RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (501) < ... 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 3, The Beast Marches On...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2010,20:00   

Collin does nested hierarchies:  
Zachriel said: “You are mistaken. Cars do not form a singular, objective nested hierarchy across most traits. They do not reproduce themselves. And we observe they are manufactured by a peculiar species of biped.”

I don’t know what you mean by ’singular’ and ‘objective’ but automobiles certainly do form nested hierarchies.

For example:
A tacoma is a toyota, but not all toyotas are tacomas. Toyotas are automobiles, but not automobiles are toyotas.

Hey, Collin, nest this:  
The Geo/Chevrolet Prizm (Chevrolet Prizm starting 1998) was a United States-market entry-level compact car from model years 1989 through 2002. Like the 1985–1988 Chevrolet Nova it replaced, the Prizm was a rebadged version of the Toyota Sprinter, an upmarket version of the Toyota Corolla sold in Japan. All Prizms were built at NUMMI (New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc), a joint venture plant between Toyota and General Motors in Fremont, California.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2010,20:30   

Quote (REC @ Jan. 11 2010,14:16)
Man alive, it is TARDy over there this week-and it is only Monday.
On track for a Friday meltdown?

I think the TARDis has cracked open, exposing the Eye of TARD, or something - we're traveling through time with it.

Or is it the TARDularity? ???

--------------
"Just think if every species had a different genetic code We would have to eat other humans to survive.." : Joe G

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2010,20:31   

Quote (olegt @ Jan. 11 2010,20:00)
Collin does nested hierarchies:  
Zachriel said: “You are mistaken. Cars do not form a singular, objective nested hierarchy across most traits. They do not reproduce themselves. And we observe they are manufactured by a peculiar species of biped.”

I don’t know what you mean by ’singular’ and ‘objective’ but automobiles certainly do form nested hierarchies.

For example:
A tacoma is a toyota, but not all toyotas are tacomas. Toyotas are automobiles, but not automobiles are toyotas.

Hey, Collin, nest this:  
The Geo/Chevrolet Prizm (Chevrolet Prizm starting 1998) was a United States-market entry-level compact car from model years 1989 through 2002. Like the 1985–1988 Chevrolet Nova it replaced, the Prizm was a rebadged version of the Toyota Sprinter, an upmarket version of the Toyota Corolla sold in Japan. All Prizms were built at NUMMI (New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc), a joint venture plant between Toyota and General Motors in Fremont, California.

Maybe cars are like Bacteria and have lateral transfer?

--------------
"Just think if every species had a different genetic code We would have to eat other humans to survive.." : Joe G

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2010,21:03   

Welcome, Arch Thompson, 11000th member!

Most users ever online was 1043 on Aug. 12 2008,05:34

I went back and looked at the UDII thread, it looks like a completely average day of ridiculing TARD. Does anyone remember why so many people were online that day?

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2010,22:03   

i looked here but i dunno

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/8/12/headlines

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2010,22:30   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Jan. 11 2010,21:03)

I went back and looked at the UDII thread, it looks like a completely average day of ridiculing TARD. Does anyone remember why so many people were online that day?

Aug 12, 2008 starts here. On Aug 11 DaveScot challenged Maya but I don't know if this caused the traffic.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,12:04   

Quote (sparc @ Jan. 11 2010,22:30)

Aug 12, 2008 starts here. On Aug 11 DaveScot challenged Maya but I don't know if this caused the traffic.

Beautiful!  I recommend following that link - good stuff!

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,12:15   

May sound stupid, but it's true.

I recall a scandal some years ago where Cadillac was short on engines and installed some Chevy engines at the factory. The design was identical, but Caddy charged a lot more for engines with their badge. I don't recall if they were ever manufactured in different plants.

Not to mention, many innovative features jump from the original brand to other brands.

--------------
”let’s not make a joke of ourselves.”

Pat Robertson

Maya

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,12:17   

Quote (sparc @ Jan. 11 2010,22:30)

I remember that.  It was shortly after he posted a video of William Shatner, in his Boston Legal character, making some less than gentlemanly comments about women.  Davey cited the sentiments approvingly, evidently failing to realize that Shatner was acting.

Not the way to get a girl's phone number.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,12:26   

I predict this cure for malaria will soon be touted on UD, if it hasn't been already. If Hydrogen peroxide, why not bleach?

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nationa....8e.html

--------------
”let’s not make a joke of ourselves.”

Pat Robertson

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,12:29   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Jan. 12 2010,13:15)

I recall a scandal some years ago where Cadillac was short on engines and installed some Chevy engines at the factory. The design was identical, but Caddy charged a lot more for engines with their badge. I don't recall if they were ever manufactured in different plants.

Not to mention, many innovative features jump from the original brand to other brands.

My previous car was a Mazda built in Korea and sold as a Ford.

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

RDK

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,13:18   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Jan. 12 2010,12:15)

Therefore, Jebus.

Fixed for moar justice.

Dear Christ, I just read Dennis's latest rant.  Someone mail the Nobel to O'Leary for her achievements in the study of both snails and felines:

Yes, cats are definitely more intelligent than snails, but everyone knows that.

Women belong in the kitchen; everyone knows that!

Make it a gyro, Dennis; I'm feeling Greek today for some reason.

Also, David Anderson continues the age-old UD tradition of bitching at evangelical Christian Darwinists, a la Francis Collins and Denis Alexander:

He argues that Alexander has mangled Scripture, managing to harmonise it with Darwinism only by using methods which are distinctly and disastrously contrary to evangelical orthodoxy. Moreover, he finds Alexander’s methods in handling of key scientific issues to be logically flawed. In this book he shows us how weak the new Darwinist evangelicals’ arguments are, and why Bible believing Christians can continue to place strong confidence in the Scriptures and the church’s historic understanding of them.

Needless to say, I laughed.

--------------
If you are not:
Leviathan
please Logout under Meta in the sidebar.

‘‘I was like ‘Oh my God! It’s Jesus on a banana!’’  - Lisa Swinton, Jesus-eating pagan

dogdidit

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,13:25   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Jan. 12 2010,12:15)

The first Chrysler K cars (the front-wheel drive Omni and Horizon) had VW engines in them. Perfect example of HGT.

And then there were those Oldsmobiles that GM sold in 1977 with Chevy 350 engines instead of the "Rocket 88s" that the customers had been led to expect (and had paid a premium for).

--------------
"Humans carry plants and animals all over the globe, thus introducing them to places they could never have reached on their own. That certainly increases biodiversity." - D'OL

Maya

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,14:21   

Denyse shows off her research skills again:
Flu kills millions every year

Well, maybe not:
Regular flu in the United States kills about 30,000 people in an average year.
. . .
A regular year worldwide is for 250,000 to 500,000 people to die from the flu.

Where did she print receive her journalism diploma again?

RDK

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,14:47   

Quote (Maya @ Jan. 12 2010,14:21)

Well, maybe not:

. . .

She could have meant outside of the United States, but I doubt Dennis thinks there is such a thing as "outside of the United States", even though she's apparently from Canada.  Oh well; fight blog with blog, I suppose:

Leviathan
01/12/2010
3:39 pm

Mrs. O’Leary,

Really? This is news to me….according to this source, the figure is quite different:

. . .

[URL=http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/.....-2009.html]

I wouldn't expect this to come out of the moderation queue anytime soon, though; Barry has me on his shit-list after that last load he dropped in the morality thread.

--------------
If you are not:
Leviathan

‘‘I was like ‘Oh my God! It’s Jesus on a banana!’’  - Lisa Swinton, Jesus-eating pagan

Maya

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,14:49   

Quote (RDK @ Jan. 12 2010,14:47)
[quote]23
Leviathan
01/12/2010

Mrs. O’Leary,

Really? This is news to me….according to this source, the figure is quite different:

. . .

I'm not sure I know you well enough to have my hand in your sock.

Reg

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,14:57   

Quote (Maya @ Jan. 12 2010,14:21)

Well, maybe not:

. . .

Flu does kill millions each year; everyone knows that and your "250,000 to 500,000 deaths worldwide" claim doesn't pass the horse laugh of common sense which should be the benchmark for quality research. So there.

--------------
"Even though I am not a creationist by any reasonable definition ... the Cambrian explosion was doubtless the work of God in my view but I would say that of all creation." - Denyse O'Leary, Oct 17, 2009.

RDK

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,15:07   

Quote (Maya @ Jan. 12 2010,14:47)

Leviathan
01/12/2010

Mrs. O’Leary,

. . .

I'm not sure I know you well enough to have my hand in your sock.

Perhaps if I take you out for a nice dinner?  I hear the Baylor cafeteria makes a mean sloppy joe.

--------------
If you are not:
Leviathan

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,15:18   

Joe G. is EVERYWHERE now Blipey has stopped poking him on his blog...

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

RDK

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,15:26   

Coincidentally Broseph trots out the "how many mutations" argument:

Joseph
01/12/2010
3:48 pm

Lenoxus,

The very definition of “transitional” and “intermediate” says that a nested hierarchy is not expected from descent with modification.

Darwin “explained” the distinct categories by calling on well-timed extinctions.

As for whales being descended from land animals- how can we test that?

How many mutations did it take?

How can it be measured?

How many transitions were required?

In case my post magically un-creates itself in the near future:

Leviathan
01/12/2010
3:59 pm

Joseph, before I go about answering those questions you’ve posed, would you mind answering a few of mine?

I have a creeping suspicion that you are not a descendant of your proposed grandfather. Unless you can show, with plain and direct evidence, each step in the development process from the fertilization of the egg, all the way through the fetal stages in the womb, and in addition each phase of childhood up through adulthood into this very day, I refuse to believe the silly notion that you are a product of a simple sperm and egg coming together in the body of a female human.

--------------
If you are not:
Leviathan

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,16:10   

You'd think the LeaderTards would have a quiet word and tell him "You're not helping", but the beauty is they have no such awareness!

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

KCdgw

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,17:04   

Quote (RDK @ Jan. 12 2010,15:26)
Coincidentally Broseph trots out the "how many mutations" argument:

Joseph
01/12/2010
3:48 pm

Lenoxus,

The very definition of “transitional” and “intermediate” says that a nested hierarchy is not expected from descent with modification.

Darwin “explained” the distinct categories by calling on well-timed extinctions.

As for whales being descended from land animals- how can we test that?

How many mutations did it take?

How can it be measured?

In case my post magically un-creates itself in the near future:

Leviathan
01/12/2010
3:59 pm

Joseph, before I go about answering those questions you’ve posed, would you mind answering a few of mine?

I have a creeping suspicion that you are not a descendant of your proposed grandfather. Unless you can show, with plain and direct evidence, each step in the development process from the fertilization of the egg, all the way through the fetal stages in the womb, and in addition each phase of childhood up through adulthood into this very day, I refuse to believe the silly notion that you are a product of a simple sperm and egg coming together in the body of a female human.

The only thing that would satisfy cakeboy and jerry is a video nano-cam with a strap-on time machine.

--------------
Those who know the truth are not equal to those who love it-- Confucius

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,17:48   

It looks as if Zachriel is subject to a silent bannination. This was posted 21.5247 hours ago and has now been deleted.

Collin: I don’t know what you mean by ’singular’ and ‘objective’ but automobiles certainly do form nested hierarchies.

Zachriel: Vehicles can be formed into any of a number of nested hierarchies depending on the traits chosen. The most obvious classification is by make, brand, model and year. But we could group them by heavy truck, pickup truck, sedan, roadster, motorcycle. Or by accessories, radio, brakes, air bags, fuel injections.

When an innovation occurs in vehicle manufacture, it quickly spreads across the lineages. If Ford gets a radio, soon Chevy and Dodge will have radios too. And we can mix-and-match; so a car and a pickup makes a Ranchero. Or put different tires on it, or an engine from another line.

Life doesn’t work like that. New traits have to be modifications of existing traits in the same line. It’s as if there is a separate designer for each lineage who can’t see what anyone else is doing. And lineages branch off with most stems going extinct, just what is expected of blind tinkering.

The nested hierarchy for life applies to nearly every trait, morphological, genomic, embryonic, even the succession of fossil through time. Even the exceptions are instructive. Consider the hydrodynamic shape of dolphins. Aquatic like fish, yet they are clearly mammals (heart, lung, embryonic hind limbs, not to mention mammary glands). In fact, their hydrodynamic shapes supports adaptation, and we can therefore predict that they had ancestors with reduced hind limbs.

The nested hierarchy is a very powerful pattern. If you say you have an organism with mammary glands, we can predict it will have a complex eukaryote cell structure with organelles such as mitochondria, that it ingests other organisms for nourishment, has bilateral symmetry, an alimentary canal, a bony head at one end with an array of sense organs, vertebrae protecting a nerve cord, integument, jaw, ribs, four limbs during at least at some stage of life, neck, neocortex, endothermic, internal fertilization, four-chambered heart, lungs with alveoli and a muscular diaphragm, two eyes, three ear bones in each of two ears, hair or at least hair follicles at some stage of life, sebaceous glands, most probably will have heterodont dentition.

All that from mammary glands. These are not trivial correlations, but among the most fundamental relationships in biology.

You might say a designer could make it look that way. But humans don’t. When we consider a Centaur, we can say with some assurance, it could never have existed as a natural organism. Half-man, half-horse, six limbs, it has no plausible evolutionary ancestors. But it does have the signature of design.

Finally, this pattern is exactly what is expected of an uncrossed branching process. We can even reconstruct a nested hierarchy from the stems if all the variations are random.

Accepting Collin's concerns on good faith, it can take some time to provide a detailed answer. Nevertheless, the post was deleted. They must have a serious problem with mammary glands.

Several other comments were deleted including a response to this doozy:

Zachriel: Well, fossils have been used to argue that dinosaurs once roamed the Earth.

Joseph: And the absence of fossils cannot be used to argue that humans did not exist during the age of dinosaurs.

As well as deleted replies to Collin's quote-mine about Punctuated Equilibrium. Strangely enough, they allowed a correction to a deleted post.

--------------
Tard Acquisition and Repository Department

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,17:57   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Jan. 12 2010,16:10)
You'd think the LeaderTards would have a quiet word and tell him "You're not helping", but the beauty is they have no such awareness!

Not a George Milton among them.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

creeky belly

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,18:00   

This looks like as good of a place as any to end this thread. Take us home, God's iPod!
Gods iPod
01/12/2010
6:21 pm

In my view, and I know a little about vaccines, they should be avoided at all costs. Vaccines are the last vestige of quackery in modern medicine.

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,18:00   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Jan. 12 2010,13:18)

And, with all that time freed up, doing a bang-up job of winning friends and influencing people:

Michael Tuite

01/12/2010

2:48 pm

Joseph,
Your bluster is both amusing and sad. You seem to believe that the strength of your commitment to nonsense will somehow make it true. Of course evolution (descent with modification) predicts the observed nested hierarchy. Perhaps you perceive that observation to be a threat to your hopes for eternal salvation, but neither you nor the addleheaded “creation scientists” upon whom you seem to rely exclusively can refute it.
Read a book (by someone outside your comfort zone).
Michael

Michael is clearly doomed.

ETA:  Oooh! This one is even better:

Joseph,
NEWS FLASH: Evidence against nested hierarchy of life has yet to reach actual scientists.
You seem to imagine that your average biologist (neo and paleo) is far too cognitively enfeebled to get his or her pants on every morning because they don’t recognize the value of your arguments against a fundamental tenet of biology. Or, do you imagine them as otherwise competent practitioners of science who fall zombie-like under the sway of their Fasco-Atheist Overlords whenever their research strays into “origins” territory?
Can you point to a single publication, outside the creationist literature, that offers evidence against the observed nested hierarchy of life?
Michael

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,18:02   

Quote (creeky belly @ Jan. 12 2010,19:00)
This looks like as good of a place as any to end this thread. Take us home, God's iPod!

Gods iPod
01/12/2010
6:21 pm

In my view, and I know a little about vaccines, they should be avoided at all costs. Vaccines are the last vestige of quackery in modern medicine.

I am still trying to get my mind around the idea that "disease is good" whatever part of political/religious crap it comes from.

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,18:07   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Jan. 12 2010,15:18)

We all owe Blipey a debt of gratitude. Do it for the Blipey!

--------------
Tard Acquisition and Repository Department

RDK

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,21:21   

Joseph denies a common grandfather:

Joseph
01/12/2010
6:58 pm

That is not a question and I never proposed a grandfather.

And why should I care about your ignorance pertaining to reproduction?

I think I peed my pants a little.

--------------
If you are not:
Leviathan

RDK

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2010,21:23   

For posterity here's my follow-up post.  It took a Herculean display of willpower for me to restrain myself from outright calling Broseph a fucking retarded moron; my comments have been getting through moderation lately and I don't want to fuck it up.

It is indeed a question. How can we test your lineage?

How much development did it take?

How can it be measured?

and I never proposed a grandfather.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I take out of this that you don’t believe your existence is due to your mother and father’s parents on both sides mating in order to bring about your parents, and then your parents mating to bring about you? You expect everyone here to believe you magically “poofed” into existence as a fully-formed adult male?

Can't wait for his reply!  Dumbass.

--------------
If you are not:
Leviathan

15001 replies since Sep. 04 2009,16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (501) < ... 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]