RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (501) < ... 431 432 433 434 435 [436] 437 438 439 440 441 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 3, The Beast Marches On...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
socle

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2011,15:07   

Denyse: Karl Giberson and his famous "double helix" guitar

khan

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2011,15:13   

Quote (damitall @ June 16 2011,08:21)
It's like the good old "weasel" days.

GERM of TAKI would rather cut  his own liver out than admit he's ever been wrong

I've noticed that about all IDiots/fundies/cranks.  It doesn't matter what it was. It's ignored or caused by satan or "you're bad!"

Seems to be related to their absolute inability to grasp the concept of science (or even discourse).

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2011,15:18   

BA:

And all this helps a neo-Darwinists sleep better at night how???

I'm reminded of something J.K. Rowling said when a parent complained about the trend of the HP books going darker and scarier.

She said, "I'm not writing this to make people's children feel safe."

Perhaps reality isn't made to make people feel safe.

--------------
”let’s not make a joke of ourselves.”

Pat Robertson

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2011,15:19   

Quote (Learned Hand @ June 16 2011,13:29)

Quote (Zachriel @ June 16 2011,11:56)

DrREC: *crickets*

Hmm. There seems to be a pattern. They went quiet for a while, as if they were having their memories erased, and the system rebooted. Then they start right where they left off.

bornagain77: And yet the ‘fitness’ (functional complexity) never increased over the parent species in the parent species native environment!!!

Of course it didn't increase over the native environment, but evolved to fit the environment it was actually in.

Oh gee whiz.

Did the environment change in this experiment?  My (ill-informed) understanding was that the environment was held static.  Isn't the result therefore that fitness did, in fact, increase "over the parent species in the parent species['] native environment"?

It would depend on what bornagain77 means by "native environment", but he seems to mean in the gastrointestinal tract.

Think he's talking about his colon.

-
edited for improved digestion

--------------
Tard Acquisition and Repository Department

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2011,15:25   

Quote (midwifetoad @ June 16 2011,13:18)
BA:

And all this helps a neo-Darwinists sleep better at night how???

I'm reminded of something J.K. Rowling said when a parent complained about the trend of the HP books going darker and scarier.

She said, "I'm not writing this to make people's children feel safe."

Perhaps reality isn't made to make people feel safe.

Heh. Heresy!

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

steve_h

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2011,20:56   

DeNews: People apologised when the speaker for design was shouted down, but …              
At Evolution News & Views today, our JonathanM describes (June 16, 2011) an encounter with a true blue dyed-in-the-wool slam dunk total believing Darwinist (the Aristotle of Morris, Minnesota, US):                
Colliding With The Pharyngula: My Encounter With PZ Myers. Myers did mention the questions at the beginning of his lecture (describing yours truly as a “flaming moron”). He did not, however, despite promising to do so, provide satisfactory rebuttals to the questions at all during the course of his presentation (though he did attempt a response to one of the ten questions).
During the course of the Q&A, I raised a question concerning the lack of congruence between homology and developmental pathways, citing several papers to substantiate my claims (which I gave to PZ following the talk). What ensued was an eruption of jeering and mocking from the floor. It became so loud at one point that it was difficult to audibly articulate the point. A few people apologised afterwards.
But apology means never having to say you’re quarry.

At www.evolutionnews,org, Jonathan M recalls how he pwned PZ, but then an angry mob of vicious evilutionists turned on him, drowning out his innocent sciency question with their loud braying before murdering him and burying his mangled body under an Irn Bru distillery.
He modestly leaves us with a link to the Full presentation (minus the Q and A), rather than the record of his moment of intellectual superiority and martyrdom (in the Q & A)

Eta: DrRec has a more measured response and another one

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2011,22:51   

Thanks for the link Steve, I had not found it poking around today.

Edited by Dr.GH on June 17 2011,15:59

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

noam_ghish

(Permalink) Posted: June 17 2011,18:27   

just testing to see if i can post.

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: June 17 2011,21:08   

Quote (noam_ghish @ June 17 2011,16:27)

Apparently you can. Welcome to the funhouse.

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

tsig

(Permalink) Posted: June 17 2011,21:15   

Quote (Driver @ June 15 2011,18:24)
Quote (Woodbine @ June 15 2011,18:17)
Flipping channels for a moment to JAD-tv.....

To give all my hundreds of readers some idea of what we are up against, I just discovered that all Bank of England 10 pound notes bear the image of Charles Darwin autographed by Richard Dawkins. No wonder Myers, Dawkins and Elsberry ignore us. After all, they have the British Government behind them. All we have is the testimony of the experimental laboratory and the entire fossil record.

http://jadavison.wordpress.com/2008....nt-3397

Dawkins doesn't sign the notes LOL :D
Darwin's signature is on them.

Well, that's an obvious forgery therefore Jesus!!!

Cubist

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2011,02:30   

Quote (noam_ghish @ June 17 2011,18:27)

No, you cannot post. Sorry!

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2011,11:56   

Kairosflatus takes offense:

But, this is not the main issue for this post.

That comes up when Mr Hamby provides a “definition” of ID:

Intelligent design suggests that the complexity of the universe cannot be explained by evolution alone, and must also be attributed to a creator or supernatural being.

The noive. KF sets them straight:

They both chose to make an inaccurate, strawman definition of ID, which sets up the mis-framing of ID as an unjustifiable injection of “religion”  and “the supernatural”on science and science education.

Meanwhile, downpage, StephenB makes clear that there is but one alternative to aimless Darwinsm for anyone who is capable of reasoning in the abstract:

According to the Bible, God created the universe so that He and His creatures could enter into an eternal, loving relationship. Christians, insofar as they accept that teaching, can readily understand their role in the cosmos and the broader context in which they find life’s meaning. In this context, God acted as both creator and designer: God brought time, space, and matter into existence and then “formed” man out of the dust of the earth.

CNN, how DARE you conflate the "design" of "intelligent design" with the actions of a supernatural being?

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2011,19:20   

Tardfight!

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2011,20:41   

I see they're back to the Problem of Evil.  Again.

It'll all be Adam (and Eve's) fault for trying a fruit diet.  Again.

There'll be no satisfactory explanation of why an omniscient being didn't see it coming a mile off and why an omnipotent being didn't do anything about it.  Again.

There'll be no moral justification for punishing not just the original offenders but all their descendants in perpetuity.  Again.

There'll be no explanation of why God lied to Adam and no discussion of what that implies for everything else God is reported to have said.  Again.

Finally, and much more fundamentally, there will be no discussion of why a necessary being, such as the Christian God must be to be an Uncaused First Cause, would ever create a Universe and populate it with beings with whom he wants to enter into a loving relationship. Again.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2011,20:44   

There'll be no satisfactory explanation of why an omniscient being didn't see it coming a mile off and why an omnipotent being didn't do anything about it.

Makes you wonder if heaven isn't all marketing hype.

--------------
”let’s not make a joke of ourselves.”

Pat Robertson

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2011,21:09   

All I see is that it took a supernatural creature to deceive the woman, but it only took a woman to deceive the man. ;)
:D

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

MichaelJ

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2011,22:34   

Quote (Seversky @ June 19 2011,11:41)
I see they're back to the Problem of Evil.  Again.

There'll be no satisfactory explanation of why an omniscient being didn't see it coming a mile off and why an omnipotent being didn't do anything about it.  Again.

There'll be no moral justification for punishing not just the original offenders but all their descendants in perpetuity.  Again.

There'll be no explanation of why God lied to Adam and no discussion of what that implies for everything else God is reported to have said.  Again.

Finally, and much more fundamentally, there will be no discussion of why a necessary being, such as the Christian God must be to be an Uncaused First Cause, would ever create a Universe and populate it with beings with whom he wants to enter into a loving relationship. Again.

Christianity must be the only religion that has formed a group (Apologists) to explain away the contradictions in their holy book.

I give their type of Christianity a decade before it dies out as a significant political and cultural force. It is too hard now to hide competing ideas from kids

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2011,00:54   

Is there really any active IDEA club in California?

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

damitall

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2011,03:46   

Quote (Kristine @ June 18 2011,21:09)
All I see is that it took a supernatural creature to deceive the woman, but it only took a woman to deceive the man. ;)
:D

He wasn't deceived.

He took the risk in pursuit of a little hanky-panky.

As we all would

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2011,04:56   

Quote (Seversky @ June 19 2011,02:41)
[SNIP]

[SNIP]

Proving, once again, that God is from the South West of the England (probably Cornwall, possibly Somerset due to the cider) and the greatest crime in the universe is scrumping.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2011,07:36   

Quote (Louis @ June 19 2011,10:56)
[SNIP]

[SNIP]

Proving, once again, that God is from the South West of the England (probably Cornwall, possibly Somerset due to the cider) and the greatest crime in the universe is scrumping.

Louis

So when Eve ate the apple from the tree of knowledge, she gained in-cider information?

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2011,08:33   

Quote (Amadan @ June 19 2011,15:36)
[SNIP]

[SNIP]

Louis

So when Eve ate the apple from the tree of knowledge, she gained in-cider information?

So did Adam he said it was delicious

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"Abbie Smith (ERV) who's got to be the most obnoxious arrogant snot I've ever seen except for when I look in a mirror" DAVE TARD
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2011,08:55   

Quote (Amadan @ June 19 2011,07:36)

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

Louis

Remember the Firefly episode where Mal finds himself unwittingly married?  Shepherd Book warns him to be on his best behavior?

If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater...

...and people who inflict puns like that on the rest of us.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2011,09:01   

Quote (Amadan @ June 19 2011,13:36)
[SNIP]

[SNIP]

Louis

You, sir, win one internet!

It is sheer chance I wasn't drinking at the time or you'd also win one bill for a keyboard.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2011,09:38   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ June 18 2011,19:20)
Tardfight!

God is not an amateur, nor does He find it necessary to go through such a discursive process. Quite the contrary, God can decide exactly what He wants and achieve the desired result every time.

—”So a “Christian Darwinist” can understand what it means to “begin with the end in mind” and reasonably reject your argument.”

We are discussing what it means for GOD to begin with an end in mind. If a Christian Darwinist understands what that means, he will abandon Christian Darwinism.

Well, I followed this. But remember, I was also able to follow Antonin Artaud's thinking when he was slipping into paranoid schizophrenia and insisting that Jesus Christ was going to fight the Holy Spirit (because the H.S. is the sustainer of the world, whereas Christ seeks to create a new heaven and new earth, etc.). ;)

As I've said before, their posts are revealing, if not revelation.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

khan

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2011,14:40   

Quote (Kristine @ June 19 2011,10:38)
Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ June 18 2011,19:20)
Tardfight!

God is not an amateur, nor does He find it necessary to go through such a discursive process. Quite the contrary, God can decide exactly what He wants and achieve the desired result every time.

—”So a “Christian Darwinist” can understand what it means to “begin with the end in mind” and reasonably reject your argument.”

We are discussing what it means for GOD to begin with an end in mind. If a Christian Darwinist understands what that means, he will abandon Christian Darwinism.

Well, I followed this. But remember, I was also able to follow Antonin Artaud's thinking when he was slipping into paranoid schizophrenia and insisting that Jesus Christ was going to fight the Holy Spirit (because the H.S. is the sustainer of the world, whereas Christ seeks to create a new heaven and new earth, etc.). ;)

As I've said before, their posts are revealing, if not revelation.

I thought Jehovah & Jesus & the Holy Spirit were all the same (or some such).

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

lkeithlu

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2011,16:39   

Been awhile since I've been here. A couple of days after I left UD, this was posted at the end of my thread...

jimdman
04/06/2011
7:38 am
From bornagain77 in comment 10:

The following sources show unequivocally that ‘Lucy’, the supposed superstar of human evolution, was an ape:

“these australopith specimens (Lucy) can be accommodated with the range of intraspecific variation of African apes”
Nature 443 (9/2006), p.296

No, this quote has been taken out of context in a way which completely changes its meaning. If you read the original paper, which is about the juvenile australopith skeleton from Dikika nicknamed Selam, it is clear that they are not saying that the apiths are anatomically within the range of any modern ape species. What they are saying is that the amount of anatomical variation found in the apiths under discussion is comparable to that found within modern apes species.

Here’s what the original quote says:

“…, as all the variation subsumed by these australopith specimens can be accommodated with the range of intraspecific variation of African apes”

...and it was left unchallenged. Now, I see, I can't even log into ID. Have they changed their format?

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2011,16:59   

Quote (lkeithlu @ June 20 2011,09:39)
Now, I see, I can't even log into ID. Have they changed their format?

I think it is just that particular thread:

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

I can still log on for other threads; possibly it is just a time-out thing, as the OP for that one dates back to early April.

--------------
“To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today.” - Isaac Asimov

"Grow up, assface" - Joe G., grown up ID spokesperson, Sandwalk, April 2014

Woodbine

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2011,17:50   

Quote (lkeithlu @ June 19 2011,22:39)
...and it was left unchallenged. Now, I see, I can't even log into ID. Have they changed their format?

No, they're still twats.

Edited by Lou FCD on June 21 2011,22:23

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2011,18:05   

Quote (Woodbine @ June 19 2011,17:50)
Quote (lkeithlu @ June 19 2011,22:39)

No, they're still twats.

POTW!

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

15001 replies since Sep. 04 2009,16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (501) < ... 431 432 433 434 435 [436] 437 438 439 440 441 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]