RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (501) < ... 345 346 347 348 349 [350] 351 352 353 354 355 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 3, The Beast Marches On...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,08:48   

I imagine Frill and his dad ~ this here

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on
He took a face from the ancient gallery
And he walked on down the hall
He went into the room where his sister lived, and...then he
Paid a visit to his brother, and then he
He walked on down the hall, and
And he came to a door...and he looked inside
Father, yes son, I want to kill you

Frill vacillates between admiring him and wanting to wear his skin.

I agree with seversky that this pattern seems to repeat in the world of people and emotions

For some people, a major personal crisis can come as a rude awakening to just how fragile is the little world we take for granted and, indeed, our hold on life itself.  Having been violently ejected from their zone of unwarranted complacency, people will grab on to any lifeline that is thrown to them and hang on like grim death.  It is also why such converts are so vehement in defense of their new-found faith.  In a sense, it is all they have.

but i cannot for the life of me understand why it is so.  what is wrong with the void?

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,11:26   

Quote (Seversky @ Feb. 25 2011,06:30)
First, we have the unsupported equation of militant atheist with terrible person which, for him, has to be the case for his present condition to be a vast improvement over what it was.

I read Gil's testifyin' as the equation of Gil Dodgen with terrible person.  That's not unsupported.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it.
- Robert Byers

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,12:02   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Feb. 24 2011,12:55)

what does harry barry say about that?  without a touch of irony

Oh no...trust me, he's full of irony there.

Quoted from the Gilster:

Certainly, I remember the media emphasis being on cold winters and on expected famines in climate disaster reports of that time.

It just amazes me every time I read some clown like that who doesn't understand the difference between weather and climate. It's not unlike claiming that reports about droughts are clearly false because Earth is nearly 3/4 water.

ETA: moved quote

--------------
we IDists rule in design for the flagellum and cilium largely because they do look designed.  Bilbo

The only reason you reject Thor is because, like a cushion, you bear the imprint of the biggest arse that sat on you. Louis

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,12:32   

Get a copy of Sewell's article in Applied Mathematics Letters while it lasts. It will be a collector's item next week.

doi:10.1016/j.aml.2011.01.019.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,12:39   

Quote (olegt @ Feb. 25 2011,13:32)
Get a copy of Sewell's article in Applied Mathematics Letters while it lasts. It will be a collector's item next week.

The response I got:

Dear Dr. vun Kannon,

Thank you very much for alerting us to the impropriety of publishing Granville Sewell’s “A Second Look at the Second Law” . We agree with you, and are in the process of removing it from our website and rescinding its acceptance.

Applied Mathematics Letters is attempting to live up to its aim of being an outlet of "rapid publication". Unfortunately, this may sometimes lead to hastiness, as was the case in this instance.

Please accept our apologies for our erroneous judgement in even considering this paper for publication.

Sincerely yours,

Ervin Y. Rodin
Senior Professor and Director
Center for Optimization and Semantic Control

Editor-in-Chief:
       Computers and Mathematics with Applications
        Mathematical and Computer Modelling
       Applied Mathematics Letters

ETA: boldenation

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,12:41   

Hi David,

Not sure whether it's a good idea to post a private email message. Unless you have the editor's permission, of course.

Besides, you're spoiling the surprise!

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,12:47   

Quote (olegt @ Feb. 25 2011,13:41)
Hi David,

Not sure whether it's a good idea to post a private email message. Unless you have the editor's permission, of course.

I will gladly apologize to Dr Rodin if necessary. I realized after hitting the enter key that it was edging into inappropriate.

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,12:54   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Feb. 25 2011,12:47)
Hi David,

I will gladly apologize to Dr Rodin if necessary. I realized after hitting the enter key that it was edging into inappropriate.

Is a "Friday Meltdown Good News Release" ever going to be actually inappropriate?

I for one say thanks for pursuing this - and thanks for making my day. :)

added in edit:  It's a good thing I'm done having kids, or I'd saddle the next one with "dvunk" as a name!

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,12:59   

This is not -- repeat, NOT -- going to get you out of moderation.

--------------
”let’s not make a joke of ourselves.”

Pat Robertson

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,13:09   

Quote (J-Dog @ Feb. 25 2011,13:54)

Hi David,

Is a "Friday Meltdown Good News Release" ever going to be actually inappropriate?

added in edit:  It's a good thing I'm done having kids, or I'd saddle the next one with "dvunk" as a name!

You can use it for a favorite pet, farm animal, plant or sexual practice.

--------------

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,13:11   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Feb. 25 2011,12:39)

The response I got:

Dear Dr. vun Kannon,

Thank you very much for alerting us to the impropriety of publishing Granville Sewell’s “A Second Look at the Second Law” . We agree with you, and are in the process of removing it from our website and rescinding its acceptance.

Dude, you are SOOOOO in trouble.....

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,13:17   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Feb. 25 2011,13:59)
This is not -- repeat, NOT -- going to get you out of moderation.

baahahahahahaha

about like that shit

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,13:54   

Quote (olegt @ Feb. 25 2011,10:32)

I'm going to keep this for future ranting purposes.  Next time we get a rejection, I can stomp around yelling "But this pile of shite?  This pile of shite got published!"  Should be less painful than banging my head on the desk.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it.
- Robert Byers

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,14:50   

Ummm John unless you are submitting to "Applied Mathematics Letters" <snicker> then you can say "at least it didn't get accepted by Applied Mathematics Letters" then off to the pub.  

Maybe the reviewers saw that hideous picture of Papaw Granville's breakfast in the micropores of his chin and said "What the fuck he'll be dead by the time it gets published".  which you know has probably happened before and if it hasn't maybe it's time now.

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,14:50   

bug shoite

--------------

sledgehammer

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,15:00   

ETA: Comment moved to TBW, ... to help it's approach to the 500 page mark. woot!

--------------
The majority of the stupid is invincible and guaranteed for all time. The terror of their tyranny is alleviated by their lack of consistency. -A. Einstein  (H/T, JAD)
If evolution is true, you could not know that it's true because your brain is nothing but chemicals. ?Think about that. -K. Hovind

MichaelJ

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,15:27   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Feb. 25 2011,23:48)
I imagine Frill and his dad ~ this here

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on
He took a face from the ancient gallery
And he walked on down the hall
He went into the room where his sister lived, and...then he
Paid a visit to his brother, and then he
He walked on down the hall, and
And he came to a door...and he looked inside
Father, yes son, I want to kill you

Frill vacillates between admiring him and wanting to wear his skin.

I agree with seversky that this pattern seems to repeat in the world of people and emotions

For some people, a major personal crisis can come as a rude awakening to just how fragile is the little world we take for granted and, indeed, our hold on life itself.  Having been violently ejected from their zone of unwarranted complacency, people will grab on to any lifeline that is thrown to them and hang on like grim death.  It is also why such converts are so vehement in defense of their new-found faith.  In a sense, it is all they have.

but i cannot for the life of me understand why it is so.  what is wrong with the void?

I still believe that Frill, though smarter then average, was the intellectual runt of the litter living in a university town. Remember how he flounced out of UD when people questioned him on the use of the sim program. I think this shows how sensitive he is about his intellect.
Being born-again enables him to be smarter than dear old dad

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,17:39   

Three cheers for dvunkannon!

I have a headache, and so I cheered very softly.

Edited by Dr.GH on Feb. 25 2011,15:46

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,17:49   

Quote (J-Dog @ Feb. 25 2011,18:54)
It's a good thing I'm done having kids,

... you're speaking for  Mrs J-D, presumably.

PS: Vonda in Accounts asked me to remind you about the Christmas party approximately 9 weeks ago. She seemed a bit upset.

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,17:51   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Feb. 25 2011,12:50)
Maybe the reviewers saw that hideous picture of Papaw Granville's breakfast in the micropores of his chin and said "What the fuck he'll be dead by the time it gets published".  which you know has probably happened before and if it hasn't maybe it's time now.

He's been dead by the time it gets published, before?

eta verius typografikl amendmnts

--------------
"But it's disturbing to think someone actually thinks creationism -- having put it's hand on the hot stove every day for the last 400 years -- will get a different result tomorrow." -- midwifetoad

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,17:56   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Feb. 25 2011,23:39)
Three cheers for dvunkannon!

I have a headache, and so I cheered very softly.

Seconded.

It was a marvellous birthday dinner (excuse reference to another thread) and I too am somewhat sub-meteorological.

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

Maya

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,18:15   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Feb. 25 2011,12:39)
Quote (olegt @ Feb. 25 2011,13:32)

The response I got:

Dear Dr. vun Kannon,

Applied Mathematics Letters is attempting to live up to its aim of being an outlet of "rapid publication". Unfortunately, this may sometimes lead to hastiness, as was the case in this instance.

Please accept our apologies for our erroneous judgement in even considering this paper for publication.

Sincerely yours,

Ervin Y. Rodin
Senior Professor and Director
Center for Optimization and Semantic Control

Editor-in-Chief:
       Computers and Mathematics with Applications
        Mathematical and Computer Modelling
       Applied Mathematics Letters

ETA: boldenation

Anyone willing to sacrifice a sock to post this on the UD thread hyping the paper?

Maya

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,18:18   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Feb. 25 2011,13:09)
Quote (J-Dog @ Feb. 25 2011,13:54)

Hi David,

You can use it for a favorite pet, farm animal, plant or sexual practice.

Thanks.  Now the next time I have more than one glass of wine, I'll ask some guy if he'd like to dvunk, just because I know he'll say yes without having any idea what it is.

Please stop helping my brain embarrass me.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,19:10   

A moment of silence for "Muramasa", who has brought that thread to a crashing halt.  R.I.P. Muramasa.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

dochocson

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,19:44   

Quote (J-Dog @ Feb. 25 2011,17:10)
A moment of silence for "Muramasa", who has brought that thread to a crashing halt.  R.I.P. Muramasa.

There hasn't been any activity in that thread for a couple of days, so his (my?) post may fly under the radar.

May need to threadjack a current post to bring it to their attention.

--------------
All bleeding stops...eventually.

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,20:31   

Teh Evil Darwininist Atheist Conspiracy is ruining everything for poor widdle GilDo:

It appears that my atheism file created such a huge server load that my website was shut down. I’m trying to resolve the problem.

and:

After some investigation, I suspect that I might be a victim of a denial-of-service attack. This would be perfectly consistent with Darwinian tactics.

Gil: neither you nor your sad little powerpoint thingy is that fucking important.  Get the fuck over yourself.

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

Woodbine

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,21:32   

How long will this last?

dochocson

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,22:43   

Quote (Woodbine @ Feb. 25 2011,19:32)
How long will this last?

Odds are it won't appear at all.

If it does, it will be used to demonstrate how uncivil Darwinists are.

Also, if it is posted, I predict that KF will show up clutching his pearls and wailing about "slander" (I think he means libel, but legal definitions may be different in Montserrat).

--------------
All bleeding stops...eventually.

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2011,22:58   

Quote (dochocson @ Feb. 25 2011,19:44)

Quote (J-Dog @ Feb. 25 2011,17:10)

There hasn't been any activity in that thread for a couple of days, so his (my?) post may fly under the radar.

May need to threadjack a current post to bring it to their attention.

The thread actually ended three days before. Thus, we don't know if KF noticed that Noesis introduced a new term central to the science of ID:    
Noesis
02/22/2011
8:13 pm

kairosfocus,

It is evidently very hard for you to admit that you do not know the phase space of self-replicating systems. You can define no probability measure, and therefore you can get nowhere with any permutation of FIASCO.

Mathematical analysis and simulations indicate that an autocatalytic set may be much simpler than the RNA-based system constructed by Lincoln and Joyce (2010).

A sensational result of the study by Lincoln and Joyce was that recombinant replicators emerged spontaneously, and came to dominate the population. That is, there was a qualitative change in the system that no one would have predicted. The process of reproduction became more complex, in the plain-language sense of the term. I defy you to show how recombination was front-loaded into the study.
(Emphasis mine)

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

sledgehammer

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2011,00:00   

GilDodgen

02/25/2011

9:08 am

Come to think of it, those big files have been available since last July, and this happened the day after I provided the link to the atheism file. This suggests that UD has a large readership, and lots of people were interested in my presentation!

UD admins: Does UD have some spare bandwidth?

It suggests that AtBC has a large readership, (>4 million views on the UCD threads alone) and lots of people were interested in pointing and laughing at your presentation.  I know I did!
 Thanks, Gil, for providing us the wonderful, if unintentional, entertainment.

--------------
The majority of the stupid is invincible and guaranteed for all time. The terror of their tyranny is alleviated by their lack of consistency. -A. Einstein  (H/T, JAD)
If evolution is true, you could not know that it's true because your brain is nothing but chemicals. ?Think about that. -K. Hovind

15001 replies since Sep. 04 2009,16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (501) < ... 345 346 347 348 349 [350] 351 352 353 354 355 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]