RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (500) < ... 309 310 311 312 313 [314] 315 316 317 318 319 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 2, general discussion of Dembski's site< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,14:55   

Quote (Lowell @ April 27 2009,15:20)
Somebody help! Angryoldfatman is in danger!!!!:

Ludwig

04/27/2009

1:37 pm
Angryoldfatman #10:

So if other animals endanger us with their tools, we will use our tools to purposefully exterminate these other animals, rather than just accidently and haphazardly doing so as in the past.

Could you please expand on this? I don’t understand what you’re trying to say. Are you being threatened by tool-wielding wild animals?

His neighbors are Neanderthals. They let their jumped up pond scum run all over his yard.

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,15:49   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ April 25 2009,11:41)
Quote (deadman_932 @ April 25 2009,11:27)
Kairosfocus complains and, Oh, the irony, it burns:

Distractive (& too often toxic) talking points, --insistently reiterated ad nauseum-- are simply not good enough. (my emphases: DM)

GEM of TKI (here)

More complaints from El Gordo on the same thread.

[Contrast this to the tone and substance of remarks -- with a lot of personalities including violation of privacy, slanderous equation of design thought and biblical Creationism, gleeful batting into the air of accusations against me in Caribbean media that had to be corrected, etc -- made over many weeks at Anti Evo; a site with which If i recall correctly, you seem to be at least somewhat associated as a participant. I won't even bother to link what was said at that site about a respectable Grandmother, Mrs O'Leary, at the same site -- there is utterly no excuse whatsoever for reprobate and utterly disgracefully uncivil behaviour like that.

i am several pages behind but I wonder if anyone has cared to remind that sad cunt Gordon Mullings what UD moderators said about Granny Tard?

what a sack of it.  i would like to see him fight electricity.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,16:01   

Quote (dvunkannon @ April 25 2009,20:43)
Personally, I think the saddest part about Nakashima's brief career on UD was not that it ended so abruptly, but that his polite and relentlessly fact based comments got so little traction with the regulars there. Staying on topic just doesn't work in the Barrogant based UD.

Luckily, my kairosfocus sockpuppet has survived Nakashima's assault!

well weathered, worthy wielder of worlds of words

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,16:13   

Quote (keiths @ April 25 2009,22:49)
It seems to me that Gil's posts were almost always just an excuse to tout his accomplishments or to point out, at tedious length, that he was too smart to fall for the Darwinist fairytale that has hoodwinked all the pointy-headed intellectuals.  The fact that carlsonjok was so easily able to capture the formula for a Dodgen post shows how predictable and repetitive they were.

Maybe growing up with a prominent father left Gil a bit unsure of himself and in need of ego reinforcement.  UD, under the heavy cover of DaveTard's hyperbannination, provided some of that, but without that cover it's a perilous place for Gil's fragile ego.

Is Gil's frilly flounce-out for real, or is he just fishing for praise from his comrades?  Stay tuned.

ETA: If Gil was hoping for a "But Gil, we love your posts!" reaction, he must be pretty disappointed.  The most he's gotten is a tepid: "I like your writing style, Gil, and you’ve always taken the higher ground."

pfffft you say it was easy but it take the horse botherer many equine estrus cycles

and that is no luffing mattor

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,16:15   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 26 2009,02:05)
Boo - I was over there as "Harry Barrington" asking why Id predicts Junk DNA isn't junk, is all DNA functional and is there a parallel prediction about the universe. I never made the light of day, and now they don't even appear 'pending moderation'.  ???

bwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------

GCUGreyArea

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,16:37   

Atom seems to have misunderstood how theories can be falsified:
Atom
04/27/2009
3:28 pm
Sal Gal,

Pardon my intrusion, but I just read your post about Rice’s Theorem you linked to. ID in general and the explanatory filter in particular don’t claim to be able to sort design from non-design perfectly: they fail when designed objects appear to be not designed (false negatives), and can theoretically fail on a false positive (therefore ID is falsifiable), although no known example of a false positive has been shown.

Therefore, the explanatory filter just claims to be highly reliable, not a formally complete method of sorting objects into two classes.

Having an 'explanatory filter' that produces false positives is not the same as having a theory that makes predictions.  Having a theory that makes failed predictions means it IS falsified.

although no known example of a false positive has been shown.

That all rides on the assumption that biology was intelligently designed.  Knowing what some people at UD are like it would be impossible to test the explanatory filter because they will just claim that any false positive is actually an example of design by an unknown designer.

The 'explanatory filter' is an accurate description though, it filters out all explanations that don't fit their ideology.

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,16:45   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,April 27 2009,14:15)

Boo - I was over there as "Harry Barrington" asking why Id predicts Junk DNA isn't junk, is all DNA functional and is there a parallel prediction about the universe. I never made the light of day, and now they don't even appear 'pending moderation'.  ???

bwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaa

That's so unfair.  What if somebody who was really named 'Harry Barrington' wanted to comment at UD?

They should have had Denyse call the number to check if there was someone there by that name.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number.  -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,16:56   

Quote (keiths @ April 27 2009,16:45)

bwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaa

That's so unfair.  What if somebody who was really named 'Harry Barrington' wanted to comment at UD?

They should have had Denyse call the number and check to see if there was someone there by that name.

Harry Barrington would be a great mathematical journey into 'design or chance', if any of them could do math. I thought the questions were quite benign, if a bit leading.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,17:15   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 27 2009,14:56)

Quote (keiths @ April 27 2009,16:45)

bwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaa

They should have had Denyse call the number and check to see if there was someone there by that name.

Harry Barrington would be a great mathematical journey into 'design or chance', if any of them could do math. I thought the questions were quite benign, if a bit leading.

Turns out there are quite a few Harry Barringtons in the US, including a 105-year-old in Salt Lake City.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number.  -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,17:34   

Quote (khan @ April 27 2009,12:36)

Quote (keiths @ April 27 2009,13:24)
Denyse the environmentalist:

How Darwin Worship Helps Animal Extinction

Is she really this stupid?

If I die tonight, the most urgent thing I want to say is this: Putting animals on the same plane as humans not only disses humans but dooms animals.

Just imagine what would happen if we put humans and snakes on the same plane...

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,17:48   

If I die tonight, the most urgent thing I want to say is this: Putting animals on the same plane as humans not only disses humans but dooms animals.

still behind, but this may have already been addressed

don't ever do this

it's really really really bad

travesty of sorts

terrible idea

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,17:52   

Quote (Texas Teach @ April 27 2009,17:34)

Just imagine what would happen if we put humans and snakes on the same plane...

damn you i was almost caught up!!!!!  

gudden

harry barrington roflmao

you guys so crazy

--------------

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,18:23   

Hmmm ... I wonder what she thinks of the idea of putting them on the same Ark as humans?

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,18:59   

Tee-hee. With "respectable grandmother" Densey getting dissed even by the regs at UD for her inane, incompetent posts, Walter ReMine Throws his latest (fourth) diaper in the ring   to see who gets knocked unconscious and believes him.

It's typical, of course: erect three strawmen and knock them down in turn all the while displaying the usual  unsupported, uninformed insouciance. It's not even tilting against imaginary giants that are really windmills -- it's tilting against windmills that don't even exist, themselves.

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

Hermagoras

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,19:11   

Just in case:
magnan [178 and 179] refers to “the evidence of parapsychology, that minds can remotely influence the world through nonmaterial means as in psychokinesis and directed telepathy.” Like ID researchers, scientists in this area have been Expelled from the academy, as in the well-known case of Drs. Venkman, Spengler, and Stantz.

--------------
"I am not currently proving that objective morality is true. I did that a long time ago and you missed it." -- StephenB

http://paralepsis.blogspot.com/....pot.com

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,20:50   

Quote (Hermagoras @ April 27 2009,19:11)
Just in case:  
magnan [178 and 179] refers to “the evidence of parapsychology, that minds can remotely influence the world through nonmaterial means as in psychokinesis and directed telepathy.” Like ID researchers, scientists in this area have been Expelled from the academy, as in the well-known case of Drs. Venkman, Spengler, and Stantz.

But unlike the ID Expelled, Dr. Venkman actually did some science...

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,21:26   

I think that I must be missing all this quality BS from the creationists.  The fact is that I am just too tired to care right now.

I have about 100 pages of a manuscript on the Darwin=Hitler lie. The targeted book will be under 250 pages.  

I have about 150 pages of a manuscript on the theology of creationism. It is nearly done, but I want the same publisher to carry both books.

The bullshit by the creationists, and the bullshit by the anti-creationists is just a distraction.

None the less, I'll need to waste time responding to Coyone.

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,21:51   

gary i don't think you will be converting any of the creationists.  or is that your target audience?

--------------

AmandaHuginKiss

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,22:56   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ April 28 2009,14:51)
gary i don't think you will be converting any of the creationists.  or is that your target audience?

I don't think it has to be targeted at the creationists. Having a book is very powerful and a conversation stopper. The next time UD puts up a Nazism=Darwinism post we can say that the book by Dr GH shows that it is rubbish (like they do with Dembski's books - you can't criticize until you have read every single one of his books)

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,23:09   

Slimy Sal Cordova is as irony-challenged as ever:

I’ve been working with members of the Mendel Team. I met Dr. Sanford over the summer.

I very much welcome your comments and criticisms on the project.

As I mentioned, a new website is being constructed as a repository of more scholarly inputs and exchanges. The participation is by invitation only, and some of the discussions will be restricted from public view in order prevent ideas being quoted out of context or other complications.

--------------

paragwinn

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,23:17   

I am hereby swearing off the Granny tard. I need to take greater care of my remaining neurons.

--------------
All women build up a resistance [to male condescension]. Apparently, ID did not predict that. -Kristine 4-19-11
F/Ns to F/Ns to F/Ns etc. The whole thing is F/N ridiculous -Seversky on KF footnote fetish 8-20-11
Sigh. Really Bill? - Barry Arrington

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,23:24   

Quote (AmandaHuginKiss @ April 27 2009,22:56)
Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,April 28 2009,14:51)

I don't think it has to be targeted at the creationists. Having a book is very powerful and a conversation stopper. The next time UD puts up a Nazism=Darwinism post we can say that the book by Dr GH shows that it is rubbish (like they do with Dembski's books - you can't criticize until you have read every single one of his books)

only if they give a damn.  they have had 30 years of morris baumgardner baugh gish hovind ham etc etc spouting crap to cite, and now they have Ben Stein Dumbski and the rest of the Expelled Clown Troupe to cite (sorry blipes) for their 'experts'.

to these guys merit doesn't matter.  they are not critically examining any argument or claim, except for correlation with biblical interpretation (theirs).  if there is some book written by some crank out there, it serves the rhetorical purpose they need.

but bully for you GH it will make entertaining reading for the reality based community.  anyone who buys what ben stein is selling is probly a lost cause anyway.  

burn them!

just kidding.  really, sequester them until we reach the orion nebula.

--------------

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,23:29   

Gil returns to say "I meant what he said" and to share his plans for the future:

Allen MacNeill:
Furthermore, I find that there is a tendency among some theoreticians (i.e., folks who do mathematical modeling and simulations, but do not actually test them against reality in nature) to assume that, if something observed in the field does not fit the model, it is the observation that is the problem, rather than the model.

Gil:
Allen,
That was the point of my essay, and you have summarized it far more eloquently and succinctly than I did. In any event, I’ve decided to move on and invest my time in stuff that really matters, like family and ministry that edifies individual human lives.

I wonder if that means teaching LS-DYNA at Jesus Camp.

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,23:41   

Quote (keiths @ April 27 2009,12:24)

balanced by her intellectual superior at You-Know-Where

In my opinion, if an animal in the wild like a swan is caught being gay it should be shot on sight, disinfected, and used to feed the poor.

cause, uh, they aren't reproducing.  thus helping animal extinction (WTF does that mean anyway someone pm me lolololololol)

quit being gay!

goddammit quit being gay!

last time i am going to tell you stupid little diana fritillary.  i'm going to be forced to use you to feed this poor little old bream over here, silly little poofter floofter

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,23:51   

To be fair, caterpillars can do stuff that you can’t either.

oh yes herma-san.  what about the caterpillar that appears to rest above the protuberance that passes for it's nose?

if i had a face caterpillar like that i would teach it to grow dreadlocks and hang on my eyebrows.

all i know is my respectable granmaw could whup that respectable granmaw any old damn day of the week.  and jerk the heads off more chickens.  and probably skin more catfish.  and PROBLY cite more scripture while she was a doin it.

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 27 2009,23:55   

Quote (khan @ April 27 2009,13:16)
Quote (keiths @ April 27 2009,14:08)
Quote (khan @ April 27 2009,10:36)

Actually, 'plane' is the right spelling.  'Plain' would be used only if she were referring to a flat geographical feature.

Then I apologize.

but the fact remains that yes it really is that stupid

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 28 2009,00:03   

maybe someone really should go meet joseph.

pool?  nominations?  

i bet he just wants to make out.  so i nominate Rich.

--------------

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: April 28 2009,00:06   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,April 27 2009,21:55)

Quote (khan @ April 27 2009,13:16)

Quote (keiths @ April 27 2009,14:08)
Quote (khan @ April 27 2009,10:36)

Actually, 'plane' is the right spelling.  'Plain' would be used only if she were referring to a flat geographical feature.

Then I apologize.

but the fact remains that yes it really is that stupid

In fact, "Denyse is wrong" asymptotically approaches the axis of tautology.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 28 2009,00:08   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,April 28 2009,00:03)
maybe someone really should go meet joseph.

pool?  nominations?  

i bet he just wants to make out.  so i nominate Rich.

I will definitely. So would Blipey, and this isn't a pretext for 'fisticuffs'. The Internet depersonalizes people, and this is true for both sides. I'd have a beer with Joe. We'd disagree on lots, but probably agree on lots also. After a few beers, the differences wouldn't matter.

making out would be hot

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 28 2009,00:36   

Gil lives:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-315472

(hypocrisy note - I also left but didn't)

--------------

14997 replies since July 17 2008,19:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (500) < ... 309 310 311 312 313 [314] 315 316 317 318 319 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]