RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (500) < ... 296 297 298 299 300 [301] 302 303 304 305 306 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 2, general discussion of Dembski's site< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Hermagoras

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2009,23:48   

Quote (dvunkannon @ April 16 2009,23:22)
Even Louis will be nice, once you say the dress doesn't make him look fat.

Well. . . what if he can't say that?

--------------
"I am not currently proving that objective morality is true. I did that a long time ago and you missed it." -- StephenB

http://paralepsis.blogspot.com/....pot.com

bfish

(Permalink) Posted: April 16 2009,23:50   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ April 16 2009,20:58)

Methinks it looks.......

a little too much like KF's conception of hellfire for him to acknowledge what the data indicates.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,00:26   

Quote (dvunkannon @ April 17 2009,07:22)
Clive,

From reading the Shermer thread, it's obvious your reading along here in close to real time.

First, congrats on how you are handling that thread. Tempers have flared on both sides, but you've let participants iron out their differences.

Second, congrats on continuing to read here, even though a lot of crap has been flung your way for places where you haven't been as successful.

Given the above, why not cobble up a user name and join the conversation here as well? I think it would raise a lot of people's respect for you, and for UD. There are lots of people here that would prefer talking with you to ranting/teasing a lurker. Even Louis will be nice, once you say the dress doesn't make him look fat.

I think Clive has finally worked out that the dolts from UD who surround him with their puddle horizon are dead boring and he is letting nature take it's course for a change. That is to say the weak and sick of mind, if not body, fail.

Just one thing Clive, it's piqued not peaked.

......“pique” is a French word meaning “prick”

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"Abbie Smith (ERV) who's got to be the most obnoxious arrogant snot I've ever seen except for when I look in a mirror" DAVE TARD
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,00:35   

Methinks it looks.......

a little too much like KF's conception of hellfire for him to acknowledge what the data indicates.

...semi-latched or pseudo-latched hellfire?

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"Abbie Smith (ERV) who's got to be the most obnoxious arrogant snot I've ever seen except for when I look in a mirror" DAVE TARD

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,00:41   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,April 16 2009,12:50)

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ April 16 2009,12:29)
Contour plot of the 5 runs per data point dataset for proportion of losses visible in summary output.

ETA: Gnuplot surface projection.

gordon needs to see that one.

probly drive his spam filter up the wall, eh

He would point at the colored part and shout, "See?  See?  Those are the flames of hell, waiting for you and every other evilutionist if you don't all repent right now!!"

Well, he'd take 35,000 words to say it, but that's the gist anyway.

edited to add: Oh bother, just saw bfish's post.

--------------
Like every other academic field, philosophy of religion has its share of hacks and mediocrities.  Edward Feser

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,00:42   

Quote (Hermagoras @ April 17 2009,07:48)

Don't worry about that Clive.

Louis is pretty sensitive about what he does when he fondles ladies shoes or undergarments, so break a leg.

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,04:24   

Quote (k.e.. @ April 17 2009,06:42)

Louis is pretty sensitive about what he does when he fondles ladies shoes or undergarments, so break a leg.

At least give him the FCD credit he deserves. Lou's the one in the dress, I'm not the one in the dress. Lou FCD/Louis different, see?

You'd think this this would not be troublesome. Perhaps some kind of algorithm (non-latching of course) could be made to evolve "Methinks the geezer in the dress is Lou FCD" in order to make it clearer!

;-)

Louis

--------------
Bye.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,04:31   

Quote (Louis @ April 17 2009,12:24)
Quote (k.e.. @ April 17 2009,06:42)

At least give him the FCD credit he deserves. Lou's the one in the dress, I'm not the one in the dress. Lou FCD/Louis different, see?

You'd think this this would not be troublesome. Perhaps some kind of algorithm (non-latching of course) could be made to evolve "Methinks the geezer in the dress is Lou FCD" in order to make it clearer!

;-)

Louis

<whispers> see what I mean

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,07:28   

Revisiting William Dembski:

Gentlemen: If Dawkins is tuning the parameters differently for the program as described in the book and for it as exhibited in the BBC documentary, isn't he in effect using a different program?

The dataset I've generated can address this, too.

"weasel" average candidate performance (100 runs per data point):

What about using the clues about distribution of generations to plot out just those parts of the data set that share at least a plausible overlap with the report of [41, 43, 64] generations in 1986?

Code Sample

if ((40 >= $fields[2]) &&
       (43 <= $fields[4]) &&
       (64 >= $fields[4]) &&
       (70 <= $fields[3])) {

That pulls out just those points whose minimum generations include 40, whose maximum generations include 70, and where the average generations lie in [43..64]. This does not include a cutoff based on mutation rate given Dawkins' comments in the discussion of the "biomorph" program. Plotting those gives:

Now, going over the dataset with this:

Code Sample

if ((2485 >= ($fields[2] * $fields[0]))) {

yields those points whose total candidates given the minimum generations is less than or equal to the "tries" value from the 1987 video. Here is that plotted:

I think it is fair to say that different parameters were used for "weasel" in the 1987 video than in the 1986 book. Looking closely at the video where the program is shown starting up where one can see both the "Darwin" output and the number of "tries" reported at the bottom, it looks like there are shifts at intervals of about 40 tries, with one of the most obvious happening at about 160 tries, as would be expected with the selection of a new "parent" string. That would seem to indicate a population size choice around 40 for the 1987 video. That fits well with the region pulled from the dataset given the minimum total candidates criterion.

But it is also obvious that there is no sort of dividing line in performance that separates the behavior of the "weasel" program between those two regions. For all we know, Dawkins may have been asked if he could speed things up a bit; taking an average of the average candidates in the two regions, I get about 12,452 for the region likely to include the 1986 output and about 7,344 for the region that likely includes the 1987 output. There's certainly no difference in kind concerning the fact that no "latching" was ever needed to explain the summary outputs of 1986. Here's the 1986 region plotted with proportion of losses visible in the summary output:

While Dawkins (1986) did not directly address mutation rate in his discussion of "weasel", he did so in relation to his biomorph program, noting that a mutation rate that produces one altered gene per offspring is "very high" and "unbiological". If we take Dawkins' 1986 discussion of mutation rate into account, the largest proportion in the range covering up to 1/28 ~= 0.036 mutation rate is 0.21, or just slightly more than a 1 in 5 chance of seeing a visible loss of a correct base in the summary output from a run, making it just about a 1 in 2 chance that three summary outputs would not show a visible loss there at the very most pessimistic point in the range. The average proportion in the region bounded at the top by a mutation rate <= 0.036 is about 0.028. At that proportion, over 9 out of 10 sets of three summary outputs would show no visible loss of a correct base. So, no, there is no mystery about why the 1986 summary output doesn't show a visible loss of a correct base, nor does the different parameter set used in 1987 put that into doubt.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,07:52   

Am I reading things right? Over at UD, it looks like they've closed comments on the "Simulation Wars" thread. And so far they haven't deleted away the critical comments.

Edited by Wesley R. Elsberry on April 17 2009,07:52

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,08:06   

In progress: Done:

Just in case Gordon gets huffy about a population size of 500 being the upper end of the previous dataset, I have a run going that is collecting data with N up to 100,000. This goes very slowly, so I'll update the graphic as data accumulates. It sure is not looking good for the assertion that more losses of a correct base would be seen in summary output with higher N.

Seeing the surface projection should make things extra-clear:

Remember Mullings' maunderings?

In short, implicit latching. AND in your case, with tearaway run to the target through multiple beneficial mutations on a probabilistically and empirically implausible model. [Think about the skirts of the mutations distribution and what happens with 500 iterations per generation of 5% per letter odds of mutation.]

[...]

Then, as the conditions are further relaxed, triple etc mutation cases become more common. In some of these cases, even more substitutions will happen, and as well, novel multiply correct letters begin to emerge. Implicit latching vanishes, and we see much more of flicking back, no strong preservation of current letters, and occasional leaps of multiple letter advance.

Gordon thought that his scenario of increased likelihood of visible loss of correct bases would be happening at N=500 and u=0.05. It is clear that that isn't the case. Nor does Gordon's scenario play out anywhere else in this dataset. (We'd expect to see the proportion value go up to something well over 0.5 for some large N value, and that just isn't happening.)

Pick a mutation rate. Notice the trend as one varies population size. Larger N leads to a lower proportion of loss of correct base visible in summary output.

"Onlookers", do you suppose Gordon will manage to get it this time?

Edited by Wesley R. Elsberry on April 18 2009,10:45

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,09:37   

The Tardfight continues:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-313341

JohnADavison

04/17/2009

4:39 am
Get this folks. By scrambling my messages, Scordova claims he is protecting me from myself. Why then are Dembski and Dodgen not doing the same thing? I will tell you why. They are not pandering to Darwinians, that’s why.

It is hard to believe isn’t it?

JohnADavison

04/17/2009

8:28 am
Sal

I think you should abandon this attempt to be a “big influence” until you have completed your graduate studies. However, I don’t see how you possibly can have the time for it.

LOVE IT SO, FOR REALZ.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,09:44   

Woo - on Pharyngula:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/04/a_better_timeline.php

I probably didn't get a PZ 'Gold Star', cause I already have one..

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,09:58   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ April 17 2009,08:06)
In progress:

Just in case Gordon gets huffy about a population size of 500 being the upper end of the previous dataset, I have a run going that is collecting data with N up to 100,000. This goes very slowly, so I'll update the graphic as data accumulates. It sure is not looking good for the assertion that more losses of a correct base would be seen in summary output with higher N.

By Jove, we are working on similar calculations using VBA. Our results are expected by the next transit of the Earth-Moon System across the Sun (as seen from Jupiter)—in 2014. We'll keep you posted.

--------------
Tard Acquisition and Repository Department

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,10:04   

Quote (Zachriel @ April 17 2009,09:58)
*snip*

By Jove...

I see what you did there. Well played, sir, well payed!

--------------

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,10:15   

Ohh com3 on guzyz fairx palyz.
UDZZ just gone od dedz on diz.

Wee needs sum bluz

Meet me in the bottom bring me my running shoes

--------------

Hermagoras

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,10:22   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ April 17 2009,07:52)
Am I reading things right? Over at UD, it looks like they've closed comments on the "Simulation Wars" thread. And so far they haven't deleted away the critical comments.

Yes, they have.  I am logged in there and I cannot add a comment on that thread (I thought I'd point them to your pretty graphics).

--------------
"I am not currently proving that objective morality is true. I did that a long time ago and you missed it." -- StephenB

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,10:28   

Quote (Hermagoras @ April 17 2009,18:22)

Yes, they have.  I am logged in there and I cannot add a comment on that thread (I thought I'd point them to your pretty graphics).

grafix obelix?

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,10:32   

Quote (Hermagoras @ April 17 2009,10:22)

Somebody's sure to mention "weasel" eventually. We'll be set.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,10:39   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ April 17 2009,10:32)

Erm, what happened to 'teach the controversy'? Let the ONLOOKERS! decide for themselves.

--------------

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,10:55   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 17 2009,18:39)
Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ April 17 2009,10:32)

Erm, what happened to 'teach the controversy'? Let the ONLOOKERS! decide for themselves.

Line up whilz dare az iz in ze air

--------------

bfish

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,11:17   

[quote=CeilingCat,April 16 2009,22:41]
Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ April 16 2009,12:29)

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ April 16 2009,20:58)

Methinks it looks.......

Ceiling cat:
edited to add: Oh bother, just saw bfish's post.

But really, isn't that graphic the perfect metaphor for the IDC movement? The data is clear, but the data reminds them that Hell awaits for non-believers, and so the data must be disputed or ignored.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,11:24   

Then I’m a skeptic.
I threaten America.
I crumble the culture.
I don’t mind the mindless
tyranny of moral relativism.
I vulgarize all
that was once beautiful.
See that beautiful thing over there?
I make it vulgar
just like that
by thought alone.
I have gained control
of almost every major
institution in the country.
In those institutions,
I create new skeptics.
I propagate skeptical children.
These my skeptical
children and I,
we make up morality.
as we go along.
We threaten America.
We crumble the culture.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-313309

--------------
”let’s not make a joke of ourselves.”

Pat Robertson

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,11:34   

Quote (Zachriel @ April 17 2009,09:58)
Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ April 17 2009,08:06)
In progress:

By Jove, we are working on similar calculations using VBA. Our results are expected by the next transit of the Earth-Moon System across the Sun (as seen from Jupiter)—in 2014. We'll keep you posted.

In the previous dataset,  there were 4,745 data points, each with 100 runs contributing to it, for a total of 474,500 "weasel" runs. Back in 1986, Dawkins' Pascal program polished off a run in (IIRC) 11 seconds. So if Dawkins had decided in 1986 that he wanted a dataset like the one I put together yesterday, it would have only taken him

474,500 * 11 s = 5,219,500 s

~= 1,450 hours

~= 60.4 days

optimistically, since the fringe cases take a lot more CPU cycles.

I hadn't thought much about it, but I think all my implementation is of O(n) complexity. I could check that empirically by adding a bit of code to clock the runs and correlate that by N.

--------------

Hermagoras

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,11:35   

Quote (midwifetoad @ April 17 2009,11:24)
Then I’m a skeptic.
I threaten America.
I crumble the culture.
I don’t mind the mindless
tyranny of moral relativism.
I vulgarize all
that was once beautiful.
See that beautiful thing over there?
I make it vulgar
just like that
by thought alone.
I have gained control
of almost every major
institution in the country.
In those institutions,
I create new skeptics.
I propagate skeptical children.
These my skeptical
children and I,
we make up morality.
as we go along.
We threaten America.
We crumble the culture.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-313309

That's more or less a "cento" (a poem made up of quotations), from Stephen's earlier festival of cliches.  I'm glad somebody noticed it.

--------------

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,12:21   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 17 2009,09:44)
Woo - on Pharyngula:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/04/a_better_timeline.php

I probably didn't get a PZ 'Gold Star', cause I already have one..

Congratualtions to you..

BUT ...

If you are interested in "updating" your creation design, instead of having the DI cure cancer, I think in teh interests of accuracy, that they should only do a Press Release saying that they have cured cancer.  No actual cacncer cells will be harmed - as the DI Lab will be "temporarily" closed down for "remodeling"...

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,12:26   

That's more or less a "cento" (a poem made up of quotations)

I learned something new this morning. Now I can dig back into the mud and hibernate.

--------------

Pat Robertson

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,12:31   

Chardin's timeline:

--------------

Pat Robertson

khan

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,12:37   

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2009,13:36   

I did a little something in plotting from my dataset...

Anybody care to take a guess at how I got that plot?

No fair peeking at the image name.

--------------

14997 replies since July 17 2008,19:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (500) < ... 296 297 298 299 300 [301] 302 303 304 305 306 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]