RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (500) < ... 335 336 337 338 339 [340] 341 342 343 344 345 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 2, general discussion of Dembski's site< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,09:26   

Quote (KCdgw @ May 18 2009,09:05)
Joe G is brave:

tsmith,
Balad, Iraq March 2004.
I think I was trying to prove one can outrun an RPG

Adel DiBagno is impressed (or sarcastic):

Joseph,
We are all in your debt for your service to our country.
A debt we can never repay.

KC

Joe Gallien (Joe G) is a bullshit artist who has floating this "I was wounded fighting in Iraq" lie for years.

When pressed on the details, turns out he was never in the military.  He spent a month or so there as a contractor, and somehow hurt his back in a totally benign manner, lifting something the wrong way.

It steams me no end to see this chickenshit dishonor the real men and women who fought for our country and who were wounded or killed there.  :angry:

--------------
"Science is what got us to the humble place we’re at, and what hard-won progress we might realize comes from science, with ID completely flaccid, religious apologetics bitching from the sidelines." - Eigenstate at UD

KCdgw

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,09:28   

Quote (Occam's Aftershave @ May 18 2009,09:26)
Joe G is brave:

tsmith,
Balad, Iraq March 2004.

Joseph,

KC

Joe Gallien (Joe G) is a bullshit artist who has floating this "I was wounded fighting in Iraq" lie for years.

When pressed on the details, turns out he was never in the military.  He spent a month or so there as a contractor, and somehow hurt his back in a totally benign manner, lifting something the wrong way.

It steams me no end to see this chickenshit dishonor the real men and women who fought for our country and who were wounded or killed there.  :angry:

Hmmm...he claims it's his knee in the exchange I was quoting from. LOL.

PS...got a link to him admitting that?

KC

Edited by KCdgw on May 18 2009,09:30

--------------
Those who know the truth are not equal to those who love it-- Confucius

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,11:14   

The body part changes depending on what day he is telling the story.  :p

The details were drug out of him a little bit at a time, across several boards (IIDB, CARM), several years ago  I'd have to see what I can locate.

Just for grins, why don't you just ask him to provide a detailed account of his service and his injury.  Then ask him if he has any verification.  See what he comes up with.

--------------
"Science is what got us to the humble place we’re at, and what hard-won progress we might realize comes from science, with ID completely flaccid, religious apologetics bitching from the sidelines." - Eigenstate at UD

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,11:43   

On the Sternberg Not A Baptist thread

Nakashima

05/18/2009

11:30 am
I don’t understand why Dr Sternberg bothers having this conversation in the first place, unless his correspondent is extremely good looking. He could have simply stated that from an ID perspective, no one doubts the common descent of humans and simians, and the details are being worked out. Is he actually trying to argue that the ITSs observed in different species are designed artifacts? That would seem to be a testable prediction.

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

slpage

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,12:21   

Quote (Occam's Aftershave @ May 18 2009,09:26)
Joe G is brave:

tsmith,
Balad, Iraq March 2004.

Joseph,

KC

Funny - he was mentioning his hurt back well before he supposeldy went to Iraq.  He mentioned it wayyyyy back on the old OCW forum probably 7 or 8 years ago - claimed that his prayers helped it heal.

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,13:08   

hey you guys that's the sort of thing that makes Joe wanna meeat you!

i heard it was a glory hole barrel in Tijuana and something to do with friction burn but then again he also said he was muslim so who  knows.

poor sap probably has never been out of omaha

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,14:17   

derwood asks Joe:
Joseph - As an aside, what unit were you with in Iraq? What was your MOS?

Will Joe respond or go AWOL?

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number.  -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,14:33   

Clive goes obtuse:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-318055

Home About Resources Search
Uncommon Descent presents...

beelzebub

05/18/2009

12:29 pm
Clive,

It seems that you’ve been infected by the “mockery constitutes refutation” meme, judging by your opening post here and by your comments on determinism (link, link) in the “Belief in God” thread.

Do you have any actual criticisms of the concepts of determinism and memes?

Clive Hayden

05/18/2009

12:41 pm
beelzebub,

—-”Do you have any actual criticisms of the concepts of determinism and memes?”

Yes.

beelzebub

05/18/2009

1:55 pm
Clive,

Any that you’re willing to state publicly on this thread, in the presence of folks who understand both memes and determinism?

Clive Hayden

05/18/2009

2:13 pm
beelzebub,

Sure.

ID: not big on details.

Edited.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,14:42   

wow that memes post is really one of the dumbest unclever things i have ever seen on UD.  congrats, Clive, you are somewhat less than I had estimated you.

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

Maya

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,14:42   

Quote (Richardthughes @ May 18 2009,14:33)
Clive goes obtuse:

Home About Resources Search
Uncommon Descent presents...

beelzebub

05/18/2009

Clive,

It seems that you’ve been infected by the “mockery constitutes refutation” meme, judging by your opening post here and by your comments on determinism (link, link) in the “Belief in God” thread.

Clive Hayden

05/18/2009

beelzebub,

Yes.

beelzebub

05/18/2009

Clive,

Any that you’re willing to state publicly on this thread, in the presence of folks who understand both memes and determinism?

Clive Hayden

05/18/2009

beelzebub,

Sure.

Edited.

I bet Clive got beat up a lot as a child.  And the girls beating him weren't doing it to hide the fact that they liked him.

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,14:47   

Quote (hazel @ gauntlet thread)
   Atheists have all sorts of beliefs about these things, with the only common feature being that there is no God involved.

Quote (PaulN @ same joint)
Could you not say the same thing about religious people from all different faiths, with the exception of the belief that there is a god involved?

next move lack of belief in gods = faith.

these fuckers can get the whole scale out of that single string.

PaulN is a tard.  that isn't Paul Nelson, though, right?  I lost my roster

--------------

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,15:23   

Quote (Maya @ May 18 2009,12:42)

Quote (Richardthughes @ May 18 2009,14:33)
Clive goes obtuse:

beelzebub

05/18/2009

Clive,

Clive Hayden

05/18/2009

beelzebub,

Yes.

beelzebub

05/18/2009

Clive,

Clive Hayden

05/18/2009

beelzebub,

Sure.

Edited.

I bet Clive got beat up a lot as a child.  And the girls beating him weren't doing it to hide the fact that they liked him.

Clive is about as brave as Joe Gallien and DaveTard.

ETA: In fairness, Scooter didn't cling to Mama Lewis and Papa Chesterton's legs the way Clive does, though he sure sucked up to Dembski.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number.  -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

dmso74

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,16:39   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,May 18 2009,14:42)
wow that memes post is really one of the dumbest unclever things i have ever seen on UD.  congrats, Clive, you are somewhat less than I had estimated you.

It seems that a common quality of ID people is to think they're clever when they're really stupid. think of Denyse, WAD's fart jokes, Clive's memes and now that Sternberg piece whose very title made my ears bleed. what, did he think that one stupid unfunny title wasn't enough, or that he didn't want to see one of them go to waste, so he put both of them in with a colon between them? also, the text itself is terrible.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,22:02   

PWNAGE:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-318078

Clive Hayden

05/18/2009

3:42 pm
beelzebub,

Were you asking me to list them here? Me memes and your memes weren’t apparently understanding each other. I have this replicating unit of cultural information stuck in my head, otherwise known as a “song”, and it distracts my other memes, who are otherwise engaged in replicating themselves. These memes really want to stay alive, which is why they wrote Stayin’ Alive within the mind of the Bee Gees. That’s their Theme song.

They’re otherwise known as Thetons among the Scientologists, and as Macrobes in C. S. Lewis’s science fiction book “That Hideous Strength”. They run the show beelzebub, not me—-you’ll have to put your question in terms of cultural replicating units in order for it to make any difference to these memes, they’re not interested in anything other than that—-maybe put it in a poem or rhyme scheme, and it will become meaningful to them, and they’ll use it to mate with and replicate themselves. My memes and your memes will mate, and we’ll see what comes of the progeny.

beelzebub

05/18/2009

5:42 pm
Clive,

Your response reveals how badly you misunderstand the concept of the meme.

Memes are not conscious agents, like Hubbard’s Thetans and Lewis’s Macrobes. They aren’t interested in things, they don’t understand anything, they’re not distractible, and they don’t “want” anything, except in the same purely metaphorical sense in which genes “want” to be replicated.

I recommend Susan Blackmore’s The Meme Machine to help clear up your confusion.

Now can I help you with the concept of determinism?

*edited*

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,22:35   

bwaaaaaaaaaa

now, the unfunny dumb uncleverness CAN be co-opted for funny clever laughing at dumbness.  although it might in this instance have required a few intelligent designers.

clive has a meme stuck sideways square in the nasty part of his pooper thinker.

--------------

ERV

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,22:53   

Quote (dmso74 @ May 18 2009,16:39)
Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,May 18 2009,14:42)

It seems that a common quality of ID people is to think they're clever when they're really stupid. think of Denyse, WAD's fart jokes, Clive's memes and now that Sternberg piece whose very title made my ears bleed. what, did he think that one stupid unfunny title wasn't enough, or that he didn't want to see one of them go to waste, so he put both of them in with a colon between them? also, the text itself is terrible.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,22:57   

Clives Dembski meme should get him to change hands before his God meme wakes up and sez

...WTF ARE YOU DOING CLIVE? CLIVE? GOOD LORD I LEAVE TO CHECK WHATS IN THE FRIDGE AND I COME BACK AND WHAT DO I FIND? ....YOU DISGUSTING LITTLE MAN. clives god meme©

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,23:40   

rich i find that substantially less funny without all the buy my book memeage and buzzword memery adorning it like tassels on a fancy banana hammock (meme)  in my humble ignorance i mistook the wrapping for the present.  

i mean now it's like "Oh, look, a UD moderator/socktard/regular/owner has done something stupid and been corrected in more or less polite informative fashion".  and that happens every damn day

It was all like "specks and motes in a frenzy of beams sticking out every which way".  and "wow those people are dumber than we even CAN imagine"  

those paradigm shifts in our study of the TARD are not so common.  at least not daily events.  for me anyway

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 18 2009,23:52   

It's telling that we have memes, and they don't (the sound of XXXX assploading is now extinct).

We have lolcats
HHTIY
FT4U
HOMO
TARDOLOGUES
ETC, ETC.

--------------

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2009,02:26   

Quote (dmso74 @ May 19 2009,09:39)
It seems that a common quality of ID people is to think they're clever when they're really stupid.

This brings back memories of a comment (off site) of UD (now ir)regular Lee Bowman. Lee had learned that a podcast re-enactment of the Dover trial was in the offing. Lee reported on it, getting facts badly wrong, but the real gem was in this comment in the follow on:

Don’t believe everything you read Andy, but thanx anyway for taking me literally! And good luck with you podcast. I really think a four act play would be better, tho. Here’s a scenario.

Act (1), Gathering facts, and maybe letting everyone take a taste of primordial soup to really help set the mood. Act (2), Watching the facts evolve, for the amusement of the audience, and of course the genetic mutant on the bench. And don’t forget the stack of peer review books and papers, since watching the witness have to peek around it will always get a laugh. Act (3) For the finale, have the Marine Band waiting in the wings to play patriotic music as Eric Rothschild tells his epic saga of the plight for deliverance from theocratic oppression (but for g** sake, don’t have them play ‘Battle Hymn of the Republic!) Stay silent for the defense, however. Then have the audience stand up and salute as the band plays Stars and Stripes Forever as Judge gives the final accolades, and exits the room.

After a brief intermission for refreshments and to stretch a bit, Act (4) could start off with a narrative read by an announcer offstage, while gradualistic phyletic images are projected onto the curtain. Some sound effects would be cool! When the hominid lineage arrives, have the curtain open half way, and as a spotlight falls on the judge, have him read his ’scathing decision’, and have him do it with passion, but with pauses to half smile and make audience eye contact (ala GW style). After the show, sign autographs in the lobby, while serving little Trilobite cookies and little demitasse cups of primordial soup.

Just kidding. The Podcast will be fine.
Lee is so pleased with this bit of wit he ends with a flourish:    
Also, you can file this under touché.

In the words of PZ Myers:    
Those people are so stupid it hurts.

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2009,02:45   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-318116

Clive Hayden

05/19/2009

12:01 am
beelzebub,

That’s just the thing, there is no consensus on what these memes are, it depends on who you ask, because it is science fiction.

beelzebub

05/19/2009

1:28 am
Clive,

Nobody who understands memes thinks they are conscious entities. Dawkins didn’t think so when he invented the term, and he doesn’t now. Blackmore doesn’t. Dennett doesn’t. The authors of the Wikipedia article on memes don’t.

Until today, in fact, I hadn’t heard of anyone who thought that memes were conscious.

The problem is not a lack of consensus, Clive; it’s the tendency of certain people to mock things they don’t even comprehend.

As you can see, this sometimes backfires.

Sweet.

--------------

GCUGreyArea

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2009,03:47   

Uptight Biped sez:
This may come as a shock to you, but the convention by which information is passed from nucleotide to effect is not contingent upon physical law.

This fact is supported by direct experimentation.

Physical law has nothing to do with the existence of the code, nor the information transferred from it.

All magic science so far...
I would love to know what experiments it is referring to...

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2009,05:15   

thought experiments, i am sure.  like, he thought there were some experiments that say what he wishes he had said

--------------

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2009,06:57   

There was a discussion here a while back about dinosaurian soft tissues. Schweitzer et al. have published supporting evidence.

Biomolecular Characterization and Protein Sequences of the Campanian Hadrosaur B. canadensis: Molecular preservation in non-avian dinosaurs is controversial. We present multiple lines of evidence that endogenous proteinaceous material is preserved in bone fragments and soft tissues from an 80-million-year-old Campanian hadrosaur, Brachylophosaurus canadensis [Museum of the Rockies (MOR) 2598].

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/324/5927/626

--------------
Proudly banned three four five times by Uncommon Descent.
There is only one Tard. The Tard is One.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2009,07:05   

UD finally found a perfect sponsor!  Just peeked at it and it was showing an ad for DIANETICS.ORG, complete with animated volcano.  Refreshed three times and it was still there.

This is perfect!  I'm certain that L. Ron Hubbard would have been an IDist.

--------------
...after reviewing the arguments, I’m inclined to believe that the critics of ENCODE’s bold claim were mostly right, and that the proportion of our genome which is functional is probably between 10 and 20%.  --Vincent Torley, uncommondescent.com 1/1/2016

AmandaHuginKiss

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2009,08:04   

Quote (Richardthughes @ May 19 2009,16:52)
It's telling that we have memes, and they don't (the sound of XXXX assploading is now extinct).

We have lolcats
HHTIY
FT4U
HOMO
TARDOLOGUES
ETC, ETC.

The have memes
Darwin=Hitler
I don't understand, therefore god
Why research when we can make it up

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2009,08:11   

Quote (AmandaHuginKiss @ May 19 2009,08:04)

We have lolcats
HHTIY
FT4U
HOMO
TARDOLOGUES
ETC, ETC.

The have memes
Darwin=Hitler

And a few more

ID is not creationism
evolution=religion but ID is not religion
you don't understand ID, so go read Dembski/Behe/Wells etc.

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2009,08:42   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ May 19 2009,08:11)

We have lolcats
HHTIY
FT4U
HOMO
TARDOLOGUES
ETC, ETC.

The have memes
Darwin=Hitler

And a few more

ID is not creationism

Buy my Book!
The Spatula Brain

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2009,09:25   

Quote (Tracy P. Hamilton @ May 19 2009,08:42)
Quote (Albatrossity2 @ May 19 2009,08:11)

We have lolcats
HHTIY
FT4U
HOMO
TARDOLOGUES
ETC, ETC.

The have memes
Darwin=Hitler

And a few more

ID is not creationism

Buy my Book!
The Spatula Brain

BUT WAIT - THERE'S MORE!

ACT NOW, AND WE'LL SEND YOU - ABSOLUTLEY FREE - YES, YOU HEARD RIGHT !- ABSOLUTELY FREE !-
THE "ID IS PERSECUTED" MEME!  

that's right - Use it on its own - use it with "Expelled" but act now and YOU CAN USE THE ID IS PERSECUTED LINE TILL THE COWS COME HOME - OR THE DI GOES BANKRUPT!

ACT NOW!

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: May 19 2009,11:16   

Jerry reveals why he believes that every gene is designed:
I base nearly all my conclusions on Behe’s Edge of Evolution. To me that is the definitive work so far. I also base a lot of my conclusions on Sherlock Holmes and the story of Silver Blaze and one of the most famous insights in history. Namely, of the dog barking in the night.

Both these works support/prove my conclusions about the design of genes.

Does anyone have the heart to tell Jerry that Sherlock Holmes isn't a historical figure?  Or that Behe doesn't think that every gene is designed?

Jerry, you magnificent bastard, PM Erasmus immediately.

--------------

14997 replies since July 17 2008,19:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (500) < ... 335 336 337 338 339 [340] 341 342 343 344 345 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]