RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (341) < ... 207 208 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 216 217 ... >   
  Topic: UnReasonable Kansans thread, AKA "For the kids"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,11:44   

gosh darn it FtK I need an answer.

Did he or did he not?

Surely 13 year old Jesus beat the donkey.  

Was Jesus a virgin when he crucified himself was martyred?

This is no laughing matter, the eternal salvation of billions is on the line.  

Of course it could be that he was both a virgin and not a virgin, or perhaps he did take himself in hand while at the same time never even touching it to pee.  You know what i'm talking about, while at the same time you don't know what I'm talking about ,right?

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell.†Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,14:17   

Quote (Ftk @ Feb. 02 2008,07:57)
Quote (Annyday @ Feb. 02 2008,06:09)
If current trends continue, I'd be fucked in half within fifteen pages.

ROTFLMAO....

Has he read more than you?

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,14:32   

I got about a hundred pages in, skimmed ahead, read the part about human sacrifice, and then gave up reading altogether, for the record.

It's not a complete assessment, but I think I got a fairly representative sample. I particularly enjoyed reading about how Aztec human sacrifices were not actually a religious affair. A+++ funny argument, would read again.

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,14:42   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 02 2008,14:17)

ROTFLMAO....

Hi there, Rich.

Yeah, he's ahead of me...I had to put my reading on hold today...life calls.

The big question is whether *you* are reading it.

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,14:46   

Quote (Ftk @ Feb. 02 2008,14:42)
Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 02 2008,14:17)

ROTFLMAO....

Hi there, Rich.

Yeah, he's ahead of me...I had to put my reading on hold today...life calls.

The big question is whether *you* are reading it.

Based on Tranny Gays review, no.

What about the dissapearing "Simmon debate" thread, FtK? How embarrasing is that? Is the censorship? What a bunch of shoitehawks, eh? Would Jesus delete the thread?

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,14:59   

Have you even read Dawkins, Harris, Dennet or Hitchens?

Why would you refuse to read a book merely because of a few paragraphs written by someone who read it?

What do I think about UD deleting some of the comments on the Simmons/PZ thread?  Honestly, I have no clue why in the world they would do that.  PZ out debated Simmons...so what?  IMHO, the best thing to do would simply be to address the areas of weekness in Simmons responses to PZ and leave it at that.  There was no reason whatsoever to delete the comments...not everyone is good at debate.  And, when you're debating a guy like PZ who has been twisting away in the wind for well over a decade, you better know him well enough to know what he's going to be throwing your way.

Simple as that.

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,15:03   

Quote (Ftk @ Feb. 02 2008,14:59)

Why would you refuse to read a book merely because of a few paragraphs written by someone who read it?

What do I think about UD deleting some of the comments on the Simmons/PZ thread? †Honestly, I have no clue why in the world they would do that. †PZ out debated Simmons...so what? †IMHO, the best thing to do would simply be to address the areas of weekness in Simmons responses to PZ and leave it at that. †There was no reason whatsoever to delete the comments...not everyone is good at debate. †And, when you're debating a guy like PZ who has been twisting away in the wind for well over a decade, you better know him well enough to know what he's going to be throwing your way.

Simple as that.

So what do you think of an institution that frequently practices clandestine revisionism on one hand and then makes dubious censorship claims on the other?

Are they to be trusted?

--------------

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,15:06   

You answer my questions, and then I'll answer yours.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,15:12   

No problem.

First "refuse to read" is a bit misleading. By that logic there are millions of books I "refuse to read" - Oh what an anti-intellectual. The truth is there are many other things I'd rather read, and Vox day has already displayed has tard plumage many times. He doesn't think women should vote. BAD BAD BIGOT TARD, GO TO THE BACK OF THE CLASS. You think he's an alpha male. presumably if I slapped him silly, I'd be the alpha male. You don't believe in cavemen, yet go for knuckle draggers. Oh the Irony.

--------------

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,15:16   

Quote (Ftk @ Feb. 02 2008,15:06)

You DO read JoeG!

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,15:18   

Quote (blipey @ Feb. 02 2008,15:16)

You DO read JoeG!

Joe's an Alpha Tard. *swoon*. He tries to cyber-bully people and talks about poping round with his guys.\

Fair play to you Blipster, for offering to pop 'round and see these folks face to face. And then they crap their pants...

--------------

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,15:19   

What do I think about UD deleting some of the comments on the Simmons/PZ thread?  Honestly, I have no clue why in the world they would do that.  PZ out debated Simmons...so what?  IMHO, the best thing to do would simply be to address the areas of weekness in Simmons responses to PZ and leave it at that.  There was no reason whatsoever to delete the comments...not everyone is good at debate.  And, when you're debating a guy like PZ who has been twisting away in the wind for well over a decade, you better know him well enough to know what he's going to be throwing your way.

Simple as that.

Why has your assessment of debate changed so much?  I thought it was all about evil scientists never debating anyone because they would lose because they're really stoopid and stuff.

Now that a debate has happened and the results weren't quite what you hoped, it's all about how debates aren't really all that important.  No big deal that PZ showed Simmons was a tard.

Sounds a lot like the Judge Jones is going to kill those atheists / Judge Jones is a stupid asshole days.

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,15:22   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 02 2008,15:18)
Quote (blipey @ Feb. 02 2008,15:16)

You DO read JoeG!

Joe's an Alpha Tard. *swoon*. He tries to cyber-bully people and talks about poping round with his guys.\

Fair play to you Blipster, for offering to pop 'round and see these folks face to face. And then they crap their pants...

I'm only a couple of hours away from Joe; I've offered to drop and get his list of scientists he has embarrassed in personal debate.  I expect no response.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,15:26   

DaveTard: Shoitehawk
Joe G: Shoitehawk

They're hard as nails behind a keyboard with the anonymity of the internet. FtK probably thinks they're Alpha males.

--------------

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,15:30   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 02 2008,15:26)
DaveTard: Shoitehawk
Joe G: Shoitehawk

They're hard as nails behind a keyboard with the anonymity of the internet. FtK probably thinks they're Alpha males.

Does "alpha male" mean dude with big gut?

--------------

Chayanov

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,15:40   

Vox Day's (presumably honest) admission that the only thing keeping him from stealing and killing is Jesus saying don't do it was more than enough of his writings for me. IIRC Day has also admitted the reverse -- that if Jesus said go kill babies, he would do it.

Why listen to crazy people? I don't stop and talk to the guy on the corner who yells at the traffic light, either.

--------------
Help! Marxist literary critics are following me!

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,15:42   

Quote (Chayanov @ Feb. 02 2008,15:40)
that if Jesus said go kill babies, he would do it.

It would be a test of faith.

--------------

blipey

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,15:48   

Quote (Chayanov @ Feb. 02 2008,15:40)
Vox Day's (presumably honest) admission that the only thing keeping him from stealing and killing is Jesus saying don't do it was more than enough of his writings for me. IIRC Day has also admitted the reverse -- that if Jesus said go kill babies, he would do it.

Why listen to crazy people? I don't stop and talk to the guy on the corner who yells at the traffic light, either.

That's scary insane.

ftk,

Does that sort of behavior correspond to a proper moral code, in your opinion?  If true, that does seem to be a large argument for Christians having the ultimate say-so in moral arguments....

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,15:51   

I read several initial chapters (60 pages or so). It's a strange brew. Although the writing is generally good and sometimes witty, stylistically Day can't decide if he wants to assume a scholarly or sarcastic voice, so he adopts both. This seems to reflect some indirection, in that he takes long quasi-scholarly excursions (using his scholarly voice) into history that often have almost nothing to do with his main points, then lapses into statements about Hitchens, Dennett, Dawkins, etc. that are purely declarative ad hominem attacks with no references or supportive evidence (using his cheeky sarcastic voice). One of many examples:
† † † † † † † † †
"The atheist tends to regard every statement with which he disagrees in much the same manner that a bull views a matadorís red flag, viewing even the most cherished myths held by his friends and family as little more than imperative targets of opportunity.

After discussing atheism versus agnosticism he concludes a chapter with:
† † † † † † † † †
Agnostic: I donít believe there is a God. Because I havenít seen the
evidence.

Atheist: There is no God. Because Iím an asshole. (page 17)

Also on that page:
† † † † † † † †
There is even evidence to suggest that in some cases, High Church atheism may be little more than a mental disorder taking the form of a literal autism. On one of the more popular atheist Internet sites, the average self-reported result on an Asperger Quotient test was 27.9.21 The threshold for this syndrome, described as ďautistic psychopathyĒ by its discoverer, Dr. Hans Asperger, is 32, whereas the average normal individual scores 16.5. In light of Wolfís observations, it is interesting to note that those diagnosed with Aspergerís tend to be male, intelligent, impaired in social interaction, and prone to narrow, intense interests.

I was a bit surprised and disappointed by these early sections, because there are almost no extended arguments "based upon reason" that address the general thesis of atheism. I was hoping to be challenged.

Ftk, it may surprise you to learn that I haven't read The God Delusion (although have read some of Dawkins' earlier technical papers as well as most of The Blind Watchmaker, and have The Ancestor's Tale waiting on my bed stand), any Hitchens work, nor any Sam Harris. This is because, from what I've observed from afar, their books were written in a shrill and confrontational "village atheist" style that I find obnoxious. So I've skipped the chapters that specifically address each of them and their recent books, because I can't really comment upon the fairness or accuracy of Day's analyses. †

I have read a great deal of Daniel C. Dennett, including Breaking the Spell - which I liked less than, for example, Freedom Evolves. That, in part, because I find the term "Brights" to be smug and condescending and its invention and use a woeful blunder. But because I am familiar with Dennett's work I ventured into Day's chapter on Spell. To his credit, Day recognizes the value in Dennett's arguments and acknowledges Dennett's fair and generally non-confrontational tone. He treats Dennett both critically and generally fairly. He quibbles with elements of Dennett's arguments, although my reading is that he has misunderstood Dennett in places.

At the end of the chapter, however, Day careens into very strange territory. He first lapses into suggesting that Dennett advocates not a scientific investigation of religious belief as a natural phenomenon, but rather a scientific investigation of the reality of the supernatural plane. As he does so he postulates the reality of Satan, speculates in detail on what Satan can and would do given his temporary dominion over the earth and his nefarious aims, and concludes that Satan would be most effective were he to hide his existence from human knowledge. The best way to do that is to foster disbelief in the supernatural generally. He concludes that because Satan can and does shield the existence of the supernatural from human knowledge, and because scientific investigation is the apotheosis of the acquisition of knowledge by human means, the scientific program will continue to fail to disclose the reality of the supernatural.

This is truly weird and silly stuff in the context of this book. It left me recalling why I'm an "unbeliever" in any of that ridiculous stuff, which was not, I suspect, Day's intention in producing this book. †

That's as far as I've gotten, and as far as I am likely to go.

[minor edits for clarity]

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

1of63

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,16:15   

Quote (Ftk @ Feb. 02 2008,09:55)
Honestly, when I read Harris's book, I giggled throughout. †

Sorry, dude, must have a different sense of humor. †I'm reading Harris's book right now but if he's trying to be a comedian he'd better stick with his day job.

The Bible now, that's a real hoot!

That bit about stoning rebellious children and the other one where God sends a couple of bears to kill those kids who are taking the piss out of one of the prophets? †Well, anyone who's had to put up with rowdy teenage parties is going to be punching the air and hollering "Yayy! †Way to go, God!"

I love the "Gotcha!" moment right at the beginning where God tells Adam he'll die the day he eats the fruit. Then, when He catches Adam and Eve Red Delicious-handed, He says "Just kidding!" and kicks them out of Eden on their asses to live another 900 years or so. †That God, what a guy! †You just never know when he's joshuaing around.

What really creased me, though, was when He arranged that boat trip for Noah, his family and other animals. †Takes the other few billion men, women and children on Earth at the time and drowns 'em right out to make way for the world's first ocean cruise line. Now that's what I call taking care of your own - and having †a laugh while doing it!

--------------
I set expectations at zero, and FL limbos right under them. - Tracy P. Hamilton

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,16:37   

Quote (Ftk @ Feb. 02 2008,15:59)
And, when you're debating a guy like PZ who has been twisting away in the wind for well over a decade, you better know him well enough to know what he's going to be throwing your way.

Simple as that.

One element of their debate I don't think anyone has commented upon was the scrupulously fair and non-intrusive moderation. That was quite impressive.

Simmons made a fool of himself. This occurred not because of what PZ "threw at him" (which was nothing more or less than the outlines of the empirical and conceptual basis of contemporary evolutionary science), but because 1) Simmons has written a book about a scientific domain the main facts of which he is apparently entirely ignorant, and 2) because his position ("there are no transitionals") is flat-ass wrong. His position can only be maintained either ignorantly or dishonestly - and is therefore indefensible regardless of preparation. †

PZ made both of these facts plain. Simple as that.

The UD discussion and the subsequent obliviation of same is, well, UD being UD. For that we should all be thankful.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,18:30   

and then, like the wind...she was gone.

--------------

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,18:50   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 02 2008,18:30)

No, I'm not gone.  I had a little chat with Vox Day, and after reading his blog for a while, checking out some of his homies and considering the conversations of the "Ilk" (their name for the regulars at VD), I've come to a preliminary assessment of them.

Care to hear it??

--------------

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,19:25   

Quote (Ftk @ Feb. 02 2008,18:50)
Care to hear it??

Yes.

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

rhmc

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,19:25   

go for it.

Chayanov

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,19:41   

Nobody's stopping you. This isn't Uncommon Descent.

--------------

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,19:49   

Quote (Ftk @ Feb. 02 2008,17:50)
† † †  
Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 02 2008,18:30)

No, I'm not gone. †I had a little chat with Vox Day, and after reading his blog for a while, checking out some of his homies and considering the conversations of the "Ilk" (their name for the regulars at VD), I've come to a preliminary assessment of them.

Care to hear it??

*shrug* Another creo-blogger with a relative in prison and a mother desperately auctioning what's left (a friend of ours went and bought something, and gave me a description this morning of how ugly and tasteless that "Dynasty" house was) who lectures the atheists on why their good grades, good (in general) behavior, good citizenship, whatever, isn't going to save us from the fires of hell. HO-HUM.  
What do I think about UD deleting some of the comments on the Simmons/PZ thread? †Honestly, I have no clue why in the world they would do that. †

Gee I can't imagine.
Wells' process is unethical. Dembski, O'Leary, all the rest of them are engaging in unethical behavior, do you get it?

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,20:02   

So what do you think of an institution that frequently practices clandestine revisionism on one hand and then makes dubious censorship claims on the other?

Are they to be trusted?

Hereís my take on this...the post is still up, so everyone who visits UD is still privy to the PZ/Simmons debate.  Nothing was censored except for the comments that were negative toward Simmons along with some information that Simmons could have used in the debate.  

Like I said, I see no reason why they felt the need to take down the comments...no need.  You win some, you lose some.  Neither evolution nor ID are ever going to negate the other...itís simply not going to happen.  Iíve never had any intention of trying to get evolution taken out of science curriculum, but I believe that ID should be discussed as well.  The inference of ID is certainly more scientific than Seti or primordial slime.  I simply donít agree that many aspects of the ToE are ďfactĒ, and I think itís harmful to science to commit to a overlying  paradigm in which everything has to be squashed into.

Are the UD crew to be trusted?  Sure, as much as anyone else in this debate.  Iíve seen evolutionists claim many things that are simply not accurate, whether knowingly or not.   I canít imagine that you believe all those scientists who support your overall views are right about every single thing they do or say, yet you still support them.

First "refuse to read" is a bit misleading. By that logic there are millions of books I "refuse to read" - Oh what an anti-intellectual. The truth is there are many other things I'd rather read, and Vox day has already displayed has tard plumage many times. He doesn't think women should vote. BAD BAD BIGOT TARD, GO TO THE BACK OF THE CLASS. You think he's an alpha male. presumably if I slapped him silly, I'd be the alpha male. You don't believe in cavemen, yet go for knuckle draggers. Oh the Irony.

Same as above, I donít have to agree with everything that Vox stands for to consider his arguments against what the New Atheists (their own descriptive word) have put forth in their recent books.  Iíve not read the whole book yet, and Iím sure there will be things I donít agree with...Iíve been warned up front about that from people other than yourselves.  But, just as you believe Vox to be a bigot in regard to womenís suffrage, the Dawkins/Harris/Hitchens trio are horrendous bigots, and their goal is one of complete intolerance of anything that looks to them to be religious...they want religion eradicated.  

Thatís the reason why Vox wrote the book.

If I understand Bill correctly, he believes Vox wrote the book to change the minds of atheists in regard to their beliefs.  His preface of the book and the first chapter donít follow that logic.  Heís pointing out the intolerance and inaccuracy of the arguments put forth against religion by D/H&H.  

And, donít worry Rich, I prefer you over Vox, so you donít have to slap him silly to prove your masculinity.

[I apologize for any typos up front, because as proven time and time again, I simply can't put forth one single post without a typo...and, alas...no edit button.]

--------------

Chayanov

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,20:14   

First you say:

Iíve seen evolutionists claim many things that are simply not accurate, whether knowingly or not.

Without a shred of evidence. Then you follow that up with:

...the Dawkins/Harris/Hitchens trio are horrendous bigots, and their goal is one of complete intolerance of anything that looks to them to be religious...they want religion eradicated.

Again with no evidence. And most people here are far more familiar with what Dawkins et al. have to say about religion than you apparently are. But please, continue on with your unsupported opinions, just like Simmons did.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 02 2008,20:15   

Quote (Ftk @ Feb. 02 2008,20:02)
Hereís my take on this...the post is still up, so everyone who visits UD is still privy to the PZ/Simmons debate. †

No, that's not true. It's a new post a new author, with completely new comments.

We'd never delete a thread here. That's the difference. You're on the side of censorship.

--------------

10200 replies since Mar. 17 2007,23:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (341) < ... 207 208 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 216 217 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]