RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 961 962 963 964 965 [966] 967 968 969 970 971 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
dnmlthr

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2008,18:45   

UD vs gravity, in a nutshell

Rarely has a youtube clip felt so appropriate.

--------------
Guess what? I don't give a flying f*ck how "science works" - Ftk

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2008,19:12   

Quote (Richardthughes @ June 12 2008,18:33)

Rich, I'd never noticed it before, but you might want to look at Tom Aquinas' date - it reads "1225 BC".

--------------
Lou FCD is still in school, so we should only count him as a baby biologist. -carlsonjok -deprecated
I think I might love you. Don't tell Deadman -Wolfhound

Work-friendly photography
NSFW photography

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2008,19:30   

Quote (keiths @ June 12 2008,16:02)

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ June 12 2008,12:51)

Quote (Lou FCD @ June 12 2008,04:53)
You've won it before, you just need to pay better attention.

...or write better stuff.

:p

Do you want a hug?

U R STEELING RITCHARD'S LINES. :angry:

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2008,22:18   

Quote (Advocatus Diaboli @ June 12 2008,14:52)
Can you smell the science coming from allanius?

Actually, that was me.  I had burritos for lunch.  Sorry.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number.  -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,00:40   

Quote (Bob O'H @ June 12 2008,14:10)
What, carlsonjok, you mean here?  There's good tard for you TardMiners.  Jerry is standing up for micro-evolution, against the intellectual mass that is BA77.

Me?  I'm in a different time zone, so I'm off to bed...

I'll say!  Young Cordova:
I personally have been curious if human beings had infra-red vision once upon a time, and then slowly lost it. There is a growing spread of myopia (possibly genetic, not just environmental), so it stands to reason other functions have died including infra-red vision.
 Infra red vision/near sightedness.  What's the difference, from God's point of view?

--------------
Like every other academic field, philosophy of religion has its share of hacks and mediocrities.  Edward Feser

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,01:27   

It must be Friday already

Ken Miller has a new book out, Dr. Dr. D. isn't impressed (well, he wouldn't be, would he?). Some choice quotemines:
Miller has called himself an Orthodox Christian and an Orthodox Darwinian (cf. the 2001 PBS Evolution Series). But one has to wonder which of these masters he serves more faithfully.

They [TE's] are happy to jump in bed with Richard Dawkins if it means defeating ID. They are on the wrong side of the culture war (note that Miller himself uses the warfare metaphor in the subtitle of his most recent book — Evolution and the Battle for America’s Soul). And they need to be defeated.

What’s our strategy. The strategy is multipronged. Let me just give you one prong: WIN THE YOUTH. The release date for Miller’s book is June 12th. I’ve got a book titled Understanding Intelligent Design: Everything You Need to Know (co-authored with youth speaker and high-school teacher Sean McDowell) whose release date is July 1st. It is geared specifically at mobilizing Christian young people, homeschoolers, and church youth groups with the ID alternative to Darwinian evolution.

All science so far!

(now, if only I had a spangly little graphic to illustrate this)

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

dnmlthr

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,01:48   

Quote (Bob O'H @ June 13 2008,07:27)

--------------
Guess what? I don't give a flying f*ck how "science works" - Ftk

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,03:05   

Ah, thank you dnmlthr.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,04:17   

Quote (Richardthughes @ June 12 2008,17:50)
Woah. Batshit77s nanny filter:

mo^del

Because "model" could be utter, utter filth.

Not to mention de^ad.  Getting a bit sicko there!  Uncommonly de^ad.

--------------
Like every other academic field, philosophy of religion has its share of hacks and mediocrities.  Edward Feser

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,04:25   

Quote (dnmlthr @ June 13 2008,01:48)

Quote (Bob O'H @ June 13 2008,07:27)

Theistic evolutionists are implacably opposed to ID (Denis Alexander, head of a Templeton funded science-religion center in Oxford recently admitted, in these very terms, that this was his view toward ID when he asked for my consent to use and edit a video of me — and you wonder why I didn’t give my permission).

Then Alexander should take a page out of the Expelled manual and claim fair use.

--------------

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,06:13   

Dr. Dr. quotes an endorsement from Ann Coulter mentioning that "Bill Dembski [is] often called the Isaac Newton of intelligent design."  U r doing it wrong, Ann: he is the Isaac Newton of information theory.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,06:36   

WAD quotes Ann Coulter on WAD:
...and Bill Dembski, often called the Isaac Newton of intelligent design. I think Dembski is more like the Dick Butkus of Intelligent Design.

Quote (olegt @ June 13 2008,07:13)
Dr. Dr. quotes an endorsement from Ann Coulter mentioning that "Bill Dembski [is] often called the Isaac Newton of intelligent design." U r doing it wrong, Ann: he is the Isaac Newton of information theory.

What she's reaching for is "Bill Dembski is the Dick Butkus of information theory."

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,06:38   

Quote (Bob O'H @ June 13 2008,01:27)

What’s our strategy. The strategy is multipronged. Let me just give you one prong: WIN THE YOUTH. The release date for Miller’s book is June 12th. I’ve got a book titled Understanding Intelligent Design: Everything You Need to Know (co-authored with youth speaker and high-school teacher Sean McDowell) whose release date is July 1st. It is geared specifically at mobilizing Christian young people, homeschoolers, and church youth groups with the ID alternative to Darwinian evolution.

So, basically he is admitting that their approach to reforming science isn't to, you know, do actual science, but to recruit the young uns.  Let's see how they are doing, shall we?  

Stats for Overwhelming Evidence

Yup, thought so.  This effort seems to have the Dembski touch.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Gunthernacus

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,07:32   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ June 13 2008,07:36)

What she's reaching for is "Bill Dembski is the Dick Butkus ButtKiss of information theory."

Fixed that for you.

What?  Too easy?  Hey, us unfunny pricks can't all be IDists.

--------------
Given that we are all descended from Adam and Eve...genetic defects as a result of intra-family marriage would not begin to crop up until after the first few dozen generations. - Dr. Hugh Ross

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,07:47   

Dembski really is a piece of work.  From his latest petulant rant:

You know, I would be happy to sit down with theistic evolutionists and discuss our differences. I think they are wrong to baptize Darwin’s theory as God’s mode of creation. But I don’t think they are immoral or un-Christian for holding their views.

Yes, WmAD, and his merry band of cohorts, have been models of decorum. Observe:

Ken Miller Up To His Old Tricks
The Collapse of Ken Miller
Ken Miller Caught Making Factually Incorrect Statements Under Oath
Ken Miller - A Wasted Life
IDEA Cofounder  Disembowels Ken Miller's Strawman
Ken Miller May Face More Embarassing Facts
Ken Miller - The Closet ID Supporter Backpedals and Dissembles
Ken Miller - Always The Valiant Defender of Science
Miller The Malignant
Hey Ken Lighten Up and Chill Out

Yup, their Christian charity shines through, doesn't it? Further Dembski:

But ID proponents, for wanting ID to have a place at the table as a scientific alternative to Darwinism, are, according to Miller, Collins, Alexander, etc., immoral, undermining Western civilization, and destroying America’s soul. Well, you want this fight, you’ve got it.

HA HA THIS IS DEMBSKI

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,08:16   

Dr. Dr. sez:
Granville: Miller claims to say the Nicene Creed every Sunday and mean it. I’m sure Francis Collins means it as well. But it doesn’t stop them from being ID’s most implacable opponents.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,09:14   

Dembski exercises his God-given right to ban.

William Dembski: Duncan: Maybe this blog’s not for you. The Internet is a big world.

Or is that the Divine Power to ban?

--------------
Not joey

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,09:31   

Quote (CeilingCat @ June 13 2008,00:40)
Quote (Bob O'H @ June 12 2008,14:10)
What, carlsonjok, you mean here?  There's good tard for you TardMiners.  Jerry is standing up for micro-evolution, against the intellectual mass that is BA77.

Me?  I'm in a different time zone, so I'm off to bed...

I'll say!  Young Cordova:  
I personally have been curious if human beings had infra-red vision once upon a time, and then slowly lost it. There is a growing spread of myopia (possibly genetic, not just environmental), so it stands to reason other functions have died including infra-red vision.
 Infra red vision/near sightedness.  What's the difference, from God's point of view?

That's up there with "why haven't we evolved laser deathray eyes?"

Blah blah Stanford blah blah genetic entropy. That's right kids, because early life (as evidenced through fossils) was so sophisticated and its been getting simpler since then. We're just degraded cavemen.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,09:41   

Quote (Richardthughes @ June 13 2008,09:31)
We're just degraded cavemen.

That's right, and don't forget it!  

"So easy even a sapiens could do it!"

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

dogdidit

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,10:13   

Quote (Zachriel @ June 13 2008,09:14)
Dembski exercises his God-given right to ban.
William Dembski: Duncan: Maybe this blog’s not for you. The Internet is a big world.

Or is that the Divine Power to ban?

Well he does have a Master's of Divinity. The "Divine Dr Dr"?

(Apologoes to Bette...assuming she'd give a rat's ass...)

--------------
"Humans carry plants and animals all over the globe, thus introducing them to places they could never have reached on their own. That certainly increases biodiversity." - D'OL

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,10:37   

First time posting here, please be gentle...

I love reading DrDr on UD. This is one of his great "we are now advancing to the rear" messages. Having lost in actual science, in the courtrooms and in the legislatures, the Kulturkampf will be taken to the most important battleground, Vacation Bible School.

Bill's intellectual efforts have been narrowing down and ageing down for a while. So one prong of a uni-pronged approach is avoiding all possible interactions with scientifically trained/unsaved adults, and shore up the funding base.

The next stop is Bill teaming up with Jack Chick. I really can't wait.

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,10:38   

Quote (Bob O'H @ June 13 2008,00:27)

Ken Miller has a new book out, Dr. Dr. D. isn't impressed (well, he wouldn't be, would he?). Some choice quotemines:

Miller has called himself an Orthodox Christian and an Orthodox Darwinian (cf. the 2001 PBS Evolution Series). But one has to wonder which of these masters he serves more faithfully.

They [TE's] are happy to jump in bed with Richard Dawkins if it means defeating ID. They are on the wrong side of the culture war (note that Miller himself uses the warfare metaphor in the subtitle of his most recent book — Evolution and the Battle for America’s Soul). And they need to be defeated.

All science so far!

Yes, and get a load of this from Dr. Dr. BD:
With devout believers like this, give me a good infidel any time.

Oh, sure. When has he ever recognized the existence of a "good" infidel? (This after saying that theistic evolutionists are on the "wrong side of the culture war." And what side would any "good infidel" be on?)

Hasn't he made it clear that he respects only those who pass muster with his narrow, and increasingly parsimonious, standards?

Wrong side of the culture war? I'd rather be "wrong," than lonely. But quite frankly, the infidels and the TE's will have the last laugh. And they won't be the ones apologizing (or rationalizing) to the next generation for global warming denial.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,11:27   

Quote (dvunkannon @ June 13 2008,16:37)
First time posting here, please be gentle...

I love reading DrDr on UD. This is one of his great "we are now advancing to the rear" messages. Having lost in actual science, in the courtrooms and in the legislatures, the Kulturkampf will be taken to the most important battleground, Vacation Bible School.

Bill's intellectual efforts have been narrowing down and ageing down for a while. So one prong of a uni-pronged approach is avoiding all possible interactions with scientifically trained/unsaved adults, and shore up the funding base.

The next stop is Bill teaming up with Jack Chick. I really can't wait.

Gentle? GENTLE!!!!!! Why youuuuuu......

.......are most welcome, good to have you on board. Hope you enjoy your stay!

;-)

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,11:33   

Quote (dvunkannon @ June 13 2008,08:37)

Good point. Bill seems to be telling us that his Great Master Plan now is to take kids who would otherwise be Creationists and to indoctrinate them in Intelligent Design.

Put that way, it's remarkably uninteresting.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Marion Delgado

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,11:58   

I think you all have it wrong. I have Dr. Dembski's book Intelligent Design and it's clear that theistic evolutionists being on the wrong side of the culture war springs directly from information theory, genetics, and microbiology. Don't believe Drs. Dembski and Behe, look at the evidence.

Dr. Dembski had no choice but to conclude that theistic evolutionists were worse than infidels; it falls right out of the math.

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,12:19   

WAD:

Theistic Evolutionists Close Ranks — Let the Bloodletting Begin!
William Dembski

WIKI:

Bloodletting was a tremendously popular medical practice from antiquity up to the late 19th century, a time span of almost 2,000 years. Bloodletting involves the withdrawal of often considerable quantities of blood from a patient in the hopeful belief that this would cure or prevent a great many illnesses and diseases. The practice, of unproven efficacy, has been abandoned for all except a few very specific conditions

Weird. Ok. "Let the bloodletting begin." Whatever you say, Bill.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,12:28   

Quote (Marion Delgado @ June 13 2008,09:58)
I think you all have it wrong. I have Dr. Dembski's book Intelligent Design and it's clear that theistic evolutionists being on the wrong side of the culture war springs directly from information theory, genetics, and microbiology. Don't believe Drs. Dembski and Behe, look at the evidence.

Dr. Dembski had no choice but to conclude that theistic evolutionists were worse than infidels; it falls right out of the math.

The 'math' being his own book sales.

--------------

Marion Delgado

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,13:12   

I forgot to add, there is indeed a good infidel. His name is Steve Fuller, he lives in Warwick, England. He's fully vetted and up to speed with the latest and most exciting conclusions from irreducible complexity to the explanatory filter to the endless wonders of the bacterial flagellum. And he understands the philosophical underpinnings of Design and the nihilistic alternative.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,13:23   

Weird. Ok. "Let the bloodletting begin." Whatever you say, Bill.

I thought it was bloodclotting that was ID, but what do I know? Is this Friday, and if so have we always been at war with Eastasia?

--------------
”let’s not make a joke of ourselves.”

Pat Robertson

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2008,13:28   

Quote (dnmlthr @ June 12 2008,16:45)
UD vs gravity, in a nutshell

Rarely has a youtube clip felt so appropriate.

The guy is lucky he wasn't using his head. His foot was gone

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 961 962 963 964 965 [966] 967 968 969 970 971 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]