RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >   
  Topic: Large Hadron Collider online, Wow.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 10 2008,17:03   

Link to up to the hour updates: here.

Then there's this one: here. Read the last few lines of the source code.

And an insiders view:here. Very cool info.

Media hype:
here.
ETA this quote:
Also our old friend Nostradamus’ words ring from the grave with this grim prediction:

Nostradamus quatrain 9 44:

Leave, leave Geneva every last one of you,
Saturn will be converted from gold to iron,
"Raypoz" will exterminate all who oppose him,
Before the coming the sky will show signs.

Did Nostradamus predict the Large Hadron Collider? Will the Earth disappear into a black hole of its own making?

Which lead to this apparently:
here.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 10 2008,17:20   

Leading scientists and researchers at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, said the experiment was safe. They dismissed as "pure fiction" doomsday predictions that the experiment could create anti-matter, or black holes.

But in deeply religious and superstitious India, fears about the experiment and the minor risks associated with it spread rapidly through the media.

In east India, thousands of people rushed to temples to pray and fast while others savored their favorite foods in anticipation of the world's end.

Linky

bystander

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 10 2008,17:27   

I think that all this end of the world stuff is good for science, it gets the collider on the front page and people may actually get interested in the facts.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 10 2008,17:52   

Quote (bystander @ Sep. 10 2008,23:27)
I think that all this end of the world stuff is good for science, it gets the collider on the front page and people may actually get interested in the facts.

Sadly the majority of comments I've read/heard from the general public have bemoaned the cost and "uselessness" of the LHC.

That's right, when faced with the most awesome collaborative effort our species has ever made, our fellows whine about it in a petulant and ignorant manner. It's enough to make one spew blood.

Needless to say the LHC is so cool that I am sat here listening to today's dedicated programmes from BBC Radio 4 that I recorded. I'm sporting a throbbing science (metaphorical) boner too.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

C.J.O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 10 2008,17:54   

people may actually get interested in the facts.

Doubt it. Six months from now, it'll be like "remember when those scientists tried to blow up the world and it totally didn't work?"

But we can hope, I suppose.

Anyway, very cool info. Thanks BWE.

--------------
The is the beauty of being me- anything that any man does I can understand.
--Joe G

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 10 2008,18:00   

Quote (C.J.O'Brien @ Sep. 10 2008,17:54)
people may actually get interested in the facts.

Doubt it. Six months from now, it'll be like "remember when those scientists tried to blow up the world and it totally didn't work?"

But we can hope, I suppose.

Anyway, very cool info. Thanks BWE.

I've googled it maybe 50 times today to see if there might be more info.

I remember Lee Smolin or maybe Carlo Rovelli saying it might be sensitive enough to detect gravity waves or their corresponding particle but some physicists have told me today that that is a range of sensitivity far outside our capability in terms of resources.

Also, you're welcome. :)

I've got the science wood too.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

rhmc

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 10 2008,19:08   

if memory serves me correctly, there were scientists involved in the manhatten project that were of the opinion that the first nuclear weapon would set the atmosphere on fire.

that's why we're all dead now and don't have to worry about the LHC.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 10 2008,21:40   

if memory serves me correctly, there were scientists involved in the manhatten project that were of the opinion that the first nuclear weapon would set the atmosphere on fire.

They thought there was a risk that N2 + O2 would produce enough heat to form a self sustaining reaction? Or something else?

Henry

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 10 2008,22:06   

Quote (rhmc @ Sep. 10 2008,19:08)

I seem to recall a version where it was Fermi who was using these sort of predictions to torment everyone else.

Of course, this is the same guy who, when asked to rate his intellect from 1-100, said "Einstein is 100, but I am 99."

edited because the m and the comma are annoyingly close together

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 10 2008,22:20   

I hope they find just exactly where Mr. Higgs Boson is hiding, too.  And then throw his ass in jail, where he belongs.

:O

angst

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 11 2008,01:09   

I have the great displeasure of working with a YECist. When the local news aired a story about the LHC and mentioned how it would simulate conditions a billionth of a second after the big bang my YECist actually sneared in derision.

He's as misinformed about big bang theory (something from nothing) as he is about evolution (why are there still apes?) and has no interest in learning. 'God did it' is so much easier.

Sometime I really want to slap the sh*t out of him.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 11 2008,03:55   

Quote (rhmc @ Sep. 11 2008,01:08)

Memory does serve you correctly. Every major advance/project is hampered by doomsayers. (Meaningful health and safety concerns are a different bag, baby)

I have it on good authority that at the invention of the wheel there was a large protest about the fact that the spokes would cause friction sufficient to start forest fires.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 11 2008,07:07   

Quote (Louis @ Sep. 11 2008,03:55)

Memory does serve you correctly. Every major advance/project is hampered by doomsayers. (Meaningful health and safety concerns are a different bag, baby)

I have it on good authority that at the invention of the wheel there was a large protest about the fact that the spokes would cause friction sufficient to start forest fires.

Louis

So, I was wrong.

So far...

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 11 2008,07:52   

I'm kind of disappointed that the world didn't end. Apocalypse by Black Hole had nice Calvinistic overtones.

We still have hope. The cross section for pp-->Rapture is small. Wait to the LHC is running at full luminosity.

EDIT: because a special character (a right arrow) that worked in the preview didn't show up in the post. I guess the AtBC powers-that-be consider some special characters (especially right arrows) dangerous.

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 11 2008,08:06   

Quote (J-Dog @ Sep. 11 2008,13:07)
Quote (Louis @ Sep. 11 2008,03:55)

Louis

So, I was wrong.

So far...

Well there are more wheels around now and we do get forest fires.....

IT'S A CONSPIRACY I TELLS YA! TEECH TEH CONTRUVERSE!

Louis

--------------
Bye.

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 11 2008,10:05   

Check out the last ten seconds of LHC webcams.

This is rarely a good sign.

Louis, are you still there?

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 11 2008,10:47   

Biologists can haz big sciens too.
Dallas, TX – Scientists from the Evolutionary Acceleration Research Institute (EARI) announced that the first test of the Giant Animal Smasher (GAS) will begin on December 19, 2008, the 41st anniversary of the premiere of Dr. Dolittle.

Dr. Thomas Malwin, head of the research project, said, "The first test runs will only accelerate microscopic life-forms like bacteria and viruses to high speeds, but theoretically the GAS can handle animals as large as squirrels, hence the squirrel smasher moniker."

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 11 2008,10:50   

Quote (JohnW @ Sep. 11 2008,10:47)

Dallas, TX – Scientists from the Evolutionary Acceleration Research Institute (EARI) announced that the first test of the Giant Animal Smasher (GAS) will begin on December 19, 2008, the 41st anniversary of the premiere of Dr. Dolittle.

Dr. Thomas Malwin, head of the research project, said, "The first test runs will only accelerate microscopic life-forms like bacteria and viruses to high speeds, but theoretically the GAS can handle animals as large as squirrels, hence the squirrel smasher moniker."

Crazy scientists in there ivory towers.  Us folks out in reality-land have been experimenting with smashing together large, dumb animals for years. Ain't that right, Heddle? Observe.

EDIT: To make it a little more....personal.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

jeffox

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 11 2008,10:59   

Well, ya know, the first Adam smasher was made from apple wine.  :p

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 11 2008,11:20   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Sep. 11 2008,10:50)

Quote (JohnW @ Sep. 11 2008,10:47)

Crazy scientists in there ivory towers.  Us folks out in reality-land have been experimenting with smashing together large, dumb animals for years. Ain't that right, Heddle? Observe.

EDIT: To make it a little more....personal.

So true... NASCAR collisions produce oodles more center of mass energy than the LHC. All gasoline powered. We don't need no stinkin' superconducting magnets and RF cavities. And by the size of some of the beer bellies--well the Higgs field is sure in evidence.

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 11 2008,11:59   

Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 11 2008,16:05)

Why is the horizon getting redder?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 11 2008,15:56   

Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 11 2008,10:05)

That will damned near certainly scare someone. Funny though. How would I know if it had all gone tits up BTW? Time stopping would be a pest.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 11 2008,17:24   

Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 11 2008,08:52)
I'm kind of disappointed that the world didn't end. Apocalypse by Black Hole had nice Calvinistic overtones.

We still have hope. The cross section for pp-->Rapture is small. Wait to the LHC is running at full luminosity.

It is kind of amusing to think that those huge gamma ray bursts are civilizations turning on their own LHCs. That would constitute a solution to Fermi's Paradox.

bystander

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 12 2008,06:00   

Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 12 2008,05:24)
Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 11 2008,08:52)

It is kind of amusing to think that those huge gamma ray bursts are civilizations turning on their own LHCs. That would constitute a solution to Fermi's Paradox.

I could see a sciencefiction story in that -- Somebody (A brave Calvinist Science Student) decoding a message prior to a gamma ray burst realises what  will happen and the only people he can convince is a washed out DrDr Mathematician and an ex Dell engineer.
They travel to europe to try and stop the test but are continually EXPELLED

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 12 2008,06:13   

The webcam animations... one wouldn't actually see any blackness in the vicinity of a black hole, I wouldn't think. Perhaps the physics folks can correct me, but my understanding was that collisions of matter beyond the event horizon would give off copious amounts of EM radiation, including light. Am I wrong on that?

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 12 2008,06:40   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Sep. 12 2008,06:13)
The webcam animations... one wouldn't actually see any blackness in the vicinity of a black hole, I wouldn't think. Perhaps the physics folks can correct me, but my understanding was that collisions of matter beyond the event horizon would give off copious amounts of EM radiation, including light. Am I wrong on that?

Spoilsport!

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 12 2008,12:04   

Collisions of matter beyond the event horizon? Or on its way down to the event horizon?

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 12 2008,13:24   

Quote (Henry J @ Sep. 12 2008,18:04)
Collisions of matter beyond the event horizon? Or on its way down to the event horizon?

That was my question.

Before matter gets to the event horizon (or even zero point fluctuations where one partner is on one side of the event horizon and the other isn't) = radiation central.

Beyond the event horizon = dunno!

Isn't everything that goes on inside a black hole highly speculative for the same reasons that the events prior to/during the exact moment of the big bang impenetrable (singularities, no good theory of quantum gravity etc). IANAP. I need a physicist (or a better memory).

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 12 2008,14:16   

On its way to, not on the other side of.

Otherwise, we wouldn't see it.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 12 2008,14:18   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Sep. 12 2008,20:16)
On its way to, not on the other side of.

Otherwise, we wouldn't see it.

Phew, I was getting worried about you.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

60 replies since Sep. 10 2008,17:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]