RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (500) < ... 235 236 237 238 239 [240] 241 242 243 244 245 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 2, general discussion of Dembski's site< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,12:49   

Kristine, we all know you have that special relationship with Richard Dawkins. I am sure if you asked him, he might even respond directly to Double Dr Demsbki. Though I guess that would inflate Bill's ego to beyond insufferable.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,12:53   

Kristine, I think his objection is no observed instance of a 'negative mutation' which implies 'latching' but may just be a statistical artifact of the fitness function.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,12:58   

Kristine - I think it is just another opportunity for Dr. Dr. Dembski and his pals to fixate on teh trees, not the forrest.  He will get all hung up in the minutia and call that a victory. (Hey it "worked"* ala bacterial flagella for Behe in the Black Box, right?)

* And by worked I mean it sold books and made money and a name for Behe - which I think is what the Dr. Dr. is shooting for too.

ps:  I do not think you WANT to understand Dembski on his level - it is clearly dangerous to your mental health to think that way. :)

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Spottedwind

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,13:02   

I don't know what has been better lately...the near-meltdown, the TARD that has been presented, or the poems.

I love this place   :D

And CeilingCat - Ray Comfort + UD?...the TARD there would be toxic even to our most experienced and shielded miners.  I shudder to imagine what their combined efforts would bring...

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,13:07   

I already corresponded with Dawkins back in 2000. There was no locking of characters in any implementation he did, nor was there any description of locking in anything he said.

Dembski is supposed to be a whiz at probability, but he is missing really basic stuff when it comes to "weasel".

The lines in "The Blind Watchmaker" represent widely-scattered best candidates given a reasonable population size and a reasonable mutation rate. It does not show worst candidates at any point, and those are the candidates that one would expect to have a formerly correct letter replaced with another letter. To have the best candidate from a generation show a change of letter requires at least one of three conditions: [1] none of the new generation is as good as the last best candidate, [2] a new candidate that happens to change a currently correct letter out for an incorrect one while simultaneously changing an incorrect letter for a correct one, or [3] a new candidate changes out one or more correct letters for incorrect ones while changing multiple incorrect letters for correct ones. None of these conditions are probable when the population of candidates is 100 or more and the mutation rate is in the range where one expects less than two letters to change at a time in producing a new candidate.

The most parsimonious explanation is that the 1987 video is capturing "weasel" displaying all the candidate strings in every generation, those exposing the worst candidates as well as the best, and showing that there never was any latching going on. The only latching evident is the sort of perseveration in error among religious antievolutionists that one otherwise finds is typical in certain patients with frontal lobe damage.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,13:20   

HOW TO SPOT A HIDDEN RELIGIOUS AGENDA

I just found this article on New Scientist - and read it because it has been pulled from the online edition due to "legal complaints" - suspected to be a Densee O'Leary minion or lacky.

How To Spot A Hidden Religious Agenda

I think the author does a nice job - and BOO! to pulling the article!

edited for spelling

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,13:31   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Mar. 16 2009,13:07)
The lines in "The Blind Watchmaker" represent widely-scattered best candidates given a reasonable population size and a reasonable mutation rate. It does not show worst candidates at any point, and those are the candidates that one would expect to have a formerly correct letter replaced with another letter.

I'd *completely* missed this. The odds of having a 'negative mutation' / backwards step in the best fit from a population must be minuscule.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,13:46   

I'm sure Richard has responded to the weasel objection before. (For one thing, McGrath apparently raised similar objections.) But they wouldn't know that, because...

Creationism is apparently not a weasel or Blind Watchmaker program, but a random generator. Creationists rarely cite any noncontemporary creationist other than Paley (that became obvious with the "racism of Darwin" thread), or build upon a past creationist's work. Creationism is not cumulative - they just reinvent perpetual motion and trash Darwin plus whoever is in their sites at the moment (previously, Sagan, Gould - now Dawkins).

Maybe someone else has already said this, but creationism/ID is nothing more than the intermittent reward effect.

What I'd now like to know is, what implications does Dembski's "gotcha" have for Behe's suggestion that scientists "prove" evolution of the flagellum by taking bacteria without it and subjecting them to "selective pressure"? That would just "prove design" in their minds all over again, would it not?

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,13:53   

Geez.

Gentlemen: If Dawkins is tuning the parameters differently for the program as described in the book and for it as exhibited in the BBC documentary, isn’t he in effect using a different program?

Man, that's brilliant. I am so impressed.

I guess that makes me a hacker of the Windows OS every time I reset the parameters for a query in SQL.

Gentlemen! Go play with dolls, Dr. Dr.

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,13:58   

Quote (J-Dog @ Mar. 16 2009,13:20)
HOW TO SPOT A HIDDEN RELIGIOUS AGENDA

I just found this article on New Scientist - and read it becaUSE it has been pulled from the online edition due to "legal complaints" - suspected to be a Densee O'Leary minion of lacky.

How To Spot A Hidden Religious Agenda

I think the author does a nice job - and BOO! to pulling the article!

They're big on teaching the controversy. Except when they're not.

--------------

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,14:03   

What exactly is Dembski's objection here? That Dawkins "programmed the computer, thus design," or something else?

?

The FONT ffs!!

KF has called down the prison barge UD's secret speaking tube  to the chapel cum infirmary summoning the Rev. Doc 'Barnicle' Bill topsides to deal with the circling sharks with frikken laser beams.

Barnicle B: Action at last Second Mate, where's the Captain.

K.F: Which one? Most of them seem to be on leave Sir.
Barnicle B: Never mind, what is it?

K.F: Sir we fired all our straw men, even the oil soaked ones and all we have is a lot of wet hay and an oil slick.

Barnicle B: Yes, yes, at what though?
K.F: <squints sideways> The sharks Sir.

Barnicle B: Don't be stupid, there's no such thing.
K.F: Sir I'm telling you they're out there.

Barnicle B: Calm down Second Mate or I'll have you sorting out my fan mail down in the infirmary.
K.F: Sorry Sir. What shall we do Sir.

Barnicle B: I'll have to deal with this myself. Who let the sharks in anyway?

K.F: Errrrrrmmm ....Dave Tard Sir.
Barnicle B: Bullshit K.F.

K.F: It was Clive Sir.
Barnicle B: THAT PISSANT?

Barnicle B: OK here's what we are going to do. Simple, change the word 'targeted search' to 'proximity search'. That should fool them. As long as no one points out the end result is only half the story.

K.F: OOOOOh very clever Sir. ......Sir, is there a difference?
Barnicle B: You bet sailor.

K.F:'k

Barnicle B:Hand me my megaphone.
K.F:SIR! YES SIR!

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,14:18   

William Dembski:

Gentlemen: If Dawkins is tuning the parameters differently for the program as described in the book and for it as exhibited in the BBC documentary, isn’t he in effect using a different program?

Brilliant. So every time a population changes size, or the mutation rates varies for that population, they are in a different reality?

Or every time I put different data in an Excel* spreadsheet, I'm using something other than Excel*?

(* Substitute Gnumeric for the M$-phobic.)

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,14:27   

Someone is hitting Dr.Dr. Bill with the Wes stick:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/evoluti....-308223

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,14:31   

It would take a hundreds million dollars or more to build, outfit and staff an ongoing biological science lab.

I = 1 to TARD
HEAD > DESK
next I.

--------------

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,14:32   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Mar. 16 2009,13:07)
The only latching evident is the sort of perseveration in error among religious antievolutionists that one otherwise finds is typical in certain patients with frontal lobe damage.

You know what?  It sounds a lot more sciencey when you say it.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,14:42   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Mar. 16 2009,14:27)
Someone is hitting Dr.Dr. Bill with the Wes stick:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/evoluti....-308223

Well, would someone who's never posted at UD go over there and hit him with my schtick?
Dembski:        

Moi:        
What is it about the word algorithm that you don't understand that you just said?

How does changing the parameters (oh, say genetic mutation rate, or population size, or maximum number of generations, etc.) change the algorithm, cute-stuff?

And if you do it, make sure you include the "cute-stuff." :p Thanks... you're a dahhhrling. :D

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,14:47   

About perserveration, see the Wisconsin card sort. What's interesting is that patients with frontal lobe damage are perfectly capable of understanding the WCS conceptually, including the necessity to shift strategies during a run. They just aren't capable of actually shifting strategies during the run.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,14:57   

uh-oh, page roll-over broken?

ETA - dvunkannon had a post which was not showing up for me.

--------------

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,15:00   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Mar. 16 2009,22:57)

nor me

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,15:11   

Quote (k.e.. @ Mar. 16 2009,16:00)

nor me

nor I. That teaches me to disagree with mods.

combined with being in moderation limbo at UD, i'm starting to wonder if I still exist...

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,15:14   

ok, having broken out of the Phantom Zone, here's what that post tried to say:

Wes, you're wrong. THe gens on the Weasel video go up to 2485, proof the params are different. Probably a smaller pop size, perhaps a higher mutation rate. It's a better visual image, that's all.

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,15:18   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Mar. 16 2009,21:11)

nor me

combined with being in moderation limbo at UD, i'm starting to wonder if I still exist...

It's okay, you don't. I can tell this is the case because I'm not currently addressing you with this post. This is all a figment of someone's imagination.

Have you ever looked at your hand? I mean really looked at?

Man this is some good weed. It must be, I hallucinated that DaveScot was banninated from UD. This cannot be real ergo I must be high and reality must be an illusion.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,15:24   

David,

I don't think I asserted that the parameters were exactly the same between the TBW runs and the Horizon video runs, but I do disagree with the canard that using different parameters is the same thing as having a different program. Letter-level latching is the thing asserted by Dembski and others on no evidence whatsoever. Saying that the parameters might be different doesn't even bear on that issue.

--------------

AmandaHuginKiss

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,15:28   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Mar. 17 2009,08:11)

nor me

Did anybody hear something?

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,15:31   

I'm clueless, therefore design.          
I also find it interesting that he admits in the video to aiming for a specified target but that evolution doesn’t do this,but then just glosses over this distinction as if it isn’t all that important. I’ve never understood why this ‘weasel’ program tells us anything about how evolution is supposed to work.

DonaldM, you can’t understand why layering sand in a bottle would simulate the structure of geological strata as opposed to just playing in a sandbox, even though geological are not really laid down by hand-dropping?

You can’t understand why creating a vortex in a wind tunnel would simulate the behavior of a hurricane even though hurricanes are not really formed in a wind tunnel?

You can’t understand why creating wave interference patterns in a water tank would simulate the behavior of waves in the ocean, even though waves in the ocean are not really formed in a water tank? (I guess no more experiments about how the Titanic sunk, then.)

You can’t understand why actors on a stage can simulate the behavior of real people even though you were not delivered a script—oops, it seems that some poor players who strut and fret their hour think they do have a script.

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,15:36   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Mar. 16 2009,16:24)
David,

I don't think I asserted that the parameters were exactly the same between the TBW runs and the Horizon video runs, but I do disagree with the canard that using different parameters is the same thing as having a different program. Letter-level latching is the thing asserted by Dembski and others on no evidence whatsoever. Saying that the parameters might be different doesn't even bear on that issue.

Saying the parameters might be different is Dembski's notpology and sidejab at KF to STFU.

One thing I've never seen done with the parameter space of a GA like weasel is to map the convergence times a la all those pretty Mandelbrot set pictures. I doubt they come out as spectularly intricate. More to the point for DDrr.. Dembski, there would be very little black where the choice of parameters never converge. The robustness of GAs is a slap in the face of ID.

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,15:48   

Even more to the point, the places where the parameters don't give convergence are exactly those that are unlike the biological situation: very low population sizes and very high mutation rates.

--------------

Jim_Wynne

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,15:50   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Mar. 16 2009,05:42)
Jeeebus!  I go home for a weekend to visit my sweet, saintly mother and I come back and the world is turned upside down, cats are living with dogs and DaveTard is no longer with UD!

Fine business!

And to make it a perfect weekend, I ran into this great Ray Comfort quote:      
Thanks to Delta airlines, you can now sit back and enjoy pedophilia while you fly in comfort across America. While there are certain passengers who may appreciate it, I don't think I am alone in my convictions when it comes to the sexual exploitation of our children. I don't like it.

I have been living in the United States for over 18 years. I became a citizen ten years ago and I'm extremely proud to be an American. I am proud because Americans are a compassionate people. They love and care for their children, and this is never more evident as when they see them harmed by some sexually twisted pervert.

Recently Kirk Cameron, I, and my son-in-law Emeal Zwayne, were flying from Atlanta to Los Angeles. Halfway into the flight, Kirk suddenly looked up and said, "What's going on!" We looked up at the more than twenty screens to see what looked like a nine-year-old child sexually gyrating and stripping in front of an adult audience. As we watched in horror, a few of the adults in her audience stood to their feet and began to clap to the music, obviously encouraging her to strip further, which she gladly did.

The airline kindly warned that the movie contained "adult situations, strong language and violence," and reviews said that it was "hilariously funny." No doubt the film's makers had a reason for their juvenile stripping scene, but what we were looking at wasn't a normal adult situation, nor was it funny. This was the promotion of pedophilia in the public arena.

We looked at each other and asked "How could this be happening?" This wasn't some in-house meeting of NAMBLA where perverts were getting off on seeing a young child take her clothes off in the privacy of their own clubhouse. This wasn't in some dirty little back room in Downtown Los Angeles. This was in front of mothers and fathers and their children on a domestic flight on Delta airlines.

What sort of twisted Hollywood scumbag is allowed to get this trash on a public airline?

The three of us immediately protested to a flight attendant. She smiled and gave her standard response, "You don't have to watch it. Just get on line on the Delta website and register a complaint." She was too busy caring for the needs of the passengers to see the movie.

One of the other passengers heard our protests and began to say that he actually enjoyed the film. Personally, I would like to know the names and addresses of anyone who enjoys watching little kids take their clothes off in public. I would like to warn the families in their area.

If someone is caught with this trash on his personal computer, he will find himself with a stiff prison term, but if he enjoys it on Delta, then that's his right.

I feel angry when our flag is burned, but if it's part of America's freedom, I can live with it. But if our freedom has its bounds, let it be at the harm of our children. Let's not let those who are our enemies see how we treat our children. If we can't agree on gay rights, prayer in schools, the war in Iraq, let's at least agree on this issue.

I have been on more than 1900 flights and I have looked away from adult entertainment many of times, but I will not close my eyes with this issue. I will open my mouth and do all I can to shame Delta for what they have done. What do I want from them? I want a very public apology. I want them and all the airlines to clean up their dirty little acts. The airlines outlawed smoking on their planes because enough passengers complained that they didn't want other people's poison in their faces. Liberty has its bounds. So if enough people protest about pedophilia flights maybe the airlines will ban their poison, and even create a NAMBLA room in the terminal so that they won't lose their business.

I like Delta's flight attendants. They are friendly. I like their pilots. They are good at what they do. I even like their food, and after the horror of 911, I want them to get on their feet financially, so I have a suggestion. I would like them to know that "Fly Delta, the pedophilia airline" isn't good for public relations.
If UD is looking for a worthy successor to DaveTard, they might ask Ray to put down the banana and take up the bannanation button.

Edited because I spel gud.

I wish Ray, Emeal (wtf) and Kirk had walked out on the movie.

--------------
Evolution is not about laws but about randomness on happanchance.--Robert Byers, at PT

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,16:03   

Quote (Jim_Wynne @ Mar. 16 2009,13:50)
I wish Ray, Emeal (wtf) and Kirk had walked out on the movie.

My first real LOL today

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 16 2009,17:19   

I promised Carlsonjok a pic today but couldn't have been arsed to transform Densye into WWF wrestler. It would have been an intellectual mismatch anyway.

So this is what you get instead. ¡Que aproveche!

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

14997 replies since July 17 2008,19:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (500) < ... 235 236 237 238 239 [240] 241 242 243 244 245 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]