RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (622) < ... 211 212 213 214 215 [216] 217 218 219 220 221 ... >   
  Topic: A Separate Thread for Gary Gaulin, As big as the poop that does not look< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2013,03:22   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ July 18 2013,20:36)

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 18 2013,20:21)

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ July 18 2013,20:03)
Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 18 2013,18:40)

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ July 18 2013,17:48)
Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 18 2013,17:33)

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ July 18 2013,09:07)
Gary's single ISCID post. And that one was about his membranes lab exercise. That's a special kind of welcome ISCID provided Gary.

I've got several posts that are still on ISCID.

By the time I arrived (to see whether the self-assembly demonstration would be controversial in that ID community) the ISCID forum was already on its way out.

And whether what I was working on at the time belongs there or not is easily answered by what the ISCID forum says it's for:

The ISCID Forums are aimed at generating insight into the nature of complex systems (e.g. biological complexity, organizational complexity, etc.) and the ontological status of purpose, especially from the vantage point of various information- and design-theoretic models.

With all considered: At that time the self-assembly demo was the most appropriate thing I had to contribute, and since it did not cause a fuss at ISCID things went very well there. A year later what was explained in the topic was on its way to all the science teachers in the US via National Science Teachers Association journal. So at least that IDea actually made it into the public school classrooms! And ISCID can share the pride, in that happening...

Let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly: entering a single comment on a forum that "doesn't cause a fuss" is grounds to claim success? Is that right?

Yes.

I'm used to chaos erupting from a topic like this that I post. If it turned out like this thread then I would have had to plan/prepare for a long protest. But the ID community found no need to argue against it, and as was expected there was no protest after its publishing.

I made a post that created no fuss at all at the Kurzweil AI forum. Yet Gary, in apparent hypocrisy, is on the record objecting that my participation there was a negative for me.

No fuss at the Kurzweil AI forum over your post is a plus for me. None getting upset after you told them (and later positive comment in another thread in regards to my participating instead of causing trouble there) was a bad thing for you. But I can understand how easy it is think of ways of rationalizing the situation you are now in, that at least some in your choir will actually believe.

Gary delivers more projection.

And it seems to be time for the usual footnote...

It's not a diagram, but it does seem to annoy Gary to have his reasons for approaching discussion the way he does laid out clearly and documented in his own testimony.

The question of why Gary goes for false, provocative, and malicious statements when mentioning me or replying to me does have an answer. Gary thinks that 1) I have "big-bucks" and 2) if I say something actionable, Gary could sue me and get them. We know this from Gary himself. He refers to "big-bucks" (quoted in this post). And Gary previously revealed his premeditated approach and strategy for using the legal system to enrich himself:

And before I came to this forum Casey gave me free legal advice in regard to what is legally over the line enough to easily win a case for that can come at me from places like this. Where reversed upon Wesley, it would be like someone anonymously calling campus security where they are working to report that their loss of mind is endangering the lives of all in the building they are in, when the truth that was stretched out of proportion is that they needed to use a small amount of flammable liquid to patch around the air conditioning unit that let water pour in every time it rained.

And Gary confirmed again that he was still looking for actionable statements from me here:

I was hoping Wesley would at least attempt to find something "actionable" (that is not outright criminal like chaining me inside a basement torture chamber) that was not already tried on me.

Unfortunately for Gary, he has not and will not be able to provoke me into actionable statements.

Gary's otherwise apparently bizarre behavior in his responses to me becomes explicable with the understanding that he has been angling for a lawsuit, confirmed definitively and spectacularly here.

Im weirdly fascinated by how after going over the line you get into this defensive mode and like blame me for it happening. I already explained how science is not usually very well paying. Evolutionary biology is not one of the get rich quick fields, and might be more like another fast way to become a starving scientist.

With the petition and all, theres no way to compare the legal system tactics from your anti-ID movement. My message has consistently been the opposite. What you are powerless against is the science that makes all else irrelevant.

In your case what I must most want out of you is your flagellum powered cell model circuited as per the ID theory, which will easily enough work, but I cant program everything. If it checks out by me then I could reference that in a footnote in cellular intelligence section, which already explains well enough to model that from. Adding eye and chemosensor patches are optional. Can also test to see whether real e.coli and other can be trained to either attract or repel from stimuli depending on prior experience. If cells can be trained then its not a simple feedback system or can be never changing ROM there is a RAM memory somewhere to store proper actions that the ID model also has in it, for that purpose. The exact chemistry of cellular temporal memory is not known but literature shows cells can anticipate a shock of some sort and be in defensive mode in anticipation of another, which might work where time reference since last event of that sensory type is included in addressing and can test that against experiments with slime-molds and other things.

And it just so happens that I just finished uploaded an update to the Intelligence Design Lab where the MAIN INTELLIGENCE GENERATING ALGORITHM at the end of the Intelligence.frm file now features a circuit diagram (in comments) that has a numbered step in code that propagates signals for each lobe cycle.

https://sites.google.com/site.......ab2.zip

For simplicity sake the good guess code was taken out of the circuit. Still works great without it. Likely need to remove good guess for chemotaxis anyway, now its done for you. With that out of the way, the Intelligence Design Lab should be much easier for you to code from.

The way I see it, science makes it possible for even you to (for the most part) redeem yourself. But that requires (language of your choice) programming of a novel computer model to add to an earlier paper from you that at least shows you might have the right stuff to code it. You can later wire-in other senses. First step is your Chemotaxis Intelligence Design Lab but you dont have to call it that, where you hate that name so much theres no way you ever would.

There is so much novel new science that can be programmed from this theory you are left with no good excuses at all for complaining about not finding a science worthy paper even I would have to love you for. Its easily PNAS and/or Nature material. At least I think it deserves it.

The winning strategy is to ignore all the things that are not science. What matters is theory that develops in a way to assimilate you in a way that is good or bad depending on what you choose. On my end, that takes time getting the Intelligence Design Lab just right, so that a download worth looking at is online right now to help make this an even more memorable week for us all. The Lab still does not draw the entire circuit (will next get back to that) but I was able to resist the lure of the forum trolls and instead reduced down the algorithm variables to very minimum, which in turn cleaned up a big coding mess that made it harder to figure out and work on. I did not forget what PSC and other worlds need from me the most, and Im relieved that I managed to optimize the algorithm by now. But I did not neglect your scientific needs, in this new design, and was able to have this posted for your wonderful Sunday morning enjoyment, to get to work on too!

--------------
The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

Nomad

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2013,04:05   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 21 2013,03:22)
What matters is theory that develops in a way to assimilate you in a way that is good or bad depending on what you choose.

Ummm.... yes.

Woodbine

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2013,04:19   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 21 2013,09:22)
Im weirdly fascinated by how after going over the line you get into this defensive mode and like blame me for it happening. I already explained how science is not usually very well paying. Evolutionary biology is not one of the get rich quick fields, and might be more like another fast way to become a starving scientist.

With the petition and all, theres no way to compare the legal system tactics from your anti-ID movement. My message has consistently been the opposite. What you are powerless against is the science that makes all else irrelevant.

In your case what I must most want out of you is your flagellum powered cell model circuited as per the ID theory, which will easily enough work, but I cant program everything. If it checks out by me then I could reference that in a footnote in cellular intelligence section, which already explains well enough to model that from. Adding eye and chemosensor patches are optional. Can also test to see whether real e.coli and other can be trained to either attract or repel from stimuli depending on prior experience. If cells can be trained then its not a simple feedback system or can be never changing ROM there is a RAM memory somewhere to store proper actions that the ID model also has in it, for that purpose. The exact chemistry of cellular temporal memory is not known but literature shows cells can anticipate a shock of some sort and be in defensive mode in anticipation of another, which might work where time reference since last event of that sensory type is included in addressing and can test that against experiments with slime-molds and other things.

And it just so happens that I just finished uploaded an update to the Intelligence Design Lab where the MAIN INTELLIGENCE GENERATING ALGORITHM at the end of the Intelligence.frm file now features a circuit diagram (in comments) that has a numbered step in code that propagates signals for each lobe cycle.

For simplicity sake the good guess code was taken out of the circuit. Still works great without it. Likely need to remove good guess for chemotaxis anyway, now its done for you. With that out of the way, the Intelligence Design Lab should be much easier for you to code from.

The way I see it, science makes it possible for even you to (for the most part) redeem yourself. But that requires (language of your choice) programming of a novel computer model to add to an earlier paper from you that at least shows you might have the right stuff to code it. You can later wire-in other senses. First step is your Chemotaxis Intelligence Design Lab but you dont have to call it that, where you hate that name so much theres no way you ever would.

There is so much novel new science that can be programmed from this theory you are left with no good excuses at all for complaining about not finding a science worthy paper even I would have to love you for. Its easily PNAS and/or Nature material. At least I think it deserves it.

The winning strategy is to ignore all the things that are not science. What matters is theory that develops in a way to assimilate you in a way that is good or bad depending on what you choose. On my end, that takes time getting the Intelligence Design Lab just right, so that a download worth looking at is online right now to help make this an even more memorable week for us all. The Lab still does not draw the entire circuit (will next get back to that) but I was able to resist the lure of the forum trolls and instead reduced down the algorithm variables to very minimum, which in turn cleaned up a big coding mess that made it harder to figure out and work on. I did not forget what PSC and other worlds need from me the most, and Im relieved that I managed to optimize the algorithm by now. But I did not neglect your scientific needs, in this new design, and was able to have this posted for your wonderful Sunday morning enjoyment, to get to work on too!

FTFY.

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2013,08:27   

In your case what I must most want out of you is your flagellum powered cell model circuited as per the ID theory,
You are the one proposing this nonsense and you are the only one that thinks that it has any promise whatsoever, so this is your responsibility.

Can also test to see whether real e.coli and other can be trained to either attract or repel from stimuli depending on prior experience. If cells can be trained then its not a simple feedback system
Execrable English aside, you've nearly stumbled into a test for your ideas. Many examples of chemotaxis in bacteria and protists are quite well understood ( http://jb.asm.org/content....65.full ), and they don't involve anything that requires intelligence. Their stimuli/response cycles use pathways that compare the prior condition relative to the current condition, which can loosely be talked about in terms of "memory" and "decision", but these are metaphors rather than indicators of intelligent decision-making, and they seem perfectly capable of arising by evolutionary processes. To gain any traction at all against prevailing explanations ( http://www.nature.com/nrm........24.html ), you will have to demonstrate that you can train the bacteria to do something that is contrary to their normal biochemically controlled behavior. Note that you can't just assert that some behavior is intelligent without backing that up, and you also cannot just modify your bug to demonstrate this without verifying that your model actually matches reality (e.g., compare http://www.plosbiology.org/article....0020049 to what you do).

The exact chemistry of cellular temporal memory is not known

Basically that's not true (although this depends a bit on how strictly you parse "exact"). From Wikipedia,

Flagellum regulation

The proteins CheW and CheA bind to the receptor. The activation of the receptor by an external stimulus causes autophosphorylation in the histidine kinase, CheA, at a single highly conserved histidine residue. CheA in turn transfers phosphoryl groups to conserved aspartate residues in the response regulators CheB and CheY [ note: CheA is a histidine kinase and it does not actively transfer the phosphoryl group. The response regulator CheB takes the phosphoryl group from CheA]. This mechanism of signal transduction is called a two-component system and is a common form of signal transduction in bacteria. CheY induces tumbling by interacting with the flagellar switch protein FliM, inducing a change from counter-clockwise to clockwise rotation of the flagellum. Change in the rotation state of a single flagellum can disrupt the entire flagella bundle and cause a tumble.
Receptor regulation

CheB, when activated by CheA, acts as a methylesterase, removing methyl groups from glutamate residues on the cytosolic side of the receptor. It works antagonistically with CheR, a methyltransferase, which adds methyl residues to the same glutamate residues. If the level of an attractant remains high, the level of phosphorylation of CheA (and therefore CheY and CheB) will remain low, the cell will swim smoothly, and the level of methylation of the MCPs will increase (because CheB-P is not present to demethylate). However, the MCPs no longer respond to the attractant when they are fully methylated. Therefore, even though the level of attractant might remain high, the level of CheA-P (and CheB-P) increases and the cell begins to tumble. However, now the MCPs can be demethylated by CheB-P, and when this happens, the receptors can once again respond to attractants. The situation is the opposite with regard to repellents (fully methylated MCPs respond best to repellents, while least methylated MCPs respond worst to repellents). This regulation allows the bacterium to 'remember' chemical concentrations from the recent past, a few seconds, and compare them to those it is currently experiencing, thus 'know' whether it is traveling up or down a gradient. Although the methylation system accounts for the wide range of sensitivity [5] that bacteria have to chemical gradients, other mechanisms are involved in increasing the absolute value of the sensitivity on a given background. Well established examples are the ultra-sensitive response of the motor to the CheY-P signal, and the clustering of chemoreceptors.[6][7]

literature shows cells can anticipate a shock of some sort and be in defensive mode in anticipation of another
That's a different issue, with different explanations.

(Woodbine: nicely done!)

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2013,09:58   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ July 18 2013,20:36)
Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 18 2013,20:21)
Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ July 18 2013,20:03)

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 18 2013,18:40)
Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ July 18 2013,17:48)

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 18 2013,17:33)
Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ July 18 2013,09:07)
Gary's single ISCID post. And that one was about his membranes lab exercise. That's a special kind of welcome ISCID provided Gary.

I've got several posts that are still on ISCID.

By the time I arrived (to see whether the self-assembly demonstration would be controversial in that ID community) the ISCID forum was already on its way out.

And whether what I was working on at the time belongs there or not is easily answered by what the ISCID forum says it's for:

The ISCID Forums are aimed at generating insight into the nature of complex systems (e.g. biological complexity, organizational complexity, etc.) and the ontological status of purpose, especially from the vantage point of various information- and design-theoretic models.

With all considered: At that time the self-assembly demo was the most appropriate thing I had to contribute, and since it did not cause a fuss at ISCID things went very well there. A year later what was explained in the topic was on its way to all the science teachers in the US via National Science Teachers Association journal. So at least that IDea actually made it into the public school classrooms! And ISCID can share the pride, in that happening...

Let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly: entering a single comment on a forum that "doesn't cause a fuss" is grounds to claim success? Is that right?

Yes.

I'm used to chaos erupting from a topic like this that I post. If it turned out like this thread then I would have had to plan/prepare for a long protest. But the ID community found no need to argue against it, and as was expected there was no protest after its publishing.

I made a post that created no fuss at all at the Kurzweil AI forum. Yet Gary, in apparent hypocrisy, is on the record objecting that my participation there was a negative for me.

No fuss at the Kurzweil AI forum over your post is a plus for me. None getting upset after you told them (and later positive comment in another thread in regards to my participating instead of causing trouble there) was a bad thing for you. But I can understand how easy it is think of ways of rationalizing the situation you are now in, that at least some in your choir will actually believe.

Gary delivers more projection.

It's not a diagram, but it does seem to annoy Gary to have his reasons for approaching discussion the way he does laid out clearly and documented in his own testimony.

The question of why Gary goes for false, provocative, and malicious statements when mentioning me or replying to me does have an answer. Gary thinks that 1) I have "big-bucks" and 2) if I say something actionable, Gary could sue me and get them. We know this from Gary himself. He refers to "big-bucks" (quoted in this post). And Gary previously revealed his premeditated approach and strategy for using the legal system to enrich himself:

And before I came to this forum Casey gave me free legal advice in regard to what is legally over the line enough to easily win a case for that can come at me from places like this. Where reversed upon Wesley, it would be like someone anonymously calling campus security where they are working to report that their loss of mind is endangering the lives of all in the building they are in, when the truth that was stretched out of proportion is that they needed to use a small amount of flammable liquid to patch around the air conditioning unit that let water pour in every time it rained.

And Gary confirmed again that he was still looking for actionable statements from me here:

I was hoping Wesley would at least attempt to find something "actionable" (that is not outright criminal like chaining me inside a basement torture chamber) that was not already tried on me.

Unfortunately for Gary, he has not and will not be able to provoke me into actionable statements.

Gary's otherwise apparently bizarre behavior in his responses to me becomes explicable with the understanding that he has been angling for a lawsuit, confirmed definitively and spectacularly here.

What's weird is Gary denying the things I've quoted him saying, including his many instances of going "over the line" by falsely accusing me of unethical behavior based on an incident that even Gary has stipulated that he got wrong. Every instance where Gary reiterated the false claim after that point is quite arguably an instance of going "over the line" with actual malice and willful disregard for the truth. Unfortunately, once someone has stated that they are looking for an excuse to sue, they can't be trusted when they backpedal from that. At best, Gary demonstrates yet again that inconsistency is his preferred approach to dealing with the world.

Gary says that he'd like to assimilate my 2009 paper. Unfortunately for Gary, he doesn't yet understand it. For Gary to make headway on trying to replicate what I've done, he would need to start from the same point I do, and be able to demonstrate the same results I've obtained. It isn't sufficient to produce an animation and say "Let's pretend that this is like that."

Can Gary program a system that will itself program a controller for a robot agent in 2D that would yield a *provably* optimal strategy in finding high resource concentrations?

Starting conditions:

* Resource is distributed as a gradient with a single peak randomly placed in a rectangular discrete bounded 2D grid with prime or relatively prime sides.

* The robot agent can sense the difference in concentration of a resource gradient between the current position and one step ahead in the direction of current movement. (Knowledge of the resource is only local.)

* The robot agent is restricted in its means of changing heading. It can only initiate a random tumble, as with ciliary or flagellar movement, resulting in a new random heading.

* The robot agent is restricted in its movement ability. It can only initiate a single-step movement ahead in the current direction.

* The robot agent controller has a Turing-complete computer language and hardware including three registers and three stacks of 10 numbers.

* The initial control program in the simulation includes no heading-change commands and no movement commands.

End results:

The point of the paper is about the production of effective methods in a particular class.

In testing the capability of evolutionary computation to produce effective methods utilizing movement strategies to intelligently exploit spatially-distributed resources, our results show that such strategies do emerge and that in about 12% of shorter runs and in 80% of longer runs the ?nal movement strategy used by the majority of the population at the end of the run is in the class of optimal response for our environment, that of gradient ascent.

If Gary's approach does not generate an effective method, it isn't a replication of the paper. If Gary can't prove the optimality of the generated effective method, anything else he does doesn't matter.

What's strange is that it is unclear about who Gary thinks would work on the project. He seems to think that I would do something in his framework. It isn't entirely impossible that I would install the VB6 IDE on something, but it certainly isn't what I'd consider a generally useful way to spend my time. My Windows machines are already running Windows 7, so installation of VB6 isn't straightforward there. Otherwise, I have a Mac and Linux boxes, so that isn't happening there, either, other than perhaps in a VM. I don't have to have the VB6 IDE, though, to assess the code in Gary's PSC VB project. Conducting a post-mortem on Gary's bug is about all I want to do with it.

I certainly have no motivation to put time into making something "circuited as per" Gary's conjectures. I've already accomplished what I set out to do, which is showing the ability of evolutionary processes to generate effective methods of a provably optimal class. The PSC VB code shows nothing other than an ad hoc approach to establishing behavior of a single agent, with no capability to do anything but one movement strategy, the one the programmer provided.

The Gary Gaulin "Let's pretend" approach to ad hoc computer programs has some obvious drawbacks. Something that would be worth putting some time into would be programming a framework for agent interaction to follow on to the "evolving intelligence" work from my postdoc. I'd go with a object-oriented system based on free, open source, multiplatform tools. Python and PyGame fit the bill nicely. This would open things up for anyone with any platform from a Raspberry Pi on up to use it. The object-oriented approach would allow a relatively clean separation of objects, agents, and environment. While a derived agent class for Heiserman-style robots would be easy to do, the real point would be to also incorporate tools to allow some amount of artificial life work to be done as well. This might be another Python module, but it might also be a way to integrate Avida programs as agent controllers. That would be much like the system Jacob Walker and I worked on at Michigan State to enable Avida programs to be used as robotic controllers for iRobot Create and Lego Mindstorms robot platforms. In this case, the robots would be software agents rather than hardware. Students and educators could use such a system to learn not just about concepts from Heiserman, but a whole panoply of artificial intelligence concepts related to agents, their interactions, and evolutionary computation.

Gary at least indicates that this time around he has some interest in the content of the paper, unlike his still-outstanding claims regarding metadata from the paper. Gary never bothered to retract any of those prior claims, so I'll remind him and everyone else of what those are:

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 04 2013,15:32)

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ July 04 2013,02:04)
Whether Gary admits it or not, one can research intelligent systems in an evolutionary computation framework, and I've done that as well.

Cockroaches, drunkards, and climbers: Modeling the evolution of simple movement strategies using digital organisms

Saying "one can research intelligent systems in an evolutionary computation framework" does not help your case either, that's what I have been saying! And you are in fact influencing the molecular behavior of imaginary cells that in turn influences the behavior of your imaginary virtual critter. Apparently when you say that it's science it's science, but when I do (along with even more detail than you can provide) it's religion.

In this paper you are one of 4 authors who only experimented with GA software called the "Avida digital evolution research platform" which was developed by someone else, not by you. I also experimented with Avida, and would be ashamed of myself for thinking that my playing with it was worth writing a paper for. But seeing a sciency looking abstract in a science journal does look highly scientific and very impressive to someone who does not know what it actually is, like Texas Teach and other gullible science teachers.

In looking at the number of citations (by which the success of a science paper is judged) there were none listed. I expect that is because the scientific community found the "research" as much of a yawn as I do.

And the metrics were quite revealing!

Metrics: 17 Total downloads since Feb. 2011

With only 17 downloads someone like myself has to wonder why you would even bother to publish science papers at all, except of course to advance a career that requires smoke and mirrors to make the big-bucks, and control others who don't know your trick.

Gary does not even attempt to critique the content of the paper. Gary instead attempts, and fails, to critique meta-data about the paper.

For instance, here's the author list:

Author(s)

Elsberry, W.R.
Michigan State Univ., East Lansing, MI
Grabowski, L.M. ; Ofria, C. ; Pennock, R.T.

"Ofria, C." is Charles Ofria.

Wikipedia:

Avida is under active development by Charles Ofria's Digital Evolution Lab at Michigan State University and was originally designed by Ofria, Chris Adami and C. Titus Brown at Caltech in 1993.

If there is any one person who could be said to have written Avida, Prof. Ofria would have the best claim to that. Nor is the paper about use of unaltered Avida, as any competent reader looking at the Methods section would have learned. Most of the coding for the additional instructions and integration of them into Avida was mine.

The IEEE site apparently doesn't do meta-data well. Google Scholar knows of three citations of the paper; not stunning, but not non-existent, either. And the number of downloads at the IEEE site is a count of people who paid either $31 or $13 for the privilege. I don't know how many people downloaded the PDF for free from Charles Ofria's website instead. At a rough valuation, then, the IEEE has realized between $221 and $527 from sales of my paper. Gary said that he had seen the paper before; I wonder whether he paid the IEEE or downloaded it for free from another source. If he didn't buy my paper from the IEEE, then Gary knew that it was not only available from IEEE and therefore whatever download count they had was meaningless as a measure of community interest, and would have made his claim with intentional malice. If Gary did buy the paper from the IEEE, then he knew that the download figure had a real cost associated with it and was not a simple measure of unhindered community interest as his statement implies; again, it is difficult to see how one could posit Gary making that statement without actual malice. Gary has previously claimed to have superior habits in paying attention to detail. Here's a detail from the IEEE "Metrics" tab that gives the download number Gary uses and quotes above; I'll provide it again here:

Total downloads since Feb. 2011

However, the paper was published in 2009. The IEEE site doesn't have download data for the period of time closest to publication, which is when most interest in papers is expressed. If Gary didn't notice the mismatch between the publication date and the download statistics date, it argues that Gary has sub-standard attention to detail, contrary to his previous claims. If Gary, on the other hand, did notice the mismatch in dates and chose to make the argument seen above, he was deliberately misleading readers as to the truth of the situation. Again, Gary's handling of meta-data shows near-total incompetence or actual malice.

Gary:

Saying "one can research intelligent systems in an evolutionary computation framework" does not help your case either, that's what I have been saying! And you are in fact influencing the molecular behavior of imaginary cells that in turn influences the behavior of your imaginary virtual critter. Apparently when you say that it's science it's science, but when I do (along with even more detail than you can provide) it's religion.

Gary has previously stipulated that his PSC VB code contains no evolutionary computation component. Then there is this from Gary:

As a result the Theory Of Intelligent Design is an 'origin of life' theory that requires terminology found primarily in robotics and Artificial Intelligence and never once mentions or borrows from Evolutionary Theory.

So the above is once again a blatant falsehood by Gary; Gary has explicitly stated exactly the opposite of what he claims now. Does Gary think that his past words can't be consulted?

The stuff about "molecular behavior" as a component of our paper is a bizarre invention on Gary's part. It seems unlikely that Gary has read the paper; at the least, his strange statements about it indicate that he did not comprehend it even if his eyes were exposed to reflected light from its pages.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2013,09:59   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 20 2013,09:11)
Quote (k.e.. @ July 19 2013,22:03)
Pure delusional bullshit gg ....are you on crack?

In my opinion you have to be messed up real good on something to think that you can get away with going against standard scientific naming convention and all else in science thats against you from trying to make a theory go away by mocking and ridiculing biblical creationists.

I find it disturbing to think about a recent petition (thankfully this one failed to get enough signatures) for a federal law to ban the Theory of Intelligent Design from public school classrooms. With all said such a law quickly becomes a bad-example not seen since Stalinism, seriously. Will students have to be arrested and made example of by throwing in jail for bringing an Intelligence Design Lab they found at Planet Source Code to school? Or is that such an absurd thought that the judge might instead ask you to take a psychological examination to help figure out what kind of nuts are responsible for laws like that?

Gross Gassbag here is what you wrote....DO YOURSELF A FAVOR GOOGLE PROJECTION

In my opinion you I have to be messed up real good on something to think that you I can get away with going against standard scientific naming convention and all else in science thats against you ME from trying to make a theory go away by mocking and ridiculing fluffing biblical creationists.

I find it disturbing to think bt rcnt pttn (thnkflly ths n fld t gt ngh sgntrs) fr fdrl lw t bn th Thry f ntllgnt Dsgn frm pblc schl clssrms. Wth ll sd sch lw qckly bcms bd-xmpl nt sn snc Stalinism, srsly. Wll stdnts hv t b rrstd nd md xmpl f by thrwng n jl fr brngng n ntllgnc Dsgn Lb thy fnd t Plnt Src Cd t schl? r s tht sch n bsrd thght tht th

Or is that such an absurd thought that the judge might instead ask you ME to take a psychological examination to help figure out what kind of nuts are responsible for laws like that?

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,08:15   

Quote (N.Wells @ July 21 2013,08:27)

In your case what I must most want out of you is your flagellum powered cell model circuited as per the ID theory,
You are the one proposing this nonsense and you are the only one that thinks that it has any promise whatsoever, so this is your responsibility.

Can also test to see whether real e.coli and other can be trained to either attract or repel from stimuli depending on prior experience. If cells can be trained then its not a simple feedback system
Execrable English aside, you've nearly stumbled into a test for your ideas. Many examples of chemotaxis in bacteria and protists are quite well understood ( http://jb.asm.org/content....65.full ), and they don't involve anything that requires intelligence. Their stimuli/response cycles use pathways that compare the prior condition relative to the current condition, which can loosely be talked about in terms of "memory" and "decision", but these are metaphors rather than indicators of intelligent decision-making, and they seem perfectly capable of arising by evolutionary processes. To gain any traction at all against prevailing explanations ( http://www.nature.com/nrm........24.html ), you will have to demonstrate that you can train the bacteria to do something that is contrary to their normal biochemically controlled behavior. Note that you can't just assert that some behavior is intelligent without backing that up, and you also cannot just modify your bug to demonstrate this without verifying that your model actually matches reality (e.g., compare http://www.plosbiology.org/article....0020049 to what you do).

Basically that's not true (although this depends a bit on how strictly you parse "exact"). From Wikipedia,
Flagellum regulation

The proteins CheW and CheA bind to the receptor. The activation of the receptor by an external stimulus causes autophosphorylation in the histidine kinase, CheA, at a single highly conserved histidine residue. CheA in turn transfers phosphoryl groups to conserved aspartate residues in the response regulators CheB and CheY [ note: CheA is a histidine kinase and it does not actively transfer the phosphoryl group. The response regulator CheB takes the phosphoryl group from CheA]. This mechanism of signal transduction is called a two-component system and is a common form of signal transduction in bacteria. CheY induces tumbling by interacting with the flagellar switch protein FliM, inducing a change from counter-clockwise to clockwise rotation of the flagellum. Change in the rotation state of a single flagellum can disrupt the entire flagella bundle and cause a tumble.
Receptor regulation

CheB, when activated by CheA, acts as a methylesterase, removing methyl groups from glutamate residues on the cytosolic side of the receptor. It works antagonistically with CheR, a methyltransferase, which adds methyl residues to the same glutamate residues. If the level of an attractant remains high, the level of phosphorylation of CheA (and therefore CheY and CheB) will remain low, the cell will swim smoothly, and the level of methylation of the MCPs will increase (because CheB-P is not present to demethylate). However, the MCPs no longer respond to the attractant when they are fully methylated. Therefore, even though the level of attractant might remain high, the level of CheA-P (and CheB-P) increases and the cell begins to tumble. However, now the MCPs can be demethylated by CheB-P, and when this happens, the receptors can once again respond to attractants. The situation is the opposite with regard to repellents (fully methylated MCPs respond best to repellents, while least methylated MCPs respond worst to repellents). This regulation allows the bacterium to 'remember' chemical concentrations from the recent past, a few seconds, and compare them to those it is currently experiencing, thus 'know' whether it is traveling up or down a gradient. Although the methylation system accounts for the wide range of sensitivity [5] that bacteria have to chemical gradients, other mechanisms are involved in increasing the absolute value of the sensitivity on a given background. Well established examples are the ultra-sensitive response of the motor to the CheY-P signal, and the clustering of chemoreceptors.[6][7]

literature shows cells can anticipate a shock of some sort and be in defensive mode in anticipation of another

All of you are behind the times. There is now known to be a circuit that may have many flagella wired together to molecularly programmable sensor arrays, while major sensory systems have crosstalk connections to each other resulting in complex behaviors. The days of making it seem that how a cell works is just simple diffusion based chemistry equation are over:

Dynamic map of protein interactions in the Escherichia coli chemotaxis pathway

Molecular architecture of chemoreceptor arrays revealed by cryoelectron tomography of Escherichia coli minicells
http://www.pnas.org/content....-ds=yes

http://opencldev.com/forum......#msg424

--------------
The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,08:31   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 22 2013,16:15)

Flagellum regulation

Receptor regulation

All of you are behind the times. There is now known to be a circuit that may have many flagella wired together to molecularly programmable sensor arrays, while major sensory systems have crosstalk connections to each other resulting in complex behaviors. The days of making it seem that how a cell works is just simple diffusion based chemistry equation are over:

Molecular architecture of chemoreceptor arrays revealed by cryoelectron tomography of Escherichia coli minicells

Gary Gobsmack the days of where a brain addled graphic artist vomits pseudo science as support for a dead Republican attack on science are NOT new.

The days you waste on googling on 'a how a cell works' and tying it to your inane ideas make tomorrows letter box flyers enticing reading.

Try reading cow pats google boy.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,08:46   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ July 21 2013,09:58)
Can Gary program a system that will itself program a controller for a robot agent in 2D that would yield a *provably* optimal strategy in finding high resource concentrations?

That's what the Intelligence Design Lab already does, as well as can be expected for such an "intelligence".

--------------

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,09:06   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 22 2013,08:46)

That's what the Intelligence Design Lab already does, as well as can be expected for such an "intelligence".

I have to add: That is why the circuit is sometimes called "self-programming", in addition to "self-learning".

I program the circuit of the inherently controlling intelligence, that on its own does all the controlling needed to find the food. There is no better way than that, to keep it real.

--------------

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,09:28   

Haste and Waste on Neuronal Pathways

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,09:41   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 22 2013,08:46)

Gary knows the drill. We'll need the file name and line numbers in the PSC VB code where Gary claims this is happening.

Myself, I see no hint that a controller program is generated by the PSC VB code. Maybe Gary's reading comprehension is bad enough that he thinks that a controller program is just the same thing as a controller program generator. But that would be ridiculous, wouldn't it? My paper reported results from the generation of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of actual programs.

Nor does Gary's PSC VB code show any sign of having most of the other starting conditions I listed, nor any sign of doing what I specified was needed as a result:

Starting conditions:

* Resource is distributed as a gradient with a single peak randomly placed in a rectangular discrete bounded 2D grid with prime or relatively prime sides. [Gary sets up discrete, non-gradient resources.]

* The robot agent can sense the difference in concentration of a resource gradient between the current position and one step ahead in the direction of current movement. (Knowledge of the resource is only local.) [Gary's program permits identification of any resource from any position in the space, thus Gary's sensory system implementation is global.]

* The robot agent is restricted in its means of changing heading. It can only initiate a random tumble, as with ciliary or flagellar movement, resulting in a new random heading. [Gary is quite adamant about non-random settings in his PSC VB code.]

* The robot agent is restricted in its movement ability. It can only initiate a single-step movement ahead in the current direction.

* The robot agent controller has a Turing-complete computer language and hardware including three registers and three stacks of 10 numbers. [Gary has nothing of the sort implemented in his code.]

* The initial control program in the simulation includes no heading-change commands and no movement commands. [Gary's code has these things in the controller at the outset.]

End results:

The point of the paper is about the production of effective methods in a particular class.

In testing the capability of evolutionary computation to produce effective methods utilizing movement strategies to intelligently exploit spatially-distributed resources, our results show that such strategies do emerge and that in about 12% of shorter runs and in 80% of longer runs the ?nal movement strategy used by the majority of the population at the end of the run is in the class of optimal response for our environment, that of gradient ascent.

If Gary's approach does not generate an effective method, it isn't a replication of the paper. [Gary's PSC VB code does not do this.] If Gary can't prove the optimality of the generated effective method, anything else he does doesn't matter. [Gary does not do this.]

Nor does Gary address the various unresolved issues from his laughably inept critique of metadata from the 2009 paper:

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 04 2013,15:32)
Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ July 04 2013,02:04)
Whether Gary admits it or not, one can research intelligent systems in an evolutionary computation framework, and I've done that as well.

Cockroaches, drunkards, and climbers: Modeling the evolution of simple movement strategies using digital organisms

In this paper you are one of 4 authors who only experimented with GA software called the "Avida digital evolution research platform" which was developed by someone else, not by you. I also experimented with Avida, and would be ashamed of myself for thinking that my playing with it was worth writing a paper for. But seeing a sciency looking abstract in a science journal does look highly scientific and very impressive to someone who does not know what it actually is, like Texas Teach and other gullible science teachers.

In looking at the number of citations (by which the success of a science paper is judged) there were none listed. I expect that is because the scientific community found the "research" as much of a yawn as I do.

And the metrics were quite revealing!

Metrics: 17 Total downloads since Feb. 2011

With only 17 downloads someone like myself has to wonder why you would even bother to publish science papers at all, except of course to advance a career that requires smoke and mirrors to make the big-bucks, and control others who don't know your trick.

Gary does not even attempt to critique the content of the paper. Gary instead attempts, and fails, to critique meta-data about the paper.

For instance, here's the author list:

Author(s)

Elsberry, W.R.
Michigan State Univ., East Lansing, MI
Grabowski, L.M. ; Ofria, C. ; Pennock, R.T.

"Ofria, C." is Charles Ofria.

Wikipedia:

Avida is under active development by Charles Ofria's Digital Evolution Lab at Michigan State University and was originally designed by Ofria, Chris Adami and C. Titus Brown at Caltech in 1993.

If there is any one person who could be said to have written Avida, Prof. Ofria would have the best claim to that. Nor is the paper about use of unaltered Avida, as any competent reader looking at the Methods section would have learned. Most of the coding for the additional instructions and integration of them into Avida was mine.

The IEEE site apparently doesn't do meta-data well. Google Scholar knows of three citations of the paper; not stunning, but not non-existent, either. And the number of downloads at the IEEE site is a count of people who paid either $31 or $13 for the privilege. I don't know how many people downloaded the PDF for free from Charles Ofria's website instead. At a rough valuation, then, the IEEE has realized between $221 and $527 from sales of my paper. Gary said that he had seen the paper before; I wonder whether he paid the IEEE or downloaded it for free from another source. If he didn't buy my paper from the IEEE, then Gary knew that it was not only available from IEEE and therefore whatever download count they had was meaningless as a measure of community interest, and would have made his claim with intentional malice. If Gary did buy the paper from the IEEE, then he knew that the download figure had a real cost associated with it and was not a simple measure of unhindered community interest as his statement implies; again, it is difficult to see how one could posit Gary making that statement without actual malice. Gary has previously claimed to have superior habits in paying attention to detail. Here's a detail from the IEEE "Metrics" tab that gives the download number Gary uses and quotes above; I'll provide it again here:

Total downloads since Feb. 2011

However, the paper was published in 2009. The IEEE site doesn't have download data for the period of time closest to publication, which is when most interest in papers is expressed. If Gary didn't notice the mismatch between the publication date and the download statistics date, it argues that Gary has sub-standard attention to detail, contrary to his previous claims. If Gary, on the other hand, did notice the mismatch in dates and chose to make the argument seen above, he was deliberately misleading readers as to the truth of the situation. Again, Gary's handling of meta-data shows near-total incompetence or actual malice.

Gary:

Gary has previously stipulated that his PSC VB code contains no evolutionary computation component. Then there is this from Gary:

As a result the Theory Of Intelligent Design is an 'origin of life' theory that requires terminology found primarily in robotics and Artificial Intelligence and never once mentions or borrows from Evolutionary Theory.

So the above is once again a blatant falsehood by Gary; Gary has explicitly stated exactly the opposite of what he claims now. Does Gary think that his past words can't be consulted?

The stuff about "molecular behavior" as a component of our paper is a bizarre invention on Gary's part. It seems unlikely that Gary has read the paper; at the least, his strange statements about it indicate that he did not comprehend it even if his eyes were exposed to reflected light from its pages.

--------------

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,11:19   

Quote (Nomad @ July 21 2013,02:05)

What matters is theory that develops in a way to assimilate you in a way that is good or bad depending on what you choose.

Ummm.... yes.

I AM DYSLEXIA OF BORG. YOUR ASS WILL BE LAMINATED.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,12:46   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ July 22 2013,09:41)
Myself, I see no hint that a controller program is generated by the PSC VB code. Maybe Gary's reading comprehension is bad enough that he thinks that a controller program is just the same thing as a controller program generator. But that would be ridiculous, wouldn't it? My paper reported results from the generation of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of actual programs.

The modeling method described in this theory is for living intelligent things that have sensilla (chemoreceptors), antennas and eyes (including on at least some cells) that are part of a confidence guided memory system as per molecular systems biology and cognitive science.

If you're just writing script programs that take the place of sensors wired to a RAM (and so forth) then I cannot accept it as a realistic model. Sorry.

--------------

NoName

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,13:00   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 22 2013,12:46)
The modeling method described in this theory is for living intelligent things that have sensilla (chemoreceptors), antennas and eyes (including on at least some cells) that are part of a confidence guided memory system as per molecular systems biology and cognitive science.

Quite clearly not.
You completely ignore energy effects, energy transport, activation energies, and a host of other phenomena essential to living things.
Nor can you be said to be focused on the 'intelligent things' aspect, as there is no perceptible intelligence in your model, and still less in your "theory."
Sorry.

Driver

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,13:10   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 22 2013,18:46)
If you're just writing script programs that take the place of sensors wired to a RAM (and so forth) then I cannot accept it as a realistic model. Sorry.

That is gold. Gary can't accept... oh my sides. hahahahhahha.

Classic.

...Still chuckling.

Almost worth the preceding squillion pages.

--------------
Why would I concern myself with evidence, when IMO "evidence" is only the mind arranging thought and matter to support what one already wishes to believe? - William J Murray

[A]t this time a forum like this one is nothing less than a national security risk. - Gary Gaulin

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,13:13   

Quote (NoName @ July 22 2013,13:00)

Quite clearly not.
You completely ignore energy effects, energy transport, activation energies, and a host of other phenomena essential to living things.
Nor can you be said to be focused on the 'intelligent things' aspect, as there is no perceptible intelligence in your model, and still less in your "theory."
Sorry.

You are free to model in whatever detail you desire. Still get the same circuit (along with considerable loss of speed by adding a molecule-by-molecule RAM simulation instead of using what a PC already uses) and where the biological system is not intelligent that doesn't matter either because something doesn't have to be intelligent to be modeled this way.

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,13:18   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ July 22 2013,09:41)

Gary has little enough idea about what is in his own program, and blithers whenever he attempts to talk about my work.

Gary is, once again, blithering.

And Gary is trying to distract attention away from his claim:

That's Gary saying that his PSC VB code already does what my work accomplished. I asked Gary for his file name and line numbers to substantiate that claim. Gary did not provide that.

Gary's claim had nothing to do with Gary's current delusions as to the value of my work. It has everything to do with an explicit claim Gary made concerning what is inside his PSC VB code. Gary can mutter endlessly about how awful work is that he can't even read the metadata about competently, but what Gary has not done and apparently cannot do is show that his claim is anything but hot air.

--------------

NoName

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,13:28   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 22 2013,13:13)
Quote (NoName @ July 22 2013,13:00)

Quite clearly not.
Sorry.

You are free to model in whatever detail you desire. Still get the same circuit (along with considerable loss of speed by adding a molecule-by-molecule RAM simulation instead of using what a PC already uses) and where the biological system is not intelligent that doesn't matter either because something doesn't have to be intelligent to be modeled this way.

And yet another point sails far, far over your head.

Your non-comprehension is legendary.

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,13:53   

Quote (Quack @ July 22 2013,09:28)

That's good to know. I speculate that neurons are used as time delays, especially in vocal system for resonance.

In the new Intelligence Design Lab I have code to purposely change from optimal delay time (like in electronics gives RAM address inputs enough hold time to propagate signal to data inputs then write memory) to a delay that keeps it a full timestep behind the other lobe.

I cannot say whether this delay timing has advantages to offset its slower response time, but the new charts make it easy to compare so I'm now checking how well it does after a long run to where it's well experienced with whatever behavior it ends up having.

--------------

Jim_Wynne

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,14:46   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 22 2013,13:53)

That's good to know. I speculate that neurons are used as time delays, especially in vocal system for resonance.

In the new Intelligence Design Lab I have code to purposely change from optimal delay time (like in electronics gives RAM address inputs enough hold time to propagate signal to data inputs then write memory) to a delay that keeps it a full timestep behind the other lobe.

I cannot say whether this delay timing has advantages to offset its slower response time, but the new charts make it easy to compare so I'm now checking how well it does after a long run to where it's well experienced with whatever behavior it ends up having.

Once again, FTFY

--------------
Evolution is not about laws but about randomness on happanchance.--Robert Byers, at PT

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,15:14   

OMG, what did I do? LOL.

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,18:09   

Quote (Quack @ July 22 2013,15:14)

OMG, what did I do? LOL.

I'm not sure yet but I never saw this before!

After using the line of code that gets RAM Address 1 cycle behind optimum (instead of no perceptible delay) the confidence lines on the chart showed one lobe dominating another, that I found coming from small imbalance between the two in how left/right spin sensor was calculated when there were many digits in the number. That took out the imbalance there, then the dominant lobe went to the other side. I then added a line of code to be 1/2 cycle behind in timing, and the lobes worked together just fine and was a faster learner.

One thing for sure, experimenting with timing is helping find the annoying math errors from some numbers getting big. Seems like when timing is way slow the least little thing out of place between the two lobes causes one to become dominant over another, or is in how the loop switches lobe but I'm still testing sensory code, all because of you! But it was a good time to go over the new sensory code, in this much detail, so I don't mind.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,20:55   

Gary why are you still posting here? Use the power of PSC to crush these science-deniers. Don't moan about a day job, get off your arse and write some VB, chop chop.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,21:10   

Ah ha!

Since it takes 1 cycle for the spin sensor to sense being in a spin its being 1 cycle back made that sensor barely useful anymore, and I'm apparently seeing it making the best of what little sense that leaves it with (when it was seeing nothing at all). Making the Spin sensor act without delay improved things, no longer favored one lobe, by leaving the spinning direction more to the other. But that reduced how well it did with optimum timing, which is the fastest learner of them all, and did better with delayed Spin that takes a full cycle of motor torque (one lobe timestep followed by other's timestep) to be considered spinning.

All did well staying fed, within a few pixels of each other at almost 100% full at all times. It helps to be at optimal hold time (less than 1/2 cycle for sensory to reach memory address in and write) but still works with a long delay.

I'm not sure how that might apply to motor neuron delays, but that's what happens in this model, from not being optimal speed with memory.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2013,23:49   

Less typey, more codey, Gary.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Driver

(Permalink) Posted: July 23 2013,04:16   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 23 2013,03:10)
I'm not sure how that might apply to motor neuron delays, but that's what happens in this model

Now you've opened the door a tiny way, it should be easier for you to push it wide open and stride into that space where you admit that reality and your code are not bedfellows.

--------------
Why would I concern myself with evidence, when IMO "evidence" is only the mind arranging thought and matter to support what one already wishes to believe? - William J Murray

[A]t this time a forum like this one is nothing less than a national security risk. - Gary Gaulin

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: July 23 2013,08:25   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 22 2013,22:10)
Ah ha!

Since it takes 1 cycle for the spin sensor to sense being in a spin its being 1 cycle back made that sensor barely useful anymore, and I'm apparently seeing it making the best of what little sense that leaves it with (when it was seeing nothing at all). Making the Spin sensor act without delay improved things, no longer favored one lobe, by leaving the spinning direction more to the other. But that reduced how well it did with optimum timing, which is the fastest learner of them all, and did better with delayed Spin that takes a full cycle of motor torque (one lobe timestep followed by other's timestep) to be considered spinning.

All did well staying fed, within a few pixels of each other at almost 100% full at all times. It helps to be at optimal hold time (less than 1/2 cycle for sensory to reach memory address in and write) but still works with a long delay.

I'm not sure how that might apply to motor neuron delays, but that's what happens in this model, from not being optimal speed with memory.

no one gives a fuck, fool

Let us know when this shit gets published somewhere

no, i don't mean Video Gaming Semi-Decadal Reviews or Dispatches from the Round Room either

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell.Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: July 23 2013,11:08   

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 22 2013,08:15)

Flagellum regulation

Receptor regulation

Gary, you said  
I said, no, we know quite a lot about how the chemistry works, and cited a bit of text as an example. How on earth are you bolstering your earlier point that the exact chemistry is unknown by now claiming that we know even more than what I said?  So thank you for confirming my point.

GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: July 23 2013,15:52   

Quote (N.Wells @ July 23 2013,11:08)

Quote (GaryGaulin @ July 22 2013,08:15)

Flagellum regulation

Receptor regulation

Gary, you said
I said, no, we know quite a lot about how the chemistry works, and cited a bit of text as an example. How on earth are you bolstering your earlier point that the exact chemistry is unknown by now claiming that we know even more than what I said? So thank you for confirming my point.

The imagining only shows the outer structure of one kind of sensor, not memory circuits wired-up on the inside to sensory hair/antennas, eyes, even cellular versions of a mouth.

Quack earlier found an article on complex molecular structure/scaffolding now being studied at the DNA level, which must also be understood or you can't accurately model a cell either. Best you can do is let Wesley's talking like he already did fool you and everyone else into thinking that the scant amount that is now known is enough to produce a realistic biological model.

The circuit described in the theory is still proving to be the first step towards making a virtual cell come to life. Need that, for modeling something that critters at our multicellular level have for sensory and motor systems that get quite complex at the cellular level, especially in protozoa.

--------------

18634 replies since Oct. 31 2012,02:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (622) < ... 211 212 213 214 215 [216] 217 218 219 220 221 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]