RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (500) < ... 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 2, general discussion of Dembski's site< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 06 2008,16:42   

Quote (ERV @ Dec. 06 2008,17:26)
Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Dec. 06 2008,09:17)
UD has now posted the trailer for Expelled! to promote the DVD, complete with clips plagiarized from the Xvivo animation that were replaced in the theatrical release.

No, thats an old trailer thats been bopping around the biblotard blogs for a while-- pre-theater release.

http://endogenousretrovirus.blogspot.com/2008....ks.html

UD is only eight months behind.

That was my point - it's an old trailer with the offending material. But they are featuring it on page one.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 06 2008,16:59   

News from FTE!!1!!!1!1!11!!

Hey, Albie, the first one is for you!

- Just last week we began distributing examination copies of The Design of Life (DoL) to university faculty interested in reviewing it for possible use.

- Just this week, another FTE book was released! Several months ago, FTE signed a contract with the Intercollegiate Studies Institute, which has published excellent scholarly books since 1953. This contract gave ISI permission to edit and republish the 8th chapter of DoL under the title, How to Be an Intellectually Fulfilled Atheist—Or Not. (Proper credits to FTE, DoL, and the authors appear on the copyright page.)

- A second contract with ISI calls for them to take DoL into the big box stores for us and share in the profits. We have vigorously sought nationwide distribution for DoL, and work is well underway behind the scenes to set the wheels in motion for this distribution.

We are on the verge of destroying materialism! Send money!

We are encouraged by these developments and by the notes and the contributions we received in response to our letter last month in which I shared how serious our financial situation was. We are far from out of the woods yet. DoL sales are running a little behind our sales projections, which called for selling the first print run in a two-year period. Nevertheless, with the accelerated sales we should realize through the advances in distribution and marketing highlighted above, it is quite feasible we will make our target if we can continue the aggressive program we have launched.

But to do so, we must receive close to $100,000 by the end of the year. Since we do not know how deep or how long-lasting this current economic downturn will prove to be, it is critical that FTE pay off a $35,000 commercial loan, co-signed by a friend of FTE, and another $6,000 personal loan to FTE. Another $50,000 is required in order to move ahead with the marketing of our books and the operation of our work in the new year. We need the help of our partners—your help—today, if you are in a position to do so.

Come on all you ivory tower intuhlekshuls, your jobs are safe. So help poor Jon Buell out with a generous contribution.

Please be praying about what God would have you give, knowing that for every dollar you contribute, there will be another one to match it.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Hermagoras

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 06 2008,17:55   

Quote (Ra-Úl @ Dec. 06 2008,15:14)

Quote (carlsonjok @ Dec. 06 2008,08:56)
Maybe I am just easy to entertain, but yesterday afternoon, right before heading out for dinner, I popped over to UD to see if Prof. Oloffson was continuing his spanking of PaV. I was amused to find that UD is expanding their advertisement program beyond linking to the various buy-my-books.  Observe:

New motto for UD: Serving Pizza to the Intelligent Design Community.

The stuff I miss with AdBlock.  

BTW, Oloffson has finally lost patience with PaV.  But PaV refuses to learn, and to PO's mention of an email to PaV explaining Bayesian inference at greater length, PaV huffs:  
As to the email, don’t expect a response.

Another victory for Intelligent Design!  PaV can't  refuses to can't understand, and so he wins.

--------------
"I am not currently proving that objective morality is true. I did that a long time ago and you missed it." -- StephenB

http://paralepsis.blogspot.com/....pot.com

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 06 2008,22:20   

Denyse loses her single remaining marble and launches a tirade against the Brits:
Dammit, Brits, we’ve bailed you out of two World Wars. Don’t force us to do it again. My Dad was one of the very few survivors of his Canadian air force unit.

It is overwhelmingly obvious that Darwinism and its attendant =isms are a bunch of crap. How many of your own must you feed to the shredders before you recognize that?

Hey, I’m a Canuck (really, honestly) and we’re a-watchin’! And we don’t see why you need us to tell you.. Maybe this is the day when you need us and all you get is awful silence.

Richard, in your last defence, if you are betrayed by all hands, come to Canada!

Traditional Canadians are fighting back against the most worthless and disgusting mob you have ever imagined, who only want to plunder us and have no concern whether Canada even survives as a country.

But we ARE fighting back. And GOD is watching. So all, look out.

Take that, you whingeing Poms!

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 06 2008,23:20   

Quote (keiths @ Dec. 06 2008,23:20)
Denyse loses her single remaining marble and launches a tirade against the Brits:
Dammit, Brits, we’ve bailed you out of two World Wars. Don’t force us to do it again. My Dad was one of the very few survivors of his Canadian air force unit.

It is overwhelmingly obvious that Darwinism and its attendant =isms are a bunch of crap. How many of your own must you feed to the shredders before you recognize that?

Hey, I’m a Canuck (really, honestly) and we’re a-watchin’! And we don’t see why you need us to tell you.. Maybe this is the day when you need us and all you get is awful silence.

Richard, in your last defence, if you are betrayed by all hands, come to Canada!

Traditional Canadians are fighting back against the most worthless and disgusting mob you have ever imagined, who only want to plunder us and have no concern whether Canada even survives as a country.

Jesus. Somebody should tell her not to drink and blog.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Nerull

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 06 2008,23:40   

404ed in 5...4...3...

--------------
To rebut creationism you pretty much have to be a biologist, chemist, geologist, philosopher, lawyer and historian all rolled into one. While to advocate creationism, you just have to be an idiot. -- tommorris

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,00:54   

gpuccio  
Indeed, I think that God, who is not designed, does not know by inference. So, inference is probably a process inherent in the designed structures used by consciousness to express itself effectively at the consciousness-mind-matter interface.
I am lost. Does this mean that god had to design things  in a predetermined way because he didn't know better?
Consciousness-mind-matter interface? Sounds borderline.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,01:14   

What hell is this? is truly one for the scrapbook.  My copy of the OP and first response is safely stored away in c:\UD-WTF to share with future generations.

It's even better right now because her reference to Buggs' original article, http://www.refdag.nl/artikel/1366432/Chimpanzee.html is redirecting to a page conveniently written in Dutch that seems to translate that it's a Reformed Newspaper and it doesn't publish on Sundays.

Science all the way.

JLT

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,02:46   

Given these statistics, it is factually incorrect to say that humans are 99% the same as chimpanzees. Yet, just last month, the Natural History Museum in London and the University of Chicago Press in the USA published a book entitled “99% Ape: How evolution adds up.” This misleading title was doubtless chosen by a marketing guru rather than the editor, who is a reputable and distinguished scientist in plant evolutionary ecology (the field in which I did my doctoral research).

Fun fact: We are 100% ape.

--------------
"Random mutations, if they are truly random, will affect, and potentially damage, any aspect of the organism, [...]
Thus, a realistic [computer] simulation [of evolution] would allow the program, OS, and hardware to be affected in a random fashion." GilDodgen, Frilly shirt owner

Advocatus Diaboli

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,02:52   

Clive Hayden to the rescue:

12/07/2008

3:06 am

ribczynski

I deleted your first comment on this post because of the snide tone. I’ve seen your arguments, and they are usually mostly civil, so I have no problem….But this last comment flew all over me. Do not be rude, snide, or have any condescending demeanor, or I will ban you.

--------------
I once thought that I made a mistake, but I was wrong.

"I freely admit I’m a sociopath" - DaveScot

"Most importanly, the facts are on the side of ID." - scordova

"UD is the greatest website of all time." stevestory

JLT

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,03:13   

Quote (Advocatus Diaboli @ Dec. 07 2008,08:52)
Clive Hayden to the rescue:

12/07/2008

3:06 am

ribczynski

I deleted your first comment on this post because of the snide tone. I’ve seen your arguments, and they are usually mostly civil, so I have no problem….But this last comment flew all over me. Do not be rude, snide, or have any condescending demeanor, or I will ban you.

rib's comment:
Denyse O’Leary wrote:
Common ancestry? Well, it’s way easier to defend if we start with the fact that humans and chimps are NOT obviously all that similar. So starting with a lower (believable) figure would be a better way to begin than starting with a higher (unbelievable) figure.
That’s all Buggs was trying to do.

Denyse,
Surely you don’t expect us to believe that Buggs was defending common ancestry, do you?
Buggs is a creationist. He published his article in a religious newspaper run by creationists. His article argues that the similarities between humans and chimps are overstated. Was he really surprised, then, that creationists took his article as evidence for creationism, just as Joseph did here at UD? Particularly when he said nothing in his article to discourage this inevitable interpretation?
Please.

--------------
"Random mutations, if they are truly random, will affect, and potentially damage, any aspect of the organism, [...]
Thus, a realistic [computer] simulation [of evolution] would allow the program, OS, and hardware to be affected in a random fashion." GilDodgen, Frilly shirt owner

JLT

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,03:28   

Khan asks:

Jerry,
do you accept the evidence that mitochondria evolved from endosymbiotic bacteria? If so, then the addition of an organelle to a primitive cell is about as clear an example of macro-evolution (by any definition) as you can get.

<a href="Jerry" target='_blank'>Jerry</a>:
I am not sure I accept endosymbiotic theory or that eukaryotic cells evolved when one prokaryote absorbed another. It is also something I do not disagree with since I know little about it. It does not, it if true. affect anything I understand about ID. If in fact eukaryotes originated this way this does not act as a general proof of macro evolution which is primarily a multi-celled hypothesis.

Aaaahahahaha!

For all of you in need of a tard fix, read all the answers. It's rich.

--------------

RupertG

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,03:59   

So, let me get this straight. In terms of World War II, both Nazis and Brits were Darwinevilists? I thought it was the dastardly Hun who ravaged Europe and tried to wipe out the Jews in the name of Charlie, fighting like devishes under the banner of his bearded, scowling face set against a broken cross of unzipping DNA, and now it turns out the cowardly couldn't-win-without-the-noble-Creationist-shining-armies-of-the-US Brits were also at it?

How we were betrayed by our traitorous war leaders, and their propaganda-spewing apologists who followed them! Each bomb that fell, each ship that was sunk, each plane blown out of the air - they were just love-pats from our cousins in common descent heresy! How could we have been so stupid!

That's why Expelled failed. It was too timid. Too constrained. Too self-censored. The next project, Denyse and co., should be a full-length animated epic, telling the story of World War II as it REALLY happened.

Oh, Denyse, Denyse! Your clever sophistry leaves this Brit in confusion and dismay. Can the glorious victory of ID be far behind?

--------------
Uncle Joe and Aunty Mabel
Fainted at the breakfast table
Children, let this be a warning
Never do it in the morning -- Ralph Vaughan Williams

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,04:49   

Clive asks a question

Clive Hayden

12/07/2008

4:58 am

Your comment had a condescending tone. I don’t mind one bit that you present your arguments, just keep them properly respectful. I apologize on behalf of anyone who has treated you unduly disrespectful that’s associated with UD. That’s no reason to act that way yourself. Let’s just stick to civil and respectful arguments and discussions. Otherwise, I will ban you. There’s no double standard in that.

I have to ask, why do people record our comments and post them on that website you linked?

Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

JLT

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,04:56   

Quote (JLT @ Dec. 07 2008,09:28)
 <a href="Jerry" target='_blank'>Jerry</a>:

I am not sure I accept endosymbiotic theory or that eukaryotic cells evolved when one prokaryote absorbed another. It is also something I do not disagree with since I know little about it. It does not, it if true. affect anything I understand about ID. If in fact eukaryotes originated this way this does not act as a general proof of macro evolution which is primarily a multi-celled hypothesis.

Aaaahahahaha!

For all of you in need of a tard fix, read all the answers. It's rich.

Ungh. Next time I do this preview thing.
Fixed link: Jerry

Bonus Jerry quotes:
The debate does not hinge on a single refutation of an IC system or even the possible development of a macro evolution system but it would have to be shown that this was a general trend in nature not just a fluke one time occurrence.

Endosymbiosis I believe has little implication for this debate since it irrelevant for OOL and for multi-celled macro evolution .*

* I wonder whether Jerry realizes that he just dismissed the whole bacterial flagellum story as completely irrelevant because bacteria are single-celled.

--------------

JLT

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,05:01   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Dec. 07 2008,10:49)
Clive asks a question  

I have to ask, why do people record our comments and post them on that website you linked?

We do it for the LULZ.

--------------

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,05:38   

Quote (JLT @ Dec. 07 2008,05:01)

Clive asks a question      

We do it for the LULZ.

I had a real good one too!

I remember having come across this statement a couple of times:

"If you gotta know, you never get to know." Guess it applies to this case.

On a more serious note: US creationism export?

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,06:38   

Rubbing it in department:    
Mark Frank: "Please don’t slip back into the old ways of banning anything that is slightly feisty. Look at the fascinating and in-depth discussion that arose here by allowing some direct talk."

(1) I’ve pretty much dispensed with the EF. It suggests that chance, necessity, and design are mutually exclusive. They are not.

1of63

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,07:05   

Dammit, Brits, we’ve bailed you out of two World Wars. Don’t force us to do it again.

You knowledge of history is about as good as your knowledge of biology.  The Canucks were good scrappers but it was the Yanks what bailed us out.

My Dad was one of the very few survivors of his Canadian air force unit.

So was my dad - a survivor of the war in REME  (Royal Engineers Minus Educayshun).  That's why we're both here in case you hadn't noticed. (I wonder if your mate Clive would pass this comment.  Nah, probably not)

It is overwhelmingly obvious that Darwinism and its attendant =isms are a bunch of crap.

Quite right, Denyse, old darling.  That's why it's only Paleyist throwbacks who get all hot under the collar about "Darwinism".  The rest of the world - even in Canuckland - talk about biology and evolution.

Hey, I’m a Canuck (really, honestly) ...

I know, and, believe me, the rest of Canada has our sympathy

Maybe this is the day when you need us and all you get is awful silence.

..and very Christian that would be, too!

Here's a suggestion:  Sarah Palin's husband hates the US so much he wants Alaska to split away.  Why not hook up with them?  You and her would get along like a house on fire.  She could certainly help you with your writing.

Why?  If he's there. all your God ever seems to do is watch.  He watches genocides, holocausts, massacres, pogroms, slavery, famines, epidemics, etc.  On that record, he's not going to be arsed to do anything about a minor squabble about biology.

--------------
I set expectations at zero, and FL limbos right under them. - Tracy P. Hamilton

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,07:46   

God watched my little boy poop in his pants this morning.  That bastard didn't try to do anything to stop it either.  He never does.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,07:57   

Quote (JLT @ Dec. 07 2008,13:01)
Clive asks a question    

We do it for the LULZ.

hahahahaha  and we blow a linguolabial trill in their general direction

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,08:00   

My Dad was one of the very few survivors of his Canadian air force unit.

So was my dad - a survivor of the war in REME  (Royal Engineers Minus Educayshun).  That's why we're both here in case you hadn't noticed. (I wonder if your mate Clive would pass this comment.  Nah, probably not)

If my Dad had her I'm sure he would have wished HE had NOT SURVIVED.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,08:44   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Dec. 06 2008,16:59)
News from FTE!!1!!!1!1!11!!

Hey, Albie, the first one is for you!

- Just last week we began distributing examination copies of The Design of Life (DoL) to university faculty interested in reviewing it for possible use.

Damn, and I already got a copy of DoL when it became apparent that my multiple requests for an examination copy were to be forever unrequited...

Thanks for sharing that message, with its "pass the collection basket" tone. It is hilarious how these guys really can't hide their evangelohuckster roots for very long...

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

dnmlthr

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,08:52   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Dec. 07 2008,13:46)
God watched my little boy poop in his pants this morning.  That bastard didn't try to do anything to stop it either.  He never does.

Those kind of things take a few years to deal with, but she'll get there eventually. Lot of pant-pooping kids to tend to y'know.

--------------
Guess what? I don't give a flying f*ck how "science works" - Ftk

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,09:01   

Quote (dnmlthr @ Dec. 07 2008,16:52)
Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Dec. 07 2008,13:46)

Those kind of things take a few years to deal with, but she'll get there eventually. Lot of pant-pooping kids to tend to y'know.

He probably will make a good scientist he doesn't listen to g$d...right Daniel?

--------------

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,09:29   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Dec. 07 2008,07:46)

Why would he? If you want to make a good shitter (or a good creationist,) you better begin early. Lessons learned early in life are hard to unlearn.

With our two daughters, long before they were one year old, my wife used to put them on a potty oftentimes when they were taken out of bed for feeding or whatever. They soon got the idea and did what they were supposed to do.

So, IIRC (that was about 50 years ago) they both were able to go without diapers before 12 months old.

But those same two daughters, when they had children of their own found it  easier to let such things sort themselves out - which they eventually did.

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Maya

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,09:29   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Dec. 07 2008,04:49)
Clive asks a question

Clive Hayden

12/07/2008

4:58 am

Your comment had a condescending tone. I don’t mind one bit that you present your arguments, just keep them properly respectful. I apologize on behalf of anyone who has treated you unduly disrespectful that’s associated with UD. That’s no reason to act that way yourself. Let’s just stick to civil and respectful arguments and discussions. Otherwise, I will ban you. There’s no double standard in that.

Do they really not understand that they are so profoundly ignorant about science and so patently flailing about intellectually (for lack of a better word), grasping at straws to preserve their unfounded, cherished beliefs that those not infected with their peculiar memetic virus find them funny?  (Yes, Davey, we're laughing at you.)

Sorry, I'll take that first sentence out behind the barn and give it a good hiding now.

dmso74

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,09:46   

One for the Tard record books from Joseph:
As for the evidence for endosymbiosis- the SAME data can be used to say that mitochondria and chloroplasts DEvolved from living cells of a eukaryote.

UD

Where to begin with this one?

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,10:03   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Dec. 06 2008,23:20)
Quote (keiths @ Dec. 06 2008,23:20)

Jesus. Somebody should tell her not to drink and blog.

I have an awful suspicion about what has been driving Densyse and her anger towards us Darwinists....

It's a sad tale, that I heard about  from a friend of a friendm, that knew someone, begun when a young Brit... let's call him "Richard"*... first came over from the Old Blighty, and in the midst of touring the provinces, amd sowing his wild oats, and way before he settled down in the USA, had a fling with an older woman, that he eventually spurned.  (Wouldn't you?)  

She's never forgotten that young lad, a Darwisit to his core, and teh meaning he brought to her uneducated Canuckian self, though it was alas, for such a short time (until he sobered up and woke up in the morning and realized he needed to leave... and head to another country... quickly.  And though young, he was experienced in the ways of love, and extremely and eternaly thankful that his arm was not under her torso when he awoke, as he was prepared to gnaw off his own arm, rather than wake her and have to face her in the morning... but I digress.

The rest as they say is history.  She's never gotten over the Mad Passionate Darwinst Love, and has since hated men, Darwin, and especially Brits.  It's why she can't even write the King's English correctly you know.

If only this "richard" would relent and be willing to Sacrifice himself For Science - and give her the 100 % Mad Monkey Love she craves.

"Richard"? Are you out there?  Once more into the breach old son.  Do it for The Queen and Country!

* For legal purposes,  I am required to add, that this is an entirely fictional account.  It in NO Way resembles Former Poster Richard T Hughes, (RIP) who is a Brit, living somewher in the USA, and that has been often linked to older women.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 07 2008,10:34   

UD seems to be having some technical difficulties.
What dreams may come?

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

14997 replies since July 17 2008,19:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (500) < ... 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]