RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (167) < ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... >   
  Topic: AFDave's UPDATED Creator God Hypothesis 2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Drew Headley

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2006,16:24   

Quote (afdave @ Oct. 16 2006,21:04)
Also, your use of the Zuckerkandl quote was a quotemine, you deliberately portrayed his statement as being the mainstream opinion at the time, when in fact it was not.
I don't think you know what the mainstream opinion was at the time.  I just subscribed to Science ... should be active sometime this week ... I will be doing some searches to see what the truth is about this.  Also, I recently met someone who maintains contact with Michael Denton.  I hope to ask him how he got his impression that Zuckerkandl's statement was mainstream, among other things.

I guess I don't have to tell you how influential Michael Denton has been in debunking Darwinism.

Frankly, I had never heard of Michael Denton until you brought up his book. But, I am getting my Ph.D. in neuroscience so my field of expertise is not one that Denton involves himself with.

As for whether Zuckerkandl's statement was the mainstream position, all I needed to do was actually read what he wrote. He not only said in the Scientific American article that his opinion was contraversial but also in reflection that it was his opinion and he only held it for a year. This indicates that his position was not the mainstream. But please, contact Denton and find out what his interpretation is. I would really like to know.

Finally, I am happy you are subscribing to Science.

Drew Headley

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2006,16:28   

Sorry, double-post.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2006,17:25   

BWE ... thanks for reposting the Portuguese piece.  That was the meat of it, although there was more.  And yes, I won.  

You're lying again, Dave. Lying in a big, big, way. You lost that debate utterly.

Don't you ever feel bad about being such a brazenly dishonest person? Don't you ever think it just maybe makes a mockery of your supposedly superior morality? Or do you have some idea that as a Christian, Jesus wants you to lie?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2006,17:44   

I guess I don't have to tell you how influential Michael Denton has been in debunking Darwinism.

Given that Denton accepts evolution and speciation, as was posted in this thread...yeah, right. From Denton's "Nature's Destiny:"    
" Contrary to the creationist position, the whole argument presented here is critically dependent on the presumption of the unbroken continuity of the organic world - that is, on the reality of organic evolution and on the presumption that all living organisms on earth are natural forms in the profoundest sense of the word, no less natural than salt crystals, atoms, waterfalls, or galaxies.".

Another quote from Denton, refuting your view:    
"So the sharp discontinuities, referred to above, between different organs and adaptations and different types of organisms, which have been the bedrock of antievolutionary arguments for the past century , have now greatly diminished at the DNA level. Organisms which seem very different at a morphological level can be very close together at the DNA level." p.276

Denton accepts natural selection and Mayr's "evolution as such". He accepts that speciation has been clearly observed in various ways and that the fossil record is inconsistent with a creationist view.

And as a final nail in the coffin, in case you want to argue that Denton was dismissing gradualism and supporting saltationist views:
"Surely, such
transitions must have involved long lineages including many collateral lines of hundreds or probably thousands of transitional species. P.193-4.

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2006,18:05   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Oct. 16 2006,22:25)

BWE ... thanks for reposting the Portuguese piece.  That was the meat of it, although there was more.  And yes, I won.  

You're lying again, Dave. Lying in a big, big, way. You lost that debate utterly.

Don't you ever feel bad about being such a brazenly dishonest person? Don't you ever think it just maybe makes a mockery of your supposedly superior morality? Or do you have some idea that as a Christian, Jesus wants you to lie?

Jesus, Dave, what kind of an idiot are you? You LOST the Portuguese "debate," everyone knows you lost it, and continuing against all the evidence to claim you "won" it just makes you look like the densest moron ever to learn how to type.

--------------
2006 MVD award for most dogged defense of scientific sanity

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2006,19:03   

Okay Dave, I think maybe you need help. What I think is going on here is that you have an overinflated ego and a horror of admitting that you've ever been wrong about anything. But let me tell you, it's not so bad. If I had made a statement like you made and people more knowledgeable than myself had shown me I was wrong, I would say something like:

"Oh, okay, I guess you're right. I thought Portuguese looked like a cross between French and Spanish, but I guess that was just my impression. I see that's not really going on. Learn something new every day. Interesting!"

Now, Dave, if you had said THIS last spring, instead of ignoring people's counterarguments, making new erroneous statements, and repeatedly declaring 'victory', the whole subject would have been forgotten long ago, and people would have a much higher opinion of you. Seriously. I don't know what kind of circles you travel in, but in civilized society making a mistake, refusing to admit the mistake, and declaring victory makes you look much more stupid than the original mistake would have. Additionally, this attitude of yours casts your religious beliefs in a very unimpressive light, in that it unfairly makes Christians look stupid.

I hate to say it, but you should have learned all this many years ago, Dave. But it's not too late.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2006,21:36   

Quote (afdave @ Oct. 16 2006,19:24)
* Jeannot doesn't understand what "genetically rich" means

Indeed I don't. Maybe it's because it doesn't make any sense.
Would you care to explain the concept of "genetic richness" in a single individual, with details, please?

???

Cedric Katesby

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,00:05   

AFDave, you're a busy man. I appreciate that.
Working down in the quote-mines all day, looking for those 'special' 40+ year old articles to prop up your bizzare YEC beliefs.
Just in case you missed my previous posts, I thought I'd repost this for you.... :)

"So, AFDave...about this 'supposed' e-mail you sent to those fine, upstanding Christians down at AIG?
When did you send it, pray tell?
And did they remove the article?
Yes or No?"

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,02:05   

Quote (afdave @ Oct. 16 2006,19:24)
* Cory thinks Noah took fish on the ark ...

What I said:

So here we go. First question. How many KINDS of salmon were there on the ark, Dave? (Hint: "none" is really not going to work out well for you. I guarantee it. You might want to head for the hills now when it comes to this topic.)

Looks like Dave didn't take the hint.

Quiz question:  How long is a generation for salmon?

What type of salmon, Dave? The answer to your question will depend on species (and genus), life history, geography, and evolutionary history. However, a salmon generation is generally 2-6 years, but there are exceptions.

Your turn:

1. How many species of salmon are there?

2. How many genera of salmon are there?

3. What is the difference between a salmon and a trout?

4. How many species of salmonids (combined) are there?

5. Which ones survived the flood? How?

6. Is there anything unique about salmon life history that might make it particularly easy for them to become reproductively isolated? Would this make different populations detectably different?

7. What taxonomy did Hendry et al. come up with for their new "species"? What species was it at the beginning of the study? What species was it at the end?

6. Exactly how do you think salmon genetics helps your case for 6,000 year-old creation?

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,02:39   

Dave, before we go much further, [Edit: Link and a little too much identifying personal information for my own comfort now removed.]

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,03:56   

Hah. One of the most pleasant digs I'd ever been on was "doubling up" with some fish biologists studying arctic grayling and char (a salmonid, Dave, JFYI) in Alaska. On rainy days when the archaeology was slow, it was fun to set nets and catalogue populations -- reminded me of the leisurely earthiness of geology fieldwork. Plus the char wuz some good eats and feisty, too. Sorry, Ichthyic.

--------------

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,06:04   

Quote (deadman_932 @ Oct. 17 2006,08:56)
Hah. One of the most pleasant digs I'd ever been on was "doubling up" with some fish biologists studying arctic grayling and char (a salmonid, Dave, JFYI) in Alaska. On rainy days when the archaeology was slow, it was fun to set nets and catalogue populations -- reminded me of the leisurely earthiness of geology fieldwork. Plus the char wuz some good eats and feisty, too. Sorry, Ichthyic.

Ayuh, that's the idyllic end of the spectrum when it comes to field research in fish biology. My vote for the other end would be a very attractive female grad student I knew who served as the NMFS inspector on an Alaskan fishing vessel. For three months at sea, it was nothing but her and a hundred rough-and-tumble mates. Hers is the prettiest face I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley.

Mike PSS

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,06:16   

Quote (incorygible @ Oct. 17 2006,08:05)

6. Is there anything unique about salmon life history that might make it particularly easy for them to become reproductively isolated? Would this make different populations detectably different?

In the 1980's my father took myself and my brother on a canoe trip of the Bowron Lakes circuit in central B.C.  Geologically parts of the Bowron Lakes were actually the main river channel of what is today the Fraser River.  However, many millions of years ago the river channel changed (and changed course from west-to-east into an east-to-west direction) and stranded some of the Bowron Lakes (and attached lakes draining to them) from fish access to the sea.

We fished some of these lakes and caught fresh-water salmon, still a pinkish-red meat and the shape of Chinnook (I think, could be wrong, Coho maybe?).  The salmon fry had been stranded in the lakes and for millions of years couldn't migrate to the ocean so they adapted to the fresh water lakes they could access.

So now to AFDave,
I guess his explanation would be that the "salmon" were stranded in the Bowron Lakes because as the water receded they found themselves in these lakes.  HOWEVER, we don't find fresh-water salmon in other lakes in the area, only certain lakes.
What's the UCGH say about this phenomena?

Mike PSS

p.s. DAVE, STILL WAITING ON YOUR COMMENTS ABOUT ISOCHRONS.  I'VE REBUTTED EVERYTHING YOU'VE POSTED SO YOU HAVE TO COMMENT ON MY REBUTTAL OR GIVE UP YOUR MIXING POSITION.  RESTATING YOUR ORIGINAL ARGUMENT ISN'T A REBUTTAL.

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,07:27   

HOWEVER, we don't find fresh-water salmon in other lakes in the area, only certain lakes.
What's the UCGH say about this phenomena?

Allow me, AirHe...er, Dave.
Millions of dead things
Buried in layers
Deposited by water
All over the Earth

And
THE DARWINIAN SHIP IS SINKING
Explain this quote from the 1947 Li'l Thumper Baptist Encyclopedia by the famous Albanian biologist, Braun Noser :
My whole life has been wasted studying science, when all the answers about Tyre and  super-dooper speciation can be found in the BIBLE

Thus I refute thee!!

**Note:  This has only been a test. Had this been an actual Dave post, the answers would have been even more inane. We now return you to your regular viewing.

--------------

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,07:46   

Quote (Mike PSS @ Oct. 17 2006,11:16)
In the 1980's my father took myself and my brother on a canoe trip of the Bowron Lakes circuit in central B.C.  Geologically parts of the Bowron Lakes were actually the main river channel of what is today the Fraser River.  However, many millions of years ago the river channel changed (and changed course from west-to-east into an east-to-west direction) and stranded some of the Bowron Lakes (and attached lakes draining to them) from fish access to the sea.

We fished some of these lakes and caught fresh-water salmon, still a pinkish-red meat and the shape of Chinnook (I think, could be wrong, Coho maybe?).  The salmon fry had been stranded in the lakes and for millions of years couldn't migrate to the ocean so they adapted to the fresh water lakes they could access.

Kokanee (landlocked Sockeye), I would wager.

And the landlocked populations of salmon species (examples from pretty much all the Pacific species, and in Quebec we have the Atlantic "ouaniche") are the last of Dave's worries. (They're still salmon!;) Salmon populations are pretty much reproductively isolated by their very nature. Straying rates are typically less than 1%. Furthermore, genetics can identify the reproductive isolation of stocks with different run times in the same bloody river (e.g., spring/summer/fall/winter run Chinook). Similarly, there's a great deal of reproductive isolation across year classes. That's what high stream fidelity, high run-time fidelity, and conserved generations will give you.

Which of course raises some serious questions for Dave, the simplest of which is, "So bloody what?!" If there's evidence of a 6,000-year-old creation in salmon evolution, I'd imagine I would have seen it by now. Oh, that's right -- I'm in comfortable oblivion when it comes to salmon/God/Hitler.

I'd also really like to understand what Dave thinks a "salmon" actually is. Here are the current Salmonidae, Dave. Which is/are the kind(s)? Where do we find the reproductively isolated and rapidly evolved populations (like those in the paper you cite) in this figure? How many of those are there, anyway? (Hint: more than a few, more than a few hundred, more than a few thousand -- and NONE of them are "species".)

Did Salmo "microevolve" into Oncorhynchus in the past 6,000 years (keeping in mind that it couldn't possibly have done so in the past 15-20 million years ago as we "evolutionists" think)? And what of Eosalmo, a 50 myo fossil? Where does it fit in? Here's a slide from a talk I prepared a few years ago, directly comparing the salmon phylogeny against that of primates for scale.

[Edit: Image removed]

Dave, you claimed the left side happened easily in 6,000 years, while even the top 10% of the right side could not have happened in millions. What gives?

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,07:54   

HOW MANY "KINDS" WERE ON THE ARK?

(It seems that Eric is about to blow a gasket crunching numbers of species, so I feel the need to prevent that from happening.)

If we just grab an easily accesible list (from Wikipedia) we have ...  

As a soft guide, however, the numbers of currently identified species can be broken down as follows[3]:

287,655 plants, including:
 15,000 mosses,
 13,025 ferns,
 980 gymnosperms,
 199,350 dicotyledons,
 59,300 monocotyledons;
74,000-120,000 fungi[1];
10,000 lichens;
1,250,000 animals, including:
 1,190,200 invertebrates:
   950,000 insects,
   70,000 molluscs,
   40,000 crustaceans,
   130,200 others;
 58,808 vertebrates:
   29,300 fish,
   5,743 amphibians,
   8,240 reptiles,
   9,934 birds,
   5,416 mammals.

However the total number of species for some phyla may be much higher:

5-10 million bacteria[2];
1.5 million fungi[1];

Woodmorappe has written a book studying this question called Noah's Ark: A Feasability Study and the high points of this study (1996) and the previous study in The Genesis Flood (1961) are found here ...
http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/answersbook/arksize13.asp

Mark Isaak has written a rebuttal of Woodmorappe and Morris on Talk Origins, but the rebuttal does not accomplish his purpose of showing the impossibility of the Noah's Ark account. http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark.html

Glenn Morton has also written a rebuttal here. http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/woodmorappe-review.html

I have not read Woodmorappe's book or Glenn Morton's rebuttal yet, but I ordered the Woodmorappe book today, and I plan on reading Morton's rebuttal as well.  I would encourage anyone interested in this topic to do likewise.

The only thing I really know at the moment about this topic is ...

1) Most of the species listed above would not have to be represented on the ark ... Morris & Whitcomb stated only reptiles, birds and mammals needed representation.  If this is true, then the number of modern species represented would be 8240 + 9934 + 5416 =~ 23,000.  Morton and Isaak say that terrestrial invertebrates like snails would have also needed to be included, but offer no proof, so this is debatable.

2) As I am beginning to see from my own research, rapid speciation is inversely correlated with population size and that newly isolated founder populations can speciate quite rapidly.  I have referred to one such study on salmon which diversified into two reproductively isolated species in just 13 generations.  There are more examples at Talk Origins and probably elsewhere.  The conditions after the Flood would have created excellent circumstances for geographic isolation of founder populations ... i.e. land bridges between newly separated continents, followed by cutting off of populations by rising sea levels following the Ice Age.

3) There is some evidence that Noah's cubit could have been much longer than the commonly accepted value of about 18 inches.  The Royal Astronomer for Scotland, who reportedly, with John Herschel, kept Britain off the metric system for many years, writes that Sir Isaac Newton did a rigorous study called Dissertation on Cubits and concluded there was an ancient sacred cubit preserved by the Jews of around 25" (in addition to the 20.68" cubit which is well known).  Contrast this with 18" cubit assumed by most modern Bible scholars who describe the ark.  If this is true, then we have significantly more space in the ark than Woodmorappe proposes.  I have not been able to obtain the Newton paper, but Wikipedia reports various lengths of the cubit through history, some as high as 27 inches. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubit

Let us take some wild guesses and do some math ... after all, this is what scientists do ... they observe evidence, make some wild initial guesses, then test these guesses, then make a formal theory if the intial wild guesses hold up to scrutiny.

IF we take an average generation time of 5 years for animals on the ark, and IF we assume an average of 20 generations to produce a new species, and IF we have 50,000 modern species representing the original kinds on the ark (being generous to Morton and Isaak), where does this leave us if we have 4500 years since the Flood?

Well, let's take Woodmorappe's guess of 16,000 animals on the ark. This probably represents about 7,000? kinds.  Now using "hand grenade math" with the assumptions above, these could theoretically diversify into 14,000 in 5 years, 28,000 in 10 years and 56,000 in 15 years.  Now of course this calculation would only apply if ALL the kinds split into two distinct species every 5 years, and these new species in turn split into two new species, etc.  Obviously this would not happen, but it gives you a feeling for the ease of getting from 7000 distinct kinds to 50,000 distinct species in 4500 years.  Adjust your average generation time to 10 years if you like.  Assume that only 50% of the original kinds speciate into new species if you like.  Assume that many species "terminate" after a certain point and don't speciate any more.  As you can see there is ample room for vast adjustment of the numbers and still have no problem coming up with 50,000 modern species developing in 4500 years from 7000 original kinds on the ark.

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Jeannot wants to know what "genetically rich" means.

ANSWER: Imagine a subset of a population being removed from the parent population and isolated from that parent population.  What will happen?  My understanding is that the smaller group will be more specialized than the parent population because it will not have access to some of the genetic information contained in the original group.  Consider dogs.  All the modern dogs have been domesticated from wild dogs, right?  Now breeders have created many specialized varieties by selecting dogs with desired traits and isolating and breeding them.  Do you think that we could get a Great Dane from a pair of Chihuahuas?  No.  Why?  The chihuahuas don't have the genetic information required to create a Great Dane.  Was there an ancestral pair of dogs (a mutt) that possessed the genetic info for both Great Danes AND Chihuahuas?  Undoubtedly there was.  And this mutt pair would have been more "genetically rich" than either the Great Danes or the Chihuahuas.  This is what I mean by "genetically rich."

Here's an interesting quote that sheds some light on the salt water issue.  Some have asked how sea creatures could survive going from fresh water to salt water.  I don't know, but here's some info on salmon that could shed some light on this ... Salmon apparently have a system for changing their body chemistry to allow them live in fresh water during their youth and breeding times, and salt water during most of their adulthood ...
The smolt body chemistry changes, allowing them to live in salt water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon

PORTUGUESE = SPANISH + FRENCH + OTHER FACTORS

(Posted originally in response to Rilke's Granddaughter who attacked me for making a casual reference to Portuguese being a mixture of Spanish and French)

(Posted again now because Arden Chatfield apparently is still miffed that his arguments were not as good as mine in spite of the fact that he is a linguist. He lost the debate back then and it was actually one of the few debates at ATBC that I have actually had some agreement from other ATBC members. Also note that Arden claims that people would have respected me if I had simply admitted defeat on this topic.  This is ludicrous and is plainly false simply by examining the threads PRIOR TO the Portuguese debate.  This debate itself was precipitated by a blatant ad hominem by Rilke.  It is quite clear why I am not respected by some people here at ATBC ... I am a creationist.  PERIOD.  End of story.  Need more proof?  Look at the thread started by 'skeptic' called 'Reinventing Evolutionary Theory.'  He simply SMELLED like a creationist and he was immediately and continuously ridiculed.)

Arden, my advice to you is to read your own post and follow the advice written there ... admit that YOU were the one who was wrong ... not me.  The truth is that I have quite prominently admitted that I have been wrong about certain details when the evidence is clear ... Chimp chromosomes, a study in the UK, maybe a couple other things.  You, on the other hand, have not admitted you have been wrong about anything that I can remember.

REHASHING THE EVIDENCE
My original quote from Wikipedia ... (sometime in May or June?)

Although the vocabularies of Spanish and Portuguese are quite similar, phonetically Portuguese is somewhat closer to Catalan or to French. It is often claimed that the complex phonology of Portuguese compared to Spanish explains why it is generally not intelligible to Spanish speakers despite the strong lexical similarity between the two languages

April 28, 2006 Version of the "Portuguese" article from Wikipedia ...

On the other hand, Portuguese is phonetically closer to French and Catalan than to Spanish in some respects; such as the occurrence of nasalization, palatalization, diphthongization of low-mid stressed vowels, aspiration of /f/, and devoicing of sibilants — all features that are not shared by Spanish. The same can be said of the basic vocabularies: compare e.g. Portuguese bom ("good") with French or Catalan bon and Spanish bueno; or Portuguese filha with French fille, Catalan filla, and Spanish hija.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w....0655924

Many of you probably know that Wikipedia changes all the time.  One can only guess why these paragraphs are no longer in the current version.  Actually, I guess you could research the question if you really wanted to spend the time.

and...  
Portuguese and Spanish were essentially the same language until about AD 1143, when Portugal broke away from Spanish control. World Book, 1993, "Portuguese Language."
I believe the 2006 version says the same thing.

And the local linguist, Arden Chatfield, said that my claim may be true if you can show significant French influence on Portugal (which I did ... keep reading ... it happened in the 12th century).

If you get a good Medieval History Encyclopedia, you can get all kinds of details about this period in history when Portuguese and Spanish diverged.  What you will see is massive Burgundian (French) influence beginning with the influx of contingents of Burgundian knights in response to Alfonso VI who had a Burgundian wife, then the Burgundian Henry, grandson of Robert I of Burgundy then to Afonso Henriques, son of Henry.  Afonso Henriques captures Lisbon and sets up his capital.  
(Dictionary of the Middle Ages, v. 10, 1988, American Council of Learned Societies) (From the public library, a famous, non-YEC source)

Then if you do some further reading, you find out that standard Portuguese is based on the dialect of Lisbon, according to Encyclopedia Brittanica.  
Portuguese  Português.   Romance language spoken in Portugal, Brazil, and Portuguese colonial and formerly colonial territories. Galician, spoken in northwestern Spain, is a dialect of Portuguese. Written materials in Portuguese date from a property agreement of the late 12th century, and literary works appeared in the 13th and 14th centuries.

Standard Portuguese is based on the dialect of Lisbon. Dialectal variation within the country is not great, but Brazilian Portuguese varies from European Portuguese in several respects, including several sound changes and some differences in verb conjugation and syntax; for example, object pronouns occur before the verb in Brazilian Portuguese, as in Spanish, but after the verb in standard Portuguese. The four major dialect groups of Portuguese are Northern Portuguese, or Galician, Central Portuguese, Southern Portuguese (including the dialect of Lisbon), and Insular Portuguese (including Brazilian and Madeiran). Portuguese is often mutually intelligible with Spanish despite differences in phonology, grammar, and vocabulary.
Portuguese language. (2006). In Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved October 17, 2006, from Encyclopædia Britannica Online: http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9061011

Can you guess that Lisbon probably had greater French influence than anywhere else in Portugal?  Remember?  Afonso Henriques captures Lisbon and sets up his capital.

(Side Note: This was the first major instance of a non-sensical "quote mine" charge, of which now there have been many more, equally non-sensical.  Faid said I quote mined by quoting EB as saying "Standard Portuguese is based on the dialect of Lisbon."  Many hopeful "Creo-snipers" jumped on the bandwagon with Faid.  This is an obviously absurd charge as anyone can see from the full quote above.)

Hmmm ... let's think now ... Spanish and Portuguese are the same language until 1143 ... then a whole bunch of French knights come into western Spain to help out the king who has a French wife.  Another French guy comes into Spain and marries a Spanish wife.  They take over Lisbon and set up the Kingdom of Portugal.  Do you see what's happening?  This is not rocket science folks.   This is kind of like 1+2=3.  See?  Spanish + French = Portuguese. (And some other factors, admittedly)

FRENCH AND PORTUGUESE WORD COMPARISONS
Also, someone asked about word comparisons.  Here you go.  I hope the table comes out OK.

Spanish haber hombre cuerpo noche hijo hecho bueno y
Portug haver homem corpo noite filho feito bom e
French avoir homme corps nuit fils fait bon et

http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t2275-0.htm

Now if you have all three of these languages in your own family (my mother speaks fluent Portuguese and Spanish and my cousin speaks fluent French), you tend to have a little better overview of these languages than the average person.  I can tell you that if you have heard all three languages like I have, the mix is quite obvious.

And if you think and are honest, instead of just shooting your mouth off about how all YECs are stupid idiots, you can see how Wikipedia would make a statement like ...

phonetically Portuguese is somewhat closer to Catalan or to French. (by the way, Catalan was the language of Andorra -- just below France on the map)

OK, Arden.  Now you have a choice.  You can admit that you were wrong ... OR ...

You can do some more weaseling ...  (AGAIN)

Mike PSS--  Kindly repost your latest argument and my latest rebuttal so I will know where we are ... it's been a long time ago.

Deadman-- Your quotes of Michael Denton in Nature's Destiny do nothing to change his expose in Evolution: A Theory in Crisis.  I have already said that he is still an evolutionist in spite of the evidence that he himself has given.  He has not repudiated the evidence.  He merely has no other option but to believe in ToE.  Why?  Because he refuses to accept the truth -- Creationism and the Biblical account.  As I have said many times, scientists really have no other options but ToE or Creationism.  And if they refuse Creationism, then they are left with ToE in spite of the illogical nature of the theory and the required closing of the eyes to the evidence.

So in short, Denton closes his eyes to the hideous spectacle, holds his nose to avoid the stench, and declares "I believe in Evolution!"

Amazing!!

--------------
A DILEMMA FOR THE COMMITTED NATURALIST
A Hi-tech alien spaceship lands on earth ... DESIGNED.
A Hi-tech alien rotary motor found in a cell ... NOT DESIGNED.
http://afdave.wordpress.com/....ess.com

improvius

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,08:11   

Quote (afdave @ Oct. 17 2006,13:54)
FRENCH AND PORTUGUESE WORD COMPARISONS
Also, someone asked about word comparisons.  Here you go.  I hope the table comes out OK.

Spanish haber hombre cuerpo noche hijo hecho bueno y
Portug haver homem corpo noite filho feito bom e
French avoir homme corps nuit fils fait bon et

http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t2275-0.htm

Your childhood misconceptions remain unimpressive.

(From wikipedia)
Ela fecha sempre a janela antes de jantar. (Portuguese)
Ela fecha sempre a fiestra antes de cear. (Galician)
Ella cierra siempre la ventana antes de cenar. (Spanish)
Ella tanca sempre la finestra abans de sopar. (Catalan)
Lei chiude sempre la finestra prima di cenare. (Italian)
Ea închide întodeauna fereastra înainte de a cina. (Romanian)
Elle ferme toujours la fenêtre avant de dîner. (French)
She always shuts the window before dining.

--------------
Quote (afdave @ Oct. 02 2006,18:37)
Many Jews were in comfortable oblivion about Hitler ... until it was too late.
Many scientists will persist in comfortable oblivion about their Creator ... until it is too late.

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,08:14   

2) As I am beginning to see from my own research, rapid speciation is inversely correlated with population size and that newly isolated founder populations can speciate quite rapidly.  I have referred to one such study on salmon which diversified into two reproductively isolated species in just 13 generations.

Er, Dave...did you READ the paper you cited? Because I assure you, the new "species" you are talking about are both, in fact, sockeye salmon (O. nerka). Just a heads up, big guy, but "evidence of reproductive isolation" and "diversified into two reproductively isolated species" are NOT the same thing. If detectable reproductive isolation using fine-scale genetic markers is our benchmark for establishing "species", your ark just got at lot more populous than the picture (in which I count at most a few dozen species, I note).

Furthermore, I notice your calculations have ignored: (1) species we have not described yet (as Eric told you, the estimate is 5-100 million EUKARYOTES); (2) species that have gone extinct since Da Flud. Those are two BIG oversights, Davey.

Oh, and thanks for this:

Morton and Isaak say that terrestrial invertebrates like snails would have also needed to be included, but offer no proof, so this is debatable.

Best laugh I've had all day.

Well, let's take Woodmorappe's guess of 16,000 animals on the ark. This probably represents about 7,000? kinds.  Now using "hand grenade math" with the assumptions above, these could theoretically diversify into 14,000 in 5 years, 28,000 in 10 years and 56,000 in 15 years.  Now of course this calculation would only apply if ALL the kinds split into two distinct species every 5 years, and these new species in turn split into two new species, etc.  Obviously this would not happen, but it gives you a feeling for the ease of getting from 7000 distinct kinds to 50,000 distinct species in 4500 years.  Adjust your average generation time to 10 years if you like.  Assume that only 50% of the original kinds speciate into new species if you like.  Assume that many species "terminate" after a certain point and don't speciate any more.  As you can see there is ample room for vast adjustment of the numbers and still have no problem coming up with 50,000 modern species developing in 4500 years from 7000 original kinds on the ark.

Given your oversights in the number of species needed, not to mention how utterly biologically impossible your scenario actually is (detectable reproductive isolation of some salmon populations = new species every 20 generations?! you're kidding, right?) and that's just for starters...you've left a lot of species that wouldn't survive a flood off the ark, and even of the ones Noah "saved", all the new species we see today would also have to be "microevolved" from their own kind, with no new "information" added), I'd say your hand grenade math just blew up in your own foxhole, Davey.

Here's an interesting quote that sheds some light on the salt water issue.  Some have asked how sea creatures could survive going from fresh water to salt water.  I don't know, but here's some info on salmon that could shed some light on this ... Salmon apparently have a system for changing their body chemistry to allow them live in fresh water during their youth and breeding times, and salt water during most of their adulthood ...

Oh please, please, pretty please with sugar on top, can we talk about how salmon physiology and anadromy makes them equipped to deal with a global flood? That would be so much fun! After all, your contention that fish didn't need to be on the ark depends upon them being just fine in the raging waters, and as you've noted, anadromous species like salmon would probably be the most likely candidates to survive the cataclysm (compared to something like a pupfish, for example). Please do enlighten us on the physiological tolerances (salinity, oxygen, temperature, etc.) of salmon, Davey! I'm all ears!

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,08:18   

Mark Isaak has written a rebuttal of Woodmorappe and Morris on Talk Origins, but the rebuttal does not accomplish his purpose of showing the impossibility of the Noah's Ark account.

Maybe not in your mind, but the fact that the Egyptians lived through your flood date proves it wrong. So..either the bible is flawed in its allowed time frame or the date you adhere to is wrong. Which is it?

The conditions after the Flood would have created excellent circumstances for geographic isolation of founder populations ... i.e. land bridges between newly separated continents, followed by cutting off of populations by rising sea levels following the Ice Age

Except that the energy derived from continents flying apart at the rate you claim..would boil water. This would release steam. This would destroy all life. Even your own silly sources can't deal with that except to evoke miracles.
Speaking of miracles, why can't you respond to Mike PSS? Oh, yeah, that's right, you'd have to evoke yet another miracle.
Some have asked how sea creatures could survive going from fresh water to salt water.  I don't know

No, you don't know, of course not. But you can find out by getting fresh water fish and putting salt in the tank, or putting salt water fish in fresh water. Find out what happens, genius.
As far as your claims on French and Portuguese, you're forgetting that you originally claimed "Portuguese is a mixture of Spanish and French. " No "other factors in your original claim, you added that later. You'll also notice that the same wikipedia article you point to...shows all of 5 cited french loan words.
Sounding alike PHONETICALLY, meaning nasality, aspirations,fricatives, etc. is meaningless in showing that Portuguese is somehow descended from French.  American Indian groups as the Na-Dene languages use all the same "phonetic" aspects as Portuguese...the portuguese were in the americas ...should I conclude that Navajo is a "mix " of Dineh and Portuguese? No, that would be stupid.

--------------

Mike PSS

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,08:20   

Mike PSS--  Kindly repost your latest argument and my latest rebuttal so I will know where we are ... it's been a long time ago.

Dave,
You are precious.  Here's one of my latest posts.

On that post at the top click on the word 'post' and go to an earlier post.  In that post read through and click on 'summary' and 'reply' to other questions you had in the past.

Remember, the summary and reply (and information in the other posts) contain direct refutation of Ardnts and Overn and your claims of mixing (plus some extra special insight into mineral isochrons, and a bonus section introducing physics).

Please reply, or maybe start commenting on Baraminology.

I look forward to your further evasions and repetitive requests to repeat my requests :(

Mike PSS

Ved

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,08:33   

Was not your original argument. Not that "+ other factors" really helps you much...

improvius

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,08:42   

Now if you have all three of these languages in your own family (my mother speaks fluent Portuguese and Spanish and my cousin speaks fluent French), you tend to have a little better overview of these languages than the average person.  I can tell you that if you have heard all three languages like I have, the mix is quite obvious.

This is probably obvious to everyone, but I'll point it out anyway.  THIS is the source of your misconception.  Your limited childhood data consisted of Portuguese, Spanish, French, and English.  Given only those 4 sets of data, it might be reasonable to place Portuguese in between the other two Romance languages.  Of course, if you'd grown up with Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian, you'd probably have done the same thing.  Then this thread would be full of your arguments about how Portuguese = Italian + Spanish, and you'd be scouring the web trying to find examples of Italian influence in medieval Portugal.

--------------
Quote (afdave @ Oct. 02 2006,18:37)
Many Jews were in comfortable oblivion about Hitler ... until it was too late.
Many scientists will persist in comfortable oblivion about their Creator ... until it is too late.

Ved

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,08:50   

See, I remember when "+ other things" came up, because:

I was the one that suggested it to you Dave, albeit stupidly, thinking that you could grasp a simple concept.

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,09:04   

Quote (afdave @ Oct. 17 2006,12:54)
HOW MANY "KINDS" WERE ON THE ARK?

(It seems that Eric is about to blow a gasket crunching numbers of species, so I feel the need to prevent that from happening.)

If we just grab an easily accesible list (from Wikipedia) we have ...    
As a soft guide, however, the numbers of currently identified species can be broken down as follows:

(my emph.) What are you talking about, Dave? I'm not talking about the number of currently-known species, which is where your Wikipedia numbers come from. I'm talking about estimates of total numbers of species. No one is claiming less than 5 million total species (probably exclusive of bacteria, which could total as many as a thousand million species, assuming the term "species" has meaning when applied to bacteria), and some estimates are as high as one hundred million species. A reasonable figure is probably around ten million species.

The only thing I really know at the moment about this topic is ...

1) Most of the species listed above would not have to be represented on the ark ... Morris & Whitcomb stated only reptiles, birds and mammals needed representation.

Based on what, Dave? Insects don't need representation? Where did the insects hang out in the year the planet was underwater? There are 350,000 species of beetles in existence today. Where did they come from? Now you're saying they weren't even on the ark? How about 11,000 or so species of ants? Were they doing the backstroke for a year?

If this is true, then the number of modern species represented would be 8240 + 9934 + 5416 =~ 23,000.  Morton and Isaak say that terrestrial invertebrates like snails would have also needed to be included, but offer no proof, so this is debatable.

Dave, you're laboring under the misapprehension that anything that lives in water wouldn't need to be on the ark. You're wrong. You have two choices: either your "flood"waters were fresh, in which case the oceans would have been virtually sterilized; or the "flood"waters were seawater, in which case all fresh bodies of water would have been virtually sterilized. Either you come with 30,000 species of freshwater fish in less than five millennia, or you come up with an even larger number of saltwater vertebrates and invertebrates (along with all the plant life) in the same time. Either way, it's impossible, which is why your whole flood "hypothesis" is DOA.

2) As I am beginning to see from my own research, rapid speciation is inversely correlated with population size and that newly isolated founder populations can speciate quite rapidly.  I have referred to one such study on salmon which diversified into two reproductively isolated species in just 13 generations.  There are more examples at Talk Origins and probably elsewhere.  The conditions after the Flood would have created excellent circumstances for geographic isolation of founder populations ... i.e. land bridges between newly separated continents, followed by cutting off of populations by rising sea levels following the Ice Age.

Geographic isolation will not get you eight doublings of biodiversity in five thousand years, Dave. You have this weird idea that because smaller populations sizes can diversify more quickly than larger populations, that gets you were you need to be. The kind of increases in biodiversity you need cannot possibly have gone unobserved over the past five thousand years.

3) There is some evidence that Noah's cubit could have been much longer than the commonly accepted value of about 18 inches.  The Royal Astronomer for Scotland, who reportedly, with John Herschel, kept Britain off the metric system for many years, writes that Sir Isaac Newton did a rigorous study called Dissertation on Cubits and concluded there was an ancient sacred cubit preserved by the Jews of around 25" (in addition to the 20.68" cubit which is well known).  Contrast this with 18" cubit assumed by most modern Bible scholars who describe the ark.  If this is true, then we have significantly more space in the ark than Woodmorappe proposes.  I have not been able to obtain the Newton paper, but Wikipedia reports various lengths of the cubit through history, some as high as 27 inches. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubit

Doesn't matter. Noah's ark cannot possibly have been much larger than 300 feet long, which is the longest modern technology can manage. If you want an ark longer than that, you need to resort to the same thing you always need to resort to: miracles.

Let us take some wild guesses and do some math ... after all, this is what scientists do ... they observe evidence, make some wild initial guesses, then test these guesses, then make a formal theory if the intial wild guesses hold up to scrutiny.

IF we take an average generation time of 5 years for animals on the ark, and IF we assume an average of 20 generations to produce a new species, and IF we have 50,000 modern species representing the original kinds on the ark (being generous to Morton and Isaak), where does this leave us if we have 4500 years since the Flood?

Where are you getting 50,000 modern species, Dave? That number is preposterously low. There are almost that many species of freshwater fish! And besides, you do realize that you're talking about evolution rates vastly in excess of anything actually observed anywhere, right? You're talking about speciation happening every five or ten years for 4,500 years, which still only gets you 0.5% of where you need to be!

Dave, your estimates and your assumptions are garbage. You have no justification whatsoever for assuming 7,000 initial "kinds" will get you 50,000 species in fifteen years! That's explosive evolution of a sort never witnessed in the entire history of the world. But even if it were possible, you're nowhere near the numbers of species you need, and again, how do you explain that fact that there's no evidence that biodiversity changed significantly before 4,500 years ago, around 4,500 years ago, or at any time up until the nineteenth century, at which time biodiversity has decreased, not increased.

You're just pulling numbers out of your ass, without the tiniest speck of justification, which even if true wouldn't get you remotely where you need to be. 350,000 species of beetles alone, Dave. Where did they come from?

And you think Dawkins is "speculating."

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Jeannot wants to know what "genetically rich" means.

ANSWER: Imagine a subset of a population being removed from the parent population and isolated from that parent population.  What will happen?  My understanding is that the smaller group will be more specialized than the parent population because it will not have access to some of the genetic information contained in the original group.

Where are you going with this, Dave? The smaller group will have less diversity, less "genetic richness" than the larger group. Simple population genetics, Dave. The smaller group will not have all the alleles for all genes the larger group will. So how does this amount to "genetic richness"?

Your "ark" amounts to a ridiculously tiny "bottleneck" in the genome of every organism in existence at the time. Even if the organisms of the time were more "genetically-rich" that modern organisms (a term I cannot help but point out you have still failed to define), most of that genetic "richness" would have been eliminated by the genetic bottleneck the ark would represent.

This is another of your statements that isn't even wrong.

Consider dogs.  All the modern dogs have been domesticated from wild dogs, right?  Now breeders have created many specialized varieties by selecting dogs with desired traits and isolating and breeding them.  Do you think that we could get a Great Dane from a pair of Chihuahuas?  No.  Why?

Wrong. If you want to get Grate Danes from Chihuahuas, do the same thing originally done to get Great Danes in the first place: breed the largest Chihuahuas together, over and over again, providing the same kind of selection natural selection would provide, only more intense. A few hundred generations, and you'll have Great Danes.

The chihuahuas don't have the genetic information required to create a Great Dane.  Was there an ancestral pair of dogs (a mutt) that possessed the genetic info for both Great Danes AND Chihuahuas?  Undoubtedly there was.  And this mutt pair would have been more "genetically rich" than either the Great Danes or the Chihuahuas.  This is what I mean by "genetically rich."

Dave, this is just stupid. You don't have the slightest understanding of genetics. "Mutts" are no more "genetically rich" than purebreds are. Go back to the drawing board. If by "genetically rich" you mean there's more variability in the population, then the inhabitants of the ark were less "genetically rich" than the populations from which they were culled, by definition. The organisms on the ark were "genetically poor," not "genetically rich."

The smolt body chemistry changes, allowing them to live in salt water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon

Nope. Not in a year, Dave. Take a swimming pool of sea water, fill it with saltwater fish, and now dilute it 30% with fresh water in a day or two. What will happen to the fish? They'll die. Fish cannot "evolve" to be anadromous in a few months.

You know, for someone who claims not to believe in evolution, you sure have faith in organisms' ability to evolve to withstand violently changing environmental changes essentially instantaneously. You seem to believe that organisms can speciate five or six times a century, and saltwater fish can "evolve" to be anadromous in a matter of weeks, if not days. But you don't think you're "speculating."

Right.

(Posted originally in response to Rilke's Granddaughter who attacked me for making a casual reference to Portuguese being a mixture of Spanish and French)

One more time, Dave: you LOST this debate. You didn't provide a single piece of linguistic evidence to support a linguistic claim. You provided a bunch of utterly irrelevant historical data that have nothing whatsoever to do with your claim, and provided not a single cite to a single linguistics authority anywhere in this history of the discipline to back you up. The fact is, Dave, Portuguese is not a mixture of French and Spanish plus other factors. It's no more a mixture of French and Spanish than it is a mixture of Italian and Romanian.

(Posted again now because Arden Chatfield apparently is still miffed that his arguments were not as good as mine in spite of the fact that he is a linguist.

Dave, you didn't even have an argument! Where's your linguistic argument? You don't have one. You have a rag-tag collection of historical trivia that in their totality do absolutely nothing to support your claim! I really can't make it any clearer than that.

He lost the debate back then and it was actually one of the few debates at ATBC that I have actually had some agreement from other ATBC members.

And who might that be, Dave? Who agrees with you that you "won" this debate? Name names. I do not think you can provide the name of a single person here, poster or lurker, who believes you "won" your Portuguese debate. Has it escaped your notice that the whole debacle has generated a new figure of speech? Someone has a "Portuguese moment" when he or she makes a stupid and foolhardy claim which is immediately refuted by multiple other sources, but he or she cannot back down from the claim because he or she cannot admit error.

That's what a "Portuguese moment" is, Dave.

Also note that Arden claims that people would have respected me if I had simply admitted defeat on this topic.  This is ludicrous and is plainly false simply by examining the threads PRIOR TO the Portuguese debate.  This debate itself was precipitated by a blatant ad hominem by Rilke.  It is quite clear why I am not respected by some people here at ATBC ... I am a creationist.  PERIOD.  End of story.  Need more proof?  Look at the thread started by 'skeptic' called 'Reinventing Evolutionary Theory.'  He simply SMELLED like a creationist and he was immediately and continuously ridiculed.)

Dave, you're not disrespected because you're a creationist. You're disrespected because of your blatant dishonesty. When you continue to claim you "won" your debate with Rilke in the face of overwhelming evidence that, Black-Knight-style, you were obliterated in the argument, you naturally became the object of scorn. But your "Portuguese moment" was hardly the first example of your blatant dishonesty. That probably would have been when you claimed you were capable of being persuaded that your "hypothesis" is wrong. That became obvious within the first couple of days of this thread.

Arden, my advice to you is to read your own post and follow the advice written there ... admit that YOU were the one who was wrong ... not me.  The truth is that I have quite prominently admitted that I have been wrong about certain details when the evidence is clear ... Chimp chromosomes, a study in the UK, maybe a couple other things.  You, on the other hand, have not admitted you have been wrong about anything that I can remember.

Wow. Fascinating. Dave simply cannot admit he was wrong about this thing. He honestly thinks Arden (and the entire linguistic community) is wrong when he (and they) claim that Portuguese is not simply a mixture of French and Spanish (and other, unnamed factors).

Dave, if you want to win this argument, it's really quite simple: All you need to do is find a paper by a recognized linguistic authority which states that Portuguese is a "mixture" of French and Spanish (and other factors). If you can do that, then you win. Since you cannot do that, you lose. And everyone here (I think even including you) knows you lose.

--------------

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,09:05   

Your quotes of Michael Denton in Nature's Destiny do nothing to change his expose in Evolution: A Theory in Crisis.  I have already said that he is still an evolutionist in spite of the evidence that he himself has given.  He has not repudiated the evidence

By reversing his claims on transitionals and saltation, this repudiates the only meaningful aspects of his previous position. Or can you name something significant he has NOT retracted and repudiated in his own previous claims?
Remember, you said Denton just devastated evolutionary theory with his first book....so...what part of it did he NOT repudiate on his own, having found out better? Show me how what is LEFT..devastates anything?

I don't believe "wikipedia" is the best source for information on all things. but I will note that it says this in the article you cite:
Almost 90% of the Portuguese vocabulary is derived from Latin
These are the FIVE whole french loan words cited that exist in Portuguese:
French: crochet ¡ú colchete ("crochet"), paletot ¡ú palet¨® ("jacket"), baton ¡ú batom ("lipstick"), filet ¡ú fil¨¦
("steak"), mayonnaise ¡ú maionese
You'll notice that the african/amerindian-derived loanword list is longer

Remember again, that you claimed that PORTUGUESE WAS A MIXTURE OF FRENCH AND SPANISH.
Remember that PHONETICS has nothing to do with the ORIGINS of Portuguese

--------------

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,09:14   

Oh, and yeah, this is the least of your worries, Dave, but your math is very wrong. It certainly does not at all follow from your stated assumptions:

1. average generation time of 5 years
2. average "speciation" time 20 generations

= speciation every 100 years (not 5)

So...we go from 7,000 to 14,000 kinds in 100 years (not 5), 14,000 to 28,000 in 200 years (not 10), and 28,000 to 56,000 in 300 years (not 15).

Duh.

Ved

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,09:21   

One more time Dave.

You don't get to use "+other factors" in your argument.

You never mentioned "other factors" until many days into the incident when I tried to point out that it's stupid and difficult to argue that "[something] is [something]" (implying nothing else).

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,09:29   

Gee, Dave, so far the number of people who think you won your "Portuguese moment" is a very conspicuous zero, while the number of people who think you lost it is equal to the number of people who even mentioned it.

Still think you "won" the argument? Of course you do. But that's because you're delusional.

--------------

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,09:29   

Ved-- You are making a big deal of peripheral issues.  Why?  Because you cannot refute the central issue.  I simply conceded to add "and other factors" because that is in fact true and helps my generalization be more accurate.  My line of reasoning is sound, well supported, and well documented.  Those who do not see it are simply blind--unwilling to admit defeat on anything.

Cory...
Did Salmo "microevolve" into Oncorhynchus in the past 6,000 years?
I cannot tell you what DID happen with Salmo.  I am honest.  I can only show you evidence of things that ARE HAPPENING today or have been documented to have happened in recent history.  Your own Talk Origins leads me to believe that organisms can speciate quite rapidly (<50 years, actually<<50 years in some organisms) under the conditions that I have proposed in my theory.

Deadman ... what makes you think the Egyptians lived prior to 2350 BC?  More of your speculation?  Putting the overlapping chronologies end to end?  Ignoring the facts that the Egyptians ...

1) had no era from which to date events
2) did not distinguish between sole reigns and joint reigns of father and son
3) never gave the duration of a dynasty, and
4) did not designate contemporary dynasties

...possibly??

I am told that Rawlinson put the beginning of Egypt aafter 2350 BC.  Why do you disagree with such an eminent figure?

Keep in mind also that Chinese historical records only go back to 2205 BC ...  
The Xia Dynasty (Chinese: Ïij¯; Pinyin: xi¨¤ ch¨¢o; Wade-Giles: hsia-ch'ao), ca. 2205 BC¨C1766 BC, is the first dynasty to be described in Chinese historical records, which record the names of seventeen kings over fourteen generations. However, the Xia Dynasty is considered as legendary because of a lack of evidence. The legendary Three August Ones and Five Emperors are said to have preceded this dynasty, which was followed by the Shang Dynasty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xia_Dynasty
There is some uncertainty here, but it sure sounds like it helps MY position more than it helps yours.

Also, remember that my Creation Theory is not harmed in the least by pushing Creation back as far as 8,000 BC with adjustments also being made to the Flood date.  

You have never seemed to grasp this.

Eric--  Try reading my post again to see where the 50,000 species comes from.  Bonus: see if you can determine which types of species are included in this figure (Hint: it's not anywhere near all)

--------------

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,09:39   

Cory...
Dave, you claimed the left side happened easily in 6,000 years, while even the top 10% of the right side could not have happened in millions. What gives?
The top right could not happen in millions or even billions because they are separate "baramins."  The left side could have happened in 6000 years because they were likely in the same "baramin."  It appears that God endowed each uniquely created "baramin" with great potential for variability and that this could happen quite rapidly under certain conditions (such as after the Flood).  But there appear to be inviolable boundaries which cannot be crossed no matter how much time is available.

--------------

4989 replies since Sep. 22 2006,12:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (167) < ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]