RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (202) < ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... >   
  Topic: AF Dave's UPDATED Creator God Hypothesis, Creation/Evolution Debate< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
normdoering

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,13:51   

Quote (Ved @ May 22 2006,18:36)
Quote (paley @ ,)
Autonomous human reasoning is worthless as a tool to come to any conclusions about anything.

Ehhhhhhhhh, whatta you know?  :p  :p  :p

Of course human reasoning is worthless, I mean just look where it has got us, typing on keyboards to send  messages instantly across the globe to put down human reasoning and threaten people with our atomic bombs. Flying planes into skyscrapers and creating global warming and melting our ice caps. He's got a point, something about the human mind is pretty futile and pointless.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,14:11   

Quote (stevestory @ May 22 2006,18:50)
Autonomous human reasoning is worthless as a tool to come to any conclusions about anything.

dang.

Yeah, I guess this means Paley consults his Bible first before he figures out whether his car needs an oil change.

Let's hope his faith healer keeps him healthy.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,05:55   

Hello Everyone--

Today we will begin focusing exclusively on this thread.  This has been my intent all along, but there were some interesting side issues that needed separate treatment.

I would like to say thanks to all of you for your input on my "Creator God Hypothesis" so far.  I have updated it and re-posted it on my own personal blog site.  It may undergo some more revisions as we move along here, so check over there periodically for the latest version.  My blog is <a href="airdave.blogspot.com" target="_blank">here</a>.

Many of you have given me some interesting dialog.  What has been the most interesting experience to me so far is the solidity of the case for a theistic worldview.  I truly expected to hear some rock solid arguments against theism, but what I found were mostly vacuous arguments, such as "your evidence is not evidence" and "it looks designed but it isn't" and "well, we may have cosmic fine tuning for this universe, but what about other possible ones?" etc. etc.  Also, I have found that many evolutionary biologists really don't have much to say about theism at all--I guess they have never given it much thought--and so they often just resort to name calling and goofy remarks.

I did get some pretty good dialog on the Ape/Human questions and we did turn up an error that AIG had made.  This dialog was also valuable to me because it confirmed for me the huge differences that exist between apes and humans and showed me that while there are some obvious similarities, there is no solid case for common ancestry.

We will now continue presenting the points of the Creator God Hypothesis and  showing the fallacies of macroevolutionary theory along the way.  Referring to my outline on my blog site, we are beginning Step 2 and Point B.  

Again, Step 1 and 2 are as follows ...
(1) Observe nature and draw inferences: In particular, we observe Biological Machines, Cosmic Fine Tuning, the Laws of Relativity and the Universal Moral Code. This only gets us so far, i.e. we conclude that there is a Super-Intelligent Engineer, who possibly lives outside of space and time, and who might be the originator of this stange, universal "moral code" which we observe. So we hold these thoughts and move through the rest of the process.

(2) If we accept (1), then we can make some predictions, one of which would be: "This Intelligent Designer probably can communicate to humans." How? We don't know, but there certainly are a lot of competing claims out there -- many "prophets" and "holy books" claiming to be speaking for God or Allah or whoever. Could any one of them stand up to scrutiny? So we compare some "holy books" and investigate the claims. We focus in particular on the Christian Bible. Why would we waste our time on this? Well ... several good reasons. We have reason to believe that the Christian Bible is unique among "religious books" for some pretty big reasons. Former agnostic Josh McDowell gets into this in "Evidence that Demands a Verdict."

And Points A and B of my Hypothesis are ...
A. There is a God -- My hypothesis proposes that there is a Super Intelligent, Incredibly Powerful Being -- I choose to call him God -- who has knowledge of scientific laws far more advanced than anything ever discovered by 21st Century humans. These scientific laws are so powerful that this Being can literally "speak" material things into existence and destroy things with a simple command. This Being lives "outside of time" and can view what we call "the future" and "the past" with equal ease.

B. This God created the Cosmos as a specially designed whole, with life and mankind as its fundamental goal and purpose. This God created mankind with a choice of either doing his will or not doing his will, in a similar way as parents "create" babies knowing full well that their child will either do their will or not do their will. Christian Theologians commonly call the choice of NOT doing God's will "sin."

We will not get into the details of the comparison of 'religious books' discussed in Step 2 above in this particular study.  There are numerous books on this topic and I trust that you all can get those and read them for yourselves.  It should be obvious that the Christian Bible is unique among books--I have found that most of you are quite familiar with it--and we are justified in spending the time to consider some of its claims, which I think you all are wanting me to do anyway, judging from the numerous questions about the Flood, the Age of the Earth, Cain's wife, etc.

We do need to cover off Point B of my Hypothesis so our next topic will be "The Anthropic Principle" in which we will look at some objections to Michael Denton's claims in his book, "Nature's Destiny."   We have already covered the issue of Choice and how this necessitates the concept of 'Evil.'  This will complete our discussion of Point B in my Hypothesis.

Following this, we will begin looking at specific claims of the Bible, with the first being the Age of the Earth.  We will follow this with a lengthy discussion of evidence for the Global Flood of Noah, followed by other Biblical claims such as the Changing of the Languages, and a discussion of Biblical 'kinds.'  We will also examine the Documentary Hypothesis and discuss the 'Tablet Theory' of Genesis authorship and discuss the origin of the 7 day week (Yes, Faid, I know you think you answered this already, but you don't know my arguments yet).  Our goal is to provide solid evidence for the truth of Genesis 1-11.  

I may have more time to dive into this later today, but if not, see you in the morning!  Again ... hop on over to my blog site and review my outline so you are well prepared to refute me!

(If anyone wants to try to 'prove' Evolution to me or talk more about Apes and Humans, please do so here as I will be focusing on this thread only now)

--------------
A DILEMMA FOR THE COMMITTED NATURALIST
A Hi-tech alien spaceship lands on earth ... DESIGNED.
A Hi-tech alien rotary motor found in a cell ... NOT DESIGNED.
http://afdave.wordpress.com/....ess.com

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,06:02   

Following this, we will begin looking at specific claims of the Bible, with the first being the Age of the Earth.  We will follow this with a lengthy discussion of evidence for the Global Flood of Noah, followed by other Biblical claims such as the Changing of the Languages, and a discussion of Biblical 'kinds.'  We will also examine the Documentary Hypothesis and discuss the 'Tablet Theory' of Genesis authorship and discuss the origin of the 7 day week (Yes, Faid, I know you think you answered this already, but you don't know my arguments yet).  Our goal is to provide solid evidence for the truth of Genesis 1-11.  

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

god it hurts to laugh so hard.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

whew

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Ohh man,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Davey, I'm glad we're going to start with the age of the earth. I predict that we will end with it too.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Why don't we skip gradeschool and go straight to grad school again: Explain radioactive halflife davey. How is it consistent with a young earth?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,06:11   

AFDave tries valiantly to steer discussion away from the reality-based realm about which he knows nothing, and to steer it toward YEC talking points and low-rent Fundamentalist Protestant apologetics. He still wants to bring us all to Jesus. He wants to brag to his pastor that he single-handedly 'converted' a bunch of wicked secular humanist evolutionists with his knowledge and devastating rhetorical skills. Noah's Flood and the Tower of Babel make total scientific sense, and he wants to share this knowledge with us, of course in a very objective way. He knows that if he has to tell a few lies to do this, Jesus will of course understand.

He also wants to start with a clean slate. He hopes we'll all forget all the questions he's ignored and all the times we've pointed out how nonsensical his statements are. This is fine. Jesus is more important than all those things. In the bigger sense, anything a Christian says is 'more right' than anything a nonchristian says.

I think it's time to start ignoring this guy, personally. This shit is getting old.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,06:30   

Laugh all you will. One day, you're going to log in, and what are you going to see? Ghost will have posted a geocentric model of the heavens which explains everything, including Foucault's Pendulum...AFDave will have a thorough analysis of the GULO sequences for all major phyla which makes any similarities indeed appear coincidental...Paley will bring forth a model of nodes and connections and graph theory analysis which shows, to the trained eye, that heterosexual marriages are not only hubs on a scale free network, but that introducing homosexual hubs induces mathematical instability...and thordaddy will present the legal arguments why, it turns out after all, allowing homosexual marriage actually illegalizes heterosexual marriage.

Then won't you have egg on your face.

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,06:35   

There was a lieutenant named Dave,
Whose faith made him foolishly brave.
Though he thought he was bright,
His brains were a fright.
His ignorance made him a knave.

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,06:35   

AFDave will also have a thorough treatment of the linguistic similarities of Portuguese and French. -it's like they even look like they came from the same language, see? I was right.

And he will show why plate tectonics didn't happen. It just looks that way.

and, owww! jesus, you'll never guess where that flying monkey came from!

--------------

The Daily Wingnut

PuckSR

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,06:38   

Ok I missed the discussion over the weekend....
but i dont feel like I missed much....

AFDave is still trying to lecture...and not engaging in any form of intercourse....

He does hint at a truth, but completely missed the boat
Also, I have found that many evolutionary biologists really don't have much to say about theism at all--I guess they have never given it much thought

Now Dave is trying to make some implication that Evolutionary Biologists cannot be theists....but he does highlight an interesting point.
Many times these "discussions" turn into a Science vs. Theology debate.  Im not talking about Dave's Theology vs Science....many people on this forum are well-versed in the scientific realm.  Very few people on this forum are well-versed in the theological realm.  It makes for some of the most pointless discussions ever.

Now, Dave honestly doesnt care either way.
I could post a theological rebuttal of his position or a scientific rebuttal.  Dave is going to plow ahead.  I doubt he even cares if anyone listens to him.
Dave, your dishonest approach to intellectual discourse is embarassing.  I feel sorry for the religious denomination that claims you as a member.

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,06:41   

Dave, I thought I had better cross post this, in case you forgot that you embarrassed yourself over your loss on the whole Portuguese thing.  After all, we know you've got some memory and honesty problems.

Oh, goodie!  2nd Lt. Dave is back to provide amusement, entertainment, and a source of fun.

2nd Lt. Dave, shall we look at your statements again?  Sure we should.

2nd Lt. Dave said  
Portuguese (which of course is Spanish and French mixed).

This is, of course, utter nonsense.  By citing various sources (available on the internet so that 2nd Lt. Dave and the lurkers could check them for accuracy) we demonstrated this.

2nd Lt. Dave, embarrassed by his stupid remark, tried to change it to  
Spanish and Portuguese were essentially the same language until 1143 AD when Portugal broke away from Spanish control under a French nobleman by the name of Henry of Burgundy.  From this point on, the languages diverged into the modern situation.  The primary influence on the linguistic divergence was the French language.

Now this is even funnier, since it's easy to demonstrate (and we did, using easily available sources that 2nd Lt. Dave should have had easy access to) that this entire statement is a lie.  Henry was already dead; French was not the primary linguistic influence on the divergence, etc.

2nd Lt. Dave - continuing his usual unChristian behavior, then started bloviating, ranting, raving, and behaving like the four-year old that we have seen him to be.

He then tried to demonstrate that he was right (even though he was completely wrong) by offering the following wacko piece of nonsense:

1) Lots of French guys were present in Portugal around 1143.

2) French and Catalan had some influence on the phonetics of Portuguese.

3) 2nd Lt. Dave thinks the languages sound alike.

We pointed out (swiftly and accurately) that this did nothing to prove 2nd Lt. Dave's claim about the admixture of French and Spanish: the presence of a group of noblemen in a given area does not correlate to a linguistic change (and since French as we know it didn't exist then, 2nd Lt. Dave's original statement is still fewmets); in order for Portuguese to be French and Spanish mixed, 2nd Lt. Dave would have had to show that Spanish and French elements were both present (which his claim above does NOT show); and that 2nd Lt. Dave's personal opinion is worth as much as water-logged TP).

We also predicted that 2nd Lt. Dave's ego would be unable to bear the fact that he had shown himself to be

* ignorant
* stupid
* unChristian

I am happy to state that we have been proved correct on every point.  I am particularly interested in 2nd. Lt. Dave's extremely unChristian, immoral, dishonest, and deceitful behavior.  Puzzling, but explainable when we realize that YECs are not, after all Christians.

It has been a pleasure making you look like an idiot, 2nd. Lt. Dave, but I admit it was all too easy.  Is this the reason you never got to be even a full lieutenant?  General idiocy?

But I salute you sir, for your determination to be a public moron!  Power to you!

Stick up for your God-given right to be a moron!  You earned it, 2nd Lt. Dave!

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,07:04   

Young Dave was a second lieutenant,
With "ignorance" stitched on his pennant.
He made people laugh,
'For his posts were all daft;
his embarassment always immanent.

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,07:08   

Rilke-- I'm past Portuguese now ... got anything to defend Evolution?  Maybe some new great discovery that will finally make the lightbulb come on for me?

--------------

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,07:15   

First you need to get through tectonics. Then we can start with evolution.

--------------

The Daily Wingnut

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,07:20   

Quote (BWE @ May 23 2006,12:15)
First you need to get through tectonics. Then we can start with evolution.

I haven't been paying attention, has AFD explicitly rejected plate tectonics?

--------------

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,07:30   

Well, 6000 years. He is certainly rejecting it at some level.

--------------

The Daily Wingnut

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,07:31   

oh goody so you concede on the portuguese = french + Spanish

Thankyou half a Dave

Glad you saw the light

It must be a great relief to you to admit your were wrong

Now why did you delete one of your threads?

What comment caused a tear in your little cosmic bubble D/2?

You can tell me .....no ones listening...I promise I won't tell a soul.

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,07:44   

He assuredly did not concede on the Portuguese issue. He said he's "past that" now. Like he won the argument and he's moving on to new conquests.

--------------

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,07:50   

Plate techtonics huh?

ha slam dunk

Pangea D/2 look it up

From Pangea to the Present

You do drive car don't you d/2 ?

How were fossil fuels made D/2

Fossil Fuels - Coal, Oil and Natural Gas

Do you even know what a fossil is D/2

twit.

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,07:52   

Well Arden I think he conceded he has said it is past because he lost big time.

Isn't that right D/2 ?

--------------

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,07:57   

Thinking of cuising on the Panama Canal in 50Million years D/2 ?
Better be quick it won't be there then.
The Atlantic Ocean will be much larger 50 million years from now

--------------

Ved

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,08:06   

Don't ask Dave about fossil fuels. He knows that because coal can be made in a relatively short amount of time, that all of it had to have been formed that way.

Hey, we make diamonds in factories all the time. All the ones we dig out of the ground must have been formed in a short amount of time too.

:(

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,08:10   

Quote (k.e @ May 23 2006,12:57)
Thinking of cuising on the Panama Canal in 50Million years D/2 ?
Better be quick it won't be there then.
The Atlantic Ocean will be much larger 50 million years from now

India will probably also be much smaller since it will have had another 50 million years to keep crashing into Asia.

The idea of 'New Himalayas' in southern Europe is pretty cool.

--------------

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,08:17   

Not so quick Ved. Oil is trapped in faults under the earths crust and the process happens over millions of years nothing D/2 can say can change that fact. Besides practically all of the fossil fuels source material was on the surface of the earth or the surface of the sea floor long before the dinosaurs arrived. Explain that in what ? The time in between the man made cave paintings around the world between 50 and 20 thousand years ago and now?

nah D/2 is p1ss!ng in the wind.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,08:19   

Quote (Ved @ May 23 2006,13:06)
Don't ask Dave about fossil fuels. He knows that because coal can be made in a relatively short amount of time, that all of it had to have been formed that way.

Hey, we make diamonds in factories all the time. All the ones we dig out of the ground must have been formed in a short amount of time too.

:(

Very good, Grasshopper. Truly you have mastered thinking like a IDC expert.

Now for your next lesson, go off into the wilderness and concentrate until you have fully assimilated the following logic:

1) there are things science cannot explain.

2) therefore science cannot explain anything.

3) therefore, Creationism must be true.

--------------

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,08:33   

Quote (afdave @ May 23 2006,10:55)
Many of you have given me some interesting dialog.  What has been the most interesting experience to me so far is the solidity of the case for a theistic worldview. I truly expected to hear some rock solid arguments against theism, but what I found were mostly vacuous arguments, such as "your evidence is not evidence" and "it looks designed but it isn't" and "well, we may have cosmic fine tuning for this universe, but what about other possible ones?" etc. etc.

Dave, Dave, Dave.

If you came here for "rock solid arguments against theism," you totally came to the wrong place. You should go to an atheist website. There's nothing about the theory of evolution that excludes the existence of God. For all anyone knows, God laid down the laws of physics, and sat back to watch what happened. What happened was the slow evolution of life from its earliest beginnings in non-living matter (covered by theories of abiogenesis) through the incredible diversity of life we currently see (the Theory of Evolution).

The evidence we have provided you, through argument and reference to primary and secondary sources, is conclusive. Only a deluded fool (and I hate to sound condescending, Dave, but that really does describe you) could possible think otherwise. Shit (I was going to say "he11," but it didn't get past the DMV), half the ID community accepts common descent with modification. Guys like Behe accept 99% of the Theory of Evolution but their religious beliefs won't let them take that last teeny tiny baby step.

But at least guys like Behe accept the notion that the earth isn't a few hundred years older than the pyramids.

what I found were mostly vacuous arguments, such as "your evidence is not evidence"

Well, Dave, you haven't actually supplied any evidence. I know you're puzzled when we say that, but it's nevertheless true. You have not cited a single piece of evidence. Oh, you've made arguments ("It looks designed because it was designed," "The universe is fine-tuned for life"), but arguments aren't evidence. They just aren't. You've had this explained to you over and over, and by this point it's clear you're incapable (or unwilling) to make the distinction.

Also, I have found that many evolutionary biologists really don't have much to say about theism at all--I guess they have never given it much thought--and so they often just resort to name calling and goofy remarks.

Think about what you just said, Dave, and then re-read what I said in my first paragraph here. Theism is a religious concept, which is outside science's purview. Biologists don't think much about theism for the same reason they don't think much about aesthetics or music theory or stamp collecting. Do engineers think much about the implications wine tasting has for circuit design?

I did get some pretty good dialog on the Ape/Human questions and we did turn up an error that AIG had made.  This dialog was also valuable to me because it confirmed for me the huge differences that exist between apes and humans and showed me that while there are some obvious similarities, there is no solid case for common ancestry.

This is where it's clear how delusional you really are, Dave. The case for chromosomal fusion is iron-clad, and it's conclusive evidence for a common ancestry for humans and chimps. It's only one piece of evidence, and yet it's probably enough for any open-minded person. The case for the broken GULO gene indicating common ancestry is just as strong. You don't see it that way because you either refuse to understand or are incapable of understanding what the evidence even is.

That you still persist in your beliefs that humans have always been humans and chimps have always been chimps is evidence of nothing so much as your own blockheadedness.

So, given your abject failure even to understand the biochemical evidence for a common ancestry of humans and chimps, let alone actually attempt to refute it, I guess we should turn to what should be a somewhat simpler topic for you. First you need to a) understand the evidence for an earth billions of years old, and then b) try to explain why that evidence does not mean what the entire scientific community thinks it means. Given your hapless flailing about in the fields of genetics and biochemistry, I don't have high hopes for your understanding of nuclear and quantum physics, but as always I'll be willing to listen.

But if there's one thing you've accomplished here, Dave, it's giving us some insight into the mind of a young-earth creationist. It's been fascinating to see how someone can be at the same time seemingly intelligent and well-spoken, and yet be able to maintain a simply astonishing opacity of mind. A "deliberate opacity of mind," I believe it's called.

So while you may not be learning much about science here, Dave, we're learning quite a bit about human nature. Anyone who thinks that all humans are naturally rational beings need merely spend some time here to be persuaded otherwise.

--------------
2006 MVD award for most dogged defense of scientific sanity

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

improvius

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,08:35   

Quote (afdave @ May 23 2006,12:08)
Maybe some new great discovery that will finally make the lightbulb come on for me?

I...

You know, this one's just too easy.  Even I have standards.

--------------
Quote (afdave @ Oct. 02 2006,18:37)
Many Jews were in comfortable oblivion about Hitler ... until it was too late.
Many scientists will persist in comfortable oblivion about their Creator ... until it is too late.

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,08:40   

THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE
I predict that Michael Denton will probably go down in history as one of the most influential scientists of the 20th Century.  Henry Morris may actually claim the leading title for his leadership of the modern Creationist revival, but there is no doubt that men like Michael Denton, Michael Behe and William Dembski will be names long remembered once the rotting corpse of Darwin's General Theory of Evolution is buried and forgotten.

And so we take one more look at one of my favorite books, "Nature's Destiny" by Michael Denton and discuss briefly, the Anthropic Principle.  From the fly-leaf of the book ...

In Nature's Destiny, Michael Denton marshals a stunning range of biological, chemical, and physical evidence to answer systematically a simple question:  Could life elsewhere in the universe be significantly different from life on earth?  Must it rely on carbon, water, DNA, amino acids, and proteins?  COuld there be an alternative to DNA, or could DNA be constructed out of different components?  Could cells be designed differently?  From these building blocks he dares to ask the boldest questions:  Is it possible there are life forms radically different from those realized during the course of evolution on Earth?  And even:  Is a Homo sapiens--like creature the only possible highly intelligent species, given the laws of biology that exist throughout the universe?

The stunning answer to this last question is yes.  Life is highly constrained by the laws of nature.  If, for example, the ratio between strong and weak chemical bonds had not been what it is, if the thermal properties of water were not precisely what they are, if the atmosphere of the Earth had not had just the right properties to filter out harmful radiation, then a flourishing biosphere such as exists on Earth would be impossible.  For like to develop beyond the most primitive stage hinted at by the famous Mars fossils requires an earthlike planet, with earthlike atmosphere and oceans.

Over the past twenty years, such physicists as Freeman Dyson, Fred Hoyle, Martin Rees and Paul Davies have argued that the universe is fine-tuned for carbon-based life.  Now, Michael Denton extends their argument all the way from the carbon atom to advanced and complex life forms closely resembling ourselves, showing that our biosphere is central to nature's destiny.  Though we may have six-fingered cousins elsewhere, the laws of nature are tuned to reach an endpoint in mankind.

Denton goes on to make an excellent case for his claims and concludes with this ...

All the evidence available in the biological sciences supports the core proposition of traditional natural theology--that the cosmos is a specially designed whole with life and mankind as its fundamental goal and purpose, a whole in which all facets of reality, from the size of galaxies to the thermal capacity of water, have their meaning and explanation in this central fact ... As I hope the evidence presented in this book has shown, science, which has been for centuries the great ally of atheism and skepticism, has become at last, in these final days of the second millenium, what Newton and many of its early advocates had so fervently wished--the "defender of the anthropocentric faith.

Now for some objections from our good friends at Talk Origins ...

The claim assumes life in its present form is a given; it applies not to life but to life only as we know it. The same outcome results if life is fine-tuned to the cosmos.
Yes.  Life in its present form IS a given.  (This author is bright!;)  No.  You cannot fine tune life, then build a cosmos.  Sorry, doesn't work that way.  You know ... gotta do site prep then build the foundation before you build the house.  See? (Wow, these are convincing rebuttals, guys.  I can see why you got taken in!;)

We do not know what fundamental conditions would rule out any possibility of any life. For all we know, there might be intelligent beings in another universe arguing that if fundamental constants were only slightly different, then the absence of free quarks and the extreme weakness of gravity would make life impossible.
Oh yeah, sure.  The old "alternate universe" theory.  I know of an alternate universe in Alice and Wonderland.

Indeed, many examples of fine-tuning are evidence that life is fine-tuned to the cosmos, not vice versa. This is exactly what evolution proposes.
This author couldn't think of a new rebuttal, so he re-used the second half of the first one.

If the universe is fine-tuned for life, why is life such an extremely rare part of it?
 Good question.  Worth investigating.  But that doesn't argue against the fact that it is indeed fine tuned for life.  Try reading the Bible for clues to WHY it is here and no place else.

Many fine-tuning claims are based on numbers being the "same order of magnitude," but this phrase gets stretched beyond its original meaning to buttress design arguments; sometimes numbers more than one-thousandfold different are called the same order of magnitude (Klee 2002).
Gimme a break.  Elsewhere on the Talk Origins site, the authors had ample opportunity to refute Cosmic Fine Tuning and they did not.  Why not?  Because they could not.  You can see this Here.

How fine is "fine" anyway? That question can only be answered by a human judgment call, which reduces or removes objective value from the anthropic principle argument.
 No, it is very objective.  Sorry.  It's very well defined.  Read Dyson, Hoyle, Rees, Davies and Denton.

The fine-tuning claim is weakened by the fact that some physical constants are dependent on others, so the anthropic principle may rest on only a very few initial conditions that are really fundamental (Kane et al. 2000). It is further weakened by the fact that different initial conditions sometimes lead to essentially the same outcomes, as with the initial mass of stars and their formation of heavy metals (Nakamura et al. 1997), or that the tuning may not be very fine, as with the resonance window for helium fusion within the sun (Livio et al. 1989). For all we know, a universe substantially different from ours may be improbable or even impossible.
 Maybe so, but are you telling me that this weakening is a big deal when you are talking about some 70 different parameters that have to be right for life to exist?  Come on.

If part of the universe were not suitable for life, we would not be here to think about it. There is nothing to rule out the possibility of multiple universes, most of which would be unsuitable for life. We happen to find ourselves in one where life is conveniently possible because we cannot very well be anywhere else.
Oh boy.  The brain damage is bad.  Call the neuro-surgeon!  Wow.  That is a brilliant statement: "If part of the universe were not suitable for life, we would not be here to think about it."  I think there's an echo.  Isn't that what we've been saying?  I thought I just got through saying  this very thing ... "If part of the universe were not suitable for life, we would not be here to think about it."  How exactly is this a rebuttal of my argument?  Oh, and of course the multiple universe thing again, which Faid told me had been dropped, but here it is again.

Intelligent design is not a logical conclusion of fine tuning. Fine tuning says nothing about motives or methods, which is how design is defined. (The scarcity of life and multi-billion-year delay in it appearing argue against life being a motive.) Fine-tuning, if it exists, may result from other causes, as yet unknown, or for no reason at all (Drange 2000).
Well, it is a logical conclusion in OUR universe.  But I understand ... you guys are in a different one.  Sure, there could be other causes. Like chance for example, with a probability of 1 in 50 gazillion googolplex.

In fact, the anthropic principle is an argument against an omnipotent creator. If God can do anything, he could create life in a universe whose conditions do not allow for it.
OK. So the anthropic principle might argue against an omnipotent creator if you are in one of those alternate universes, but again, in this universe, it argues FOR one.  Fine.  Postulate a God anyway you like.  But the fact is humans are here and the universe is fine tuned for them.  The fun question is WHY?  Again, enter the Bible.

OK.  Fire away if you can!  I'll cut and paste some of your "Ape Objections" onto this thread so you don't think I abandoned you.  As for Portuguese ... you guys can go argue that one among yourselves.  You don't like what I have to say anyway, so why would you want me involved?  To me it sounds like "The sky is blue. No it's not ... you're an idiot.  Yes it is, see, look at it.  It's not EXACTLY blue, see, it's really Royal Blue. And here we have all these sources that don't say anything about it being blue to prove that it's Royal Blue.  Come argue with us, please, Davy.  We really want to show you how smart we are and how dumb you are.  OK?  Please?"

Until manana! Or manhao! (for you Portuguese fans) (I don't know how to do the tildes)

--------------

JMX

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,08:56   

** yawn **

If the universe were different, we would be different or not here (to notice). The A P proves zilch.

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,08:59   

Quote (afdave @ May 23 2006,13:40)

If the universe is fine-tuned for life, why is life such an extremely rare part of it?
 Good question.  Worth investigating.  But that doesn't argue against the fact that it is indeed fine tuned for life.

Of course it does, Dave. The universe is so poorly tuned for life that as far as we can tell it's extremely, unbelievably, astonishingly rare. As far as anyone knows, Dave, the only place life exists is right here on earth.

We've got a universe ~46 bilion light years wide, and life exists on one planet about 7,200 miles wide. Does that really give you a warm fuzzy feeling about how congenial this universe is for life? The universe can just, barely, under incredibly unlikely circumstances, sustain the barest little crumb of life.

Unless I'm mistaken, Dave, an omnipotent "Creator God" had infinite freedom in how He designed the universe. (Do you disagree? If so, please explain). Is there some reason why God did not design the universe so that life could exist virtually anywhere? Maybe God just doesn't really like life very much, so he tucked it away in an inconspicuous spot (like that unsightly stain on the carpet you cover up by parking a sofa over it) where he'd never have to look at it again?

--------------
2006 MVD award for most dogged defense of scientific sanity

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2006,09:00   

Quote (afdave @ May 23 2006,12:08)
Rilke-- I'm past Portuguese now ... got anything to defend Evolution?  Maybe some new great discovery that will finally make the lightbulb come on for me?

Thanks Dave, for admitting you were wrong. Brave of you to risk the embarassment.

6047 replies since May 01 2006,03:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (202) < ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]