RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 431 432 433 434 435 [436] 437 438 439 440 441 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,15:11   

Quote (Zachriel @ Mar. 08 2007,06:29)
idnet.com.au          
We just had a radio news item stating that bird DNA most resembles small dinosaur DNA showing how birds evolved by Darwinian Evolution from dinosaus.

It was from the current Nature.

I wondered where they got the dinosaur DNA from to compare it with birds?

Another confirmation of that controversial Cell Theory.

News @ Nature: But which came first: flying birds or the smaller genome? To find out, Chris Organ from Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and his colleagues estimated the genome sizes of the dinosaur ancestors of birds.

To get genetic information out of fossils that are hundreds of millions of years old, the team looked at the size of the bone cells. First, they established the relationship between the size of the bone cells and that of the genome in 26 living species of vertebrate, from fish to birds. Using sections of fossilized bone, they then measured the size of the pockets in which the bone cells would have sat in 31 species of extinct land-bound dinosaurs. From that they could estimate the size of the bone cells and, therefore, the size of the dinosaurs' genomes.

shaner74  
I read it too. If I recall correctly, they made a rather large assumption (Darwinists making assumptions - go figure!). They determined the size of bone cells (osteocytes) correlate directly with genome size. Then they looked at fossilized dino bone, and concluded dinosaur genomes are small. So essentially, they have assumed dino genomes are small without having dino DNA.

It's not an assumption if they demonstrated a correlation. It's an inference, consistent with independent research that had already shown other cell-types were similarly correlated.

Said Professor Scott Edwards,  "In fact, our work shows these streamlined genomes arose long before the first birds and flight, and can be added to the list of dinosaur traits previously thought to be found only in modern birds, including feathers, pulmonary innovations, and parental care and nesting."

idnet.com.au  
There may be a rough correlation between bone cell size and DNA content/ genome size, but that does not justufy the headlines highlighting the extrapolation (DNA similarity) rather than the original finding (bone cell size correlation).

The correlation justifies the inference. The reason genome-size is important is because it is related to a high metabolism.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,15:19   

It is swiftly getting to the point where Doug is the only poster at UD that anyone needs to read. His posts are so transcendent they can carry the whole site all on their own:

I am a Christian, and the example of our Lord is not to shun people or set up a caste system of more, or less, acceptable people. It’s therefore my policy to firmly resist all pressures from people who think it’s their right or duty to tell me who I may associate with and what sorts of penalties I will face if I don’t distance myself from the wrong crowd

You’d think that point would be easier to communicate than it ends up being. You get some hard-headed reductivist, activist, one too many visits from the anaesthesiologist types who simply won’t accept that we can work together to increase the quality of our science, our culture, our values and our lives.

Dr. Dembski, you are absolutely right.

Bless you.

Right on!

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,15:24   

IT WOOD BE BETTER IN CAPITALS, THOUGH.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,15:30   

Dammit Kristine - Don't go all soft and fluffy on us!
Listen here, sugar – if I want to play Patsy Cline albums (well, I’m at work, so I can’t, but still), get all misty-eyed, think about world unity, and write down the monikers of those UDudes that I want to hug first (making a list, checking it twice, going for those more naughty than nice), then I will. IS THAT CLEAR??? :D

Don’t you ever read the BIBLE? There is a time to wig, and a time to dig, a time for exclamation points, and a time for (was I the only one who noticed this?) periods – and if Doug gets to have periods, :O  ferchrissake, so do I!

(Aren’t you glad I shared that?) :p

First come hugs, then darwinian marriage, then comes materialism in the baby carriage.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,15:37   

These people are ALL about conspiracy theories.
http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....t-97410
Commentators speculate that “Reverend” Fred Phelps and the Westboro “Baptist Church” are in fact cunning constructs designed by pro-LGBT entitites to try and smear Christians and anti-LGBT campaigners.

So, for you, it's hard to believe that some people could be soooo nutty as to travel around to different locations and chant "God hates fags!" on an almost daily basis. Yet, a lot of us evilutionists find it hard to believe that people could be so dumb as to fall for the bogus ID/creationism shtick. But, alas, you do.

Given the madness of some anti-ID/anti-Creationists, once their rabid stupidity becomes so bloody obvious to the layman, I wouldn’t be surprised if Darwinists characterise the foaming advocates as constructs of an ID conspiracy…
He he, well there is a lot of subtle trollery on UD and other ID websites. So maybe it's the reverse.

GilDodgem at his finest:
http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....t-97445
I have used the term “no-brainer” too many times, so I’ll substitute: “Duh!”

--------------
With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,15:50   

Truthiness:

Gils' Bio:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/about#dodgen

He is also the primary author of a world-champion chess-variant computer program, and his research in checkers endgame databases has been published in the premier international peer-reviewed artificial-intelligence publication for game-playing computer programs, the ICGA Journal.

Chess-variant? does that mean checkers?

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,16:02   

How the IDiots hurt their cause #zillion and 4.

Densey:
http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....uestion

“The concern you expressed above, that an inference of design means that “we wouldn’t learn very much about the world”, beautifully captures the default position of defenders of materialism - whether they claim to be churchgoers or not - and that may be where you first encountered it. (I am not saying that you are a materialist; I am saying that you have beautifully captured their default position.)

First, you say you're a journalist but you don't know how to use nested quotes.

Anyway...

So, according to Densey, defenders of materialism may claim to be churchgoers but they can't be good christians since they defend materialism. Of course, they only claim to go to church and worship the Lord in the sky, but they must not be listening, because otherwise they would be wrapped up in all these material explanations for things. They wouldn't deny that the Lord thy God is responsible for making the sky blue and the rain fall.

http://post-darwinist.blogspot.com/2007....an.html
The materialists commonly call themselves atheists, but atheism is really a side issue in this context. Obviously, a materialist should be an atheist.

Obviously, a IDiot must be a tard.

--------------
With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,16:07   

Wait a minute.

William Dembski, the creator and operator of one of the most bannilicious blogs in the blogoverse, said this?
I am a Christian, and the example of our Lord is not to shun people or set up a caste system of more, or less, acceptable people.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !

RIGHT ON!

--------------

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,16:11   

Quote (Kristine @ Mar. 08 2007,15:30)
Dammit Kristine - Don't go all soft and fluffy on us!
Listen here, sugar – if I want to play Patsy Cline albums (well, I’m at work, so I can’t, but still), get all misty-eyed, think about world unity, and write down the monikers of those UDudes that I want to hug first (making a list, checking it twice, going for those more naughty than nice), then I will. IS THAT CLEAR??? :D

Don’t you ever read the BIBLE? There is a time to wig, and a time to dig, a time for exclamation points, and a time for (was I the only one who noticed this?) periods – and if Doug gets to have periods, :O  ferchrissake, so do I!

(Aren’t you glad I shared that?) :p

First come hugs, then darwinian marriage, then comes materialism in the baby carriage.

I nominate Kristine for AtBC Post of the Month.  And also for AtBC Post of the Time of the Month.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Fross

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,16:35   

the taint of ID???

ewwwaa!!

--------------
"For everything else, there's Mastertard"

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,16:37   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Mar. 08 2007,13:43)
Dembski. Templeton & Jebus:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-design

And Little Willy Dimski was all,

Just because ID has a political dimension does not mean that it does not have a solid scientific and intellectual core than can be weighed apart from political considerations.

Hey Willy, take away the Wedge Strategy, the Teach the Controversy thingy and what have you got left?  NOTHING you bird brained nincompoop.

What is left at the core when you strip ID of its politics?  NOTHING you bird brained nincompoop, not a freakin' thing because at it's core it is a political movement that is void, VOID I tell you, of anything scientific and/or intelligent.

Prove me wrong, and show us the "solid scientific and intellectual core than can be weighed apart from political considerations." you freakin' liar for jebus.  And spare us your stupid mouse trap, mt rushmore, fuzzy math nonsense.  

We want the "solid scientific and intellectual core than can be weighed apart from political considerations."

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,17:06   

Quote (Zachriel @ Mar. 08 2007,08:41)
[...]

[...] Inferring that something is designed does not require knowing how it was manufactured. You clearly can’t accept that so there’s really no reason for you to continue here.

I reckon that to infer that something was designed could result from knowing either (1) how it was manufactured, (2) who or what did the designing, or (3) for what the object was to be used. So yeah, such inference could be made without knowing the engineering details, if some other details are known. (Or am I just being picky?)

Henry

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,17:12   

Kristine, I second the nomination.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,17:12   

Brace for Tardpact:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....t-97643

JMP83

03/08/2007

5:55 pm
I want to make a plea to Design Theorists like Bill Dembski and others. PLEASE GET TO WORK.

We have got to find something to get momentum going again. Are you guys still building a lab at a major university?

I mean if the Dems (lets not delude ourselves, they are not friendly to ID) in 2008. The atmosphere in this country towards ID will probably become hostile.

All my hopes.

William Dembski

03/08/2007

6:05 pm
JMP83: Oh, but we are working. Question: Who are you to tell us to get to work??

Snap, Girlfriend

--------------

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,17:17   

O'Leary, first person:
Nobody seems to be blogging these days
'Scuse me?
including me
Who? Oh. She. Must be a personality not yet seen. (It's like Sybil!;)
I’ve often said that the ID guys owe a good deal of their success to their opposition

Do you see that? Shimmies make ID babies (you've heard of "eye-babies," right?), and behind every, er, backfiring fart animation stands an evo-diva with a gas mask. (O'Leary's not on my list BTW.)

Now where was I? Oh, yeah: 
[note 13] Laura Bauer, “Intelligent design backers criticize KU course title,” The Kansas City Star, November 23, 2005. Available online (January 2006)

Scott Jaschik, Emails Kill a Course, Inside Higher Education, December 2, 2005. Available online (January 2006)

Michelle Malkin, “What Happened to Paul Mirecki?” December 7, 2005. Available online (January 2006)

Wow that's news. Citations from this century and everything. Here's a  current one for you, Denyse. Which leads to:
These people are ALL about conspiracy theories.
Yeah, what a flock of Dodis.
Lemme tuck you in, tenstrings. And Fross, quit trying to out-ewww me. :D (Read definition 6.)

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,17:22   

And you gotta be kidding me:  
For a comparison, I believe more money was spent on the PBS Evolution miniseries than in the entire history of the Discovery Institute’s CSC.
Falsifiable. Anyone? (We need an eyeroll smily BTW.)

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,17:27   

Quote (hooligans @ Mar. 08 2007,13:47)
I am a Christian, and the example of our Lord is not to shun people or set up a caste system of more, or less, acceptable people.

Except for darwinists, of course.

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,17:33   

Quote (REC @ Mar. 08 2007,20:01)
I crack myself up....since it will NEVER get posted, here is my latest comment to "The Taint of Intelligent Design"

Umm...I might rephrase the title.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tain%27t
Or....maybe its entirely appropriate.

Those of you who don't get it should follow the link....

Oh that tickled my fancy DT, howabout you?
Where is it again?
Between your godhead and your designer......U useless oxygen thief.
My tain't? DTard One hundred percent pure bacon!

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,17:35   

Shaner74 says:

I look at it more as “materialism of the gaps” because all the major “gaps” IMO are the ones that matter most. For example, is life designed or does it just look that way? Is the universe designed or are there trillions of them and we just got lucky in this one. Is the mind a physical process or not? The only questions that really matter are the only ones materialism can’t answer. They’ve had a 150 years to do away with design and still the best evidence they have is the cyclical change of finch beaks and total cr*p like the “meme”.

And I say, religion's had more than a few millenia and so far they're batting <0. Funny that would be in a god of the gaps post.right here

--------------

The Daily Wingnut

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,18:55   

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Mar. 08 2007,16:37)
Hey Willy, take away the Wedge Strategy, the Teach the Controversy thingy and what have you got left?  NOTHING you bird brained nincompoop.

What is left at the core when you strip ID of its politics?  NOTHING you bird brained nincompoop, not a freakin' thing because at it's core it is a political movement that is void, VOID I tell you, of anything scientific and/or intelligent.

Prove me wrong, and show us the "solid scientific and intellectual core than can be weighed apart from political considerations." you freakin' liar for jebus.  And spare us your stupid mouse trap, mt rushmore, fuzzy math nonsense.  

Ahem... I think we have another contestant for the ATbC "Period Post Of the Month Time"... ;)

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,19:41   

Sulky Sal:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....t-97679

JMP83:

ID people got to get to work.

Most of the ID people volunteer their time and money for the cause and could be doing something more profitable for their lives. Some put their careers at risk. Unless you have something to offer, I suggest you keep your worthless advice to yourself.

B*llshit, Sal. Dembski's made a career out of it.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/evoluti....stitute

Code Sample
Let me reiterate that ID has been very, very good to me!

Sal, you stupid rube.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,20:29   

Feel the science:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....untruth

No wonder intelligent (graphic) designers love ID. Please let there be an animated version with farts.

--------------

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,20:32   

link

I wasn't going to feed the tard but htis is beautiful. Here's a taste:
Imagine the mindset of someone who believes the God of the Gaps claptrap closes the iron door on God. They divide the divine into a million tiny pieces and systematically autoclave each piece, declaring after each one a triumph. What are they sterilizing? First they kill the bacteria of wonder leaving a sore that refuses to heal. With wonder gone, reverence falls by the wayside. The sacred no longer includes sublime. With that little sticking point dispensed, the cosmos allows them the luxury of declaring things relative only to each other. Once existence reflects only the relative nature of itself, the mind dispenses with responsibility, for what thing requires responsibility when natural random forces coalesce only in random patterns? Once responsibility dies, human morality withers enough that it no longer needs justification. And slowly but surely the noose tightens.

--------------

The Daily Wingnut

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,20:33   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Mar. 08 2007,17:12)
Brace for Tardpact:

JMP83

03/08/2007

I want to make a plea to Design Theorists like Bill Dembski and others. PLEASE GET TO WORK.

We have got to find something to get momentum going again. Are you guys still building a lab at a major university?

I mean if the Dems (lets not delude ourselves, they are not friendly to ID) in 2008. The atmosphere in this country towards ID will probably become hostile.

All my hopes.

William Dembski

03/08/2007

JMP83: Oh, but we are working. Question: Who are you to tell us to get to work??

Snap, Girlfriend

This has now been changed, without reference to this:

03/08/2007

1:40 pm

scordova

03/08/2007

7:58 pm
JMP83:

Most of the ID people sacrifice their time and money for the cause and could be doing something more profitable for their own lives. Some put their careers at risk. Unless you have something to offer, I suggest you keep your worthless advice to yourself.

Such low moral standards, UD.

--------------

Steviepinhead

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,20:40   

Uh, let's see, Wells, or some other ID tard goes to Japan and lectures to one group of philosophers and another group of shinto students.  The reception is termed "polite."  A sympatheic cartoon is published in a newspaper.

From that, Rob Crowther apparently concludes that Japanese "scientists" are growing more interested in ID.

Hmmm, so far I count Wells, philosophers, shinto students, and a cartoonist.  Arguably, you might be able to hide Waldo in this crowd, but where the heck did Crowther find the "scientists"?

I'm happy for the IDiots that they got a clever cartoon out of this TardTour, but anybody halfway honest would've contented themselves with that, without feeling the urge to Lie For ID.  Of course, "halfway honest" is Ethical Superstardom in IDiotardological terms.

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,21:02   

holy crap!

It's hard to for even me to believe that anyone is capable of that kind of dishonesty.

...even WITH all the dishonesty I've seen coming from IDers, to mutilate a post like that is just disgusting.

I don't know what else to say.  It's stunning in its condemnation of those who disseminate the ID meme.

It's beyond even making fun of.

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,21:14   

Quote (Ichthyic @ Mar. 08 2007,21:02)

holy crap!

It's hard to for even me to believe that anyone is capable of that kind of dishonesty.

...even WITH all the dishonesty I've seen coming from IDers, to mutilate a post like that is just disgusting.

I don't know what else to say.  It's stunning in its condemnation of those who disseminate the ID meme.

It's beyond even making fun of.

Actually, I'd like to retract my allegation:

It turns out there are 2 posts:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....t-97591

JMP83

03/08/2007

scordova

03/08/2007

JMP83:

Most of the ID people sacrifice their time and money for the cause and could be doing something more profitable for their own lives. Some put their careers at risk. Unless you have something to offer, I suggest you keep your worthless advice to yourself.

and

JMP83

03/08/2007

All my hopes.

William Dembski

03/08/2007

Apologies, IDers. I made a "design inference" based on your history of changing things.

--------------

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,21:19   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Mar. 09 2007,04:33)

Quote (Richardthughes @ Mar. 08 2007,17:12)
Brace for Tardpact:

JMP83

03/08/2007

All my hopes.

William Dembski

03/08/2007

Snap, Girlfriend

This has now been changed, without reference to this:

03/08/2007

scordova

03/08/2007

JMP83:

Well, at least they are consistant.

Worthless reasoning produces worthless censoring and worthless comments by worthless Sal who deemed fit (or was that you DogTurd?) to remove worthless Dr. Doktor Dickski's worthless mirthless wrothness

Salvation Sal has turned to cynicism and shows he knows the value of nothing, except the worthlessness of doing ID work .

Maybe Sal, you should ask Dr. Demb_$ID for a raise?

Here I'll give you a free tip...."Hey Bill I'm a poor shit for brains ID supporter. You made lotsa da money from my free promos 4 u, gimme a bit, you tight cunt"

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,21:23   

Apologies, IDers. I made a "design inference" based on your history of changing things.

OH great!

Huge u twat.

Now I'm going to have to apologize to Slimy Sal.

...or not.....nah!

--------------

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 08 2007,21:33   

JMP38:

Dembski:
Question: Who are you to tell us to get to work??
I wasn't under the impression that pleading was intended to imply authority.
As Campana notes in his reply, Grassie was clearly mistaken when he identified the bulk of ID supporters (whether among the intellectual leaders or among the sympathizers in the broader public) as largely young earth creationists.
To be fair the only thing wrong with that sentence is that most ID supporters appear to be young earth creationists.

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 431 432 433 434 435 [436] 437 438 439 440 441 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]