RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (527) < ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: May 09 2014,09:20   

Quote (sparc @ May 09 2014,03:36)
Even without extremities gpuccio will still call it a draw:
17 JLAfan2001 May 8, 2014 at 7:27 am
gpuccio

19% functional is long cry from 80%.

18 gpuccio May 8, 2014 at 7:38 am
JLAfan2001:

OK, but the ENCODE data still show activity for 80% of DNA. Nothing has changed. We will see how much of that is confirmed as functional in independent ways. Science must be patient.

edited to correct links and spacing

There's a nice review of the case for "junk DNA" in PLOS Genetics, which I'm sure won't be mis-interpreted by 'news' at all.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

timothya

(Permalink) Posted: May 09 2014,14:44   

Jerry at UD explains what "explaining" means:
Here is something someone explained to me several years ago. I didnt really understand it in terms of the debate at that time.

--------------
"In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread." Anatole France

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: May 09 2014,15:23   

Quote (REC @ May 09 2014,06:45)
As silly as UD is, the denizens there are made to look like geniuses by some of the YECs out there.

Take this guy Nathaniel T. Jeanson, who claims to have a PhD from Harvard.

Here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCVE5BwBrUk
We can't say that we are closer to, say, chimps than we are to yeast, because chimps and humans are equally distant from yeast.

Holy hell. You're doing it wrong. I promise you that despite all of us being equally distant to my great aunt, that I can prove I am more closely related to my sister than my first cousin. It is beautiful that in his presentation he has the data to do phylogeny right, then discards it, and from the resulting mess, claims to have "disproved evolution."

Here: http://www.icr.org/article....le...., he applies a molecular clock to mitochondria, multiplying millions of years or 6000 years by the mutation rate. The number of differences works better for the YEC model. He conveniently forgets mitochondria have small (20,000 base) genomes, and that he has predicted 2-3 million coding changes. Oops. (Not to mention mtDNA is probably not neutral, he picked the most rapidly evolving segment "D-loop" to get his molecular clock, and he never states what genomes he's comparing).

I take it back. This guy can't be that dumb. He's just lying.

He has a stub at RationalWiki.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: May 09 2014,23:33   

18 gpuccio May 8, 2014 at 7:38 am
JLAfan2001:

OK, but the ENCODE data still show activity for 80% of DNA. Nothing has changed. We will see how much of that is confirmed as functional in independent ways. Science must be patient.

It shows "activity"? Does that mean any more than that this molecule sometimes reacts with other molecules that happen to bump into it?

Funny, I thought that's what molecules do!

Henry

timothya

(Permalink) Posted: May 11 2014,05:35   

News at UD says this about Anthechinus stuartii (without bothering to learn anything about this fascinating creature):
Okay, but how does this elucidate the true meaning of life? Antechinus impacted the planet how, exactly? Apart from providing unexpectedamusement for cats?

Three sentences. Three stupids.

--------------
"In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread." Anatole France

Learned Hand

(Permalink) Posted: May 11 2014,18:00   

Apropos of nothing, I spent today touring Down House and its environs during a weekend off from a long business trip to London. I was not prepared for how beautiful the grounds are--the gardens, sandwalk, and walk back to the village were gorgeous.

The bookstore sells a number of excellent reads, such as Why Evolution is True. But not Darwin's Black Box or No Free Lunch. I suppose that will have to wait until IDists prove their case and have their homes converted into national parks.

timothya

(Permalink) Posted: May 12 2014,00:56   

Byers at UD on the intelligence gene:

As said before intelligence can be measured. However its still just measuring a point in time of some people or person.
If conclusions are made then it must be a controlled experiment.
no bringing immigrant peoples from backward nations into our nations AND THEN SCORING IT.
The only reason this stuff is allowed is because they dont have to admit to a british or aryan or white superiority. Otherwise these books and writers would be burned at the stake.
Its proof its a liberal establishment and not common consent on these matters.

in reality there is no such thing as intelligence. just divisions of knowing.
The bible says Wisdom, first, and then understanding and then knowledge. its all outside us and its there for everybody HOWEVER generally the people you are born into and mingle with are the origin for what the kid picks up.
Thats why there are identity differences. Including motivation to explain female behindness etc.

You would have to think long and hard to deliberately cram so much toxic rubbish into so few words. There are at least three good reasons to keep your mouth closed in an Internet discussion:
1. If you don't know what you are talking about
2. If you don't want to prove that you don't know what you are talking about
3. If you don't want the flies to crap all over your tongue

--------------

George

(Permalink) Posted: May 12 2014,08:33   

Quote (timothya @ May 12 2014,00:56)
As said before intelligence can be measured. However its still just measuring a point in time of some people or person.
no bringing immigrant peoples from backward nations into our nations AND THEN SCORING IT.
The only reason this stuff is allowed is because they dont have to admit to a british or aryan or white superiority. Otherwise these books and writers would be burned at the stake.

The bible says Wisdom, first, and then understanding and then knowledge. its all outside us and its there for everybody HOWEVER generally the people you are born into and mingle with are the origin for what the kid picks up.
Thats why there are identity differences. Including motivation to explain female behindness etc.

You would have to think long and hard to deliberately cram so much toxic rubbish into so few words. There are at least three good reasons to keep your mouth closed in an Internet discussion:

I have to admit to being a big fan of female behindness.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 12 2014,11:26   

You other brothers can't deny.

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: May 12 2014,11:48   

Quote (timothya @ May 12 2014,01:56)

Is there anyone at UD who calls Byers out on his misogyny or is this acceptable behavior inside the big tent?

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: May 12 2014,17:00   

Quote (stevestory @ May 12 2014,11:26)
You other brothers can't deny.

Rec'd for quote - It reminds me of Shrek 2, with The Donkey & The Dragon...

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: May 12 2014,22:50   

Quote (Learned Hand @ May 12 2014,11:00)
Apropos of nothing, I spent today touring Down House and its environs during a weekend off from a long business trip to London. I was not prepared for how beautiful the grounds are--the gardens, sandwalk, and walk back to the village were gorgeous.

The bookstore sells a number of excellent reads, such as Why Evolution is True. But not Darwin's Black Box or No Free Lunch. I suppose that will have to wait until IDists prove their case and have their homes converted into national parks.

I went there about 3 years ago and can vouch for all of this. The grounds and general surroundings outshine the Down House interior exhibits, in my opinion, although it probably helped that I was there on a warm, fine spring day. It gave interesting insights into Darwin himself, with preserved experimental pieces, and life in general for a large Victorian household in outer London.
An excellent way to spend half a day if you find yourself in London with the time to spare.
And yes, the people that stock the book and gift shop seem to have no idea of the raging scientific controversy going on - no ID books in sight!

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: May 12 2014,22:53   

Quote (Patrick @ May 13 2014,04:48)

Is there anyone at UD who calls Byers out on his misogyny or is this acceptable behavior inside the big tent?

Well, to her* credit regular commenter Barb has taken him up on it, but to the discredit of UD in general she seems to be the only one.
It's all water off a duck's back, of course, for Byers; witness his impervious-to-reality history of posting at PT.

*Assuming gender on the basis that Barb > Barbara

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: May 12 2014,22:55   

Well, to all in tents and perversions...

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: May 12 2014,22:59   

Off topic: Where's KF? Another constitutional crisis on Montserrat?

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 13 2014,15:52   

Quote (George @ May 12 2014,08:33)

But will you ever get to the bottom of it?

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: May 13 2014,19:09   

Quote (sparc @ May 12 2014,23:59)

Since none of the IDCists ever say anything new, if you're missing one of them you could just use a Markov algorithm to generate equally intelligible text.

My proof of that claim is here.  It's a quick hack -- let me know if you run into any problems.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: May 13 2014,19:52   

Quote (sparc @ May 13 2014,06:59)

Maybe Magenta called him over for a threesome.....

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: May 13 2014,22:52   

Update from Upright (of all people):
Robert. I am almost sick that I must share a forum with you.

You are a dipshit.

UD link

--------------

George

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2014,01:43   

Quote (Richardthughes @ May 13 2014,15:52)

No, just arsing around.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2014,03:22   

Quote (Patrick @ May 13 2014,19:09)

Since none of the IDCists ever say anything new, if you're missing one of them you could just use a Markov algorithm to generate equally intelligible text.

My proof of that claim is here. It's a quick hack -- let me know if you run into any problems.

The vincentbot needs more green text. I'm lookign forward to the ba77bot, once you've found a way of storing and generating that much text.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

rossum

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2014,05:34   

Quote (George @ May 14 2014,01:43)

No, just arsing around.

We need to get back to fundamentals here.

--------------
The ultimate truth is that there is no ultimate truth.

Kattarina98

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2014,06:09   

Quote (rossum @ May 14 2014,12:34)

No, just arsing around.

You shouldn't make female anatomy the butt of your jokes.

--------------
Barry Arrington is a bitch.

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2014,06:59   

Quote (Bob O'H @ May 14 2014,04:22)
Quote (Patrick @ May 13 2014,19:09)

My proof of that claim is here. It's a quick hack -- let me know if you run into any problems.

The vincentbot needs more green text. I'm lookign forward to the ba77bot, once you've found a way of storing and generating that much text.

Unfortunately, ba77 quotes so much material that a simple Markov generator can't model his output.  I'll try a few tweaks this weekend to see what might work.

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2014,07:01   

Quote (Ptaylor @ May 13 2014,23:52)

Update from Upright (of all people):

Robert. I am almost sick that I must share a forum with you.

You are a dipshit.

UD link

Credit where credit is due.  Well said, Upright Biped.

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: May 14 2014,12:26   

Quote (Kattarina98 @ May 14 2014,04:09)
Quote (rossum @ May 14 2014,12:34)

No, just arsing around.

You shouldn't make female anatomy the butt of your jokes.

Cheeky!

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2014,00:24   

Quote (Patrick @ May 14 2014,12:09)

I'm no programmer, but I think I can see why there is no DenyseBot. How could you assign text with no logic behind it?

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2014,09:48   

Lewontin!

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2014,10:53   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ May 15 2014,09:48)
Lewontin!

I find the strong AI discussion interesting.I don't see much discussion of my idea, which is that artificial brains will have to evolve and cannot (in practice, if not in principle) be designed.

If strong AI ever happens, it will be after many iterations of tinkering. In effect, design by evolution.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Woodbine

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2014,17:57   

Slimy Sal's Young Cosmos 2 Creation Evolution University is on fire; no activity in week.

Fittingly the last post is from Robert 'Wendell' Byers....

To ID and YEC folks WHAT will it look like when we destroy darwins evolutionism?
Will it be a better world for creationism?
I suspect it will not for yEC.
YEC believes all creation ended on creation week. so after that anything that changed in biology etc was from natural mechanisms.
This was impressive by any standard and very impressive by other standards like mine.
i believe marine mammals are just adapted land lovers and probably bats are only post flood adated rats.
Etc etc. people look very different and so on.
Therefore this IS other mechanism for biological change of note.
i suspect when these are realized and discovered that it will allow a worst criticism for biblical creationism.
they will say GOD created the beginning stuff but then ever since there has been change and so genesis is wrong.
Anyways. knocking out darwin might lead to problems more serious.
just wondering what others think about when darwin is finally buried with the other wrong and dumb ideas in mankind.

So he's not a YEC?

15792 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (527) < ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]