RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (40) < ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... >   
  Topic: Vox Day: Alpha Fail., Rich veins of untapped Tard< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,05:22   

Quote (Schroedinger's Dog @ Jan. 25 2011,04:09)
dheddle, I'd rather argue that you are a bit over-sensitive.

Yes, a fœtus is a potential human being. So is an ovum or a spermatozoid.

Sorry, but I don't feel sad every time I throw away the equivalent of the population of Netherlands after a good wanking. Also, I don't see my girlfriend as a mass murdering cannibal.

I hope you don't cry every month when your partner gets her period.

Until a baby is born and starts getting functional cognitive developpment, it is not, per say, a human being. A potential one, yes, but just as an ovum or a spermatozoid.

Which doesn't mean I, or ayone else here, don't understand your point of view, but please don't judge the morality of others based solely on your own feelings. Would you say a mortician or a forensic doctor are heartless because they do their job without feeling sad for the person they're working on?

Are you that clinical about it? Because, let's grant for the sake of argument, that a sperm and a fetus are both merely potential humans --you have exactly the same [emotionless] response?

I certainly don't. If I see a fetus in a bloody mess with recognizable body parts, I have a different emotional response than if I think of sperm being flushed down the toilet. And I was the same way before I was a Christian. One is much sadder/harder to look at/more poignant--I don't exactly how to describe it--but certainly evokes a different, stronger, more unpleasant emotion.

I'm actually surprised to realize that may not be a universal trait. So maybe PZ is rather commonplace in this regard. If so, my bad.

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,05:32   

Page turn bug...

--------------
"Hail is made out of water? Are you really that stupid?" Joe G

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,05:32   

Quote (the_ignored @ Jan. 25 2011,04:13)

dheddle
Then, like PZ, you are also a cold-hearted scumbag with no empathy.

If that was the case, then he would not give a rat's ass about all the child sexual abuse cases the catholic church is responsible for.  Those victims you see, were unambigiously human, already having developed enough to be born and live.

With a few week old fetus, which doesn't even have a nervous system that can feel pain, or have any kind of consciousness, it's not quite so clear.

Some people regard it as "fully human" (the faux pro-lifers of religious bent) and some atheist pro-lifers like myself, even if they're not fully developed yet.

Think of it this way:  Do you have the same feelings when you open up an egg to cook it as when you see that unborn bird fall?

You are missing the boat. I am not arguing about the pain the fetus may or may not feel. I am arguing from (it would appear, a false assumption) that no normal person, independent of their religious views, could examine pictures of aborted fetuses and not experience some kind of emotional response beyond "it is just meat."

As for the egg vice the recognizable unborn bird drying out in my driveway whose egg feel from the tree, I do not think of them the same way. That's the point. Do you think of them the same way?  Does the latter not generate a response different from the former?

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,05:34   

The feeling I have is more of repulsion and disgust, but that's just because I don't really like seeing blood. But it will never be a feeling of sadness, that's for sure...

--------------

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,05:50   

for shits sake a pile of hotdogs and fava beans is also a potential human being.  but i bet you don't get all weepy eyed when your freezer takes a crap.

"rate my emotional response" is tres passe

pharyngula is a fanboi cesspool.  and if the SHTF PZ will be eaten first.  look at him, he's a doughy wanker.  and he probably doesn't know a banjo from a double headed dildo

other than that, who cares?  there is nothing rational about this meat faggery.  and no fucko that doesn't make anyone a monster just because they don't share your hallmark sentiments.  

nearly everyone has some sort of emotions, most people can't [or don't give a fuck about it enough to] share them as a universal common denominator.  it's not like you can yank that shit out and look at it in the light, so who cares?  only people who want to be reeeeeeeeal concerned.  dheddle that's what you are doing aint it?  sure as hell is what everyone else crying about PZ is doing.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,06:04   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Jan. 25 2011,05:50)
for shits sake a pile of hotdogs and fava beans is also a potential human being.  but i bet you don't get all weepy eyed when your freezer takes a crap.

"rate my emotional response" is tres passe

pharyngula is a fanboi cesspool.  and if the SHTF PZ will be eaten first.  look at him, he's a doughy wanker.  and he probably doesn't know a banjo from a double headed dildo

other than that, who cares?  there is nothing rational about this meat faggery.  and no fucko that doesn't make anyone a monster just because they don't share your hallmark sentiments.  

nearly everyone has some sort of emotions, most people can't [or don't give a fuck about it enough to] share them as a universal common denominator.  it's not like you can yank that shit out and look at it in the light, so who cares?  only people who want to be reeeeeeeeal concerned.  dheddle that's what you are doing aint it?  sure as hell is what everyone else crying about PZ is doing.

Maybe that's what I'm doing. But I prefer to think that I am lashing out at a stupid comment. Isn't that the lingua franca of AtBC?

Are you sure about that "nobody cares about emotions" argument? Are you sure I couldn't search the archives of AtBC and find comments about the emotions--comments on someone getting "weepy", etc.--of the UD commenters?

And of course the gist of my original comment on PZ was that his meat comment made me think of him as stupid. In a way that someone who is impolitic sometimes appears to be stupid--when it is gratuitous.

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,06:10   

the commenters on his blag are what demean my perceptions of the man lol

oh i am sure that there is all sorts of emotional tripe on here.  the difference is that you Dave seem to be are judging his response relative to your own as some sort of standard.  And we all have one and they all stink, and that's a wasted exercise I think.  

for all we know PZ could have been playing "street theatre".  all i can tell you is that i can't really be arsed to give a damn enough to form an opinion about his opinions about things that don't have opinions.  

especially when this clown in the other thread is in hilariously high dudgeon

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,08:02   

dheddle, they are just yanking your chain hoping for an emotional response.  They have to stick to the script due to their own lifestyles.  

No one, and I mean no one, can look at pictures of human fetuses being killed and removed from their Mothers without feeling revoltion, empathy and remorse.  

Unless, of course, they have the mentality of a Jeffrey Dahmer.

March for Life took place at the White House yesterday.  Good for them.  If we sit back and let these travesties occur without response, they will only increase substantially.

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,08:09   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 25 2011,08:02)
dheddle, they are just yanking your chain hoping for an emotional response.  They have to stick to the script due to their own lifestyles.  

No one, and I mean no one, can look at pictures of human fetuses being killed and removed from their Mothers without feeling revoltion, empathy and remorse.  

March for Life took place at the White House yesterday.  Good for them.  If we sit back and let these travesties occur without response, they will only increase substantially.

FTK - I do not think this means what you think it means...You just posted that the March For Life is a travesty.  Subliminal truth - or did The Baby Jesus make you post it?

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,08:13   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 25 2011,14:02)

Way to demonise anyone who disagrees with your emotional, visceral complaints and claims that fall downstream.

"Why those pro-choice people only do it because of their lifestyles, if pictures of dead foetuses don't make them feel exactly the way I do then they must be like a gay serial killer."

Brava! A truly monumental display of ignorance and prejudice. I could have asked for no better from you FTK, thank you.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,08:18   

<shrugs> What I said is true....unless you're subhuman.

--------------
"Evolution is a creationism and just as illogical [as] the other pantheistic creation myths"  -forastero

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,08:32   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 25 2011,14:18)

Can we be Nazis too?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,08:35   

They have to stick to the script due to their own lifestyles.

Fuck you.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Ftk

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,08:40   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Jan. 25 2011,08:35)

Fuck you.

<shrugs again>  It's true.

--------------

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,08:48   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 25 2011,08:40)

Fuck you.

What about if you do it (perform abortions) day after day after day after year. Tens of thousands of times. Do really think the 1000th would be the same as the first?

What about if you spend all day cutting up human fetuses for medical research? Would you not become even slightly immune to your initial feelings of "revoltion, empathy and remorse"?

"just another day at the office"?

EDITED for clarity.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,08:49   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 25 2011,14:40)

Fuck you.

Really? What specific aspects of our lifestyles are you referring to? What evidence have you got?

Do you know what the "argumentum ad hominem" is and why it is a logical fallacy?

You're claiming things are true but providing neither detail nor support. Is it possible you are, as before and as ever, merely asserting things as true because you believe them to be the case?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Wolfhound

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,08:50   

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 25 2011,04:11)
You agree with him that pictures of mangled aborted fetuses inspire  no thoughts other than "it's just meat?".

For crying out loud, when I see a dead unborn bird (the egg fell) it makes me feel sad.  And that has nothing to do with religion.

Not you. Regardless of your stand on abortion, you can truly look at aborted fetuses with no metaphysical connection, even if only to the potential human whose parts are clearly recognizable, lying in a bloody heap? Even without ascribing any moral culpability to anyone, or even acknowledging that that there is any moral issue, even if the abortion was most straightforward inarguable case, (say, saving the life of a woman who was incestuously gang-raped) even then it would be the equivalent of looking at meat?  

Of course you didn't grasp what I was saying. All you did was the reflexive: religious person speaking--must disagree. Everything is good-guy/bad-guy.

So you know what? You can bite me, jackass.

Wow, perfesser, you are truly a frothing nutbag and/or are extremely oversensitive.  Talk about me being "reflexive".  Good gumbo!

Either way, you're pretty rabid and, like PZ, I really don't give a flying fig about your opinion one way or another.  If you came here looking for your outrage to be affirmed by others, you clearly picked the wrong venue.  

And you cane bite me in return, jackass.

Wow!  Isn't this fun?   :)

--------------
I've found my personality to be an effective form of birth control.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,08:57   

Hmmmm, I wonder:

No one, and I mean no one, can look at pictures of, and statisics about, the harm women suffer under conditions where abortions are outlawed or restricted without feeling revoltion, empathy and remorse.  

March for Choice took place at the White House yesterday.  Good for them.  If we sit back and let these travesties occur without response, they will only increase substantially.

Oh look! I can play "Rhetorical Demonisation Without Basis In Fact" too. I can haz cookie nao?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Wolfhound

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,08:58   

Quote (Ftk @ Jan. 25 2011,09:18)

Annnnnnnd she drops her kissy-poo, sweetness n' light, "can't we all just along" pretense and returns to her roots by pulling the (reverse) Nazi card.

See, to me and prolly most of the folks here at AtBC, you and Heddle are merely religiously deluded morons for a variety of reasons that have little if anything to do with your stance and/or feelings regarding abortion.  Both of you, however, classify anybody who doesn't have your opinion/response to abortion as less than human.

I find this very telling.

--------------

Wolfhound

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,08:59   

Quote (Schroedinger's Dog @ Jan. 25 2011,06:34)
The feeling I have is more of repulsion and disgust, but that's just because I don't really like seeing blood. But it will never be a feeling of sadness, that's for sure...

This.  With strobe lights.

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,09:11   

Quote (Wolfhound @ Jan. 25 2011,14:58)

Annnnnnnd she drops her kissy-poo, sweetness n' light, "can't we all just along" pretense and returns to her roots by pulling the (reverse) Nazi card.

See, to me and prolly most of the folks here at AtBC, you and Heddle are merely religiously deluded morons for a variety of reasons that have little if anything to do with your stance and/or feelings regarding abortion.  Both of you, however, classify anybody who doesn't have your opinion/response to abortion as less than human.

I don't put Heddle and FTK in the same box....as far as I put anyone in boxes at all.

Heddle is more than capable of reasoned and reasonable discourse about anything that does not impinge on his religion (which is of course NASCAR) and is probably worth Having a Beer With, no matter how much we disagree about some important things. Hell, if nothing else, at least he could teach me some physics. (Although I will say his current foray into demonising anyone who doesn't elevate his (or their own) visceral reactions to pictures of dismembered foetuses to "important and intellectually meaningful" makes me question this...and not for the first time)

FTK is....how shall I put this...not.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,09:17   

Quote (Wolfhound @ Jan. 25 2011,08:50)
You agree with him that pictures of mangled aborted fetuses inspire  no thoughts other than "it's just meat?".

For crying out loud, when I see a dead unborn bird (the egg fell) it makes me feel sad.  And that has nothing to do with religion.

Not you. Regardless of your stand on abortion, you can truly look at aborted fetuses with no metaphysical connection, even if only to the potential human whose parts are clearly recognizable, lying in a bloody heap? Even without ascribing any moral culpability to anyone, or even acknowledging that that there is any moral issue, even if the abortion was most straightforward inarguable case, (say, saving the life of a woman who was incestuously gang-raped) even then it would be the equivalent of looking at meat?  

Of course you didn't grasp what I was saying. All you did was the reflexive: religious person speaking--must disagree. Everything is good-guy/bad-guy.

Wow, perfesser, you are truly a frothing nutbag and/or are extremely oversensitive.  Talk about me being "reflexive".  Good gumbo!

Either way, you're pretty rabid and, like PZ, I really don't give a flying fig about your opinion one way or another.  If you came here looking for your outrage to be affirmed by others, you clearly picked the wrong venue.  

Heddle is a good guy, Wolfie. You and he might not agree on this emotionally charged subject but there is no need to start a flame war.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,09:18   

Quote (olegt @ Jan. 25 2011,09:17)

Heddle is a good guy, Wolfie. You and he might not agree on this emotionally charged subject but there is no need to start a flame war.

Yeah, I'll vouch for Heddle's character. *squints*. I don't think he always gets it right, but I've always found him to be honest.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,09:19   

Please disregard all my previous posts in support of FTK, I was wrong.

Maybe I should replace them with select passages from Anton Lavey's Satanic Bible...

Or LoLcats...

Or pics of dead fœtuses...

Too many choices!!!

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,09:22   

Quote (olegt @ Jan. 25 2011,15:17)

In Wolfie's defense she definitely did not start it. Heddle and FTK need to tone the {ahem} rhetoric down a notch or two I think...and that's coming from a gigantically mean, foul mouthed fucker like me.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Wolfhound

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,09:22   

Quote (Louis @ Jan. 25 2011,10:11)
Quote (Wolfhound @ Jan. 25 2011,14:58)

I don't put Heddle and FTK in the same box....as far as I put anyone in boxes at all.

Heddle is more than capable of reasoned and reasonable discourse about anything that does not impinge on his religion (which is of course NASCAR) and is probably worth Having a Beer With, no matter how much we disagree about some important things. Hell, if nothing else, at least he could teach me some physics. (Although I will say his current foray into demonising anyone who doesn't elevate his (or their own) visceral reactions to pictures of dismembered foetuses to "important and intellectually meaningful" makes me question this...and not for the first time)

FTK is....how shall I put this...not.

Louis

Well, that's good to know.  I haven't seen enough of him, evidently, so his rather violent reaction to the fact that when I look at pictures of aborted fetuses (something I prefer not to do, just as I prefer not to watch video of eye surgery) and say, "Icky.  Blood and meat" as opposed to, "OH!  Poor little Bobby will NEVER ride a bike now" put him in FtK territory.  It would appear he's only a silly-billy like FtK on this particular subject.

So, I apologize to Heddle, although it's doubtful he'd accept since I'm an unfeeling monster or somesuch.  *sob*  But YOU love me, don't you, Louis?

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,09:24   

Quote (Wolfhound @ Jan. 25 2011,15:22)
[SNIP]

But YOU love me, don't you, Louis?

Unreservedly and without question. And further more: RAWR, but we can talk about THAT another time.

;-)

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Wolfhound

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,09:34   

Quote (Louis @ Jan. 25 2011,10:22)
In Wolfie's defense she definitely did not start it. Heddle and FTK need to tone the {ahem} rhetoric down a notch or two I think...and that's coming from a gigantically mean, foul mouthed fucker like me.

Louis

I WAS a bit (okay, a LOT) taken aback that the response to my calling him a religiously motivated knicker twister was his calling me a "cold-hearted scumbag", a "jackass", and instructing me to "bite [him]".  Okay, so I said he was a wanker, but that just makes him one of the guys.  I will admit I was already het-up by Koncern Troll Kris so saw Heddle's post as more concern trolling.

So, anyway, I'll tone it down.  Because I'm nice.  And cuddly.  

No, really, I am.  Some of the regulars here can attest to that!

--------------

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,09:36   

Quote (Wolfhound @ Jan. 24 2011,21:43)

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 24 2011,20:49)
The point of commenting here is that I would like to think that even if I were pro-choice I would readily admit that PZ's comments were repulsive.

But, you clearly AREN'T pro-choice so projecting your own squik threshold on those who don't share your particular bias is rather pointless.

I happen to agree with PZ and you and other religiously motivated knicker twisters can get the vapours all you want. Just stay the fuck off of my fainting couch, you wankers.

But none of that was my point, which was the speculation none of the other big-name atheists would be stupid enough to write what PZ wrote. They make names for themselves by their writing with style and class. PZ by does it by shocking.

http://www.abortionaccess.info/abortionpictures.htm

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2011,09:44   

Quote (khan @ Jan. 25 2011,15:36)
Quote (Wolfhound @ Jan. 24 2011,21:43)

Quote (dheddle @ Jan. 24 2011,20:49)
The point of commenting here is that I would like to think that even if I were pro-choice I would readily admit that PZ's comments were repulsive.

But, you clearly AREN'T pro-choice so projecting your own squik threshold on those who don't share your particular bias is rather pointless.

I happen to agree with PZ and you and other religiously motivated knicker twisters can get the vapours all you want. Just stay the fuck off of my fainting couch, you wankers.

But none of that was my point, which was the speculation none of the other big-name atheists would be stupid enough to write what PZ wrote. They make names for themselves by their writing with style and class. PZ by does it by shocking.

http://www.abortionaccess.info/abortionpictures.htm

OMG Claudia!!! IT MAKES ME SOOO SAAAADD!!!

WHY, OH WHY DID YOU POST THAT HERE????????

Ahem, sorry 'bout that, please continue...

--------------

1187 replies since July 31 2008,17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (40) < ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]