RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Topic: Need spreadsheet expert, for climate data< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 27 2008,22:24   

This is off-topic so I'll post it and then delete it after a few days. Even though it's off-topic there's a good 100 or so people here with science degrees and so this shouldn't be hard for someone.

I have here 2 sets of data. Normal minimum temps for a hundred or so cities, and Normal maximum temps for the same cities. At the moment I happen to be using a computer without Mathematica or Excel but I really want to look at this data in graph form.

http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/wx/climate/mintemp.html
http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/maxtemp.html

Can anyone here do this without too much trouble?

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: July 27 2008,22:46   

What do you want graphed, min and max values by months, or an x-y plot of, say, min temp on x and max temp on y?

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 27 2008,23:03   

Good question. I left it open ended because I wasn't sure what the best way to present it would be. Maybe like each point on the x axis is a different city, and the y axis is like a a scatterplot with error bars where the bars go from annual lowest temp to annual highest temp, with an overall look like this

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: July 27 2008,23:05   

I can point to a couple of other BB's that have computer-related forums (i.e., where it's not off-topic), and regulars who would know spreadsheet related stuff.

Henry

http://www.xprodigy.net/board/viewforum.php?f=4
http://aantares.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/2786008334

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 27 2008,23:07   

thanks Henry. If nobody here can easily do this--i don't want anyone to put much work into it, because it's just for my personal use--I'll check out those forums.

Quidam

(Permalink) Posted: July 27 2008,23:41   

That's easy, I've done that for you.  the only problem is that the number of cities makes the x-axis labels illegible.  

--------------
The organized fossils ... and their localities also, may be understood by all, even the most illiterate. William Smith, Strata. 1816

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 27 2008,23:45   

Quidam, U R my Favoritez!

any format you can email that to me where i can read the city names? stevestory@gmail.com

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 27 2008,23:47   

That kind of looks like SigmaPlot formatting, btw.

csadams

(Permalink) Posted: July 28 2008,08:08   

If you're interested, MyNasaData has some datasets you can configure and display by longitude, latitude, time series, etc.  

Datasets include
- the atmosphere (Aerosols, Air Quality, Atmospheric Pressure, Atmospheric Radiation, Atmospheric Temperature, Atmospheric Water Vapor, Clouds, Precipitation)
- the biosphere (Monthly Leaf Area Index (MISR), Monthly Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (MISR));
- the cryosphere (Monthly Snow/Ice Amount (ISCCP));
- the land surface (Surface, Surface Conditions, Surface Cover, Surface Radiation), and
- the oceans (5-day Sea Level Height (TOPEX/POSEIDON), Daily Sea Surface Temperature (MCSST), Monthly Ocean Wind Speed Vectors (NOAA NOMADS), Monthly Wind Speed - Climatology 1995 to 2005 (NOAA NCDC), Weekly Sea Surface Temperature (MCSST)).

I know this doesn't answer your spreadsheet question, but if you need to do anything similar in the future maybe this resource might help.

--------------
Stand Up For REAL Science!

Quidam

(Permalink) Posted: July 28 2008,10:14   

Quote (stevestory @ July 27 2008,22:47)
That kind of looks like SigmaPlot formatting, btw.

Actually I used the 'Stock Market' chart type with hi, low and close 'prices'

I'll save it as a pdf and send it.  It would be a lot easier if you had a spreadsheet software. I can recommend Open Office - the price is right and it's excellent

--------------
The organized fossils ... and their localities also, may be understood by all, even the most illiterate. William Smith, Strata. 1816

9 replies since July 27 2008,22:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]