RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (666) < ... 310 311 312 313 314 [315] 316 317 318 319 320 ... >   
  Topic: The Bathroom Wall, A PT tradition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 20 2008,20:34   

Quote (khan @ Nov. 20 2008,21:08)
It's the same with God.  You're too hung up on the supernatural side of it though.  I'm not talking about trying to discover the supernatural, or simply labeling all mechanisms as "supernatural".  No, I'm talking about looking at the natural and gaining insights into the kind of mind that would create such wonderful things.  Now, I'm sure that these insights would probably be useless to an atheist, but to those of us who believe, such exploration is fascinating.  

I'm still waiting for HIM to heal me.  Why can't he manage that?

I've been reading the old testament lately. (Summaries, I'm not going to read the whole actual thing.) I'm pretty early in. I just got to Rahab, then Joshua v. Jericho. But my impression so far is that the more you can avoid this Yaweh fellow, the better off you'll be.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 20 2008,20:38   

Quote (khan @ Nov. 21 2008,04:08)
It's the same with God.  You're too hung up on the supernatural side of it though.  I'm not talking about trying to discover the supernatural, or simply labeling all mechanisms as "supernatural".  No, I'm talking about looking at the natural and gaining insights into the kind of mind that would create such wonderful things.  Now, I'm sure that these insights would probably be useless to an atheist, but to those of us who believe, such exploration is fascinating.  

I'm still waiting for HIM to heal me.  Why can't he manage that?

THAT NEVER HEALS!!!!

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 20 2008,21:18   

Predictions can be made from such a perspective and were made from such a position in the past.

Predictions have to logically follow from the premise, not merely from a perspective.

Such a prediction is not made from the perspective of naturalism - except from the fact that life is already observed to be orderly and organized.  It is not rational to expect it to be such if it was the product of accidents and chaos.

Argumentum ad italics? Scientists accept the current theory because:
1) the overall patterns fall within the limits implied by it (e.g., matching nested heirarchies, geographic clustering of relatives, reuse and cooption of parts when new features are produced, adequate agreement of fossil timelines with amount of genetic difference, etc.);
2) there's plenty of ways in which forces other than the known ones might have produced things that would be way outside the patterns expected from the current theory (e.g., conflicting heirarchies that can't be resolved by additional data, or that rascally creature the proverbial precambrian rabbit);
3) some fossils were found after their probably location was inferred from the theory.

The mere fact of order and organization is not the reason the current theory is accepted.

but "nature" doesn't tend towards "organization for the purpose of conveying information" - life does.

Circular argument. This argument contains the tacit assumption that life isn't nature.

Methodological naturalism studies life under the assumption that it was the product of natural forces, and then points to that life and says "see what natural forces can do!".  This is circular reasoning Bill.

No, the "natural forces" are presumed for the reasons I stated above. If that presumption were wrong, lots of contradictory evidence should have already been found over the last century and a half. That's evidence-based reasoning, whereas circular reasoning applies to deductive arguments.

If life was indeed created by a rational being - even a natural one - methodological naturalism could never discover such a thing with the limitations it is presently saddled with,

If patterns were discovered in the data that logically followed from the premise that life was engineered, then scientists would pursue that, and it would not conflict with methological naturalism to do so in that case. In the absence of any known such pattern, there would be no way to determine the prior existence of those hypothetical engineers.

Besides, what are these "limitations" of methodological naturalism? That phrase is just a fancy way of saying base your conclusions on the evidence. On what else would you suggest researchers base their conclusions, if not evidence?

Henry

Richard Simons

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 20 2008,21:37   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Nov. 20 2008,18:48)
It would appear the Republican war on the planet will continue to the very bitter end:

From CNN

(SNIP)
Then, last month, the head of the endangered species program corralled 15 experts in Washington to sort through 200,000 comments in 32 hours.
(SNIP)

Assuming that each comment was seen by just one expert and they were working for the entire 32 hours, with no breaks and no chats with neighbours, that means each comment was assessed in under 9 seconds. Did they have Superman on the job?

--------------
All sweeping statements are wrong.

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 20 2008,22:26   

Quote (Richard Simons @ Nov. 20 2008,22:37)
It would appear the Republican war on the planet will continue to the very bitter end:

From CNN

(SNIP)
Then, last month, the head of the endangered species program corralled 15 experts in Washington to sort through 200,000 comments in 32 hours.
(SNIP)

Assuming that each comment was seen by just one expert and they were working for the entire 32 hours, with no breaks and no chats with neighbours, that means each comment was assessed in under 9 seconds. Did they have Superman on the job?

Perhaps they hired Michael Behe, who of course can dismiss the comments with a wave of his hand, knowing what they all say without reading them.

ETA: Which might add a new word to the language. They've been Behed.

Edited by Lou FCD on Nov. 20 2008,23:27

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,01:07   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Nov. 20 2008,22:26)

From CNN

(SNIP)
(SNIP)

Perhaps they hired Michael Behe, who of course can dismiss the comments with a wave of his hand, knowing what they all say without reading them.

I was going to say "the Flash", but I think yours is probably the correct one.  However, I think it has more to do with Bush appointees (the "experts" that is - maybe they did a Palin and have expertise since they once saw an animal?) and disciples having reading deficiencies, so they couldn't read the comments.  However, I hear they made some beautiful paper airplanes from the printouts, before they shredded them and deleted all emails.  Everything else was classified by Cheney, who then shot the messenger in the face.

--------------
"Just think if every species had a different genetic code We would have to eat other humans to survive.." : Joe G

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,01:09   

Quote (Henry J @ Nov. 20 2008,21:18)
Besides, what are these "limitations" of methodological naturalism? That phrase is just a fancy way of saying base your conclusions on the evidence. On what else would you suggest researchers base their conclusions, if not evidence?

Henry

Dude, they are supposed to use their Faith and Religion.  Evidence can lie, but your Faith can never mislead you...  :p

--------------
"Just think if every species had a different genetic code We would have to eat other humans to survive.." : Joe G

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,03:00   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 20 2008,19:28)
Let me give you an analogy that may help you see it a little clearer

How about an example instead?

You know, your view predicts this, the view you are arguing against predicts that and here's how we can find out which is right.

That sort of thing.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,03:05   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 20 2008,19:28)
It is not rational to expect it to be such if it was the product of accidents and chaos.

Why? On what basis do you make that claim?

If you zoom right in you appear to find chaos at the heart of reality. Quantum foam and all that.

Chaos is everywhere. A reasonable observer would have to deny your observation on the balance of evidence (chaos is everywhere).

So it appears that your sky fairy likes chaos and disorder (see I can argue via italics as well).

So Daniel, back to ignoring me again are you or will you in fact answer this point?

Scientists in the past expected to find order and organization at the heart of creation.  They expected this, and predicted it, because that's what one expects if the universe and life was created by a rational being.

Then they were wrong, at the "heart" is pure chaos. So therefore it follows that the universe, by your own argument, was not created by a rational being.
chaos in nature @ scholar
Congratulations Daniel, you've just proved that your god does not exist.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,05:21   

Quote (Badger3k @ Nov. 21 2008,09:09)
Quote (Henry J @ Nov. 20 2008,21:18)

Henry

Dude, they are supposed to use their Faith and Religion.  Evidence can lie, but your Faith can never mislead you...  :p

OH HA HA 'EFN HA.

YOU CAN'T SUGGEST ds HAS NO faith JUST BECAUSE THE BIBLE SEZ U MUST IN ANY CASE..... UH EVEN IF THE EVIDENCE LIES?

ds HAS PLENTY OF FAITH, CHRIST WHOLE 200 LITER DRUMS FULL OF IT.

for HIS FAITH TO WORK THO' YOU ALL GOT TO BELIEVE IT TOO...otherwise he will lose his BOO HOO HOO.

his FAITH CONTENDS THAT IF (and only if) YOU ARE TRULY STUPID ENOUGH TO AGREE WITH HIM HE CAN PUT HIS FEET UP, SMOKE A CHEROOT AND SIP A CHILLED HOME MADE LEMONADE.

HAVING COMPLETED THAT HERCULEAN TASK WITH ITS COMENSURATE REWARD (ok only cheroots and lemonade but think of the consequences) HE CAN THEN GAZE UP AT THE STARS AND SAY .....

"SEE GOD AH DID MA JOB, MAKE SURE AH GIT THAT FREE TICKET INTO THAT BIG PINK ROOM WITH ALL TEH OTHER GAYERS UP THERE".

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,06:51   

please lord let me be in that room full of them knobby things.  and if it ain't too much trouble lord could you send up an angel every once in a while in an executioner suit with a zipper over the mouth and let him beat me with a cat o nine tails while standing on my left testicle and calling me a sinner?

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

EyeNoU

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,08:34   

From CNN

(SNIP)
(SNIP)

I think that word already exists, Lou......

As in: Like a pack of hounds on the hunt, IDC proponents went to the microphone at the Texas Board of Education hearing and Behed loudly.

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,10:49   

I found this via the link provided by Daniel very interesting but I just don't understand why there isn't any mention of God there?

[Edited for clarity]

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,12:11   

Admittedly, I'm only about halfway through the old testament, but so far, my opinion of this YHWH guy is "humongous dickhead". It's the sort of stuff that only seems righteous if you're living in an unbelievably patriarchal and violent culture. YHWH runs into the slightest problem and thinks, "Hmm...how about I murder everyone?" Yeah that's a great idea Charles Manson.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,13:11   

Quote (stevestory @ Nov. 21 2008,10:11)
Admittedly, I'm only about halfway through the old testament, but so far, my opinion of this YHWH guy is "humongous dickhead". It's the sort of stuff that only seems righteous if you're living in an unbelievably patriarchal and violent culture. YHWH runs into the slightest problem and thinks, "Hmm...how about I murder everyone?"

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,13:20   

I'll give you forty foreskins for an ass and yer two daughters.

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,13:25   

here is a den of stupid, but it's in Arden's favorite vacation destination so it is somehow relevant to something.

--------------

sledgehammer

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,13:45   

Here are a few scientific predictions made from the "God Centered Perspective"

The planetary orbits were predicted to be unstable by Isaac Newton. His hypothesis was that God must be intervening to keep the orbits stable.

Plagues, pestilence, floods and earthquakes were hypothesized to be the punishment wielded by a vengeful "rational intelligence".

--------------
The majority of the stupid is invincible and guaranteed for all time. The terror of their tyranny is alleviated by their lack of consistency. -A. Einstein  (H/T, JAD)
If evolution is true, you could not know that it's true because your brain is nothing but chemicals. ?Think about that. -K. Hovind

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,14:07   

Quote (EyeNoU @ Nov. 21 2008,09:34)

From CNN

(SNIP)
(SNIP)

As in: Like a pack of hounds on the hunt, IDC proponents went to the microphone at the Texas Board of Education hearing and Behed loudly.

Very good!

ETA: because I never can remember which sites are "[" and which are "<".

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,14:09   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Nov. 21 2008,11:25)
here is a den of stupid, but it's in Arden's favorite vacation destination so it is somehow relevant to something.

I see the recession is beginning to bite in the fundie community.  Eight speakers.  Only six wigs.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,14:36   

Quote (sledgehammer @ Nov. 21 2008,12:45)
The planetary orbits were predicted to be unstable by Isaac Newton. His hypothesis was that God must be intervening to keep the orbits stable.

As I understand it, it's the affects the planets have on each other that keeps them in more or less the same orbits. One planet by itself around a star would be unstable; it would drift either up or down due to tidal effects, the way our moon is drifting away from the Earth.

Henry

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,16:00   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Nov. 21 2008,04:05)
Congratulations Daniel, you've just proved that your god does not exist.

Way to go Danny Boy! Congrats and all that.

PARTY ON THE ROOF!

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,16:01   

Quote (EyeNoU @ Nov. 21 2008,09:34)

I thought that was "brayed" or maybe "bleated".

--------------

bfish

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,16:43   

Bob Jones University talks about its racist past.....

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,17:11   

Quote (stevestory @ Nov. 21 2008,13:11)
Admittedly, I'm only about halfway through the old testament, but so far, my opinion of this YHWH guy is "humongous dickhead". It's the sort of stuff that only seems righteous if you're living in an unbelievably patriarchal and violent culture. YHWH runs into the slightest problem and thinks, "Hmm...how about I murder everyone?" Yeah that's a great idea Charles Manson.

I actually read the entire bible once (stuck in a hotel in Cleveland in a blizzard in 1977).

Conclusion: god (as defined in the bible) is a big dick with a big dick.  A creature not worthy of worship or even civility.

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

-JoeG

Daniel Smith

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,19:12   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Nov. 20 2008,18:00)

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 20 2008,20:28)
Predictions can be made from such a perspective and were made from such a position in the past.  Scientists in the past expected to find order and organization at the heart of creation.

Daniel, observing a blue sky, then stating "I would have predicted beautiful blue skies from my God centered view" is not making a prediction. Nor does it provide an explanation.

Similarly, observing the exquisite order and complexity of living organisms all around us, then stating "I would have predicted beautiful order and complexity from my God centered view" is not making a prediction. Nor does it provide an explanation.

What I am asking you for is something simple. I don't find it in your response. I asking for an empirical prediction and resulting test of said prediction that arose uniquely (or potentially could arise) from your assertion that that life is so intricately organized it requires God as its source - a test of sufficient power to falsify your hypothesis.

Something similar to the experimental tests Miller described.

I'm not asking you to "predict" things we already know.

First off Bill, unless you start answering more of my specific arguments, I'm going to assume that the parts of my posts you snip are conceded.

Second, I am not making predictions of order, organization and complexity based on what I see in nature (this is what your side does).  I am making those predictions based on what I see rational human beings doing.  From a Christian perspective - where man is made "in the image of God" - I'd expect man to be something like God.  Man's creations are often complex, orderly, organized and beautiful, therefore I'd expect God's creations to be the same - only orders of magnitude more advanced.

You, on the other hand, have no rational reason to predict complex organization - other than the fact that it's already here.  Why can't you just be honest and admit that?

Now, I'm not smart enough to make a specific prediction about anything and then tell you how it could be empirically verified.  But I have - many times on this forum - made some general predictions (some better than others) about what I'd expect science to find in future research.  As anyone here can attest - these predictions are not based on my vast knowledge of science, but rather on my religious faith.

Here's an updated version of a file I had on my computer with some of my predictions on it.  I posted this on the horse thread, although I've now changed some of the predictions due to my evolving view of how God might have done what he did.  (Is that OK?)      
Predictions

Because Evolution is proactive and not reactive:

* Organisms will show evidence of preparation for anticipated environments; rudiments of organs not yet needed will be found.
* When confronted with environmental changes, organisms will adapt using pre-existing but unexpressed features or, they will become extinct.  No new features will evolve.
* Patterns and laws will be found that govern how evolution works.
* Lineages will be found to have begun before environments in which they later flourished began.
* Mass extinctions will have been preceded by the introduction of new types that would dominate the next phase in earth’s cycle.
* Organisms will be found to have begun an adaptive process for a specific feature before the specific adaptation would have been necessary for survival.
* Patterns will be found in the origin, differentiation and eventual extinction of lineages that are not dependent upon environmental factors but exist across all manner of differing environments, geographical locations, types of organisms and ages.

Genetically:
* Mathematical patterns useful for information integrity and transmission will be found in the genetic code.
* Embedded and overlapping coding will be found to be more prevalent than previously thought.
* Careful examination of genomes will find preparatory and adaptive codes “waiting in the wings” ready to be utilized in case of environmental changes - many just a frame shift away.
* Frame shifting will be found to be a more common mechanism for sudden evolutionary change than previously thought.
* Due to the fact that all organisms evolved from one or more “universal genomes”, the genomes of simpler organisms will contain large tracts of essentially useless evolutionary “leftovers”.  More complex organisms will have less useless information in their genomes.  
* Phylogenetic trees will produce results that will increasingly rely on gene swapping and other mechanisms that cause large scale genetic changes.
* No adequate explanation (other than design) will ever be found for the origin of life’s most basic components - i.e. protein synthesis, cell division, sexual reproduction, etc.

Universally:
* Because the earth, and the solar system were specifically designed for life, no life or signs of previous life will be found on any other planets within our field of exploration.

--------------
"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance."  Orville Wright

"The presence or absence of a creative super-intelligence is unequivocally a scientific question."  Richard Dawkins

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,19:26   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Nov. 21 2008,11:20)
I'll give you forty foreskins for an ass and yer two daughters.

Forty foreskins? Is that more or less valuable than fifty Heddles?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,19:37   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 21 2008,20:12)
Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Nov. 20 2008,18:00)

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 20 2008,20:28)
Predictions can be made from such a perspective and were made from such a position in the past.  Scientists in the past expected to find order and organization at the heart of creation.

Daniel, observing a blue sky, then stating "I would have predicted beautiful blue skies from my God centered view" is not making a prediction. Nor does it provide an explanation.

Similarly, observing the exquisite order and complexity of living organisms all around us, then stating "I would have predicted beautiful order and complexity from my God centered view" is not making a prediction. Nor does it provide an explanation.

What I am asking you for is something simple. I don't find it in your response. I asking for an empirical prediction and resulting test of said prediction that arose uniquely (or potentially could arise) from your assertion that that life is so intricately organized it requires God as its source - a test of sufficient power to falsify your hypothesis.

Something similar to the experimental tests Miller described.

I'm not asking you to "predict" things we already know.

First off Bill, unless you start answering more of my specific arguments, I'm going to assume that the parts of my posts you snip are conceded.

Second, I am not making predictions of order, organization and complexity based on what I see in nature (this is what your side does).  I am making those predictions based on what I see rational human beings doing.  From a Christian perspective - where man is made "in the image of God" - I'd expect man to be something like God.  Man's creations are often complex, orderly, organized and beautiful, therefore I'd expect God's creations to be the same - only orders of magnitude more advanced.

You, on the other hand, have no rational reason to predict complex organization - other than the fact that it's already here.  Why can't you just be honest and admit that?

Now, I'm not smart enough to make a specific prediction about anything and then tell you how it could be empirically verified.  But I have - many times on this forum - made some general predictions (some better than others) about what I'd expect science to find in future research.  As anyone here can attest - these predictions are not based on my vast knowledge of science, but rather on my religious faith.

Here's an updated version of a file I had on my computer with some of my predictions on it.  I posted this on the horse thread, although I've now changed some of the predictions due to my evolving view of how God might have done what he did.  (Is that OK?)        
Predictions

Because Evolution is proactive and not reactive:

* Organisms will show evidence of preparation for anticipated environments; rudiments of organs not yet needed will be found.
* When confronted with environmental changes, organisms will adapt using pre-existing but unexpressed features or, they will become extinct.  No new features will evolve.
* Patterns and laws will be found that govern how evolution works.
* Lineages will be found to have begun before environments in which they later flourished began.
* Mass extinctions will have been preceded by the introduction of new types that would dominate the next phase in earth’s cycle.
* Organisms will be found to have begun an adaptive process for a specific feature before the specific adaptation would have been necessary for survival.
* Patterns will be found in the origin, differentiation and eventual extinction of lineages that are not dependent upon environmental factors but exist across all manner of differing environments, geographical locations, types of organisms and ages.

Genetically:
* Mathematical patterns useful for information integrity and transmission will be found in the genetic code.
* Embedded and overlapping coding will be found to be more prevalent than previously thought.
* Careful examination of genomes will find preparatory and adaptive codes “waiting in the wings” ready to be utilized in case of environmental changes - many just a frame shift away.
* Frame shifting will be found to be a more common mechanism for sudden evolutionary change than previously thought.
* Due to the fact that all organisms evolved from one or more “universal genomes”, the genomes of simpler organisms will contain large tracts of essentially useless evolutionary “leftovers”.  More complex organisms will have less useless information in their genomes.  
* Phylogenetic trees will produce results that will increasingly rely on gene swapping and other mechanisms that cause large scale genetic changes.
* No adequate explanation (other than design) will ever be found for the origin of life’s most basic components - i.e. protein synthesis, cell division, sexual reproduction, etc.

Universally:
* Because the earth, and the solar system were specifically designed for life, no life or signs of previous life will be found on any other planets within our field of exploration.

From a Christian perspective - where man is made "in the image of God" - I'd expect man to be something like God.  Man's creations are often complex, orderly, organized and beautiful, therefore I'd expect God's creations to be the same - only orders of magnitude more advanced.

Can you explain why your fucking perfect creator came up with ulnar nerve entrapment?

--------------

-JoeG

Daniel Smith

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,19:38   

Quote (Henry J @ Nov. 20 2008,19:18)

Predictions can be made from such a perspective and were made from such a position in the past.

Predictions have to logically follow from the premise, not merely from a perspective.

Such a prediction is not made from the perspective of naturalism - except from the fact that life is already observed to be orderly and organized.  It is not rational to expect it to be such if it was the product of accidents and chaos.

Argumentum ad italics? Scientists accept the current theory because:
1) the overall patterns fall within the limits implied by it (e.g., matching nested heirarchies, geographic clustering of relatives, reuse and cooption of parts when new features are produced, adequate agreement of fossil timelines with amount of genetic difference, etc.);
2) there's plenty of ways in which forces other than the known ones might have produced things that would be way outside the patterns expected from the current theory (e.g., conflicting heirarchies that can't be resolved by additional data, or that rascally creature the proverbial precambrian rabbit);
3) some fossils were found after their probably location was inferred from the theory.

I'm guessing there are lots of conflicting hierarchies already - hence the increasing need for HGT, WGD and other "mass genomic shuffling" mechanisms.  In some ways the phylogenetic explanations remind me of the projected planetary orbits in the geocentric universe.  They got more and more bizarre.
Anyway, common descent explains much of what you're citing - but it says nothing about the mechanisms behind that descent.  A universal genome and a prescribed evolution would produce the evidence you cite.

The mere fact of order and organization is not the reason the current theory is accepted.

Of course not!  Such organization flies in the face of reason!  Organization is not a reason to accept the theory - it's a reason to reject the theory.

but "nature" doesn't tend towards "organization for the purpose of conveying information" - life does.

Circular argument. This argument contains the tacit assumption that life isn't nature.

Life is not "nature".  Life exists in nature and is made of natural components, but there is no natural reason for the organization of life.

Methodological naturalism studies life under the assumption that it was the product of natural forces, and then points to that life and says "see what natural forces can do!".  This is circular reasoning Bill.

No, the "natural forces" are presumed for the reasons I stated above. If that presumption were wrong, lots of contradictory evidence should have already been found over the last century and a half. That's evidence-based reasoning, whereas circular reasoning applies to deductive arguments.

If life was indeed created by a rational being - even a natural one - methodological naturalism could never discover such a thing with the limitations it is presently saddled with,

If patterns were discovered in the data that logically followed from the premise that life was engineered, then scientists would pursue that, and it would not conflict with methological naturalism to do so in that case.

You mean like the existence of an information carrying code at the heart of every cell?   Would that more logically follow from the premise that life was engineered or from the premise that life was the result of natural accidents?    
In the absence of any known such pattern, there would be no way to determine the prior existence of those hypothetical engineers.

Henry

The limitations are the refusal to consider anything but unguided natural mechanisms.

--------------
"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance."  Orville Wright

"The presence or absence of a creative super-intelligence is unequivocally a scientific question."  Richard Dawkins

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2008,20:59   

You mean like the existence of an information carrying code at the heart of every cell?   Would that more logically follow from the premise that life was engineered or from the premise that life was the result of natural accidents?    

So it's part of penis-god's plan from 3 billion years ago that I should be crippled? Fuck you and the god-thingy you rode in on.

--------------

-JoeG

19967 replies since Jan. 17 2006,08:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (666) < ... 310 311 312 313 314 [315] 316 317 318 319 320 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]