RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 536 537 538 539 540 [541] 542 543 544 545 546 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
franky172

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,15:47   

I heart Rob

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,16:45   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-126228

Better than "QuoteMine".. "Bad Translation"

and D*mbski gets busted in the first comment.

Loo-hoo-Ser!

26 June 2007
Cosmological ID in 1744?
scordova
This is a continuation of a discussion of Teleology and ID in physics, ID-inspired least action principles

Teleologically-inspired Least Action Principles have become very foundational in modern physics. Tipler argues, “teleology is alive and well in physics.” One of my favorite critics, Bob OH, demanded more proof ID inspired a major area of scientific research.

On April 15, 1744, the pioneer of the Principle of Least Action, Pierre Louis Moreau de Maupertuis presented:
Derivation of the laws of motion and equilibrium from a metaphysical principle

Newton states that the uniform motion of the planets reveals an Intelligent Designer…

However, the probability is not zero and, hence, the uniformity of planetary motion is not a necessary proof of an Intelligent Designer.
….
There is another consideration. The two alternatives, Intelligent Design versus pure chance, are based on our inability to find a physical cause for the uniformity of planetary motion within Newton’s system. However, other philosophers have hypothesized a fluid that transports the planets or at least regulates their motion; if true, that might explain the uniformity of planetary motion (rather than an Intelligent Designer or pure chance) and would be no more proof of God’s existence than any other motion imposed on matter.

….
Truly our perspective is limited to where we are; we cannot see far enough to appreciate the order and interconnectedness of things. If we could, we would undoubtedly find the marks of God’s wisdom as well as His intelligence in its execution. But, given our limitations, let us not confuse the two attributes. For although an infinite intelligence necessarily brings with it wisdom, a finite intelligence may yet lack wisdom; and there is as much evidence showing that the universe is a soulless machine, as showing it to be the work of an Intelligent Designer.

II. Need to Identify Proofs of God’s Existence in the General Laws of Nature; In particular, the Laws Governing Motion’s Conservation, Distribution and Destruction are Based on the Attributes of a Supreme Intelligence

We should not seek the supreme Being in little details, in the parts of the universe of whose relationships we know too little; rather, we should seek Him in universal phenomena that allow no exception and whose simplicity is entirely exposed to our view.
….
After so many great men have worked on this subject, I almost do not dare to say that I have discovered the universal principle upon which all these laws are based, a principle that covers both elastic and inelastic collisions and describes the motion and equilibrium of all material bodies.

This is the principle of least action, a principle so wise and so worthy of the supreme Being, and intrinsic to all natural phenomena; one observes it at work not only in every change, but also in every constancy that Nature exhibits. In the collision of bodies, motion is distributed such that the quantity of action is as small as possible, given that the collision occurs. At equilibrium, the bodies are arranged such that, if they were to undergo a small movement, the quantity of action would be smallest.

The laws of motion and equilibrium derived from this principle are exactly those observed in Nature. We may admire the applications of this principle in all phenomena: the movement of animals, the growth of plants, the revolutions of the planets, all are consequences of this principle. The spectacle of the universe seems all the more grand and beautiful and worthy of its Author, when one considers that it is all derived from a small number of laws laid down most wisely. Only thus can we gain a fitting idea of the power and wisdom of the supreme Being, not from some small part of creation for which we know neither the construction, usage nor its relationship to other parts. What satisfaction for the human spirit in contemplating these laws of motion and equilibrium for all bodies in the universe, and in finding within them proof of the existence of Him who governs the universe!

But Barbara Forrest and Judge Jones proved ID was an invention by creationists to get creationism taught in public schools. ID couldn’t not possibly have existed before 1980, much less 1744? YEAH RIGHT.

Creationists did indeed contribute to notions of ID, to solve important problems in science and provide arguments for the greatest scientific question of all, the existence of God.

NOTES:
1. I welcome feedback on this article. If it is a hoax, since it does seem too good to be true, I will mark it as such.

Here is the original French version Les loix du mouvement et du repos déduites d’un principe metaphysique

2. Dawkins said: “that the presence of a creative deity in the universe is clearly a scientific hypothesis. Indeed, it is hard to imagine a more momentous hypothesis in all of science.”

3. the french word “dessein” appears 4 times, and 3 times associated with the word “intelligence”. The phrase “un choix” was translated intelligent design in some cases, however, given we saw phrases like “marques d’Intelligence & de Dessein” elsewhere in the paper, and that the discussion was whether it was “choice vs. chance” I don’t think the translation unreasonable translation. Perhaps I resident French expert, Gil can weigh in.

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.

Email This Post  Print This Post
This entry was posted Tuesday, June 26th, 2007 at 2:49 pm and is filed under Intelligent Design. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
One Response

Rob

06/26/2007

4:28 pm
The point of this article seems to be that the words “Intelligent Design” and “Intelligent Designer” were being used in 1744 - hence their being highlighted 5 times in the presented text. But as footnote note 3 suggests, “design” appears only 4 times in the original. The terms “Intelligent design” or “Intelligent designer” appear anywhere in the original. The closest it gets is mention of “Intelligence, and design”.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,17:05   

Rob has some more Tard smack-down:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-126230

Jehu,
“Maybe Lerle is an anti-semitic holocaust denier. I really don’t know.” There is no “maybe” about it - the guy says that Jews are bent on world domination and Auschwitz is faked. You don’t have to take my word for this: read the man’s own writing.
“But if he is, what is the point of comparing abortion to the holocaust if the holocaust never occured? That doesn’t logically sound like a statement a holocaust denier would make.” Hmmm, maybe because logic isn’t his strength. Holocaust deniers don’t do logic.

dl,
“I thought the point of the original post was that, in parts of Europe, unpopular beliefs are being suppressed with the threat of prison.” The point of the original post seems to be that teaching Intelligent Design is, or is in on the brink of becoming, a crime (e.g. the headline: “Teaching ID = A crime against humanity”). That has nothing to do with Lerle’s case.
“Lerle was in trouble because his statements “incited the people”.” No - Lerle is in trouble because he said the holocaust didn’t happen. In Germany, that is a crime.

“That, along with the COE statement that creationist theories are “synonymous with attacks of utmost virulence on human rights”…” The COE did not say that creationist theories are “synonymous with attacks of utmost virulence on human rights”. What the COE said was “If we are not careful, creationism could become a threat to human rights, which are a key concern of the Council of Europe.” In so much as teaching creationism can violate freedom of religion, this is much the same position taken by virtually every American court which has considered the matter in the last 40 years or so.

Oh Rob, how long before the creobots see you are too beautiful for their little world?

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,17:28   

Dave! Wake up and get your lazy mesomorphic ass over to the computer! There's someone you need to ban, stat!

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,17:35   

As another pro-ID holocaust denier, it is just criminal that Larry Fafarman hasn't shown up at that thread yet.

:(

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,17:39   

larry has his own blog, ya know.

you could go over there and *ahem* notify him.

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,18:31   

Cosmological ID in 1744?
scorned'ova

What a dipshit.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,20:06   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ June 26 2007,19:31)
Cosmological ID in 1744?
scorned'ova

What a dipshit.

We struggle to elevate our language, but sometimes it's impossible to say anything else about someone like Sal.

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,20:47   

Borne is angry with Rob. It's very good tard, indeed.

Strange, though - he quotes Rob's comment which mentions a "small, hardly differentiated mass of cells". I can't see the comment anywhere in that thread. Am I missing something, or does this indicate that Rob's comment has disappeared?

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,20:59   

Quote (Ptaylor @ June 26 2007,20:47)

Strange, though - he quotes Rob's comment which mentions a "small, hardly differentiated mass of cells". I can't see the comment anywhere in that thread. Am I missing something, or does this indicate that Rob's comment has disappeared?

You’re another typical wannabe intellectual, a Darwinist ignoramus and an offensive fustilarian niggler to boot.

I gotta admit to liking the phrase:

fustilarian niggler.

I added that one to my list.

--------------

-CC

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,21:51   

Quote (Ptaylor @ June 26 2007,20:47)

It looks to me like they're transitioning from 'denial' to 'anger'.

Here's Borne the fundy's devastating rejoinder:

That is nonsense. How could he compare abortion to the holocaust if he denies the holocaust?

Now Borne is demanding that his holocaust deniers be logical, otherwise they aren't holocaust deniers. Okay, whatthefuckever.

The rest of Borne's tantrum is actually too stupid to comment on.

--------------

Jim_Wynne

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,22:04   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ June 26 2007,21:51)
The rest of Borne's tantrum is actually too stupid to comment on.

You only say that because

You’re another typical wannabe intellectual, a Darwinist ignoramus and an offensive fustilarian niggler to boot.

Link

--------------
Evolution is not about laws but about randomness on happanchance.--Robert Byers, at PT

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,22:49   

now you may not be fustilarian, but you are being a niggler by bringing that up, Jim.

;)

hmm.

are Church-Burnin', Ebola Boys fustilarian by default?

or am I now being a niggler?

--------------

-CC

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,23:03   

Quote (Ichthyic @ June 26 2007,20:59)
fustilarian niggler.

RACIST.   :angry:

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,23:11   

I reeally can't believe Larry hasn't shown up yet, after this petulant little nugget from Borne:

Lerle does not deny the holocaust - he believes it was less than reported. Less than 6 million does not = 0. Get it? Can you do basic arithmetic?

--------------

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,23:26   

indeed, larry should be attracted to that thread like a moth to a flame.

have you posted a link on his blog?

--------------

-CC

djmullen

(Permalink) Posted: June 27 2007,00:31   

Quote (Bob O'H @ June 26 2007,12:04)
http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-126199

gerardharbison

06/26/2007

9:19 am

Johannes Lerle was not convicted for teaching ID. He was not convicted for comparing abortion to the Holocaust. He was convicted for denying the Holocaust, period. If you actually look at the two web pages which formed the basis of the case against him (and can read German), you’ll learn he called Auschwitz a deception, and questioned whether the gas chambers could have killed so many Jews. Like it or not, that’s a crime in Germany.

Now, if it were me, I wouldn’t want to be seen portraying a Holocaust denier as some kind of Christian martyr, but then I’m not a Christian. In any case, you’ve now been informed of the problem; I’ll be watching to see if you fix it.

Expect to see a sflurry of new posts, now the UDites realise what WmAD's done.

Bob

Gerard and "Rob" are doing a pretty good job.  Dembski's apparently afraid to ban them.  Bourne continues to make an ass of himself, but that's not news.

Rev. BigDumbChimp

(Permalink) Posted: June 27 2007,07:22   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ June 26 2007,23:11)
I reeally can't believe Larry hasn't shown up yet, after this petulant little nugget from Borne:

Lerle does not deny the holocaust - he believes it was less than reported. Less than 6 million does not = 0. Get it? Can you do basic arithmetic?

I guess I shouldn't be amazed at the lows that the UDites stoop to.

Reducing the number of victims of the holocaust is CLASSIC denial.

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: June 27 2007,07:27   

Observations from Outside the Big Tent (includes a link showing discontent within the big tent).

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Rev. BigDumbChimp

(Permalink) Posted: June 27 2007,07:34   

Quote (carlsonjok @ June 27 2007,07:27)
Observations from Outside the Big Tent (includes a link showing discontent within the big tent).

Oh that is just too good.

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: June 27 2007,07:37   

Well, I don't want to be an offensive fustilarian niggler, but there's a great big material America-hating anti-Bush flood bearing down on the Austin and central Texas area right now. Is it unforgiveably Darwinian materialist of me to wonder about the material safety of some of our UDudes? Probably.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: June 27 2007,07:51   

Without bothering to link (it's simply so pervasive that it cannot be missed) the "Dembski's Cat" paradox is out in full force. This is where "materialism," placed in a box, is both the greatest threat to mankind and, simultaneously, dead or near death. The box is opened at the start of each post—and the direction of the post depends on the observed collapse into one of two eigenstates—"powerful and evil" materialism or "stone cold dead at the hands of the design inference" materialism.

Dembski's Cat, zero links on Google. The paradox may be pervasive, but the term may not be.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: June 27 2007,08:06   

Quote (Kristine @ June 27 2007,07:37)
Well, I don't want to be an offensive fustilarian niggler, but there's a great big material America-hating anti-Bush flood bearing down on the Austin and central Texas area right now..

While the whole Oklahoma-Texas area has had an unusually wet year (*), I think the worst flooding is in the North Texas area.  Not to say that Austin and the Hill Country aren't getting soaked, but the DFW area seems to be getting the worst.
Is it unforgiveably Darwinian materialist of me to wonder about the material safety of some of our UDudes? Probably.

No, that is your inner Christian trying to get out.  Just ignore it. :p

(*) My neighbors weather station has recorded over 29 inches of rain so far this year.  Normal yearly levels in OKC are around 32-33 inches.  After last year's drought I am trying not too grouse, but geez.......

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 27 2007,09:51   

Borne digs in with his "it's-not-holocaust-denial-if-he-admits-a-FEW-Jews-were-killed" stance:

If he is minimizing the holocaust statistics then he cannot be denying the holocaust altogether.

The guy compared abortion to the holocaust. So this cannot be a total denial of the holocaust.

Since Bill & DT apparently aren't paying attention, Borne the Tarde scrambles to change the subject:

Borne
06/27/2007
8:42 am
I agree with the others who have mentioned the original point of this thread. It’s about intolerance and suppression of ideas and speech and the relation to the CoE’s schemes against ID - not Lerle per se.

So I leave off discussing with these die hard Darwinists over Lerle’s charge of holocaust denial with regards to his anti-abortion speeches (clearly in the reports).

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 27 2007,10:17   

Now Jerry joins the "let's change the subject and talk about abortion" bandwagon:

Jerry
06/27/2007
10:07 am
gerardharbison.

I agree that the comments you posted about Lerles are that of a nutcase and should be dealt with accordingly but imprisonment seems extreme to us in the US for such an offense. We could rid the streets of a lot of people in the US for making similar types of accusations.

The real issue is the attempt of the COE to marginalize dissent and as Patrick said above, Lerles is a side show meant to distract from the basic issue.

Another side issue is what is the truth in the past jail terms of those who have opposed abortion. Was it for verbal opposition only or was it for something more extreme such as physical actions. It is one thing to oppose abortion and call it murder, another to march within a certain distance of an abortion clinic and another to shoot an abortion doctor. It would be interesting to see how many and for what, people received jail sentences. It may be all hyperbole or it could be pernicious to dissent.

"Lerles is a side show meant to distract from the basic issue"? Um, Dembski is the one who brought him up.

--------------

Jim_Wynne

(Permalink) Posted: June 27 2007,10:18   

Quoth Heddle :
Shame on Uncommon Descent for making itself so easy to mock.

And shame on Heddle for making it more difficult to mock him.

--------------
Evolution is not about laws but about randomness on happanchance.--Robert Byers, at PT

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 27 2007,10:26   

And shame on Heddle for making it more difficult to mock him.

I know. That's typical of the underhanded rhetorical tricks that he's always pulling.  :angry:

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 27 2007,11:00   

More JerTard:

jerry
06/27/2007
10:27 am
gerardharbison,

Interesting response. You reveal more about yourself by this comment than all the previous comments.

Translated: "I really wish I had a devastating retort here, but I don't, so I'll just make a sly insinuation, to give the impression that I actually have some thought in my head, and hope no one notices".

--------------

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: June 27 2007,11:53   

Quote (carlsonjok @ June 27 2007,08:06)

Well, I don't want to be an offensive fustilarian niggler, but there's a great big material America-hating anti-Bush flood bearing down on the Austin and central Texas area right now..

While the whole Oklahoma-Texas area has had an unusually wet year (*), I think the worst flooding is in the North Texas area.  Not to say that Austin and the Hill Country aren't getting soaked, but the DFW area seems to be getting the worst.

Update:  The central Texas area is getting pounded today, including counties just north of Austin.

I can't help but contrast this with last summer when all of Texas, save Houston and Corpus Christi, seemed completely brown.  That reminded me of this.  Perhaps someone should contact WorldNetDaily and ask for a Day of Prayer and Fasting for Not Rain.

--------------

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: June 27 2007,12:06   

Quote (carlsonjok @ June 27 2007,11:53)
Quote (carlsonjok @ June 27 2007,08:06)

Update:  The central Texas area is getting pounded today, including counties just north of Austin.

I can't help but contrast this with last summer when all of Texas, save Houston and Corpus Christi, seemed completely brown.  That reminded me of this.  Perhaps someone should contact WorldNetDaily and ask for a Day of Prayer and Fasting for Not Rain.

I wonder how DS will weave this into his GWDenial complex. Will his sycophants want to hear it from him just now I wonder?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 536 537 538 539 540 [541] 542 543 544 545 546 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]