RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (666) < ... 318 319 320 321 322 [323] 324 325 326 327 328 ... >   
  Topic: The Bathroom Wall, A PT tradition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Daniel Smith

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,14:03   

Quote (khan @ Nov. 30 2008,10:46)
Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 30 2008,13:41)

Quote (Lou FCD @ Nov. 29 2008,17:57)

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 29 2008,20:53)
 Only a designer can organize complex materials for specific function.  Forces of nature don't do this.  

Can you show some evidence for this other than the say so of some random internet crank?

I can show that a designer can organize complex materials for specific function.  I cannot show that anything else can.  Can you?

Can you show us all the steps/methods thereof?

Sure.  Right now a designer is typing out a message on a computer keyboard.  Then he will proofread it.  After that he'll post it.  By the time you see it, all these things will have been done.  Is that detailed enough?  Or do you need to know more about how design works?

--------------
"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance."  Orville Wright

"The presence or absence of a creative super-intelligence is unequivocally a scientific question."  Richard Dawkins

Daniel Smith

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,15:24   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Nov. 30 2008,11:02)

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 30 2008,13:41)

Quote (Lou FCD @ Nov. 29 2008,17:57)

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 29 2008,20:53)
 Only a designer can organize complex materials for specific function.  Forces of nature don't do this.  

Can you show some evidence for this other than the say so of some random internet crank?

I can show that a designer can organize complex materials for specific function.  I cannot show that anything else can.  Can you?

You're assuming that life has a specific function, for starters. You haven't even asserted what constitutes a specific function, let alone demonstrated that life (or anything else) has one.

What is my specific function, Daniel? Says who?

What is the specific function of life in general?

What is the specific function of Ceres, and how does that differ?

You certainly serve a specific function: Entertainment for the intelligent, educated segment of the culture.

Like your every post, this one is just more handwaving and bald assertions, conclusions used as assumptions, mouthfoaming and general tarditude.

At least you're consistant.

LOL!

I guess you're arguing that no one will be able to find a specific function for the liver?  Or the kidneys?  Or that no one knows of a specific function for blood coagulation proteins?  Or for skin, or muscles, or cell walls, eyeballs, nerves, limbs, DNA, RNA, Ribosomes, enzymes?

I guess these guys were wrong when they found a specific function for ROCK1?      
Our findings present a new molecular mechanism by which ROCK1 functions as a UVB sensor that regulates apoptosis, an important event in the prevention of skin cancer.

Then there's these guys:    
We have identified a nuclear signaling mechanism through which the low-density lipoprotein receptor–related protein 1 (LRP1) limits transcription of lipopolysaccharide (LPS)–inducible genes.

And what about  these guys who even dared to use the word “purpose” in the title of their paper: (gasp!)      
An All-Purpose Tool for Axon Guidance…
Recent studies reveal that p75NTR is a versatile co-receptor that controls signaling by receptors for multiple ligands that provide repellant guidance cues to developing axons.

My, oh my!  I have to stop looking at the scientific literature!  It’s chock full of this misguided notion that there are specific functions and purposes for life’s parts and pieces.  I guess they just don’t know that none of life’s pieces have identifiable functions!  

Maybe you should tell them!

You know what, I’ve thought about it and you're right: I can't imagine a specific function for any part of life.  I guess I was way off!  Thanks so much for setting me straight.  I'm ready to become an evotard!!

(disengages brain - no specific function for that!)  

YIPEE!!  Fairy tales are true!  Life does come from rocks!  WEE!!

--------------
"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance."  Orville Wright

"The presence or absence of a creative super-intelligence is unequivocally a scientific question."  Richard Dawkins

Daniel Smith

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,15:31   

Quote (Richard Simons @ Nov. 30 2008,11:53)
Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 30 2008,13:27)
The "God theory" predicts that there will be organization for function at the heart of everything.  It predicts that life's designs will be analogous to human designs - only far superior.

Are you saying that if we can find some aspect of living organisms that is designed worse than humans could have done, the existence of God will have been disproved?

Were not arguing about "the existence of God", we're arguing whether life was created by God or not.  If you can show that man can design life better than God did, that would disprove God's design of life.  His existence is a whole other matter.

It has to be a workable design though.  You have to actually demonstrate the better design in a living system and be able to show how it is better and why.  It must do everything the original design did - only better.

--------------

mitschlag

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,16:02   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 30 2008,15:31)
Were not arguing about "the existence of God", we're arguing whether life was created by God or not.

But, but, but...

If one does not presuppose the existence of whatever entity is meant by the term "God," there is no argument.

--------------
"You can establish any “rule” you like if you start with the rule and then interpret the evidence accordingly." - George Gaylord Simpson (1902-1984)

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,16:03   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 29 2008,19:53)

I've given you the mechanism.  

Yes, you said

Maybe with his fingers?  

Or did you have a different mechanism in mind?

I can show that my mechanism can organize complex materials for specific function.

Go on then. Don't just say it. Show it. Give us an example. Or ten examples. Or 100. Bet ya can't.

Given the organization of complex materials for specific function, we can detect design anywhere.

Well, go on then. Detect design. You were shown some pictures of rocks that had arranged "themselves" into patterns like the patters you said can only come about from intelligent design. Apply your "science" of design detection and show they in fact were not designed.

Daniel, can you name a object that is *not* designed?

Essentially you're saying that if we don't know the history of something, that 'something' is miraculous.

Let there be light....

It requires what only God has.  Life requires what only God has.

So say you.

The "God theory" predicts that there will be organization for function at the heart of everything.

Would you mind telling me what the "God theory" has to say about the cancer in Tasmanian Devils that is spread by biting? animals inject cancer cells into each other when they engage in mating battles. What function is that performing?

It predicts that life's designs will be analogous to human designs - only far superior.

At what date? If humanity is around a million years from now I kinda suspect it'll be pissing on "human designs". So does that mean your god only exists until human technology outdoes him? Then humans become gods? Remember, we already discovered your god is a geek, remember that Danny boy?

In essence it predicts that life's technology and complexity are consistent with what we would expect from a creative being of infinite intelligence.

This joker puts the anus next to the vagina. The breathing tube combines with the food tube. Perhaps that sort of being does have "infinite intelligence" compared to, well, you. To me it seems a bit dumb.

We've been over this several times now Bill and you refuse to acknowledge my answers.  You keep repeating the "no answers, no theory, no evidence" mantra despite being given all of the above repeatedly.  Try listening.

That's not "evidence". Just words on a message board where 99% of the people ignore you. If you had "evidence" you could make your case in the only battleground that counts. You do not and have not.    
Maybe you should go back and reread my posts where I already addressed this and the other issues you're regurgitating here.  Are you really that stupid?  Or do you just play dumb in front of your internet friends?

Projecting much Danny boy?
You've already conceded 99% of the points raised against your arguments, such as they are, by simply ignoring them. As per your own rules, remember? I bet that really galls you eh? Still, live by the sword...

I addressed this as well.  Remember "endless appeals to future knowledge"?  At some point a theory has to generate sufficient explanatory power or else be abandoned.  Kudos to you for ignoring everything you don't want to hear.

DNA was only discovered recently, comparatively speaking. You and yours have had over 2000 years clutching your old book to your chest and all you managed was slavery, abuse of women and sundry other atrocities.  I say we give this theory you say does not have "sufficient explanatory power" a little more time yet before we abandon it and go back to the dark ages, as you obviously desire.    
So, you say something.  I address it.  You snip my comments and pretend I've ignored your argument.  I see.  Your head is buried in the sand Bill.  

Might need a new lamp for that projector soon Danny.

In the meantime, no one here has addressed my original challenge.  So Bill, rather than ignore me again for the hundredth time, how about you explain how natural processes produced some complex living system?  It could be anything Bill.  Any living system.  ANYTHING!  (Am I being too specific?)

The information is all out there. You just have to open your eyes and see it. Go back to school, child.

You've got all your strawmen and non sequiturs lined up against any thought of design, yet you yourself give credence to design by not being able to give an account of how anything originated naturally.  

When asked how things originated via design you said god did it with his fingers for all you know. When asked how did X originate you can simply respond "god did it". Trouble is, the adults amongst us are not satisfied with that. Even if you believe in god "god did it" is an answer only for the most mindless buffoon. People like that did not drag us out of the stone age. People like you try to keep us in it.    
That's some pretty large lacunae Bill - it's just the nuts and bolts of your theory!  I guess ignorance is bliss when it comes to those little details eh Bill?

Tell you what, child. You ask a specific question and you might get a specific answer.

For example, here is a question from a biology examination

13) i) Draw and clearly label all axes of an adaptive landscape. ii) Describe the three important phases of the shifting balance theory of evolution proposed by Sewall Wright. iii) Describe the population structure of two different species in which shifting balance is likely to be important and unimportant, respectively. Answers should contain no more than i) a small drawing, ii) three short phrases and iii) one short sentence. (20 points; ·= 200)

Final Exam May 13, 1996
If you can't answer that question which thousands of actual students were faced with (or similar) what hope you will be able to understand that which you are demanding?

Don't you realise how foolish you are making yourself look (and I've not even read the rest of your comments yet)?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,16:07   

Sure.

Ah, pride.

Right now a designer is typing out a message on a computer keyboard.

I note that even you won't go so far as to call yourself an "intelligent designer". I guess subconsciously you realise...

Then he will proofread it.

Elegantly?

After that he'll post it.  By the time you see it, all these things will have been done.  Is that detailed enough?  Or do you need to know more about how design works?

There are an almost infinite number of causal pathways up to that point. The ceiling may have collapsed in exactly the right sequence to hit the keyboard to post the message.

And that's design is it? What about design detection? How does one go about detecting design? Can you give an example or are you all talk? You request detailed accounts from others of things that you know do not exist to the level of detail you claim you need to be convinced (and we all know that you will never be convinced) but ignore requests for similar from you.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,16:09   

Isn't the development of a complete, complex body from just a single cell an example of what chemistry alone can accomplish without any outside help?

OK, the first cell in body development is special, but it nevertheless is just a cell, a descendant of the first cells ever to inhabit this planet some 3 to 4 billion years ago.

Is it really that difficult to understand how the forces of nature have caused some modifications to be incorporated in the descendants of the first cells?

Who knows all the possible pathways of evolution and can say with conviction that none of them are viable? Danny!

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,16:10   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 30 2008,13:58)
Again, you're willing to take for granted that, what so far have been the most general of suggested pathways, can scale the insurmountable peaks that block real plausible pathways from chemicals to life.

Quit putting words in my mouth. I'm willing to look at the evidence. I'm willing to argue, from historical precedent, that science will continue to produce evidence. On the other hand, if you were to argue from historical precedent, you would have to admit that there has been no progress, no evidence, and no enlightenment generated by your explanation in the last 5 centuries.

Your argument from analogy is simply wrong.

You guys don't like the analogy to human inventions because it is such a strong one.  That's why you have to keep forcing the non sequitur about causal history.

No, I don't like it because it is not an argument. Your conclusion (it has to be designed) is the same as your hypothesis. Note what's missing (again). Evidence.  Got any?      

Angels are not needed to push the planets around;

Never mentioned anything about angels pushing planets around.  I'm used to strawmen, but this is a doozy!

Perhaps you are really as thick as you seem, so I'll explain this one too. Your god and his minions have been assigned tasks in the past that we now know do not require divine intervention for an explanation. Planetary orbits. Lightning. Diseases. The list is long, and getting longer; your god is being forced into a smaller and smaller job description every day. How small will the gap be before you comprehend that this is also a losing argument?

god is not needed to produce organization and self-replicating systems.

Show me something that does just that and I'll be quiet.
You've been shown plenty, but cannot see.               

In fact, if design (from a human perspective) is needed before you can identify god's handiwork, how do you know that he/she/it designed objects in the inanimate world that seemingly have no design? Or do you just take that on faith as well?

All of these things - in fact everything that is - has organization for specific function at its core.  There's purpose in everything.  We are a long way from knowing even a fraction of what those purposes might be, but I predict we will find a purpose for everything we study.  This is the "God theory" in essence.

There's no theory there, Daniel. There is nothing but fantasy. Why do you pretend that everything needs a purpose? How can you type such notions without drooling on the keyboard?

BTW, why did you snip my enzyme example?  Did it make you uncomfortable?  Did you struggle with "imagining a pathway"?  If you can't explain one enzyme, what can you explain?

Because you don't understand evidence, or even the concept of evidence. You've yet to provide a shred of evidence for your notions, yet you persist in claiming that the evidence is all around us. Why should anyone waste their time drawing pictures for you, when your blinders make it impossible for you to see?

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,16:15   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 30 2008,15:24)
LOL!

I guess you're arguing that no one will be able to find a specific function for the liver?  Or the kidneys?  Or that no one knows of a specific function for blood coagulation proteins?  Or for skin, or muscles, or cell walls, eyeballs, nerves, limbs, DNA, RNA, Ribosomes, enzymes?

I guess these guys were wrong when they found a specific function for ROCK1?          
Our findings present a new molecular mechanism by which ROCK1 functions as a UVB sensor that regulates apoptosis, an important event in the prevention of skin cancer.

Then there's these guys:        
We have identified a nuclear signaling mechanism through which the low-density lipoprotein receptor–related protein 1 (LRP1) limits transcription of lipopolysaccharide (LPS)–inducible genes.

And what about  these guys who even dared to use the word “purpose” in the title of their paper: (gasp!)          
An All-Purpose Tool for Axon Guidance…
Recent studies reveal that p75NTR is a versatile co-receptor that controls signaling by receptors for multiple ligands that provide repellant guidance cues to developing axons.

My, oh my!  I have to stop looking at the scientific literature!  It’s chock full of this misguided notion that there are specific functions and purposes for life’s parts and pieces.  I guess they just don’t know that none of life’s pieces have identifiable functions!  

Maybe you should tell them!

You know what, I’ve thought about it and you're right: I can't imagine a specific function for any part of life.  I guess I was way off!  Thanks so much for setting me straight.  I'm ready to become an evotard!!

(disengages brain - no specific function for that!)  

YIPEE!!  Fairy tales are true!  Life does come from rocks!  WEE!!

For fucks sake Daniel.

What is the specific function of the liver? If your designer was infinitely intelligent why would we even need a liver? If life was designed by such a being one would expect that the organism would not need to ingest food, it would be created with all the energy it requires to function for it's entire life from the start. I'm sure that even you could think of a 100 things that could be done better if starting from scratch. But for some reason your designer chose to make everything indistinguishable from that which might have evolved anyway.

I think you are close to the breakdown you know. Even you must realise this pathetic attempt to shift the spotlight is particularly dismal.

I can't imagine a specific function for any part of life.

What is the specific function of cancer?

What is the specific function of HIV?

What is the specific function of althizemers disease?

What is the specific function of the Vagus nerve in a giraffe?

So, once again, why did you infinitely intelligent designer put the food pipe next to the breathing pipe? What specific function was fulfilled there?

Daniel, in your world it appears that the specific function of a car is to make noise, smoke and consume fuel.

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,16:23   

Just a thought, but I suspect that Daniel is looking for a "no rejoinder" moment where he can post his crap, wait a suitable length of time and walk away for good, satisfied that his last post settled the matter. And then in his own mind his worldview resisted all comers and beat them down.

The thing is Daniel, and only speaking for myself, is that perhaps the sort of people who become scientists are also the sort of people who will never ever let you get away with that. Who will take pride (or pity) in giving you the information that refutes your claims, by patiently explaining once again a difficult concept because the one thing they can't stand is ignorance. And you have ignorance to spare.

I might have to start a blog just to go over some of your best moments Daniel. Perhaps only you and me would ever read it but I'm sure it would burn you up something rotten. And all the laughs are right here permanently. You are becoming AFDave Daniel. Except you are not as amusing.

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,16:24   

This joker puts the anus next to the vagina. The breathing tube combines with the food tube. Perhaps that sort of being does have "infinite intelligence" compared to, well, you. To me it seems a bit dumb.

We've established that god is male.  

He therefor has a penis, vas deferens, testes, and prostate? Does god's prostate create all the problems for him as it does for mere mortals? Does that explain why he seems to always be in a bad mood?

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,16:37   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 30 2008,14:27)

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Nov. 30 2008,06:04)

Let's tote up the recent arguments I've made that, by your own standards (no response), you have have conceded:

- ID/god theory provides no causal story (mechanism) other than uttering "design." It therefore completely fails as explanation for the origins and evolution of life.

I've given you the mechanism.  I can show the exact same mechanism in action.  I can show that my mechanism can organize complex materials for specific function.

Sorry Daniel. "Just as people design things, God designed things" isn't a mechanism. "People design things" has a causal story behind it - the actual history of the representational and planning procedures we call design, and the execution of those procedures. That is exactly what is missing from your tale. It must remain missing, because the supernatural agency that you assert is, by definition, not amenable to the constraints entailed in constructing such a causal story. The analogy fails.

I can show that my mechanism can organize complex materials for specific function.

Because the analogy fails, that demonstration has no relevance to the question of supernatural design.

- Ordinary design detection works because of background knowledge and inferences about the designers. We lack that with respect to supernatural design.

That's bull and you know it.  Just because we know a lot about "ordinary" designers does not mean we could not detect design elsewhere under different circumstances.  It's a non sequitur.

Ordinary design elsewhere, by unknown authors? Perhaps (as I said before vis Stonehenge on Mars), because we can infer a causal history similar to our own, and hope to support or disconfirm those inferences with further observations.

Supernatural design? Not so much. No plausible causal story capable of being constrained by empirical facts has been advanced analogous to the above, and never can be. (Does god slip a pencil behind his ear?)

The fact that 15 years of ID theory has produced no examples of the formal application of "design detection" - zero, zip, nada - in a world supposedly awash in "designed" organisms should also tell you something.

- Design and agency, and the products of design and agency, emerging without a causal history are no less miraculous and supernatural than matter and energy poofing into existence at God's whim.

Essentially you're saying that if we don't know the history of something, that 'something' is miraculous.  Another non sequitur.

The non-sequitur is yours. I am saying that design originating from supernatural agency is no less supernatural than God's willful poofatude of matter and energy from nothing.

It is not that we don't know the history (if knowable in a scientific sense, then that history is essentially a natural history), it is that you are postulating a process that is, by definition, without a natural history. Something that arises devoid of a natural history of any kind is 'miraculous,' by definition.

- Front loading fails because the contingent and inherently unpredictable physical circumstances that adaptations must track over time demand implausible foreknowledge of, or control over, those circumstances on the part of the designer.

It requires what only God has.  Life requires what only God has.

Now respond to the problem I described for front loading.

- Numerous examples of predictions and tests of predictions made from the perspective of evolutionary theory have been citied. No testable predictions originate from "God theory."

The "God theory" predicts that there will be organization for function at the heart of everything.

Again, "predicting" things we already know (that life displays extremely complex functional organization) is not prediction.

(Everything? Stones? Rivers? Gingivitis? Everything?)

In essence it predicts that life's technology and complexity are consistent with what we would expect from a creative being of infinite intelligence.

Also, one doesn't "predict" one's conclusion.

I am referring to a testable empirical prediction, which you have amply demonstrated you are unable to produce.  

- More generally, theories invoking the supernatural are incapable of guiding research, because any observation can be reconciled with the action of an "all powerful" being capable of moving matter and energy by acts of will.

Maybe you should go back and reread my posts where I already addressed this and the other issues you're regurgitating here.  Are you really that stupid?  Or do you just play dumb in front of your internet friends?

I must have missed it. I don't recall you addressing the problem that any observation can be reconciled with the action of an "all powerful" being capable of moving matter and energy by acts of will. And I don't see any examples above of unique, testable empirical predictions arising from "God theory" in any of your posts that have, or in principle could, usefully guide scientific research. I do recall you stating that you are unable to supply any. I must have missed your revision. Please repeat.

- It is not enough to point to lacunae - even large lacunae - within an otherwise fertile and productive theoretical framework to reject that framework. Also needed is a competing framework that accounts for all of the facts and data subsumed by the prior framework, fills some of those lacunae, and generates unique, testable empirical hypotheses and predictions that have the potential guide further empirical work (extra points for ignoring this about a dozen times).

I addressed this as well.  Remember "endless appeals to future knowledge"?  At some point a theory has to generate sufficient explanatory power or else be abandoned.  Kudos to you for ignoring everything you don't want to hear.

"Addressing this" consists of supplying the alternate theory, showing how it accounts for the data already accounted for by the current theory, showing that it fills additional lacunae present in the current theory, and specifying the unique, testable empirical hypotheses and predictions that emerge from your alternative that have the potential to guide further work.

Your response is yet one more claim regarding the failure of current theory, and hence recapitulates the very problem I point to in my 'lacunae' remark. You haven't addressed this at all.

In the meantime, no one here has addressed my original challenge.

Also in the meantime, contemporary empirical research on these topics many have alluded to here (such as work on the blood clotting cascade described by Kenneth Miller and other papers we have examined here) continues apace - yielding new knowledge every day. It is hard work, much more difficult than spouting reactionary armchair bullshit, and it goes where it goes and yields what it yields. Our burden is to show that the framework is fertile and continues to yield that new empirical knowledge, not to satisfy your demand for the finished work. No one claims that we see solutions to all existing problems. Nor do we need to make that claim.

The only party appealing to "future knowledge" to support his argument is you, Daniel, when you "predict" outcomes that can't be known until the end of history.

[Edits of this and that]

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,16:41   

http://DanielSmithsCreationistInanity.blogspot.com/

Har har har. I can type faster then you can Danny boy. More soon. There is plenty of source material.

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,16:48   

Meanwhile, all you are saying is equivalent to 'I went by broomstick'.

A sweeping statement if ever there was one!

Henry

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,17:11   

For Daniel however "going by broomstick" might be a viable option, insofar as he likely believes in witches...

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

EyeNoU

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,17:13   

Has Daniel addressed why he keeps referring to the designer in singular?

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,17:16   

Quote (EyeNoU @ Nov. 30 2008,17:13)

No, by his own rules he conceded he had no answer for that.

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,17:18   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Nov. 30 2008,18:16)
Quote (EyeNoU @ Nov. 30 2008,17:13)

No, by his own rules he conceded he had no answer for that.

I neglected to underscore that concession.

I'd say that if you claim an explanatory mechanism, you should be able to say something firm about your explanation, and support that with evidence. If, conversely, you are unable to, say, distinguish between one God or a quadrillion (one for each organism), you don't really have a claim at all.

So, Daniel, what's your empirical evidence that it was one God, and not a quadrillion, that authored life like little automobiles?

(No response. Yay!)

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,18:01   

The breathing tube combines with the food tube.

That combination does have one advantage: it lets a person keep breathing when the nasal passages are stopped up.

Henry

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,18:20   

uh, aside from your gumming it up, that doesn't answer any of my questions, Daniel.

What is my specific purpose?

What is the specific purpose of Ceres?

Says who?

What constitutes a "specific purpose"?

And let's add OldMan's list to that.

Quote (oldman @ Nov. 30 2008,17:15)

So, once again, why did you infinitely intelligent designer put the food pipe next to the breathing pipe? What specific function was fulfilled there?

Are you really going with the argument that if something does stuff, that's its specific purpose?

You might want to reconsider that.

Daniel, in your world it appears that the specific function of a car is to make noise, smoke and consume fuel.

and baseballs are designed for the specific purpose of breaking windows, apparently.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,18:28   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Nov. 30 2008,19:20)
uh, aside from your gumming it up, that doesn't answer any of my questions, Daniel.

What is my specific purpose?

What is the specific purpose of Ceres?

Says who?

What constitutes a "specific purpose"?

And let's add OldMan's list to that.

Are you really going with the argument that if something does stuff, that's its specific purpose?

You might want to reconsider that.

and baseballs are designed for the specific purpose of breaking windows, apparently.

And median nerves and ulnar nerves are designed for the specific purpose of turning otherwise healthy 70 year olds into cripples?

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

-JoeG

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,18:47   

Or spinal discs that herniate inwards toward the spinal cord? What is the specific purpose of that, other than to cause excruciating pain for no apparent reason? Is the designer just a sadist?

For that matter, what is the specific purpose of the shape of the human spine itself, because it sure doesn't seem optimal for walking upright. I mean, I'm just finishing up Bio 111, and I've never designed a spine, but them dudes in Japan seem to do it differently. I would call them intelligent designers, because the spines in their robots are much better designed. They're even made of metal! They don't break when the robot falls down! Much better design than the human spine, if you ask me.

Damned thing looks almost like it was originally used by a quadruped or something, who one day decided he needed to stand up and see a little further. Lions and stuff in the tall grass, maybe. In fact, it looks an awful lot like maybe the quadrupeds who could stand a little higher and see a little further tended to get eaten less, and tended to live long enough to breed more. Y'know, if those quadrupeds survived because they stood a little higher and saw a little further, they would probably wind up breeding with other quadrupeds who stood a little higher and saw a little further because they tended to not get eaten as much either. Then they'd tend to have babies who grew up to stand a little higher and see a little further, and get eaten less, and live long enough to breed with other babies who stood a little higher and saw a little further, ....

but that's just silly.

Actually, the truth about the human spine is that the designer is an incompetent moron.

--------------

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,18:59   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Nov. 30 2008,19:47)
Or spinal discs that herniate inwards toward the spinal cord? What is the specific purpose of that, other than to cause excruciating pain for no apparent reason? Is the designer just a sadist?

For that matter, what is the specific purpose of the shape of the human spine itself, because it sure doesn't seem optimal for walking upright. I mean, I'm just finishing up Bio 111, and I've never designed a spine, but them dudes in Japan seem to do it differently. I would call them intelligent designers, because the spines in their robots are much better designed. They're even made of metal! They don't break when the robot falls down! Much better design than the human spine, if you ask me.

Damned thing looks almost like it was originally used by a quadruped or something, who one day decided he needed to stand up and see a little further. Lions and stuff in the tall grass, maybe. In fact, it looks an awful lot like maybe the quadrupeds who could stand a little higher and see a little further tended to get eaten less, and tended to live long enough to breed more. Y'know, if those quadrupeds survived because they stood a little higher and saw a little further, they would probably wind up breeding with other quadrupeds who stood a little higher and saw a little further because they tended to not get eaten as much either. Then they'd tend to have babies who grew up to stand a little higher and see a little further, and get eaten less, and live long enough to breed with other babies who stood a little higher and saw a little further, ....

but that's just silly.

Actually, the truth about the human spine is that the designer is an incompetent moron.

And let's not forget that a lot of the 'design' flaws that cripple us don't show up until age 45+ when most folks have already done their breeding..

--------------

-JoeG

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,21:21   

Quote (khan @ Dec. 01 2008,02:59)
Quote (Lou FCD @ Nov. 30 2008,19:47)

but that's just silly.

And let's not forget that a lot of the 'design' flaws that cripple us don't show up until age 45+ when most folks have already done their breeding..

Ha mere Woman!..... except for Daniels g$d !

Remember HE fathered Jesus Christ when HE was at least 13 or so BILLION YEARS FUCKING OLD!!!!

Add to the list .....not only did HE line up all the little wiggly, smelly things in some FUCKING TEST TUBE at the dawn of LIFE here on FUCKING EARTH with a message to that included

"High there everyone, when you all evolve a priest who can write I'VE GOT SOME GREAT NEWS" ©  one very old naked hairy homeless man aka g$d

"I OWN YOU MOFOS"©one very old naked hairy homeless man aka g$d

Yes not just that...

"I MADE EVERY SINGLE ATOM FROM NOTHING (using 'natural processes©' indestinguishable from....... er 'natural processes©' LINED IT UP BY GOD KNOWS HOW TO MAKE YOUR FUCKING INSIGNIFANT LITTLE PLANET SO I COULD PLAY OUT THE FINAL CHAPTER OF THIS COSMIC COMEDY FOR DANIELS PLEASURE.

TEST TUBE CREATION"©  one very old naked hairy homeless man aka g$d

Daniel you have logically painted yourself into a corner.

Daniel your definition for god is equivalent to life itself.

Daniel go back and exchange your word 'g$d' for 'life'.

Daniel is that what your g$d in your interpretation bible wants from you?

Daniel be honest you have reduced g$d to a figure of speech, where is the praise, the respect, g$d's wishes?

OH I GET IT you came here to convert us not to actually discuss life but G$D?

OK so explain how G$D lined up the atoms to make the universe..

FUCK YOU"RE STUPID DANIEL.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,21:22   

Hey, on an unrelated note, how detrimental is choking a peer reviewer in the real world? Like, is that necessarily an obstacle to having a paper published?

Further, how applicable is that to say... oh I dunno, a Bio 111 lab, as a completely random and totally hypothetical fer instance?

I mean, just hypothetically, let's say you spend an entire discussion paragraph on the possible implications of room temperature on experiment results, and then also say something like, "blah blah blah, which may indicate an as yet unidentified procedural flaw." And then let's say you write another paragraph suggesting that the experiment be repeated, temperature tracked, and meta-analysis of procedure and conditions would be indicated.

And then let's say the hypothetical peer reviewer writes a hypothetical comment a half an inch away that says something like, "Are these two paragraphs supposed to be potential source and further experiments proposed? If temperature weren't measured, account for something else as potential source of error. What if temp was good? Could have been something else still."

Surely you wouldn't be denied publication because of momentary insanity, right?

right?

there is no crying in baseball or bio lab. there is no crying in baseball or bio lab.

--------------

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,21:49   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Dec. 01 2008,05:22)
Hey, on an unrelated note, how detrimental is choking a peer reviewer in the real world? Like, is that necessarily an obstacle to having a paper published?

Further, how applicable is that to say... oh I dunno, a Bio 111 lab, as a completely random and totally hypothetical fer instance?

I mean, just hypothetically, let's say you spend an entire discussion paragraph on the possible implications of room temperature on experiment results, and then also say something like, "blah blah blah, which may indicate an as yet unidentified procedural flaw." And then let's say you write another paragraph suggesting that the experiment be repeated, temperature tracked, and meta-analysis of procedure and conditions would be indicated.

And then let's say the hypothetical peer reviewer writes a hypothetical comment a half an inch away that says something like, "Are these two paragraphs supposed to be potential source and further experiments proposed? If temperature weren't measured, account for something else as potential source of error. What if temp was good? Could have been something else still."

right?

there is no crying in baseball or bio lab. there is no crying in baseball or bio lab.

Hypothetically?

Let's say you are peeling carrots in your kitchen with a machette and it falls into your sock and your walking down the street past a bus stop and you see the guy who's boning your GF and it accidently slips into his arm....would that excuse stand up in court?

Ali G "hypothetically"

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 01 2008,01:15   

Oh, you can be (the tales I could tell...).  But you just submit elsewhere.

In your case, there are two major differences; (a) you can't submit anywhere else, and (b) the reviewing dos not appear to be blind.  I would suggest that carrots are put on the menu chez Lou this evening.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 01 2008,04:51   

Can we rule out that God in his infinite wisdom and knowledge, when creating the universe and already knowing the future just created the universe, leaving it to unfold just as he knew it would? With the result that the world we know  today just is the result of natural processes; that God already from the beginning knew what the result would be?

How can we put any limitations on what God can or can not do? Is he not capable of creating an universe that fulfills his dreams without his continued tinkering with it?

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 01 2008,06:13   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Dec. 01 2008,02:15)
(b) the reviewing dos not appear to be blind.

No, our review process is not blind, an unavoidable consequence of the setting, I'm afraid.

A case could be made that the purely hypothetical reviewer, however....

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 01 2008,06:25   

Quote (Quack @ Dec. 01 2008,05:51)
Can we rule out that God in his infinite wisdom and knowledge, when creating the universe and already knowing the future just created the universe, leaving it to unfold just as he knew it would? With the result that the world we know  today just is the result of natural processes; that God already from the beginning knew what the result would be?

How can we put any limitations on what God can or can not do? Is he not capable of creating an universe that fulfills his dreams without his continued tinkering with it?

Quickly, before I head off to my long day at school (Mondays are long and tiresome):

Well, you could tack a god on the beginning like that if you wanted to, I suppose. And many people certainly do.

Seems rather superfluous to me, but I've got little quarrel with such a postulate unless it's presented as science or fact. Keep it out of the government, to include the public school system, and tack on whatever you like, as far as I'm concerned.

Also, don't knock on my door early on a Saturday morning to tell me about it.

Of course, that's not what Daniel and the IDiot Crew are proposing.

My tuppence.

--------------

19967 replies since Jan. 17 2006,08:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (666) < ... 318 319 320 321 322 [323] 324 325 326 327 328 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]