RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (666) < ... 317 318 319 320 321 [322] 323 324 325 326 327 ... >   
  Topic: The Bathroom Wall, A PT tradition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 29 2008,19:18   

oh good lord, please, everybody, let's keep this sh1t on the BW.

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 29 2008,19:32   

That's where I put it.

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

Daniel Smith

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 29 2008,19:53   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Nov. 25 2008,17:38)

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 25 2008,18:40)
Your argument, if applied to any known designs, would look incredibly silly.

Does it not follow from the organization of a car, that it was designed?  Does it not follow from the organization of Stonehenge (which is far less organized than a watch) that it too was designed?  Do we need to know the exact mechanisms used to build a car to know it was not the result of natural forces?  Do we need to know the exact mechanisms used to build Stonehenge to know that it was not the result of natural forces?

No, Daniel, it is you who appears to be increasingly silly.

All of these are analogies to human designs. Obviously, as RB has told you repeatedly, we know how to detect those designs because we have great familiarity with the designers. And we do need mechanisms to make those assessments!  The stones at Stonehenge have marks on them that indicate human effort. Cars have signs of human action as well, including factory and patent information.

Where are the unmistakeable signs of your designer?

Short answer - you have no clue.

In all your bluster, in all of Bill's musings, and in all of Wesley's pontificating, there is one thing you're all forgetting:  Only a designer can organize complex materials for specific function.  Forces of nature don't do this.  Analogies between biological systems and human designs work - not because we know a lot about human designers - but because both are examples of the organization of complex materials for specific function.  Your whole line of reasoning is a massive strawman.

So, with that said, the unmistakable signs of "my designer" are these: Like human designs, the products of my designer are organized for specific and complex function - but with a twist.  You see, not only are the products of my designer organized far beyond the known capabilities of natural forces, they are also organized far beyond the capabilities of known intelligent designers.  No natural forces, no human engineers, no chemists, no physicists, no known force or entity - intelligent or otherwise - and no combination of any of the above, possess the capabilities to produce what my designer has produced.  The designs produced by my designer require a level of knowledge and expertise we cannot fathom.  

So, my designer is an unknown entity who possesses knowledge and capabilities far beyond human understanding.  Let's just call him "God" shall we?

So, does life contain the "chisel marks" of God?

Well, let's look at a "simple" enzyme.  This enzyme captures a complex molecule (called the 'substrate').  It wraps itself around it - bringing its active regions into close proximity to precise atoms on the substrate.  It then proceeds to alter the chemical composition of the substrate, while simultaneously altering its own chemical composition.  Through several specific chemical reactions, which take place in sequence, the substrate is changed.  It is then released, having been altered into a useful molecule (called the 'product'), with a byproduct of H2O (also useful).  Meanwhile the enzyme has managed - during this biochemical alteration process - to revert its own chemical composition back to its original makeup.  This allows the process to repeat again and again.  All of this take place hundreds of thousands of times faster than if the same chemical reactions were to take place on their own.  

No one has any serious explanation for how this enzyme happened to come into being.  Even if someone were to come up with a plausible explanation they'd still have the rest of the system to account for.  You see, this particular enzyme is synthesized in the pancreas.  So any plausible explanation would not only have to account for the enzyme, it would also have to account for the pancreas.  But which came first - the pancreas or the enzyme?  It's quite possibly an endless chicken and egg scenario.  

This is just one example of the handiwork of God.  Not only is this enzyme's engineering beyond the capabilities of nature, it is engineered beyond the capabilities of men as well.  Yet this is one of the simplest and most basic fundamentals of life.  When we look beyond the enzyme and begin to look at the systems in place for its synthesis, for its regulation, for its placement within the overall biochemical pathway, and etc., not to mention all the other major and minor systems working in unison and in tandem within this organism, and also considering all the other organisms there are (and have been) out there, it quickly becomes evident that this is just one of trillions of examples that could be cited.  The problems inherent in finding a natural explanation for this enzyme and its place within the biological framework of life are soon so insurmountable as to exclude their even being considered.  We begin to rapidly run into the limits of human knowledge as well.  

Imagining the process that must have been involved in the design of a living organism is far beyond human comprehension.

So yes, life does contain the "chisel marks" of God.

--------------
"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance."  Orville Wright

"The presence or absence of a creative super-intelligence is unequivocally a scientific question."  Richard Dawkins

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 29 2008,19:57   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 29 2008,20:53)
 Only a designer can organize complex materials for specific function.  Forces of nature don't do this.  

Can you show some evidence for this other than the say so of some random internet crank?

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 29 2008,20:36   

Imagining the process that must have been involved in the design of a living organism is far beyond human comprehension.

How big is god(s) penis?  

As a female, can any of you male persons tell me about your 'chisel marks'?

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

-JoeG

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 29 2008,20:52   

Quote (khan @ Nov. 29 2008,21:36)
As a female, can any of you male persons tell me about your 'chisel marks'?

No, I would have to tell you about my chisel marks as a male.

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 29 2008,21:16   

[Graffiti moved to Bathroom Wall. - Lou FCD]

One does have to wonder what Jack had lined up for a middle name.

"Phuk"?

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 29 2008,21:17   

[Graffiti moved to Bathroom Wall. - Lou FCD]

I'll just go 'head and preemptively flush myself.

--------------

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,06:10   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 29 2008,19:53)

It's called "evolution" dumbass.

So, Daniel, now that you've said the same thing in about 40 different ways what now?

Yes, you've made your point. The world will just move on, and all your efforts will be for naught. You've not changed anybodys mind (how could you, you've provided no evidence) and you've provided no new leads for scientific research.

You are just another internet crank/loon who gazes through the window of science wishing they could be on the inside instead of looking in.

So carry on dear boy. The lurkers here (and there are very many) get to see the emptyness of your case every time you click the submit button. If you want to keep going, nobody will stop you.

You are entertainment Danny. Nothing more, nothing less.

Except when it does not. Let me remind you how sometimes when it suits you these "chisel marks" are not to be seen. You said  
Now you're just lying.  I can look at virtually any biological system and immediately see its elegance and sophistication of design.
and I immediately pointed out a "design" that was simply not sophisticated. The nerve in the neck of the giraffe that goes up and down the neck when it would have simply taken a shortcut if "design" were true.  

The reason the nerve passes between the internal and external carotid arteries is because the giraffe evolved from a short-necked ancestor.  The giraffe most likely represents the over-specialized typolysis phase of Schindewolf's theory.

My guess is that the giraffe will exhibit low genetic variability when compared with other mammals also.

You have to remember that creation took place a long time ago, and lots of evolution and variation has happened since then.  The fact that so much of what remains is still functional is a testament to the brilliance of the Creator.

link
So, when it suits you life displays the chisel marks of god. When it does not, evolution mussed it all up. How about we pick a dozen or so examples, I'll point out the obvious flaw in the "design" and you can repeat the same mantra "it was a long time ago, it's amazing it still works at all" over and over and we'll see how long it is before you might start to think "perhaps I'm wrong". As you'll never think that, as true believers are wont to do, I don't think we'll play that game. If you want to in fact play, please let me know and I'll pick some examples and you can give it your best shot. As you'll be saying the same thing in response to each one get that copy+paste button warmed up.

There's a word for people like you. Begins with  H. There are also a few other words too, but most of the combinations would not be suitable even for the BW.

Daniel, last time of asking, why did your designer not implement wheels for it's creatures? Why does your designer limit itself to designs that can also equally have evolved?
Where are the horses using wheels to zip around? Why no wheels Danny boy?

Why does your designer constrain itself to designs that evolution can produce Daniel?

I predict you will not answer, and therefore by your own rules you concede my point. Thanks in advance.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,06:12   

It's quite possibly an endless chicken and egg scenario.  

Daniel,
What did your god design first? The chicken or the egg?

Another question for you to ignore.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Reed

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,06:18   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 29 2008,17:53)
In all your bluster, in all of Bill's musings, and in all of Wesley's pontificating, there is one thing you're all forgetting:  Only a designer can organize complex materials for specific function.

We're not forgetting it Daniel... we've heard it from you and the rest of The Argument Regarding Design club a thousand times. We still don't fucking buy it, because it's just a bald assertion that isn't based on evidence.

mitschlag

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,07:10   

Quote (Reed @ Nov. 30 2008,06:18)

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 29 2008,17:53)
In all your bluster, in all of Bill's musings, and in all of Wesley's pontificating, there is one thing you're all forgetting:  Only a designer can organize complex materials for specific function.

We're not forgetting it Daniel... we've heard it from you and the rest of The Argument Regarding Design club a thousand times. We still don't fucking buy it, because it's just a bald assertion that isn't based on evidence.

Daniel assumes what he sets out to prove.

Why can't he realize that? ???

--------------
"You can establish any “rule” you like if you start with the rule and then interpret the evidence accordingly." - George Gaylord Simpson (1902-1984)

EyeNoU

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,07:14   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Nov. 29 2008,21:17)
[Graffiti moved to Bathroom Wall. - Lou FCD]<br/><br/>I'll just go 'head and preemptively flush myself.

I see Barry's episode with JackInhofe had a messy ending. Why does it always come to that? Personally I think DaveScot would have handled JackInhofe much more efficiently. He has more experience.

(Water begins swirling in clockwise direction....)

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,08:04   

So, my designer is an unknown entity who possesses knowledge and capabilities far beyond human understanding.  Let's just call him "God" shall we?

You were the one invoking bullshit agnostic design detection, Daniel. Did you deny Him three times? We'll have to count.

After all this, we're left with "I believe God created all life, and therefore don't believe that a scientific account of origins and evolution can succeed." This is statement of belief, not an argument, and nothing you have said adds scientific jot or tittle to this statement.

Let's tote up the recent arguments I've made that, by your own standards (no response), you have have conceded:

- ID/god theory provides no causal story (mechanism) other than uttering "design." It therefore completely fails as explanation for the origins and evolution of life.
-  Ordinary design detection works because of background knowledge and inferences about the designers. We lack that with respect to supernatural design.
- Design and agency, and the products of design and agency, emerging without a causal history are no less miraculous and supernatural than matter and energy poofing into existence at God's whim.
- Front loading fails because the contingent and inherently unpredictable physical circumstances that adaptations must track over time demand implausible foreknowledge of, or control over, those circumstances on the part of the designer.
- Numerous examples of predictions and tests of predictions made from the perspective of evolutionary theory have been citied. No testable predictions originate from "God theory."
- More generally, theories invoking the supernatural are incapable of guiding research, because any observation can be reconciled with the action of an "all powerful" being capable of moving matter and energy by acts of will.
- Methodological naturalism isn't a theory, it's a method. Important clue: "Methodological."
- It is not enough to point to lacunae - even large lacunae - within an otherwise fertile and productive theoretical framework to reject that framework. Also needed is a competing framework that accounts for all of the facts and data subsumed by the prior framework, fills some of those lacunae, and generates unique, testable empirical hypotheses and predictions that have the potential guide further empirical work (extra points for ignoring this about a dozen times).

In short:

- You have no theory. "Goddidit" isn't a theory.

- No empirical work has been, nor can be, accomplished from the general framework you embrace.

- You have no questions with testable empirical consequences to pose.

That's all I've been saying, Daniel.

[Edits for clarity]

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,08:09   

I suggest Daniel ask Behe for the answers ho won't get here. Behe has the education Daniel is lacking, he believe God is the designer and needs no convincing. He may want to add Daniel's arguments to his own. Behe knows Intelligent Design. Here is Behe in something I believe i found in the archives of the ARN ID-forum many years ago:

From a transcript made at the DDD3 conference in 2002:

Question from the audience: I’d be interested in hearing you tell us a little bit about what your theory of intelligent design is, as opposed to what evolution isn’t.

Behe replies: Well, that’s a great question, and I know folks on the other side who are sceptical of intelligent design often get frustrated, but I try to be as conservative as I can and I don’t go out beyond what the data can support because I think overreaching is the bane of theories of design. You say that flagellum looks designed so everything is designed, or that everything that looks complex was designed, or something like that.

I think the short answer to your question is, for all of those things, I don’t know.

There not enough data. For the elephant, we have primelephus, the ancestral elephant of the Asian and African elephant, and mammoth. Well, could that happened by random mutation and natural selection? My instinctive answer is sure - it sure looks like it. It doesn’t look like any big deal.

The more careful answer, the actual answer, is I don’t know - cause I don’t know what’s involved in making one versus the other. I don’t know what molecular changes are necessary to make the small anatomical differences in those different species.

Suppose one believed that those things could have happened by natural selection, but maybe the origination of mammals needed some extra information - how would that have happened - how would the designer have done that? Would it have been, say, information embedded into nature at the big bang, or whenever nature started, or might it have been manipulations along the way, or some sort of input along the way?

The short answer is “I don’t know.”

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,08:14   

In all your bluster, in all of Bill's musings, and in all of Wesley's pontificating, there is one thing you're all forgetting:  Only a designer can organize complex materials for specific function.  Forces of nature don't do this.  Analogies between biological systems and human designs work - not because we know a lot about human designers - but because both are examples of the organization of complex materials for specific function.

Welcome back, Danny. It appears that your time away has not resulted in any measurable decrement in your ability to spout nonsense, however. I couldn't even read the bulk of your comment; the first few sentences are so stunningly wrong that the rest of it couldn't possibly matter.

"Only a designer can organize complex materials for specific function. Forces of nature don't do this." As has been pointed out to you many times, including in the comment from me that you quoted and apparently didn't read, this argument from analogy to human activities is simply not valid. There is no need to invoke teleology ("for specific function") simply because human designers work that way. Lots of complex "designs" originate from simple chemical and physical processes; from there we can deduce plausible paths to self-replicating systems, and from there to life. Your argument from analogy is simply wrong. Angels are not needed to push the planets around; god is not needed to produce organization and self-replicating systems.

In fact, if design (from a human perspective) is needed before you can identify god's handiwork, how do you know that he/she/it designed objects in the inanimate world that seemingly have no design? Or do you just take that on faith as well?

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,08:39   

Does your god design each individual snowflake Daniel or are "natural processes" responsible?

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,10:30   

until this point i have been laboring under the delusion that the "fertilization theory of reproduction" sufficed to explain the delightful bundle of 30 month old joy that is my little boy.  Surely, I thought in my atheist ignorance, we know enough about human biology to understand a little bit about the origin growth and development of human beings.

Now since I have knelt on my knees and acknowledged the Designer and the Designer Jr. it is clear to me that I was wrong.  As Daniel says,
Only a designer can organize complex materials for specific function.

Clearly Jesus (sorry, let's just call the Designer 'God' shall we) has been hard at work designing my little boy (and also every other living thing on the planet and anywhere else that life occurs) every step of the way, all day every day any damn day.  My liver cannot work without the designer imparting information and organizing complex materials for specific functions.  even shitting a big hairy turd is "organizing complex materials for a specific function", fortunately this analogy suffices for everything that drips out of Daniel's moth or dribbles from his chin.

Daniel you are a tiresome bore.  Please stop polluting the BW with your stupid ineffectual tortuous narratives explicating the depths of your profound and diverse ignorance.  Please, consider Camus.  The Designer wishes to meet you.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,10:34   

So, my designer is an unknown entity who possesses knowledge and capabilities far beyond human understanding.  Let's just call him "God" Satan shall we?

There, fixed that for you Danny boy. How do you know it's gawd and not the zub?

I tell you, sometimes my knee hurts something rotten. Makes more sense that the "perfect" designer had nothing to do with it and his bad sheep brother had everything to do with designing the awfulness that is the human spine, knees, waste/reproductive system etc.

Tell me again about the elegant design of the positioning of the human reproductive system.

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

Richard Simons

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,10:35   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 29 2008,18:18)

Quote (Richard Simons @ Nov. 25 2008,17:33)

Now, is it because I don't know exactly what tool (if any) God used to manipulate atoms that you're contending I have "no mechanism"?  

I asked you before how your god created things and you just waved your arms around and waffled. You're doing the same thing now. I've seen no evidence that you have the vaguest idea of how, when or why a god created anything.

And I asked how nature created the E. coli amino acid synthesis system and you all just waved your arms around and waffled too.  I too have seen no evidence that any of you have the vaguest idea of how or why nature created anything.

It seems to me that you are confusing two things. If I asked you how you got from New York to Los Angeles you could answer in several ways. You could say you drove, flew by plane or walked. If asked for more detail you could (or someone else could) describe in detail how a car or an aircraft worked.

The other alternative is that you could enumerate all the places you went though on the way.

What we are asking from you, and can to a large degree supply from our side, is the first kind of detail, the processes that were involved. What you are asking for is the second kind of detail, the exact route that was taken. Significant parts of this detail can also be given, but by no means all. Meanwhile, all you are saying is equivalent to 'I went by broomstick'.

--------------
All sweeping statements are wrong.

dnmlthr

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,10:44   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Nov. 30 2008,16:34)

So, my designer is an unknown entity who possesses knowledge and capabilities far beyond human understanding.  Let's just call him "God" Satan shall we?

There, fixed that for you Danny boy. How do you know it's gawd and not the zub?

I tell you, sometimes my knee hurts something rotten. Makes more sense that the "perfect" designer had nothing to do with it and his bad sheep brother had everything to do with designing the awfulness that is the human spine, knees, waste/reproductive system etc.

Tell me again about the elegant design of the positioning of the human reproductive system.

Here are a few other candidates.

--------------
Guess what? I don't give a flying f*ck how "science works" - Ftk

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,12:36   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Nov. 30 2008,09:14)
"Only a designer can organize complex materials for specific function. Forces of nature don't do this."

Claim CI130:
Design is indicated by functional integration, which is multiple parts working together to produce a particular function or end.
Source:
Lumsden, R., quoted by B. J. Alters, 1995. A content analysis of the Institute for Creation Research's Institute on Scientific Creationism. Creation/Evolution 15(2): 1-15.

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CI/CI130.html

Daniel Smith

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,12:41   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Nov. 29 2008,17:57)
 Only a designer can organize complex materials for specific function.  Forces of nature don't do this.  

Can you show some evidence for this other than the say so of some random internet crank?

I can show that a designer can organize complex materials for specific function.  I cannot show that anything else can.  Can you?

--------------
"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance."  Orville Wright

"The presence or absence of a creative super-intelligence is unequivocally a scientific question."  Richard Dawkins

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,12:44   

http://www.antievolution.org/cgi-bin....y129322

Drinking heavy water...

That was the plot in an episode of "Hogan's Heroes".

--------------

-JoeG

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,12:46   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 30 2008,13:41)

I can show that a designer can organize complex materials for specific function.  I cannot show that anything else can.  Can you?

Can you show us all the steps/methods thereof?

--------------

-JoeG

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,13:02   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 30 2008,13:41)

You're assuming that life has a specific function, for starters. You haven't even asserted what constitutes a specific function, let alone demonstrated that life (or anything else) has one.

What is my specific function, Daniel? Says who?

What is the specific function of life in general?

What is the specific function of Ceres, and how does that differ?

You certainly serve a specific function: Entertainment for the intelligent, educated segment of the culture.

Like your every post, this one is just more handwaving and bald assertions, conclusions used as assumptions, mouthfoaming and general tarditude.

At least you're consistant.

--------------

Daniel Smith

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,13:27   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Nov. 30 2008,06:04)

Let's tote up the recent arguments I've made that, by your own standards (no response), you have have conceded:

- ID/god theory provides no causal story (mechanism) other than uttering "design." It therefore completely fails as explanation for the origins and evolution of life.

I've given you the mechanism.  I can show the exact same mechanism in action.  I can show that my mechanism can organize complex materials for specific function.  Can you show any of that for any of the proposed mechanisms of evolution or abiogenesis?

-  Ordinary design detection works because of background knowledge and inferences about the designers. We lack that with respect to supernatural design.

That's bull and you know it.  Just because we know a lot about "ordinary" designers does not mean we could not detect design elsewhere under different circumstances.  It's a non sequitur.  Given the organization of complex materials for specific function, we can detect design anywhere.

- Design and agency, and the products of design and agency, emerging without a causal history are no less miraculous and supernatural than matter and energy poofing into existence at God's whim.

Essentially you're saying that if we don't know the history of something, that 'something' is miraculous.  Another non sequitur.

- Front loading fails because the contingent and inherently unpredictable physical circumstances that adaptations must track over time demand implausible foreknowledge of, or control over, those circumstances on the part of the designer.

It requires what only God has.  Life requires what only God has.

- Numerous examples of predictions and tests of predictions made from the perspective of evolutionary theory have been citied. No testable predictions originate from "God theory."

The "God theory" predicts that there will be organization for function at the heart of everything.  It predicts that life's designs will be analogous to human designs - only far superior.  In essence it predicts that life's technology and complexity are consistent with what we would expect from a creative being of infinite intelligence.  We've been over this several times now Bill and you refuse to acknowledge my answers.  You keep repeating the "no answers, no theory, no evidence" mantra despite being given all of the above repeatedly.  Try listening.

- More generally, theories invoking the supernatural are incapable of guiding research, because any observation can be reconciled with the action of an "all powerful" being capable of moving matter and energy by acts of will.

Maybe you should go back and reread my posts where I already addressed this and the other issues you're regurgitating here.  Are you really that stupid?  Or do you just play dumb in front of your internet friends?

- Methodological naturalism isn't a theory, it's a method. Important clue: "Methodological."

Got it.

- It is not enough to point to lacunae - even large lacunae - within an otherwise fertile and productive theoretical framework to reject that framework. Also needed is a competing framework that accounts for all of the facts and data subsumed by the prior framework, fills some of those lacunae, and generates unique, testable empirical hypotheses and predictions that have the potential guide further empirical work (extra points for ignoring this about a dozen times).

I addressed this as well.  Remember "endless appeals to future knowledge"?  At some point a theory has to generate sufficient explanatory power or else be abandoned.  Kudos to you for ignoring everything you don't want to hear.

In short:

- You have no theory. "Goddidit" isn't a theory.

- No empirical work has been, nor can be, accomplished from the general framework you embrace.

- You have no questions with testable empirical consequences to pose.

That's all I've been saying, Daniel.

[Edits for clarity]

So, you say something.  I address it.  You snip my comments and pretend I've ignored your argument.  I see.  Your head is buried in the sand Bill.  

In the meantime, no one here has addressed my original challenge.  So Bill, rather than ignore me again for the hundredth time, how about you explain how natural processes produced some complex living system?  It could be anything Bill.  Any living system.  ANYTHING!  (Am I being too specific?)

You've got all your strawmen and non sequiturs lined up against any thought of design, yet you yourself give credence to design by not being able to give an account of how anything originated naturally.  That's some pretty large lacunae Bill - it's just the nuts and bolts of your theory!  I guess ignorance is bliss when it comes to those little details eh Bill?

--------------

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,13:52   

The "God theory" predicts that there will be organization for function at the heart of everything.

Which god(s) are we referencing?

--------------

-JoeG

Richard Simons

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,13:53   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 30 2008,13:27)
The "God theory" predicts that there will be organization for function at the heart of everything.  It predicts that life's designs will be analogous to human designs - only far superior.

Are you saying that if we can find some aspect of living organisms that is designed worse than humans could have done, the existence of God will have been disproved?

--------------
All sweeping statements are wrong.

Daniel Smith

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 30 2008,13:58   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Nov. 30 2008,06:14)

In all your bluster, in all of Bill's musings, and in all of Wesley's pontificating, there is one thing you're all forgetting:  Only a designer can organize complex materials for specific function.  Forces of nature don't do this.  Analogies between biological systems and human designs work - not because we know a lot about human designers - but because both are examples of the organization of complex materials for specific function.

Welcome back, Danny. It appears that your time away has not resulted in any measurable decrement in your ability to spout nonsense, however. I couldn't even read the bulk of your comment; the first few sentences are so stunningly wrong that the rest of it couldn't possibly matter.

"Only a designer can organize complex materials for specific function. Forces of nature don't do this." As has been pointed out to you many times, including in the comment from me that you quoted and apparently didn't read, this argument from analogy to human activities is simply not valid. There is no need to invoke teleology ("for specific function") simply because human designers work that way. Lots of complex "designs" originate from simple chemical and physical processes; from there we can deduce plausible paths to self-replicating systems,

Yeah right - show me one.  I've been reading the abiogenesis literature, I've yet to see anything approaching a plausible pathway.

and from there to life.

Again, you're willing to take for granted that, what so far have been the most general of suggested pathways, can scale the insurmountable peaks that block real plausible pathways from chemicals to life.

Your argument from analogy is simply wrong.

You guys don't like the analogy to human inventions because it is such a strong one.  That's why you have to keep forcing the non sequitur about causal history.

Angels are not needed to push the planets around;

Never mentioned anything about angels pushing planets around.  I'm used to strawmen, but this is a doozy!

god is not needed to produce organization and self-replicating systems.

Show me something that does just that and I'll be quiet.      

In fact, if design (from a human perspective) is needed before you can identify god's handiwork, how do you know that he/she/it designed objects in the inanimate world that seemingly have no design? Or do you just take that on faith as well?

All of these things - in fact everything that is - has organization for specific function at its core.  There's purpose in everything.  We are a long way from knowing even a fraction of what those purposes might be, but I predict we will find a purpose for everything we study.  This is the "God theory" in essence.

BTW, why did you snip my enzyme example?  Did it make you uncomfortable?  Did you struggle with "imagining a pathway"?  If you can't explain one enzyme, what can you explain?

--------------

19967 replies since Jan. 17 2006,08:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (666) < ... 317 318 319 320 321 [322] 323 324 325 326 327 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]