RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (356) < ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 4, Fostering a Greater Understanding of IDC< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 15 2011,23:57   

In the Has the American Scientific Affiliation Spurned ID? thread, Dembski tells about his almost acceptance as a Fellow of the ASA:          
Walter Bradley contacted me in January or February of 2006, asking me to collect a CV and other supporting materials to propose me as fellow of the ASA. He didn’t spell out a strict deadline, so I sent the supporting materials in, as it turned out, two weeks late. Unfortunately, the deadline was strict and my nomination was put in cold storage — at least so I understood from Walter, who indicated that my nomination would be delayed a year. All the materials were in place to confirm my nomination — so Walter gave me to understand. And yet I was never ratified as a fellow, not the following year, not the three additional years that I still remained an ASA member.

So Dembski blew becoming a Fellow of the ASA in 2006 because of his own TARDiness (sorry).  Then they didn't pick him in 2007, 2008, 2009 or 2010.  I wonder if anything happened in Dr. Dr. Dembski's life around that time that might make a fairly serious religious-scientific organization not want him as a member?

Well, let's see.  If he was asked to become a member in January or February 2006, but missed a deadline for submitting his materials, then the ASA probably considered new candidates sometime in the summer or fall of 2006.  So could Dembski possibly have done anything before the summer or fall of 2007 to change the ASA's mind about wanting to get all collegial with him?  

Well, in the summer of 2007, Dembski and Baylor University Professor Robert Marks started the Evolutionary Informatics Lab at Baylor University, apparently without bothering to tell anybody in the Baylor administration about it.  Baylor authorities found out they were hosting a brand new ID center when Marks posted its web site on a Baylor server.  (If I remember right, Dembski was brought on as the World's Oldest Post-Doc because he was persona-non-grata at Baylor after he blew up in his typical childish way over the Polanyi Center.)

Baylor deleted the web site as soon as they say "Dembski" on it.  After some world class whining on Dembski and Mark's part, they eventually offered to host it again provided it had a disclaimer making it clear that the work did not represent the university's position.  Well, William A. Dembski, BA, MS, MS, MS, PhD, PhD was not going to take an insult like that laying down!  Let's let Dr. Dr. Bill tell us how he handled that: (from his public Notpology)      
Nonetheless, on this blog I went too far in trying to hold up the Baylor administration’s actions to the light of day. I let it get personal and went over the edge in three things: (1) posting a parody letter attributed to Baylor President Lilley; (2) posting contact information for the Baylor Board of Regents in an effort to apply pressure to the Baylor administration; (3) posting an exchange between Peter Irons and John Lilley largely for the purpose of embarassing both.

By "posting contact information for the Baylor Board of Regents", Dr. Dr. Dembski means that he published the names, home telephone numbers and personal email addresses of the entire Baylor Board of Regents on that haven of erudition, politeness and restraint, Uncommon Descent.  I leave it to your imaginations what the next few weeks must have been like for the members of the Board.

Any ordinary fuck-up would have contented himself with just writing a parody letter in the name of the President of the university and putting it on line or publishing some of that President's private correspondence,  but Dr. Dr. Dembski is no ordinary person and instead he redefined the whole idea of academic crazy.

And he apparently still hasn't figured out why anybody with enough sanity to wear their underwear on the inside doesn't want to invite him to join their organization.

Doc Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,00:40   

Well, at least they had the smarts not to name the organization the

American Scientific Society

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,03:34   

Quote (Doc Bill @ Oct. 16 2011,05:26)
Yeah, you're thinking of the game

"Clueless"

The Game.

You just lost it.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,03:36   

Quote (Tracy P. Hamilton @ Oct. 15 2011,15:05)
Quote (sparc @ Oct. 15 2011,00:32)
Being William Dembski means a life of bitterness:      
William Dembski October 14, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Thanks for this post, Caroline. Even though my research professorship pays for memberships to professional societies, I decided to let my membership in the ASA lapse last year (after more than 20 years a member) because I simply could no longer get behind the direction in which the organization was going.

Let me urge that you start your own professional society through AITSE to fill that gap that the ASA is leaving — may some deep pockets reading this post provided you with the needed start-up capital!

I will be the first to cheer them on.

GO AITSE !

That post needs to be celebrated with a Lemon Party. Have a Blue Waffle.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,04:34   

I really am not curious except that's too cryptic for me.

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,08:20   

Quote (Patrick @ Oct. 16 2011,05:47)
Quote (Louis @ Oct. 15 2011,17:36)
Quote (Patrick @ Oct. 15 2011,20:31)
It's probably juvenile and mean spirited of me, but I'm really enjoying reading Larry Moran's posts at UD.  He's giving them all of the respect they have earned.

Larry's posting at UD? Oh THIS I have to see....

....wait. That involves actually going to UD. Hmmm I'm getting over a cold and that place is like internet transmittable brain cancer. I'm not sure in my weakened state I should dare. I shall retire to my fainting couch with a mint julep and get the house boy to give me a head massage.

Louis

So it was Louis on the fainting couch with the house boy....

Sorry, I think I'm playing the wrong game.

No Louis ..........was the fainting couch house boy.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,08:29   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Oct. 16 2011,07:57)
In the Has the American Scientific Affiliation Spurned ID? thread, Dembski tells about his almost acceptance as a Fellow of the ASA:          
Walter Bradley contacted me in January or February of 2006, asking me to collect a CV and other supporting materials to propose me as fellow of the ASA. He didn’t spell out a strict deadline, so I sent the supporting materials in, as it turned out, two weeks late. Unfortunately, the deadline was strict and my nomination was put in cold storage — at least so I understood from Walter, who indicated that my nomination would be delayed a year. All the materials were in place to confirm my nomination — so Walter gave me to understand. And yet I was never ratified as a fellow, not the following year, not the three additional years that I still remained an ASA member.

So Dembski blew becoming a Fellow of the ASA in 2006 because of his own TARDiness (sorry).  Then they didn't pick him in 2007, 2008, 2009 or 2010.  I wonder if anything happened in Dr. Dr. Dembski's life around that time that might make a fairly serious religious-scientific organization not want him as a member?

Well, let's see.  If he was asked to become a member in January or February 2006, but missed a deadline for submitting his materials, then the ASA probably considered new candidates sometime in the summer or fall of 2006.  So could Dembski possibly have done anything before the summer or fall of 2007 to change the ASA's mind about wanting to get all collegial with him?  

Well, in the summer of 2007, Dembski and Baylor University Professor Robert Marks started the Evolutionary Informatics Lab at Baylor University, apparently without bothering to tell anybody in the Baylor administration about it.  Baylor authorities found out they were hosting a brand new ID center when Marks posted its web site on a Baylor server.  (If I remember right, Dembski was brought on as the World's Oldest Post-Doc because he was persona-non-grata at Baylor after he blew up in his typical childish way over the Polanyi Center.)

Baylor deleted the web site as soon as they say "Dembski" on it.  After some world class whining on Dembski and Mark's part, they eventually offered to host it again provided it had a disclaimer making it clear that the work did not represent the university's position.  Well, William A. Dembski, BA, MS, MS, MS, PhD, PhD was not going to take an insult like that laying down!  Let's let Dr. Dr. Bill tell us how he handled that: (from his public Notpology)        
Nonetheless, on this blog I went too far in trying to hold up the Baylor administration’s actions to the light of day. I let it get personal and went over the edge in three things: (1) posting a parody letter attributed to Baylor President Lilley; (2) posting contact information for the Baylor Board of Regents in an effort to apply pressure to the Baylor administration; (3) posting an exchange between Peter Irons and John Lilley largely for the purpose of embarassing both.

By "posting contact information for the Baylor Board of Regents", Dr. Dr. Dembski means that he published the names, home telephone numbers and personal email addresses of the entire Baylor Board of Regents on that haven of erudition, politeness and restraint, Uncommon Descent.  I leave it to your imaginations what the next few weeks must have been like for the members of the Board.

Any ordinary fuck-up would have contented himself with just writing a parody letter in the name of the President of the university and putting it on line or publishing some of that President's private correspondence,  but Dr. Dr. Dembski is no ordinary person and instead he redefined the whole idea of academic crazy.

And he apparently still hasn't figured out why anybody with enough sanity to wear their underwear on the inside doesn't want to invite him to join their organization.

At least he didn't acuse the Baylor regents of being a victim of redneck xstain gasoline sniffers/wife beaters for being at a drug deal gone wrong.

Bill will have a long list to answer for when he gets to the pearly gates.

Hey Bill or one of you ass sniffers pass the message on.

A CUNT is not part of the female anatomy.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,08:40   

Quote (Louis @ Oct. 16 2011,11:36)
Quote (Tracy P. Hamilton @ Oct. 15 2011,15:05)
Quote (sparc @ Oct. 15 2011,00:32)
Being William Dembski means a life of bitterness:      
William Dembski October 14, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Thanks for this post, Caroline. Even though my research professorship pays for memberships to professional societies, I decided to let my membership in the ASA lapse last year (after more than 20 years a member) because I simply could no longer get behind the direction in which the organization was going.

Let me urge that you start your own professional society through AITSE to fill that gap that the ASA is leaving — may some deep pockets reading this post provided you with the needed start-up capital!

I will be the first to cheer them on.

GO AITSE !

Louis

It would be nice if anyone anywhere took the Welsh seriously.

But since they can't even beat a bunch of goat fuckers aka the "les bleus" do they even deserve to beat the misnamed Wallabies popularly known as the Bunbury Girls High School 500 cards club.

So while you guys are dreaming of 4th place the mighty All Blacks will be cake walking for the second time in 24 years.....Fingers crossed.

--------------

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,08:40   

Quote (Louis @ Oct. 16 2011,03:36)

Louis

You might want to ease back on that cold medicine. ???

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,09:06   

Quote (Seversky @ Oct. 16 2011,16:40)

Louis

That would be tripe and black pudding, right?

--------------

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,09:49   

Quote (Quack @ Oct. 16 2011,02:34)

Words can do neither justice.  They must be experienced. Not that I recommend either of those experiences.  If you really want to know, turn off the safe search and go Googling.  Let it be said, however, that you probably don't want to know.

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

Woodbine

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,11:35   

Currently, the top three 'articles' at UD are attacks against the ASA. Fuelled, no doubt, by Carol 'crocker' Shit's desire to elevate her AITSE to the position of the 'One True ID-Friendly Science Shoppe'; and ably supported by Dembski's whining.

Nothing much to look at but it's nevertheless fun to watch ID (and all who sail in her) scrabbling around the theological hinterlands, looking for a foothold.

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,11:45   

Quote (Doc Bill @ Oct. 16 2011,00:26)

"Clueless"

This is Louis?

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,12:22   

Quote (Patrick @ Oct. 16 2011,17:45)
Quote (Doc Bill @ Oct. 16 2011,00:26)

"Clueless"

This is Louis?

If I was that good looking I'd never leave the house.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,12:24   

Quote (Quack @ Oct. 16 2011,10:34)

You will see a pot below by Didymos.

Under no circumstances obey the instructions within. The reservations he expresses are heavily understated. DO NOT GOOGLE THOSE TERMS!

Especially do not go to the Encylopedia Dramatica's shock page. Just don't. Seriously. It's horrendous.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,12:26   

Quote (k.e.. @ Oct. 16 2011,15:06)

Louis

And a special bread poultice of herbs, honey and milk applied to the neck.

Happily, after it has drawn out all of the noxious humours, it can be baked and eaten.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,13:40   

Quote (Louis @ Oct. 16 2011,12:26)

Louis

Happily, after it has drawn out all of the noxious humours, it can be baked and eaten.

Louis

I won't be back before page 26.

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,16:01   

Quote (k.e.. @ Oct. 16 2011,09:06)

Louis

Mock not.  Tripe and black pudding are triumphs of British hautepaute cuisine and ingenuity.  Not only do they provide a nourishing repast but they can be used to repair punctures in rubber tires and fill small potholes in roads.

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,18:16   

PaV has updated a strangely familiar argument. Shortened:

In crossing a heath, suppose I pitched my foot against an iPhone...

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,19:24   

Elizabeth Liddle assaults kairosfocus' worldview:
kairosfocus: it is not “doing you an injustice” to disagree with you.

Obviously it is, Lizzie, else the lying hypocrite would have no reason to clutch his pearls and get the vapors.

It's looking like the aftermath of Sherman's march to the sea over at UD.  Lizzie has taken apart Behe's IC argument and ground the pieces under her heel.  Multiple participants from the reality-based community are asking for positive evidence for ID and pointing out when it isn't forthcoming.  Larry Moran is calling them "IDiots" to their virtual faces.  Every UD regular is being called on their usual nonsense.  The earth is scorched and there's no place for an Intelligent Design Creationist to hide.

The only regret I have is that we won't have UD to kick around anymore.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,22:06   

They will hide behind Maxwell's daemon, in the form of a silver banhammer.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,22:35   

Caroline Crocker at UD:
Quite apart from the scientific problems with this view, some people are questioning whether the faith that is being espoused [by ASA] is still orthodox Christianity. The fruit of the ASA meeting, which included arguing based on ad hominem attacks, advocating a type of Scientism, equivocating about the sanctity of life, and disregarding Biblical standards for sexuality, suggests that it is not. ASA has forgotten its stated identity. ASA has lost its way.
and on Twitter:
Just went to the Southern CA ASA group meeting. Friendly folks. Great to see.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2011,22:49   

GilDo:
I have a Type-A perfectionist personality that has driven me all my life, whether in the pursuit of mathematics, classical piano playing, software engineering, or anything else.

Anything less than perfection is disturbingly unsatisfying to me. This is both a blessing and a curse. It is a blessing because it has inspired me to do the best I could possibly do in any endeavor I have ever pursued. It is a curse because I know that I cannot ever live up to any standard of perfection, whether self- or externally-imposed.

Christians will understand the implications of this understanding.

Gil, you mean the things you've been posting at UD are the best you can do?  Christ. No wonder you're bitter.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2011,00:17   

Quote (keiths @ Oct. 17 2011,15:49)
Gil, you mean the things you've been posting at UD are the best you can do?  Christ. No wonder you're bitter.

That post had a different effect for me. That awful old Mac Davis song wormed its way into my mind. And it's still there - aarrgh!

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2011,00:37   

Quote (keiths @ Oct. 16 2011,20:49)
GilDo:

I have a Type-A perfectionist personality that has driven me all my life, whether in the pursuit of mathematics, classical piano playing, software engineering, or anything else.

Anything less than perfection is disturbingly unsatisfying to me. This is both a blessing and a curse. It is a blessing because it has inspired me to do the best I could possibly do in any endeavor I have ever pursued. It is a curse because I know that I cannot ever live up to any standard of perfection, whether self- or externally-imposed.

Christians will understand the implications of this understanding.

Which explains why he hates evolution: it's sloppy... and yet, it works.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2011,00:39   

Logic, PaV style:

kellyhomes @ 21.1.2:

Let me ask you, what “positive evidence” do you have that Intelligent Design caused a land mammal to become aquatic?
<more>

But you’ve already asked me that question. I simply turned it around and asked you. You think you have evidence. Well, where is it?

--------------

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2011,03:44   

Quote (Patrick @ Oct. 16 2011,19:24)
Elizabeth Liddle
assaults kairosfocus' worldview

kairosfocus: it is not “doing you an injustice” to disagree with you.

Obviously it is, Lizzie, else the lying hypocrite would have no reason to clutch his pearls and get the vapors.

It's looking like the aftermath of Sherman's march to the sea over at UD.  Lizzie has taken apart Behe's IC argument and ground the pieces under her heel.  Multiple participants from the reality-based community are asking for positive evidence for ID and pointing out when it isn't forthcoming.  Larry Moran is calling them "IDiots" to their virtual faces.  Every UD regular is being called on their usual nonsense.  The earth is scorched and there's no place for an Intelligent Design Creationist to hide.

The only regret I have is that we won't have UD to kick around anymore.

Fixed link here: assaults kairosfocus' worldview  And at the top too...

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2011,08:11   

Quote (Quack @ Oct. 16 2011,21:40)
Quote (Louis @ Oct. 16 2011,12:26)

Louis

Louis

I won't be back before page 26.

Oh haha

It seems in reality now that UCD appears more animated than Sleeping Beauty on speed the players have taken to enjoying their real lives.
\
ETA: Over to Grumpy Dopey and Doc

--------------

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2011,09:55   

StephenB explains why ID is not creationism:

If we accept the findings of physical anthropology and molecular biology, the first “human” species appeared in Africa about 150,000 years ago. According to that scenario, it was the gradual increase in brain size that caused the transition from sub-human species to homo sapiens. As the story goes, the human population was never smaller than 10,000 or some such number. I question this account for several reasons, but I do, nevertheless, think it can be reconciled with Genesis.

According to the Bible, though, there was an original pair of humans. Thus, in order to reconcile Scripture with the scientific evidence presented by experts, we would have to assume that God, in some fashion, planted a spiritual soul into a pre-existing species, which was human in every other way except for the critical powers of intellect and will, and that He was, through that act, and in that sense, creating Adam and Eve.

Oh, er, wait now.

Can you adam and eve it?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2011,10:15   

Quote (paragwinn @ Oct. 15 2011,02:32)
It is dawning on me how completely futile it is becoming to engage the ID supporters of UD. It is quite the Bizarro World over there. None of them seem to learn anything except how to repeat each other's talking points. Believe first in ID and THEN you will understand it. Obstinacy is seen to be healthy skepticism and honest steadfastness. They throw their arguments around as if they are defense attorneys; they are not burdened with providing a consistent and reasonable explanation of events but serve only to cast doubt on the prosecution's (if i have mis-characterized any defense attorneys here, I stand corrected). Contention can be healthy and productive but that's not what's occurring at UD. I applaud those who continue to engage UD, and am grateful for the enlightenment they provide.

I gave up several months ago. The discussions just don't go anywhere except towards name-calling.

--------------
we IDists rule in design for the flagellum and cilium largely because they do look designed.  Bilbo

The only reason you reject Thor is because, like a cushion, you bear the imprint of the biggest arse that sat on you. Louis

10669 replies since Aug. 31 2011,21:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (356) < ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]