RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (14) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >   
  Topic: A thread for William Wallace, To talk about important things< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 03 2008,23:25   

Quote (Doc Bill @ May 03 2008,20:50)
Next thing you know, it'll lead to dancing.

Only to dancing around the issues.

What about dancing on the ceiling?  It could happen. :angry:

(Edited because I forgot to enable the damn smileys the first time.)

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

Richard Simons

(Permalink) Posted: May 04 2008,00:40   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ May 03 2008,03:43)
Stuff like this no doubt

Remember Richard Sternberg? The NCSE consulted with the Smithsonian on how to best make Sternberg’s life a living hell for daring to challenge Darwinian orthodoxy.

Yes, being asked to hand back some keys and change office sure is a "living hell".

Hey, come on! Fair dos. He also had to return a shelf or two of overdue library books and some biological specimens he'd taken without permission.

--------------
All sweeping statements are wrong.

October Mermaid

(Permalink) Posted: May 04 2008,01:17   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ May 03 2008,03:43)
Stuff like this no doubt
Remember Richard Sternberg? The NCSE consulted with the Smithsonian on how to best make Sternberg’s life a living hell for daring to challenge Darwinian orthodoxy.

Yes, being asked to hand back some keys and change office sure is a "living hell".
Link

Well, I mean, don't be too flippant.  I lost my keys to the house today and while I was standing there fumbling around trying to remember where they were, this huge furry spider was on the wall just waggling some of its legs at me like it was gonna start something.

It was scary as hell and when I finally found the keys, I felt like another minute spent out there and it would've made its move.

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: May 04 2008,08:32   

Quote (Texas Teach @ May 03 2008,23:33)
Quote (Arden Chatfield @ May 03 2008,21:48)
So not only did Darwinism kill those 6 million Jews, it now causes divorce.

Next thing you know, it'll lead to dancing.

Which, as we know from the documentary "Footloose", destroy family values.

See Kevin Bacon was also in "A Few Good Men" with Keifer Sutherland...who was in "Young Guns" with Charlie Sheen...who was in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" with Ben Stein...who was in "Expelled" with Sternberg.  So Darwinism destroys family values. QED

Nobody puts Sternberg in a corner.

William Wallace

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,00:09   

didymos,

Why do you engauge in deceitful screen capturing?

Please provide a screen capture of the mythological g-men arresting Scopes?

Coward.

William Wallace

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,00:14   

Okay, so, please explain why evolanders belly-ache about not being about to post at UD., yet they powers that be in the PT-mafia keep the likes of me and Keith Eaton from posting at PT?

Just explain this.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,00:51   

Quote (William Wallace @ May 05 2008,00:14)
Okay, so, please explain why evolanders belly-ache about not being about to post at UD., yet they powers that be in the PT-mafia keep the likes of me and Keith Eaton from posting at PT?

Just explain this.

Sorry, I can't reply as I can read what you just weren't allowed to post, obviously.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,00:54   

Quote (William Wallace @ May 04 2008,22:14)
Okay, so, please explain why evolanders belly-ache about not being about to post at UD.,

'Evolander'?

Isn't that Keith Eaton's infantile buzzword?

Are you imitating him, or are you the same person as him?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,00:59   

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_sh....35.html

TWAT.

ETA.

Lemme get "William Wah!-Wah!-Wallace©" in early doors before someone else thinks of it.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,01:19   

I didn't know that explanation was lacking.

Panda’s Thumb Comment Integrity Policy

As a place to meet and share opinions, the Panda’s Thumb encourages a wide range of comments. In order to be clear about what patrons may expect concerning comment text they leave here, we state the following policies: As far as possible, the integrity of comments will be respected, with the following exceptions.

1. Illegal, offensive, and spam comments may be removed in their entirety. The management has the sole privilege of determining whether a comment requires removal and whether a repeat offender should be banned.

2. Superfluous comments may be removed without notice, as in talk between contributors concerning board layout, duplicate comments, or other meta-site issues.

3. Broken links or other formating problems may be revised by the management to improve the utility of a comment, at the management’s sole discretion.

4. Entry post authors and the management may move comments that are deemed inappropriate to the topic of the entry post, excessively inflammatory, or otherwise disruptive of substantive commentary to the Bathroom Wall. Repeat offenders may have their comments restricted to the Bathroom Wall or disemvoweled.

5. The management is not responsible for factors beyond their control that may interfere with comment integrity, such as software glitches, hardware failure, and problems with Internet connectivity.

6. Posting under multiple identities or falsely posting as someone else may lead to removal of affected comments and blocking of the IP address from which those comments were posted, at the discretion of the management.

Simply put, don’t make a jerk out of yourself. This policy may be revised as future conditions warrant

Emphasis added for clue-giving.

(Edited for that extra red look for Lou.)

Edited by Wesley R. Elsberry on May 05 2008,01:57

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,01:36   

Quote (William Wallace @ May 04 2008,22:09)
didymos,

Coward.

To piss you off.  All of us evolanders exist solely for the purpose of annoying William Wallace.  Didn't you get the memo?

Oh, and: quit picking absurd nits and accusing others of deceit.  Didn't I just tell you, as I know you've been told before, that the images are from a film that was specifically stated in the narration to be "loosely based" on actual events? And didn't I just tell you that they were just there as visual aids and don't change the fact that the narration is entirely accurate, as you've also been told before? Here, I'll answer: Yes, I did and yes, I did.   Go ahead and edit the whole 60 second "Inherit" sequence out, if it makes you feel better.  Makes not a whit of difference to what happened in Dover or the rest of the film.  I'd tell you to stop whining about it, but what would be the point?

So, go ahead.  Complain about the segment some more and call me a coward again.  I know you want to, and I'm cool with that.

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,01:46   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ May 05 2008,02:19)
Emphasis added for clue-giving.

I see you've already addressed this, but I'm having a little trouble seeing what you're getting at, Wesley.

Could you make it a little bigger and maybe add some bold to the parts you'd like to emphasize?

I wouldn't want anyone to miss the important parts.

:p

(Edited to thank Wesley for the extra good redness.)

(Edited again to recheck the smiley box that doesn't stay checked when you edit a comment that already had the check box checked.)

Edited by Lou FCD on May 05 2008,03:17

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,02:09   

Just explain this.

More like laugh at UD for its absurd and arbitrarily draconian moderation policies.  I've personally had four accounts mysteriously silenced, and I'm not really losing any sleep over it. That was basically fine with me, as it certainly was not at all unexpected. I knew full well what I was wading into over there.

So, anyway, why bother with yet another account or incessantly ranting about it in other venues in some vain attempt to re-acquire posting privileges that ultimately mean very little since few there would ever take much interest in my perspective? Know what I mean? Of course you do.

And since sock-puppetry isn't really my thing, I have no desire to try that out on UD either, though I appreciate a truly skilled and subtle practitioner of the art (that is the key: subtlety. Wouldn't you agree?).  

One very minor gripe I will cop to: a number of people do consider a public banning on UD to be a perverse honor, and I admit that would have been much more fun than getting silently consigned to /dev/null. Alas, such was not to be my lot.  I shall just have to persevere, somehow.

Oh, but you were saying about Panda's Thumb?

--------------

Advocatus Diaboli

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,03:48   

Quote (William Wallace @ May 05 2008,00:09)
didymos,

Coward.

Isn't it common knowledge that Scopes volunteered for the trial. He said it sounded interesting. Evil Atheist Conspiracy wanted to overturn the Butler Act, thus there was a need for a trial, which could be presented to the Supreme Court.

Anyways, who has been talking about g-men?

--------------
I once thought that I made a mistake, but I was wrong.

"I freely admit I’m a sociopath" - DaveScot

"Most importanly, the facts are on the side of ID." - scordova

"UD is the greatest website of all time." stevestory

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,03:57   

I'd like to know who Wallace's icon is.

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,04:25   

Quote (Advocatus Diaboli @ May 05 2008,01:48)

Quote (William Wallace @ May 05 2008,00:09)
didymos,

Coward.

Isn't it common knowledge that Scopes volunteered for the trial. He said it sounded interesting. Evil Atheist Conspiracy wanted to overturn the Butler Act, thus there was a need for a trial, which could be presented to the Supreme Court.

Anyways, who has been talking about g-men?

William is eternally upset that the "Judgement Day" documentary used footage of "Inherit the Wind" while briefly discussing the Scopes trial, despite the fact that the context makes it abundantly clear that the movie is not a historical document.  It's just there for illustrating the narration which is accurate and specifically states "Inherit" is "loosely based" on the actual events, and presumably because it documents the cultural impact of Scopes.  Specifically, he's bitching about the fact that "Inherit" takes liberties with history and has a whole arrest sequence that didn't happen, of which a second or two is used in "Judgement Day".  

I tried to use screencaps to help illustrate why he's ridiculous.  It didn't work. Sorry you asked?

--------------

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,04:30   

Quote (guthrie @ May 05 2008,01:57)

It's John Locke, the non-Lost character/English Philosopher.

--------------

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,04:34   

Quote (didymos @ May 05 2008,02:30)

OK, that's weird.  That image:
[image struck by request]

comes from here:

http://locke-smith.com/

which is some random content-management services company.  With a  puntastic name, I might add.

Edited by Lou FCD on May 05 2008,07:35

--------------

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,06:01   

Quote (didymos @ May 05 2008,04:30)

Thanks.  I don't watch lost.  
I do however find the use of the icon by Wallace is Ironic.  
But then I did point out on his blog that he was clearly taking the mickey, why else would he refer to Ann COulter as someone who knows about biology?

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,06:19   

Quote (didymos @ May 05 2008,05:25)
William is eternally upset that the "Judgement Day" documentary used footage of "Inherit the Wind" while briefly discussing the Scopes trial, despite the fact that the context makes it abundantly clear that the movie is not a historical document.  It's just there for illustrating the narration which is accurate and specifically states "Inherit" is "loosely based" on the actual events, and presumably because it documents the cultural impact of Scopes.  

Inherit the Wind originated as a Broadway play in 1955 and, according to the website of the 2007 revival, was intended as a comment upon the intolerance of McCarthyism.

(There is a real clunker of a typo on the History page of that site: "1987: In the case Edwards v. Aguillard in Louisiana, the Supreme Court demands equal time for creationism whenever evolution is taught.")

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,06:32   

Hey, William:  why are you stealing bandwidth from http://locke-smith.com/?

Go get an imageshack account or something for Christ's sake.  

If someone could edit my prior post to remove the giant John Locke, so I'm not stealing their bandwidth, that'd be great.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,10:39   

I know that making shit up is a venerable tradition among creationists, but legendary shit-for-brains Keith Eaton is still posting at PT as of this morning.

So, are you two the same person? Please explain this.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,12:20   

The only things i've seen people banned from PT for is making threats and having sock puppets.  
Other than that, by general agreement really annoying (read: stupid trolls) people can be limited to one or two small areas, i.e. the bathroom wall.  This way they can still post, and people who wish to show them the error of their way can still do so, but the rest of us don't have to wade through 300 posts that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Peter Henderson

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,12:51   

William : I assume you are "Billy" that blogs over at William Crawley's "Will and Testament" since you referred to me as "Stupid or dense" (comments which I take exception to by the way) when I quoted Billy, who I felt was calling into question my salvation for not accepting a literal interpretation of Genesis ?

I still feel that YEC's in Northern Ireland do not accept Christians who have no problem with mainstream science as being really born again (or saved). But then, that's not surprising in this wee place since, in some quarters Roman Catholics are not accepted as real Christians either. Even Christians that don't believe in the "rapture" (considered heresy up until fairly recently i.e.the last couple of hundred years) or adult baptism are looked down upon in some circles here.

Out of curiosity William, if you are "Billy" (I gather he's now puritan by the way), are you actually from Norn Iron ?  If you are from here are you heading to the Ken Ham Do at the weekend ?

The bloggers dinner last weekend in Belfast was an excellent evening, . You missed a good night. I'm sure you would have been made very welcome, as I was, even though I was in the company of Atheists, Humanists Skeptics etc. Great crack and looking forward to the next one.  Far better fun than sitting through a YEC talk which completely distorts mainstream science and misleads the ignorant.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,14:52   

Just to be clear, this is the kind of crack Peter is referring to.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,14:58   

Quote (stevestory @ May 05 2008,12:52)
Just to be clear, this is the kind of crack Peter is referring to.

How can you be sure?

--------------

Peter Henderson

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,15:27   

Just to be clear, this is the kind of crack Peter is referring to

Yep, that's what I meant Steve.

Although, the mistake has in fact been made before Arden. Some years ago a group of holiday makers (can't remember the destination....it might have been the US....New York maybe ?) from "Norn Iron",were arrested after making extensive enquiries as to where the "crack" was  :p

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2008,18:03   

Quote (Peter Henderson @ May 05 2008,10:51)
William : I assume you are "Billy" that blogs over at William Crawley's "Will and Testament" since you referred to me as "Stupid or dense" (comments which I take exception to by the way) when I quoted Billy, who I felt was calling into question my salvation for not accepting a literal interpretation of Genesis ?

What, he didn't call you a coward?  Couldn't have been him.....

--------------

Peter Henderson

(Permalink) Posted: May 06 2008,07:15   

What, he didn't call you a coward?  Couldn't have been him.......

He seems to have disappeared of the thread didymos.

He hasn't:

(a) answered my questions on his location.

(b) apologised for insulting me earlier.

All I'm doing is trying to be friendly.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 06 2008,19:43   

--------------

410 replies since May 03 2008,03:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (14) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]