RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (500) < ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 2, general discussion of Dembski's site< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 01 2008,23:01   

Quote (sparc @ Sep. 01 2008,22:57)
WMAD never gives up:    
Randy Isaac, the executive director of the ASA (i.e., the American Scientific Affiliation — an organization of evangelical Christians largely committed to theistic evolution) will give a talk titled “Science: A Misused Weapon in a Religious War” at Baylor on September 9th. I’m fifteen minutes from the school, so I’ll probably be there.

Cancel that, it's being held in the cafeteria.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 01 2008,23:33   

Andrew Sibley, author of this UD post surely is a reliable witness when it comes to the question if ID is creationism. He even wrote a book on the issue. From a review:  

If Christians are really concerned about ethical standards they must restore and develop a proper understanding of Natural Theology tradition, both in terms of the appearance of design seen in nature, and also in terms of our response to the Creator. The author writes from a young-earth creationist perspective, but is sensitive to those who think differently. This book is highly recommended for all who are seriously concerned about the moral and spiritual state of society, and we would especially urge those who hold a "progressive creationist" or "theistic evolutionist" position to read it carefully.
"progressive creationist" position = ID?

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,00:17   

who is avonwatches?  i don't recognize this bird.  yo

Even worse is that the “breed standards” for showing these pedigrees actually proscribe defective anatomy as ‘correct’. E.g. in German Shephards it is ‘more correct’ to have low slung back hips , despite this predisposing the dogs to Hip Dysplasia in later life, something the breed is already susceptible to. Brachycephalic breeds (squashed face) are even worse, possessing restricted airways, excessive pharyngeal folds, narrow nostrils, etc, which cumulates in respiratory difficulty - for no other reason than being of that breed. These dogs have to have their airways/noses surgically corrected to breath properly.

this is one of y'all fools.  you can smell the chance worship.  can't hide that shit under a bushel basket.  let it shine baby

anyway Andrew Sibley is a tard

a great deal of morphological change can occur in a short period of time and yet not turn a dog into something that isn’t a dog. Changes in size, shape, colouration etc. occur, but still they are dogs, while the gene pool becomes ever more focussed on a few individuals.

this is fucking great.  we get folk taxonomy, ken ham, and the gene pool is an agent that fucking focusses.  The amount of biology these stupid stupid people command is abysmal, but that is OK stupid people should probably pay more taxes or work in mines or become professional athletes.  It is criminal when they instead wield such a colossal capital of pure-tee absolute mouthbreathingly malciously ignorant teleology just for fuck's sake.

Secondly, the compounding of harmful mutations is a major problem for inbreeding in small populations in the wild, so much so that it risks the viability of the breed / species itself

Yet it moves, stupid.  Now, why don't you tell us what the hell you mean by  
the breed / species itself?
 That's certainly worth a drink, yer buyin'.  I'll have something pink with fruit.

very next line

The problems association with the tumours that develop on the faces of Tasmanian Devils is a case in point.

This guys a Jenius!  He thinks he is scoring points by mooing about an observed macroevolutionary event published in Cell and most excellently blogged on by Carl Zimmer at the Loom (now on discover magazine).  Great read, it makes this snide little aside that much more tardalicious.  Andrew you are a trip man.  

god the rest is so god i'll just smear it here

And yet evolutionists will say that such small inbreeding populations have been an important part of the evolutionary process. The evidence suggests a different account, as it would constantly place evolving animals on the edge of extinction. Evolutionists will of course claim that artificial selection is not the same as natural selection because natural selection will weed out the unfit animals whereas human breeders don’t. But even that doesn’t help much as Haldane’s paradox highlights. Beneficial mutations are much rarer than harmful ones, and are more likely to be found in very large populations. But small, or isolated populations are required to get those mutations to spread through a population. The speed at which mutations become fixed in a population must also be sufficiently slow to weed out the far more numerous harmful mutations. Evolution then would require at the same time the benefit of very large populations and very small ones - without the overwhelmingly observed side effects that develop from compounding harmful mutations in small populations. Thus the gene pool of large populations cannot change much at all over time; while the gene pool of very small inbreeding populations in fact degrades making the species less fit overall.

I believe this is a classic case of confusing assumptions with predictions.  nothing in nature is as ideal as his concept of a breeding population.  the consequences of the failure of natural populations to fit these ideal model assumptions are what spur discovery. And all that haldane's dilemma creationist tard gargling is some of the most smugly stupid shit you can ever read on the internetz.  This fuckstick has dithered about nothing of consequence and now I know why.

is it this guy??

SIBLEY, ANDREW. BSc, MSc EDM (Open), FRMetS. Andrew edited and mainly wrote the Big Bang page. Andrew has worked as a weather forecaster for a number of years, including presentation of forecasts on BBC local radio. He completed an MSc in Environmental Decision Making in 2003 with the Open University, and as a Christian he has developed a keen interest in environmental and social ethics. He is also a Council Member of the Creation Science Movement based in Portsmouth, which was founded in 1932 to challenge the ethical, theological and scientific implications that belief in evolution presents to society. Andrew has recently (2005) written a book called "Restoring the ethics of Creation"

Well if it is, then he is supposedly a member of the
creation science movement.  and he is a frikkin limey.

and he looks a bit like Louis i believe.  and he is a god-damned weatherman!!!!  take that, chance worshipper.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Turncoat

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,03:34   

Quote (Thought Provoker @ Sep. 01 2008,22:14)
To Liz Lizard (or alternate),

If you are here.  My compliments on your comment to UD.  I agree it was destined to get you banned but it was a very well presented point.

It shows that candid talk about religious motivations is an absolute "no no".

Saying something like "me thinks UD doth protest too much" is undoubtedly too much an understatement, especially in this thread.

Welcome to the very long list of those banned from uncommon descent.

P.S. It looks like I need to modify this.  The discussion that followed on UD did attempt to address it.  Having a code of ethics can be a pain at times.     :(

I suspect that Elizabeth "Lizard" Bailey knows a bit of Aikido, but lost her cool in the heat of the battle. She should have highlighted Fuller's contradictions of Dembski, reiterated her admiration for Fuller, and left it at that. But she might contend that one never really loses when provoking the Expelled to show how readily he expels.

I am considering traveling to Austin next weekend to visit with family, and then swinging through Waco on Tuesday for ASA executive director Randy Isaac's presentation. No matter that Fuller slams theistic evolution, the ASA should, in my opinion, push Fuller's "honest ID" as hugely preferable to the Discovery Institute's downgraded creationism.

Something many of you don't understand, I think, is just how highly Christian conservatives value honesty and fairness. If you do nothing but slam ID, which they see as obviously true, you make them believe that you are unfair, if not evil. If you instead find some good things to say about a brand of ID that emphasizes "trying to get into the mind of God," and that calls for open discussion (free expression) of the religious views of scientists, and that does not attempt to prove what most of them believe should be accepted on faith anyway, you are not likely to be taken for an atheistic dogmatist.

Liz Bailey thinks somewhat more highly of Fuller than I do. But I see considerable strategic value in lauding someone who insists that belief in ID is a heuristic guiding research, and not something to be proven correct by means of research. There's no creationism in Fuller's ID that I can make out. And the fact that Fuller served as an expert witness for the defense in the Dover case is something to be taken advantage of, not given as an excuse for an antigen response.

--------------
I never give them hell. I just tell the truth about them, and they think it's hell. — Harry S Truman

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,05:04   

Turncoat --  There are atheists, agnistics, and believers of various stripes in this forum, united largely only by a desire to point out what is clearly wrong with ID.

It will seem to some that you are advocating public-relations politicking and compromise with the deliberately dishonest.

I'm writing this late at night, and I'm sure I'll find better ways of phrasing things in the AM, but this whole problem is one of the most complex I know of, and I don't think complex social problems are regularly solved by anything less than complex solutions.

(1) I don't personally have a problem with using PR ; I tend to believe that *IF* believers were in fact being honest with themselves and others, that they'd see the futility of trying to "prove" that which requires faith (or so they say) by their own teachings.

Allowing them that leeway without attacking directly might in fact be useful in a public-relations sense.

(2) However, I also don't believe most *people* are honest with themselves -- not about many, many things -- including about what ID represents and ID goals.

ID/creationism itself is about power, at least if we are to take them for their Wedge Document word. They want their beliefs to be shown true, to the exclusion of all others and they were/are interested in social dominance and power. They are not interested in truth when it doesn't suit that agenda.

Religion itself is often about social control and power, but it's also about dozens of other things; fear of death, comfort, strength, feeling joy and at-one with the universe, "ultimate meaning and purpose" etc, etc. It's the ultra-Swiss Army knife of memes, so to speak. It is at the root of many people's identities and no amount of evidence or PR will easily convince them otherwise, if ever. Very often, conservative true believers will die first, or kill you and seek salvation later. Either way, not good.

Anyway, power ultimately trumps honesty more often than not, in my experience.

While you feel that Christian conservatives highly value honesty, I think it's possible to point to many examples of high-profile Christian leaders that have been caught lying, cheating, sinning, whatever, and then forgiven because it's built into Christianity that such things can be forgiven.

So honesty may be valued in the conservative Christian mind -- but dishonesty can also be excused and forgiven,  particularly when power is at stake.

Granted, the idea is to expose ID as fraudulent, AND to win over the minds of the public, but up until recently, straightforward Young Earth Creationism held sway in the conservative christian mind. YEC was defeated evidentially (and it is defeated in terms of evidence) by straightforward science -- not PR and compromise.

Yet, if polls are to be taken as evidence, MOST American conservative Christians STILL adhere to young earth special creationism, some of it clothed in ID terms. They do so not due to the evidence (which honesty would compel them to agree with -- like radiometric dating and a hundred other points). Rather, they continue to believe because it's what they want to believe, regardless of the evidence and honesty be damned.

None of these things speak well of a single-focus strategy, not of just PR work and compromise, nor of *just* battering with evidence. I'll just end by saying that carrots and sticks can obviously be used simultaneously, but I'm not sure what else is missing. You're not completely wrong, but you're not completely right, (and neither am I). I'll try to think about this more and see if I can make my words more succinct and less abrasive in future posts on the topic, but as I said, it's late here.

Cheers, anyway.

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,06:47   

Quote (Turncoat @ Sep. 02 2008,01:34)
I am considering traveling to Austin next weekend to visit with family, and then swinging through Waco on Tuesday for ASA executive director Randy Isaac's presentation.

If you do make that trip, you might also swing by Carl Baugh's Creation Evidence Museum to gaze at his latest discovery of human and dinosaur co-existance:

http://stonesnbones.blogspot.com/2008/08/baughs-fake-foot-round-2.html

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,06:54   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 01 2008,23:01)
WMAD never gives up:      
Randy Isaac, the executive director of the ASA (i.e., the American Scientific Affiliation — an organization of evangelical Christians largely committed to theistic evolution) will give a talk titled “Science: A Misused Weapon in a Religious War” at Baylor on September 9th. I’m fifteen minutes from the school, so I’ll probably be there.

Man I'd love to be there. WMAD is no match for Randy Isaac.

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,07:09   

On the dog breeding thread, the ever-reliable William Wallace weighs in with this nugget of neutron-star-density tard  
In the United States, the main problem is the AKC, which won’t allow the very outbreeding that created the breeds in the first place.

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,07:33   

Quote (deadman_932 @ Sep. 01 2008,22:20)

Quote (Maya @ Sep. 01 2008,20:16)
I spend the weekend moving back to school and check in here to find NASCAR bashing.  I thought all y'all had some culture.

It's my understanding that Dave "Scooter" Scot-Springer  practically absorbed NASCAR with his mother's milk:

Argggh,

May it never be!

In NASCAR fandom, we welcome: second-rate physicists, disgruntled F1-fans who belatedly discover their Y-chromosome, pit-lizards (let the reader understand), people with three rows of buck teeth who marry inside the family, drunkards, good-ole-boys, moonshiners, yuppies (there  are three cup races a year in California) libertarians (and two in New Hampshire) rust-belters (Michigan) masochists (Chicago) and NBC-planted “Muslim looking dudes.”

But we sniff-out and exterminate all pseudo-intellectuals. DS hasn’t a chance.

EDIT: BTW, a true citizen of NASCAR Nation would notice something terribly wrong with this, um, unadulterated photo. No, it's not that the woman appears to have all her teeth, but rather that the Miller Lite car is a Dodge Charger, not a Ford Taurus.

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,08:52   

Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 02 2008,06:54)
Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 01 2008,23:01)

WMAD never gives up:      

Man I'd love to be there. WMAD is no match for Randy Isaac.

Can I sock puppet beg for videoing / taping, puh-lease?

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,09:07   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Sep. 01 2008,16:44)

William Dembski

09/01/2008

4:10 pm

Liz Lizard is no longer with us.

It is generally not good to question Dembski on the very first comment on one of his posts.  He doesn't like that.

For the record, I had made the inference, based on past evidence, that Liz Lizard's comment wouldn't last long, so I thought I'd save it. Here is what she wrote that got her "no longer with us."

Liz Lizard
09/01/2008
3:16 pm
William Dembski:

It seems to me that Steve Fuller does not agree with you on some major points of ID. He emphasizes that religious belief in intelligently designed nature has served, and will serve, well as a heuristic guiding scientific exploration. He also emphasizes that belief in ID should be acknowledged openly as religiously motivated. He seems not to embrace the notion that empirical science can establish that aspects of nature have been designed by a non-material intelligence. If you have evidence that Fuller in fact agrees with you more than I have indicated, please point me to it.

Larry Fafarman: I am disappointed that Liz Lizard’s comment was censored — several commenters here responded to Liz’s comment and I would like to know exactly what she said.

Who says that AtBC doesn't provide a valuable public service?

Though Liz Lizard is gone, her comments echo in eternity! (Or at least until AtBC archives the thread.)

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,09:19   

Quote (Turncoat @ Sep. 02 2008,01:34)
Something many of you don't understand, I think, is just how highly Christian conservatives value honesty and fairness.

Who values the what and the what now?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,09:21   

i think there is a grave danger in pandering to lying snake peddlers, no matter how charismatic (or the opposite, per WMAD).  Some of these folks are those who wish to construct a grand ontological account to justify their theocratic agenda.  Teleological schemes fail miserably as explanation in science in general, but until there is a general theory of 'living organism' much less community or ecosystem or hell, cell, then it's just nonsense to inject this sort of notion into the discussion.

So I don't see how this 'heuristic benefit' accrues.  What Fuller is arguing to support is a silly appeal to democratic story telling.  If there is an objective real world then science can not be the postmodern love-in that he apparently envisions.  Some people are wrong for reasons you can point out.  "Being concerned with honesty and fairness" does not matter because some truths are painful;  insistence that the world must be as one has been told from literal words of gods instead of the way that appears to our senses is a dangerous thing and not one that should be isolated from the debate.

You can't correct these folks with facts.  Those are who concerned with facts will quickly see through the ID scam.  you did.  Most folks who honestly don't give a shit just need the happy little hunky-dory narrative that Fuller is advocating; I say that is a security blankie that is too dangerous for people to possess.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,09:42   

{Points at 'Ras' post above. Agrees}

That aside, this NASCAR crapola has gone on for too long. F1 is utter wank. NASCAR is no better. Watching greenhouse gas belching vehicles circle a track and getting hearing damage doesn't constitute anything remotely enjoyable to a sane or intelligent human. To Bob Chav and Bubba Hick it might be exciting, but only because they are scum. The only good thing about motorsport racing of any kind is DOING IT! Watching it is a pseudomacho scumtivity.

The same goes for Vox Dei and martial arts. Don't tell me how cool they are, fucking SHOW me!

So if you are a Gracie brother* or a NASCAR sister shagging driver or one of those incredibly overpaid sluts in F1, then you get to tell me how cool it is. Until then: shut the fuck up!

Applies to Davetard for science/philosophy/thinking. Applies to W(hiny)M(anchild)A(ssbucket)D(embski) for honesty/cafeteria attendance/being rich. Applies to Dense-O'Tard for journalism. Applies to FTK for being human. And so on and so forth. I am pig sick of fanboys and cheerleaders.  They can all suck my left one.

Louis

P.S. Harsh? You betcha! Tongue in cheek.....quite probably!

* Insult them? Not a hope! I wouldn't go near them. Scary bastards to a man.

--------------
Bye.

Venus Mousetrap

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,09:45   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Sep. 02 2008,00:17)
Well if it is, then he is supposedly a member of the
creation science movement.  and he is a frikkin limey.

My gosh, have you seen that creation science site. Even AiG has more sophisticated babble than that. YU CANT PROVE ORIGINZ! NO TRANSISHUNAL FORMS! RADIOCARBON IZ FAKE! It's like talk origins never existed. :)

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,13:08   

Regarding my post above, to "Turncoat" -

I don't have any problems with theists per se. My problems with some of them begin when they attempt to impose their beliefs on others. I don't like the hijacking of politics for religious power and I don't like the kidnapping of science for sociopolitical purposes -- whether by the right OR left.

Turncoat, you said that it's "no matter" that Fuller slams theistic evolution (as "intellectually craven" ) -- while promoting his vision of ID as different from it. You believe that Fuller sees ID as a "heuristic guiding research," and not something to be proven correct by means of research.

But science itself makes no claims of absolute proofs, anyway. Beyond that, I don't buy Fuller's nonsense in the least. It's disingenuous lip-service so far as I can see. He apparently sees ID as an outgrowth of natural theology and not modern creationism...yet he decries natural theology, because he imagines ID to be ... what? "More sciencey?" Despite it having produced none, of itself?

Read his response to a book review of his work at UD here: http://www.uncommondescent.com/educati....-baboon

If anything, Fuller is even more philosophically incoherent than even Dembski -- simultaneously saying he accepts things while denying that he accepts them. His philosophical meanderings are based on cherry-picking, fallacy and outright falsehood. His knowledge of science as it exists today is laughable. Three small instances contained in that "response" above:

1. He claims that journals in molecular biology, genetics, natural history and field biology "make little reference even to evolution, let alone the signature Darwinian process of natural selection." This is nuts, but he'll try to weasel out of it by claiming that modern formulations expressed in such journals are not " real evolution" or "Darwinian," as he seeks to redefine and equivocate.

Hell, in that "response" he tries this by implying that;

2. There is no "canonical formulation of the theory [of Evolution] beyond the level of sloganeering." -- which is again, nonsense and indicative of his basic ignorance of the field. In biology, "evolution" is commonly defined as the differential success of alleles and their frequencies in populations through time:

" Biological evolution ... is change in the properties of populations of organisms that transcend the lifetime of a single individual.. The changes in populations that are considered evolutionary are those that are inheritable via the genetic material from one generation to the next. "- Douglas J. Futuyma in Evolutionary Biology, Sinauer Associates 1986

"In fact, evolution can be precisely defined as any change in the frequency of alleles within a gene pool from one generation to the next." - Helena Curtis and N. Sue Barnes, Biology, 5th ed. 1989 Worth Publishers, p.974

This has led to the basic theory of how this occurs: variation, differential success, selection, reproduction, etc. Certainly we are now faced with the "evo-devo- revo" (lution) that will likely usher in the "New Synthesis" which subsumes the "NeoDarwinian Modern Synthesis," but so what? That's how science works, and that is the greatest strength of science - that it doesn't posit immutable, eternal "answers."

Fuller would no doubt try to point to people like William Provine to dispute these "canonical formulations" that are "beyond the level of sloganeering", but this too would highlight Fuller's ignorance. I'm sure he'd then fall back on his naive and erroneous notion that "real" formulations would be "fully expressible in agreed mathematical terms." and that the above were somehow not "fully" expressible. Again, b-s and fallacies.

3. His claim that the theory of evolution by natural selection is itself NOT ‘value-neutral’ with the implication that it represents institutionalized atheism within science and some kind of atheistic intent by Darwin, probably. This is again, sheer bullshit.

Fuller's site contains loads of his crap and can be sliced and diced on all levels: philosophically, historically, scientifically.

I'll be clear: I prefer Dembski's outright hatred to Fuller's facile camel-nose-under-the-tent. I'd prefer to deal with "Theistic Evolution" to Fuller's currently-unsupportable claims about what *his* thus-imaginary "version" of (already vacuous) ID MIGHT do.

I have no intention of "supporting" Fuller's version for public relations purposes, because I currently see Fuller as being even less honest than Dembski, and that's saying a great deal indeed.

I recognize the need to try to educate the public and "win the minds" of the coming generations, but I see no comfort or real utility in embracing a poisonous little shrew like Fuller.

ETA: I should add that I'd be glad to be convinced otherwise about my current view, by Fuller or anyone.

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,15:30   

I've been paying more attention to my collegiate career than to this thread the last few weeks.

Have the TARDs produced a Scientific Theory of Intelligent Design in my absence?

No?

Nah, I didn't think so.

Please resume your mockery of the TARD mines.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,15:47   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Sep. 02 2008,15:30)
I've been paying more attention to my collegiate career than to this thread the last few weeks.

Have the TARDs produced a Scientific Theory of Intelligent Design in my absence?

No?

Nah, I didn't think so.

Actually, Bat^shit77 along with godtube has found this:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-295164

Oooh, ooh, Dr. Dembski...

--------------

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,16:00   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 02 2008,15:47)

Quote (Lou FCD @ Sep. 02 2008,15:30)

No?

Nah, I didn't think so.

Actually, Bat^shit77 along with godtube has found this:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-295164

Oooh, ooh, Dr. Dembski...

He has, apparently, also found out how to turn off the nanny filter.  Excerpted:

The abstract of the September 1006 Report of the Dark Energy Task Force (which, was established by the Astronomy and Astrophysics Advisory Committee [AAAC] and the High Energy Physics Advisory Panel [HEPAP] as a joint sub-committee to advise the Department of Energy, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, and the National Science Foundation on future dark energy research) says: ‘Dark energy appears to be the dominant component of the physical Universe, yet there is no persuasive theoretical explanation for its existence or magnitude.

I'm going to miss that nanny filter. :(

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,16:07   

Dembski needs to upgrade to the Sternber^ger3000.

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,17:02   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 02 2008,22:07)

Is that the one with the all new special word filter that censors words like bro^wn, smel^ly, fu........

{sound of larks chirruping and other countryside noises}

Louis

--------------
Bye.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,20:11   

Quote (Louis @ Sep. 02 2008,17:02)
Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 02 2008,22:07)

Is that the one with the all new special word filter that censors words like bro^wn, smel^ly, fu........

{sound of larks chirruping and other countryside noises}

Louis

No, no, no, sir!

You are confusing the Sternber^ger 3^000 with the Steinmatic 3,000, which will take properly formulated theories, turn them upside down, and inside out and then expell them.

The Sternber^ger 1200 0f course will take objective criteria, perform an automatic quote-mine, and spit them out.

You may also be subject to the random cross-wire problem which often plagued the early model, causing perfectly formed words and phrases to come out as gibberish and unintelligible rubbish,  leading up to the DI's attempt to re-lable and brand the early machines as "O'Learys".

Fat lot of good it did them as they entire future of the DI and it's machinery was put on notice in Dover.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,22:36   

What neither crowd can accept is the pan-Messiah. Here is the Second Coming on Planet Zarcon:

I was about to ask what the heck that is in the picture, but unfortunately, following the URL of the image supplied the answer. :p

Henry

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,22:36   

deadman_932, posted 9/02/08 4:04 AM
[...]
None of these things speak well of a single-focus strategy, not of just PR work and compromise, nor of *just* battering with evidence. I'll just end by saying that carrots and sticks can obviously be used simultaneously, but I'm not sure what else is missing. You're not completely wrong, but you're not completely right, (and neither am I). I'll try to think about this more and see if I can make my words more succinct and less abrasive in future posts on the topic, but as I said, it's late here.

IOW, there is no one-size-fits-all, there's got to be lots of sizes. Also a variety of approaches.

Henry

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,23:23   

Massimo Pigliucci a worrisome character from the POV of science education.
DaveScot

...If Massimo doubts that the science establishment can present the evidence for a round earth, like live satellite images, well enough to let children use critical thinking skills to decide if the scientists have made a compelling case, then quite frankly Pigliucci is a worrisome character whose own critical thinking skills leave a lot to be desired.

I dunno, Dave. You've managed to misconstrue a planetary-scale network of consilient theory and data that supports contemporary evolutionary theory, and substitute your own peculiar and vaguely pathetic speculation vis front-loading to boot.

Its all right there in front of you.

(Not that you give a rat's ass about any of the bullshit you post).

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 02 2008,23:29   

He wants an end-to-end, every molecular change catalogued mechanism, just like ID ha....... oh, never mind.

--------------

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 03 2008,05:42   

deadman wrote: Turncoat, you said that it's "no matter" that Fuller slams theistic evolution (as "intellectually craven" ) -- while promoting his vision of ID as different from it. You believe that Fuller sees ID as a "heuristic guiding research," and not something to be proven correct by means of research.

Turner doesn't even know what theistic evolution is!  Here's his definition from The IDiot's Blog  
What normally passes today for ‘theistic evolution’ (i.e. the position of Ken Miller, Francis Collins and, in Britain, Denis Alexander) openly promotes just such a dichotomy: God sets the natural world in motion – perhaps even by a toss of the chemical dice – and what follows can be explained as if God had never existed. It implies that however our thoughts about the nature of God might change, they cannot affect our science – and vice versa. It is to ID’s great credit that it refuses to accept this intellectually craven stance.

It's to ID's great shame that it doesn't even recognize the definition of DEISM when it hears it and calls it theistic evolution instead.

In the real world, theistic evolution is the belief that God created the world and is using evolution to do the main work of producing the animals and plants that he desires, while restricting Himself to giving evolution an occasional nudge.

Fuller doesn't even understand his own side!

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 03 2008,09:31   

DaveScot has a Mephistophelean moment:

(no, I didn't create this one, tho I wonder if someone here did.)

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 03 2008,12:44   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Sep. 03 2008,09:31)
DaveScot has a Mephistophelean moment:

(no, I didn't create this one, tho I wonder if someone here did.)

Undercover Cat on the "Floating Command Center / Sciencey Lab".

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 03 2008,14:20   

PaV fails to acknowledge the role of [changing] environments in evolution:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....picycle

TARD.

--------------

14997 replies since July 17 2008,19:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (500) < ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]