RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 871 872 873 874 875 [876] 877 878 879 880 881 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,06:26   

Quote (Annyday @ Mar. 21 2008,03:43)
Quote (stevestory @ Mar. 21 2008,02:43)
http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....xpelled

18 March 2008
Pat Robertson interviews Ben Stein about EXPELLED
William Dembski

Check out this CBN segment that features Ben Stein, David Berlinski and yours truly: GO HERE.
These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.

It's like being punched in the face with tard.

I'm getting too old for this.

Hahahahahahahah.

Ben Stein thinks there's not going to be a depression ... because the Federal Reserve will flood the country with money. Because that never does anything bad, and will certainly save us all. Two minutes later, he complains about the falling value of the dollar. He appears to see no contradiction between those two things.

And then he moves on to ID ...

About a month ago, he said all the financal problems were caused by a cabal of short-sellers.  Guess that "explanation" is inoperative now.

Go to salon.com and search for "Ben Stein".  We're not the only ones who have noticed that he's barking at the moon crazy.  Everybody on Wall Street noticed it long ago.

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,06:44   

Quote (stevestory @ Mar. 21 2008,03:43)
http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....xpelled

18 March 2008
Pat Robertson interviews Ben Stein about EXPELLED
William Dembski

Check out this CBN segment that features Ben Stein, David Berlinski and yours truly: GO HERE.
These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.

Now THERE is some incoherent babbling.

Robertson (loosely, as it would be dangerous to watch this again): "There were these scientists who created these test tubes, and they put in some amino acids and ran electricity through it and all they got were some cells. That's not life..."

Stein: "Evolution doesn't explain why the planets stay in their orbits, it doesn't explain physics, it doesn't explain atoms, it doesn't explain energy...No one has EVER observed the evolution of a new mammalian species."

Oy.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,07:32   

Quote (stevestory @ Mar. 21 2008,02:43)

These days I just have a continual feeling of incoherent rage.

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,08:50   

DaveScot:    
You are correct in that most people (not everyone) don’t believe ATP synthase was assembled from scratch in one step. That’s because they don’t believe in the possibility of a designer but they do accept the explanatory filter’s output. The explanatory filter’s output in this case is a design inference IF ATP synthase was assembled from scratch in one step.

Therefore the discussion becomes not about whether or not the explanatory filter works but rather about whether or not some incremental process (law and chance) can explain the assemblage of ATP synthase in steps where each step falls through the explanatory filter without a design inference.

Joseph, 2 comments later:

That is false Jack. The EF does NOT require and the calculations do not require that the object/ structure in question arose simultaneously by chance.

This is clear to anyone who has read and understood “No Free Lunch”.

That you trumpet such a strawman demonstrates that you are either ignorant of the ID position or you are dishonest by misrepresenting it.

The rest of DaveScot's comment is worth a chuckle

We can never prove that no possible path exists for law & chance but that doesn’t make the design explanation non-science. If the design explanation is not falsifiable then I will agree it is non-science. But it IS falsifiable. If a single law and chance pathway is found then it falsifies the design explanation.

A single "law and chance" pathway eh DS? Hmm.....

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,09:42   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Mar. 21 2008,08:50)
The rest of DaveScot's comment is worth a chuckle

On the contrary, he has inspired the ever-tardarific Poachy to become a ID theorist:

Therefore,if you wish to falsify the design hypothesis for ATP synthase the burden is on you to describe the law & chance pathway. Otherwise it remains a perfectly valid scientific hypothesis. The hypothesis grows stronger as more effort to falsify it meets with failure just as the black swan hypothesis will grow stronger if continued searching fails to find a black swan.

This does my heart good and I cannot help but chuckle. You have touched upon a clever strategy by which we ID advocates need to sit back and do nothing while the hapless Darwinists have to struggle in their laboratories and writing for their silly journals. And in the end, who wins? ID wins!

What a great career it must be to be an ID luminary! Do you think they have a dental plan?

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,11:12   

I know that there is a lot of competition, but this post by DLH has to be the single dumbest opening post ever on UD. To keep you from increasing the traffic at that site, here is a taste of tard.    
Darwinians objecting to Michael Behe’s Irreducible Complexity appeal to indirect “scaffolding” or Roman Arch routes that support the assembly and are later discarded. Now research shows cancer is caused by mutations in the CARD11 gene that forms a cytoplasmic scaffolding docking site for a signaling molecule.

If mutations in genes forming known scaffolding lead to cancer, why should we believe that numerous mutations needed to form genes to make hypothetical scaffolding will create properly functioning irreducible complex systems?

This is so stupid on so many levels that it has to be a parody. Not even Galapagos Finch has dipped this low into the tard bucket...

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,11:19   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Mar. 21 2008,12:12)
I know that there is a lot of competition, but this post by DLH has to be the single dumbest opening post ever on UD. To keep you from increasing the traffic at that site, here is a taste of tard.    
Darwinians objecting to Michael Behe’s Irreducible Complexity appeal to indirect “scaffolding” or Roman Arch routes that support the assembly and are later discarded. Now research shows cancer is caused by mutations in the CARD11 gene that forms a cytoplasmic scaffolding docking site for a signaling molecule.

If mutations in genes forming known scaffolding lead to cancer, why should we believe that numerous mutations needed to form genes to make hypothetical scaffolding will create properly functioning irreducible complex systems?

This is so stupid on so many levels that it has to be a parody. Not even Galapagos Finch has dipped this low into the tard bucket...

Dammit AB, you beat me to it, word for word.

I think even DLH recognizes how deeply stupid his post really is:
PS Or does the play on the meaning of “Scaffolding” invalidate the argument?

Uh, YEAH.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,13:30   

Hey, have you seen the Uncommonly Dense "PZ gets expelled from Expelled!" thread?

Neither have I.  :angry:

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,13:48   

Richard - the matter has been alluded to:
http://www.uncommondescent.com/atheism/dr-berlinkskis-book-tour/#comment-189684

larrynormanfan

03/21/2008

12:43 am

Tard Alert!

A great way to meet authors and commenters from the Uncommon Descent community is to attend Discovery Institute events like this one.

But what if PZ Meyers shows up?

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,13:59   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Mar. 21 2008,13:48)
Richard - the matter has been alluded to:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/atheism/dr-berlinkskis-book-tour/#comment-189684

larrynormanfan

03/21/2008

12:43 am

Tard Alert!

A great way to meet authors and commenters from the Uncommon Descent community is to attend Discovery Institute events like this one.

But what if PZ Meyers shows up?

CSI stands for the "Covered in Sand Index" which is a denial index based how deep you must bury your head to stop reality getting in.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,14:52   

Hi all.  I really hate it when I have to really work all day...

Anything happen?

kidding - I knew about the PZ / expelled thing last night!

BUT. I haven't read any comments today - maybe not till way later - got deadline..

BUT -  DOES THIS COUNT AS A FRIDAY MELTDOWN?

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,15:03   

Quote (J-Dog @ Mar. 21 2008,12:52)

The cop was wearing a uniform, not a sweater.  And there's no evidence that, after threatening PZM with arrest, he said "By the way, I have two PhDs."  So no.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,15:11   

Quote (JohnW @ Mar. 21 2008,15:03)

The cop was wearing a uniform, not a sweater.  And there's no evidence that, after threatening PZM with arrest, he said "By the way, I have two PhDs."  So no.

Just because there is no evidence, does not mean it never happened.  I don't have to sink to your pathetic level of detail.  So there.

edited for foolishly hurried sp

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,15:43   

JPCollado: Whether scathing or favorable, Black Box was nonetheless reviewed, therefore contradicting statements to the contrary.

Perhaps they should put the peer comments on the bookjacket.

"appalling and unsupported"
  "misrepresenting many important points and disingenuous"
  "conclusions are false"
  "did not review the book at all"

Darwin's Black Box. Now on Sale!

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,15:51   

JPCollado: I just want to know why the Japanese have a monopoly on the nylonase issue, since it seems to have not been replicated anywhere else in the planet or followed-up by other non-Japanese researchers.

Hey, JPCollado. This might be a great ID research project! Prove that the Japanese some unspecified and unnamed Designer designed nylonase.

Nylonase: It's complex enough. It's specified enough. And gosh darn it, people like CSI.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,16:23   

DaveScot: Therefore, if you wish to falsify the design hypothesis for ATP synthase the burden is on you to describe the law & chance pathway. Otherwise it remains a perfectly valid scientific hypothesis. The hypothesis grows stronger as more effort to falsify it meets with failure just as the black swan hypothesis will grow stronger if continued searching fails to find a black swan.

Not knowing how frogs reappear in the spring is not evidence of intelligent design. We can't even show that the claim applies *anywhere*. Not a single *instance*.

DaveScot: Similarly, the hypothesis that the law of gravity is the same everywhere in the universe can never be proven as we cannot, even in principle, measure it everywhere in the universe.

We can show that the laws of gravity apply *anywhere* we look. Every known *instance*.

DaveScot: If the prosecution can establish means, motive, and opportunity and any other explanation for the crime is beyond reasonable doubt that is sufficient to get a conviction.

That's exactly right. We garner confidence in our conclusions with increasing knowledge of the alleged perpetrator; means, motive and opportunity.

--------------

Hermagoras

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,20:23   

larrynormanfan presses the PZ Expulsion issue:
DaveScot, I don’t think PZM wears brass knuckles or any other weaponry. Anyway he probably won’t be there; DC is a far cry from Minnesota, where PZ lives and where he was expelled from an Expelled screening.

--------------
"I am not currently proving that objective morality is true. I did that a long time ago and you missed it." -- StephenB

http://paralepsis.blogspot.com/....pot.com

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,21:50   

Quote (Hermagoras @ Mar. 21 2008,20:23)
larrynormanfan presses the PZ Expulsion issue:  
DaveScot, I don’t think PZM wears brass knuckles or any other weaponry. Anyway he probably won’t be there; DC is a far cry from Minnesota, where PZ lives and where he was expelled from an Expelled screening.

What is it about IDists and Irony?

Check out the date for Berlinski's personal appearance:

The Devil’s Delusion U.S. Book Tour with David Berlinski

"I’m planning on being at the book release party at the Discovery Institute DC Office on April 1, 2008. Hope to see some of you there…"

--------------

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 21 2008,23:56   

After saying only  
"Hello World!"
for more than 9 months the Biologic Institute finally published managed to get a post published:  
Comments on F-type ATPase

There is no junk here.  The ATPase is made not of four amino acids but four thousand—more like an essay than a paragraph (much less a word).  Could it have started out much smaller?  Not much, in view of the two sections that have to be coupled for it to work.  Like an essay, it might withstand trimming in some places, and some of the parts might be reworded if we knew the rules of composition for proteins.  Typos can be tolerated to an extent, as with essays.  But none of this explains how random single-letter changes can produce new essays, whether from scratch or from existing essays on other subjects.  According to intuition, there’s only one way to get an essay.
Quite disappointing considering that this is supposed to be the blog of the ID research lab.

EDIT: Seemingly, comments are not welcome.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2008,00:46   

UD finally gets a communique from Tardquarters:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/expelle....reening

21 March 2008
Discovery News Release on Richard Dawkins Crashing EXPELLED Screening
William Dembski
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PRESS CONTACT: ROBERT CROWTHER
DISCOVERY INSTITUTE
(206) 292-0401 X107
ROB@DISCOVERY.ORG

Richard Dawkins, World’s Most Famous Darwinist, Stoops to Gate-crashing Expelled
by Bruce Chapman, www.evolutionnews.org

Like many films im pre-release, Ben Stein’s Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed is being selectively screened around the country to develop a buzz.

There is a growing fear by the producers that Darwinists may be trying get into the showings to make bootleg copies (for the Web?), possibly in hopes of damaging the commercial value. Others may be crashing because they want to trash it before it even gets reviewed by the media. P.Z. Myers, who was not let into a showing last night in Minnesota, probably falls in the latter category.

Amazingly, the best selling Oxford scientist/author Richard Dawkins also crashed a showing of Expelled in Minnesota last night and he not only was let in, but introduced at the end of the showing.

Dawkins apparently acknowledged that he had not been invited and did not have a ticket. A sophomoric side to his ideological is thus revealed.

Dawkins, understandably is nervous about this film, among other reasons because Ben Stein has him on camera acknowledging that life on Earth may, indeed, have been intelligently designed, but that it had to have been accomplished by space aliens! This is hilarious, of course, because Dawkins is death on intelligent design. But it turns out that that view applies only if it includes the possibility that the designer might be God.

Myers, of course, relished being expelled from Expelled, but objective observers know that Myers is the most vociferous advocate of expelling Darwin critics from academia. Not from movie pre-screenings where he wasn’t invited, mind you, but from their jobs. Too bad the film doesn’t show (and I wish it had), his promotion of advice to attack teachers and professors who dare question Darwin’s theory. The whole point of Myers is that he is a take-no-prisoners, crusading atheist scientist who has made it his purpose in life to harass people who disagree with him. Dawkins turns out to be his buddy and mutual admirer.

Frankly, I wish the producers would have a special pre-release screening for the Darwinists who are interviewed in the film — and invite some of the rest of us who have seen their depredations up close. We’d be glad to debate right there.

Among other things, I’d like to read some of the Darwinists’ statements and charges back to them and ask them to defend themselves. One of the most preposterous is that the well-funded’ Discovery Institute is funding this film! ( 1-They seem to have far more money available to them than we do, and 2-We are saving our pennies for the upcoming Broadway musical comedy, Darwin’s Folly.)

I have to say something else, personally. I have been sandbagged by one TV and documentary crew after another. So have Discovery-affiliated scientists. The interviewers all say they just want to understand the issue. Going in, they are quite clear about definitions, for example, and only start using Darwinist definitions of our positions when they report. They never provide questions in advance and even if they say they will stick to science questions and public policy, almost all sneak in questions about personal religious beliefs. Then, of all the footage, guess what gets on TV or in the documentary?

So it really is pathetic of Dawkins, et al to complain that when they were interviewed for Expelled they didn’t know that the film was inherently unfriendly. These are interviewees who received pre-agreed questions, signed release forms after the interviews were conducted, and actually got paid for their time.

I am getting more excited about Expelled myself and can’t wait to see the finished version. I suspect I’ll wish that the film was twice as long and had twice as much from Dawkins, P.Z. Myers, et al. From what I already have seen, they really expose themselves as the anti-intellectual, bullying poseurs they are — small men who above all are afraid of a fair contest.

--------------

dnmlthr

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2008,04:20   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Mar. 22 2008,00:46)

I'm fairly new to this game, but are DI "press releases" always this filled with hyperbole, downright lies and sweet sweet tard?

--------------
Guess what? I don't give a flying f*ck how "science works" - Ftk

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2008,04:43   

Quote (dnmlthr @ Mar. 22 2008,04:20)

Quote (Richardthughes @ Mar. 22 2008,00:46)

I'm fairly new to this game, but are DI "press releases" always this filled with hyperbole, downright lies and sweet sweet tard?

Always. If the tard seems particularly thick in this instance, it's because it's enriched by the hilarious context.

Further tard from Frosty on that UD thread:

Meyers just wanted to see the movie cause hes a left wing atheist ego-trip. He wanted to find out as much as he could so he could go to work trashing the movie. For people like him its all about thier absurd poltical idiology. We ID advocates never ask that evolution not be taught- but his side does everything in their power to squash free speach- and that’s sad.

He's in the movie, man. Wanting to see a movie that you're in is not evidence of vast, censorious evil.

Frosty has to be a sock puppet. Right?

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

dnmlthr

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2008,05:28   

[quote=William Dembski]
Leo Stotch: The derision is not over his coming over to the ID side; the derision is over his saying the origin-of-life problem admits a solution by hyper-intelligent aliens bringing about life on earth (yes, this is an ID option) and then turning around and saying God is a completely whacked out solution to the same problem.
[/quote]

If anyone needed any further proof that Dembski simply doesn't understand or want to understand the distinction between naturalistic and supernatural explanations, enjoy.

/dnmlthr, stuck in moderation

--------------
Guess what? I don't give a flying f*ck how "science works" - Ftk

Jake

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2008,06:21   

Quote (sparc @ Mar. 21 2008,23:56)
After saying only    
"Hello World!"
for more than 9 months the Biologic Institute finally published managed to get a post published:  

There is no junk here.  The ATPase is made not of four amino acids but four thousand—more like an essay than a paragraph (much less a word).  Could it have started out much smaller?  Not much, in view of the two sections that have to be coupled for it to work.  Like an essay, it might withstand trimming in some places, and some of the parts might be reworded if we knew the rules of composition for proteins.  Typos can be tolerated to an extent, as with essays.  But none of this explains how random single-letter changes can produce new essays, whether from scratch or from existing essays on other subjects.  According to intuition, there’s only one way to get an essay.
Quite disappointing considering that this is supposed to be the blog of the ID research lab.

Pity, 'cos I have a comment.

AIG have been pushing this exact same argument, using the F-type ATP synthase, since at least 2005. I thought ID was supposed to be different from creationism?

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2008,07:12   

According to intuition, there’s only one way to get an essay.

And of course intuition trumps science.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2008,07:16   

Quote (sparc @ Mar. 22 2008,00:56)
After saying only    
"Hello World!"

"According to intuition." That settles it.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2008,08:03   

"According to intuition." That settles it.

Keep in mind radical right wing Christian Reconstructionist Howard "McDuck" Ahmanson the Tourette's Syndrome suffering straight dirty talking sex rights  activist in the Episcopal church and other followers of ecce homo, loves playing the piano.....could "According to intuition" just be Accordion Tuition?

*Ha..... there is a god I edited this twice..make that 3x

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Timothy McDougald

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2008,08:38   

Dawkins turns out to be his buddy and mutual admirer.

Wait, is it me or is this some kind of insinuation that PZ and Dawkins are gay?

--------------
Church burning ebola boy

FTK: I Didn't answer your questions because it beats the hell out of me.

PaV: I suppose for me to be pried away from what I do to focus long and hard on that particular problem would take, quite honestly, hundreds of thousands of dollars to begin to pique my interest.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2008,09:44   

Quote (JohnW @ Mar. 21 2008,15:03)

It's a meltdown and it's an ID meltdown, it just wasn't Dembski's and it just wasn't on a Friday.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 22 2008,12:28   

p.noyola is cruisin' for a bannin'

… small men who above all are afraid of a fair contest.

As opposed to the DI fellows who testified at Dover.
Please.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 871 872 873 874 875 [876] 877 878 879 880 881 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]