RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (202) < ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... >   
  Topic: AF Dave's UPDATED Creator God Hypothesis, Creation/Evolution Debate< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
JMX

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,10:07   

All he displayed was his ability to Lie For jesus ™.

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,10:34   

I see AFDave is still running his dishonest "Gish Gallop." Cute.

Good thing it doesn't hold up in a court of law, where creationists go to see their claims die.

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,10:50   

AFDave seems to be under the misconception that --if you lie loud enough and long enough and avoid topics, while redefining terms and using every fallacy and rhetorical ploy known to man....that THAT kind of behavior = "I win."

I particularly like the pretense at being a victim, Dave.
You began your threads by insulting, you get smeared on your claims and now all you can do is the Gish Gallop to save face. Why is honest, direct give-and-take debate beyond you ?  Simple--you have to use these tatics to continue making more false claims.

Even when you have been shown wrong, as in the obvious Portuguese lies that you maintained, you have to pretend that you "won."

The bad part is you're obsessive-compulsive and a liar. The good part is that people around you are bound to notice your insane monomania.

--------------

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,11:02   

Wasn't Larry Fafarman suffering some sort of mental problem? AFDave sounds as if he has the same one. The arguments are different, the blindness to being repeatedly defeated  is similar.

Yes, Larry's brother took the time to detail his particular deficiencies once.

It's hard to say whether Dave suffers the same thing or not, but you're absolutely right about the commonalities of behavior.

...but it's not just those two that share them, just about any creobot can be found to share them to a great extent.

Gawp:

You're being irresponsible.

Deadman:

The good part is that people around you are bound to notice your insane monomania.

hmm, I'd bet not, or if they have, they think them "harmless".

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,11:20   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ June 18 2006,15:05)
Dave, keep up the good work. You're not just demonstrating the truth of the Bible, but your posts also expose the immaturity of the other side.

I strongly suspect that GoP is just messing with us here...

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,11:25   

It's not "us" I'm concerned with.  Dave will take it as tacit support for his MO, without seeing the sarcasm.

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,12:13   

Dave, keep up the good work. You're not just demonstrating the truth of the Bible, but your posts also expose the immaturity of the other side.

Bill, I think you might go to the hot place for encouraging him. :-)

--------------
2006 MVD award for most dogged defense of scientific sanity

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

normdoering

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,12:18   

your posts also expose the immaturity of the other side.

That's a valid, if very subjective, point.

But Dave has been equally immature.

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,12:21   

Deadman--  Wecome back!  I thought you had abandoned me!

What are you referring to when you say I am doing the Gish Gallop?  The C12/C14?

I said I am happy to continue to answer questions on that ... do you have some?

Aftershave does and I will be covering them.

Also, in my excitement to move to the next topic, I forgot that I have not yet shown you anything about pre-Flood C14 ratios ...

We'll cover that tomorrow as well ... then on to Isochron Discordance.

--------------
A DILEMMA FOR THE COMMITTED NATURALIST
A Hi-tech alien spaceship lands on earth ... DESIGNED.
A Hi-tech alien rotary motor found in a cell ... NOT DESIGNED.
http://afdave.wordpress.com/....ess.com

normdoering

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,12:52   

Quote (afdave @ June 18 2006,17:21)
I said I am happy to continue to answer questions ...

But you don't answer them. You re-interpret them to suit your ignorance.

When you linked an article with phrases like "...folded Mesozoic miogeoclinal rocks unconformably overlain by mid-Tertiary volcanics..." I asked you what do the terms "Mesozoic" and "mid-Tertiary" mean to you? I asked what does "Lower Cretaceous quartzites" mean to you?

Instead of answering the question, you just wrote the, well, geologists got it wrong. What wrong? Everything? Do you know why Mesozoic miogeoclinal rocks are Mesozoic miogeoclinal rocks? Or why mid-Tertiary volcanics are mid-Tertiary volcanics? How did they arrive at these names, Dave? Be specific.

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,14:13   

AFDave:
(1) use your computer to look up "Gish Gallop."  
(2) Notice how you haven't answered Occam's questions?
(3) Notice how you ignored ericmurphy on C14 and diamonds?
(4) Notice how you avoid the simple fact that you cannot and have not shown any word list of Portuguese terms derived directly from French?

So, Dave, why is it that you avoided all those things and then fill up pages with other material without answering what is asked you?

--------------

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,17:00   

I know your story about the Gish Gallop.

I answer Occam's questions that are relevant.  But he's trying to get me off on tree rings and varves and God knows what.  I am somewhat flexible in my outline, but I cannot just go for every rabbit trail.

I am not aware of how I ignored Eric on C14 and diamonds.  I think I have answered everything that is on topic and relevant.  JonF had the most salient points so I concentrated on him.

You will notice that I am polite to people who don't play silly games.  Like you for instance, for a while.  You were pretty civil on the helium-zircon topic and we took it about as far as it could go.  Where we are at is that we disagree ... but at least we got our points across.

The people that act asinine, though, are a different matter.  My approach is simply to shine a spotlight on their own asininity so that everyone can see it clearly.

Norm ... I understand the name of the geologic periods very well and actually will be using them in our discussion of the Flood.  Yes, I think the long ages they represent are without basis and therefore bogus, but I will use the names nonetheless for convenience.

Deadman ... you forget what the issue was with the Portuguese discussion, so I will remind you ... I made a casual generalization: P=F+S, in a conversation about something else.  Rilke very rudely intruded into the conversation and said I was an idiot.  So I challenged her and she lost.  Then Arden and Faid got all wrapped around the axle wanting to split hairs about the precise origin of Portuguese.  There was no need for this because I was simply making a generalization similar to "the sky is blue."  So what we ended up with was something like this ...

AFD:  The sky is blue
Arden/Faid:  No it's not
AFD:  Yes it is
Arden/Faid:  No it's not, it's raining here and the sky is gray.
AFD:  OK. Fine, so it's not blue all the time.  I agree.
Arden/Faid:  It's nighttime and the sky is black
AFD:  OK. Fine, guys.  Whatever you say.  I still say the sky is blue.
Arden/Faid, etc.: AFD is a liar and a lunatic.  He says the sky is blue.
Norm:  Quit splitting hairs.
Ved: Let's just say "The sky is blue most of the time"
Improvius:  can we just come to a compromise?

When you really step back and think about the Portuguese discussion, it is a real hoot!!

Now what is really going on is that Arden and Faid really, really want me to lose because they don't like my view of origins.  So on they go!  How long?  Who knows?

--------------

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,17:23   

Davey, follow this link. :)

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,17:31   

You know, Dave, you really need to do better than just cutting and pasting an entire webpage from AiG. It's not like we haven't seen these same, wearisome "arguments" presented a million times before, and seen them shot down as flaming ruins a million time as well. Fortunately, since all the hard (well, not hard, but time-consuming) work of refuting them has already done, I don't have to do much work either.

(Sorry about the formatting; I gave up fighting with it. But you can figure out who said what from the busted formatting codes.)

So:

[quote=afdave,June 18 2006,07:43, c&p'ing from AiG]1. Galaxies wind themselves up too fast.[/quote]

Response:
[quote] Spiral arms are density waves, which, like sound in air, travel through the galaxy's disk, causing a piling-up of stars and gas at the crests of the waves. In some galaxies, the central bulge reflects the wave, giving rise to a giant standing spiral wave with a uniform rotation rate and a lifetime of about one or two billion years.

The causes of the density waves are still not known, but there are many possibilities. Tidal effects from a neighboring galaxy probably cause some of them.

The spiral pattern is energetically favorable. Spiral configurations develop spontaneously in computer simulations based on gravitational dynamics (Carlberg et al. 1999).[/quote]

To which I will add: stars at the edges of galaxies have shorter orbital periods than would be indicated by assuming all the mass of the galaxy is made up of visible matter. This is strong evidence for a lot of invisible matter, nature unknown, which makes AiG's argument nonsensical to begin with.

[quote=afdave,June 18 2006,07:43, c&p'ing from AiG]

2. Too few supernova remnants.  [/quote]

Response:

[quote]Many more SNRs have been found, including many Stage 3 remnants older than 20,000 years. And the census is not over yet. If the universe is old, many SNRs should have reached the third, oldest stage, and that is what we see. The evidence contradicts a young universe, not an old one.

Davies's estimate of what proportion of SNRs should be visible to us is grossly oversimplified. It is impossible to say with certainty what proportion should be visible. Furthermore, he ignores data, including observations of possible old remnants, that would weaken his case.

SNRs are relatively hard to see. They would not be visible for one million years, the figure Davies used in his calculations. A million years is the theoretical lifetime of a remnant; it will be visible for a much shorter time because of background noise and obscuring dust and interstellar matter. Fewer than 1 percent of SNRs last more than 100,000 years. It may be that as few as 15-20 percent of supernova events are visible at all through the interstellar matter.

Supernovas are evidence for an old universe in other ways:
Supernovas are evidence that stars have reached the end of their lifetime, which for many stars is billions of years.
The formation of new stars indicates that many are second generation; the universe must be old enough for some stars to go through their entire lifetime and for the dust from their supernovas to collect into new stars.
It takes time for the light from the supernovas to reach us. All supernovas and SNRs are more than 7,000 light-years from us. SN 1987A was 167,000 +/- 4,000 light years away. [/quote]

[quote=afdave,June 18 2006,07:43, c&p'ing from AiG]3. Comets disintegrate too quickly.[/quote]

Response:
  [quote]The comets that entered the inner solar system a very long time ago indeed have evaporated. However, new comets enter the inner solar system from time to time. The Oort Cloud and Kuiper Belt hold many comets deep in space, beyond the orbit of Neptune, where they do not evaporate. Occasionally, gravitational perturbations from other comets bump one of them into a highly elliptical orbit, which causes it to near the sun. [/quote]

and:

As of June 2000, more than 250 objects in the Kuiper Belt have been observed directly (Buie 2000), and it alone can be the source of short-term comets.

The Oort cloud has not been observed directly (although Sedna, a planetoid discovered in March 2004, might be in the Oort cloud), but its presence is well supported based on observations of long-period comets.

If there were no source for new comets to come from, all comets would have the same age. They do not. Some are young and have lots of gasses; others are little more than gravel heaps.

Quote (afdave @ June 18 2006,07:43, c&p'ing from AiG)
4. Not enough mud on the sea floor.

Response:

Yes, more sediment is deposited in the oceans than is removed by subduction. However, subduction is not the only fate of sediment deposited into the oceans. Some sediment deposited on the continental margin can become part of the continent itself if the sea level falls or the land is uplifted. Some calcium and organic sediments become biomass or ultimately dissolve. Some sediment becomes compacted as it deepens, so its volume is not indicative of the original sediment volume. Some sediment is "scraped" off of subducting plates and becomes coastal rocks.

The uniformitarian assumption in the claim is not valid. Tectonics involves ocean basins forming and spreading, but it also involves them closing up again (the Wilson cycle). When the basins close, the sediment in the oceans is piled up on the edges of continents or returned to the mantle. Much of British Columbia was produced when the Pacific Ocean closed a few hundred million years ago and land in the ocean accreted to the continent.

5. Not enough sodium in the sea.

Response:

Austin and Humphreys greatly underestimate the amount of sodium lost in the alteration of basalt. They omit sodium lost in the formation of diatomaceous earth, and they omit numerous others mechanisms which are minor individually but collectively account for a significant fraction of salt.

A detailed analysis of sodium shows that 35.6 x 1010 kg/yr come into the ocean, and 38.1 x 1010 kg/yr are removed (Morton 1996). Within measurement error, the amount of sodium added matches the amount removed.

6. The earth’s magnetic field is decaying too fast.

Response:

The earth's magnetic field is known to have varied in intensity (Gee et al. 2000) and reversed in polarity numerous times in the earth's history. This is entirely consistent with conventional models (Glatzmaier and Roberts 1995) and geophysical evidence (Song and Richards 1996) of the earth's interior. Measurements of magnetic field field direction and intensity show little or no change between 1590 and 1840; the variation in the magnetic field is relatively recent, probably indicating that the field's polarity is reversing again (Gubbins et al. 2006).

Empirical measurement of the earth's magnetic field does not show exponential decay. Yes, an exponential curve can be fit to historical measurements, but an exponential curve can be fit to any set of points. A straight line fits better.

T. G. Barnes (1973) relied on an obsolete model of the earth's interior. He viewed it as a spherical conductor (the earth's core) undergoing simple decay of an electrical current. However, the evidence supports Elsasser's dynamo model, in which the magnetic field is caused by a dynamo, with most of the "current" caused by convection. Barnes cited Cowling to try to discredit Elsasser, but Cowling's theorem is consistent with the dynamo earth.

Barnes measures only the dipole component of the total magnetic field, but the dipole field is not a measure of total field strength. The dipole field can vary as the total magnetic field strength remains unchanged.

7. Many strata are too tightly bent.

Response: I don't even need to do any research to rebut this argument, Dave. I heard the rebuttal on a tourist train ride in Campe Verde, AZ. The strata in question were deeply buried, where the temperature is much higher, and subsequently the strata in question were much more ductile than they are at the surface. Deeply buried rock at high temperatures bents much further without fracturing than cooler rock at the surface. Color me unimpressed.

8. Biological material decays too fast.
Natural radioactivity, mutations, and decay degrade DNA and other biological material rapidly. Measurements of the mutation rate of mitochondrial DNA recently forced researchers to revise the age of “mitochondrial Eve” from a theorized 200,000 years down to possibly as low as 6,000 years.17 DNA experts insist that DNA cannot exist in natural environments longer than 10,000 years, yet intact strands of DNA appear to have been recovered from fossils allegedly much older: Neandertal bones, insects in amber, and even from dinosaur fossils.18 Bacteria allegedly 250 million years old apparently have been revived with no DNA damage.19 Soft tissue and blood cells from a dinosaur have astonished experts.20

Soft tissue and blood have not been recovered from dinosaur fossils.

Response:

Schweitzer et al. did not find hemoglobin or red blood cells. Rather, they found evidence of degraded hemoglobin fragments and structures that might represent altered blood remnants. They emphasizd repeatedly that even those results were tentative, that the chemicals and structures may be from geological processes and contamination (Schweitzer and Horner 1999; Schweitzer and Staedter 1997; Schweitzer et al. 1997a, 1997b). The bone is exceptionally well preserved, so much so that it may contain some organic material from the original dinosaur, but the preservation should not be exaggerated.

The bone that Schweitzer and her colleagues studied was fossilized, but it was not altered by "permineralization or other diagenetic effects" (Schweitzer et al. 1997b). Permineralization is the filling of the bone's open parts with minerals; diagenetic effects include alterations like cracking. Schweitzer commented that the bone was "not completely fossilized" (Schweitzer and Staedter 1997, 35), but lack of permineralization does not mean unfossilized.

An ancient age of the bone is supported by the (nonradiometric) amino racemization dating technique.

Soft tissues have been found on fossils tens of thousands of years old, and DNA has been recovered from samples more than 300,000 years old (Stokstad 2003; Willerslev et al. 2003). If dinosaur fossils were as young as creationists claim, recovering DNA and non-bone tissues from them should be routine enough that it would not be news.

9. Fossil radioactivity shortens geologic “ages” to a few years. Radio Halo (photo courtesy of Mark Armitage)
Radiohalos are rings of color formed around microscopic bits of radioactive minerals in rock crystals.

Response:

Polonium forms from the alpha decay of radon, which is one of the decay products of uranium. Since radon is a gas, it can migrate through small cracks in the minerals. The fact that polonium haloes are found only associated with uranium (the parent mineral for producing radon) supports this conclusion, as does the fact that such haloes are commonly found along cracks (Brawley 1992; Wakefield 1998).

The biotite in which Gentry (1986) obtained some of his samples (Fission Mine and Silver Crater locations) was not from granite, but from a calcite dike. The biotite formed metamorphically as minerals in the walls of the dike migrated into the calcite. Biotite from the Faraday Mine came from a granite pegmatite that intruded a paragneiss that formed from highly metamorphosed sediments. Thus, all of the locations Gentry examined show evidence of an extensive history predating the formation of the micas; they show an appearance of age older than the three minutes his polonium halo theory allows. It is possible God created this appearance of age, but that reduces Gentry's argument to the omphalos argument, for which evidence is irrelevant (Wakefield 1998).

Stromatolites are found in rocks intruded by (and therefore older than) the dikes from which Gentry's samples came, showing that living things existed before the rocks that Gentry claimed were primordial (Wakefield 1998).

10. Too much helium in minerals.

We've already done this one to death. I didn't even bother posting the refutation of this one; it's been thoroughly refuted right here. Read this thread, Dave, if you want to see how thoroughly this "evidence" has been refuted.

11. Too much carbon 14 in deep geologic strata.

Same thing with this one. No need to beat a dead horse.

12. Not enough Stone Age skeletons.

Response:

The fact that some people buried bodies does not mean all did. In many cases, such as wars, plagues, natural disasters, and lone people getting lost, people get killed without even any consideration of funerals. Some land, such as swamps, hardpans, and ground frozen in winter, makes burial impractical at best. Even today, common funerary practices include incineration, exposure to the scavengers and elements, and burial at sea.

Burial alone does not preserve a body.
In many acid soils, all organic matter can easily decay in 1,000 years. Hot, damp conditions in the tropics will also decay bodies and leech bones quickly.
Groundwater, plant roots, digging animals, or a combination of these can also speed decay to the point where nothing would remain after a few thousand years.
Erosion or reuse of the land by humans may unbury the body, at least to the point that the bones are subject to greater decay.
Sea level rise, volcanism, modern construction, or other processes may make the land unreachable now.

All of these are significant factors. Fossilization is not a common process. And we have examined only a tiny fraction of the land where bodies might be buried. The few thousand remains we have found are well in line with a 185,000-year human history.

We would not expect the burial of artifacts to be common. There would be no reason to bury cheaper tools, such as pounding stones, with people. More valuable artifacts would not likely be buried with poor people.

13. Agriculture is too recent.

Response:

Why is it implausible that humans lived for a long time without agriculture? Agriculture allows higher population densities, but it leads to an overall decrease in the quality of life over that of hunter-gatherers (Diamond 1987). In particular, agriculture requires much more work for a lower quality, less dependable diet, and it increases disease. There was no pressing reason to adopt agriculture in the first place.

The end of the last ice age about 10,000 years ago may have facilitated the origin of agriculture at that time. The changed climate may have made agriculture possible in more areas, and/or it may have led to a human population increase which required agriculture to sustain.

It is possible that agriculture has been discovered several different times over the last 180,000 years. Climate change, even over relatively short periods of a few decades, has caused the collapse of agricultural societies in historical times, and the climate has changed dramatically over the last 180,000 years. Agriculture in the distant past may have been lost repeatedly.

The assumption that humans have not changed in intelligence over the past 185,000 years is unsupportable and many not be true. A team of geneticists has found evidence that human brains have evolved adaptively recently (and may still be evolving). Two genes associated with brain size have genetic variants whose high frequencies indicate that they spread under strong positive selection. A haplotype (genetic variant) of the Microcephalin gene arose about 37,000 years ago (95 percent confidence interval of 14,000 to 60,000 years) (Evans et al. 2005). An ASPM haplotype arose only about 5800 years ago (95 percent confidence interval of 500 to 14,000 years) (Mekel-Bobrov et al. 2005). It should be emphasized that the effects of these haplotypes is currently unknown; the evidence for strong selection indicates only that their effects are important, that humans have evolved recently in some way. It may be significant that they occurred around the same times as the introduction of modern humans to Europe and the origins of art (about 40,000 years ago) and the rise of agriculture and writing (about 10,000 to 6,000 years ago). It is also possible that these genes are not relevant to the origins of agriculture but others are. The larger point is that there is evidence that humans continue to evolve in subtle ways.

Regardless of whether we know why more technological progress was not made earlier, humans do have a long record, stretching back much, much farther than 6000 years, and we do have good indications of levels of technology during this history. "I do not know why this happened" does not lead logically to "this did not happen."

14. History is too short.

We've already laughed this one out of court, Dave. But since this was all so easy to find…

Response:

Agriculture brings with it many cultural changes, including cities, significant personal property, and trade. All the earliest known writings are recordkeeping for property in agricultural societies. There was no need for such records before the development of agriculture and its consequences. Thus, the origin of agriculture also determined the origin of writing.

Recent human evolution (also discussed with the origin of agriculture) may have applied to writing, too.

The thing that's so laughable about your "evidence," Dave, is that it's so old, so tired, so ridiculous, that I didn't even have to do any research to refute it. Every single one of these preposterous claims was rebutted, all on one page.

You think you're bringing up arguments we've never seen before. We've seen them all a million times before, and they're stale.

And, of course, given that you just c&p'd them from one source that has all the credibility of tooth fairy sightings, it's hardly worth the effort to bother refuting them. The only reason I did bother is because otherwise you'll claim you've "won" yet again. I mean, you'll still claim you've won, but even the lurkers will know how ridiculous your claims are.

--------------

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,17:43   

God, Dave, sometimes it's just incredible how blockheaded you are.

Quote (afdave @ June 18 2006,22:00)
I answer Occam's questions that are relevant.  But he's trying to get me off on tree rings and varves and God knows what.  I am somewhat flexible in my outline, but I cannot just go for every rabbit trail.

No, you don't answer Occam's "relevant" questions. The question he asked you is as relevant is it is possible to be. He asked you to explain how it could be that six different, entirely independent chains of evidence perfectly corroborate radiocarbon dating. It doesn't get any more relevant than that, Dave. He's not changing the subject to tree rings and varves, etc. They are the subject. The reason we know for a fact that radiocarbon dates are accurate is because they match other dates using completely different, independent lines of evidence. These aren't some "rabbit trail." They directly refute your claims about radiocarbon dating.
Since you cannot answer Occam's question, you lose on the radiocarbon dating. Just as you've lost every single other argument you've made on this site.

I am not aware of how I ignored Eric on C14 and diamonds.  I think I have answered everything that is on topic and relevant.  JonF had the most salient points so I concentrated on him.

Have you been smoking crack, Dave? You claimed I have no idea where the C14 comes from in coal and diamond. I told you exactly where it comes from: it comes from neutron capture from radioactive decay in the vicinity and from high-energy cosmic rays.

Now. Do you still claim that I have no idea where that C14 comes from, Dave? Even after I've told you exactly where it comes from?

I think you sadly underestimate the intelligence of the people who read this site, Dave. You're getting nothing past anyone. Except, perhaps, for Mr. Paley, but I think he knows what's up. I think he's just encouraging you, even knowing your arguments are bogus.

--------------

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,18:40   

Dave lied,
Deadman ... you forget what the issue was with the Portuguese discussion, so I will remind you ... I made a casual generalization: P=F+S, in a conversation about something else.  Rilke very rudely intruded into the conversation and said I was an idiot.  So I challenged her and she lost.  Then Arden and Faid got all wrapped around the axle wanting to split hairs about the precise origin of Portuguese.  There was no need for this because I was simply making a generalization similar to "the sky is blue."  So what we ended up with was something like this ...

AFD:  The sky is blue
Arden/Faid:  No it's not
AFD:  Yes it is
Arden/Faid:  No it's not, it's raining here and the sky is gray.
AFD:  OK. Fine, so it's not blue all the time.  I agree.
Arden/Faid:  It's nighttime and the sky is black
AFD:  OK. Fine, guys.  Whatever you say.  I still say the sky is blue.
Arden/Faid, etc.: AFD is a liar and a lunatic.  He says the sky is blue.
Norm:  Quit splitting hairs.
Ved: Let's just say "The sky is blue most of the time"
Improvius:  can we just come to a compromise?

You lost, Dave.  We demonstrated that both your intitial statement, your various inaccuracies and cover-ups for your embarrassing errors afterwards, and your attempt to change your story and cover up were lies.

Simply lies.  You lost on the Portuguese thing because you made an idiotic comment - vacuous, illiterate, and generally brain dead.

I just like reminding you of that particular loss on your part because you keep lying about it.

Gentlemen, I give you Dave "I'm a liar for Christ and too stupid to know it" Hawkins.

Loser.

Liar.

Lunatic.

But God is he funny.

Keep it up, Dave - stick up for your right to make a complete and total fool of yourself simply by writing a post.

:p  :p  :p  :p  :p  :p

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,18:45   

Quote (afdave @ June 17 2006,20:41)
Aftershave...
You'll have to understand if no one believes you anymore.  You've broken too many promises to 'get to it' to have any credibility.
Yeah, no one except those lurkers that you said you were worried about.  You'd better get with it refuting me with some sciency stuff so they don't get corrupted with my 'moronic beliefs.'

Well, based on the fact that every single lurker who has delurked has basically agreed that you're an idiot of the first water, I don't think you have much going for you, Dave.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,18:47   

Dave, you ignored this the first three times I posted it. I want your comments now.

You posted a cognate set with French, Portuguese and Spanish that you (delusionally) thought supported your argument.

I have doubled the data. Here it is, again:

Portuguese: haver homem corpo noite filho feito bom e
Spanish: haber hombre cuerpo noche hijo hecho bueno y
Catalan: haver home cos nit fill  fet bo i
French: avoir homme corps nuit fils fait bon et
Italian: avere uomo corpo notte figlio fatto buono e
Romanian: avea om corp noapte fiu facut bun si

Now, with your amount of basic data DOUBLED here, would you like to tell me why your original data proved your point, and why this new data does not completely destroy your theory?

If you don't like that idea, you can do my other idea I invited you to do, which is finding a large mass of data from Portuguese which can ONLY be interpreted as French influence and not common inheritance from Latin. You know, doing research, finding data about the language, that sort of thing. (Not just talking about French knights and declaring that you've already won.)

This is what an honest person would do. My expectations are dismally low, but that is the unanimous consensus here.

Put up or shut up. It's kind of sick to think you consider being dishonest and delusional to be a 'hoot'. I think we're hoping that you're not THAT pathetic. And I really hope you're not genuinely SO STUPID that you can't see why this data sinks your theory.

Oh, also, Dave?

A couple weeks ago you said the Indians of North and South America originally had writing but lost it. You offered no proof of this at all. I asked you for proof. You ignored it. Proof now. What is your evidence?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,18:49   

Dave commented,
What's troubling is that only about half the population buys into your long age Darwinian fantasies in spite of all these excellent, smart scientists who are peddling the theory.

It's amazing to me that you don't scratch your head and say ... 'Hmmm ... with all this opportunity that we Evos have to indocrinate everyone with our theory, why don't they buy it?  Could it be wrong?'
If you are a sample of that general population, then I'd say the reason we're not reaching them is that they are simply too stupid to understand.

I mean, there really is no other way to put it, Dave - you made a stupid statement about Portuguese, and were put in your place; you made a stupid statement about relativity and were put in your place; you made stupid statments about Helium, diamonds, history, pretty much every branch of science, and were put in your place.

And you lied about yourself and your 'military' record.

Be a christian: own up to your own sins.  #### is nasty place, Dave - I'd hate to see you there.  :p

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,18:58   

Dave said,
I know you were miffed about the Portuguese thing because you are a linguist and all, but that little incident illustrates beautifully how a trained professional like yourself can be completely wrong about something from his very own field of study.
Regrettably, since your arguments were bogus, you didn't manage to show Arden anything except your extraordinary ignorance of linguistics.
You keep claiming that all the linguists in the world disagree with me and you've never shown me one.
A flagrant and outright lie.
I don't even think the linguists of the world CARE about Portuguese enough to even study it in the detail that I gave you.
But since you took all of the little detail your provided from other's people's research, this is yet another lie.
The linguists of the world say 'Portuguese is a Romance language descended from Latin ... blah, blah, blah' and that's about it, which I have consistently agreed with.
Nope, you haven't.  You've blathered on irrelevant topics.  But you still lost, Dave.  I don't mind pointing it out to you, because I'm sure you wish to be honest with yourself.  You lost.  Get over it.
But they don't give the details that I gave you.
But since the details you provided were irrelevant details, they don't matter.
The only reason YOU are interested is because you don't like my views on origins and you want to refute me on something.
No, it's because you were completely wrong on a topic that Arden knows well.

If someone told you that the NT was obviously wrong because Jesus and Moses were gay lovers who adopted Judas for a little S&M bonding, you'd probably be annoyed when they couldn't prove it.

Well, Dave - they were.  And your argument is just as bogus.

Let's see: what would it take to show that Portuguese is a mixture of French and Spanish?

You'd have to show that Portuguese vocabulary was made of French and Spanish words.  

Have you done this?  Nope.

You'd had to show that Portuguese prounciation was made of French and Spanish pronunciations.

You'd have to show that Portuguese grammar was made of French and Spanish grammar.

Dave: 0
Posters: 30+

Look, Dave, I know you feel embarrassed for being wrong; I know you feel frustrated that you can't show that you were right; I know you hate being defeated so easily by non-Christians.....

Get over it.  It's going to happen to you for the rest of your life.   :D

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,19:06   

I love the way target drone QFDave thinks he can rewrite his history here and no one will notice.  We all know how QF made this claim about Portuguese:

I actually speak quite a bit of Spanish and Portuguese (which of course is Spanish and French mixed).

When this was shown to be laughably wrong, and in a desperate attempt to save face, QF changed his story to

I meant exactly what I said ... It is an accurate GENERALIZATION to say that 'Portuguese is a mixture of Spanish and French'

Got that?  It’s an ACCURATE GENERALIZATION, not a statement of absolute fact.

And now it’s changed again to

.. I made a casual generalization: P=F+S, in a conversation about something else.

Now it’s a CASUAL GENERALIZATION.  Next week it will be ‘street theater’, and the week after next Dave won’t have said it at all.

All that whining about GENERALIZATION, and yet this is the same bonehead who offered this passage from World Book as an iron clad, can’t be wrong, proof positive of a less than 6000 YO young Earth.

"But the story of world history begins only about 5,500 years ago with the invention of writing."

But the ‘tard can’t grasp the fact that the statement is a GENERALIZATION where ‘world history” roughly means ‘the period of time when humans began changing their lifestyle from nomadic hunter-gather tribes into agricultural based permanent city-states and began recording their transactions.”

QFDave:

Loser
Liar
Lunatic

But his brainless YEC regurgitations do make for great targets.

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"If it required a mind, planning and design, it isn't materialistic."
"Jews and Christians are Muslims."

- Joke "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest YEC.

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,19:07   

Dave claimed:
Says who?   Says scientist who WANT the earth to be very, very old.

Here is a gold chance for Dave to show some Christian integrity:

Supply proof.  Prove that this statement isn't simply your personal opinion.  Show that these scientists actually WANT the earth's age to be that.

Make George proud to be a Christian: be ethical for a change.

5th time of asking.

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,19:15   

Davey,
We've all been too hard on you. read this. You'll feel better.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,19:15   

AFDave ----

1.) If you know what the Gish Gallop is, then why ask me about it?

2.) You lost your claim on Portuguese for the very reason that I stated: the ONLY way that you can win that claim is to show that French plays any major influence in ***words*** used in the Portuguese language itself.

SHOW a WORDLIST of terms IN Portuguese derived from French

The "phonetics" of Portuguese can be called "similar" ...but you have not shown it is derived from French at all, nor will you.  

3.) Occam's questions pertained directly to your claims, Dave. You just avoid them, as you always do when cornered. Just as you did on your claim that Amerinds all lost their written languages, Dave. That's when you switched your claim, Dave. to " well, the Aztec and Maya" And when I pointed out that the Maya and Aztec never lost a written language but adopted another...you ran from your re-statement of your claim.

4.) Yes, you ignored ericmurphy for the same reason you ignored what I posted on zircons and how Humphreys himself lied to you----- along with your false claim that "Humphreys was not comparing materials" about how pressure affected diffusion between GLASSES like rhyolite obsidian and how it likely affects zircon, which he didn't test under pressure. You say :

HUMPHREYS COMPARES THE HARDNESS OF VARIOUS MINERALS ONLY TO SHOW THAT PRESSURE HAS LITTLE EFFECT ON DIFFUSIVITIES OF OTHER HARD MATERIALS...He makes no statements about the COMPARATIVE diffusivities of different materials, which is what you keep bringing up. This is completely irrelevant.

and yet Humphreys does in fact compare pressure and diffusivity rates of zircon, rhyolite and later, steel ball bearings, saying pressure would have no real effect...but as I showed, it does. Humphreys says straight out:

As far as I know, nobody has measured the effect of pressure on helium diffusion in zircon. ....However I have at hand a paper[6] that gives,
among other data, ****the pressure effect on argon diffusion in glasses****, such as rhyolite obsidian.
At the highest temperature to which our helium-in-zircon experiment went, 500 degrees C, the pressure effect on the glasses (rhyolite, Dave)  was almost imperceptible...Glasses should be more compressible than crystals of the same composition; glasses are generally not as hard because of weaker chemical bonds between parts. So our crystals of very hard zircon should suffer less from pressure than glasses that are softer than quartz.

He goes on to discuss why zircon, " harder than steel" would not be affected by pressure, Dave...in terms of diffusion, and he compares zircon to steel ball bearings...

But you insist on trying to pretend words mean what YOU want them to mean, like Humpty-Dumpty in Alice in Wonderland, you think that you can change the very definitions of words to suit your delusions.
"When I use a word," Humpty Dave Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

Nah, it doesn't work that way, Baboo.

Oh, and (5) No you don't really know the Bible, Dave. I pointed out where your claim about.. Civilizations centers existing , THEN the tower of Babel happening...runs exactly contrary to Genesis. If this discussion were just on the errors and lies and contradictions of the Bible, you'd be toast there, too.

--------------

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2006,19:58   

Something struck me while I was noting your lies on Amerind languages, Dave---I was thinking of all the Aztecan (Nahua)-derived terms in Spanish that show the direct relationship of one language to the other...and sure enough...

Nahuatl has been an exceedingly rich source of words for the Spanish language as the following examples show. Some of them are restricted to Mexico or Mesoamerica, but others are common to all the Spanish-speaking regions in the world and a number of them have made their way into many other languages via Spanish.
achiote, acocil, aguacate, ajolote, amate, atole, axolotl, ayate, cacahuate, camote, capulín, chamagoso, chapopote, chayote, chicle, chile, chipotle, chocolate, cuate, comal, copal, coyote, ejote, elote, epazote, escuincle, guacamole, guachinango, guajolote, huipil, huitlacoche, hule, jacal, jícama, jícara, jitomate, malacate, mecate, metate, metlapil, mezcal, mezquite, milpa, mitote, molcajete, mole, nopal, ocelote, ocote, olote, paliacate, papalote, pepenar, petaca, petate, peyote, pinole, piocha, popote, pozole, pulque, quetzal, tamal, tianguis, tiza, tomate, tule, zacate, zapote, zopilote.
(The persistent -te or -le endings on these words are Spanish reflexes of the Nahuatl 'absolutive' ending -tl, -tli, or -li, which appears on (most) nouns when they have no other affixes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nahuatl_language

See, DaveTard? that's how real linguists show relationships of one language to another in terms of loanword lists. The same can be done with Arabic and Spanish...

But Dave...YOU can't show the same thing with French and Portuguese... not even to the degree that Nahua influenced Spanish. You're not even vaguely honest, Dave

--------------

JonF

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2006,01:45   

Quote (afdave @ June 18 2006,22:00)

Occam's questions and postings (some of which I posted also) are directly relevant to the validity of C14 dating. You have ignored then because you have no answer.

You have not even acknowledged the existence of the issues that are on-topic and relevant; the correlations between C14 dating and other independent methods; the formation of C14 in-situ by neutron capture; and the transport of C14 by groundwater.

{ABE} Oh, and you lied when you claimed Eric had not provided an explanation for the C14 contamination.

JonF

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2006,02:29   

[quote=ericmurphy]You know, Dave, you really need to do better than just cutting and pasting an entire webpage from AiG. It's not like we haven't seen these same, wearisome "arguments" presented a million times before, and seen them shot down as flaming ruins a million time as well. Fortunately, since all the hard (well, not hard, but time-consuming) work of refuting them has already done, I don't have to do much work either.[/quote]
Nicely done.  Dave'll ignore it.  A few comments:
Quote (afdave @ ]6. The earth's magnetic field is decaying too fast.[/quote)

Response:

The earth's magnetic field is known to have varied in intensity (Gee et al. 2000) and reversed in polarity numerous times in the earth's history...

This does not acknowledge that Humphreys has a somewhat different model than Barnes. Creationists have made much of the claim that Humphreys' model "predicted" the magnetic fields of Uranus and Neptune before they were measured. Humphrey's model is discussed at On Creation Science and the Alleged Decay of the Earth's Magnetic Field, about 3/4 of the way down, under the heading "Current Creationist Status".  Humphreys' prediction is not very impressive.
[quote=afdave]7. Many strata are too tightly bent.

Response: I don't even need to do any research to rebut this argument, Dave. I heard the rebuttal on a tourist train ride in Campe Verde, AZ. The strata in question were deeply buried, where the temperature is much higher, and subsequently the strata in question were much more ductile than they are at the surface. Deeply buried rock at high temperatures bents much further without fracturing than cooler rock at the surface. Color me unimpressed.

I might add that hydorostatic compression (technically, equal diagonal terms in the stress matrix) are also key to the folding.
[quote=afdave]8. Biological material decays too fast.
Natural radioactivity, mutations, and decay degrade DNA and other biological material rapidly. Measurements of the mutation rate of mitochondrial DNA recently forced researchers to revise the age of "mitochondrial Eve" from a theorized 200,000 years down to possibly as low as 6,000 years.17 DNA experts insist that DNA cannot exist in natural environments longer than 10,000 years, yet intact strands of DNA appear to have been recovered from fossils allegedly much older: Neandertal bones, insects in amber, and even from dinosaur fossils.18 Bacteria allegedly 250 million years old apparently have been revived with no DNA damage.19 Soft tissue and blood cells from a dinosaur have astonished experts.20

Of course, DNA experts have not insisted "that DNA cannot exist in natural environments longer than 10,000 years".  In re mitochondrial Eve:

1. The claim is founded primarily on the work of Parsons et al. (1997), who found that the substitution rate was about 25 times higher in the mitochondria control region, which is less than 7% of the mitochondrial genome (mtDNA). Revised studies of all of the mtDNA find that the control region varies greatly in substitution rates in different populations, but that the rest of the mtDNA shows no such variation (Ingman et al. 2000). Using mtDNA excluding the control region, they placed the age of the most recent common mitochondrial ancestor at 171,500 +/- 50,000 years ago.

Gibbons (1998) refers to mutations that cause heteroplasmy (inheritance of two or more mtDNA sequences). This does not apply to mitochondrial Eve research, which is based only on substitution mutation rates.

2. A study similar to the mtEve research was done on a region of the X chromosome which does not recombine with the smaller Y chromosome; it placed the most recent common ancestor 535,000 +/- 119,000 years ago (Kaessmann et al. 1999). Since the population size of X chromosomes is effectively three times larger than mitochondria (two X chromosomes from women and one from men can get inherited), the most recent common ancestor should be about three times older than that of the Mitochondrial Eve, and it is.

Links:
MacAndrew, Alec. n.d. Misconceptions around Mitochondrial Eve. http://www.evolutionpages.com/Mitocho....e> id='postcolor'>

JonF

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2006,02:29   

OK, this stupid system will not preview or post my next reply, as a standalone message or an edit to an existing message, so I'lkl just jave to post it unformatted

ericmurphy: "You know, Dave, you really need to do better than just cutting and pasting an entire webpage from AiG. It's not like we haven't seen these same, wearisome "arguments" presented a million times before, and seen them shot down as flaming ruins a million time as well. Fortunately, since all the hard (well, not hard, but time-consuming) work of refuting them has already done, I don't have to do much work either."

Nicely done.  Dave'll ignore it.  A few comments:

"6. The earth's magnetic field is decaying too fast."

"The earth's magnetic field is known to have varied in intensity (Gee et al. 2000) and reversed in polarity numerous times in the earth's history.  ..."

This does not acknowledge that Humphreys has a somewhat different model than Barnes. Creationists have made much of the claim that Humphreys' model "predicted" the magnetic fields of Uranus and Neptune before they were measured. Humphrey's model is discussed at http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/magfields.html , about 3/4 of the way down, under the heading "Current Creationist Status":

"It is for this reason that I am not impressed by Humphreys' confidence in his theory's ability to predict the magnetic dipole moments for Uranus and Neptune, before the Voyager spacecraft observed them. Humphreys' predictions for Uranus {20, page 146} and Neptune {20, page 147} both state that the dipole strength should be "on the order of 10^24 J/T". He connects these predictions to his theory by selecting a value for k = 0.25 in both cases, computing a dipole strength at creation, and then estimating a characteristic decay time assuming a core conductivity similar to the terrestrial planets. This brings on the estimate of 10^24 J/T, but remember that the dipole at creation is an entirely free parameter. A peek at Humphreys' table II {20, page 147} shows that the dipole for Jupiter is 1.6 × 10^27, for Saturn 4.3 × 10^25, and for Earth 7.9 × 10^22. From these values alone, with reference to no theory at all, one can immediately see that the dipole values for Uranus and Neptune must be larger that Earth's 10^22 and smaller than Saturn's 10^25, so that anything in the 10^23 to 10^24 range is an obvious guess anyway. All Humphreys has to do is come up with a dipole at creation that is about the same as Saturn's is now, and the result is going to be very nearly right. We now know the dipole values for Uranus {3.7 × 10^24 J/T} and Neptune {2.1 × 10^24 J/T}, which do indeed agree with Humphreys' order of magnitude predictions. But to hail this as a confirmation of his theory is not very rewarding. Indeed, it is my position that Humphreys' theory cannot be confirmed, since it predicts at once every possible observed field, and is therefore useless for predicting anything.

Eventually the Humphreys theory has become distinct from the Barnes theory. Humphreys decided that the evidence in support of the hypothesis that the Earth's magnetic field has reversed its polarity a number of times is too convincing, and that such reversals must have occurred. In doing so, Humphreys also rejects Barnes' idea that the Earth's field has been decaying exponentially ever since creation, and has instead postulated a more complex history for the magnetic field, built around the presumption that the field reversals happened very rapidly, taking perhaps no more than a few days to a few weeks {23, 24}. Humphreys had already postulated this idea, when he found support from a paper by Coe & Prevot in 1989 {25}, which showed evidence of a rapid change in the angle of the dipole moment of the Earth's magnetic field during the cooling time of a lava flow. Coe & Prevot have expanded on the observations and theory since then {26, 27a} (and so has Humphreys {28}), and the effect certainly appears to be real, or at least credible. Humphreys has interpreted these results as an implication that all field reversals are very rapid, and this allows him to concentrate all of them into the single year of the Genesis Flood. However, one must remember that the results reported by Coe & Prevot include only a few out of hundreds or thousands of examples of field reversal measurements. The vast majority of the known examples would have required the entire reversal to take place while the lava flows were still hotter than the Curie temperature, or worse yet, argue against rapid reversal by recording what appear to be the intermediate stages of a single reversal event. Finally, others have shown that the evident rapid reversals described by Coe & Prevot may be explained by processes not related directly to those in the Earth's core {27b}, but rather by magnetic storm effects that may become significant at the surface of the Earth during a reversal, when the dipole field is relatively weak."

"7. Many strata are too tightly bent."

"Response: I don't even need to do any research to rebut this argument, Dave. I heard the rebuttal on a tourist train ride in Campe Verde, AZ. The strata in question were deeply buried, where the temperature is much higher, and subsequently the strata in question were much more ductile than they are at the surface. Deeply buried rock at high temperatures bents much further without fracturing than cooler rock at the surface. Color me unimpressed."

I might add that hydorostatic compression (technically, equal diagonal terms in the stress matrix) are also key to the folding.

"8. Biological material decays too fast.
Natural radioactivity, mutations, and decay degrade DNA and other biological material rapidly. Measurements of the mutation rate of mitochondrial DNA recently forced researchers to revise the age of "mitochondrial Eve" from a theorized 200,000 years down to possibly as low as 6,000 years.17 DNA experts insist that DNA cannot exist in natural environments longer than 10,000 years, yet intact strands of DNA appear to have been recovered from fossils allegedly much older: Neandertal bones, insects in amber, and even from dinosaur fossils.18 Bacteria allegedly 250 million years old apparently have been revived with no DNA damage.19 Soft tissue and blood cells from a dinosaur have astonished experts."

Of course, DNA experts have not insisted "that DNA cannot exist in natural environments longer than 10,000 years".  In re mitochondrial Eve:

"1. The claim is founded primarily on the work of Parsons et al. (1997), who found that the substitution rate was about 25 times higher in the mitochondria control region, which is less than 7% of the mitochondrial genome (mtDNA). Revised studies of all of the mtDNA find that the control region varies greatly in substitution rates in different populations, but that the rest of the mtDNA shows no such variation (Ingman et al. 2000). Using mtDNA excluding the control region, they placed the age of the most recent common mitochondrial ancestor at 171,500 +/- 50,000 years ago.

Gibbons (1998) refers to mutations that cause heteroplasmy (inheritance of two or more mtDNA sequences). This does not apply to mitochondrial Eve research, which is based only on substitution mutation rates.

2. A study similar to the mtEve research was done on a region of the X chromosome which does not recombine with the smaller Y chromosome; it placed the most recent common ancestor 535,000 +/- 119,000 years ago (Kaessmann et al. 1999). Since the population size of X chromosomes is effectively three times larger than mitochondria (two X chromosomes from women and one from men can get inherited), the most recent common ancestor should be about three times older than that of the Mitochondrial Eve, and it is. "

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2006,03:28   

PRE-FLOOD C14 LEVELS:  BAD ASSUMPTIONS OF THE LONG AGERS

We have shown that there are easily detectable levels of C14 in coal and diamonds and that this was a major surprise to scientists when they discovered it thanks to the new AMS technology invented in the 1980s.  The RATE Team cites several examples of studies in the past 20 years which ATTEMPT to investigate the source of this C14, but they cannot come up with anything plausible.  (See below for one such citation).  In situ neutron capture does not account for it either as the RATE Group clearly shows in their calculations (see discussion below -- I can supply more detail if desired).  Liquid transport of C14 does not work either unless you apply this to ALL samples dated by C14.  Also, why didn't the study cited below mention liquid transport as a possibility?  They have NO explanation.

So where we are is that there is far more C14 in coal and diamonds than the Long Agers expected.  Just like there is far more helium in zircons than they expected.  Hmmm... what to do?  Well, we can always take the approach of just saying that Creos are liars and fraudsters, which is the approach taken by some here.  Or we could be honest and say ... "Hmmmm ... maybe we should have a look at those assumptions we used for dating the earth at 4.5 Ga."

I hope at least on your deathbeds when you are 5 minutes from meeting your Creator, maybe you will consider some of this information you have been given.  Maybe then it will all gel in your minds and the lightbulb will come on and you will say "I get it!  The Bible really is true!  The earth really is only about 6000 years old.  There really was a Flood!  There really is a Creator, and I am about to meet Him!" And like the thief on the cross, you too can make your amends with Him before it's too late!

Well, I certainly can't force the lightbulb to come on for you.  It either will come on or it won't.  It's up to you.  But what I can do is continue giving you good information.  

Since we (or at least I) have settled this idea that samples supposedly hundreds of millions of years old are dated at 50,000 years by C14, the obvious question is, "Well Dave, I thought you said 6000 years or 4500 years, not 50,000.  What's up with that?"  

Good question.  It comes down to assumptions again, namely about pre-Flood levels of carbon.  Again, I will let the RATE Group explain it to you ...

[quote]With a date for the Biblical Flood derived from the Masoretic Hebrew text of only about 4500 years ago, which is less that the C14 half-life, one would expect that C14 in plants and animals buried in this cataclysm to be detectable today.  What sorts of C14/C values might we expect to find today in organic remains of plants and animals that perished during this global event which rapidly formed the Cambrian to middle-upper Cenozoic part of the Phanerozoic geological record?  Such a cataclysm would have buried a huge amount of C from living organisms to form today's coal, oil, and oil shale, probably most of the natural gas, and some fraction of today's fossiliferous limestone.  Estimates for the amount of C in this inventory are typically several hundred times greater than what resides in the biosphere today [Brown, 1979; Morton, 1984; Scharpenseel and Becker-Heidmann, 1992; Giem, 2001].  These studies indicated the bioshpere just prior to the cataclysm would have had, conservatively, 300-700 times the total C relative to our present world.  Living plants and animals would have contained most of this biospheric C, with only a tiny fraction of the total resident in the atmosphere.  The vast majority of this C would have been C12 and C13, since even in today's world, only about one C atom in a trillion is C14. ... [if we assume similar C14 levels and we assume that] the total amount of biospheric C were, for example, 500 times that of today's world, the resulting C14/C ratio would be 1/500 of today's level, or about 0.2 pMC.[/quote]  

They admit that this estimate is not certain, but it's a good guess, and certainly a great deal better than the Long Ager estimates simply because Long Agers don't even account for the Flood at all.  

Accounting for the C14 decay over the span of 4500 years since the Flood reduces the pre-Flood level by a factor of 0.6, so that organisms with 0.2 pMC of C14 4500 years ago would display a level of 0.12 pMC today, which of course is close to what we find.  So the computed "ages" of C14 are probably off by a factor of 10 or so, speaking in rough numbers.

OK.  Shoot me down if you can.  But don't try to say something like "There was no Flood."  Wait until I give you my evidence for it before you do that. (I shouldn't have to give you evidence for the Global Flood -- the evidence is so enormous, but I will anyway.)

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Eric...[quote]You think you're bringing up arguments we've never seen before. We've seen them all a million times before, and they're stale. [/quote]

Actually, I knew that you have seen these before.  But you guys cut and paste your stuff periodically so I took the liberty to do so as well. I have done you the courtesy of copying off your rebuttals into a separate file for later discussion.  I assume you C&Ped from T.O. since the supposed rebuttal is all on one link?

Eric...[quote]Dave, you've said half a dozen times so far that "three billion years isn't enough time for this, and it isn't enough time for that, and it isn't enough time for this other thing, either." You have, so far, presented not so much as a tattered fragment of evidence to support this contention, because you have no such evidence. [/quote]

Eric, my friend ... listen ... you cannot even point to ONE example of a mutation which increases information.  The truth is that mutations decrease information content.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist ... one does not need a formal proof to know that no matter how much time you have, you will not make a jellyfish from a bacteria in 3 billion years or 3B X 3B years if NONE of the necessary mutation add information content.  Now do you get it?

DrewHeadley ... Also Eric...[quote]AFD...New information simply does not arise by chance

Please, read Claude Shannons work on information theory. You will see that chance (I take it you mean randomness?) generates the highest information content.  Here is a copy of his work: http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/ms/what/shannonday/shannon1948.pdf [/quote]

No. I mean information.  How in the world did you arrive at your conclusion with that paper?  It's 55 pages on the Mathematical Theory of Communication.

Eric...[quote]Dave, I know enough about S/N to know how wrong you are. Do you know what percentage of carbon is C14, Dave? About 1.3E10-12%, that's how much. The "signal," after a few hundred thousand half-lives, is swamped in the noise. Doesn't it strike you as a bit strange that no matter how far back you go, the C14 levels never get below a certain point? You can go back to the beginning of time, and you'll still have an irreducible minimum of C14. [/quote]

Yes.  It does strike me as very strange.  That is precisely why I bring it up.  In fact, it is so strange that the AMS labs have been scratching their heads to try to explain it for over 20 years.  Eric, you and Aftershave need to get up to speed with JonF.  I really did not want to backtrack to cover this basic stuff, but you guys seem to think I'm just dodging, so I will try to help you understand.  JonF understands this and he is to the point where the AMS labs are illustrated by this conclusion from Nadeau et al. [2001] entitled, "Carbonate 14C background:  does it have multiple personalities?"  They analyze many 'old' samples including shells and foraminifera.  Here's what they conclude...

[quote]The results ... show a species-specific contamination that reproduces over several individual shells and foraminifera from several sediment cores.  Different cleaning attempts have proven ineffective, and even stronger measures such as progressive hydrolization or leaching of the samples prior to routine preparation, did not give any indication of the source of contamination. ... So far, no theory explaining the results has survived all the tests.  No connection between surface structure and apparent ages could be established.[/quote]

OK?  Now... let's put all this silliness about SNR's behind us once and for all.  The deal is that AMS labs cannot figure out where this contamination comes from.  Of course, they will not consider the possibility that the C14 is there because the samples are YOUNG.  No one would consider that because they are committed to Long Ages.  Well, one of these days, if creationists keep hammering them with the facts, maybe they will.  And maybe you will too.  Also, Eric, you cannot say that Carbon Dating works for ages up to 60,000 years (this is the figure I read BTW), then turn around and say 'Well, except in the case of coal.'

Eric...  
And we've told you again and again that that's exactly what one would expect, and you'll get that same value for any carbon source more than 60,000 years old.
No, no, no.  This is NOT what anyone expected when the AMS technique was invented.  You guys call me the liar, but the truth is that either you are very ignorant of the history of C14 measurement or YOU are a liar.  I just showed you one paper from 2001.  There are many more, but I get tired of typing and trying to permeate cement with information.  And again, I must keep focused on my primary goal -- to educate MYSELF on these topics and at the same time give Evos a fair shake at trying to dislodge the points of YEC Theory.

Eric...  
C14 is created all the time by neutron capture due to radioactive decay (among other mechanisms), the same mechanism that creates it in the upper atmosphere, albeit at a lower rate, which is why we see low levels of C14 in buried strata that haven't been exposed to the atmosphere for millions of years. This is why, no matter how far back in time you go, you will find an irreducible minimum of C14.
Yes.  If you were really interested in TRUTH, you would spend a few bucks and buy the RATE books.  Then you would know that this question is thoroughly treated there.  Do you have any idea how much C14 is generated in situ by subsurface neutrons?  It's about 9 X 10^(-6) pMC.  Do you know how small that is?  It's 13,000 times smaller than the mean value of 0.12 pMC measured by the RATE Group in their diamond samples.  Not a factor Eric.  Probably this is why JonF did not bring this up.  He knows that the only hope for long agers is Contamination from somewhere.  But he doesn't know where from and neither do the AMS people.

You're the only one who doesn't have an explanation for C14.
Quite the opposite.  You don't have an explanation.  I do.

And, I should point out, you've never explained why radiometric dating methods that are actually suited for dating 150-million-year-old deposits, don't also provide dates of 50,000 years. As usual, you completely ignore questions you can't answer.
Why would I explain that?  What does that have to do with anything?

Eric...  
The earth has been around that long, Dave, and there's overwhelming evidence of it. Not only that, but all the applicable evidence points to the same age. Your "evidence" points to all sorts of ages: 5,500 years (what? you think humans sat on their asses for 500 years before they wrote anything down, when according to you scribes were following Adam around to write down his names for things?), 6,000 years, 10,000 years, 20,000 years, 50,000 years.
 No. My evidence tells me about 6000 years.  We are using YOUR assumptions for C14 when we get 20,000 and 50,000 for various samples.  We use your assumptions so that you don't get confused with too many issues at once.  The 20,000 and 50,000 year sample ages simply show that your multi-million year scenarios have serious problems.  Once an open-minded person (other than you) understands this basic idea, then he is enlightened enough to move on to finer detail, namely that the conventional C14 assumptions are wrong and that the supposed 50,000 year date should really be about 4500 years, etc.  Are you getting it yet?

OA...  
No Dave, I asked you for your explanation of the six independent lines of evidence that confirm the accuracy of radiocarbon dating.  
Again, if you can show me what they have to do with C14 dating specifically, I'll be happy to address them.  Otherwise, you'll have to wait until I get to them in my sequence.

Arden...  
Here's the chart AFD gave:

Spanish haber hombre cuerpo noche hijo hecho bueno y
Portug haver homem corpo noite filho feito bom e
French avoir homme corps nuit fils fait bon et

Here are three additional languages Dave neglected:

Romanian: avea om corp noapte fiu facut bun si
Italian: avere uomo corpo notte figlio fatto buono e
Catalan: haver home cos nit fill  fet bo i
Linguistic evidence, Dave, linguistic evidence.  OK.  Fine linguistic evidence.  I've given it several times.  Here it is again.  Arden, your chart shows that your 3 languages belong to the same family ... wonderful.  We knew that already.  Not very novel info.  But again, my chart gives more detail in that it shows a definite influence on Spanish by French to produce Portuguese ALL WITHIN the same language family.

We will be talking more about language families in general when we get to th Tower of Babel.

JonF...  
Er, no, Davie-ol'-dork, that's not a lot of discordance; it's an infinitesimal number of discordant dates obtained by people with a known history of fraud in this area.  Even if the results are correct (establishing which would take a lot more data than you have posted here, see below), it doesn't support "radiometric dating discordance is the rule, not the exception".

Of course; there aren't any creationist labs.  There also aren't any honest creationist geologists.  We need third-party analyses of the sample selection and collection methods, location specifications, minerology and microscopic analyses, and the raw dating lab data.  Just a table like that, from a pack of known and proven liars, is meaningless.

I note that they did whole-rock analyses of samples from Mt. Ngauruhoe, which is automatically invalid unless they did a heroic job of separating the xenoliths
(Extra credit:  Is there a pattern to the discordance? Yes. What might this indicate?) Fraud.
There is truly no hope for you. ...

AFD:  Isochron discordance is the rule, not the exception
JonF:  No it's not
AFD:  I have heard that geologists obtain many discordant results, but simply don't publish them -- they trash them with the explanation that they are an 'anomaly.'
JonF:  Nonsense.  Go prove it to me.
AFD:  Well, I'll work on it, but it will take time.  In the mean time, here's some results from the RATE Group that show the discordance.
JonF:  Yeah, well everyone knows they are Fraudsters.
AFD:  Why do you say so?  They are highly qualified scientists in their fields.  One on the team is from Los Alamos and another from Sandia.
JonF:  It's proven that they are fraudsters.
AFD:  By what?
JonF:  They say the earth is 6000 years old, for cryin' out loud.  That's fraud!  Just like you.  You're a fraud.  It's obvious!
AFD:  Oh, I see.  Thanks for showing me your cards.  We'll move on now.

Aftershave...  
Oh, and you also avoided explaining how you think coal, oil, and chalk beds form, and how an 11,000 YO village in Turkey can exist before your 6000 YO Earth was formed.
Too easy.  Give me some harder questions. Your 1st answer:  The Flood.  Your second answer:  Invalid C14 assumptions.  No accounting for pre-Flood carbon levels.

Aftershave...  
If I don't hear any objections,  I think I will post all my C14/C12 calibration data on your blog.
You cannot post anything on my blog.  I shut down comments because some of them were so childish and asinine.  In case you have not noticed, I don't really spend much time at MY blog.  I'm having too much fun here finding out just how weak the ToE and Long Ages Theory is!

Ved...  
Do you guys remember the time when dave started counting points that he conceded? He got to one, then stopped.
That's because you only convinced me of one.

Eric...  
Ten results, Dave. Ten. Do you know how many rocks have had their ages determined radiometrically in the last half century? Hundreds of thousands, Dave.
Yes. Hundreds of thousands.  WHich means that they probably discarded about 500,000 of them which didn't agree with 'Standard Geologic Time.'

Ghost of Paley...  
Thanks, Paley.  You might want to clarify with these guys.  They think you are being sarcastic.

Eric...  
The question he asked you is as relevant is it is possible to be. He asked you to explain how it could be that six different, entirely independent chains of evidence perfectly corroborate radiocarbon dating. It doesn't get any more relevant than that, Dave. He's not changing the subject to tree rings and varves, etc. They are the subject. The reason we know for a fact that radiocarbon dates are accurate is because they match other dates using completely different, independent lines of evidence. These aren't some "rabbit trail." They directly refute your claims about radiocarbon dating.
Independent lines of evidence that 'confirm' your interpretation of ages associated with C14 levels are not on topic at the moment.  We are talking specifically about the surprising fact that C14 is found in coal and diamonds.  I realize that you want to talk about other independent lines of evidence.  I do too.  But not now.

I have thoroughly refuted your nonsense about SNR's by showing you one example of many of conventional AMS labs having no answer as to why there are detectable levels of C14 in samples which should not have any.

And I have thoroughly refuted your nonsense about in situ contamination by radioactive decay.  See above.

Now we are discussing pre-Flood levels of C14.

Arden...  
A couple weeks ago you said the Indians of North and South America originally had writing but lost it. You offered no proof of this at all. I asked you for proof. You ignored it. Proof now. What is your evidence?
Answered this long ago.  Archaeology has confirmed that civilization began in Mesopotamia about 6000 years ago.  I know you think that humans lived before that, but your proof is faulty (cave paintings erroneously dated older than 6000 ya).  So the only real evidence we have (written records) says that humans have only been on the planet for about 6000 years.  And archaeology has shown that they were able to write at least as far back as 5500ya, but doubtless all the way back to Adam, around 6000 ya.  I have not shown you the evidence for this yet, but I will.  The N. Am and S. Am Indians (and all peoples of the earth) descended from ONE COUPLE and ONE CIVILIZATION, which appeared upon the earth about 6000 ya.  They had writing among other things.  So all I have to do to show that the N. Am and S. Am indians lost their ability to write is show the plausibility of the Biblical version of human history.  You may ask how the Indians got here?  The most plausible explanation is that they walked here from Asia via a land bridge -- the Bering Strait -- which was a land bridge sometime close to the time of the Flood because of the lower sea level and massive polar ice caps.  The people of Asia in turn migrated east from Mesopotamia.  We will cover this in more detail later.

Rilke...  
And you lied about yourself and your 'military' record.
Rilke, your looniness defies logic, especially considering that you just got a PhD.  First child molestation. You got spanked for that.  Then child abuse.  Spanked again.  Now I lied about my military record?  Wow!  Words fail me ...

Deadman...  
and yet Humphreys does in fact compare pressure and diffusivity rates of zircon, rhyolite and later, steel ball bearings, saying pressure would have no real effect...
Look what you said ... "and yet Humphreys does in fact compare pressure and diffusivity rates of zircon, rhyolite and later, steel ball bearings," ... He absolutely DOES NOT compares pressure and diffusivity rates.  He compares the EFFECT OF PRESSURE ON DIFFUSIVITY with other materials.  Let me repeat it for you several times so you get it.

He compares the EFFECT OF PRESSURE ON DIFFUSIVITY with other materials.

There.  Got it now?

Deadman...  
Oh, and (5) No you don't really know the Bible, Dave. I pointed out where your claim about.. Civilizations centers existing , THEN the tower of Babel happening...runs exactly contrary to Genesis. If this discussion were just on the errors and lies and contradictions of the Bible, you'd be toast there, too.
What in the world are you talking about?  Civilization existed all the way back to Cain according to the Bible.  Have you not read Genesis 4?  It talks about agriculture, music and metallurgy.  That's the marks of civilization, my friend.

Deadman...  
But Dave...YOU can't show the same thing with French and Portuguese... not even to the degree that Nahua influenced Spanish. You're not even vaguely honest, Dave
I've showed you over and over again, but you are too deaf with the noise of your own arguments to listen.

JonF...  
You have not even acknowledged the existence of the issues that are on-topic and relevant; the correlations between C14 dating and other independent methods; the formation of C14 in-situ by neutron capture; and the transport of C14 by groundwater.
Show me how the RATE Group is incorrect in showing that neutron capture is infinitesimally small.  Show me some papers that study C14 transport by groundwater.  I showed you one of researchers that have absolutely no idea where the C14 came from.  Also show me why groundwater would not be a problem for other specimens dated by C14.  If you throw out my coal and diamonds, you have to throw out many of your things.

--------------

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2006,04:26   

OA: No Dave, I asked you for your explanation of the six independent lines of evidence that confirm the accuracy of radiocarbon dating.

AFDave...namely that the conventional C14 assumptions are wrong and that the supposed 50,000 year date should really be about 4500 years, etc.  Are you getting it yet?

Again, if you can show me what they have to do with C14 dating specifically, I'll be happy to address them.  Otherwise, you'll have to wait until I get to them in my sequence.

AFDave’s dishonest attempts at avoiding discussion continue unabated.  You think that six independent lines of evidence that confirms the C14 assumptions were correct, evidence that confirms the accuracy of C14 dating, evidence that directly refutes your 6000 YO earth claims, has nothing to do with C14 dating??

OA: Oh, and you also avoided explaining how you think coal, oil, and chalk beds form, and how an 11,000 YO village in Turkey can exist before your 6000 YO Earth was formed.

AFDave: Too easy.  Give me some harder questions. Your 1st answer:  The Flood.  Your second answer:  Invalid C14 assumptions.  No accounting for pre-Flood carbon levels.

No Dave, ‘The FLUD’ is NOT an answer.  I asked you for your specific details as to how the fields were formed, including how long it took.  Show us some of that ‘sciency’ stuff Dave.

Also, the 11,000 YO Turkish settlement was dated by dendrochronolgy Dave, and merely cross-verified with C14 testing.  Once again, you need to come up with a reason as to why the two independent dating methods gave the same age, which is way older than 6000 years.

OA: If I don't hear any objections,  I think I will post all my C14/C12 calibration data on your blog.

AFDave:  You cannot post anything on my blog.  I shut down comments because some of them were so childish and asinine.

Translation:  Too many people were embarrassing me on my home turf by posting actual scientific data, so I deleted those entries and cut off all discussion.

AFDave :I hope at least on your deathbeds when you are 5 minutes from meeting your Creator, maybe you will consider some of this information you have been given.  Maybe then it will all gel in your minds and the lightbulb will come on and you will say "I get it!  The Bible really is true!  The earth really is only about 6000 years old.  There really was a Flood!  There really is a Creator, and I am about to meet Him!" And like the thief on the cross, you too can make your amends with Him before it's too late!

So says Mr “I’m not about religion, I only want the scientific TRUTH!!” :p

Every day you sink deeper into your cesspool of lies and evasions Dave.  You think Jesus would approve of your actions?  How about your fellow Christians?  Can you feel those he11fires burning yet Dave?  Because if you don’t stop lying and avoiding, you’ll get there sooner than you think.

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"If it required a mind, planning and design, it isn't materialistic."
"Jews and Christians are Muslims."

- Joke "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest YEC.

6047 replies since May 01 2006,03:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (202) < ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]