RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (202) < ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... >   
  Topic: AF Dave's UPDATED Creator God Hypothesis, Creation/Evolution Debate< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
improvius

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,05:56   

Quote (incorygible @ June 14 2006,10:51)
Not only does that dog not hunt in any rational discourse, Dave, it's really a little frightening to think this is the type of "truth" you would have your kids trust in (not to mention ironic when you consider your ilk likes to blame racism and other evils on evolutionary theory).

Just like Stephen Colbert, Dave doesn't tell the truth to us.  He feels the truth at us.

--------------
Quote (afdave @ Oct. 02 2006,18:37)
Many Jews were in comfortable oblivion about Hitler ... until it was too late.
Many scientists will persist in comfortable oblivion about their Creator ... until it is too late.

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,05:59   

Incorygible...
If you can't defend your ideas on these grounds, or if you want to hold discourse beyond observable nature, go find a church group or a bong hit.
That's ridiculous.  There are many fields of science which depend upon indirect evidence of phenomena which we cannot measure or count.  Meyer and others have pointed out many of these fields.

When I talk about non-biological differences, I am not even getting to spirits, souls, revealed destinies, etc.  I am talking about advanced linguistic skills, abstract thinking ability, scientific inquiry ability, the capacity for religious thinking, the ability to create civilization, etc. etc.

Beyond that, go do your own homework, Dave.
I've read your books and I don't buy the millions of years.  My question is "On what basis do YOU buy them?"

--------------
A DILEMMA FOR THE COMMITTED NATURALIST
A Hi-tech alien spaceship lands on earth ... DESIGNED.
A Hi-tech alien rotary motor found in a cell ... NOT DESIGNED.
http://afdave.wordpress.com/....ess.com

improvius

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,06:13   

Quote (afdave @ June 14 2006,10:59)
That's ridiculous.  There are many fields of science which depend upon indirect evidence of phenomena which we cannot measure or count.  Meyer and others have pointed out many of these fields.

When I talk about non-biological differences, I am not even getting to spirits, souls, revealed destinies, etc.  I am talking about advanced linguistic skills, abstract thinking ability, scientific inquiry ability, the capacity for religious thinking, the ability to create civilization, etc. etc.

Super.  And how, exactly, do those things pertain to the subject of determining common ancestry?

--------------
Many scientists will persist in comfortable oblivion about their Creator ... until it is too late.

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,06:17   

Quote (argystokes @ June 14 2006,10:49)
I don't think those questions are particularly vague, Dave.  Let's see your calculations.

argystokes, there HAS to be a better way to celebrate your birthday!  (Have good one.  ;)  )

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,06:28   

and you have to invoke it to explain abiogenesis
Scientists actually say 'we don't know' about abiogenesis, no poof required.

In short, it's because of non-biological differences.
If they are not caused by biology they have nothing to do with evolution. If you are going to argue that aspects of human intelligence are not a result of our more complex brains, but of some supernatural intervention, I dont see why this is an argument against common descent.

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,06:48   

Quote (afdave @ June 14 2006,10:02)
AFDave:STILL NO SUCCESSFUL REFUTATION OF HUMPHREYS

Just out of curiousity, what would you consider a successful refutation?

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

normdoering

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,06:51   

There are many fields of science which depend upon indirect evidence of phenomena which we cannot measure or count.  Meyer and others have pointed out many of these fields.

No, Dave, there is no science where phenomena which we cannot measure or count are considered. We can actually  measure linguistic skill (ever take a foriegn language and get graded on it), abstract thinking ability (ever take an  IQ test), scientific inquiry ability, the capacity for religious thinking, the ability to create civilization, etc. etc.

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,06:53   

Let me put it to you this way ... where would a new freshman guy on campus go looking to get a date?  The sorority house?  Or the zoo?  You biologists get your micrometers out and get all worked up ... "My goodness!! Chimps and humans share 98.5% genetic similarity and gorillas and chimps only share 98.0%!! Heavens to Betsy!! We're related!! And boy are we close!!"

Well ... I say if we are so close, why don't the freshmen go to the zoo to get dates instead of the sorority house?

The fact is guys, we're NOT close.  Our DNA is very similar, yes.  But when comparing everything else, gorillas are MUCH closer to chimps than humans are to chimps. This is so obvious that it's pathetic that I have to explain it to you.

You are the silly ones.  Not me.

dave, please read again what you have said.
Basically, you consider all knowledge in biology and genetics irrelevant, vague and meaningless, if we are to discuss differences between humans and other primates, because -well, because you say so. You have nothing substantial to say besides "there are huge differences, come on, its obvious" and "well if we're so close, why don't we get married" and ridiculous stuff like that. And THAT'S pathetic, dave. Almost Thordaddy-pathetic.
You're not talking to children here.

dave, what are the differences between my kitty purring on my couch, and a sabretooth tiger? They must be HUGE- come on, it's obvious! How can one possibly claim they were the same "kind" once, and diverged within 6000 years?
Now if we were to compare the Tasmanian Wolf and the European wolf, then I agree... They must be the same kind, they're practically alike. I mean, it's obvious! :p

And how exactly are the differences between humans and chimps non-biological? What do you even mean by that? An extremely developed brain is a biological difference. A very substantial one, no doubt, but still a diversity in the biological plane. Unless you plan to break out the "S" word- but please do so in a theology forum, not here.

As for all your other old "arguments" reposted without a mere reference to their complete dismantlement... I don't have the patience anymore. Our answers to those can be found a dozen times each, if you check all those pointless previous threads. I'm fed up.
Just this:

Wells..      
You still haven't grasped the point: we have a perfect historical record of P,F,S,I,R(omanian)... all descending from Latin.
I have never denied this.  I agree with it.  But it is not specific enough.  My explanation fills in the missing details.
[/quote]

I see.
So, you accept that Portuguese originated from Vulgar Latin, and developed to a separate language by the 5th-9th Century (and that is what Encyclopedia Britannica, the source you blatantly misquoted, actually says about the origin of Portuguese... like all other sources).

But you just want to "fill in the missing details"... by saying that Portuguese didn't exist untill the 12th century, when some knights supposedly had a linguistic influence on Spanish in some undefined way.

...Sure, thordadd... dave, that makes perfect sence. Details: Filled. :D

Look, Dave. It must be obvious to you that you were wrong by know. Now, frankly, I couldn't care less about the origins of Portuguese; what gets to me is your amazing stubborness and inability to lower your guard and let your ego suffer this (minor) blow.
And it is about your ego, dave: You're not speaking for your God or defending your faith or fighting for your beliefs in this issue. It's just about a silly trivial matter, and it's you, dave the mortal man, who hates to admit he was incorrect. That's what irritates me, and keeps me going on this- and it should irritate you too, because it makes you say absurd things like the one above, and will do so even more in the future.

Take this hint from an old troll: Give it up.

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,06:55   

---Deleted, the board "said" it was having server probs...obviously not---

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,07:00   

AFDave:STILL NO SUCCESSFUL REFUTATION OF HUMPHREYS

If the bible said "Yea, and Humphreys did write, and it was bad, and many were the ways that it was wrong, and it led the children into error..."

Short of that, nothing can convince him.

argystokes

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,07:03   

Quote (incorygible @ June 14 2006,09:17)
Quote (argystokes @ June 14 2006,10:49)
I don't think those questions are particularly vague, Dave.  Let's see your calculations.

argystokes, there HAS to be a better way to celebrate your birthday!  (Have good one.  ;)  )

Heh, already did (yesterday).  Now I'm just avoiding studying for prelims.

--------------
"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" -Calvin

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,07:03   

Incorygible...  
If you can't defend your ideas on these grounds, or if you want to hold discourse beyond observable nature, go find a church group or a bong hit.

Wouldn't it be great for you if evolution, geology, and all the other sciences you seek to overturn were among them?  Then maybe your abstract concepts and lack of supportive data would be on an equal footing?

Funny you mention advanced linguistic skills.  I'm working on a paper on behavioral laterality in fish.  Just did a comprehensive lit. review of cognitive lateralization.  Read a ton of papers on hemispheric cognition in the human brain, specifically as it pertains to language and communication.  Does it surprise you that the authors of these papers measured and counted lots of stuff (I can't remember a single analogy)?  Didn't see any of it overturning evolutionary theory (quite the contrary, in fact).

And did you really just use human "scientific inquiry ability" as "non-biological" evidence to overturn the fruits of that inquiry?  You're blowin' my mind, Dave.

Finally, please show me any scientific field, as theoretical as you want, where an argument by analogy and vague gut feelings (it's obvious!;) were used to deny the validity of measurements and other empirical data that were readily available.  My work is actually predominantly theoretical, Dave (despite your implication that I'm a close-minded impiricist), and I'll tell ya something: when you're staring at over a century of work, entire libraries of accumulated data, a vast number of different scientific disciplines agreeing on the same thing, and the very DNA of every living thing on this planet, you better have something better than Ford analogies, appeals to abstract thoughts, and a trip to the zoo.

Beyond that, go do your own homework, Dave.
I've read your books and I don't buy the millions of years.  My question is "On what basis do YOU buy them?"

Fine. You've read what I have (sure you have), critically analyzed what I have (sure you have), and you don't buy it.  Largely on "non-biological" grounds, based on who you'd do in the zoo (maybe AIG can add that to their "goo to you" slogan?).  Me, I do buy it, Dave, and your question is answered.  I generally trust the books, the thousands of papers I've read, the data they present, the stats they use to determine what constitutes relevant findings, the methodology they use, the cohesion of independent lines of inquiry, the scientific method in general, and peer review.  When it comes to ape divergence, I trust the history (ever-changing with the data) of findings in paleontology, morphology, allozyme analysis, molecular clocks, and most recently, sequencing of entire genomes.  I trust hard-working, self-critical, peer-review surviving researchers like myself, who are actually working in the relevant field (I'm not).  But of course, while I'm reading as much as I can of what they've written, I always keep a careful eye out for something I don't trust and that they can't defend.  Easiest way to get famous in science is to overturn a long-standing idea.  Of course, bad analogies and my own mating preferences don't work in this regard.  That's especially true for anything that has survived the inherent scientific cannibalism (and non-scientific objection) as long as evolution has.

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,07:05   

Silly me, I thought you were interested in honest debate and discussion, AFDave. I mention that pressure is an unresolved factor, and you say    
1) They say nothing of the magnitude of the effect. It likely is very small.
2) Why would they use vacuum testing on zircons themselves if it was a problem?  I understand that Farley does not have a pressure testing apparatus, but surely he could come up with one if it was important, no?

No one knows what the effects of pressure on zircon/He diffusion are. You cannot say they are small, or large--because YOU don't know, nor do you know how to calculate the effects. Farley doesn't have a 200-ton press because they are large and expensive and he's a freakin' geologist. It costs MONEY to even get time on a press, and in the case of the Fenton Hill samples, he's thinking that he's just doing a mining company a small job, not needing to perform intense experimentation on zircons/He/temps and pressure.

I mention the studies on pyrite glass done UNDER PRESSURE AND HEAT...and you say that I have "misread"  humphreys...no, I haven't. You admit:  
His logic then is that if something softer than zircon is not substantially affected by pressure, then zircon likely should be affected even less. He also points out that the study on obsidian was done with argon which, of course, is a larger atom than Helium.  This should result in an even lower change in diffusivity.

And I point out that PYRITE is 1) harder than obsidian and Helium diffuses faster through it at temps and pressures in the ranges of the Fenton Hill samples... I GO ON TO POINT OUT THAT HELIUM ACTUALLY  DIFFUSES THROUGH QUARTZ, (HARDER THAN STEEL OR ZIRCON  ON THE MOHS ) FASTER THAN  ZIRCON , AT THE SAME TEMP RANGES....and you wave your hands and say it doesn't MATTER to Humphreys ratty results? It sure does, baboo. His claim was that hardness offsets pressures, remember? Well, it doesn't . READ THE QUARTZ PAPERS. STUDIES OF SUBSTANCES SUCH AS TITANITE ALSO SHOW THAT THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PRESSURE/TEMP/HARDNESS IN DIFFERENT MINERALS IS NOT LINEAR, NOT "PREDICTABLE" UNDER ANY CURRENT MODEL. It **HAS** to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis and the zircon work has NOT been done. In the Pyrite and quartz examples, you get HUGE spikes of activity in diffusion at temp/pressure variables that DO suggest that Fenton Hill zircons were infiltrated.

As for me not knowing precisely the metamict nature of the Fenton Hill samples, yeah, NO ONE DOES, since Humphreys, that good trustworthy guy...won't release any. The same guy that DIDN'T AND NEVER WILL do 3He/4He ratio work that would more than substantially CONFIRM OR DISCONFIRM his CLAIMS

Unlike you, I am not on a crusade, I get bored with answering the same questions and I don't like copy-pasting as you do. I make errors like

doesn't diffuse through glasses softer than zircon...at a rate that would explain his results?
 When what I meant was "at a rate that would damage his results"

This is incredibly minor grammatical/ word choice "error" in comparison to the fact that pyrite and titanite, harder than obsidian--- and quartz, harder than steel, are affected by temperature and pressure in ways that DIRECTLY CONTRADICT HUMPHREYS

Look at how you repeat your same claims about Helium :
1) Helium concentration in basaltic magmatic fluids is much too small by a factor of 40 or so.
2) Helium traveling through a conduit on its own or with CO2 could easily escape into the atmosphere
3) You have to account for the fact that the surrounding biotite contains very close to the amount of Helium produced by the calculated U-decay Helium.  Just a coincidence?
4) How do you keep the Helium in the zircons when the temperature is elevated for so long?  
5) Let's say you can keep the Helium in.  The zircon is 'open' at high temperature, right?  Why wouldn't the concentrations of Helium in the zircon and the surrounding biotite equalize?

Your point (1) is utter nonsense, there are far more mechanisms than just that one (2) Is hand-waving...the issue is "could He get to Fenton Hill in large concentrations sufficient to affect "open" Zircon ?" The answer is a definitive , resounding YES. I know for a fact that you have not read available material on helium geology, or you'd never say what you claimed.
(3-5) As to Biotite containing He in "complimentary" amounts...bullshit. Remember Henke talking about mica He diffusion under pressure/heat? BIOTITE IS MICA. LOOK AT THE RESULTS AND DO YOUR OWN WORK. He DIFFUSES FASTER OUT OF BIOTITE AT TEMP/PRESSURE. HUMPHREYS SIMPLY SKEWED IT.  I am not going to do your mathwork  for you, AFDave, you have to get off your ass and do it.  You have contact with Humphreys' lab...get the data. Show it.

The fact remains: Humphreys is making huge, grandiose claims about this material, and ALL of these issues COULD BE RESOLVED by testing the remaining core material. Cores generally come in at least meter-lengths. WHY DOESN'T HE ALLOW TESTING? WHY WON'T HE ALLOW SAMPLES TO BE TAKEN FROM THE SAME CORES? ...These kinds of "extraordinary claims"  require extraordinary evidence, and Humphreys is behaving just like a con artist. IN fact, I say he IS one and I'd love to have him or anyone else take me to court on libel. I say flat out he's a fraud and a con artist and that he is deliberately duping idiots in order to get money out of them--because , oh, I COULD prove that to within any reasonable doubt in court.

--------------

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,07:06   

He DIFFUSION DATING IS DIFFERENT THAN (U-Th/He) CHRONOMETRY

and ...

STILL NO SUCCESSFUL REFUTATION OF HUMPHREYS

Dave, here's the problem. The entire geological community is aware of the fact that Fenton Hill zircons cannot be dated reliably using He diffusion. There are too many variables (thermal history of the rocks, presence of large amounts of He in the area, etc.) Humphreys' methods simply have not withstood peer review, and more important have not been replicated by anyone else, and not even by Humphreys. The only one who doesn't think Humphreys has been refuted is you.

And, as I and everyone else here have pointed out to you a million times already, you can't overturn an entire methodology, used successfully for decades, by two dubious results. You just can't. Give it up. You're repeating yourself.

--------------
2006 MVD award for most dogged defense of scientific sanity

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

normdoering

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,07:09   

Quote (Chris Hyland @ June 14 2006,11:28)
In short, it's because of non-biological differences.
If they are not caused by biology they have nothing to do with evolution. If you are going to argue that aspects of human intelligence are not a result of our more complex brains, but of some supernatural intervention, I dont see why this is an argument against common descent.

Arguing that aspects of human intelligence are not a result of our more complex brains, but of some supernatural intervention could get you shot down tommorow:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/04/020412080048.htm

In a study published in the April 12, 2002 issue of the journal Science, the scientists noted that the striking difference between these primate cousins is most evident in their brains. The disparity appears to be the result of evolutionary differences in gene and protein expression, the manner in which coded information in genes is activated in the brain, then converted into proteins that carry out many cellular functions.

The brain differences are more a matter of quantity than quality. Differences in the amount of gene and protein expression, rather than differences in the structure of the genes or proteins themselves, distinguish the two species.

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,07:14   

Something that makes me go 'Hmmm ... really?  I never noticed that glaring error before.  OK, you're right'

This has happened one time here so far.  With Dr. Wieland and a statement he made about chromosomes.

Deadman...  
His claim was that hardness offsets pressures, remember?
His claim is that hardness reduces the effect of pressure on diffusion, which he demonstrates with good studies.

pyrite and titanite, harder than obsidian--- and quartz, harder than steel, are affected by temperature and pressure in ways that DIRECTLY CONTRADICT HUMPHREYS
Temperature, of course.  But pressure?  How much effect are we talking?  Which studies are you citing?

Unlike you, I am not on a crusade
You may not be on a crusade personally.  But the NCSE is and I think they run this forum, do they not?  If not, I think it is at least fair to say that you are probably supportive of the NCSE's agenda.  To me, they are crusaders on a 'religious mission to sanitize schools of any mention of a Creator or an Intelligent Designer or a God.'  They apparently think that 'Separation of Church and State' is in the constitution and they think that 'no establishment of religion' means no mention of a Creator or God in public settings.

Quite false interpretation, thus they are 'religious crusaders' with an agenda to promote.  Are you with them?

--------------

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,07:22   

By the way, Dave, when you mentioned "abstract thinking ability" as an "immeasurable", "non-biological" argument against common ancestry of chimps, humans and gorillas, that paper I cited for ya (with the abstract) on May 24 must've slipped your mind, eh?  I know that when you've read as much on this issue as you have, it's easy to forget.  Here it is again:

Hey, Dave, here's a really interesting one among many.  Not only do the bulk of genetic data examined support that chimps are closer to humans than they are to gorillas, it turns out that this relationship holds for the pattern of gene activity in our brains (actually, in that very part of our brains that handles cognitive tasks):

Title: Sister grouping of chimpanzees and humans as revealed by genome-wide phylogenetic analysis of brain gene expression profiles
Author(s): Uddin M, Wildman DE, Liu GZ, Xu WB, Johnson RM, Hof PR, Kapatos G, Grossman LI, Goodman M
Source: PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 101 (9): 2957-2962 MAR 2 2004
Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 50      Times Cited: 32      Find Related Records Information
Abstract: Gene expression profiles from the anterior cingulate cortex (ACC) of human, chimpanzee, gorilla, and macaque samples provide clues about genetic regulatory changes in human and other catarrhine primate brains. The ACC, a cerebral neocortical region, has human-specific histological features. Physiologically, an individual's ACC displays increased activity during that individual's performance of cognitive tasks. Of approximate to45,000 probe sets on microarray chips representing transcripts of all or most human genes, approximate to16,000 were commonly detected in human ACC samples and comparable numbers, 14,00015,000, in gorilla and chimpanzee ACC samples. Phylogenetic results obtained from gene expression profiles contradict the traditional expectation that the non-human African apes (i.e., chimpanzee and gorilla) should be more like each other than either should be like humans. Instead, the chimpanzee ACC profiles are more like the human than like the gorilla; these profiles demonstrate that chimpanzees are the sister group of humans. Moreover, for those unambiguous expression changes mapping to important biological processes and molecular functions that statistically are significantly represented in the data, the chimpanzee clade shows at least as much apparent regulatory evolution as does the human clade. Among important changes in the ancestry of both humans and chimpanzees, but to a greater extent in humans, are the up-regulated expression profiles of aerobic energy metabolism genes and neuronal function-related genes, suggesting that increased neuronal activity required increased supplies of energy.

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,07:23   

Quote (afdave @ June 14 2006,10:43)
In other words ... JonF is tired of being shown how his rebuttals aren't working and can only come up with vague one-liners.
No, Dave, he's not. He's getting tired of repeating himself. What he's shown you is plenty of holes in Humphreys' methodologies that Humphreys did not control for, any one of which calls into question Humphreys' results. This is what scientists do when they see weird, inexplicable results. This is why Humphreys is not a credible scientist.

Instead of trying to figure out why his result don't make sense (and they don't make sense, because they contradict humdreds of thousands of other results), Humphreys assumed they were correct because they support what he wants to believe anyway: that the earth is only a few thousand years old. Meanwhile, real scientists look at his results, point out (exactly as JonF has done) multiple potential sources of error, which Humphreys simply has not eliminated. You may think you can eliminate them by saying things like "they're likely small," or "I don't think that would have an effect," or "probably it happened this way," but you simply cannot.

T'ain't good enough, Dave. What you clearly don't understand is that when a researcher comes up with extraordinary results, the burden is on the researcher, not the critics. This is what Dembski doesn't get either. He thinks his results are entitled to be accepted unless someone can prove him wrong. Science doesn't work that way. If Dembski wants to be taken seriously, he needs to demonstrate the correctness of his results. This, he has failed to do.

You have to go out there and eliminate those sources of error in Humphreys. You can't just dismiss them away. Not when your results are completely orthogonal to everyone else's results. When no one else gets the same results as you do, and can think of a million reasons why you get the results you got, it's a pretty safe bet that you're wrong. Which is what Humphreys is.

Good.  We will move on to the next topic.

About time. This "evidence" for a young earth has been sent to the bottom so many times the wrecked hulls are starting to show above the surface.

--------------

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,07:24   

1. Humphreys  calculations show he fudged ( read skewed) the data. (fact)
2) Humphreys will not release his lab notes or other relevant sample data (fact)
3.) Humphreys claims about helium transport routes/modes are false (fact)
4.) Humphreys claims about "hardness" offsetting pressure are false (fact)
5.) Humphreys has not and will not do He isotope ratio testing despite knowing it will confirm/disconfirm his claims to an enormous degree.(fact)
6.) Humphreys claims about the Fenton Hills zircons ages are questionable and most certainly wrong
I could add more, but frankly, I'm more than satisfied and bored by this. Humphreys claims are based on deliberate manipulation and false claims. I can definitely "prove" this to any board of geologists, which is why Humphreys will never face such scrutiny openly and honestly. He has no choice but to hide

--------------

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,07:26   

Quote (afdave @ June 14 2006,12:14)

Saith AFDave:
To me, they are crusaders on a 'religious mission to sanitize schools of any mention of a Creator or an Intelligent Designer or a God.'  They apparently think that 'Separation of Church and State' is in the constitution and they think that 'no establishment of religion' means no mention of a Creator or God in public settings.

Now, I'm in the UK, and even I know that you cant even get your ranting right.  The NCSE et al are worried about religion in PUBLIC schools.  Let me repeat that.  PUBLIC schools.  That is, ONES FOR THE EDUCATION OF EVERYONE.

Now, pause for a second and consider why that might be a good idea.
Do you want your child to go to a school where people quote the Koran at them, and people say they will end up in (whatever the islamic equivalent of ####)?

THe ACLU has stood up for some people who were preaching in the public square, since they were exercising their rights to free speech in public.  What you dont seem to get is that all people are interested in is not establishing a state religion.  You can still get your children educated in your religion, if you home school or use a private school.  Many people do.  I suggest you look into it.

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,07:45   

Oh, and happy b-day, Argy, and my best wishes on continued solar circumnavigations for you and your argyclan.

--------------

improvius

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,07:50   

Quote (afdave @ June 14 2006,12:14)
To me, they are crusaders on a 'religious mission to sanitize schools of any mention of a Creator or an Intelligent Designer or a God.'  They apparently think that 'Separation of Church and State' is in the constitution and they think that 'no establishment of religion' means no mention of a Creator or God in public settings.

Quite false interpretation, thus they are 'religious crusaders' with an agenda to promote.  Are you with them?

And what do you think motivates these conspirators?

(Sorry, folks, I just want to see how much candy is left in this piñata.)

--------------

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,07:51   

Something that makes me go 'Hmmm ... really?  I never noticed that glaring error before.  OK, you're right'

This has happened one time here so far.  With Dr. Wieland and a statement he made about chromosomes.

Deadman...  
His claim was that hardness offsets pressures, remember?
His claim is that hardness reduces the effect of pressure on diffusion, which he demonstrates with good studies.

pyrite and titanite, harder than obsidian--- and quartz, harder than steel, are affected by temperature and pressure in ways that DIRECTLY CONTRADICT HUMPHREYS
Temperature, of course.  But pressure?  How much effect are we talking?  Which studies are you citing?

Unlike you, I am not on a crusade
You may not be on a crusade personally.  But the NCSE is and I think they run this forum, do they not?  If not, I think it is at least fair to say that you are probably supportive of the NCSE's agenda.  To me, they are crusaders on a 'religious mission to sanitize schools of any mention of a Creator or an Intelligent Designer or a God.'  They apparently think that 'Separation of Church and State' is in the constitution and they think that 'no establishment of religion' (which is in the constitution) means no mention of a Creator or God in public settings.

I'll tell you the fact that remains:  the fact remains that Humphreys did a remarkable thing.  He published predictions in 2000 about Helium diffusion in zircons surrounded by biotite which were remarkably accurate.

If you are not impressed, so be it.  

It was Creationists who forced geologists to discard 'uniformitarianism' in favor of 'neo-catastrophism' and 'episodicity', it was Creationists whose typological perception of nature was vindicated by molecular biology, it was Creationists whose 'Anthropic Principle' has now been vindicated, and it will be Creationists who keep pressing ahead on the cutting edge of science in spite of conventional scientists who don't appreciate their contributions.

(Sorry, guthrie ... meant to say PUBLIC schools)

--------------

improvius

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,08:01   

It was Creationists who forced geologists to discard 'uniformitarianism' in favor of 'neo-catastrophism' and 'episodicity'...

I think you meant it was creationist dogma that forced creation scientists to discard 'uniformitarianism'...

--------------

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,08:07   

1. Humphreys  calculations show he fudged ( read skewed) the data. (fact)

You're wrong. Get the book.  I did and he explains it perfectly.

2) Humphreys will not release his lab notes or other relevant sample data (fact)

How do you know?  Did you ask him?

3.) Humphreys claims about helium transport routes/modes are false (fact)

You are hoping they are anyway.  Highly unlikely.

4.) Humphreys claims about "hardness" offsetting pressure are false (fact)

You're wrong.  And I explained why multiple times.

5.) Humphreys has not and will not do He isotope ratio testing despite knowing it will confirm/disconfirm his claims to an enormous degree.(fact)

No one did that at the time.  He has agreed that he should on future studies.  What more can you ask?

6.) Humphreys claims about the Fenton Hills zircons ages are questionable and most certainly wrong
I could add more, but frankly, I'm more than satisfied and bored by this. Humphreys claims are based on deliberate manipulation and false claims. I can definitely "prove" this to any board of geologists, which is why Humphreys will never face such scrutiny openly and honestly. He has no choice but to hide.
He's not hiding and he's gaining steam.  You will hear much more from him in the future.  He sent his work to many conventional scientists BEFORE publication.  They had very little comment.

I think you meant it was creationist dogma that forced creation scientists to discard 'uniformitarianism'...
Are you saying that the old Lyellian uniformitarianism is still alive?

--------------

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,08:14   

Quote (afdave @ June 14 2006,12:51)
It was Creationists who forced geologists to discard 'uniformitarianism' in favor of 'neo-catastrophism' and 'episodicity', it was Creationists whose typological perception of nature was vindicated by molecular biology, it was Creationists whose 'Anthropic Principle' has now been vindicated, and it will be Creationists who keep pressing ahead on the cutting edge of science in spite of conventional scientists who don't appreciate their contributions.

Oh really now?  So now you CAN explain "ape type" vs. "human type" via molecular biology?  Didn't you just fall back to "non-biological" comparisons?  Vindicated, indeed.

Dave, can you please define these biological "types" for me?  I mean, beyond "humans and other stuff" and "who would you do in the zoo?"  It would be very helpful.  As we speak, I'm working on a paper examining species concepts, attempting to come up with clear, natural, objective "types" (units) for endangered species legislation, and the input would be invaluable.

Of course, since you claim not to have studied the prolific, peer-reviewed literature on "baraminology", maybe you can't help me.  In which case, how can you be sure of "vindication"?  Or are you claiming molecular biology has posed no problem, challenge or contention in Linnaean taxonomy?  Ever been in a room with taxonomists, Dave?  It's bloody dangerous: you get lumped AND split before you know what hit you.

Oh, and why do you ignore those revolutionary Creationists who established that the Earth was much older than a few thousand years, hmmm?

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,08:26   

Quote (afdave @ June 14 2006,12:51)
I'll tell you the fact that remains:  the fact remains that Humphreys did a remarkable thing.  He published predictions in 2000 about Helium diffusion in zircons surrounded by biotite which were remarkably accurate.

If you are not impressed, so be it.

Dave, the reason we're not impressed is because we know his results are almost certainly wrong. The reason you are impressed is because a) you don't have sufficient knowledge to know why he's almost certainly wrong, and b) you want him to be right, so even when we tell you why he's almost certainly wrong, you don't believe it.

--------------

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,08:36   

Dave, I gave you the citations. It is not up to me to spoon-feed you. Quartz, Pyrite and Titanite studies all show that the hardness of a material does not in fact offset pressure in relation to He diffusion. Helium passes through pyrite easily UNDER pressure/temps comparable to the ranges given in the Fenton Hill samples.

Quartz (harder than steel, Dave), ---contrary to Humphreys ---( as shown in the Farley paper I CITED and gave to you...) shows much the same properties, AFDave. Saying that I have not given you the references is a hoot.

As to the Titanite, I told you to go do your homework, Dave. I am not giving you any more than I have to. Go ahead and use Humphreys, it's not hard to show he's a liar. And a fraud. And a con artist.

His response to Henke does not clear Humphreys of faking his data calculations...he did. And no, I'm not giving him money for his "books" Dave. YOU should be able to back your claims by citing him, since you say you have them.  

Humphrey focuses on ONLY magmatic conduits for HE transport. That Helium can be transported via other means is easily available in all the literature on He geology. That remains fact. For Humphreys to ignore that shows he is false in his claims. That also remains a fact.

The FACT that Humphreys knew years ago about He ratios ...shows he's hiding. He's not gaining steam, he's broken down by the side of the road.

As to you asking if I am part of some secret anti-christian agenda at NCSE...no. I just despise liars like Humphreys. The Christians I know are content in their faith and unwilling to be liars for god. Humphreys and others...like you, Dave...are willing to lie for your faith. And don't say you haven't lied, Dave. Remember your claim that my ancestors "devolved" and lost written languages? The last time you attempted to mess with that, you showed you didn't even know the bible.

--------------

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,08:44   

Ah! Finally an intelligent topic on which Dave can engage.
You may not be on a crusade personally.  But the NCSE is and I think they run this forum, do they not?
No, they don't run this forum.
If not, I think it is at least fair to say that you are probably supportive of the NCSE's agenda.
Most scientists are, since the NCSE agenda isn't what you apparently think it is.
To me, they are crusaders on a 'religious mission to sanitize schools of any mention of a Creator or an Intelligent Designer or a God.'
It's interesting that you chose to put that phrase in quotes; did you copy it from somewhere?  The NCSE is engaged in the business of making sure that religions remain as free as possible.  They have no 'religious' mission of any kind, since they are not a religious organization.  They're in favor of your (yes, that's right Dave, your) freedom.  Their point is that in science classes we should teach science.  In religion classes we should teach religion.  And one should not teach the one in the other.
They apparently think that 'Separation of Church and State' is in the constitution
It is by implication, and it doesn't mean what you think it means.
and they think that 'no establishment of religion' means no mention of a Creator or God in public settings.
This is utter nonsense; the separation of church and state simply means that the government cannot make mention of any specific religious belief in such a fashion as to endorse it.  Tell me, Dave - do you really want schools to teach your children religion?  Do you really want the federal government to be in the business of chosing which faith is correct?

We're a representative democracy; it could happen that we vote in a government of Muslims.  Are you quite sure that you want the government in the religion business?

This is about non-discrimination and religious freedom, Dave.  It's about removing (in cases such as the 'ten-commandments' instance) pre-existing bias on the part of the Goverment in favor of one, particular religion.

Or would you rather we simply burn everyone you consider a heretic at the stake?  This country was founded on the idea of religious freedom - why do you wish to remove that freedom?

Quite false interpretation, thus they are 'religious crusaders' with an agenda to promote.  Are you with them?[/quote]

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 14 2006,08:48   

I still maintain that he is so dumb and crazy that he doesn't know he's wrong.

6047 replies since May 01 2006,03:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (202) < ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]