RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (43) < ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... >   
  Topic: Libations and Comestibles< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: June 28 2008,18:32   

Right now I'd enjoying one of these while cooking up a batch of French Onion Soup (Elizabeth is under the weather, and wanted soup).

It may not be the nectar of the designers, but it'll do until the nectar gets here...

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 28 2008,18:50   

Quote (Amadan @ June 28 2008,16:09)
Forget the single malt, I've found the nectar of the gods Designers!

"Otard"? Is that like a creationist from Ireland?

I'll get me coat.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Krubozumo Nyankoye

(Permalink) Posted: June 29 2008,21:10   

Re: K.E. up thread.

Cane juice is worse than "steam". I've had both, just the fermented palm wine and the distillate, they both have a flavor.

Someone else up thread mentioned curry - great stuff that. I
have a formula handed down to me from a venerable establishment in Earl's court called the Sri Lanka. Killer, the best I have had anywhere by far. Made from fresh ingredients and kept tightly stoppered it will keep for a year or two and still pack a real whallop. If I can find it, I will post it for posterity.

Curry is ideal for bush camps. It is guaranteed to sterilize any conceivable combination of local food stuffs and make them moderately palatable no matter how bad they taste in their native state.  Fond memories of all that.

As to the cognac, I have never seen that one, I will have to try to find some and try it. While on the subject of spirits, who among us and the lurkers has experienced Mao Tai? I only recently came across it. ERV posted about it on her old blog some time ago and I think gave it a positive review.  Strange stuff but not bad at all after the first glass....

Crabby Appleton

(Permalink) Posted: July 07 2008,23:45   

Hey Steve, I'll be in Fayetteville this coming weekend and I have a hankerin' for crabs at the beach, (Shut up Louis, I ain't talking 'bout your kinda crabs).

A quick search of the web shows Dirty Dicks in Kill Devil Hills and Buddy's in Wrightsville Beach.

Ever been to either establishment or have another recommendation for a crab house at the beach?

Wrightsville will be closer but I think Kill Devil Hills would be more fun for a day at the beach.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Crabby

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 08 2008,01:34   

You know honestly I never get out to the beach here. I grew up in Florida, and at a lot of seafood there, but in the 9 years since I moved to Raleigh, then Durham, and now Chapel Hill, I think I've been near the beach once. Haven't had much seafood here aside from calamari at 35 Chinese, fried catfish and salmon croquettes I make at home, and the Lobster bisque from Harris Teeter. Somebody here probably can advise you though.

edit: that should read 'ate a lot of seafood there'

Edited by stevestory on July 08 2008,02:35

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 08 2008,01:37   

If you get anywhere near Chapel Hill feel free to stop by for a beer or sixteen.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 08 2008,01:40   

MMMM....salmon croquettes. drool drool drool

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 08 2008,01:47   

I haven't been posting to the libations and comestibles thread lately. I'm not where I want to be for the July 13 triathlon, so I missed that, the next one is the J.F. Hurley Formula 1 Sprint Triathlon which is a totally fucked-up 5-leg race, the Lake Norman triathlon is already closed, so basically, I'm totally pissed off and not going to get back into triathlons til September. And it's depressed my usual gluttony.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 08 2008,01:51   

Guy in the lane next to me today, at Bowman Gray pool, did a triathlon last week in Charleston. Apparently they have them all the time there. Good for him. I'm not driving to the worst state in the union just to do a race.  :angry:

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 08 2008,02:04   

btw, the website for 35 Chinese:

http://www.trianglerestaurants.com/35Chinese/index.html

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 08 2008,02:08   

Quote (Crabby Appleton @ July 08 2008,00:45)
Wrightsville will be closer but I think Kill Devil Hills would be more fun for a day at the beach.

I would move to Kill Devil Hills just to say I lived in f&%*ing Kill Devil Hills, NC.

Crabby Appleton

(Permalink) Posted: July 08 2008,09:08   

Dirty Dick's it is. If it turns out less than stellar I'll blame it on you. I'm not gonna get that close to the coast and stop for a Chinese buffet.

I never drink less than 3 beers or more than 40.

Salmon croquettes? Blecch! My Mom used to make 'em, they always had vertebrae innem. I'd rather eat salmon raw.

I'll PM you later this week.

Crabby

Crabby Appleton

(Permalink) Posted: July 12 2008,00:12   

3 generations of Crabby boys ate fresh caught Carolina Largemouth Bass with boiled baby red potatoes and steamed green beans.

A few of these

washed it all down.

Crabby

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: July 12 2008,09:01   

Celebrated with a bottle of merlot last night, and did not share.

There's some left in the bottom.

FAIL.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: July 13 2008,19:12   

Sunday. The garden breathes well-being, and all is right with the world. Time for a hymn to remind us of the important things.

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

improvius

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2008,19:19   

If anyone is interested in sake, the wife and I are starting a dedicated sake-only forum site:

Sake Forums

--------------
Quote (afdave @ Oct. 02 2006,18:37)
Many Jews were in comfortable oblivion about Hitler ... until it was too late.
Many scientists will persist in comfortable oblivion about their Creator ... until it is too late.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2008,21:34   

Should we call this the Lifestyle thread, rather than just food and drink? I don't know. But treating it as such, here goes.

I've lived in Texas, Indiana, Florida, Georgia, and now North Carolina. Nine years ago I moved, from Florida, first to Raleigh, then Durham, now Chapel hill. I just walked to the convenience store and back, at 10 pm, and my shirt is sticking to me. I hate this. I'm not doing it much longer. I'm going to base my next move on one thing. I am going to find somewhere with a medium size city, where the average temperature is somewhere around 60-70 and the annual temperature variation is one of the lowest in the country. I didn't like the heat and humidity in Florida and it's better up here but it's starting to piss me off here too. 100 degrees can kiss my ass. A lot of wind would be nice too. Based on data like this:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/meantemp.html
http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/maxtemp.html

it looks like I'll be moving to Oregon next. I don't care if the high in January is only 45º, because the high in August is only 79º. Here it's 85º right now at 10:15pm at night. Screw this.

drew91

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2008,06:44   

Quote (stevestory @ July 21 2008,21:34)
it looks like I'll be moving to Oregon next. I don't care if the high in January is only 45º, because the high in August is only 79º.

I was going to wish you luck in your journey to San Diego before you mentioned Oregon.

Maybe you're just thinking aloud, but I say go for it.  I did a post-doc at Oregon State in Corvallis and really enjoyed my time there.  They have great beer and tons of high quality outdoor activities to enjoy, and the coast is fantastic.  The wife and I enjoyed many a trip to the Rogue brewery in Newport on our way to appease her shopping habit in Lincoln City/Depoe Bay.

Eugene and Portland are also really nice.    I'd stay away from the East half of the state if you're not into wild temperature fluctuations though. :)

Here it's 85º right now at 10:15pm at night. Screw this.

Yup.  Here too.  We're having 100º day after 100º day in Austin...and my AC just stopped working (again) last night.   :angry:

Assassinator

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2008,11:15   

Quote (stevestory @ July 21 2008,21:34)
Should we call this the Lifestyle thread, rather than just food and drink? I don't know. But treating it as such, here goes.

I've lived in Texas, Indiana, Florida, Georgia, and now North Carolina. Nine years ago I moved, from Florida, first to Raleigh, then Durham, now Chapel hill. I just walked to the convenience store and back, at 10 pm, and my shirt is sticking to me. I hate this. I'm not doing it much longer. I'm going to base my next move on one thing. I am going to find somewhere with a medium size city, where the average temperature is somewhere around 60-70 and the annual temperature variation is one of the lowest in the country. I didn't like the heat and humidity in Florida and it's better up here but it's starting to piss me off here too. 100 degrees can kiss my ass. A lot of wind would be nice too. Based on data like this:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/meantemp.html
http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/maxtemp.html

it looks like I'll be moving to Oregon next. I don't care if the high in January is only 45º, because the high in August is only 79º. Here it's 85º right now at 10:15pm at night. Screw this.

Why would you want a lot of wind? It's just annoying when you're going to cycle somewhere (something wich I wich I do a lót, ya know, Dutch ;)). A nice breeze on warm days is nice though. Agree on you about the temperatures though, those in Oregon sound perfect (although 45 in January doesn't mean snow :().
But it seems you've moved a lót, what about friends and family then? I mean, talking to them via teh intrawebz isn't everything. Can't imagine moving so easely so far away.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2008,11:20   

Quote (drew91 @ July 22 2008,07:44)
I was going to wish you luck in your journey to San Diego before you mentioned Oregon.

According to the data I found, San Diego and several other Californian cities have the same attributes I'm looking for as Oregon. But California's housing prices are prohibitively expensive, so I think Oregon it is.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2008,13:01   

Quote (stevestory @ July 22 2008,09:20)

Quote (drew91 @ July 22 2008,07:44)

According to the data I found, San Diego and several other Californian cities have the same attributes I'm looking for as Oregon. But California's housing prices are prohibitively expensive, so I think Oregon it is.

If you're really jonesing for 250+ overcast days a year & LOTS of rain, Oregon should definitely scratch your itch. But keep in mind, Oregon is cheap for a reason: it's got one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. There's Portland (a great city), + a few pockets like Eugene & Corvallis, but aside from that, it's very poor. The basic demographic of rural/small town Oregon is unemployed alcoholic loggers, hippie expats from California, and pot growers. (These categories overlap. In some places you can add poverty-stricken, pissed off Indians.) Also, most of the state is very Red, except for Portland and Eugene, which are very Blue.

Also, the state has been filling up with old people from California for some time now. Again, beautiful scenery + no jobs = cheap land for wealthy retirees.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2008,13:04   

How's the employment in Portland, I wonder? That's probably where I'd move.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2008,13:08   

Quote (stevestory @ July 22 2008,11:04)

Not sure, but probably not bad. If you're seriously considering it, go visit the place to see how you like it. I'd recommend a mid-winter visit, so you're clear on what you're getting into.

While you're there, visit Powell's Books, the best bookstore I've ever been in.

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2008,13:18   

hey sternburglar, ashevegas ain't too bad.  ifn' you can afford it.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2008,13:26   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ July 22 2008,11:18)

And you'll be neighbors with Joy!

--------------

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2008,13:39   

Quote (stevestory @ July 22 2008,13:04)

I would note that, in the current Money magazine, Chapel Hill comes in at No. 65 on the list of Top 100 small cities to live in.  By contrast, Oregon has no entries on the list.

HA HA.  I live in No. 6!!! Of course, it is hotter than blazes here, too. So, maybe you shouldn't bring your sweaty stuff here.  More beer for me that way.

EDIT:Unverbed an adjective.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2008,13:52   

Quote (carlsonjok @ July 22 2008,11:39)
Quote (stevestory @ July 22 2008,13:04)

I would note that, in the current Money magazine, Chapel Hill comes in at No. 65 on the list of Top 100 small cities to live in.  By contrast, Oregon has no entries on the list.

HA HA.  I live in No. 6!!! Of course, it is hotter than blazes here, too. So, maybe you shouldn't bring your sweating stuff here.  More beer for me that way.

Jumping Jeezus on a pogo stick, only 4 cities in California, and they're frigging Irvine, Roseville, Fountain Valley, and Sunnyvale?

Roseville is uncontrolled surburban sprawl minimall hell, and Sunnyvale is the same thing, except for people with 7-figure salaries.

Yeesh, why don't they just put Colorado Springs as number one?

--------------

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2008,13:57   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ July 22 2008,13:52)
Yeesh, why don't they just put Colorado Springs as number one?

My understanding is that Colorado Springs has an out-of-control theft problem,

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2008,14:06   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ July 22 2008,13:26)
Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,July 22 2008,11:18)

And you'll be neighbors with Joy!

actually, from her account, it looks like she lives closer to Old Fort or Marion.  not sure where her aura resides, perhaps on the moon or beneath a silvery waterfall in a pastoral glen.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2008,14:21   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,July 22 2008,12:06)
not sure where her aura resides, perhaps on the moon or beneath a silvery waterfall in a pastoral glen.

On a mountain. She said so.

--------------

1287 replies since June 07 2007,18:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (43) < ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]