RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (356) < ... 187 188 189 190 191 [192] 193 194 195 196 197 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 4, Fostering a Greater Understanding of IDC< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,13:08   

Only thing I can think of would be precursor molecules or something along the RNA-world organisms.

Or something along those lines that is completely unexpected or unprecedented. I would accept it as a personal favor if they found something interesting and pre-biotic. Or even post-biotic.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,13:10   

Wonderful news for NASA: tjguy says it's OK to continue.
Exploring God’s creation is fine. Using our God-given talents to travel to other planets is not wrong. Whether or not humans will ever live on Mars is an unknown at this time. I personally highly doubt that will ever happen between now and when Jesus returns.

(UD link)

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,13:15   

i hope they find the book of mormon

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,13:27   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Aug. 07 2012,14:08)
Only thing I can think of would be precursor molecules or something along the RNA-world organisms.

Or something along those lines that is completely unexpected or unprecedented. I would accept it as a personal favor if they found something interesting and pre-biotic. Or even post-biotic.

I'd love to see a mineral formation made of a mineral we know is created by life when we find it on Earth.

Mars had water on the surface for a long time, maybe a billion years. Enough time for life and photosynthesis, compared to Earth. Unless OOL needs a moon and/or deep se vents...

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,13:30   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Aug. 07 2012,13:08)

Bonus points if it doesn't taste like chicken.

--------------
"Just think if every species had a different genetic code We would have to eat other humans to survive.." : Joe G

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,13:30   

Quote (JohnW @ Aug. 07 2012,13:10)
Wonderful news for NASA: tjguy says it's OK to continue.

Exploring God’s creation is fine. Using our God-given talents to travel to other planets is not wrong. Whether or not humans will ever live on Mars is an unknown at this time. I personally highly doubt that will ever happen between now and when Jesus returns.

(UD link)

But what if they find Baby Martian Jesus?  Did we bring enough gifts?

--------------
"Just think if every species had a different genetic code We would have to eat other humans to survive.." : Joe G

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,14:38   

Upright Biped mistakes a dream for real life and says this:
ID can demonstate at a purely material level that the recorded information in the genome is not merely analogous to other “forms” of recorded information, but instead exhibits the exact same material consequences. Those material consequences demonstrate an irreducibly complex core which neccesarily includes two arrangements of matter which must be coordinated yet do not interact. Moreover, ID can demonstrate that it is specifically the arbitrary relationship operating within the system which determines biofunction. Finally, ID can pose the logical questions that demonstate that the system could not function in any other way.

Lol @ Dullped.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,14:52   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Aug. 07 2012,15:38)
Upright Biped mistakes a dream for real life and says this:

ID can demonstate at a purely material level that the recorded information in the genome is not merely analogous to other “forms” of recorded information, but instead exhibits the exact same material consequences. Those material consequences demonstrate an irreducibly complex core which neccesarily includes two arrangements of matter which must be coordinated yet do not interact. Moreover, ID can demonstrate that it is specifically the arbitrary relationship operating within the system which determines biofunction. Finally, ID can pose the logical questions that demonstate that the system could not function in any other way.

Lol @ Dullped.

Too bad for the IDCists that they can't demonstrate how this supports their position or how it differs from "Gee, that looks real complicated.  God musta dunnit."

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,14:58   

I'm glad to hear that information stored in DNA is not just analogous to information stored in hard drives and in books, and that biological information is not just a metaphor, but is actually stored in tiny hard drives.

It is also useful to know that DNA translation does not take place through chemical templating, but that proteins are immaculately conceived with no physical interaction.

This is good stuff that I was lied to about.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,14:59   

Since the rover landed near an alluvial fan, I want to see a fossilized shell.

--------------
Ignored by those who can't provide evidence for their claims.

http://skepticink.com/smilodo....retreat

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,15:04   

Quote (OgreMkV @ Aug. 07 2012,12:59)
Since the rover landed near an alluvial fan, I want to see a fossilized shell.

I'm hoping for "DENYSE O'LEARY IS A CLUELESS MORON" carved on the walls of Gale Crater.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Freddie

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,15:20   

I hope they find a footprint on Friday.

--------------
Joe: Most criticisims of ID stem from ignorance and jealousy.
Joe: As for the authors of the books in the Bible, well the OT was authored by Moses and the NT was authored by various people.
Byers: The eskimo would not need hairy hair growth as hair, I say, is for keeping people dry. Not warm.

BillB

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,15:24   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Aug. 07 2012,19:27)
Quote (midwifetoad @ Aug. 07 2012,14:08)

I'd love to see a mineral formation made of a mineral we know is created by life when we find it on Earth.

Mars had water on the surface for a long time, maybe a billion years. Enough time for life and photosynthesis, compared to Earth. Unless OOL needs a moon and/or deep se vents...

The response from IDists to any solid evidence of life on Mars would either be to claim that it must'v got there from earth (probably by design) or, they will find some vaguely ID supporting proponent who once said something about life on Mars not being a problem for ID, wheel out some quotes and claim that ID predicted it, therefore nothing ever evolved ever, and jesus.

Aaaaaannd, if nothing lifelike is found, they will claim that ID predicted it, therefore nothing ever evolved ever, and jesus. ... and global warming isn't happening etc.

ID is a theory in the true spirit of their favorite designer - omnipotent - ID predicts all things, and none.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,15:31   

To be fair, evolution predicts nothing about what you might find on a planet like mars. We can hope for interesting chemistry, but we are just beginning to understand the geology.

Now if you found a truly earth-like planet without any trace of life, that would be a big pre-cambrian bunny.

--------------

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,16:34   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Aug. 07 2012,12:32)
A bacteria is as good as a T.rex, Kathie gal.

I can think of something I'd rather see than a bacterium. Anyone want to guess what I think would be more exciting than a bacterium.

Hint: it would be less "complex."

I'm hoping that they find a beer can.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,16:45   

Did the presence of Steve Fuller at UD precipitate a constitutional crisis on Montserrat?
ETA:

BA77 also seems to be occupied elsewhere. I can't remember a major thread at UD without input from those two.

Edited by midwifetoad on Aug. 07 2012,17:47

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,19:51   

Quote (N.Wells @ Aug. 07 2012,17:34)

I can think of something I'd rather see than a bacterium. Anyone want to guess what I think would be more exciting than a bacterium.

Ha! if you find a beer can that means there is something else there that is worth getting.  if i know sign correctly, and I think I do.

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,20:37   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Aug. 07 2012,19:51)

Ha! if you find a beer can that means there is something else there that is worth getting.  if i know sign correctly, and I think I do.

Even if it's a Miller Light?  Black Label?  

O'Douls?  :D

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,21:23   

yeah dude if i see a beer can in an out of the way part of the woods, I think, "What was this drunk doing here?"  Usually it has to do with Panax.  Sometimes it leads to other goodies!  And you can date the roots by the vintage of the cans.  No shit

--------------

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,21:58   

Gil proposes a nastiness quotient.

No doubt the unit of measure will be the mKf, after He
Who Asks Not To Be Named.

Edited by midwifetoad on Aug. 07 2012,21:59

--------------

REC

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,22:04   

sergiomendesAugust 7, 2012 at 8:46 pm
News:

“The real reason Copernicus replaced Ptolemy was that his calendar worked more simply.”

ha ha ha. good joke, no?

sergio

Lol...but seriously, wtf 'News'?

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 08 2012,01:05   

Quote (Badger3k @ Aug. 07 2012,20:37)
Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Aug. 07 2012,19:51)

Even if it's a Miller Light?  Black Label?  

O'Douls?  :D

Yes, a Miller Light would be nearly definitive proof that there is no significantly intelligent life in the universe.
:)

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 08 2012,07:58   

it could be proof of rednecks though and they are usually up to something when they are in the woods, like finding a watch on a beach

--------------

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 08 2012,09:16   

wd400 asks bornagain77 a simple question:
Are you actually saying all random mutations destroy information? And that, say, once and A -> G mutation has occured the back mutation G -> A either (a) couldn’t happen by random mutation or (b) would also decrease information?

In either case, I should like an explanation (ideally with[out] blockquotes…) as to why you think this.

It turns out the answer is "No."  Twelve block quotes spread over three additional comments.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 08 2012,10:13   

How can you tell that BA77 is lying? He's posting.

Consider his paraphrasing of this piece of shit from the Discovery Institute.

But there are solid empirical grounds for arguing that changes in DNA alone cannot produce new organs or body plans. A technique called "saturation mutagenesis"1,2 has been used to produce every possible developmental mutation in fruit flies (Drosophila melanogaster),3,4,5 roundworms (Caenorhabditis elegans),6,7 and zebrafish (Danio rerio),8,9,10 and the same technique is now being applied to mice (Mus musculus).11,12

None of the evidence from these and numerous other studies of developmental mutations supports the neo-Darwinian dogma that DNA mutations can lead to new organs or body plans--because none of the observed developmental mutations benefit the organism.

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2010.......otnote1

Of course it would be physically impossible to perform the experiment implied, so you know immediately that they are lying. No tests of  improved functionally were done,

Which is why the lying scum BA77 doesn't link to the published journal and why DI hopes you don't read it.

http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/content....df+html

How can these people sleep at night knowing their life's work is rubbish, and their children's names will be the object of ridicule forever.

--------------

DiEb

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 08 2012,10:29   

Joe's reply to Bartax sums up the culture of discourse at Uncommon Descent:
fartmax- YOU are the one throwing insults around.

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 08 2012,10:36   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Aug. 07 2012,20:51)

Bar-B-Q?

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 08 2012,11:03   

Quote (DiEb @ Aug. 08 2012,11:29)

Bartax asks a good question in that thread:
Is UD so desperate for ‘traffic’ that people with severe social difficulties such as Joe are allowed to post without restraint or censure?

I would love to hear Barry's answer.

Edited by Patrick on Aug. 08 2012,12:27

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 08 2012,11:27   

Quote (Patrick @ Aug. 08 2012,09:03)
Quote (DiEb @ Aug. 08 2012,11:29)

Bartax asks a good question in that thread:
Is UD so desperate for ‘traffic’ that people with severe social difficulties such as Joe are allowed to post without restraint or censure?

I woud love to hear Barry's answer.

I think the only open question about Barry's response is: will Bartax's bannination be silent or announced?

--------------

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 08 2012,11:45   

If Bartax is lurking here, perhaps s/he will consider bringing up the posted UD rules:

No swearing.

Try to be polite.

Try to be tolerant.

Try to keep belligerence and sarcasm in check.

It's almost like they had Joe in mind!

10669 replies since Aug. 31 2011,21:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (356) < ... 187 188 189 190 191 [192] 193 194 195 196 197 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]