RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (356) < ... 186 187 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 195 196 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 4, Fostering a Greater Understanding of IDC< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 06 2012,14:57   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Aug. 06 2012,20:49)
Probably cheeting with a neighboring species.

That suggests very paw upbringing, but I suppose these things can happen in spots.

Happily, most of them know that a family that preys together stays together.

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 06 2012,15:06   

Suppose we go to another planet and find one being there, looking exactly like a human being. Everything we can measure about this being confirms that it is just as much alive as you and me. It eats, moves, heals, replenishes, communicates, feels, defecates. Learning more about this being, though, we find that it has no ancestors, and that it does not age. It does not reproduce, and it is the only such being on the planet. Thus, there is no lineage of descent and no population that can evolve. So this being is then not alive? Of course it is. This definition does not work.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/....ent.com
(home page)

What is the point of this argument?

If we saw living things poofed into existence on a regular basis, then magic would be real, and science would have to deal with it.

Edited by midwifetoad on Aug. 06 2012,15:08

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 06 2012,15:32   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Aug. 06 2012,15:06)

Suppose we go to another planet and find one being there, looking exactly like a human being. Everything we can measure about this being confirms that it is just as much alive as you and me. It eats, moves, heals, replenishes, communicates, feels, defecates. Learning more about this being, though, we find that it has no ancestors, and that it does not age. It does not reproduce, and it is the only such being on the planet. Thus, there is no lineage of descent and no population that can evolve. So this being is then not alive? Of course it is. This definition does not work.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/....ent....ent.com
(home page)

If we saw living things poofed into existence on a regular basis, then magic would be real, and science would have to deal with it.

It is a rather interesting mental exercise to go through, and rather quickly points to some problems to me. If it does not age, why does it eat, heal, respire, or defecate? What does it "replenish"? How can it possibly be said to be "alive" if it is apparently not "living" (since it is not aging or dying).

That's the problem with making up such hypothetical scenarios without a real understanding of what the terms in the scenario mean. It's clear that the writer doesn't understand why biological organisms eat and defecate, to say nothing of what "alive" really entails. While I'll agree to some extent that reproduction is not in and of itself a necessary parameter for defining "living" things, it is a necessary indirect characteristic if the concept of "living" is to have any meaning.

ETA: Bjorn offers a preliminary rejection of the type of rebuttal I've offered. To wit:

For those of you who would object that this example is irrelevant, because no such being that is alive but does not evolve has ever been found: definitions must encompass such thought experiments, or they are useless.

Incorrect Bjorn. Definitions must encompass all possible hypothesis-meeting-concepts of life given the rules of chemistry and physics. There's no need for definitions to meet hypothetical situations that defy chemistry outright. Agelessness is circumspect at best and begs the question of even the loosest notion of life, but agelessness coupled with actions like defecation and eating makes no sense whatsoever.

Edited by Robin on Aug. 06 2012,15:41

--------------
we IDists rule in design for the flagellum and cilium largely because they do look designed. Bilbo

The only reason you reject Thor is because, like a cushion, you bear the imprint of the biggest arse that sat on you. Louis

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 06 2012,16:09   

depends on how you define "is", counselor

hey bjorn have you ever really looked at your hand,man

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell.Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 06 2012,16:15   

these postmodern fundies are still butthurt over particulate material inheritance, if evilution is real when does your soul attach, darwinist?

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell.Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Soapy Sam

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 06 2012,17:13   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Aug. 06 2012,13:36)

As far as I can tell; genetic entropy is used by creationists to support a very young Earth. If mutations are bad (and we all know that every single mutation is always bad, right?)...

Someone needs to get the word out to PaV:

So, what we see is either completely non-neo-Darwinian in character, or, by default, it is a simple SNP, which, given a large population size can be arrived at fairly quickly...

http://www.uncommondescent.com/evoluti....-429396

Followed up by Nick.

PaV  
Lets point out that Darwinists insisted that junk-DNA had no function and was a confirmation of their theory. ID said that didnt make much sense. Who turned out to be right?

Fuck me. Fuck me, fuck me, fuck me.

I have actually argued this with PaV, under heavy cover. Who actually said that junk DNA was a prediction of Darwinism? He asn't able to say. It was a prediction of Ohno, based upon genome size and mutational load, which appears to have been borne out, but could conceivably be overturned by new data. But those Alu scars? Not a fucking chance.

The function discovered so far pushes figures from what - 95% to 94.something? Big deal. Keep it up, Mr another-bad-day-for-darwinism! Like saying a couple of drops of rain means the Sahara isn't a desert after all. And whatever the outcome, Darwin don't give a shit. We already have organisms with no junk, and no-one bats an eyelid.

--------------
SoapySam is a pathetic asswiper. Joe G

BTW, when you make little jabs like “I thought basic logic was one thing UDers could handle,” you come off looking especially silly when you turn out to be wrong. - Barry Arrington

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 06 2012,18:11   

Also, where did ID say junk DNA had a function.  The earliest mention that I can find of ID saying anything about junk DNA having a function is Behe in 1996.

Of course, Gould had been saying that since 1978.  So I'm not real sure why ID can even make the claim.

--------------
Ignored by those who can't provide evidence for their claims.

http://skepticink.com/smilodo....retreat

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,02:16   

Okay, it's O'Leary WTF time once again.

WTF is this all about?  
Premier Canadian blogger asks us to defend Mars exploration

Rover Curiosity landed, and

Here.

Its a rock in the sky.

With nothing on it.

This is barely one step up from, Wow, man! Have you ever looked at your hand? I mean, REALLY looked at it??

Not agreeing or disagreeing, the News desk here asks, defend it.

WHY do it?

She speaks for many taxpayers.

(News will respond later.)

"Here" leads to "Five Feet of Fury", a blog by one Kathy Shaidle. If Ms. Shaidle is truly one of Canada's "Premium" bloggers, then I fear for our friends to the North.

Also, as a Canadian, I doubt if any of her taxes went into Curiosity. But what the heck, this is Uncommon Descent, so I don't think anyone will bring that up.

Surprisingly, Robert Sheldon has about the only response that's not foolish or shameful and he makes a good case for exploration in general.

RkBall, meanwhile, appears to be having some fun with ID-Think:
Unless someone can prove that life could not possibly have formed on Mars and then been transported to the earth through small increments, my Marwinian theory of OOL remains intact. The purpose of the Mars expedition is to fish for data that supports my theory, while disregarding the rest.

I can't help quote mining johnnyb's response:
Well, I, for one, defend the statement, Wow, man! Have you ever looked at your hand? I mean, REALLY looked at it?? Most people havent, and yet, there is a lot about biology you can learn just from this. Im reminded of Louis Agassizs command to Look at your fish!

This is the first step to knowing.

Louis Agassiz is one of ID's favorite scientists, mainly because he opposed Darwin. Google Agassiz negro for another look at an ID hero.

BillB

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,02:28   

Quote (OgreMkV @ Aug. 07 2012,00:11)
Also, where did ID say junk DNA had a function. The earliest mention that I can find of ID saying anything about junk DNA having a function is Behe in 1996.

Of course, Gould had been saying that since 1978. So I'm not real sure why ID can even make the claim.

And on what basis - because 'it doesn't make sense' - sounds like a nice sciency hypothesis.

Human designers include junk in designs, either by blind copying of errors or depreciated functional elements, or to deliberately obfuscate attempts to back engineer - so if you want to draw analogies from known designers then you have to conclude that sometimes including junk in a design makes sense.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,03:08   

Quote (OgreMkV @ Aug. 06 2012,18:11)
Also, where did ID say junk DNA had a function. The earliest mention that I can find of ID saying anything about junk DNA having a function is Behe in 1996.

Of course, Gould had been saying that since 1978. So I'm not real sure why ID can even make the claim.

Well, obviously Gould was a closet ID supporter.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Soapy Sam

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,04:46   

Quote (OgreMkV @ Aug. 06 2012,18:11)

Of course, Gould had been saying that since 1978.

Not so sure - see 'spandrels' and the 'adaptationist program' - but certainly those Darwinist opponents of Ohno, and later Doolittle and Sapienza, took a fair while to swallow the notions that most DNA in larger genomes could not be functional, and that DNA that acts purely on its own account can inflate genomes by that mechanism.

Darwinists resisted junk, and some still do.

The fuss died down, and despite lots of interesting things that are being discovered about the role of those elements in evolution, it still looks like raindrops in the Sahara. [PaV scans sky, a tiny cloud momentarily blocking the sun]. Any minute now, it's going to rain. Any minute .... better get inside, it's going to be a deluge ... no, I mean it, it's gonna absolutely ... any minute now...

--------------
SoapySam is a pathetic asswiper. Joe G

BTW, when you make little jabs like “I thought basic logic was one thing UDers could handle,” you come off looking especially silly when you turn out to be wrong. - Barry Arrington

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,06:11   

Gil:  
The other night I was watching a TV show about snakes on one of the nature channels. It was absolutely fascinating. Snakes are indeed very interesting creatures. At least every few minutes the narrator made comments like: Then evolution produced this feature. This other feature was created by evolution because it had a survival advantage. The snakes venom evolved from a less-toxic precursor venom from a previous species.

Obviously, Im not quoting exactly, but the entire program was infested with regularly introduced and completely unsubstantiated declarations of the creative powers of evolution, with absolutely no evidence or justification, or even what evolution means in terms of the mechanisms and probabilities involved.

This kind of thing is passed off as science on a regular basis in the popular media, when, in fact, it is purely unjustified speculation the antithesis of legitimate science.

sergiomendes:

perhaps enforcement of time limit prohibit evidence and explain presentations that are many and long. program become all day long, no? ha ha

timothya

If you want an exegesis on the evolutionary origins of snakes, read the scientific literature. If you want the potted version, watch a reputable TV channel. If you want reinforcement of your intellectual prejudices, buy a dog.

Lol @ Gil

The trouble is that Gil fails to realise that while we could write this:  
Then Intelligent Design produced this feature. This other feature was created by Intelligent Design because it had a survival advantage. The snakes venom was Intelligently Designed from a less-toxic precursor venom from a previous species.

that's all we could write about it. As design is also a mechanism remember? And ID ain't no mechanistic theory.

So while to an IDiot this:

Then Intelligent Design produced this feature. This other feature was created by Intelligent Design because it had a survival advantage. The snakes venom was Intelligently Designed from a less-toxic precursor venom from a previous species.

is as valid as this:

Then evolution produced this feature. This other feature was created by evolution because it had a survival advantage. The snakes venom evolved from a less-toxic precursor venom from a previous species.

What the IDiot fails to realise is that this:

Then evolution produced this feature. This other feature was created by evolution because it had a survival advantage. The snakes venom evolved from a less-toxic precursor venom from a previous species.

can be backed up (if you want an exegesis on the evolutionary origins of snakes read the scientific literature) but this:

is all there is as far as an ID "explanation" goes. Unless you know something I don't Gil? Oh, that's right....

Hey, Gil, how does ID explain venom?

If you or the other tools at UD had any genuine interest in biology you'd not be satisfied with taking pot shots at TV shows thinking that you are achieving something.

The funny thing is that the question you ask in your OP:

Do you believe in intelligent design? If so, or if not, what does intelligent design mean, and what are the claims made by those who promote intelligent design?

has yet to be answered.

It seems there are as many claims as there are IDiots.

Why don't you answer these questions Gil? Compare your answers to Joe perhaps?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gaugers work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,06:24   

http://www.arn.org/....arn.org is back up.

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,07:28   

Quote (Robin @ Aug. 06 2012,15:32)

(home page)

It is a rather interesting mental exercise to go through, and rather quickly points to some problems to me. If it does not age, why does it eat, heal, respire, or defecate? What does it "replenish"? How can it possibly be said to be "alive" if it is apparently not "living" (since it is not aging or dying).

That's the problem with making up such hypothetical scenarios without a real understanding of what the terms in the scenario mean. It's clear that the writer doesn't understand why biological organisms eat and defecate, to say nothing of what "alive" really entails. While I'll agree to some extent that reproduction is not in and of itself a necessary parameter for defining "living" things, it is a necessary indirect characteristic if the concept of "living" is to have any meaning.

ETA: Bjorn offers a preliminary rejection of the type of rebuttal I've offered. To wit:

For those of you who would object that this example is irrelevant, because no such being that is alive but does not evolve has ever been found: definitions must encompass such thought experiments, or they are useless.

Incorrect Bjorn. Definitions must encompass all possible hypothesis-meeting-concepts of life given the rules of chemistry and physics. There's no need for definitions to meet hypothetical situations that defy chemistry outright. Agelessness is circumspect at best and begs the question of even the loosest notion of life, but agelessness coupled with actions like defecation and eating makes no sense whatsoever.

As close a definition of animal life as I can think of, is that it basically is like a double walled tube, open at both ends. The inner tube, nutrition in at one end, waste out the other.

If there is no flow through that channel the thing is dead, or will soon be.

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,08:03   

Could someone ask Steve Fuller if Douglas Axe and Ann Gauger  are good examples of science informed by theology.

How about Behe and Dembski.

Can he point to an exemplar?

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,08:21   

Quote (Quack @ Aug. 07 2012,07:28)
As close a definition of animal life as I can think of, is that it basically is like a double walled tube, open at both ends. The inner tube, nutrition in at one end, waste out the other.

I agree. The problem I have with Bjorn's hypothetical is that it encompasses basic biological functions for no reason. Anything that is ageless could not eat (or at least combust) food and produce waste. That biological function alone causes degradation to the system while providing the necessary nutrients for biological function.

Basically, Bjorn appears to be describing fire in the shape of a human as a biologically alive organism.

--------------
we IDists rule in design for the flagellum and cilium largely because they do look designed. Bilbo

The only reason you reject Thor is because, like a cushion, you bear the imprint of the biggest arse that sat on you. Louis

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,08:53   

As evidenced by Hollywood, many things can be imagined.

But a good thought experiment requires some connection to reality. Einstein's examples come to mind.

A teapot or monolith orbiting Jupiter, or a race of creatures having no history invokes magic rather than science.

If we find such an entity we might be justified in provisionally accepting poofery, but with the evidence at hand we can reasonably conclude that life has a history.

It is interesting that when it comes  to OOL, theists like to quote the dictum life comes from life. Except for first life, which was obviously poofed into existence.

The hallmark of antievolution is belief in magic.

--------------

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,09:24   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Aug. 07 2012,00:16)

WTF is this all about?
Premier Canadian blogger asks us to defend Mars exploration(snippety snip snip)

1. "Premier [anything] blogger" is like "world champion spoons player". Who gives a rat's?

2. This Canadian has never heard of her.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,10:17   

Quote (fnxtr @ Aug. 07 2012,09:24)

WTF is this all about?  

1. "Premier [anything] blogger" is like "world champion spoons player". Who gives a rat's?

LOL@JohnnyB

From an ID perspective, isnt it neat that our nearest neighbor is the one most likely to offer a colonizable environment? In other words, not only is the universe set up for exploration, but it seems to be setup in a step-wise manner, so that we can incrementally build up our technology to achieve things.

shocking that two close planets should be compositionally similar and enjoy similar amounts of sunlight! But our closest neighbour is in fact... the moon.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,10:27   

Did I detect "incremental" and "step-wise" in that post?

--------------

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,11:08   

More voice of reason from StephenB

The point at issue is this: IDs design inference cannot begin with a theological assumption of design since its whole point is to argue the case for designnot to presuppose its presence. The historical references about theologys influence on science are all true, granted, but that same dynamic cannot be applied to ID science. Otherwise, it will no longer be ID science. ID science cannot benefit by assuming its conclusion.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/philoso....-429491

--------------

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,11:42   

Quote (Quack @ Aug. 07 2012,08:28)
Quote (Robin @ Aug. 06 2012,15:32)

(home page)

I think that lots of primitive animals are only open at one end. Food comes in and waste goes out through the same orifice. Think sponge, jellyfish, etc.

--------------
Im referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
Im not an evolutionist, Im a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,11:49   

Quote (fnxtr @ Aug. 07 2012,10:24)

WTF is this all about?  

Kathie is one of DeNews' special friends in the Canadian conservative blogosphere (picture whistling Arctic desolation...).

Her demand for the possibility of dinosaurs on Mars is a hoot, since that is basically what the mission is about - finding evidence of past life, or conditions amenable to same. A bacteria is as good as a T.rex, Kathie gal.

--------------
Im referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,11:52   

Eric Anderson sez You leave Yavin IV alone!

So lets focus on the real issue: the improbabilities surrounding a naturalistic abiogenesis. And tone down the anti-space, anti-planetary search rhetoric. That is not the right place to hang IDs hat, and it is growing pretty thin.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,11:56   

Science, when they're not trying to redefine it, they're against it, or don't believe (in) it.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,12:32   

A bacteria is as good as a T.rex, Kathie gal.

I can think of something I'd rather see than a bacterium. Anyone want to guess what I think would be more exciting than a bacterium.

Hint: it would be less "complex."

--------------

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,12:39   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Aug. 07 2012,10:32)

I can think of something I'd rather see than a bacterium. Anyone want to guess what I think would be more exciting than a bacterium.

Mr Leathers?

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,12:55   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Aug. 07 2012,12:32)

Only thing I can think of would be precursor molecules or something along the RNA-world organisms.  I'm not sure they would make it in the environment, but then again who knows what they could take.

I'd like to see something that is completely new.  Not sure what that would be.  A living virus or prion creature.  Or six-armed white apes.

--------------
"Just think if every species had a different genetic code We would have to eat other humans to survive.." : Joe G

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,12:56   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Aug. 07 2012,13:32)

A creationist?

Tip the fish, give the waitress my coat.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 07 2012,13:04   

Mr Leathers?

You win the internet.

+1 if it's owner is found holding it.

--------------

10669 replies since Aug. 31 2011,21:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (356) < ... 186 187 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 195 196 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]