RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 824 825 826 827 828 [829] 830 831 832 833 834 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2008,19:29   

Now when Solon and Lazarus attempted to spread the Word of God at UD they got shut down in a day or two, if I remember correctly.

Seems like beancan is channeling their tard.

I might have to actually -gulp- read some of that thread.

Hey anyone notice that there are no (obvious) womens  on UD?  Anyone ever noticed that 'thread' is an anagram for He-Tard?  Thanks for keeping us honest Kristine.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

rhmc

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2008,19:39   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Jan. 30 2008,17:37)
The mound of Sheryl?

perhaps more than one...

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2008,20:03   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Jan. 30 2008,18:29)
Now when Solon and Lazarus attempted to spread the Word of God at UD they got shut down in a day or two, if I remember correctly.

Seems like beancan is channeling their tard.

I might have to actually -gulp- read some of that thread.

Hey anyone notice that there are no (obvious) womens  on UD?  Anyone ever noticed that 'thread' is an anagram for He-Tard?  Thanks for keeping us honest Kristine.

*Beams innocently* And "read" is an anagram for "dear."

Quote (J-Dog @ Jan. 30 2008,16:13)
Kristine... Knowing WAD, but not the play, I can only think the line your searching for is "Pull my finger"....

Oh, J-Dog, knowing me you should have figured that I can find a statement like this at friggin' JSTOR:
Salieri contrasts his discipline with Beethoven's lack of it: Salieri is proud that for 57 years he has been using the same carpet but that Beethoven has worn out one carpet for each symphony. What he fails to mention is that there is passion in Beethoven's music which is lacking in his own. As Mozart describes Salieri's music: "That's the sound of someone who can't get it up."
Amadeus: The Third Part of Peter Shaffer's Dramatic Trilogy. Klein, Dennis A. Modern Language Studies, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 31-38, Winter 1983.

Or can't get it UD, as the case may be.

You think I have a filthy mind? Read Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's letters sometime. You have no idea of the adventures awaiting you in your local library. :p

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2008,22:19   

DLH
This is an ideal example of Intelligent design
rather an example of lacking reading capabilities and/or absence of any comprehension.
From The New Scientist (emphasis added)  
The diversity of life on earth evolved using genetic code made from arrangements of four genetic "bases", sometimes described as letters. They are divided into two pairs, which bond together from opposite strands of a DNA molecule to form the rungs of its characteristic double-helix shape.

Random generation

Frustrated by the slow pace designing and synthesising potential new bases one at a time, Romesberg borrowed some tricks from drug development companies. The resulting large scale experiments generated many potential bases at random, which were then screened to see if they would be treated normally by a polymerase enzyme.

With the help of graduate student Aaron Leconte, the group synthesized and screened 3600 candidates. Two different screening approaches turned up the same pair of molecules, called dSICS and dMMO2.

The molecular pair that worked surprised Romesberg. "We got it and said, 'Wow!' It would have been very difficult to have designed that pair rationally."

"We probably made 15 modifications," says Romesberg, "and 14 made it worse." Sticking a carbon atom attached to three hydrogen atoms onto the side of dSICS, changing it to d5SICS, finally solved the problem.
Obvious signs of design indeed.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2008,23:09   

Obvious signs of design indeed.
I guess DS will claim that this is proof of front loading.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2008,23:58   

Dave commands, "Don't Think About Who Designed the Designer!"    
Permutations of the question “Who designed the designer?” are trite, easily addressed, and if you read the moderation rules you’ll find that comments using this and other trite arguments are deleted. There is not enough data to make any determination of who designed the designer. When and if we can identify the designer of organic life on this planet we might have some data to work with in determining the origin of that agency. Until that situation changes, maybe SETI will give us some data someday, there’s no point in asking the question over and over again.

Here's the point, Dave:  Science says that the life we see surrounding us was produced over a period of several billion years by living organisms evolving through random variation and natural selection.  Living organisms, random variation and natural selection can be observed at work today and they left many traces of their past work.  ID may disagree with their effectiveness, but nobody can deny they exist.

ID says that all the life we observe today was created by an Intelligent Designer who is much much more complex than anything alive today, except that we can't see Him so we have only your word that He's there and ID hasn't got a clue as to how He came to exist.  Furthermore, the only reasons you can give for believing your claim that the Designer exists are your religious beliefs and in the wake of 9/11, religious beliefs carry even less weight than they did on 9/10.

I think banning all thought of how the Designer came to exist was a smart move on your part, assuming that you put avoiding embarassment above finding out how things happened.

PTET

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,01:14   

GilDodgen
01/30/2008
11.15 pm

If, through my influence and the evidence of design, even one person should be liberated from the burden and curse of the nihilism under which I labored for so many years, I will consider my life to have been well-lived.

Holy cow.

--------------
"It’s not worth the effort to prove the obvious. Ridiculous ideas don’t deserve our time.
Even the attempt to formulate ID is a generous accommodation." - ScottAndrews

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,06:49   

GilDodgen
01/30/2008
11.15 pm

If, through my influence and the evidence of design, even one person should be liberated from the burden and curse of the nihilism under which I labored for so many years, I will consider my life to have been well-lived.
Seemingly he failed until now.

--------------

- William Dembski -

Occam's Toothbrush

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,07:02   

Quote (PTET @ Jan. 31 2008,02:14)

GilDodgen
01/30/2008
11.15 pm

Holy cow.

How does evidence that life on earth may have been created by, say, space aliens save Gil or anyone else from nihilism?  Since ID doesn't specify anything about the designer, whatever evidence he's talking about may just as well point to an advanced civilization that seeded Earth with frontloaded bacteria designed to evolve life here into a food source, conveniently situated here for them to dine upon at some future date when they choose to drop back in again.  It doesn't get much more nihilistic than that, does it Gil?

[Edited so I could make a self-referential note that I edited it]

--------------
"Molecular stuff seems to me not to be biology as much as it is a more atomic element of life" --Creo nut Robert Byers
------
"You need your arrogant ass kicked, and I would LOVE to be the guy who does it. Where do you live?" --Anger Management Problem Concern Troll "Kris"

PTET

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,07:33   

Quote (Occam's Toothbrush @ Jan. 31 2008,07:02)
How does evidence that life on earth may have been created by, say, space aliens save Gil or anyone else from nihilism?  Since ID doesn't specify anything about the designer, whatever evidence he's talking about may just as well point to an advanced civilization that seeded Earth with frontloaded bacteria designed to evolve life here into a food source, conveniently situated here for them to dine upon at some future date when they choose to drop back in again.  It doesn't get much more nihilistic than that, does it Gil?

I've only been back blogging a week, and already the biggest thing I've learned is that 99% of ID supporters don't have the first clue what "ID Theory" says and does not say.

Why this surprises me I do not know.

Has Uncommon Descent always been an mondo bizarro as it is at present, or have I come at a "special" time?

--------------
"It’s not worth the effort to prove the obvious. Ridiculous ideas don’t deserve our time.

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,07:47   

Quote (PTET @ Jan. 31 2008,07:33)
Quote (Occam's Toothbrush @ Jan. 31 2008,07:02)

I've only been back blogging a week, and already the biggest thing I've learned is that 99% of ID supporters don't have the first clue what "ID Theory" says and does not say.

Why this surprises me I do not know.

Has Uncommon Descent always been an mondo bizarro as it is at present, or have I come at a "special" time?

PTET some believe that UD is occupied by a silent cabal of sock puppets, covertly subverting the ignorati.  

I dunno.  There is some good shit over there and if one of you guys is making it up, I would love to learn from you O Wise One.

Quotes like Gil's are found everyday, and if it ever came down to it (and if WAD didn't sink the archives) it would be trivially easy to show that damn near every one of the commenters over there is either trolling for kicks or In It For Jesus.  Deleting the trolls and puppets, you have a rather homogenous group of christian conservatives, most describable by 'fundagelical'.  

But it's all about the science though.

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

PTET

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,08:20   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Jan. 31 2008,07:47)
I dunno.  There is some good shit over there and if one of you guys is making it up, I would love to learn from you O Wise One.

That much is obvious. What is brilliant, ofc, is how neither UD nor us can tell which is which...

Deleting the trolls and puppets, you have a rather homogenous group of christian conservatives, most describable by 'fundagelical'.

Indeed. Without the YECers and absurd Hugh-Rossers UD is left with trolls and fruitbats.

And yet newspapers and politicians all over the US give these people an inordinate amount of media time. I guess it sells.

So what next? The ID crowd give up on ID-as-science and make it into a battle about how the entire science of biology is a conspiracy.... The fundagelicals eventually get fed up of never-ending "Great Disappointments" and move on to the next bunch of snake-oil salesmen, I guess...

--------------

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,08:51   

Can somebody explain to me what idnet.com.au wants to say with the post Details Of Nuclear Pore Complex With Spin?

--------------

- William Dembski -

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,09:00   

Quote (PTET @ Jan. 31 2008,08:20)
Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Jan. 31 2008,07:47)

That much is obvious. What is brilliant, ofc, is how neither UD nor us can tell which is which...

Deleting the trolls and puppets, you have a rather homogenous group of christian conservatives, most describable by 'fundagelical'.

Indeed. Without the YECers and absurd Hugh-Rossers UD is left with trolls and fruitbats.

And yet newspapers and politicians all over the US give these people an inordinate amount of media time. I guess it sells.

So what next? The ID crowd give up on ID-as-science and make it into a battle about how the entire science of biology is a conspiracy.... The fundagelicals eventually get fed up of never-ending "Great Disappointments" and move on to the next bunch of snake-oil salesmen, I guess...

Can you imagine what would happen if (pardon the rather insufficient analogy) the IDers were given the keys to the scientific establishment?

I don't think they have considered what might happen if somehow they were to defeat the darwinismus materialismus etc etc.  I can just imagine the silence as they scratched their heads and thought about what to do next.  All the science at their fingertips, what to do next?

I can see that the next step would involve closing the shop up early, followed by a visit to the liquor store, some clumsy groping in an office cubicle and then some quick and uncomfortable mutual sodomy.  Then, off to conquer linguistics!!!  Cookbooks are next!  All Science So Far!!!

and then things would go back to normal.  perhaps we should let them have what they want, like my little boy who is almost 2, if you give him a bauble he doesn't want it anymore and will go play with a box or root around in his diaper.

--------------

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,09:01   

Quote (sparc @ Jan. 31 2008,07:51)
Can somebody explain to me what idnet.com.au wants to say with the post Details Of Nuclear Pore Complex With Spin?

“The nuclear pore is the communication device that the nucleus uses to communicate with the rest of the cell. And if you don’t understand how that works, you don’t understand a key part of how the cell works. You have to see the cell as a machine and understand all of its parts.”

:)

He said, "machine." See? See? A scientist said it! It was a Freudian slip because they're covering all this up! Even they say "machine," just like even Charles Darwin believes in God now because he's in hell...and blah, blah, yakkity-yak.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

PTET

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,09:18   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Jan. 31 2008,09:00)
I don't think they have considered what might happen if somehow they were to defeat the darwinismus materialismus etc etc.  I can just imagine the silence as they scratched their heads and thought about what to do next.  All the science at their fingertips, what to do next?

Apologies for a repost, but this exchange with Dembski says it all. The interviewer gushes about what ID achieved, and Dembski admits he's achieved... Bupkis.

CA: Dr. Dembski, ID has come a very long way since its inception; and ID proponents are making inroads in a vast array of scientific disciplines such as astronomy, biology, and chemistry. How has your own work in mathematics (namely, The Design Inference and No Free Lunch) helped or influenced the development of novel ways of doing science?

WD: It’s too early to tell what the impact of my ideas is on science. To be sure, there has been much talk about my work and many scientists are intrigued (though more are upset and want to destroy it), but so far only a few scientists see how to take these ideas and run with them."

--------------

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,10:09   

He said, "machine."
I see. Being just a reflex explains why the rest of the text didn't arrive in idnet's upper parts of his nervous system. Provided these parts are present I hypothesize that he is carrying some explanatory filter that protects his brain from realizing "evolution" in any text.

--------------

- William Dembski -

||AJ||

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,11:27   

"...maybe SETI will give us some data someday" Gosh..Dembski may not like it if they find his Christian God in NGC 2685...

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,14:55   

Quote (PTET @ Jan. 31 2008,09:18)
Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Jan. 31 2008,09:00)

Apologies for a repost, but this exchange with Dembski says it all. The interviewer gushes about what ID achieved, and Dembski admits he's achieved... Bupkis.

CA: Dr. Dembski, ID has come a very long way since its inception; and ID proponents are making inroads in a vast array of scientific disciplines such as astronomy, biology, and chemistry. How has your own work in mathematics (namely, The Design Inference and No Free Lunch) helped or influenced the development of novel ways of doing science?

WD: It’s too early to tell what the impact of my ideas is on science. To be sure, there has been much talk about my work and many scientists are intrigued (though more are upset and want to destroy it), but so far only a few scientists see how to take these ideas and run with them."

If I were an IDiot, I would want to answer this question.

I believe Solon or Lazarus or Erasmus, one of those queers, posed this question to the ID echo chamber.  They were summarily banned, with no answer.

I have never received an answer yet.

After the darwinismus, then what?

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,15:16   

The PZ Myers debate on fundie radio..

Fun.

http://www.kkms.com/LocalHosts/15/

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,15:34   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....omments

Bwuahahahahahah!

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,15:44   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Jan. 31 2008,15:34)
http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....omments

Bwuahahahahahah!

Ha!  

How long before The Big Banninator Button In The Sky disappears this thread?  

When even the Friends of ID don't have anything good to say about how it is going, it's going good!  

Get 'em Dr. PZ!

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,15:57   

Casey Luskin is going to be busy tonight.

--------------

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,16:03   

I have read both of the crap on paper, or "books," by Simmons.  His latest, "Billions of Missing Links" averaged well over two errors per page, begining on page one.

I missed most of the radio show, but they mentioned that it will be posted as an audio file.

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,16:08   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Jan. 31 2008,16:03)
I have read both of the crap on paper, or "books," by Simmons.  His latest, "Billions of Missing Links" averaged well over two errors per page, begining on page one.

I missed most of the radio show, but they mentioned that it will be posted as an audio file.

Simmons gets reamed. The comments at the Tard mine are making me smile.

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,16:27   

glad to see mynym murmur into the mix.  what a douchebag.  he thinks TOE should be a theory of everything, and since it can't be, it is false.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,16:27   

FtK advocates some Luskining:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-167586

FtK

01/31/2008

5:22 pm
Just a suggestion…

What you guys might want to consider doing is address any of debate topics discussed that might have been perceived as being “won” by PZ.

I think that is something that might be helpful to lurkers who may have listened to the debate and are curious about what additional information Simmons could have brought to the table.

Damage Control! Momma weren't no Monkey!

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,16:29   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Jan. 31 2008,16:27)
glad to see mynym murmur into the mix.  what a douchebag.  he thinks TOE should be a theory of everything, and since it can't be, it is false.

Theory
Of
Everything.

HOMO

:angry:

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,16:35   

wellllll shit.  no wonder mynym is pissed off.  you have co-opted the vernacular term for his favorite pacifier.

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2008,16:39   

so missed the live broadcast, how the feck do i find it?

--------------

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 824 825 826 827 828 [829] 830 831 832 833 834 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]