RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >   
  Topic: DI Caught Lying, Thanks To Detective ERV< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 28 2007,20:53   

It could be a very gay guy who just happens to "uh" just like Dembski, and who I erroneously perceive the same halting word frequency and speaking speed from.

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

someotherguy

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 28 2007,21:14   

Quote (Annyday @ Nov. 28 2007,20:53)
It could be a very gay guy who just happens to "uh" just like Dembski, and who I erroneously perceive the same halting word frequency and speaking speed from.

Does it make me a bad person that I really, really hope that's true?   :D

--------------
Evolander in training

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 28 2007,21:24   

Quote (J-Dog @ Nov. 27 2007,15:35)
I am thinking that Dembski's Seminary, that is currently paying his bills, has finally discovered what a disingenuous little lying sordid prick he is, and will give him his walking papers.

I would be surprised if any sort of place which would hire Dembski considered fraud and dishonesty to be actionable offenses. In fact, if Dembski is holding a position, I just assume the word 'dishonest' is in the position's job description, not too far from 'immature' and 'temper tantrum'.

However, if the idle speculations above are true, and it came out that Dembski was gay, he'd be canned faster than you can say "wide stance".

As an addendum, let me say that none of the gay people I have known and worked with would I smear by associating them with Bill Dembski.

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 28 2007,21:32   

Quote (ERV @ Nov. 28 2007,18:45)
Are you all serious?  It cant be.  It cant.  The animation voice is so stereotypical homosexual male.

It cant be him.

...........Can it?

See?  Thats what I mean.  How did I ever get tenure in Psychiatry when I couldn't spot a homosexual unless they were wearing a dress, or tried to grab my ass?

(Actually, I had a college friend who was sure he wasn't gay because he tried on a dress and wasn't turned on at all.  He was a dance major.  I hope I was never that naive).   :D

Edited by Dr.GH on Nov. 28 2007,19:50

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 28 2007,21:41   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Nov. 28 2007,21:32)
Quote (ERV @ Nov. 28 2007,18:45)
Are you all serious?  It cant be.  It cant.  The animation voice is so stereotypical homosexual male.

It cant be him.

...........Can it?

See?  Thats what I mean.  How did I ever get tenure in Psychiatry when I couldn't spot a homosexual unless they wre wearing a dress, or tried to grab my ass?

(Actually, I had a college friend who was sure he wasn't gay because he tried on a dress and wasn't turned on at all.  He was a dance major.  I hope I was never that naive).   :D

Hey!  Some of my best friends love Broadway Musicals...

So, I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but Demsbksi is NOT gay.  Remember Dembski starring in "The Sweater"?  Please.   No self-respecting gay guy that I know would be caught dead in that old rag.

But isn't there some DI guy coming to Minneapolis soon?  I would be willing to bet a single-malt bottle of scotch, that he stops at the Larry Craig Memorial Stall for some quick Designer action.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 28 2007,22:05   

Dudes, you've all lost your minds on this narration. It doesn't "sound" particularly anything other than amateurish. Nor is it clear to me why "sounding gay" is somehow a pejorative, or is the occasion for all this titillation. Nor (IMHO) does the narrator sound particularly like Dembski, and weaving speculation to that effect out of thin air when he has flatly stated that it wasn't he who narrated the animation strikes me as more than a little out to lunch.

What is the old saw? "Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice?"

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 28 2007,22:18   

Gay-sounding is not necessarily pejorative, but it's a pretty hilarious and often obnoxious (hilariously so) stereotype. Most gay stereotypes are, they're ... gay stereotypes.

I basically agree with the rest, except that I'm not sure stupidity suffices and my ear just disagrees with yours about if it sounds like Dembski. Confirmation bias, maybe, it's true.

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 28 2007,22:22   

I've listened to rather a lot of Dembski's speech, several times in close conversation, and I don't think that the narration was done by Dembski. I'm with RB on this one.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 28 2007,22:53   

I remain an unconvinced heathen. Does anyone have the modified version of the video, instead of the video of the video that's on ERV's blog? I think UD had it up, previously, even though it's down now. I want to look at it.

I'm really quite surprised at how easily available good audio software seems to be compared to the last time I looked two years ago or so.  :D

... and I'll give it a rest if that doesn't work. I have limits to the distance I'll chase a weird theory.

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 29 2007,00:02   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Nov. 28 2007,23:05)
What is the old saw? "Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice?"

In general, I agree. In the case of the Discovery Institue, it might be more like "Never assume malice when stupid malice will suffice."

:p

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 29 2007,01:15   

I thought this was worth reposting here, from the blog of some strange guy:

Hey, it suddenly occurs to me that, on an abstract level, there's something about this pattern that seems like what might be called "the inner life of the cdesign proponentsist." Consider

Statement 1: I found it on the internet.
Statement 2: the Designer did it.

In each case, there's no natural explanation.

Of course there isn't.  The internet didn't evolve, it was designed by designers.  So nothing on there is natural.

Bob
P.S. Methinks it is like a weasel.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 29 2007,04:00   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Nov. 28 2007,22:22)
I've listened to rather a lot of Dembski's speech, several times in close conversation, and I don't think that the narration was done by Dembski. I'm with RB on this one.

When I figured out that Dembski was the voice of the gassy Judge Jones, what tipped me off were the distinct Upper Midwestern vowels of his speeded-up speech.  You don't hear those vowels at all in the video narration.  I think RB and Wes are right -- it's not Dembski.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Altabin

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 01 2007,14:10   

Now that the original video has been found (see here, via ERV), and the narration is clearly audible, I find it a little disappointing, given the brouhaha that it has stirred up.  It sounds like a bland, basically factual, amateurish narrative.  Can anyone point out to me what is specifically creationist about the narrative or editing?

Not a biologist - maybe I missed it.

--------------

72 replies since Nov. 20 2007,14:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]