RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (9) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 >   
  Topic: The thread of liberation, free your mind and the rest will follow< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 27 2007,15:48   

Quote (phonon @ May 27 2007,12:40)
When you have lots and lots of little competitors, some of them will of course lose, and their resources are then absorbed by the winners, who therefore become bigger.  That leaves fewer, but larger, competitors.  The more losers there are, the fewer (and bigger) the winners become.  After a while, you'll be down to just a handful of (very very large) competitors -- and anyone who wants to be a NEW competitor has to be able to cough up the cash to be **just as large**.  And since no bank on this planet is gonna loan Joe Truck Driver the billions of bucks he'd need to compete with Toyota or Microsoft or John Deere or Monsanto or Exxon-Mobil or whoever, the time quickly appears when there simply IS no new competition (other than perhaps a reshuffling of resources from one corporate bigshot to another) -- no one can afford to compete with the Big Boys who dominate each industry.  

The result --- corporate monopoly, in which the entire economy is dominated by a small number of gargantuan mega-sized resource-holders.

quote]
its the result of unethical circumvention of competition through the buying of lawmakers

No, it's the result of winners winning, and losers losing.

I didn't mention "political control" even once.  I didn't need to.  It's not necessary (though of course it helps).

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 27 2007,15:49   

Quote (phonon @ May 27 2007,12:18)
Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 25 2007,18:05)
Quote (phonon @ May 25 2007,17:34)
How many prestigious universities were founded by donations from wealthy "capitalists"? and are named after them?

And, uh, where'd the money come from . . . . ?

From the rubes?

Nope. Try again . . . .

--------------

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: May 28 2007,12:44   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 27 2007,15:44)
Quote (Stephen Elliott @ May 27 2007,12:26)
Lenny,
What would it take to bring about the changes to society that you would like?

Depends on how hard the corporados fight against it.

If the corporados give up their power without a fight, it will take ballots.

If the corporados don't give up their power without a fight, it will take guns.

I don't expect them to give up their power without a fight.

In which case I have not made my question very clear.

How can society ever be equal with the monetary system that is in place right now?

I am not particularly in favour of absolute equality of every citizen in society, but I would like to see a fairer distribution of wealth. IMO this is impossible with a paper or electronic monetary system. For a fair distribution I think that we need either a barter system or paper money linked to something of real value (possibly gold).

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 28 2007,15:43   

Quote (Stephen Elliott @ May 28 2007,12:44)
How can society ever be equal with the monetary system that is in place right now?

It's not the monetary system that matters --- money is just a medium of exchange and has no power over anyone in and of itself.

Change those power relationships, and the monetary medium doesn't mean anything anymore.

So what you are really asking is whether society can "ever be equal" with the POWER RELATIONSHIPS we have now.

And the answer is "no".  Those power relationships are specifically maintained to make them UN-equal.

As for "absolute equality between everyone", I don't know what that phrase means.  So I avoid discussions of it.  Just as I avoid discussions about "pure capitalism" or "pure communism".  I'm not interested in doctrinal purity -- purity is a matter for the church, not for a political and social movement.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 28 2007,15:45   

Quote (phonon @ May 27 2007,12:43)
I'm really anxious to see the new Michael Moore film, Sicko.

Moore, alas, strikes me as just another "limousine liberal" that the Democans seem to attract.

Where was Moore while Bill Clinton was dismantling the welfare safety net and shoving "free trade agreements" down everyone's throat?

--------------

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: May 29 2007,13:55   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 28 2007,15:43)

It's not the monetary system that matters ---

This where I disagree. If the monatery system was different the "way of life" would be diferent.

Example: If a british pound was still linked to be a pound of sterling silver inflation would be negligible.

It would also be far more difficult for someone to earn "millions" by being nothing more usefull than being a "celebrity".

Right now the most important workers in our societies are paid a pittance in comparison to superfluous celebrities, I doubt that this would be possible if we had money that actually was worth something.

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 29 2007,18:38   

Quote (Stephen Elliott @ May 29 2007,13:55)
Example: If a british pound was still linked to be a pound of sterling silver inflation would be negligible.

It would also be far more difficult for someone to earn "millions" by being nothing more usefull than being a "celebrity".

Right now the most important workers in our societies are paid a pittance in comparison to superfluous celebrities, I doubt that this would be possible if we had money that actually was worth something.

Alas, the distribution of wealth hasn't changed much in the past 200 years, no matter WHAT monetary system was being used.

And that is because the power relationships within society have not changed much in the past 200 years.

Changing the monetary system, won't change those power relationships.

--------------

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,14:06   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 27 2007,15:49)
Quote (phonon @ May 27 2007,12:18)
Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 25 2007,18:05)

Quote (phonon @ May 25 2007,17:34)
How many prestigious universities were founded by donations from wealthy "capitalists"? and are named after them?

And, uh, where'd the money come from . . . . ?

From the rubes?

Nope. Try again . . . .

Why don't you just tell me where you think the money came from.

--------------
With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,14:32   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 25 2007,18:21)
Seriously, though, the Soviet economy didn't collapse because it failed -- it collapsed because it succeeded.  It's sole and only focus, throughout its history, was to industrialize as rapidly as possible, since that alone would allow the state to build up sufficient economic (and military) resources to prevent its economy from once again being dominated by foreign economic interests.

Once that industrialization process was completed, there was no longer any useful economic purpose served by the Leninist state, and its demise was inevitable.

Sorry, but this is just not true.

Just read a brief history of 5 year plans and how they really worked well at first, and then, not so much.

Also, the people you say you care about so much, the poor, had to stand in line to get toilet paper and bread, etc.

I know a guy who used to live in one of the Eastern Bloc states and he can remember when all there was on the shelves at the store was vinegar.

But, hey, there was a great depression here too. Some people argue that it was the creation of the Federal Reserve and its ability to artificially grow or shrink the money supply that led to it.

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 27 2007,15:40)

Quote (phonon @ May 27 2007,12:25)
and since the fall of the soviet union, and the institution of more "capitalistic" economic systems, has the standard of living in russia increased or decreased?

For who . . . . ?

By the way, Bangledesh, Haiti, and Chad are capitalist economies, all.

How's their, uh, standard of living . . . . ?

There's more to a thriving economy than what economic system is in place. These places usually have poor political systems, especially Haiti and Chad. I don't think our country had such a great economy during the civil war either.

Haiti is pretty close to Cuba. How's that going?

So you see, there is no magic system. Whether a country and its people are prosperous has much more to do with natural resources, culture, and human relations. But the best way to ensure that the most people have a good life is for them to be able to freely buy and sell and to run their affairs as they see fit.
Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 27 2007,15:44)

Quote (Stephen Elliott @ May 27 2007,12:26)
Lenny,
What would it take to bring about the changes to society that you would like?

Depends on how hard the corporados fight against it.

If the corporados give up their power without a fight, it will take ballots.

If the corporados don't give up their power without a fight, it will take guns.

I don't expect them to give up their power without a fight.

Viva La Revolución!!

--------------
With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,14:59   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 28 2007,15:43)

It's not the monetary system that matters --- money is just a medium of exchange and has no power over anyone in and of itself.

Change those power relationships, and the monetary medium doesn't mean anything anymore.

So what you are really asking is whether society can "ever be equal" with the POWER RELATIONSHIPS we have now.

And the answer is "no".  Those power relationships are specifically maintained to make them UN-equal.

As for "absolute equality between everyone", I don't know what that phrase means.  So I avoid discussions of it.  Just as I avoid discussions about "pure capitalism" or "pure communism".  I'm not interested in doctrinal purity -- purity is a matter for the church, not for a political and social movement.

Sorry, but this too is just plain wrong.

The power relationship is built on the monetary system.

Why did we go to war in the Middle East? We don't import much oil from there. But the dollar stays afloat because of oil. The US is much much richer (well, Wall Street is) because of it. The US monetary system taxes its citizens through the income tax (the institution of which was necessary to institute the Fed because the US govt had to guarantee that it would be able to pay interest to the Fed by a direct taxation on income) and through inflation, which is controlled by interest rates. It also taxes the world through inflation because countries have to maintain dollar reserves if they want to buy oil.

If we replaced Federal Reserve Notes (the green stuff in your wallet) with a fiat currency regulated by Congress, or a decentralized currency system based on a network of competing private banks, all that revenue for (?) dries up and the people could keep their income taxes and the world wouldn't have to pay interest through inflation on their dollar reserves, which they wouldn't have to even keep as much of.

One reason we went to war in the middle east is the oil-backed dollar. Another reason was to jack up oil prices. Saddam was flooding the market with cheap oil. Remember when gas got really cheap there in the late nineties? Oil companies hated that. Now they are making record profits.

If you want to get rid of monopolies, the Federal Reserve is the monopoly at the root of so many other monopolies and the problems that come from them. At least they are problems for everyone except the Fed banks, Wall Street, oil companies, and merc exchanges.

What do you think drives power relationships?

Money.

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 29 2007,18:38)
Alas, the distribution of wealth hasn't changed much in the past 200 years, no matter WHAT monetary system was being used.

And that is because the power relationships within society have not changed much in the past 200 years.

Changing the monetary system, won't change those power relationships.

Again, NOT TRUE.

Let's just leave slavery out of this, though, shall we?

The distribution of wealth has gone up and down throughout US history (and extremely in British history).

Series of booms and busts have enriched and impoverished most of the population, but some folks at the top always seem to come out richer.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,18:16   

Quote (phonon @ May 30 2007,14:06)
Why don't you just tell me where you think the money came from.

"If someone gets a dollar that he didn't work for, that means that someone ELSE worked for a dollar that he didn't get".

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,18:17   

Quote (phonon @ May 30 2007,14:32)
Once that industrialization process was completed, there was no longer any useful economic purpose served by the Leninist state, and its demise was inevitable.[/quote]
Sorry, but this is just not true.

Just read a brief history of 5 year plans and how they really worked well at first, and then, not so much.

Alas, it is true.  And you pointed out why.

The purpose of the five year plans was to industrialize the economy as rapidly as possible.

They did.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,18:21   

Also, the people you say you care about so much, the poor, had to stand in line to get toilet paper and bread, etc.

Well, I'm nto sure why you are expecting me to defend the USSR, since back in the day I not only hated it, but gave what was for me a quite considerable sum of money to a bunch of striking coal miners to help bring it down.

But as I noted before, I'd be willing to bet that poor people would very much prefer standing in line for an hour for a loaf of bread, to not having enough money to buy bread at all.

If you look at the distribution of wealth pre-Soviet collapse and post-Soviet collapse, you'll find something interesting.

And if you look at who had the wealth pre-Soviet collapse and who has it post-Soviet collapse, you'll find something equally interesting . . . .

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,18:22   

But, hey, there was a great depression here too. Some people argue that it was the creation of the Federal Reserve and its ability to artificially grow or shrink the money supply that led to it.

And those people would be wrong, since the Depression was a, uh, global phenomenon.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,18:24   

Quote (phonon @ May 30 2007,14:59)
Sorry, but this too is just plain wrong.

The power relationship is built on the monetary system.

No, it's the other way around.  The monetary system is how they maintain their power.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,18:28   

Just read a brief history of 5 year plans

By the way, I've read lots of 'em.  Even wrote one myself.  You can read it at:

http://www.geocities.com/lflank/counter.html

:)

(I also researched, but never wrote -- beyond a rough draft anyway--, a similar history of China, Cuba and Vietnam.  The basic economic trajectory is the same.)

--------------

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,18:33   

Ahh , power and money.  We could argue for ages about which came first, I prefer to think of it as co-evolution.  

We could, by sheer weight of numbers, pass laws making only, say, 5 levels of pay for people, depending on what jobs they do.  That would bring pay disparities right down, but would hack off a certain section of the population.  If they upped and left, it would be interesting to see what difference it would make.  I think very little, as long as those remaining were interested in keeping things going.  However if this were to be tried, I would expect external action which would try to restore the previous situation.

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,18:40   

But the best way to ensure that the most people have a good life is for them to be able to freely buy and sell and to run their affairs as they see fit.

(looks around at the US distribution of wealth)

Hmm.  Apparently not.

But, as I've already pointed out, that idea of a "free market economy" has already failed.  Miserably enough that every industrialized nation (including the US) rejected it long ago.

For the corporados, a "free market economy" simply means "we can do whatever we want".  And of course, that is also what all the Reaganesque "trickledown" theorists in the Republicrat Party mean by it, too.

Alas, your ideal economy of itty bitty shopkeepers, is dead.  It will never return.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,18:41   

Quote (guthrie @ May 30 2007,18:33)
We could, by sheer weight of numbers, pass laws making only, say, 5 levels of pay for people, depending on what jobs they do.  That would bring pay disparities right down, but would hack off a certain section of the population.  If they upped and left, it would be interesting to see what difference it would make.  I think very little, as long as those remaining were interested in keeping things going.

I once suggested, to my co-workers, a way to see who was more important to the company -- the owners or the workers.  My suggestion was that we let all the owners go home for a month and see how much production output we had.  Then, we let all the workers go home for a month, and see how much production output we had.

I'm pretty sure I can guess the outcome . . . .

;)

This, BTW, is always my response to those who say "Democratize the economy?  Omigod, if we do that, the owners will all LEAVE !!!!!!!!!"  

I say, "Go ahead and leave.  Bye.  We'll get along just fine without you."  (shrug)

--------------

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,18:44   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 30 2007,18:22)

And those people would be wrong, since the Depression was a, uh, global phenomenon.

The economy was global then too.

The Great Depression started in the US after the stock market crash and spread worldwide.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I don't have time right now to answer anymore, I just came here to show an example of the "un-free" markets we have now.

http://www.iht.com/article....Cow.php

got this from crooks and liars.

The Agriculture Department tests fewer than 1 percent of slaughtered cows for the disease, which can be fatal to humans who eat tainted beef. A beef producer in the western state of Kansas, Creekstone Farms Premium Beef, wants to test all of its cows.

Larger meat companies feared that move because, if Creekstone should test its meat and advertised it as safe, they might have to perform the expensive tests on their larger herds as well.

The Agriculture Department regulates the test and argued that widespread testing could lead to a false positive that would harm the meat industry.

A federal judge ruled in March that such tests must be allowed. U.S. District Judge James Robertson noted that Creekstone sought to use the same test the government relies on and said the government didn't have the authority to restrict it. - A federal judge ruled in March that such tests must be allowed. The ruling was scheduled to take effect June 1, but the Agriculture Department said Tuesday it would appeal, effectively delaying the testing until the court challenge has played out.
Can you believe that crap? A small company wants to test its cows for BSE so that it can tell its customers that the beef has been tested and is safe. The government is like anti-regulating here, and telling the company that it can't test for the disease because it'll hurt the big beef companies. WTF? Obviously someone had a scotch, a cigar, and a conversation with someone at the USDA.

An amazing country we live in.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,18:46   

Quote (phonon @ May 30 2007,18:44)
Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ May 30 2007,18:22)
Some people argue that it was the creation of the Federal Reserve and its ability to artificially grow or shrink the money supply that led to it.

The economy was global then too.

But the Federal Reserve wasn't.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,18:59   

Quote (phonon @ May 30 2007,18:44)
Can you believe that crap? A small company wants to test its cows for BSE so that it can tell its customers that the beef has been tested and is safe. The government is like anti-regulating here, and telling the company that it can't test for the disease because it'll hurt the big beef companies. WTF? Obviously someone had a scotch, a cigar, and a conversation with someone at the USDA.

An amazing country we live in.

Indeed.  Sort of like, ya know, the USDA giving money to huge agribusinesses to NOT grow food or milk, in order to keep the supply small and thus artificially drive the prices up so corporate profits don't go down.  "Price supports", they call it.  

Like I said before, if the purpose of an economic system is to, ya know, feed people, then I can only conclude that any economic system that actually pays food producers to NOT feed people (in a world where thousands of people die every day of hunger, no less) is, uh, not only a dismal failure, but a criminalfailure.  It's continued existence should not be tolerated by any civilized society.

I'm not sure, though, why you want to lecture *me*, of all people, about the evils of the corporados. . . . ?

Indeed, as I pointed out before, it's economic competition between small shopkeepers, that PRODUCES corporados.

I said it before; I'll say it again ---- the economy of small independent producers, a la Adam Smithian shopkeepers, is dead.  Dead, dead, dead.  It will never appear again.  And if it does, it will lead inexorably back to where we are right now.  It is the very logic of capitalism.  As long as there is competition, there will be winners and losers.  As long as there are more and more losers, there will be a smaller and smaller number of winners, who therefore continuously get bigger and bigger.

Guess where that leads.

The only way to prevent it is to make sure that no business ever fails (no losers), and no business ever grows (no winners).  Which, uh, doesn't sound like much of a "free market" to me . . . .

--------------

skeptic

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,19:11   

and if there are no winners and losers then no one will ever excel, there will be no new innovation and there will be very little motivation.  Ask the cheetah if there are no winners and losers, ask the gazelle.  what you are talking about is not only unrealistic but unnatural and it would lead to the same thing for us as for the cheetah: extinction.

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,19:14   

Ask the cheetah if there are no winners and losers, ask the gazelle.

you'll have to find Dr. Doolittle first, though.

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,19:22   

Quote (skeptic @ May 30 2007,19:11)
and if there are no winners and losers then no one will ever excel, there will be no new innovation and there will be very little motivation.  Ask the cheetah if there are no winners and losers, ask the gazelle.  what you are talking about is not only unrealistic but unnatural and it would lead to the same thing for us as for the cheetah: extinction.

Says you.  (shrug)

BTW, moron, cheetahs and gazelles don't, uh, have economic systems.

And I'd sure like to know how much money the inventor of the wheel got for his innovation, and what motivated him.

Or the inventor of pottery.

Or bronze-casting.

Or the stone axe.

Or writing.

Or the bow.

Or textiles.

Or tanned leather.

Or stone buildings.

Or paved streets.

Or . . . . . .

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,20:08   

By the way, Skeptic -- didja know that Jeebus wants you to be an, uh, "unnatural" commie, just like the early church members were?

Acts.2
[44] And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
[45] And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.

Acts.4
[32] And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

[34] Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
[35] And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

"From each according to ability; to each according to need".

Ring any bells for you, Skeptic . . . . . . . ?

(snicker)

--------------

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,21:17   

ya know, I first looked at this thread because i thought it said:

The thread of libation.

I thought Lenny was going to share his Viking Piss ™ recipe.

oh well.

this has been fun to watch, too.

--------------

-CC

skeptic

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,22:01   

Lenny, are you telling me I should literally interpret the Bible?

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,22:10   

not at all.

why should you do that, when you can project your intuition onto your own personal interpretation, just like you do with everything else?

--------------

-CC

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2007,22:41   

Quote (skeptic @ May 30 2007,22:01)
Lenny, are you telling me I should literally interpret the Bible?

Of course not.  I'm definitely NOT telling you to literally become a disciple of the early Christian church.  

Especially since they were all commies.

(snicker)

But hey -- YOU were the one who told me my views are "unnatural".  I can only assume that must mean my views are therefore SUPER-natural.  I.e., I am God.

Alas, though, I must decline the honor. I have no desire whatever to be God. After all, if I were to LEAD people, I could also MIS-LEAD them.  So I very much prefer for people to lead THEMSELVES. Together.

--------------

249 replies since May 03 2007,18:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (9) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]