RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (117) < ... 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 ... >   
  Topic: Telic Thoughts Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
keiths

(Permalink) Posted: May 30 2010,23:28   

Tardmeister Bradford gets some well-deserved recognition from Jeffrey Shallit:
Bradford, one of the more dense commentators there [at TT], quotes a famous passage of Leibniz...

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: May 31 2010,07:13   

Sal, 35 to 40% of Christians polled don't have a problem with evolutionary science, and thus likely no issue with the door you (badly) photographed.

I rather enjoyed the New York Times article on the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and I certainly got a laugh out of the Doonesbury strip. About the Doonesbury strip... it doesn't mention "Christians" in any generic sense, so if you feel targeted, it must be on some other basis.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 03 2010,10:24   

That "ID Guy" sure links to Joe G's blog a lot...

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

KCdgw

(Permalink) Posted: June 03 2010,13:33   

Pwnage.

ID Guy/Joe:

KC- did you go to work or are you reading the book looking for "simultaneous mutations"?
I looked and can't find it.

ID Guy should check out page 109 (my emphasis):

In order to go straight from regular hemoglobin to C-Harlem, the right mutations would have to show up simultaneously in positions 6 and 73 of the beta chain of hemoglobin. Why is that so hard? Switching those two amino acids at the same time would be very difficult for teh same reason that developing resistance to cocktail drugs is difficult for malaria– teh odds aghainst getting two needed steps at once are the multiple of th eodds for each step haeppening on its own.

--------------
Those who know the truth are not equal to those who love it-- Confucius

KCdgw

(Permalink) Posted: June 03 2010,13:33   

Quote (Richardthughes @ June 03 2010,10:24)
That "ID Guy" sure links to Joe G's blog a lot...

BFF's.

--------------

KCdgw

(Permalink) Posted: June 03 2010,16:28   

Be respectful.
Richard has just been diagnosed with terminal scientism.

Dr. Chunk has the cure.

Ewww.....

--------------

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: June 03 2010,17:57   

Behe's argument has at least more straw man. The assumption that structures that exist must exist, and their improbability is proof of design. Joe won  Powerball; therefore, the game was rigged.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: June 03 2010,18:42   

Too funny:
Joe, I can see your cards. You just wat to flail against evolutionary theory without offering anything in return.

Well, except for this:

http://intelligentreasoning.blogspot.com/2009....ed.html

Comment by Richardthughes — June 3, 2010 @ 10:17 am

And BTW if you think that is my blog then you are lying.

There is much more positive evidence for ID there than what you linked to.

Comment by ID guy — June 3, 2010 @ 10:44 am

Hey, "ID guy" – you're not Joe G, then.  

Comment by Richardthughes — June 3, 2010 @ 11:14 am

You are correct. It ain't my blog.

Comment by ID guy — June 3, 2010 @ 11:35 am

Hey Richtard,

It's by design.

And if you would like to meet the both of us- Joe G and Jim H- I think something can be arranged.  

Comment by ID guy — June 3, 2010 @ 11:36 am

Sure – what are the visiting hours at your institution?

Funny how you both use exactly the same phrases and writing style..

Comment by Richardthughes — June 3, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

Rich,

I am sorry to hear that you don't have any really close friends that you can collaborate with.

Comment by ID guy — June 3, 2010 @ 4:40 pm

Not 'share the same body' close..

Comment by Richardthughes — June 3, 2010 @ 4:42 pm

We don't share the same body- I am 5'10" and Joe is at least 6'. I am sure I outweigh him too.

And we don't even live in the same city.

Comment by ID guy — June 3, 2010 @ 4:46 pm

I shave my head and Joe is still holding out hope, I guess.

I have green eyes and Joe's are brown.

You will see all of this when we meet…

Comment by ID guy — June 3, 2010 @ 4:50 pm

How did you two meet, ID Guy?

Comment by Richardthughes — June 3, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

I wonder if "Jim H." is a Muslim like Joe.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: June 03 2010,21:33   

Be careful Richard.  Joe and ID Guy might invite you to join their Fight Club.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: June 04 2010,06:21   

Quote (Texas Teach @ June 03 2010,16:33)
Be careful Richard.  Joe and ID Guy might invite you to join their Fight Club.

I am sure a frisbee was involved, and a few other things I won't get into.

Yes, Rich, stay safe; frisbees can be dangerous in the wrong hands!

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 06 2010,23:33   

I'm helping Bradford tesitfy now.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 07 2010,12:04   

I think I just had my first comment deleted, from an "open thread". I was told the memory hole was malfunctioning...

--------------

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: June 07 2010,12:20   

Quote (Richardthughes @ June 07 2010,12:04)
I think I just had my first comment deleted, from an "open thread". I was told the memory hole was malfunctioning...

I think they meant to say their "brain stem was malfunctioning".  I am sure that you'll get that correction shortly.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 07 2010,14:22   

Bradford is using bad words and may expell! me. Get Kevin Miller ready.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 07 2010,14:39   

Think I'm banned?

Hey Bradford, are you deleting my posts?

again - using Becks 'mode of inquiry' against him is deliciously ironic. He does it all the time. Turnabout is fair play.

<blockquote>I see nothing but trollish comments.</blockquote>

Oh, so NOW you know teh mind of the designer.

<blockquote>You're playing to an audience.
</blockquote>

This a Blog, Bradford. It has an audience. Grow up - or move to a double top secret listserv.

I've got a thread for you if you can ever handle open dialogue. Apparently 'the swamp' has freedoms you don't permit.

been fun talking with the rest of you.

Didn't go through.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 07 2010,14:59   

And now he's banned me, he's continuing to argue with me. I bet I wont be able to answer his clever prose!

--------------

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: June 07 2010,16:02   

Quote (Richardthughes @ June 07 2010,14:59)
And now he's banned me, he's continuing to argue with me. I bet I wont be able to answer his clever prose!

...and by "clever" you mean "Wright-worthy"?

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

RDK

(Permalink) Posted: June 07 2010,18:25   

Quote (dogdidit @ May 21 2010,08:48)
Edit: okay, so I don't really understand what a "Poe" is. But Joe's exchange with olegt, wherein he inadvertantly reveals his not-so-hidden identity as "ID guy", was priceless. So I'll leave the linky.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe%27s_Law

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Poe%27s+Law

Joe the Hoe Poe.  Has a nice ring to it!

--------------
If you are not:
Leviathan
please Logout under Meta in the sidebar.

‘‘I was like ‘Oh my God! It’s Jesus on a banana!’’  - Lisa Swinton, Jesus-eating pagan

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: June 07 2010,19:46   

I forget exactly why, but I came up with the graphic below on 2005/05/07... just exported it from CorelDraw this evening.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

JAM

(Permalink) Posted: June 07 2010,21:45   

I tried to post this abstract, but it was removed by moderation:

Cell. 1985 Dec;43(3 Pt 2):811-9.
High frequency germline acquisition of ecotropic MuLV proviruses in SWR/J-RF/J hybrid mice.
Jenkins NA, Copeland NG.
RF/J mice carry three endogenous ecotropic murine leukemia proviruses designated Emv-1, Emv-16, and Emv-17. Two of these proviruses, Emv-16 and Emv-17, are tightly linked and segregate with the high viremia phenotype in backcrossed mice. During the derivation of an SWR/J strain congenic for Emv-16 and Emv-17, we found that many of the progeny derived from female virus carriers acquired new germline ecotropic proviruses. Additional genetic crosses suggested that these proviruses are acquired early in development by virus infection and that this strain combination is particularly susceptible to these events. The frequency of proviral acquisition was only about 10-fold lower than the frequency of P element acquisition in dysgenic crosses of Drosophila melanogaster. Since virus integration in these hybrids occurs at many different sites, these types of hybrids may ultimately be useful for generating virally induced mutations that are amenable to study at the molecular level.

No science allowed! What cowards.

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: June 08 2010,01:41   

Quote (Richardthughes @ June 07 2010,09:59)

So what did this experience teach you, young Jedi? Did you find out anything new about ID, front loading or communication?

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 08 2010,08:08   

Quote (Alan Fox @ June 08 2010,01:41)

So what did this experience teach you, young Jedi? Did you find out anything new about ID, front loading or communication?

Don't diss Glenn Beck using his own words infront of his wingnut fanbase. I think that was the lesson.

--------------

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: June 09 2010,17:38   

chunkdz unfortunately links to the Annual Review of Biophysics he appears to be mocking . Here's how he sums it up:

Problem 4) Cellular replication
Solution: Montmorillonite clay. It catalyzes the formation of fatty acid vesicles. Using fatty acids from meteorites, the vesicles can capture self replicating RNA molecules and give them a safe place to grow. Then they can grow, capture amino acids and fatty acids from the environment, and if they grow in a solution of highly charged molecules the bubble will become a long skinny bubble, and if agitated it will break into two or more bubbles. Replication.

Of course, there are still a few unanswered questions.

What the article actually says about montmorillonite clay:

In an intriguing example of prebiotic convergence, a variety of minerals including montmorillonite, the clay that catalyzes polymerization of nucleotides into RNA, also catalyze the formation of fatty acid vesicles (26, 27). Clay particles bearing adsorbed RNA oligomers can become encapsulated within fatty acid vesicles that they have helped to assemble.

chunkdz goes on:

Once in sufficient concentrations after a few freezing cycles and subsequent grinding, chunks of montmorillonite clay were scooped into fatty bubbles where they began to polymerize in the relative safety of their protective bubble of fat.

Yeah, funny thing is that even what you've said right there is totally plausible even when not compared to what we know about how the "intelligent designer did his something somewhere sometime".

When you can write a blog post that long about ID and what it is and what it's discovered then perhaps you can crow then. Ever stop and think about how come the only thing you ever seem to talk about is "Darwinism" over there? Or how OOL researchers are getting it all wrong? Not about what ID is getting right....

So it looks like ID guy is your star scientist.....

Expanding Roles for Diverse Physical Phenomena During the Origin of Life

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: June 09 2010,20:50   

Quote (Alan Fox @ June 08 2010,01:41)

So what did this experience teach you, young Jedi? Did you find out anything new about ID, front loading or excommunication?

Fixed that for you.

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 10 2010,00:13   

Pwnage:

http://telicthoughts.com/the-cur....-259486

Nick Matzke Says:

June 10th, 2010 at 12:00 am Gee, there's just no way nature could produce fresh water of pH 6.5, drying and re-wetting pools, hot vents, hot polyphosphate-producing rocks, clay, and various small organic molecules in close proximity to each other. I mean, snow/ice near a volcanic feature with daily and seasonal variations in temperature and snow melting rates is just ludicrous. It's much more likely a divine miracle was required.

Comment by Nick Matzke — June 10, 2010 @ 12:00 am

--------------

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: June 10 2010,06:49   

Since Bilbo has been working on the fix to the edit feature, all our comments are disappearing into the ozone.

Nick Matzke: Gee, there's just no way nature could produce fresh water ...

It's preposterous to imagine that zillions of water molecules in the ocean would just separate from the salts and other contaminates and collect in purified form in, what?, little basins, for the convenience of the experimenters. The chance of such an occurrence (92^zillions) is far beyond the universal probability bound. Certainly, a complex, intelligently designed mechanism must have been involved.

Bradford: Greece is empirical evidence for dysfunctional effects of bloated public sectors.

The reality of the evidence is that Greek government spending has been in line with other industrialized nations. The problem has been that their tax base has been too small because a large part of the domestic economy is off the books, the previous government hid the ballooning deficit from the public with the help of U.S. investment bankers crippling accountability, and the economic downturn, of course.  

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 10 2010,12:33   

Chunkdz projects:

http://telicthoughts.com/the-cur....-259505

...But since you don't seem very interested in learning what a leading researcher has to say about abiogenesis, and because you seem more interested in preaching your message of anti-creationist bigotry, perhaps your missive would be better received among your vulgar PT peers. Feel free to take your bigotted vendetta with you when you leave.

Perhaps you could treat your followers to another blog post about the dangers of Kirk Cameron? That seems more your speed. Or better yet, won't your foul mouthed minions be impressed when you blog about disgraced creationist Ted Haggard! I hear he's opening a new church in Colorado. That should start a real frenzy of poo-flinging!

Comment by chunkdz — June 10, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

--------------

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: June 10 2010,12:39   

Quote (Zachriel @ June 10 2010,04:49)

Zach,

any idea why it's Canada with a *?

Thanks,

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: June 10 2010,13:40   

Quote (fnxtr @ June 10 2010,12:39)

Quote (Zachriel @ June 10 2010,04:49)

Zach,

any idea why it's Canada with a *?

Thanks,

* Means incomplete data.

Meant to link the report.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2009/10/pdf/oecd_spending.pdf

-
Hattip to Matthew Yglesias.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: June 10 2010,13:45   

Thought it might indicate steroid use.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

3497 replies since Sep. 22 2007,13:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (117) < ... 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]