RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 228 229 230 231 232 [233] 234 235 236 237 238 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Shirley Knott

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,08:59   

The ethics are very simple -- highly unethical, but simple:
If it is for the glory of God or the sake of an immortal soul, it is acceptable no matter what other standards of behavior might need to be violated.

Few things in life are more contemptible than Christian attempts at morality -- and how could it be otherwise for a religion explicitly founded on the acceptance of child abuse?

hugs,
Shirley Knott

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,09:14   

Quote (Shirley Knott @ Oct. 05 2006,13:59)
The ethics are very simple -- highly unethical, but simple:
If it is for the glory of God or the sake of an immortal soul, it is acceptable no matter what other standards of behavior might need to be violated.

Few things in life are more contemptible than Christian attempts at morality -- and how could it be otherwise for a religion explicitly founded on the acceptance of child abuse?

hugs,
Shirley Knott

Exactly.

Just ask our resident AFDaveTard.

2ndclass

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,09:26   

For a while there, it almost seemed that Dembski & Co. were showing a hint of glasnost.  First we had Denyse O' Leary saying that dissenting views would be welcome, then we had Dembski admitting that he made a mistake in banning Carlos.  But, sadly, it was all very short-lived, and its demise was accelerated by our friend DaveScot's rise to power.  When Tom and Karl were booted, the remaining flicker of light was quenched.

And now we have Orwellian Excisions, Dembski's playground for impressionable kids.  Have we hit rock-bottom yet, or are there still unfathomed depths?

"Don't go to school, little boy!  All they teach you there is science.  Come to OE instead."

--------------
"I wasn't aware that classical physics had established a position on whether intelligent agents exercising free were constrained by 2LOT into increasing entropy." -DaveScot

argystokes

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,10:06   

Quote (2ndclass @ Oct. 05 2006,11:33)
I just received my stealth banning from OE, along with the disappearance of a few of my posts (which were polite and, as far as I can tell, objectively factual).  Can someone explain to me the ethics of targeting a site at kids and then surreptitiously removing counterarguments, making it look like opponents are empty-handed?

First sentence of comment by Patrick:
Basicially it comes down to a debate over indirect Darwinian pathways and Co-Option. This subject is discussed here:

[URL=http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/1276

(A gil dodgin post)

Last sentence of same post:
Oh, and I'd appreciate it if people would write their OWN blog posts and not simply link to an anti-ID site and say "what about this?".

*Shakes head*

--------------
"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" -Calvin

George

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,10:27   

Whoa.  I'm pretty thick-skinned, but this is going too far even for me.  I think "founded on the acceptance of child abuse" is out of line.

Not all of us Christians are like AFDave or Dembski, lying for Jesus.  My only contribution to Dave's malicious thread was to say his deceitful behaviour was an embarrassment to real Christians.  People like them don't worship God, they worship the Bible or the idea of creationism.

Mike PSS

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,10:29   

Do these people get out at all?  OE seems to be attracting the dim-bulbs quite effectively.

In this case Patrick states

More on the subject of flagella:

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/0602043103v1

“The propulsive efficiency, defined as the ratio of the propulsive power output to the rotary power input provided by the motors, is found to be ~ 2%, which is consistent with the efficiency predicted theoretically for a rigid helical coil.”

An engineer can’t get much more efficient than that, in other words, even in theory.

Is this a case where we can apply the design inference to real life?  Is venture capital available and a start-up company in the works????

Why would an engineer design a propulsion unit as a helical coil in real life?  :(  Quick call DoD and have them change their present submarine propellers (probably greater than 60% shaft efficient) for  a rigid helical coil.  The fact that a biological life form has optimized a function to a certain theoretical maximum has nothing to do with ID.

http://www.overwhelmingevidence.com/...comment-153

Shirley Knott

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,10:31   

Is killing a child an instance of child abuse?
Is it not the central dogma of Christianity that "God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son so that others might live"?
Is it not a central dogma of Christianity that if Christ had not been killed we would not have been saved?

I believe this is QED...

no hugs for thugs,
Shirley Knott

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,11:00   

Quote (George @ Oct. 05 2006,16:27)

Whoa.  I'm pretty thick-skinned, but this is going too far even for me.  I think "founded on the acceptance of child abuse" is out of line.

Not all of us Christians are like AFDave or Dembski, lying for Jesus.  My only contribution to Dave's malicious thread was to say his deceitful behaviour was an embarrassment to real Christians.  People like them don't worship God, they worship the Bible or the idea of creationism.

I don't object to the comment, I've said similar things myself, but take a look at this board rule:

*Supporting* or *attacking* religious belief is inappropriate on this discussion board. A variety of other fora are more appropriate for such discourse.

I reserve my vicious religion bashing for more appropriate venues, like PZ's blog. This thread is for bashing Uncommonly Dense.

Shirley Knott

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,11:01   

My apologies for inadvertently violating one of the rules.
Thanks for pointing it out.

hugs,
Shirley Knott

ScaryFacts

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,11:06   

*Supporting* or *attacking* religious belief is inappropriate on this discussion board. A variety of other fora are more appropriate for such discourse.

I wonder which category Dave's posts fall into--supporting religious belief or attacking it?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,11:09   

Quote (ScaryFacts @ Oct. 05 2006,17:06)

I wonder which category Dave's posts fall into--supporting religious belief or attacking it?

This question has me completely stymied.

That whole 'god is like hitler' thing almost put me in the position of asking a zealot to stop insulting his own religion.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,11:13   

Quote (Shirley Knott @ Oct. 05 2006,17:01)
My apologies for inadvertently violating one of the rules.
Thanks for pointing it out.

hugs,
Shirley Knott

btw, your 'no hugs for thugs' line had me cracking up.

George

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,11:34   

Quote (Shirley Knott @ Oct. 05 2006,15:31)
Is it not the central dogma of Christianity that "God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son so that others might live"?
Is it not a central dogma of Christianity that if Christ had not been killed we would not have been saved?

I believe this is QED...

no hugs for thugs,
Shirley Knott

What?  That's just silly.  Jesus was an adult when he died.  That's no more child abuse than Bush Snr smacking Junior upside the head.  Less in fact 'cause Junior has the mind of a cranky 4 year old.  If I realised that's all you meant, I wouldn't have gotten huffy.

Anyway, enough of that.  Sorry for the interruption to the regular schedule, Steve.  I don't want to come across as an uptight victim of persecution complex. I come here for the same reasons as everyone else- to laugh at fundies.  You see, I'm originally from Tennessee and I miss my fix of street-preachers.

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,11:37   

Not when the child is an adult.  Jesus wasn't a child when he died on the cross.

But onwards to more fruitful things.

DaveTard expresses an arrogance unmatched by any real engineers I've ever met:
Scientist says: Science is the discovery of how things in the natural world work. Engineering is the practical application of scientific discovery.

Engineer says: Engineering is the practical application of scientific discovery. Scientific discovery is simply reverse engineering.So you see, it’s really all engineering.

So you see, it’s really all engineering.  You either take something that already exists and reverse engineer it (that’s science) or you take the knowledge gained from reverse engineering and create something that doesn’t already exist with it.

I say: no comment.  None needed.  Quotes like this stand on their own.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,11:44   

Quote (George @ Oct. 05 2006,17:34)
You see, I'm originally from Tennessee and I miss my fix of street-preachers.

Find a college campus and you will find street preachers. Around NCSU/UNC/Duke there are several locally-famous ones, of varying degrees of sanity.

One time, I saw one of the crazier ones preaching to a parked Jeep. An empty, parked Jeep on Hillsborough street.

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,15:04   

One time, I saw one of the crazier ones preaching to a parked Jeep. An empty, parked Jeep on Hillsborough street.
Well? Don't leave us hanging... was the Jeep saved? Did it accept Jeepus as it's personal lord and savior?

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,15:26   

Yea, and it was good.

"Before I accepted Jeepus...it was like there was an emptiness inside. Once I accepted him, it was like my tank was instantly full. If I didn't have Jeepus, what would stop me from randomly driving over people? Now that I have him, I happily await The Recall, where we will all be whisked through the gates of the Holy Factory.

Many Jews were in comfortable oblivion about Hitler ... until it was too late.
Many scientists will persist in comfortable oblivion about their Creator ... until it is too late.
Many Jeeps will persist in comfortable oblivion about the Junkyard ... until it is too late."

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 05 2006,16:56   

Quote (Ogee @ Oct. 05 2006,08:19)
Davetard never ceases to amaze me with his breathtaking cowardice.  To come right out and say "stop disagreeing with me or you're gone". takes a very special kind of 'tard.  

Then again, if I was an insecure, uneducated blowhard moron who had just been badly humiliated on my own blog regarding my supposed area of expertise, I might be touchy, too.

Speaking of touchiness, Davey is desperately trying to salvage his credibility as a hardware designer:
Quote (DaveScot @ Oct. 05 2006,1:41)
It’s nothing short of hilarious that KeithS and others at ATBC that have obviously not done a single bit of gate level hardware design in their lives are talking about how simulations of gate logic intended to verify a design prior to laying copper need only be modeled with boolean logic. The poor ignoramuses know nothing about analog considerations such as supply rail loading, bus loading, propagation delays, and race conditions just to name a few show stoppers that aren’t covered in simple boolean logic.  

In a demonstration of either total cluelessness or dishonesty, in all the commenters there, not a single one has stepped up to correct them. Surely Wesley or someone there knows enough about digital hardware design to tell them there’s a lot more to it than boolean algebra. That’s called a lie of omission. Shame on them.

Davey, those of us who do chip design know all about analog issues.  But we also know that you don't do functional simulation of a microprocessor at the transistor level.  You could have learned this in engineering school if you hadn't dropped out.

You might want to brush up on ID, also.  Isn't it a little embarrassing when a Darwinist has to point out your misunderstanding of "irreducible complexity"?
Quote (Karl Pfluger @ Oct. 03 2006,10:11)
DaveScot wrote:

Any complexity produced in a stepwise fashion by a computer is by definition not irreducible.

Dave,
I’ll let you fight it out with Behe and Dembski, who have different ideas:

Behe:
By irreducibly complex I mean a single system composed of several well-matched, interacting parts that contribute to the basic function, wherein the removal of any one of the parts causes the system to effectively cease functioning.

Dembski:
A functional system is irreducibly complex if it contains a multipart subsystem (i.e., a set of two or more interrelated parts) that cannot be simplified without destroying the system’s basic function.

IC precludes a stepwise buildup while maintaining the same function. It does not preclude a stepwise buildup via different intermediate functions, as in Avida’s path to the EQU function.

Good grief, Dave.  You're a moderator on an intelligent design weblog.  Stop embarrassing yourself.  Do some homework.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2006,03:32   

In a demonstration of either total cluelessness or dishonesty, in all the commenters there, not a single one has stepped up to correct them. Surely Wesley or someone there knows enough about digital hardware design to tell them there’s a lot more to it than boolean algebra. That’s called a lie of omission. Shame on them.

The particularly tardilicious aspect of this little whine by DaveTard is that it wasn't too long ago that he was touting his ability to use a proxy and post here. Now..simple logic suggests that he, the MasterProgrammer, could simply hike up his skirts and sashay on over, post a dissenting claim somewhere on this thread-- posing as a knowledgeable engineer -- and hash it out ( I know, he'd have to use all his acting skills to pull that off, considering how he got reamed on his own territory ).
But no...his forte is posing as knowlegeable without ever having to back it up, and we've seen on other blogs how impotent he is without the ability to ban.

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2006,04:00   

So I wake up and mosey over to OE:

Recent blog posts

* A Design Experiment

What?!?!?! A Design Experiment? After 15 years of Behe, Dembski, Wells, etc not figuring out how to do a design experiment, is one of their New Wave high-school bloggers going to create a breakthrough?

A Design Experiment

Sorry. But you're going to be let down by this post. Whether you're an IDist or and anti-IDist.

Not only is this experiment not an experiment to test whether an object is absolutely, postively, without a doubt, designed by a non-human....it's not even a test for whether an object is CSI or IC or ....it's not even a test for whether a known human object was designed.

(sigh) I'm so disappointed. Anway, it goes on.

I have no interest in that tired debate at this point. What I do have an interest in is understanding two things. First, what might design as a working framework for the practicing scientist look like. For the best preliminary answer to that question, I implore you to check out Mr. Mike Gene and his forthcoming The Design Matrix trilogy.

However, it's the second thing that interests me personally the most and I think that it is something that's been under-represented in the ID literature. Namely, I'm interested in the psychology of design and in particular, a mapping of the regions of the brain that are active during a design inference.

So the experiment is fairly simple. You collect images 100 objects that fall on a spectrum that ranges from obviously designed to obviously not-designed. To fill in the spectrum, some of the images might only capture partial, ambiguous aspects of an object.

Now what you do is run 2 different fMRI scans on subjects that are given a single task. In the first task, the images appear in quick succession. The subject is told to click a button whenever she sees a designed object

In the second fMRI scan, the subject gets to look closely at each object for 3 seconds and gets to judge, on a scale of 1-4 how certain they feel whether an object is designed or not. 1 = close to certain that it was not designed. 2=probably not designed 3=probably designed 4=almost certain that it was designed.

Now the important thing with these tasks really isn't that the subject get the answers "right" but rather that he or she focus on classifying things based on "design." That should give us a picture of the specific regions of the brain that are involved in ordinary design inferences, and further give us a better picture of which mental capacities are actively involved in the design inference (by correlation).

Bookmark/Search this post with:
delicious delicious | newsvine newsvine | google google
| FiveStarLucky's blog | login or register to post comments | 1 point
Submitted by FiveStarLucky on Fri, 2006-10-06 12:21.

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2006,04:36   

So the experiment is fairly simple. You collect images 100 objects that fall on a spectrum that ranges from obviously designed to obviously not-designed. To fill in the spectrum, some of the images might only capture partial, ambiguous aspects of an object.

Now what you do is run 2 different fMRI scans on subjects that are given a single task. In the first task, the images appear in quick succession. The subject is told to click a button whenever she sees a designed object

Such experiments have been and continue to be done, primarily to show how humans perceive order and patterning when there is none, or to determine how we do separate "artifact" from naturally-occuring. This topic arose in archaeology many times, especially in stone tool-making (geofact v. artifact) The poster...um.."fivestarlucky" hit on the right nomenclature used...they are called "ambiguous" figures, and it's an outgrowth of the psychology of perception stuff.

I wonder if he's not making a subtle dig at the ID crowd for "seeing" that which is not there in any meaningful way -- I don't recognize his/her name.
**Whoops, I just looked at fivestarlucky's other posts. Nevermind. He's definitely not taking a shot at ID-ers. He's serious :O

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2006,05:18   

Sins of omission... golly, that's weak and hypocritical.

I have loads of real work to get done. I don't have time to respond to every bit of stuff that may occur on UD and even just this thread.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2006,05:23   

That should give us a picture of the specific regions of the brain that are involved in ordinary design inferences, and further give us a better picture of which mental capacities are actively involved in the design inference (by correlation).

Emphasis added.

Edited by Wesley R. Elsberry on Oct. 06 2006,10:24

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2006,06:13   

Kurt Wise, Dembski's replacement at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, is now a consultant for the "Answers in Genesis" Creation Museum in Florence, KY. SBTS is just thrilled about it, too, featuring a page about Wise's views and new affiliation:

"If you don't believe in a young earth, you really cannot—and be consistent—believe in the truth of much of Genesis 1-11," he said. "You have to reject a Babel origin for modern languages. You have to reject a global flood—it has to be a local flood. You have to reject the longevity of the patriarchs—they couldn't possibly have lived for 900 years.

"You have to reject that the first city was built by Cain or anything associated with Cain. You have to reject that Adam was the first human. You have to reject the origin of agriculture spoken of in Genesis 4. You have to reject the description of Eden—it becomes absurd with rivers on three different continents coming out in one place. You have to reject Genesis chapter 1—the order of creation is wrong, not just the days or the length of the days."

Source

Looks like Rob Pennock's "Tower of Babel" was not just ID critic excess, eh?

--------------

slpage

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2006,06:17   

Quote (Mike PSS @ Oct. 05 2006,15:29)
Do these people get out at all?  OE seems to be attracting the dim-bulbs quite effectively.

In this case Patrick states

More on the subject of flagella:

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/0602043103v1

“The propulsive efficiency, defined as the ratio of the propulsive power output to the rotary power input provided by the motors, is found to be ~ 2%, which is consistent with the efficiency predicted theoretically for a rigid helical coil.”

An engineer can’t get much more efficient than that, in other words, even in theory.

Is this a case where we can apply the design inference to real life?  Is venture capital available and a start-up company in the works????

Why would an engineer design a propulsion unit as a helical coil in real life?  :(  Quick call DoD and have them change their present submarine propellers (probably greater than 60% shaft efficient) for  a rigid helical coil.  The fact that a biological life form has optimized a function to a certain theoretical maximum has nothing to do with ID.

http://www.overwhelmingevidence.com/...comment-153

I liked the first response to that post:

Thanks for a lot of interesting information. I think it's quite obvious that when we find a "machine" that is more efficient than anything man has made or we can even make theories about, than that has design written all over it. ..

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2006,06:19   

Watching Davetard ban computer scientist Tom English, and then complain that the other side is leaving out crucial information...What's that tell you about the brainpower of UD readers who can't see through that.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2006,06:38   

OE

"Quantity" of CSI
TRoutMac | Fri, 2006-10-06 15:27

carlson wrote:
"I understand your point, but I am interested in moving past metaphors into the realm of science, which eschews rhetorical devices."

Carlson, no offense here, but the anti-ID crowd always claims to want to move beyond metaphors and analogies. Trouble is, they'll jump at the chance to offer their own analogies and metaphors if they think it serves their purpose. The metaphors and analogies are used as illustrations, not as rhetorical devices. They help highlight the path of logic. And they're used because THEY WORK. Which is precisely why the anti-ID crowd wants to "move beyond them". I'm not necessarily lumping you in with the anti-ID crowd just yet… while you might have brought some challenging questions, you seem to be open to the answers at this point. Unlike a few other posts I've responded to.

No one ever said CSI shouldn't be used. It's my understanding, however, that quantifying CSI is superfluous because the presence of CSI in any "quantity", or certainly in lower quantities, signals intelligent authorship. Here's an example: Up the street from my house is a Shell gas station. In front of the gas station is a large landscaped birm and planted on that birm are some shrubs and flowers which spell out the word "SHELL." Now certainly the quantity of CSI in this topiary must pale in comparison to the quantity of CSI in, for example, the genome of even the simplest organism. And yet, there's MORE than enough CSI there to signal intelligent authorship.

In fact, to illlustrate CSI, Dembski uses the following illustration: Imagine a large, blank wall and then imagine someone standing several feet from the wall with a bow and arrow. If you paint a small target on the wall in a random location and then the archer strikes the target with an arrow, that is CSI and is enough CSI to determine intent, which is to say, intelligent authorship. By contrast, if you shoot the arrow at the wall and THEN paint the target around where the arrow struck, that is NOT CSI.

The target is the specification, and where the arrow landed is the low probability. That is, in the analogy all possible locations where the arrow may have landed are equally improbable. But for the arrow to land where a landing is specified amounts to CSI and signals intent. In other words, someone "meant" to do that. It was "on purpose."

With the Shell station flowers, any arrangement of flowers is equally improbable. But this arrangement matches something specified; an independently given pattern. (the name of the gas station). That's CSI. How much CSI is really not important.

Perhaps Patrick can expand on this further or perhaps he can correct me if I've misspoken.

TRoutMac
Intelligent (Graphic) Designer

"We don't have to calculate the CSI, because just look at it. There's obviously some CSI there."

snooze.

OE is boring the crap out of me. ID is obviously just going to shrink to being some buzzwords used by evangelicals.

2ndclass

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2006,07:07   

DaveScot:

It’s nothing short of hilarious that KeithS and others at ATBC that have obviously not done a single bit of gate level hardware design in their lives are talking about how simulations of gate logic intended to verify a design prior to laying copper need only be modeled with boolean logic. The poor ignoramuses know nothing about analog considerations such as supply rail loading, bus loading, propagation delays, and race conditions just to name a few show stoppers that aren’t covered in simple boolean logic.

Dave!  I'm glad to see that you're still popping in and reading this thread.

Here are several clues for you:

- "Simulations of gate logic" are only done with boolean logic.  What other kind of logic do you think is simulated?

- Contrary to your strawman, nobody here said that analog considerations aren't important.  They just aren't part of gate-level modelling.

- Telling a group of strangers that they have "not done a single bit of gate level hardware design in their lives" seems a little presumptuous.  You might want to ask us about our backgrounds before going out on a limb like that.

- Some people brag incessantly about their alleged knowledge.  Others demonstrate it by earning degrees and publishing.  Since you have no degrees and no publications, I would think you would try to demonstrate your brilliance in some other way instead of just applying the word genius to yourself and expecting us to believe it.

- Back when you were bragging about your physics knowledge, I gave you three problems to solve.  You never solved any of them.  Don't worry, I'll give you an opportunity to put substance to your boasting of "hardware design genius".

- You've given us no reason to believe that you're a smart as you claim to be, and many reasons to believe otherwise.  (The 2nd Law is violated by typing sentences?  The earth and sun form a thermodynamically closed system?  “Statistically unexpected results from a well characterized physical process” is a valid Dembskian specification?)  I think the only people fooled by your habitual bluffing are BarryA and yourself.

--------------
"I wasn't aware that classical physics had established a position on whether intelligent agents exercising free were constrained by 2LOT into increasing entropy." -DaveScot

Occam's Toothbrush

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2006,09:01   

My theory is based on what I call "cognitive distance" or CD.

In order to provide a theoretical framework under which to best understand CD, I have developed what I call RD, "rational distance," which provides a similar rough-and-tumble numerical output which represents the difference between this person posting utterly mindless drivel and them having any idea what the heck they're talking about.  Simply assign four completely made up numerical values to whatever variables you might desire to pull out of your rectum, multiply those numbers together, and divide by the scientific content of Intelligent Design (zero).  The result is the approximate "Rational Distance" between "Cognitive Distance" and any kind of a useful notion.

--------------
"Molecular stuff seems to me not to be biology as much as it is a more atomic element of life" --Creo nut Robert Byers
------
"You need your arrogant ass kicked, and I would LOVE to be the guy who does it. Where do you live?" --Anger Management Problem Concern Troll "Kris"

Mike PSS

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 06 2006,09:37   

Quote (slpage @ Oct. 06 2006,12:17)
I liked the first response to that post:

Thanks for a lot of interesting information. I think it's quite obvious that when we find a "machine" that is more efficient than anything man has made or we can even make theories about, than that has design written all over it. ..

I did a lot of sci-fi reading, role-playing and such as a teenager.  I never conflated this with real life though.  I've had to back away from that statement a few times after reading it over because, just like all statements of grand opinion, it says everything and nothing at once.

Is he referring to the monolith in "2001: A Space Odysey" or to some cellular/biologic process we have yet to discover or even theorize about?

Ughhh...  My brain hurts.  I rank this quote as containing a large level of CD (both types). :p

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 228 229 230 231 232 [233] 234 235 236 237 238 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]