RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (59) < ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... >   
  Topic: Science Break, Selected Shorts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 13 2010,21:40   

Just got my copy of <i>Nature</i> 9 December 2010 today... it features a version of Haeckel's embryo drawings on the cover and an article supporting a phylotypic developmental stage with molecular evidence. It turns out that the lowest divergence in gene expression and the oldest genes are the ones associated with the phylotypic stage, as tested across six Drosophila spp.

How long until the DI hissy-fit?

Edited by Wesley R. Elsberry on Dec. 13 2010,21:40

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

bfish

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 14 2010,12:55   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Dec. 13 2010,19:40)
Just got my copy of <i>Nature</i> 9 December 2010 today... it features a version of Haeckel's embryo drawings on the cover and an article supporting a phylotypic developmental stage with molecular evidence. It turns out that the lowest divergence in gene expression and the oldest genes are the ones associated with the phylotypic stage, as tested across six Drosophila spp.

How long until the DI hissy-fit?

Hey, I know one of those dudes. He didn't tell me they were getting the cover.

ETA: The guy I know is the corresponding author, and it turns out he has already contacted Panda's Thumb.

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 14 2010,18:46   

IBM Computer to Play Jeopardy

So IBM thinks they have a computer that can figure out the clues well enough to actually play a game of Jeopardy.

I'll take AI for a million dollars Alex.

--------------
Ignored by those who can't provide evidence for their claims.

http://skepticink.com/smilodo....retreat

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 15 2010,13:03   

That... does... not... compute! Danger Will Robinson! Or something like that.

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 18 2010,21:00   

Anyone have any references for the development of DNA?

--------------

Sol3a1

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 19 2010,06:59   

Greetings all,

I see that the DI mill has been running OT despite their continuing to get their butts handed to them.  Good job.  OBTW, kudos to Dr. Wes for helping Dr. Eugene, I didn't know that.

I have a question about Chirality.  Right now, it is my understanding that of course it doesn't matter to Evolution, but the effect it has on Abiogenesis I'm still not clear about.

I know that amino acids are produced in the dust cloud that formed the solar system and that radiation made one selected over the other (and as early Earth was bombarded with comets with these selected Amino Acids) and gave rise to the chirality that we see today.  Oh yes, I forget if we're left or right handed proteins.

Any help or things to read would be appreciated.

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 19 2010,13:51   

Quote (Sol3a1 @ Dec. 19 2010,04:59)
Greetings all,

I have a question about Chirality.  Right now, it is my understanding that of course it doesn't matter to Evolution, but the effect it has on Abiogenesis I'm still not clear about.

I have a short outline at:

A Short Outline of the Origin of Life.

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 20 2010,03:58   

Cool!

THE FACT that dawn sunlight will beam into the passage grave at Newgrange tomorrow at the very moment that a full moon begins to pass out of a total lunar eclipse is a remarkable and rare coincidence, according to Prof Tom Ray, an astronomer at the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies.

“It is the first time it has happened in about 450 years so that is a coincidence enough. The Tudors were in power in England at the time,” he said.

It is even more remarkable that light from the sun and the moon will appear together, with the first sunbeams at dawn coming just as the moon emerges from eclipse.

“That will happen at exactly eight minutes to nine. The two happen to coincide to within a minute.”

This kind of connection is unbelievably rare, Prof Ray said. “It would not have occurred since Newgrange was built.”

Of course, we all know that this was prophesised in thuh Babble

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 20 2010,07:38   

Quote (Sol3a1 @ Dec. 19 2010,07:59)
Greetings all,

I see that the DI mill has been running OT despite their continuing to get their butts handed to them.  Good job.  OBTW, kudos to Dr. Wes for helping Dr. Eugene, I didn't know that.

I know that amino acids are produced in the dust cloud that formed the solar system and that radiation made one selected over the other (and as early Earth was bombarded with comets with these selected Amino Acids) and gave rise to the chirality that we see today.  Oh yes, I forget if we're left or right handed proteins.

Any help or things to read would be appreciated.

I think a few of the presentations at the recent NASA virtual conference had findings that there was a definite preference for one chirality over another in RNA/protein systems. So you don't need to buy into a space based origin of the amino acids, RNA bases, etc to have an explanation of chirality. A few rounds of normal chemistry will amplify the preference to a preponderence to a necessity.

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 20 2010,07:52   

Quote (Amadan @ Dec. 20 2010,04:58)
Cool!

THE FACT that dawn sunlight will beam into the passage grave at Newgrange tomorrow at the very moment that a full moon begins to pass out of a total lunar eclipse is a remarkable and rare coincidence, according to Prof Tom Ray, an astronomer at the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies.

“It is the first time it has happened in about 450 years so that is a coincidence enough. The Tudors were in power in England at the time,” he said.

It is even more remarkable that light from the sun and the moon will appear together, with the first sunbeams at dawn coming just as the moon emerges from eclipse.

“That will happen at exactly eight minutes to nine. The two happen to coincide to within a minute.”

This kind of connection is unbelievably rare, Prof Ray said. “It would not have occurred since Newgrange was built.”

I'm not getting the distinction in rarities that the professor is making.

Newgrange * dawn * solstice * lunar eclipse  = once in 450 yrs

?? = not since Newgrange was built

Plus, exactly what is the force of
light from the sun and the moon will appear together, with the first sunbeams at dawn coming just as the moon emerges from eclipse

If you were in the Newgrange chamber, you wouldn't see the moon. It would be setting behind you, with tons of rock and dirt between you and that horizon.

I take it that precession of the equinoxes does not affect sites such as Newgrange. The solstice dawn hapens at the same point on the horizon, no matter what day the solstice happens to be.

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter

George

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 20 2010,08:14   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Dec. 20 2010,07:52)
Cool!

light from the sun and the moon will appear together, with the first sunbeams at dawn coming just as the moon emerges from eclipse

If you were in the Newgrange chamber, you wouldn't see the moon. It would be setting behind you, with tons of rock and dirt between you and that horizon.

I take it that precession of the equinoxes does not affect sites such as Newgrange. The solstice dawn hapens at the same point on the horizon, no matter what day the solstice happens to be.

What I think is really cool, if my last tour guide there is to be believed, is that sunlight doesn't hit the back wall of Newgrange, but lands on the floor a little in front.  However, when first constructed, it did hit the back wall, but the position of the Earth relative to the sun has changed in the intervening 6000 years.

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 20 2010,10:07   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Dec. 20 2010,13:52)
Cool!

What's rare is the coincidence of the eclipse and solstice dawn. As the eclipse ends you'll just have enough time to get inside, scramble down the passage and turn around to see the sun light up the inside.

Mind you, you have to be lucky to win a place in there for the morning of the solstice. (There's a lottery of some sort, places are liable to be gazumped by visiting dignitaries etc etc) The rest of us mere peasants have to make do with the simulated dawn they do with electric lights six times a day on the tours.

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2011,07:01   

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110106145311.htm

A very cool result, and challenge to the "tiny island of function in a sea of useless" argument for ID.

De novo gene sequences code for completely non-natural proteins (apparently the sequences were chosen based on some probability that they would fold). Insert these sequences into bacteria with some necessary genes knocked out, and the novel proteins substitute for the lacking natural proteins.

So the space of functional proteins is larger than the space of proteins sampled so far by evolution. Perhaps far larger, since this was pretty easy to do.

Our friend at UD, KF-san, often argues that micro-evolution can climb the slope of the island, but that finding the island in the first place is the problem (especially for abiogenesis). He appears to be mistaken. There are lots of islands, but evolution is very conservative. Perhaps more conservative than BarryA!

--------------

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2011,09:23   

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0015364

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2011,10:00   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Jan. 11 2011,07:23)

Amazing.

This is the kind of real work that is anathema to the armchair wankers of ID.  But just watch them turn it into another "intelligence was involved" pedantic circle jerk.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2011,11:37   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Jan. 11 2011,10:23)

Thanks for providing the link to the original article. It is wonderfully clear and direct.

The polar patterning space they were exploring is vastly smaller than the full random 20^102 space of the strawman argument. They only scratched the surface with one million sequences and only tested four possible functions. And yet, they got hits on all four. That is impressive.

--------------

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2011,12:24   

As an ignorant bystander to this kind of work, I'd sure like to know how the library of sequences was designed.

Some preview of the sure to be upcoming Corny Hunter blog would be interesting.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2011,13:10   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Jan. 11 2011,13:24)
As an ignorant bystander to this kind of work, I'd sure like to know how the library of sequences was designed.

Details here:
http://peds.oxfordjournals.org/content/18/4/201.full.pdf

--------------

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2011,17:08   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Jan. 11 2011,10:24)

Second paragraph of the introduction may help. Is that what you were asking?

If I'm reading it correctly, they used their PNPetc... codon pattern to insert sequences that would code for a specific protein shape (my bold):

For example, to design a helical bundle comprising ?-helices with hydrophilic faces exposed to aqueous solvent and hydrophobic faces buried in the interior of a protein, the binary pattern of polar (P) and nonpolar (N) residues should be PNPPNNPPNPPNNP, consistent with the structural repeat of 3.6 residues per alpha-helical turn [9], [10]. For the current studies, we used the binary code strategy to design and construct a library of sequences designed to fold into 102-residue 4-helix bundles. Our strategies for protein design and selecting biological function are summarized in Figure 1. Details describing the construction and biophysical characterization of the library are presented elsewhere [11], [12].

Apparently any of the polar/nonpolar amino acids in that order will make the protein shape they wanted.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Steverino

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2011,18:04   

This is off topic but, what's the latest/up to date evidence on Dino-Bird evolution?

Was the merits of Evolution with a creationist who used this article (below) as proof that the dino-bird evolution lineage is not as strong as previously thought.

I've tried to find a more up to date information but seem to have hit a wall.

Any suggestions?

article referenced:

Jones, T. D. and J. A. Ruben. Respiratory structure and function in theropod dinosaurs and some related taxa. In: New perspectives on the origins and evolution of birds. Pp. 443-461. Gauthier, J. and Gall, L. F., eds.,Yale University Press, New Haven.

--------------
- Born right the first time.
- Asking questions is NOT the same as providing answers.
- It's all fun and games until the flying monkeys show up!

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 11 2011,19:07   

Quote (Steverino @ Jan. 11 2011,19:04)
This is off topic but, what's the latest/up to date evidence on Dino-Bird evolution?

Was the merits of Evolution with a creationist who used this article (below) as proof that the dino-bird evolution lineage is not as strong as previously thought.

I've tried to find a more up to date information but seem to have hit a wall.

Any suggestions?

article referenced:

Jones, T. D. and J. A. Ruben. Respiratory structure and function in theropod dinosaurs and some related taxa. In: New perspectives on the origins and evolution of birds. Pp. 443-461. Gauthier, J. and Gall, L. F., eds.,Yale University Press, New Haven.

I think the latest pub from Ruben's group is talked about here:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090609092055.htm
(This is the pop-sci version, the article has the direct cite at the bottom.)

Basically, the OSU group under Ruben is still the lonely outlier, and is resorting to insinuations of politics and "more and more people agree with us every day". Pretty familiar tactics.

I think I read through Quick's article at the time, and came to the conclusion that it doesn't say what Ruben says it says, but she just wanted to finish her doctorate and get the hell out. At best it says dinosaurs did not start as good long distance fliers. Duh.

Your creationist friend is out of date, perhaps quoting the last pub on Ruben's own OSU page. Not that anything Ruben holds is in any way supportive of YEC. He is not saying birds are a "kind" or that they poofed into existence 6,000 years ago. Ruben holds that birds evolved from some previous lineage, just not theropod dinosaurs. This happened 100 million years ago according to Ruben, so why your friend thinks this supports their position is beyond me. Just another example of latching on to any controversy to yelp that Evilution Is Teh Dying!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_birds
is good, and you'll see that even the debate section doesn't deal with Ruben's position by name, just that some hold birds derived from archosaurs, not theropods.

--------------

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2011,17:19   

More goodness on Dinos and birds:
http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapo....urs.php

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2011,18:13   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Jan. 11 2011,07:01)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110106145311.htm

A very cool result, and challenge to the "tiny island of function in a sea of useless" argument for ID.

De novo gene sequences code for completely non-natural proteins (apparently the sequences were chosen based on some probability that they would fold). Insert these sequences into bacteria with some necessary genes knocked out, and the novel proteins substitute for the lacking natural proteins.

So the space of functional proteins is larger than the space of proteins sampled so far by evolution. Perhaps far larger, since this was pretty easy to do.

Our friend at UD, KF-san, often argues that micro-evolution can climb the slope of the island, but that finding the island in the first place is the problem (especially for abiogenesis). He appears to be mistaken. There are lots of islands, but evolution is very conservative. Perhaps more conservative than BarryA!

IIRC, some of Kirk Durston's argumentation rested on the assumption that what protein families living things had discovered comprised all the functional proteins possible. This seems a nice rebuttal of that.

--------------

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 12 2011,18:23   

IIRC, some of Kirk Durston's argumentation rested on the assumption that what protein families living things had discovered comprised all the functional proteins possible.

I'd sure like to see a link to that.

--------------

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 13 2011,06:26   

Please excuse my use of this thread to record a research proposal, rather than report one.

Thinking about the series of Miller-Urey experiments, one of the most productive was simulating the effect of lightning in a volcanic eruption. A spark was passed through superheated steam in a model atmosphere. This experiment yielded abundant organic molecules.
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/322/5900/404
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081016141411.htm

I hypothesize that it should be able to confirm this result by collecting dust and ash from volcanos erupting today. While the current atmosphere contains abundant oxygen, the outgassing of a volcano may contain much less until thouroughly mixed. Therefore, lightning passing through the cloud produced by a volcano may be close to the conditions of the Miller-Bada experiment using steam.

In order to minimize contamination and degradation, my specific proposal is to collect samples from a volcano erupting through snow and ice, such as the Icelandic or Antarctic volcanos. In these conditions (dust and ash falling on new snow) the cold, dry environment would help preserve any molecules produced, and the background level of organics would be minimized.

My expectation is that the organic molecules would attach to the dust and ash particles through electrostatic forces, and be carried to the ground with them. Spectroscopy or some other form of analysis should then be able to detect them.

In summary, one criticism of abiogenesis that is sometimes heard is that if it happened in the past, why isn't it still happening today? This experiment would confirm that a reasonable mechanism that could have been at work in the past is in fact still at work today producing organic molecules. Of course, in the present these molecules do not have the chance to accumulate that they had in the deep past, due to the presence of oxygen and living creatures ready to absorb them.

I would be very happy to get comments on this proposal.

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 13 2011,07:53   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Jan. 12 2011,18:23)
IIRC, some of Kirk Durston's argumentation rested on the assumption that what protein families living things had discovered comprised all the functional proteins possible.

I'd sure like to see a link to that.

I have a comment here about Durston using a number of proteins found in PFAM to fill in for "functional configurations", which is pretty close, I think.

--------------

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 13 2011,10:47   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Jan. 13 2011,06:26)
Please excuse my use of this thread to record a research proposal, rather than report one.

Thinking about the series of Miller-Urey experiments, one of the most productive was simulating the effect of lightning in a volcanic eruption. A spark was passed through superheated steam in a model atmosphere. This experiment yielded abundant organic molecules.

I hypothesize that it should be able to confirm this result by collecting dust and ash from volcanos erupting today. While the current atmosphere contains abundant oxygen, the outgassing of a volcano may contain much less until thouroughly mixed. Therefore, lightning passing through the cloud produced by a volcano may be close to the conditions of the Miller-Bada experiment using steam.

In order to minimize contamination and degradation, my specific proposal is to collect samples from a volcano erupting through snow and ice, such as the Icelandic or Antarctic volcanos. In these conditions (dust and ash falling on new snow) the cold, dry environment would help preserve any molecules produced, and the background level of organics would be minimized.

My expectation is that the organic molecules would attach to the dust and ash particles through electrostatic forces, and be carried to the ground with them. Spectroscopy or some other form of analysis should then be able to detect them.

In summary, one criticism of abiogenesis that is sometimes heard is that if it happened in the past, why isn't it still happening today? This experiment would confirm that a reasonable mechanism that could have been at work in the past is in fact still at work today producing organic molecules. Of course, in the present these molecules do not have the chance to accumulate that they had in the deep past, due to the presence of oxygen and living creatures ready to absorb them.

Would you be collecting the material directly from the vent outgassing or from the ground around the vent?

I think it would be very difficult to distinguish between material made within the vent outgassing ('new material' if you will) and material that has been formed outside of that system.

That being said, depending on the volcano, you might be able to look at the ratios of various isotopes and look for signatures that would be more appropriate to recent eruptions rather than surface/recycled material.  

Personally, I would think collecting gases directly from the vent (no helicopters!!) would be the best bet.  Keep them sealed, then run some electricity through them and see what results.

--------------

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 13 2011,11:18   

Quote (OgreMkV @ Jan. 13 2011,11:47)
Quote (dvunkannon @ Jan. 13 2011,06:26)

Would you be collecting the material directly from the vent outgassing or from the ground around the vent?

I think it would be very difficult to distinguish between material made within the vent outgassing ('new material' if you will) and material that has been formed outside of that system.

That being said, depending on the volcano, you might be able to look at the ratios of various isotopes and look for signatures that would be more appropriate to recent eruptions rather than surface/recycled material.  

Personally, I would think collecting gases directly from the vent (no helicopters!!) would be the best bet.  Keep them sealed, then run some electricity through them and see what results.

I think it would be cool to fly through a lightning charged cloud collecting gases, but I'm not sure I could afford the insurance. So second best is to collect the dust and ash samples after they fell to the ground.

I agree that the problem of contamination is a big issue, that is why I propose the mitigation strategy of collecting samples from new snow. The control samples would come from samples collected at the same time, but upwind of the volcano. That would give a baseline of how much organic material (and of what isotopes, as you mention) happen to be landing on the snow. Subtract that baseline, and you have a shot at seeing what the volcano is producing in the way of organics.

In the case of sampling an Antarctic volcano it would be really, really cool to look at an ice core taken from downwind of one, and look back thousands of years in order to add up the output over that time frame.

--------------

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 13 2011,12:04   

That's the thing... I'm not sure that anywhere on Earth would be clean enough for you to accurately determine if the material was from the volcano or contamination.  

I really think that they only way to do this would be to collect the hot gases directly from the vent and add the 'lightening' later in a lab.

IIRC, there were organics in NASA's high altitude material captures.

Whatever the original source, the Earth's atmosphere is full of organic debris.  Unless there is a very good isotope signature, I don't see how to determine if material is formed from the volcano or living systems.

Alternately, you could use the gases in the same ratio as modern volcanos generate them (see link below) and run them through a Miller-Urey-like apparatus.  If you get positive results, then a field study might be more likely to be funded.
volcanic Gases USGS

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 13 2011,13:38   

DNA teleportation WTF:

http://www.popsci.com/science....inks-so

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

1753 replies since July 16 2008,08:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (59) < ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]