RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (501) < ... 399 400 401 402 403 [404] 405 406 407 408 409 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 3, The Beast Marches On...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: April 18 2011,22:41   

I wonder, could that notion of water hating electricity be a side effect of assuming that any one substance has to be either a conductor or an insulator? (i.e., missing the fact that some substances are somewhere in between those two categories.)

Henry

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: April 18 2011,22:57   

vjtorley treats us to over 8000 words defending Intelligent Design from the criticisms of Professor Edward Feser.  The number of words expended on ID by kairosfocus must exceed the US national debt expressed in dollars.

Can you imagine how far ID would have progressed had all that effort been devoted to actually running calculations of CSI and testing its ability to distinguish what is designed from what isn't?  (Of course, if God actually created the Universe and everything in it, this could be a problem.)

Funny no one's got around to doing it.

Or maybe not.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: April 18 2011,23:11   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,April 18 2011,15:00)
PaV will never have a girlfriend!

Which reminds me.   I wonder how Joel Borofsky is doing.

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: April 18 2011,23:22   

Quote (CeilingCat @ April 18 2011,23:11)

And what is Botnik doing today?

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,00:03   

Happy 1k, Ceiling Cat!

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,05:21   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 19 2011,00:03)

Happy 1k, Ceiling Cat!

Wow!  I didn't notice how close I was getting.  No wonder I feel so millenial.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,05:27   

vjtorley has a new post up at UD.  The man is positively obsessed with Feser and Thomism.  

The opening post is 8119 words long!  Gordon has some serious competition in logorreah.

Even his title runs on and on and on: "An argument about ships, oaks, corn and teleology – will Professor Feser finally concede that it is possible for a living thing to be the product of design?"

It has two replies so far, one from Ilion, who is not happy about something or other (who cares?) and one from paragwinn making a snarky point about a couple of recent silent banninations.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,05:31   

Quote (sparc @ April 18 2011,23:22)

And what is Botnik doing today?

A blast from the past!  Did anybody keep a copy of the original notparody?

PTET

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,07:23   

A sample of todays idiocy...    
GilDodgen: Let’s face it, either the Christian worldview is correct or the Darwinian worldview is correct in this particular debate.

What a moron. I love the complete lack of pretence that ID is in any way about science.

Jonathan Wells: … modern medicine owes nothing to Darwinism.

Can someone please ask these rubes how much "modern medicine" owes to The Bible, and how much it owes to the the "materialist" scientific method these idiots are so keen to get rid of?

--------------
"It’s not worth the effort to prove the obvious. Ridiculous ideas don’t deserve our time.
Even the attempt to formulate ID is a generous accommodation." - ScottAndrews

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,07:30   

Quote (Henry J @ April 18 2011,22:41)
I wonder, could that notion of water hating electricity be a side effect of assuming that any one substance has to be either a conductor or an insulator? (i.e., missing the fact that some substances are somewhere in between those two categories.)

Henry

I suppose that means semiconductors have a love-hate relationship with electricity.

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,07:32   

Quote (Seversky @ April 18 2011,22:57)
vjtorley treats us to over 8000 words defending Intelligent Design from the criticisms of Professor Edward Feser.  The number of words expended on ID by kairosfocus must exceed the US national debt expressed in dollars.

Can you imagine how far ID would have progressed had all that effort been devoted to actually running calculations of CSI and testing its ability to distinguish what is designed from what isn't?  (Of course, if God actually created the Universe and everything in it, this could be a problem.)

Or maybe not.

Nobody has come up with .....

one million dollars.

That is the only thing holding advances in CSI computation back.

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,09:36   

Quote (Tracy P. Hamilton @ April 19 2011,07:32)
Quote (Seversky @ April 18 2011,22:57)

Or maybe not.

Nobody has come up with .....

one million dollars.

That is the only thing holding advances in CSI computation back.

Templeton Foundation:

http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2007/02/the-templeton-f.html

We do not believe that the science underpinning the intelligent-design movement is sound, we do not support research or programs that deny large areas of well-documented scientific knowledge, and the foundation is a nonpolitical entity and does not engage in or support political movements.

Shame. They has a monies. You can not has.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,09:58   

Mathgrrl is back and calls out Uptight Biped:

MathGrrl
04/19/2011
8:17 am

Upright BiPed,

LOL, you’ve brought up the “pseudo-Socratic” objection once again.

When you repeat a pattern of behavior, people will tend to notice.

The problem with this pattern is that, whether deliberately or not, it leads to long discussions that reach no conclusion. This stems from the basic problem that by asking questions you avoid making clear statements.

ID is supposed to be a scientific endeavor. Real scientists state their hypotheses clearly and provide the evidence that supports them.

Please be specific. On what grounds do you make the distinction that one relationship acts as a code, while another relationship is a code? Also, please tell me how this proposed distinction has been independently validated.

And here you go again, attempting to turn the burden of proof around without ever making your position clear.

Please man up and say what you mean. What is your positive evidence for ID? What is your argument from semiotics? If you’ve got it, bring it on!

ETA: She is active here as well. I would note that she did not respond to PaVs' condescending "listen, sweetheart."  Good for her. I think he was trying to bait her into an intemperate reaction, in order to get her banned.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,10:24   

Quote (carlsonjok @ April 19 2011,09:58)

MathGrrl
04/19/2011
8:17 am

Upright BiPed,

LOL, you’ve brought up the “pseudo-Socratic” objection once again.

When you repeat a pattern of behavior, people will tend to notice.

The problem with this pattern is that, whether deliberately or not, it leads to long discussions that reach no conclusion. This stems from the basic problem that by asking questions you avoid making clear statements.

ID is supposed to be a scientific endeavor. Real scientists state their hypotheses clearly and provide the evidence that supports them.

Please be specific. On what grounds do you make the distinction that one relationship acts as a code, while another relationship is a code? Also, please tell me how this proposed distinction has been independently validated.

And here you go again, attempting to turn the burden of proof around without ever making your position clear.

Please man up and say what you mean. What is your positive evidence for ID? What is your argument from semiotics? If you’ve got it, bring it on!

ETA: She is active here as well. I would note that she did not respond to PaVs' condescending "listen, sweetheart."  Good for her. I think he was trying to bait her into an intemperate reaction, in order to get her banned.

We are used to ignoring it, people.

All women build up a resistance. Apparently, ID did not predict that.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,10:41   

Quote (Henry J @ April 18 2011,20:41)

Henry

You're assuming that Joe is trying to think, rather than just spouting random crap.  The evidence (most notably "hail is not made of water") does not support this assumption.

...I just thought of something.  Could one of the active UD sock-pilots ask Joe if hail hates electricity?

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

PTET

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,10:59   

Quote (JohnW @ April 19 2011,10:41)
...I just thought of something.  Could one of the active UD sock-pilots ask Joe if hail hates electricity?

Anyone with a sock puppet that wants to die, that would be. I had meant to say that idcurious had asked Joseph if he was "Nowhere Man" of old. That led to me realizing this entire comment was disappeared from the relevant thread:

idcurious
04/16/2011
8:06 am
Joseph @ 239

I know the human body generates electricty you dolt.

The website you linked to to attack evolution (which you said ID does not do) argues that water does not conduct electricity. That is utterly moronic.

You are completely ignorant about the evidence for evolution and even the fact that ID is an “inference” with no actual evidence to support it.

If there was evidence, UD would be packed with post after post discussing it – rather than a place where commentators (QuiteID? KL?) vanish without trace and where thread after thread is dominated by KF doing absurd BIGNUM sums to “prove” that none of us could possibly be here.

Oh yeah Joseph. I missed one of your greatest hits from this thread: “[Ribosomes are] About as “naturally occurring” as my cars.”. LOL.

I remember from c.2003 there was this guy “Nowhere Man” who was famous for asking “Caves? I thought this was in Africa. Where are there caves in Africa?”

That wasn’t you, was it?

Did I remember reading that Joe [*was] "Nowhere Man", or has the explanatory filter failed again?

I see Joe is crowing away that idc has been banned, safe in the knowledge that his own extreme idiocy was expunged from UD - straight after the above was posted.

--------------
"It’s not worth the effort to prove the obvious. Ridiculous ideas don’t deserve our time.
Even the attempt to formulate ID is a generous accommodation." - ScottAndrews

utidjian

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,12:15   

I was trying to comment on Josephs (JoeG) blog. He has a new post up about Electricity and Water ( LINKAGE )

Of course being an UDder Joe he gets it wrong again for the wrong reasons.

I tried to post a response there that I knew would never make it past moderation on UD. But it was stillborn (something about logging in and whatnot) I shoulda Copy-n-Pasted to something before hitting "Post"... ah well.

Anyhow... for the benefit of onlookers it was along the lines of:

The reason why electrical conductors are protected with an insulating sheath in moist environments is similar to why we use prophylactics on our penises.

I think you know where it goes after that. I figured Joe would get much stimulation from such a discussion.

-DU-

--------------
Being laughed at doesn't mean you're progressing along some line. It probably just means you're saying some stupid shit -stevestory

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,12:26   

Quote (utidjian @ April 19 2011,10:15)
The reason why electrical conductors are protected with an insulating sheath in moist environments is similar to why we use prophylactics on our penises.

There are many things with a function unknown to Joe.  Several of them are listed in this sentence.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,12:56   

Quote (JohnW @ April 19 2011,12:26)

There are many things with a function unknown to Joe.  Several of them are listed in this sentence.

If the Designer is a woman, what then?  :p

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

utidjian

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,13:06   

Quote (Kristine @ April 19 2011,12:56)
Quote (JohnW @ April 19 2011,12:26)

If the Designer is a woman, what then?  :p

For some reason I find that idea MUCH more attractive than if the Designer were a man. MUCH more.

-DU-

--------------
Being laughed at doesn't mean you're progressing along some line. It probably just means you're saying some stupid shit -stevestory

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,13:42   

Quote (PTET @ April 19 2011,09:59)

I remember from c.2003 there was this guy “Nowhere Man” who was famous for asking “Caves? I thought this was in Africa. Where are there caves in Africa?”

Under the ground, maybe?

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,13:55   

Thank you for your post. As for specifics about the calculation of CSI for the test cases discussed by Elsberry, I have already written a post outlining the methodology by which his questions could be resolved:

All we really need are two things: (i) hard data relating to the probability distributions of various patterns in nature, and (ii) a detailed inventory of the mode of origin of each of the various patterns that are observed to arise in the natural world.

In other words, all we need in order to calculate CSI and know if something was designed, is its history.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,14:22   

Quote (midwifetoad @ April 19 2011,11:55)
Thank you for your post. As for specifics about the calculation of CSI for the test cases discussed by Elsberry, I have already written a post outlining the methodology by which his questions could be resolved:

All we really need are two things: (i) hard data relating to the probability distributions of various patterns in nature, and (ii) a detailed inventory of the mode of origin of each of the various patterns that are observed to arise in the natural world.

In other words, all we need in order to calculate CSI and know if something was designed, is its history.

Now we're getting somewhere.  If we already know whether something is designed, we can use CSI to tell us whether it was designed.  This clearly has major implications for the whole field of sciency-sounding apologetics.

--------------

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,14:36   

Now we're getting somewhere.  If we already know whether something is designed, we can use CSI to tell us whether it was designed.

With all that's at stake, it's good to know they have a professional philosopher on the case.

You wouldn't want to try that from your mother's basement.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

paragwinn

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,16:36   

Quote (Kristine @ April 19 2011,10:24)

Quote (carlsonjok @ April 19 2011,09:58)
[SNIP]
I would note that she did not respond to PaVs' condescending "listen, sweetheart."  Good for her. I think he was trying to bait her into an intemperate reaction, in order to get her banned.

We are used to ignoring it, people.

All women build up a resistance. Apparently, ID did not predict that.

sigworthy!

(emphasis mine)

--------------
All women build up a resistance [to male condescension]. Apparently, ID did not predict that. -Kristine 4-19-11
F/Ns to F/Ns to F/Ns etc. The whole thing is F/N ridiculous -Seversky on KF footnote fetish 8-20-11
Sigh. Really Bill? - Barry Arrington

paragwinn

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,16:46   

Quote (CeilingCat @ April 19 2011,05:27)
It has two replies so far, one from Ilion, who is not happy about something or other (who cares?) and one from paragwinn making a snarky point about a couple of recent silent banninations.

snarky? i didnt mean to come off that way. I was trying to act innocent, just trying to find out where things stand. It's like Argentina's "Dirty War" with the "Disappeared Ones" at UD.

--------------
All women build up a resistance [to male condescension]. Apparently, ID did not predict that. -Kristine 4-19-11
F/Ns to F/Ns to F/Ns etc. The whole thing is F/N ridiculous -Seversky on KF footnote fetish 8-20-11
Sigh. Really Bill? - Barry Arrington

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,16:55   

Gordon's latest screed opens with something that would shatter any ordinary irony meter:

Onlookers:

It is a pity that I have to start this by speaking to a serious challenge MG needs to address before she can sit to the table of reasonable discourse.

A serious challenge unmet? He's got that much right at least.

Someone who accuses others of being “dishonest” — not merely in error but willfully deceitful — has a stiff burden of proof to meet, which MG simply has not done.

That is sad, and it is a further demonstration of just how completely her challenge over the past weeks has collapsed.

Yes Gordy. That's right. Tard.

In another post, a 28 point monster that says nothing and signifies less he says:

24 –> If bird songs are symbolic and functional with complexity that can be discerned beyond the 1,00 bits then that would point to design as the source. The real issue would be where the design rests, e.g are the birds giving evidence of verbal communication, and same for the dolphins or whales.

25 –> Show the function and the complex specificity then we can look at what the design filter says about type of source.

26 –> If whales do have personal signatures that are evidently deliberately constructed on an individual basis then that is a sign that the whales are intelligent enough to do that. Which would be great news, and would compound our guilt over our wanton slaughter of these wonderful creatures.

Can we look at what the "design filters" says Gordy? Really?

Why don't you give us an example then.

28 –> Oddly while MG casts this up as a challenge, the authors give a grudging concession:

We note the use of examples in Dembski’s work involving a laboratory rat traversing a maze as an
indication of the applicability of CSI to animal cognition [16, 17, 19].

29 –> in other words, a success by the EF on FSCI!>>

Gordon understands "in other words" to mean something quite different to what I understand it to mean.

Gordon thinks he is very smart indeed.

AMW said:

That’s pretty ridiculous. The fact that random change + selection can produce complex designs doesn’t mean it’s the fastest or most efficient way of doing so.

Nevertheless, there are environments in which evolutionary algorithms are in fact useful and efficient.

Gordon responds:

The fact that random change + [artificial, algorithmic] selection [matched to a specified fitness metric on the space of possibilities in an island of function set up by designers of the relevant GA program] can produce complex designs doesn’t mean it’s the fastest or most efficient way of doing so.

There, put in the significant parts that are too often left off.

And elsewhere adds:

* Has anyone actually OBSERVED a case of known chance plus blind necessity without intelligent guidance producing novel functionally specific complex genetic information beyond, say, 1,000 bits — 500 bases — of complexity? (Duplications of existing functional info don’t count for reasons identified in 19 – 20 above.)

+++++

Oops, I’se be a very bad boy . . . spoiling the rhetorical force of the objection by inserting the material parts that are usually omitted when it is made.

“Well, I couldn’t resist those hot oatmeal and raisin cookies, mama . . . ”

WHACK!

GEM of TKI

This appears to be his "slam dunk". He's inserted the material parts that are usually omitted when that point is made. Wow. But if selection is artificial and algorithmic is it also random?

The clue is in the new disclaimer

Duplications of existing functional info don’t count for reasons identified in 19 – 20 above

19 -20:

19 –> In addition, we have the infinite monkey analysis to tell us that it is utterly implausible that something so complexly and specifically organised will be feasible of blind random walks and mechanical necessity on the gamut of the observable cosmos.

20 –> this is not rejected for want of empirical or analytical support, but for want of fit with the prevailing evolutionary materialistic agenda in science as exposed by Lewontin, Sagan the US NAS, etc etc. Indeed, the cite form the paper at this point is all too inadvertently revealing of the Lewontin materialist a priori at work:

It is our expectation that application of the “explanatory filter” to a wide range of biological examples will, in fact, demonstrate that “design” will be invoked for all but a small fraction of phenomena [what is the evidence trying to tell you?], and that most biologists would find that many of these classifications are “false positive” attributions of “design.”[In short a naked appeal to the evo mat consensus of the new magisterium]

Go on then Gordon, apply the “explanatory filter” to a wide range of biological examples and demonstrate "design". I fucking double dare you!

Something else that became apparent during my recent talks with Gordy was that he's a YEC that believes in a young earth but an old cosmos.

16: Evolutionary search algorithms, in short, may well explain microevolution, but that such is possible and is empirically supported is accepted by all, including young earth creationists, who see it as a designed means of adapting kinds of creatures to environments (and for the benefit of God’s steward on earth, man, e.g. the dog-wolf kind).

How would Gordy know or care what YEC's make of  Evolutionary search algorithms unless he was one?*

He's also made passing references to the "work" being done by YEC's relating to space time and how the earth can be 7 days old in a universe billions of years old. I'd find references but the 3 people reading this who give enough of a shit about Gordy's latest foot shooting already probably read it directly on UD :) It all relates back to his mistrust of nuclear based dating methods and how they are simply untrustworthy.

So Gordy is a YEC who is too much of a fucking chicken to come out and say it but who has pretensions of creating and presumably teaching an "origins" course when he can't even commit to an opinion on the age of the earth.

* har har.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,17:20   

Page 404 and not even one "Not Found" joke?

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

Sealawr

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,17:41   

So Gordy is a YEC who is too much of a fucking chicken to come out and say it

He's said it before.  Well...."Gordon Mullings" has identified himself as a YEC--maybe KairosFocus/GEM of Tiki is another person.

--------------
DS: "The explantory filter is as robust as the data that is used with it."
David Klinghoffer: ""I'm an IDiot"

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: April 19 2011,18:27   

Quote (dvunkannon @ April 19 2011,15:20)
Page 404 and not even one "Not Found" joke?

Oh, well, now you've gone and ruined it.  Page 404....and not a 404 joke to be found.  See the subtlety, the sophistication?  ALL GONE NOW.

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

15001 replies since Sep. 04 2009,16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (501) < ... 399 400 401 402 403 [404] 405 406 407 408 409 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]