RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 >   
  Topic: Panda's Thumb / AtBC Locations, meet each other when you're in town< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Richard Simons

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2008,17:08   

Quote (Robert O'Brien @ May 21 2008,11:09)
Quote (Richard Simons @ May 20 2008,23:32)
I'm in the sticks in Manitoba, an 8-hour drive north of Winnipeg and 3 hours south of Thompson, in a place where the cultural highlights are the Trappers' Festival and the ice fishing derbies.

I've also family in the UK (I grew up in the Manchester area) in Norfolk and Nottinghamshire, plus Calgary and Vancouver in Canada.

At least you don't live in Regina, Sasquatchewan (or however they spell it.) Whose idea was it to pronounce Regina like the female part?

Regina - the place where you can look out of your living room window and watch your dog run away from home - for three days.

Actually, from the times I've spent a few hours there it did not seem a bad place although it's getting the sprawl of big box stores that is common to all North American cities.

P.S. It used to be called Pile O'Bones from the heaps of bison bones but as a PR gesture it was renamed after Queen Victoria in the 1880s.

--------------
All sweeping statements are wrong.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2008,22:07   

I live about a half mile from Wendy's in one direction, and McDonald's in the other direction.

Wait, was that too specific? :)

Henry

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2008,22:50   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ May 21 2008,16:54)
Quote (Louis @ May 21 2008,01:43)
Are you trying to force your imperialist, American, cultural hegemony upon we happy few? You hegemoniser you!

Of course not, Louis.

By the way, that should be 'hegemonizer'.

Good lad. I knew I could rely on you.

{sotto voce}

Imperialist running dog.

{/sotto voce}

Louis

--------------
Bye.

digitus impudicus

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2008,23:30   

Sighs heavily...and delurks...

OK, I am probably about the only one here who could possibly tie Erasmus for small towndom.  I was raised in Byhalia MS, currently live in the big metropolis of Memphis, TN (well, just a tech outside of it).  

I am a scary thing, an intelligent redneck.  I do at least have a Bachelors degree in Econ/Finance.  That, in theory, should at least qualify me as mildly evil.  
:D

nuytsia

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,00:14   

Quote (bfish @ May 20 2008,16:34)

Hey, I've been to Tasmania. In fact, twas there that my wife and I found out she was pregnant with our now 4 year old. We were staying at a B&B on the Freycinet Peninsula at the time. Beautiful place. In a mere three days on the island we saw an echidna, a platypus, and two black tiger snakes in the wild, plus a very large number of quolls and such, as they roamed the highway at night looking for roadkill, and often becoming it.

Yeah Tassie is great for wildlife and really quite beautiful. It's just a touch too quiet... even when you live in the damn capital.

I should have said I'm originally from the UK, I've been living in Tassie for over two years now. Previous 16 years were spent near Haywards Heath. Childhood spent in Gloucestershire and South Wales.

Nearly stepped on a Tiger snake back in February. Boy was the snake unhappy. Yes indeed.
I've seen plenty of echidnas here but rarely see platypus. Echidnas are very cool but are equipped with weird genitalia. Check out this page and click on photos... if you're interested. :p

nuytsia

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,00:33   

Quote (Ptaylor @ May 20 2008,17:44)

Quote (nuytsia @ May 20 2008,10:09)

It could be worse, you could be living in Tasmania.

Think I might be the most isolated lurker here.
I wait to be proven wrong. ;)

We could perhaps argue that one - North Shore of Auckland, New Zealand is where I work and play.

That's cool.
I'm willing to acknowledge defeat.
You're the most isolated person on this board.

and you're prize is .... er.. damn what's the prize?

Quote (bystander @ May 20 2008,18:42)

A small town 2hrs south of Sydney so a long distance hello to you both.

Hello the North!

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,07:49   

Quote (digitus impudicus @ May 22 2008,05:30)
[SNIP]

I am a scary thing, an intelligent redneck.  I do at least have a Bachelors degree in Econ/Finance.  That, in theory, should at least qualify me as mildly evil.  

Bolding mine.

FLEEEEEEEEE!!!! FLEEEEEEEEEE! THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH!!!!! 'TIS A SIGN OF THE APOCALYPSE!!!!!!

Louis

--------------
Bye.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,09:35   

Quote (Louis @ May 22 2008,07:49)
Quote (digitus impudicus @ May 22 2008,05:30)
[SNIP]

Bolding mine.

FLEEEEEEEEE!!!! FLEEEEEEEEEE! THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH!!!!! 'TIS A SIGN OF THE APOCALYPSE!!!!!!

Louis

Louis - It's okay!  Step away from the ledge.  Put down that Dembski and nobody gets hurt.  

I have been in touch with The Royal Academy Of The Queen's English and there has been a ruling:  The Words "Intelligent Redneck" are exactly analogous to the words "Intelligent Design".  

The American Academy of Language then further elaborated that once a redneck becomes intelligent, they can no longer be considered a redneck, just as once someone sees design in everything, they may no longer be considered intelligent.

HTH :)

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,09:36   

I'm confused. Why can't labor organizers be considered intelligent?

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,10:28   

Quote (Richard Simons @ May 21 2008,15:08)

Quote (Robert O'Brien @ May 21 2008,11:09)

Quote (Richard Simons @ May 20 2008,23:32)
I'm in the sticks in Manitoba, an 8-hour drive north of Winnipeg and 3 hours south of Thompson, in a place where the cultural highlights are the Trappers' Festival and the ice fishing derbies.

I've also family in the UK (I grew up in the Manchester area) in Norfolk and Nottinghamshire, plus Calgary and Vancouver in Canada.

At least you don't live in Regina, Sasquatchewan (or however they spell it.) Whose idea was it to pronounce Regina like the female part?

Regina - the place where you can look out of your living room window and watch your dog run away from home - for three days.

A friend of mine who lived there for a while once told me that Manitoba was the only place he'd ever lived that was so flat that you could actually *see* the curvature of the earth.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,12:27   

I'm currently at Chapel Hill, NC, where I've met Steve Story and Reed and Tiffany Cartwright as well as having some office time with my on-sabbatical boss, Rob Pennock. We're off to Richmond, VA later today and through the Memorial Day weekend. Then there will be a foray to New Jersey to buy a canine weasel substitute in the form of a mini-dachshund and then the subsequent dash back to Michigan through Pennsylvania and Ohio.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,12:40   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ May 22 2008,10:27)
I'm currently at Chapel Hill, NC, where I've met Steve Story

Wow. So what's Steve really like?? :p

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,13:09   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ May 22 2008,15:36)

Hmmmmm I'm going to go with:

Holy more than one meaning for a word, Batman!

;-)

Louis

P.S. Anyway, isn't the real question whether or not labour organisers are designed? Quick, Robin, to the Bat Explanatory Filter!

--------------
Bye.

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,14:29   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ May 22 2008,12:27)
I'm currently at Chapel Hill, NC, where I've met Steve Story and Reed and Tiffany Cartwright as well as having some office time with my on-sabbatical boss, Rob Pennock. We're off to Richmond, VA later today and through the Memorial Day weekend. Then there will be a foray to New Jersey to buy a canine weasel substitute in the form of a mini-dachshund and then the subsequent dash back to Michigan through Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Are mini-dachsunds illegal in Pennsylvania and Ohio?

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,15:02   

Quote (Louis @ May 22 2008,13:09)

;-)

Louis

P.S. Anyway, isn't the real question whether or not labour organisers are designed? Quick, Robin, to the Bat Explanatory Filter!

Ah Ha! Don't worry Little Robin!  The Evil Dr. Darwinist has made a play on words, and as everyone knows, puns are considered the lowest form of humor *.

AOL = American Academy Of Language

**AOL = American Organized Labor? (? AFL = American Federation of Labor)

**Is this what you meant Wes???

* - Not counting farty noises, which are lower, both literally and figuratively.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Ra-Úl

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,15:58   

Quote (J-Dog @ May 22 2008,15:02)
Quote (Louis @ May 22 2008,13:09)

;-)

Louis

Ah Ha! Don't worry Little Robin!  The Evil Dr. Darwinist has made a play on words, and as everyone knows, puns are considered the lowest form of humor *.

AOL = American Academy Of Language

**AOL = American Organized Labor? (? AFL = American Federation of Labor)

**Is this what you meant Wes???

* - Not counting farty noises, which are lower, both literally and figuratively.

A possible derivation of 'redneck' is the use or red neckerchiefs by West Virgina miners at Blair Mountain . . . other possible derivation is that Scottish Covenanters wore red neck cloths to signify signing the covenants with their own blood (and here I am, descended (maybe) from Scots Presbyterian lowlanders.  Sigh).
I believe Wesley refers to the Blair Mountain miners who fought for the right to organize.

--------------
Beauty is that which makes us desperate. - P Valery

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,19:27   

I thought "redneck" came from the pasty white Scots working all day in the hot southern sunshine and getting red necks from the sun burn?

rhmc

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,19:41   

i'm a poor example of a "skool larned southerner".
i've eaten roadkill repeatedly.
and liked it.
i live east of savannah.
surrounded by salt marsh.
which smells rather odd at low tide during the hotter months (all eleven of them).
i had more than one institution of higher learning drop out from around me.
the classes i took were so poor they could only provide us with two digits.  they promised more but...

but i do pal around with some bright folks.

in fact, i shall be dragging one of them to minneapolis (st.paul?) on august 3rd for a few days.
he's got a doctorate in mathematics from a soviet university.  back when the soviet union was an entity.
he's a hoot and a very interesting person to speak to.

any of you axehandles in that area about that time of year?

i'll handle introductions and then sit off to the side and drink myself silly - which takes about a tenth of the alcohol the communist will consume.

khan

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,20:15   

I grew up in a small town that had a virus named after it: Coxsackie.

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,22:45   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ May 22 2008,13:40)
Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ May 22 2008,10:27)
I'm currently at Chapel Hill, NC, where I've met Steve Story

Wow. So what's Steve really like?? :p

Sexy. Dashing. Erudite. You know. Everything you'd expect in an AtBC moderator.

We didn't have much time, but Wesley and his lovely wife Diane accompanied me to Weaver Street for a beer.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2008,22:50   

Quote (rhmc @ May 22 2008,20:41)
i'll handle introductions and then sit off to the side and drink myself silly - which takes about a tenth of the alcohol the communist will consume.

Too bad you aren't around The Triangle area of North Carolina. We could have a contest.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2008,02:35   

Quote (Henry J @ May 22 2008,04:07)
I live about a half mile from Wendy's in one direction, and McDonald's in the other direction.

Wait, was that too specific? :)

Henry

Opposite that Starbucks, right?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2008,05:31   

Half of everything is "opposite that Starbucks". The other half is "next to that Starbucks".

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2008,05:52   

Quote (guthrie @ May 22 2008,14:29)
Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ May 22 2008,12:27)

Are mini-dachsunds illegal in Pennsylvania and Ohio?

Given the number of breeders in each state, I sure hope not.

--------------

EyeNoU

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2008,07:14   

You are correct about Starbucks, Wes. In Houston they have two that are across the street from one another at the same intersection. There must be a strong demand for overpriced coffee in that area.........

fusilier

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2008,08:27   

Indianapolis, Indiana

Go fast, turn left.

Home of the latest Rape of The Taxpayer NFL stadium.

--------------
fusilier
James 2:24

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2008,08:41   

Quote (fusilier @ May 23 2008,08:27)
Indianapolis, Indiana

Go fast, turn left.

I was confused at first, but then I realized you must be referring to the Major Taylor Velodrome.   ;)

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2008,09:16   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ May 23 2008,11:31)
Half of everything is "opposite that Starbucks". The other half is "next to that Starbucks".

True true.

I'm reminded of Lewis Black's epic piece about the fact that he has discovered the end of the universe. I.e. that bit between two Starbucks facing each other on the same street.

Anyway, I'm off to Starbucks....

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2008,09:18   

Quote (Louis @ May 23 2008,04:16)
Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ May 23 2008,11:31)

True true.

I'm reminded of Lewis Black's epic piece about the fact that he has discovered the end of the universe. I.e. that bit between two Starbucks facing each other on the same street.

Anyway, I'm off to Starbucks....

Louis

What's Starbucks?

fusilier

(Permalink) Posted: May 23 2008,09:28   

Quote (carlsonjok @ May 23 2008,09:41)
Quote (fusilier @ May 23 2008,08:27)
Indianapolis, Indiana

Go fast, turn left.

I was confused at first, but then I realized you must be referring to the Major Taylor Velodrome.   ;)

Yep.

I've watched a few races there - but was a roadie, not a trackie when I had my USCF license.

OBTW, like J-Dog, I grew up in Toledo, OH.  Dunno if he's old enough to remember Tiedtke's, however.

--------------
fusilier
James 2:24

208 replies since May 20 2008,03:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]