RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (527) < ... 369 370 371 372 373 [374] 375 376 377 378 379 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 21 2019,12:26   

Quote (stevestory @ Jan. 20 2019,11:40)

Wtf does that even mean? I'm reminded of Swift's boiled egg heresy.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

KevinB

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 21 2019,14:33   

Quote (Henry J @ Jan. 20 2019,17:47)
Maybe some of them need to be changed? :p

Can we leave that chain of thought on the Joe G thread, please.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 21 2019,19:52   

Barry vaguely attacks Bill Nye, Bob asks what Nye supposedly said, Barry refuses to say and threatens him.

Bob O'H January 21, 2019 at 10:16 am
Thank you, Joe. That’s the post I referenced, the one that doesn’t quote Nye as saying anything about historical views on the size of the universe.

Barry Arrington January 21, 2019 at 11:51 am
Bob, if you are unable to draw obvious inferences there is not much I can do to help you. Move along.

Bob O'H January 21, 2019 at 12:52 pm
Barry, you could help me by pointing me to where Nye made these observations. I assume you have 30 seconds to spare to dig out a link.

Barry Arrington January 21, 2019 at 2:23 pm
Bob, which part of “move along” do you not understand?

I read the thread, I have no idea what barry is talking about.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 22 2019,07:27   

Quote (stevestory @ Jan. 21 2019,19:52)
Barry vaguely attacks Bill Nye, Bob asks what Nye supposedly said, Barry refuses to say and threatens him.

Bob O'H January 21, 2019 at 10:16 am
Thank you, Joe. That’s the post I referenced, the one that doesn’t quote Nye as saying anything about historical views on the size of the universe.

Barry Arrington January 21, 2019 at 11:51 am
Bob, if you are unable to draw obvious inferences there is not much I can do to help you. Move along.

Bob O'H January 21, 2019 at 12:52 pm
Barry, you could help me by pointing me to where Nye made these observations. I assume you have 30 seconds to spare to dig out a link.

Barry Arrington January 21, 2019 at 2:23 pm
Bob, which part of “move along” do you not understand?

I read the thread, I have no idea what barry is talking about.

What? You can't draw the obvious inferences from this? What sort of fool are you?

Seriously, I think Keas (linked to in the article ET links to) reads much more into what happened during an old Nye speech than actually happened, and Barry is then reading even more into Keas' article than is there.

The good news is that ba77 is back to aid the mouse repair industry.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 22 2019,08:44   

But the obvious inference is that Barry had been saying things he doesn't have support for.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 22 2019,19:03   

Hazel January 21, 2019 at 8:37 pm
OK, I watched the last of Nye’s speech. I didn’t think it was very good, but I don’t see any place where he said, or implied, that ancient people didn’t think that the universe was vast. Of course, he has a different perspective on the meaning of that fact than Christians do, and maybe he really thinks “religion sucks” (although that’s not what he said at all), but I don’t hear him saying anything about ““the ancients thought the universe was tiny” myth and the “the ancients thought the earth was flat””

So I agree with Bob that I don’t understand what prompted the OP.

Bob O'H January 22, 2019 at 2:59 am
Hazel – thanks for checking that out. I wonder if Keas was using “the artistic license to lie”.

Bornagain77 January 22, 2019 at 7:21 am
To continue on from posts 7 & 8 where I showed that both General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics have themselves now overturned the Copernican principle and/or the principle of mediocrity {450,000 more words...}

And after three people point out that barry's supposed obvious inference was completely unclear, dumbass Barry shows up and says people just should have googled what he meant, duh.

ID is the last refuge of the creationist scoundrel.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2019,03:36   

And after three people point out that barry's supposed obvious inference was completely unclear, dumbass Barry shows up and says people just should have googled what he meant, duh.
So I did
I’d prefer not to guess what you’re writing about. I could have googled, but if I google Bill Nye and “the ancients thought the universe was tiny”, I get 3 results: two point back to this page, and the third to Denyse’s twitter feed. If I google Bill Nye and “the ancients thought the earth was flat” I get the same 3 results, plus a link to a 2013 blog post with the title “Insults Do Not an Argument Make” that doesn’t mention Nye (his name crops up in a link). I’m afraid I’m having difficulty working out what I’m meant to google.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2019,10:40   

One of the reasons I read UD (and am somewhat perversely fascinated by it) is to see the psychology of both dogmatic belief and defensive tribalism at work. Barry has obviously made a complete mess of this thread about Nye, and yet my prediction is he will just keep digging and/or lash out (as he has already done) at Bob.

Weird.

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2019,15:49   

From that thread - john_a_designer to Bob O'H:

Bob,
Why are you so interested in a topic you don’t understand?

Bob's reply:

JAD – because I’d like to understand it? And the reason I didn’t understand it was because I hadn’t been presented with enough information, so the solution was to ask for more information.

Haha

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2019,18:22   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Jan. 23 2019,11:40)
One of the reasons I read UD (and am somewhat perversely fascinated by it) is to see the psychology of both dogmatic belief and defensive tribalism at work. Barry has obviously made a complete mess of this thread about Nye, and yet my prediction is he will just keep digging and/or lash out (as he has already done) at Bob.

Weird.

There are a number of pathological psychologies on display there. What makes batshit 77 cut and paste thousands and thousands of words everyday that almost certainly no one ever reads? Or that guy Dionisio, who posted hundreds of consecutive random things to an old dead thread? And Barry paying Denyse to news-aggregate 4 posts per day to give the site the appearance of energy and activity, even though ID bled out 13 years ago and the other ID blogs folded. And a dozen others.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 24 2019,12:32   

EDTA January 23, 2019 at 5:41 pm
On a closely-related note, I’ve always wondered (under the evolutionary paradigm) how our bodies ever got to the point where iodine, or other nutrients could make such a drastic difference in our health–if our ancestors _never_ had consistent access to those nutrients. Just occasional access to them wouldn’t seem to be sufficient to get our species trained to expect them. The vast majority of them weren’t even recognized as essential until the 20th century.

But under an ID paradigm, it’s easy to see that we could have been designed with a need for them, so once they became reliably available again, they quickly took us in the direction of our intended (i.e., healthier) state.

Bob O'H January 24, 2019 at 4:00 am
EDTA – what evidence do you have that humans didn’t used to have sufficient access to nutrients such as iodine?

ET January 24, 2019 at 7:14 am
Well, Bob, where would they have gotten those nutrients from? Do tell.

Bob O'H January 24, 2019 at 7:51 am
ET – their food.

ET January 24, 2019 at 7:57 am
Nice evasion, Bob. How did you conclude their food had all of the nutrients required?

Bob O'H January 24, 2019 at 8:38 am
Because a lot of people have and still do survive without suffering from a lack of nutrients by eating their food.
Hopefully EDTA will chime in to give us their evidence that humans didn’t used to have sufficient access to nutrients such as iodine.

ET January 24, 2019 at 8:47 am
Bob the clueless, strikes again.

anybody who lives within say a hundred miles of the shore, which is most of humanity, is getting enough iodine, because there's a shit ton of iodine in the ocean. Also anybody who lives where the land used to be covered by an ocean, is almost certainly getting enough iodine. Bob is 100% correct, and the creationists are as correct as they usually are.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 24 2019,15:31   

Not even zero? :-D

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2019,01:20   

Well, it goes against the general narrative here, but here’s a news story showing Barry not appearing to be a bigoted asshole in his non-UD life. In an article Jamiyl Brown Busted for Riding RTD Train While Black, Lawsuit Says from a Denver news site, it seems Barry is behind a lawsuit claiming local police acted in a racially prejudiced manner.
I know it's what the job demands and all that, but it's a credit to Barry, anyway, IMO.

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2019,12:01   

Quote (stevestory @ Jan. 24 2019,12:32)

EDTA January 23, 2019 at 5:41 pm
On a closely-related note, I’ve always wondered (under the evolutionary paradigm) how our bodies ever got to the point where iodine, or other nutrients could make such a drastic difference in our health–if our ancestors _never_ had consistent access to those nutrients. Just occasional access to them wouldn’t seem to be sufficient to get our species trained to expect them. The vast majority of them weren’t even recognized as essential until the 20th century.

But under an ID paradigm, it’s easy to see that we could have been designed with a need for them, so once they became reliably available again, they quickly took us in the direction of our intended (i.e., healthier) state.

Bob O'H January 24, 2019 at 4:00 am
EDTA – what evidence do you have that humans didn’t used to have sufficient access to nutrients such as iodine?

ET January 24, 2019 at 7:14 am
Well, Bob, where would they have gotten those nutrients from? Do tell.

Bob O'H January 24, 2019 at 7:51 am
ET – their food.

ET January 24, 2019 at 7:57 am
Nice evasion, Bob. How did you conclude their food had all of the nutrients required?

Bob O'H January 24, 2019 at 8:38 am
Because a lot of people have and still do survive without suffering from a lack of nutrients by eating their food.
Hopefully EDTA will chime in to give us their evidence that humans didn’t used to have sufficient access to nutrients such as iodine.

ET January 24, 2019 at 8:47 am
Bob the clueless, strikes again.

anybody who lives within say a hundred miles of the shore, which is most of humanity, is getting enough iodine, because there's a shit ton of iodine in the ocean. Also anybody who lives where the land used to be covered by an ocean, is almost certainly getting enough iodine. Bob is 100% correct, and the creationists are as correct as they usually are.

Isn't it obvious? Life requires nutrients so life must be designed. That is Joe-level stupid.

Lethean

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2019,14:15   

Eagerly awaiting EDTA's evidence-free notions on Vitamin C deficiency and broken genes in the apes lineage from within the "ID Paradigm"

At least he/she had the good sense to leave out the aquatic ape "theory" that is almost always the source of the but muh iodine assertions driven by incredulity. In this case it's Jesus, rather than humans living and screwing like otters in the ocean.

--------------
"So I'm a pretty unusual guy and it's not stupidity that has gotten me where I am. It's brilliance."

"My brain is one of the very few independent thinking brains that you've ever met. And that's a thing of wonder to you and since you don't understand it you criticize it."

~Dave Hawkins~

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2019,16:42   

God Help The Little Babies

Here is a picture of a baby being operated on before birth.  With advances in medical technology, this has become a fairly common procedure. Now, imagine the operating room is in New York.  In the operating room on the other side of the wall, a doctor could be hacking a practically identical baby to death.  […]

Posted on January 25, 2019 AuthorBarry Arrington Comment(0)

science all day err day

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2019,16:46   

Vmahuna January 25, 2019 at 2:57 pm
Come on. ALL modern humans who have hair color others than black and eye colors other than brown have Neanderthal ancestors. I have brown eyes, but BROWN hair. So I’m part Neanderthal. But my great-great-great…..grandparents buried their dead in graves and covered the bodies with flowers before they shoveled on the dirt. Where does the “not human” stuff come from?

Modern humans appeared POOF! without any ancestors. How the original Central African upright bipeds spun off European cousins with red hair is anybody’s guess. But that don’t matter. Them is us. Perhaps it was a slow day at the lab, and one of the techs said, “Hey, I just ginned up this like TOTALLY AWESOME dude with a left hook like the kick of a mule.” “Cool! But like the girls in the Valley of the Neander River still need to be awesome in a girl kinda way…” “Well, YEAH!”

These were Design projects. Don’t let the FAILURE of Descent with Modification get in the way.

what the shit is this shit

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2019,17:13   

Quote (stevestory @ Jan. 25 2019,16:46)
Come on. ALL modern humans who have hair color others than black and eye colors other than brown have Neanderthal ancestors. I have brown eyes, but BROWN hair. So I’m part Neanderthal. But my great-great-great…..grandparents buried their dead in graves and covered the bodies with flowers before they shoveled on the dirt. Where does the “not human” stuff come from?

Modern humans appeared POOF! without any ancestors. How the original Central African upright bipeds spun off European cousins with red hair is anybody’s guess. But that don’t matter. Them is us. Perhaps it was a slow day at the lab, and one of the techs said, “Hey, I just ginned up this like TOTALLY AWESOME dude with a left hook like the kick of a mule.” “Cool! But like the girls in the Valley of the Neander River still need to be awesome in a girl kinda way…” “Well, YEAH!”

These were Design projects. Don’t let the FAILURE of Descent with Modification get in the way.

Meth is a hell of a drug.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2019,18:28   

Quote (Texas Teach @ Jan. 25 2019,15:13)

Quote (stevestory @ Jan. 25 2019,16:46)

Meth is a hell of a drug.

"To get back to the warning that I received. You may take it with however many grains of salt that you wish. That the brown acid that is circulating around us isn't too good. It is suggested that you stay away from that. Of course it's your own trip. So be my guest, but please be advised that there is a warning on that one, ok?"

--------------

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2019,18:34   

If only there was some way to investigate where red hair comes from.. oh, wait:

It is most common in individuals homozygous for a recessive allele on chromosome 16 that produces an altered version of the MC1R protein.[1]

--------------

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2019,23:35   

Batshitcrazy77 to Hazel
FYI, I don’t play word games with atheists and will just as soon see you banned rather than play stupid word games with you.

He is nothing if not predictable.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2019,23:43   

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ Jan. 26 2019,00:35)
Batshitcrazy77 to Hazel
FYI, I don’t play word games with atheists and will just as soon see you banned rather than play stupid word games with you.

He is nothing if not predictable.

BS77 is a dumb piece of shit garbage person.

But they keep him around for all his science research:

Bornagain77 January 25, 2019 at 5:33 pm
A few quotes:

Hillary Clinton is Wrong: OBGYN Says Abortion is Never Necessary to Save the Life of the Mother – MICAIAH BILGER OCT 24, 2016
Dr. Lawrence Koning, an OB-GYN in Corona, California, said Clinton also is wrong about late-term abortions being necessary to save a woman’s life or health, according to Christian News Network....

And then et shows up and compares abortion and global warming, because also complete idiot.  :D  :p  :)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2019,23:50   

Here in 2019, only the highest-quality science websites can illuminate cutting-edge research about...Hillary Clinton's abortion policy.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 25 2019,23:54   

We should try to get Gordon into QAnon.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2019,00:03   

Bornagain77 January 25, 2019 at 9:24 pm
Morality and atheism have nothing to do with your question or with you?

Okie Dokie, I can see honesty will not be forthcoming.

Hazel January 25, 2019 at 10:11 pm
Weird response, but obviously not much point in trying to understand.

BAN THEM! BAN THEM ALL!!!!

I'll be sad when UD is nothing but Kairosfocus and batshit babbling into the void, and the ads just aren't worth it anymore, and Barry pulls the plug. It'll be the end of an era.

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2019,00:51   

Quote (stevestory @ Jan. 25 2019,22:03)

I'll be sad when UD is nothing but Kairosfocus and batshit babbling into the void, and the ads just aren't worth it anymore, and Barry pulls the plug. It'll be the end of an era.

I'm looking forward to reading Barry's declaration of victory.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2019,01:41   

Quote (stevestory @ Jan. 25 2019,22:03)

I'll be sad when UD is nothing but Kairosfocus and batshit babbling into the void, and the ads just aren't worth it anymore, and Barry pulls the plug. It'll be the end of an era error.

FTFY

--------------

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2019,11:32   

Quote (fnxtr @ Jan. 25 2019,18:34)

It is most common in individuals homozygous for a recessive allele on chromosome 16 that produces an altered version of the MC1R protein.[1]

But what about red herrings? Where do they come from?

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2019,12:05   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Jan. 26 2019,10:32)

Fish eggs?

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 26 2019,14:01   

Quote (Jkrebs @ Jan. 26 2019,11:32)

They rise from the ashes of burning strawmen.

15792 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (527) < ... 369 370 371 372 373 [374] 375 376 377 378 379 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]