RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Professor Smith, I'm not a Dr, but I play one on TV< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2007,17:38   

Here's a creationist blog whose owner, Professor Smith,  presents him/herself as follows:

First post (crossed fingers)

Hello everyone! I’m new to this so I hope everything goes well. Welcome to Professor Smith’s Weblog. First things first. Who am I? I’m a researcher at a middle-size public university on the Eastern seaboard. I am choosing to remain anonymous right now because politics is rife in academia. Until I get tenure I’d rather people not hold my political opinions against me. I am particularly sensitive about this because I support Intelligent Design science and trust me, that is considered totally beyond-the-pale among the scientific orthodoxy. But I think we’re witnessing the birth of a new science right now and it’s important to support it–and just downright interesting! How often does one see a new science come along? I will post items of note here, and I hope to inspire challenging discussion among other Intelligent Design supporters.

The blog hasn't yet attracted too many admirers apart from our own J-Dog and yours truly.  If you pay a visit now, you'll have a chance to observe a bannination in progress.  Needless to say, I've already been banned.

Enjoy!

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2007,17:51   

To give you an idea of the scientific level, I'll point out this recent gem:

Milk Genes

I was thinking about lactose tolerance the other day and managed to scrounge up an article that I had remembered reading.  This article relates the findings that lactose tolerance is something that evolved in humans rather recently.

The findings supports the idea that milk drinkers became widespread in Europe only after dairy farming had become established there—not the other way around.

This has been a contentious issue for some time now, about how/when lactose tolerance came about.  The new findings support that lactose tolerance came about after dairy farming was established, and this presents a tough problem for evolution.  Why would humans undertake dairy farming if they couldn’t actually eat/drink dairy products?  This question alone is enough to dispel the evolutionary hypothesis.  If, however, we were designed to drink milk, then it is only natural that we would search for other milk sources that we could utilize.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2007,18:04   

Quote (olegt @ Dec. 31 2007,17:38)
Here's a creationist blog whose owner, Professor Smith,  presents him/herself as follows:

He is a commenter over at UD, too. If I remember correctly he was the one who dismissed the amazing story behind the prediction of where Tiktaalik would be found by saying "well, they just looked near water."  As if they just started digging at some random stream in someone's backyard.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

someotherguy

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2007,18:05   

Has he given any indication at either his blog or UD as to what he researches?

--------------
Evolander in training

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2007,18:06   

Quote (someotherguy @ Dec. 31 2007,18:05)

He searches for jebus in teh fracterial blagella.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2007,19:53   

No.  He agreed with me that he is not a physicist.  The following mind-boggling passage makes it clear that Prof. Smith is not a biologist, either:

One of the less credible evolutionary stories is the supposed transition from dinosaurs to birds.  Darwinists tell us that dinosaurs didn’t die out, they simply evolved into birds with feathers and flight.  This, of course, is highly controversial and hotly debated, and rightfully so, since the evidence of this transition is highly suspect and very thin.

He/she is also not a chemist as chemists don't capitalize the names of chemical compounds:

From thread Common Design and DNA (Part III).

The language of DNA - Adenine (A), Thymine (T), Guanine (G), and Cytosine ( C) - can be thought of as the ones and zeros that make your computer run, just in base 4 instead of binary and using letters instead of numbers.

And, oh, that "letters instead of numbers" gem is a good indication he/she is not a computer scientist.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2007,21:06   

Quote (olegt @ Dec. 31 2007,17:38)

First post (crossed fingers)

Hello everyone! I’m new to this so I hope everything goes well. Welcome to Professor Smith’s Weblog. First things first. Who am I? I’m a researcher at a middle-size public university on the Eastern seaboard. I am choosing to remain anonymous right now because politics is rife in academia. Until I get tenure I’d rather people not hold my political opinions against me. I am particularly sensitive about this because I support Intelligent Design science and trust me, that is considered totally beyond-the-pale among the scientific orthodoxy. But I think we’re witnessing the birth of a new science right now and it’s important to support it–and just downright interesting! How often does one see a new science come along? I will post items of note here, and I hope to inspire challenging discussion among other Intelligent Design supporters.

The blog hasn't yet attracted too many admirers apart from our own J-Dog and yours truly.  If you pay a visit now, you'll have a chance to observe a bannination in progress.  Needless to say, I've already been banned.

Enjoy!

Thanks - Yeah - I was trying to get my sock puppet some ID street Cred by posting at an ID friendly site, but it got to be very difficult to maintain the seperate identities.

I finally realized that to be a good little ID poster, it would be really helpful to be a believer like BA77, DaveScot, Denyse, Dr. Bill or ftk, and I really didn't want to spend the years in therapy necessary to maintain that fiction, and then try to get back to a normal thinking pattern.  

Happy new year all -

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2007,21:11   

I have a feeling the good professor is going to be fun.

ETA:  Has anyone coined "Tardutainment" yet?

Edited by Lou FCD on Dec. 31 2007,22:12

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Mister DNA

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2007,21:23   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Dec. 31 2007,21:11)

You might wanna check with the legal dep't at Fox News before using it.

--------------
CBEB's: The Church Burnin' Ebola Blog
Thank you, Dr. Dembski. You are without peer when it comes to The Argument Regarding Design. - vesf

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2007,21:36   

Quote (olegt @ Dec. 31 2007,19:53)

No.  He agreed with me that he is not a physicist.  The following mind-boggling passage makes it clear that Prof. Smith is not a biologist, either:

One of the less credible evolutionary stories is the supposed transition from dinosaurs to birds.  Darwinists tell us that dinosaurs didn’t die out, they simply evolved into birds with feathers and flight.  This, of course, is highly controversial and hotly debated, and rightfully so, since the evidence of this transition is highly suspect and very thin.

He/she is also not a chemist as chemists don't capitalize the names of chemical compounds:

The language of DNA - Adenine (A), Thymine (T), Guanine (G), and Cytosine ( C) - can be thought of as the ones and zeros that make your computer run, just in base 4 instead of binary and using letters instead of numbers.

And, oh, that "letters instead of numbers" gem is a good indication he/she is not a computer scientist.

Or a mathematician. All mathematicians understand what it means to be in base 2 vs base 4, and would commit seppuku before they'd say anything that imprecise, computer scientist or no.

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

Coyote

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2007,21:38   

I submitted the following, but it is "awaiting moderation" so don't expect to see it:

The problem with ID is that it is simply not science. Its origins are clearly religious, and in fact, a particularly narrow segment of religious belief.

ID came into renewed vogue after the Edwards v. Aguillard decision by the U.S. Supreme Court, which banned creation “science” from the schools.

Failing to make the grade as a science, ID has been promoted, largely by the Discovery Institute and its herd of lawyers, PR flaks, English majors, journalists and other “scientists.”

Their whole sordid scheme was leaked nearly ten years ago — the notorious Wedge Strategy, but they have continued to follow the plan, pushing ID in the media instead of in the technical scientific journals. The reason? They don’t qualify for the scientific journals because they don’t follow the scientific method. Invoking an unnamed, unverified, and unverifiable deity as the source for natural phenomena is about as anti-scientific as you can get.

And if you, professor, are a closet IDer, hiding your anti-science beliefs until you get tenure, you are following the Wedge Strategy to a “T”. And, in my opinion, being dishonest.

Any affiliation or contact with the Discovery Institute you would like to tell us about? Are you one of their tame Fellows or something?

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2007,22:24   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Dec. 31 2007,22:11)

Dibs on "errortainment."

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2007,22:28   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Dec. 31 2007,22:24)

Dibs on "errortainment."

search says it's already in the UD discussion thread.

You Creobotty pubjacker, you!

*Unless you were making fun of a chineses saying entertainment. You bad homo bigot, you.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2007,23:52   

Why would humans undertake dairy farming if they couldn?t actually eat/drink dairy products?

If I were to take a guess, I'd guess that humans undertook cattle farming. Initially for the meat.

Henry

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2008,00:33   

As teh google is empty, I'm claiming coinage on that, Creative Commons, no commercial, attribution license.

I had something funny to say, but I forgot and I'm blaming the wine.

Just laugh and pretend it was funny.  It involved large farm animals and sex.

ETA: ...and Reciprocating Bill.

Edited by Lou FCD on Jan. 01 2008,01:35

--------------

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2008,04:15   

Why would humans undertake dairy farming if they couldn?t actually eat/drink dairy products?

Perhaps because mature cheese contains very little lactose?  In addition to simply eating the critters, as was mentioned above?

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2008,07:16   

Quote (Annyday @ Dec. 31 2007,22:36)
Quote (olegt @ Dec. 31 2007,19:53)

Or a mathematician. All mathematicians understand what it means to be in base 2 vs base 4, and would commit seppuku before they'd say anything that imprecise, computer scientist or no.

He's (or she?) is probably a professor of eating cheetos in his (her?) mom's basement.  What if this prof. Smith actually learned to eat cheetos from the master DT?  In that case, his (her?) tard fu might be very strong.

ERV

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2008,08:55   

I know this person.  They had a different blog before and linked to me... lemme do some hunting to see if I can find the old site.

1of63

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2008,09:06   

Dibs on "errortainment."

Dibs on "errortainment."

Ditto on "entertardment".

--------------
I set expectations at zero, and FL limbos right under them. - Tracy P. Hamilton

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2008,09:17   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Dec. 31 2007,23:28)

Dibs on "errortainment."

search says it's already in the UD discussion thread.

You Creobotty pubjacker, you!

*Unless you were making fun of a chineses saying entertainment. You bad homo bigot, you.

Yeah, but that was me!

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2008,10:47   

Quote (ERV @ Jan. 01 2008,08:55)
I know this person.  They had a different blog before and linked to me... lemme do some hunting to see if I can find the old site.

I'm guessing you don't mean this person:
http://professorsmith.vox.com/

Bob

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2008,11:00   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Jan. 01 2008,11:47)

Bob

So prof. Smith is some high school chick?

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2008,11:05   

Quote (GCT @ Jan. 01 2008,12:00)
Quote (Bob O'H @ Jan. 01 2008,11:47)

Bob

So prof. Smith is some high school chick?

(S)He doesn't read like a high schooler.

But (s)he is apparently familiar with JanieBelle (and not in the Biblical sense).

Well that spoiled a little fun...

:angry:

ETA: Let's see what happens when Janie pokes the professor with a stick.

Edited by Lou FCD on Jan. 01 2008,12:11

--------------

ERV

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2008,11:24   

Sorry oleg.  Same person and same blog, they just dont have an archive in the side-bar.  Thought I would have been able to find more info for ya.

From Ian Ramjohns blog:

Not a Fair Fight - “Professor Smith”, a “researcher at a middle-size public university on the Eastern seaboard” and ID supporter, attacks Abbie and the rest of “the materialists” for “attacking en masse with underhanded comments and ambushes“. It appears that “Professor Smith” didn’t bother to delve too deeply into the facts of the matter (”He was invited to speak, although the accounts that I’ve read make it sound more like an ambush“) before attacking Abbie for, among other things “underhanded tactic of poisoning the well by attacking the commenters on Dembski’s blog“. She’s invited to discuss the matter at UD, gets banned after three comments, attacked there, attacked at her blog…and dear old “Professor Smith” calls it “underhand” and “well poisoning” to mention that fact. He continues “So, either he censures comments and is criticized for hiding, or he doesn’t and is criticized for what others say?” I sure hope that Smith is simply speaking out of an ignorance he couldn’t be bothered to correct. Anyone who knows anything about UD knows that (a) they delete comments and ban participants who disagree with them; and (b) the people who attacked Abbie are the people Dembski picked to manage the blog. His final sentence is especially amusing: “It should be about science, but when you don’t have science on your side, you have to resort to something, right?” Umm, yeah, that’s pretty much how the IDists operate: since they have yet to come up with a single scientific contribution, they engage in obfuscation, misdirection and smear campaigns. Projection on the part of “Professor Smith”?

That last comment was especially funny since my question to Dembski in the Q&A was "If youve got so much science on your side, why do you need to attack students like this?"

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2008,11:31   

So the guy (girl) is really a professor (and a he?), or just full of crap engaging in a little street theatre?  

Has that been determined?

--------------

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2008,11:41   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Jan. 01 2008,12:31)
So the guy (girl) is really a professor (and a he?), or just full of crap engaging in a little street theatre?  

Has that been determined?

There's no way that chick is a professor.

Doc Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2008,11:52   

Not a very smart professor, although smart for a creationist professor.

Picture this:  ID supporting professor awaiting tenure.  Shhhhhh, must maintain low pwofile.  Iz be hunted by darwinists.  So, what's the best way to lay low?  Open up a blog on the Internet!  Shake those breadcrumbs everywhere!  Use reverse creation psychology.  Deh neveh finds me.

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2008,12:31   

ERV, it's likely that I, too, first learned about professorsmith from Ian's post.  

GCT, I have observed professorsmith for a while and I strongly doubt that he/she is a faculty member anywhere.  His/her view of academia packed with scheming materialists is such a bad caricature that I can't help laughing.  

Take this description of his/her regular lunches with a colleague.
I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.

Dr. R. has reasserted himself, this time not so pleasantly. I am supposing he didn’t enjoy being pressed the way I pressed him during our last meeting - and especially being compelled to admit so many shortcomings in his world-view, and even confess a need for faith. I suppose once alone he felt faintly embarrassed by the whole thing. Or perhaps he got with materialist colleagues who bucked up his materialist resolve. Whatever, he came at me with guns blazing today. We talked until after the restaurant had cleared. Most of his assertions themselves were articles of faith really, although he pressed them as though they were gold plated facts. I had my hands full.

Really?  Faculty rarely go for lunch to a restaurant for no particular reason (such as to treat a visitor).  University cafeteria, maybe.  And we don't sit around arguing until the restaurant had cleared: it's noon and there's work to do!  

But professorsmith seems to have a lot of time on his/her hands.  Check out the regular Dog Sunday feature on that blog.  Time stamps on photographs featured in those posts show that he/she can afford to ditch work and spend a couple of hours.  In the woods.  At midday on a Wednesday.  In the middle of a semester!

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2008,12:35   

Quote (olegt @ Jan. 01 2008,13:31)
But professorsmith seems to have a lot of time on his/her hands.  Check out the regular Dog Sunday feature on that blog.  Time stamps on photographs featured in those posts show that he/she can afford to ditch work and spend a couple of hours.  In the woods.  At midday on a Wednesday.  In the middle of a semester!

While I was at Marshall, I had a teacher who only taught during the day on M/W/F, and on T/Th only taught evening classes.

Admittedly, she was not a full professor, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Just sayin'.

--------------

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 01 2008,12:45   

Lou, this is a guy/gal who claims to be a researcher three years from tenure.  An assistant prof is supposed to be working his/her ass off teaching, working in the lab, writing papers, getting grants and supervising grad students.  Spending a couple of hours with dogs at midday usually doesn't fit in this schedule.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

153 replies since Dec. 31 2007,17:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]