RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (121) < ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... >   
  Topic: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed., Sternberg, Gonzalez, Crocker - A film< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,10:33   

So… Does Ben Stein have cancer? Or does someone close to him have it? :O This is beginning to look like a “They’re suppressing alternative cures”/”My kid got autism from mercury in drugs and they’re all covering it up” kind of a phenomenon – a hyperbolic fight extrapolated from a personal tragedy.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

dogdidit

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,10:54   

Quote (Kristine @ April 23 2008,10:33)
So… Does Ben Stein have cancer? Or does someone close to him have it? :O This is beginning to look like a “They’re suppressing alternative cures”/”My kid got autism from mercury in drugs and they’re all covering it up” kind of a phenomenon – a hyperbolic fight extrapolated from a personal tragedy.

No, I think this particular hobby horse is being ridden by Walt Ruloff, the Executive Producer (i.e. it was his money, not Ben's) and Chief Conspiracy Theorist of Expelled. The suppressed cancer cure story is to scare the rubes.

--------------
"Humans carry plants and animals all over the globe, thus introducing them to places they could never have reached on their own. That certainly increases biodiversity." - D'OL

themadlolscientist

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,11:12   

He's a pundit?

[H]e needed to earn more than his $168,000 White House salary. "I ran out of money," said Snow....

o noes! his harblz iz showin! (Arden, you tewtally RAWK!)

(BTW, Revelation almost didn't make it into the Bible. I can't help thinking the world would have been much better off if it hadn't.)

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,11:26   

Quote (themadlolscientist @ April 23 2008,12:12)
He's a pundit?

[H]e needed to earn more than his $168,000 White House salary. "I ran out of money," said Snow....

o noes! his harblz iz showin! (Arden, you tewtally RAWK!)

(BTW, Revelation almost didn't make it into the Bible. I can't help thinking the world would have been much better off if it hadn't.)

Deja vu?

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,11:47   

Good article.

Great TARD in the comments.

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,12:12   

Cameron sets us all straight once and for all:

If Evolution were true and ID were not, we wouldn’t even have scientific theories. To have a plausible theory you must first be able to do science. Science requires an observer (who uses the laws of logic). It makes no sense to have a theory which says “people evolved from non-intelligence, to then have intelligence, and happen to come up with theories”.

--------------

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,13:46   

Quote (Lou FCD @ April 23 2008,09:47)
Good article.

My favorite part:

sarah - April 23, 2008:

What’s worse is when you go back further than the monkey…everything came out of slim. So is that how much you are worth….are you worth only slim?

Slim...Shady?  Fast?  Trimspa? What?

There's a good idiom lurking in there, though: "Whatever, man. That shit goes back further than the monkey."

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,13:55   

[quote=didymos,April 23 2008,11:46][/quote]
Holy crap.  Her blog rules!  It's got a  cover of "Amazing Grace" for theme music, with (apparently) guest star Kenny G, no comments whatsoever, and this post:

Do You Hate Jesus?  Posted by: sarah-luvvom | June 23, 2007

Click here if you hate Jesus.

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,14:04   

Slim Pickens...

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,14:06   

Quote (didymos @ April 23 2008,13:46)
Good article.

My favorite part:

sarah - April 23, 2008:

What’s worse is when you go back further than the monkey…everything came out of slim. So is that how much you are worth….are you worth only slim?

Slim...Shady?  Fast?  Trimspa? What?

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,14:08   

Good article.

What about it, Lou? Are you worth only slim? You God-hater, you!
:angry:

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,14:08   

I stand corrected:  she has 28 comments.

--------------

paragwinn

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,14:12   

"Whatever, man. That shit goes back further than the monkey."

Hey, that's no way to refer to the Lawgiver. Without him, humans and apes wouldn't be living in peace and harmony.

oh....wait...paging Dr. Zira...

--------------
All women build up a resistance [to male condescension]. Apparently, ID did not predict that. -Kristine 4-19-11
F/Ns to F/Ns to F/Ns etc. The whole thing is F/N ridiculous -Seversky on KF footnote fetish 8-20-11
Sigh. Really Bill? - Barry Arrington

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,14:36   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ April 23 2008,15:08)
Good article.

What about it, Lou? Are you worth only slim? You God-hater, you!
:angry:

I must confess, I'm probably worth less than Slim, Slim, or Slim, by a great deal.

--------------

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,14:37   

OK, I'm tenatively calling bullshit on something, but don't know if it really is.  The next-to-latest DI "blog" posting claims that Guillermo Gonzales invented the concept of the Galactic Habitable Zone, as part of their ongoing "he wuz teh ekspelldz.  He can haz tenur?" campaign. As far as I know, he's just a proponent, and maybe introduced the term, as best I can tell, right?

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,14:45   

Tho of course Dembski will say that this was all part of their fiendishly clever Master Plan.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

themadlolscientist

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,14:53   

[quote=Lou FCD,April 23 2008,11:26][/quote]

Deja vu?

Sorry. Stinkin' Verizon choked again!

OK, to atone for my ISP's sins, I'll post something original:

John says.... Sorry, I'm new to iB code. When I tried to embed the picture itself, I kept getting errors.

Edited by Lou FCD on April 23 2008,15:57

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,14:57   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ April 23 2008,14:45)
Tho of course Dembski will say that this was all part of their fiendishly clever Master Plan.

I think I found the ID movements playbook.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,14:58   

There you go.

Just push the "image" button, and paste in the URL.

--------------

Reginald Beasley

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,15:01   

Quote (themadlolscientist @ April 23 2008,14:53)
Quote (Lou FCD @ April 23 2008,11:26)

Deja vu?

John says.... Sorry, I'm new to iB code. When I tried to embed the picture itself, I kept getting errors.

The lawsuit is here!

Yoko sues!

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,15:02   

Quote (didymos @ April 23 2008,15:37)
OK, I'm tenatively calling bullshit on something, but don't know if it really is.  The next-to-latest DI "blog" posting claims that Guillermo Gonzales invented the concept of the Galactic Habitable Zone, as part of their ongoing "he wuz teh ekspelldz.  He can haz tenur?" campaign. As far as I know, he's just a proponent, and maybe introduced the term, as best I can tell, right?

This 2006 Paper On the “Galactic Habitable Zone” by Nikos Prantzos (.pdf) has these references:

9. Gonzalez, G. (1997), MNRAS, 285:403-412
10. Gonzalez, G. (2005), Origins of Life and Evolution of Biospheres, 35:555-606
11. Gonzalez, G., Brownlee, D., Ward, P. (2001), Icarus, 152: 185-200

That should get you started looking...

Edited by Lou FCD on April 23 2008,16:04

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,15:08   

From that .pdf I just linked:

Habitability on a larger scale was considered a few years ago, by Gonzalez et al. (2001) who introduced the concept of Galactic Habitable Zone (GHZ).

Edited by Lou FCD on April 23 2008,16:08

--------------

dogdidit

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,15:22   

Quote (Reginald Beasley @ April 23 2008,15:01)

The lawsuit is here!

Yoko sues!

Hint: before posting, check upthread to see if Arden Chatfield has beaten you to it.
:angry:  :angry:  :angry:

--------------
"Humans carry plants and animals all over the globe, thus introducing them to places they could never have reached on their own. That certainly increases biodiversity." - D'OL

Quidam

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,15:27   

http://uk.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUKN2320158220080423
Yoko sues filmmakers over "Imagine"

Yoko Ono, son, Sean Ono Lennon, and Julian Lennon, John Lennon's son from his first marriage, along with privately held publisher EMI Blackwood Music Inc filed suit in U.S. District Court in Manhattan seeking to bar the filmmakers and their distributors from continuing to use "Imagine" in the movie.

They are also seeking unspecified damages.

--------------
The organized fossils ... and their localities also, may be understood by all, even the most illiterate. William Smith, Strata. 1816

Quidam

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,15:29   

Oh whoops - should have refreshed the page before posting.

Mea Tard

--------------
The organized fossils ... and their localities also, may be understood by all, even the most illiterate. William Smith, Strata. 1816

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,15:32   

Well, it's easy to get excited when you've got what you believe to be a scoop in your hands.

We've all done it, don't sweat it.

You've got to be quick around here.

--------------

Reginald Beasley

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,15:34   

Quote (dogdidit @ April 23 2008,15:22)

The lawsuit is here!

Yoko sues!

Hint: before posting, check upthread to see if Arden Chatfield has beaten you to it.

He should have been more clear about it!  I did a quick search for "Yoko" and "sue" and got all excited.

I still have the first non-subtle scoop of Yoko suing, I still win the 40 dollars :P

dogdidit

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,15:52   

Quote (Reginald Beasley @ April 23 2008,15:34)

Quote (dogdidit @ April 23 2008,15:22)

The lawsuit is here!

Yoko sues!

He should have been more clear about it!  I did a quick search for "Yoko" and "sue" and got all excited.

I still have the first non-subtle scoop of Yoko suing, I still win the 40 dollars :p

I think it was a bottle of single malt but either way, mazel tov! :)

Tom

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,15:54   

Quote (Kristine @ April 23 2008,11:33)
So… Does Ben Stein have cancer? Or does someone close to him have it?

I'm thinking Nixon had a cancer on his presidency. And Stein was there too.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2008,16:06   

Quote (CeilingCat @ April 23 2008,02:52)

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ April 22 2008,20:30)
Has the Trinity Broadcasting Network interview with Ben Stein been posted yet?  Watch it here

Click on the April 21st edisode of Behind the Scenes with Paul Crouch Jr (I guess he's the son of the crazy woman with crazy big hair).

Did anybody else's Gaydar go off as soon as Paul Crouch Jr. started talking?  Mark my words, we're going to hear about this boy someday.

Gaydar, yes, and something else:

Paul Crouch, Jr. leads Dallas area-based Trinity Broadcasting Network, which televises many leading evangelists. He has written a letter to J. Lee Grady of Charisma magazine, and in it he argues that Sen. Chuck Grassley's probe of six leading ministries, including some of the preaching stars of TBN, is potentially "devastating" to religious freedom.

He also rips Ole Anthony of Trinity Foundation, a Dallas-based group that has long been a watchdog of televangelists. Click here for the letter.
After finally getting over my shock at J. Lee Grady’s editorial blah, blah... I see that Mr. Grady is once again heading into treacherous waters. His recent editorial about U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley’s call for an investigation of the finances of several prominent television ministries is something that could not only harm the church as we know it today, but the body of Christ as a whole. blah blah... Put aside your personal opinions about any of the six ministries being targeted, and forget how you feel about Christian television as a whole. The much bigger questions we should all be asking are: Do we want the government deciding anything when it comes to the faith we all hold dear? Should government be allowed to dictate what kind a car a minister can drive, or how large a house is permissible and even how much a minister may receive as a salary?   Do we want to establish another Church of England, or was that why our forefathers came to this nation in the first place? Separation of church and state is a foundational principle guaranteed in our Constitution, and Mr. Grady’s editorial seems to be ignorant of that fact! [Gee, they want separation now]

Also, let’s look at the “source” of Senator Grassley’s information. blah blah... (Read a book by Wendy Duncan called, I Can’t Hear God Anymore. Enough said….) Why Ole mainly focuses in on “televangelism” is interesting to me, and blah blah...What about the Catholic church, Jewish organizations, or even the Muslims? You get my point, blah, blah...

I leave you with a quote from Martin Niemoeller who was a prominent German pastor put in a concentration camp by the Nazis in 1937: first they came for the blah, blah...

Another Godwin's Law gadfly.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

3612 replies since Aug. 12 2007,07:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (121) < ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]