RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (501) < ... 389 390 391 392 393 [394] 395 396 397 398 399 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 3, The Beast Marches On...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,16:19   

Quote (didymos @ April 10 2011,16:04)
Gordon has actually, *literally* resorted to "Were you there?".  Of course, being Gordon, he had to add some padding:

Indium:

Were you there to know?

Do you have credible, contemporaneous records that will pass the ancient documents rule test?

Where also: “correlation is not causation.”

Do you appreciate the difference between a model of the past as filtered through the prevalent schools of thought and the real past?

And, do you see the significant parallels to other related topics where your side of the main issue is selectively very skeptical on much stronger correlations and KNOWN causal patterns?

GEM of TKI

Gordon, this is *not* a good tactic for someone like you. Although, since you're an inveterate hypocrite, it's not an unexpected tactic.

ETA:  damn. ninja'd.

Sunday school bully with a dictionary.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,16:59   

LOL.  Gordon thinks UD is "a high traffic blog that has to deal with continual spamming attacks", and that's why his true name must not be revealed there.

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,18:11   

Quote (Woodbine @ April 10 2011,14:23)
Quote (Seversky @ April 10 2011,18:23)

Quote (Bob O'H @ April 10 2011,12:02)
Darth Vader's TIE fighter:

<o>

Starship Enterprise

o===o
  \ ! /
   ( )

Dembscii.

post of the quart!

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,18:26   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,April 10 2011,18:11)

<o>

Starship Enterprise

o===o
  \ ! /
   ( )

Dembscii.

post of the quart!

Agreed.

T'was intelligently designed.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,18:37   

Weird.  A GilDo post that seemingly defies Dodgenation:  

So powerful has been Darwinian indoctrination that it leads some people to become completely irrational, even people who are thoroughly rational in other ways. Natural selection created both selfishness and altruism, and it created parents who protect their children at risk to their own lives, but also parents who train their children to commit suicide.

No matter what the scenario — selfishness, altruism, self-preservation, suicide — natural selection selected them all to perpetuate our selfish genes. What a wonderful, all-encompassing “theory” that explains everything, but how utterly ridiculous.

And yet, it's still completely unoriginal and tedious.

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,19:03   

Quote (didymos @ April 10 2011,18:37)

So powerful has been Darwinian indoctrination that it leads some people to become completely irrational, even people who are thoroughly rational in other ways. Natural selection created both selfishness and altruism, and it created parents who protect their children at risk to their own lives, but also parents who train their children to commit suicide.

No matter what the scenario — selfishness, altruism, self-preservation, suicide — natural selection selected them all to perpetuate our selfish genes. What a wonderful, all-encompassing “theory” that explains everything, but how utterly ridiculous.

And still he fails to understand the concepts he rails against.  

The instinct that leads parents to sacrifice their lives for their children is arguably a product of natural selection.  Those parents who train their children to commit suicide are driven by a pernicious cultural influence - specifically religion.

The weird thing is that Gil continues to worship a God who, by the testimony of his faith's own scripture, is capable of inflicting the most awful cruelty, suffering and death on the creatures he is supposed to love above all things.  That's some powerful need for a father/protector figure.

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,19:04   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ April 10 2011,18:11)

<o>

Starship Enterprise

o===o
  \ ! /
   ( )

Dembscii.

post of the quart!

Seconded!

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,19:18   

Quote (Seversky @ April 11 2011,12:03)

The instinct that leads parents to sacrifice their lives for their children is arguably a product of natural selection.  Those parents who train their children to commit suicide are driven by a pernicious cultural influence - specifically religion.

The weird thing is that Gil continues to worship a God who, by the testimony of his faith's own scripture, is capable of inflicting the most awful cruelty, suffering and death on the creatures he is supposed to love above all things.  That's some powerful need for a father/protector figure.

And he sees no need at all for intelligent design to explain such things.

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,20:25   

<o>

Starship Enterprise

o===o
  \ ! /
   ( )

Dembscii.

Done.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,20:29   

Quote (Lou FCD @ April 10 2011,20:25)

<o>

Starship Enterprise

o===o
  \ ! /
   ( )

Dembscii.

Done.

That would a great CSI test....  :D

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,20:33   

Were you there? part 2:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/human-e....-376652

With added CAPS and asymmetric application ('cause he wasn't there during biblical times)

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,20:34   

Quote (Ptaylor @ April 10 2011,20:18)

...but of course he couldn't avoid the Dodgenator forever:

GilDodgen

04/10/2011

7:06 pm

How would Intelligent Design explain the scenarios you describe?

From my perspective as a former militant atheist: Made in the image of God, but in a fallen state.

This is what makes most sense to me from what I observe, and that is why I converted from Dawkins-style militant atheism to Christianity.

This also comes from reflection concerning my own personal nature. I am not “basically good,” and this should be obvious to anyone who is honest with himself. Any honest person will recognize his fallen state, and admit that within his own power he has no possibility of overcoming it.

The question is not, Why do people do evil? This is our fallen nature and comes naturally. The essential question is, Why do some people do good?

Goodness, honesty, and selflessness are an aberration.

ETA: E1, flirting with an E2

Edited by Lou FCD on April 10 2011,21:37

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,20:42   

Quote (Lou FCD @ April 10 2011,20:34)
Quote (Ptaylor @ April 10 2011,20:18)

...but of course he couldn't avoid the Dodgenator forever:

GilDodgen

04/10/2011

7:06 pm

How would Intelligent Design explain the scenarios you describe?

From my perspective as a former militant atheist: Made in the image of God, but in a fallen state.

This is what makes most sense to me from what I observe, and that is why I converted from Dawkins-style militant atheism to Christianity.

This also comes from reflection concerning my own personal nature. I am not “basically good,” and this should be obvious to anyone who is honest with himself. Any honest person will recognize his fallen state, and admit that within his own power he has no possibility of overcoming it.

The question is not, Why do people do evil? This is our fallen nature and comes naturally. The essential question is, Why do some people do good?

Goodness, honesty, and selflessness are an aberration.

ETA: E1, flirting with an E2

So ID's description is ....God. Wedge that!

--------------

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,21:54   

Quote (didymos @ April 10 2011,16:09)
Also, I really want to know WTF Gordon thinks some *legal* principle about a particular exception to the hearsay rule has to do with dating methods.

Especially since his "ancient documents rules test" merely establishes that the document in question actually is ancient.  It says nothing about whether it's truthful.  

A copy of "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" might be established as dating to 1903, but the test would certainly not establish its accuracy.

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,22:20   

Never mind

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,22:25   

Quote (olegt @ April 10 2011,22:20)
Never mind

*winks*  ;)

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,22:26   

vjtorley continues to astound all readers with his thought processes:  
Here’s the idea behind J. Richard Gott’s reasoning, in his own words:

In 1969, after graduating from Harvard but before starting further study in astro-physics at Princeton University, I took a summer holiday in Europe and visited the Berlin Wall. It was the height of the Cold War, and the wall was then eight years old. Standing in it ominous shadow, I began to wonder how long it would last. Having no special knowledge of East-West relations, I hadn’t much to go on. But I hit on a curious way to estimate the wall’s likely lifetime knowing only its age.

I reasoned, first of all, that there was nothing special about my visit. That is, I didn’t come to see the wall being erected or demolished–I just happened to have a holiday, and came to stand there at some random moment during the wall’s existence. So, I thought, there was a 50 per cent chance that I was seeing the wall during the middle two quarters of its lifetime (see Diagram, below). If I was at the beginning of this interval, then one-quarter of the wall’s life had passed and three-quarters remained. On the other hand, if I was at the end of of this interval, then three-quarters had passed and only one-quarter lay in the future. In this way I reckoned that there was a 50 per cent chance the wall would last from 1/3 to 3 times as long as it had already.

Before leaving the wall, I predicted to a friend, that it would with 50 per cent likelihood, last more than two and two-thirds years but less than 24. I then returned from holiday and went on to other things. But my prediction, and the peculiar line of reasoning that lay behind it, stayed with me. Twenty years later, in November 1989 the Berlin Wall cam down–unexpectedly, but in line with my prediction.

So if you had happened to visit 19 years later, your estimate would have been?

vj says go here for more.

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,22:26   

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,22:30   

I pity teh poor troll...

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,22:33   

Awwww...  Who stoll the troll?  I was going to answer his question, "What's inside the Angel's something".

A: The Center of the Universe.

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,22:34   

Quote (didymos @ April 10 2011,13:27)
Gordon has now officially flipped his lid. This is of course because someone has revealed his True Name:

[...]
You know, or should know that design theory advocates are often subjected to workplace harassment or worse, so “outing” tactics such as you have indulged above through disrespectfully using my personal name, can do real harm, and exerts a chilling effect.
[...]
Good day, madam

GEM of TKI

L. O. L.

Doesn't workplace herassment require a day job in the first place?

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,22:44   

Quote (CeilingCat @ April 10 2011,22:33)
Awwww...  Who stoll the troll?  I was going to answer his question, "What's inside the Angel's something".

A: The Center of the Universe.

He's gone all Al Qaeda now - saying he'll cut off my head and all that. Ho-hum.

That's the thing about fanatics - they don't believe in anything. Convert from one religion to another at the drop of a hat. Next year he'll fancy himself an atheist and still not understand why nobody takes him seriously.

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2011,22:49   

When you go through his web pages you will realize that KairosFocus aka Gordon E. Mullings has a series of homophobic posts labelled as <i>Matt 24 watch</i>. Currently, Matt 24 watch, 123 is up. These posts are a clear indication that he is a young earth creationist who beleaves knows the end of the world is near and who will interpret everything that doesn't fit with his belief as additional signs for the last day approaching. He actually finishes all his posts over there with a bolded capitalized END. He may stick to it during the pseudodiscussions at UD but I think he doesn't even give a shit on ID because he prefers the hard stuff rather than the poorly copied diluted replica.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2011,01:38   

Nah, totally normal. God is very religious...

--------------
"Hail is made out of water? Are you really that stupid?" Joe G

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2011,03:16   

Quote (CeilingCat @ April 10 2011,20:26)

In 1969, after graduating from Harvard but before starting further study in astro-physics at Princeton University, I took a summer holiday in Europe and visited the Berlin Wall. It was the height of the Cold War, and the wall was then eight years old. Standing in it ominous shadow, I began to wonder how long it would last. Having no special knowledge of East-West relations, I hadn’t much to go on. But I hit on a curious way to estimate the wall’s likely lifetime knowing only its age.

I reasoned, first of all, that there was nothing special about my visit. That is, I didn’t come to see the wall being erected or demolished–I just happened to have a holiday, and came to stand there at some random moment during the wall’s existence. So, I thought, there was a 50 per cent chance that I was seeing the wall during the middle two quarters of its lifetime (see Diagram, below). If I was at the beginning of this interval, then one-quarter of the wall’s life had passed and three-quarters remained. On the other hand, if I was at the end of of this interval, then three-quarters had passed and only one-quarter lay in the future. In this way I reckoned that there was a 50 per cent chance the wall would last from 1/3 to 3 times as long as it had already.

Before leaving the wall, I predicted to a friend, that it would with 50 per cent likelihood, last more than two and two-thirds years but less than 24. I then returned from holiday and went on to other things. But my prediction, and the peculiar line of reasoning that lay behind it, stayed with me. Twenty years later, in November 1989 the Berlin Wall cam down–unexpectedly, but in line with my prediction.

markf offers the obvious response:

Your argument applies equally to ID. That movement began about 25 years ago – so there is a 50% chance that ID will last between 8 and 75 years.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2011,05:05   

Quote (CeilingCat @ April 10 2011,23:26)

He seems to have forgotten to read the rest of the article.

Intrigued that the approach seemed to work, I eventually set out its logic in Nature(vol 363, p315, 1993). There, instead of using the 50 percent mark, I adopted the more standards scientific criterion that the prediction should have at least a 95 per cent chance of being correct. This makes the numbers in the formula come out a bit different, but the argument remains the same. If there is nothing special about your observation of something, then there is a 95 per cent chance that you are seeing it during the middle 95 per cent of its observable lifetime, rather than during the first or last 2.5 per cent (see Diagram, p 38). At one extreme the future is only 1/39 as long as the past. At the other, it is 39 times as long. With 95 per cent certainty, this fixes the future longevity of whatever you observe as being between 1/39 and 39 times as long as its past.

This formula can be used to amusing effect. Mathematicians Peter Landsberg, Jeff Dewynne and Colin Please of the University of Southhampton used it to predict how long the Britain's Conservative government would stay in power (Nature, vol. 365, p385, 1993). The Conservative Party had been in power for 14 years, and they estimated with 95 per cent confidence that it would be in power for at least 4.3 months but less than 546 more years. Sure enough the Conservative Party was ousted 3.5 years later.

And of course vjtardbucket is missing the boat in that calculating how long reality will last might be a slightly inappropriate use of statistics in any event, not to mention that the fact that the mechanisms of evolution were described 150 years ago has fuck all to do with how long evolution has been going on.

Since evolution has been taking place for like 3,000,000,000 years, perhaps that would be a better starting place for your calculations, vj. A Grim Reckoning for IDiots indeed.

But what do I know? I got a C in Statistics.

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2011,05:08   

Quote (keiths @ April 11 2011,04:16)
markf offers the obvious response:

Your argument applies equally to ID. That movement began about 25 years ago – so there is a 50% chance that ID will last between 8 and 75 years.

lol. Yet another Grim Reckoning for the IDiots.

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2011,05:16   

"Crack is bad, m'kay?"

Robert Sheldon

04/10/2011

9:41 pm

VJ,
I liked your estimate, but it is both way too broad, and way too conservative. Of course it will be the unexpected that brings down the wall and Darwinism, because if it were expected, the watchman would have been ready, and the NCSE would have been primed.

But what no one seems to recognize, is that it is already happened–Darwinism stopped being a viable theory, not when it could no longer work (becuase it never could) but when something else replaced it.

The discovery announced last month (but made 11 years ago) that fossils exist on comets, means that we no longer need to explain evolution as “change in situ” for we can always have “change by transport”. That is, your old retired neighbors don’t evolve into a family with kids, they move out and another family moves in. The changes on planet Earth is much easier to explain if it is “aliens” who bring about the oxygen metabolism, the Cambrian explosion, the flowering plants. This is what the comet fossils imply.

And when the Mars Science Lab finds the same thing on Mars (which we have known since 1976 Viking), and then the Europa probe finds it on Jupiter’s Moons, or Enceladus is found to have life at Saturn, the cat is out of the bag. There will be a scramble to explain it as life originating at Earth, but in the end, the consensus will admit life exists all over the Solar system. I think this will sweep through all biologists younger than 45. At this point, insisting on Evolution only on Earth will date a scientist as only slightly less ancient than the dinosaurs. As Thomas Kuhn pointed out, theories don’t die, the scientists who promote them do.

So when will this conversion experience occur, when will everyone trace “the beginning of the end” to this important event?

I’d like to think it was the paper that came out in the Journal of Cosmology, but there’s going to be an even more exciting one coming out in a few months, not to mention a conference Aug 21 in San Diego. We have Mars Science Lab launched in a year or two, and Europa mission sometime in the next decade. So if microfossils aren’t enough, Mars is next. If Mars isn’t enough, Jupiter and Saturn are next. But I don’t think it will take that long. I think this is the year. (But of course, my success at prediction is a perfect reason to multiple by 3 and add 2.)

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2011,07:18   

that shit right there is why accomodationism loses.  the godbotting stupid is self-replicating and malignantly virulent.  i wish all of their self-loathing desire to be persecuted dreams would come true.  by big gay aliens with cheap double ender probe listening to Ozzy and doing black magic with their granmaws rosary

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: April 11 2011,07:49   

Quote (Seversky @ April 11 2011,03:04)
Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,April 10 2011,18:11)

<o>

Starship Enterprise

o===o
  \ ! /
   ( )

Dembscii.

post of the quart!

Seconded!

WHO SAYS TEH ASR-33 IS DEAD/

I KNEW IT WELL WHOARATIO

AN INFORMATION CONSERVATION TELEX OF INFINITE MEEMS, OF MOST EXCELLENT FANCY.

IT BOURNE ON MY BACK MANY THYMES AND HOW ABHORRED IN MYTIME OFF IT WAS!

MY GORDO RISES AT IT.

HERE HUNG THOSE POSTS I HAVE PISSED ON I KNOW NOT HOW OFT

WHERE BE YOUR APRON WAVING NOW?

d.t. snorts a little R14 before going back to fishING

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

15001 replies since Sep. 04 2009,16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (501) < ... 389 390 391 392 393 [394] 395 396 397 398 399 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]