RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (501) < ... 382 383 384 385 386 [387] 388 389 390 391 392 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 3, The Beast Marches On...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: April 05 2011,06:29   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ April 05 2011,02:27)
Quote (midwifetoad @ April 03 2011,21:04)
Quote (lkeithlu @ April 03 2011,19:54)
I'm afraid those are the comments from last night and this morning. The ones from the last couple of hours are still in moderation; in the meantime other posters have commented, which is going to make mine look out of context when it finally appears.

That's the name of the game. Let enough posts show up to bury yours. That and delay yours until the whole thread is buried.

In hopes you will give up. And if you don't give up, no one will notice anyway.

1. Copy your comments to Google Sidewiki.

2. In every comment, note that those who want to see your comments in timely fashion can view the Sidewiki.

3. Encourage other posters to note that Sidewiki has current comments.

Heh, i thought he was doing that here....snikker...

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: April 05 2011,11:34   

Quote (CeilingCat @ April 05 2011,01:51)
The Uncommon Descent death spiral continues:

The last five posts are by O'Leary, then there's one by nullasalus, then the next eight are by O'Leary again, then we get a 5000 word entry from Dembski which is bumped up from last Feburary and which says, essentially, "Buy my book!"

Lest you think that's the nadir of UD and it's all uphill from there, the next five posts are by O'Leary again and then we get a post by Gil Dodgen.

DoomTards

If it wasn't for Mathgrrl, their stats for the last month would have been abyssmal.

But never fear. Barrogant will be back with a post proving Darwinism caused the Japanese earthquake, and Cornelius Hunter will start crossdressingposting again. Clive Hayden will remind us why CSLewis and GKChesterton really are the height of Christian thinking and coincidentally the best answer to evolution - "it cuts its own throat!"

But then, just as the party begins to get raucous, and Gil opens a second ginger ale, there is a pause. Everyone looks to the door, expecting DaveTard to announce the arrival of Dr. Dr. Waterloo William A. Dembski. Instead, it swings open by itself, and the word "Dover" is blown in on a cold December wind. The lights go out, and lone voice is left, crying "Coffee!"

--------------
Im referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
Im not an evolutionist, Im a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: April 05 2011,12:32   

But then, just as the party begins to get raucous, and Gil opens a second ginger ale, there is a pause. Everyone looks to the door, expecting DaveTard to announce the arrival of Dr. Dr. Waterloo William A. Dembski. Instead, it swings open by itself, and word "Dover" is blown in on a cold December wind. The lights go out, and lone voice is left, crying "Coffee!"

Sniff & snufffle. That's beautiful man! And they say that scientists have no soul...

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

utidjian

(Permalink) Posted: April 05 2011,13:45   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ April 04 2011,18:27)
Quote (midwifetoad @ April 03 2011,21:04)
Quote (lkeithlu @ April 03 2011,19:54)
I'm afraid those are the comments from last night and this morning. The ones from the last couple of hours are still in moderation; in the meantime other posters have commented, which is going to make mine look out of context when it finally appears.

That's the name of the game. Let enough posts show up to bury yours. That and delay yours until the whole thread is buried.

In hopes you will give up. And if you don't give up, no one will notice anyway.

1. Copy your comments to Google Sidewiki.

2. In every comment, note that those who want to see your comments in timely fashion can view the Sidewiki.

3. Encourage other posters to note that Sidewiki has current comments.

Interesting idea Wes. Since all users to UD will see the reference to Sidewiki it may be that the mods simply ban them altogether (once they figure out what is going on.)

It would certainly be useful in a lot of Christian and other anti-evolution websites and forums.

As KE pointed out... this is kinda what AtBC is all about anyhow (well this thread anyways.) Come to think of it it would be cool to have a Sidewiki tacked on to UD. Problem is we couldn't get away with a lot of the discussion here because even Sidewiki is "moderated".
Sidewiki program policies

-DU-

--------------
Being laughed at doesn't mean you're progressing along some line. It probably just means you're saying some stupid shit -stevestory

lkeithlu

(Permalink) Posted: April 05 2011,15:10   

KL
04/03/2011
6:07 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Well, I am happy to answer questions to the best of my ability, but the reason I came to this site was because of the statements made on the other thread, and I would really like an answer to my original question before we proceed, as that will direct my thoughts in the correct way. No offense meant, but the topic of physical anthropology and the fossil record came first.

33 hours in moderation

KL
04/03/2011
8:10 pm

Well, folks, between spending hours in moderation and finding that no one is able to answer the original question, I guess its time to move on. Metaphysical arguments against evolution is not the same as explaining the evidence from a different paradigm. In science, if your explanation is better than the last, you should be able to show it, and no one is willing to do so here. I have to conclude that you all are a long way from providing anything that can remotely challenge evolution as the reigning paradigm. I had hoped you would have something. Perhaps you need to find an anthropologist to join you? A anyway, good luck. I think Ill stick with my spouse and associates on this one, as they can address the specifics about the distribution, age and features of the fossils. You cant ignore that they exist, so explaining them cant be avoided.

One final point-unless you fix your moderation system, youll not have many here offering a different perspective. 8,10,12 hours or more before a post appears is just too long; it disrupts the conversation and makes posts appear out of context.

31 hours in moderation

idcurious
04/05/2011
1:31 pm
Joseph @ 23

From what Ive read, Dr Behe accepts the fossil record as one part of the evidence for common descent. I was wondering why GilDodgen thinks it is impossible to establish ancestor-descendant relationships from the fossil record.. But of course ID is a big tent and we can agree to disagree on that.

Im more interested in what KL has to say.

Don't hold your breath, hon.

This is pretty blatant.

utidjian

(Permalink) Posted: April 05 2011,19:14   

OK this whole Sidewiki (SW) thing is pretty cool.... trying to get used to it without screwing it up too much.

I noticed there is an SW thread on the main UD page but not on the thread that KL is trying to post to. This one.

Just to get it going I made an SW comment on that page in response to KL's comment #4. It is pretty cool... one can zip right to the relvant part of the page that one is commenting on by clicking on thingy in SW.

This could be FUN!

And FSM knows we need more fun on UD.

-DU-

--------------
Being laughed at doesn't mean you're progressing along some line. It probably just means you're saying some stupid shit -stevestory

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: April 05 2011,23:45   

Gil displays a little irritation at the way the Atheists Dont Have No Songs comments are heading:

BACK ON TOPIC:

...because he wants to say something he hasn't said before...

I just got back from a rehearsal at our church playing piano with the many talented musicians in our worship team, in preparation for next Sundays service. This is such a joyful and life-enriching experience (which the atheist will never comprehend or experience), not just for the praise music but for the fellowship among us. At every rehearsal we have a time of prayer and share our personal lives and struggles with each other.

As a former Dawkins-style atheist I can offer the following observations: Atheism is hopelessly irrational and illogical. It is soul destroying.

...for at least a week.

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,00:33   

If so, why is WMAD so eager to be recognized as a scientist:  
5 April 2011
Significance is not what it used to be
William Dembski

Interesting article in PLoS Medicine (source):

Why Most Published Research Findings Are False
By John P. A. Ioannidis

Source says:  
Published: August 30, 2005
Did he ever follow his own blog?

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,00:39   

BTW, who is hiding behind "News"?

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,02:58   

Quote (Ptaylor @ April 05 2011,23:45)
Gil displays a little irritation at the way the Atheists Dont Have No Songs comments are heading:
BACK ON TOPIC:

I just got back from a rehearsal at our church playing piano with the many talented musicians in our worship team, in preparation for next Sundays service. This is such a joyful and life-enriching experience (which the atheist will never comprehend or experience), not just for the praise music but for the fellowship among us. At every rehearsal we have a time of prayer and share our personal lives and struggles with each other.

As a former Dawkins-style atheist I can offer the following observations: Atheism is hopelessly irrational and illogical. It is soul destroying.

...for at least a week.

Sounds to me like Gil is trying hardest of all to convince himself. Perhaps Gil's inner atheist never really went away.

And "worship team"? WTF? I didn't realize you had to form a "team"!

Do they compete I wonder? How do they know who won?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gaugers work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,04:34   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ April 06 2011,08:58)
[SNIP]

How do people know they've won? Easy. The one with the most Jesus wins.

Unfortunately for them there is no Jesus. They all lose.

HTH HAND.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,06:11   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ April 06 2011,02:58)

BACK ON TOPIC:

...for at least a week.

Sounds to me like Gil is trying hardest of all to convince himself. Perhaps Gil's inner atheist never really went away.

You think God wants a bunch of dorks like Frill and friends worshipping Her all the time? Hell no!

That's why you have to get up a worship TEAM nowadays - two to hold Her down, one to hold a knife to Her throat, a couple to hold Her legs and one to do the actual worshipping.

And as for that "mighty, all powerful God" crap, that's what the guns are for.

lkeithlu

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,06:18   

Sometime during the night, my comment (#14) made it out of moderation, much more than 33 hours past the time and of course it is no longer relevant and is buried in the thread. What a bunch of cowards.

A few minutes ago I posted this as an experiment.
Will it take another 30 hours? Will it show up at all?

My last post (#14) did not show up until 15 other posts had come up, meaning that it spend well over 30 hours in moderation. This is really dishonest. In addition, my original question was never addressed. My spouse looked over this and the original thread and exclaimed that the anthropologists quoted here were taken out of context and did not mean what you implied.

I stick by my original assertion that you do not yet have a theory that can supplant evolution in explaining the physical evidence, including the fossil record.

damitall

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,07:08   

Joseph asks:

"Is there a bright side if you are an atheist?"

If UD were unmoderated, the answers would be fast and furious, beginning with "yeah, atheists don't have to tolerate aggressive, ignorant, fairy-tale-believing morons like joe"

As things are, I guess no-one will bother.

Any forum that gives the likes of Joseph free rein whilst moderating polite criticism into irrelevance is terminally broken.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,08:27   

Quote (damitall @ April 06 2011,15:08)
Joseph asks:

If UD were unmoderated, the answers would be fast and furious, beginning with "yeah, atheists don't have to tolerate aggressive, ignorant, fairy-tale-believing morons like joe"

Any forum that gives the likes of Joseph free rein whilst moderating polite criticism into irrelevance is terminally broken.

Me thinkest joe protesteth too much.

he has the conscience of a ghetto crack stall without the gonads.

he sucks cock

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

lkeithlu

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,09:59   

Last was moderated for a couple of hours; meantime it is posted that I ran away after receiving an answer. (Which I had not), so I posted this:

KL
04/06/2011
8:56 am

It looks like my last (#31) spent FAR less time in moderation.

I remind you that the original thread was a claim regarding the fossil record. A specific claim that I asked to be supported with evidence. Anthropologists make hypotheses based on really good familiarity with the fossils and understanding of comparative anatomy. The original thread did not mention cellular biology, molecular biology, metaphysics, or computer programming. Just fossils. So, if you are going to make that claim, and the subsequent claim that anthropologists have wasted their entire careers chasing a fantasy, from a scientific standpoint you should offer a better explanation of the specifics (age, features, distribution) of the fossil record. To divert to another topic is evasion.

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,11:59   

Quote (lkeithlu @ April 06 2011,10:59)
Last was moderated for a couple of hours; meantime it is posted that I ran away after receiving an answer. (Which I had not), so I posted this:

KL
04/06/2011
8:56 am

It looks like my last (#31) spent FAR less time in moderation.

I remind you that the original thread was a claim regarding the fossil record. A specific claim that I asked to be supported with evidence. Anthropologists make hypotheses based on really good familiarity with the fossils and understanding of comparative anatomy. The original thread did not mention cellular biology, molecular biology, metaphysics, or computer programming. Just fossils. So, if you are going to make that claim, and the subsequent claim that anthropologists have wasted their entire careers chasing a fantasy, from a scientific standpoint you should offer a better explanation of the specifics (age, features, distribution) of the fossil record. To divert to another topic is evasion.

If you want better treatment, change your name to Mathgrrl.

--------------
Im referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
Im not an evolutionist, Im a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,15:07   

Quote (sparc @ April 06 2011,17:39)
BTW, who is hiding behind "News"?

Given the links to post-darwinist.blogspot in the current post by 'News' I'd say it has to be Dense. I've no idea why - perhaps she has become aware that around 90% of recent posts have been under her name, not such a good look.

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,15:55   

BACK ON TOPIC:

...for at least a week.

Yeah, right. Because as a former pianist myself who, like Dawkins, sang in choir, and as a dancer who started at age practically zero singing in my crib (according to witnesses), I hate music about as much as the St.-Matthews-Passion-enjoying Dawkins does.

What a childish comment, even for Gilligan.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,16:10   

Mark is my hero:

markf

04/06/2011

6:11 am

Is there a bright side if you are an atheist?

Oh yes. For example,

- no pressure to sit through hour long rambles or harangues once a week in a building with minimal heating and hard seats

- easier to enjoy satires on religion

- no need to repeat I was once an atheist but now I know better every week.

My emphasis.

ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdTiCbfdEDI#t=3m22s

Edited by Lou FCD on April 06 2011,17:15

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,16:32   

Lewontin alert!

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout

noncarborundum

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,16:48   

Quote (Kristine @ April 06 2011,15:55)

BACK ON TOPIC:

...for at least a week.

Yeah, right. Because as a former pianist myself who, like Dawkins, sang in choir, and as a dancer who started at age practically zero singing in my crib (according to witnesses), I hate music about as much as the St.-Matthews-Passion-enjoying Dawkins does.

What a childish comment, even for Gilligan.

I just got back from a solo recital, singing with the many talented musicians in my voice teacher's studio. This is such a joyful and life-enriching experience, not just for the music but for the fellowship among us. After every recital we have a time of wine and cheese and sharing our personal lives and struggles with each other.

As a former C.S. Lewis-style Christian I can offer the following observation: Gil Dodgen is a git.

--------------
"The . . . um . . . okay, I was genetically selected for blue eyes. I know there are brown eyes, because I've observed them, but I can't do it. Okay? So . . . um . . . coz that's real genetic selection, not the nonsense Giberson and the others are talking about." - DO'L

lkeithlu

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,16:57   

Post 55 in moderation for more than 3 hours now:

KL
04/06/2011
1:40 pm

If you want your ideas to be considered science, you must do what scientists do: the hard work of developing explanations for evidence. Detailed work involving mechanisms, patterns, empirical and relative ages, geographic distribution, biometrics, variations within and between related species. To answer scientific questions by claiming another paradigm but then not using that paradigm to offer a better explanation is not science. Thats fine, if you dont care to be called scientists or what you do science. But, if you cant run with the big dogs, stay on the porch. Dont try to play scientist by offering up analogies that are meaningless in practice, philosophy instead of mechanisms, and claims you cannot support with evidence.
Not to mention outrageous statements about scientists wasting their careers; scientists who have done and continued to do the hard work of science.

QuiteID, the paradigm of evolution has stood the test of time, and continues to explain all the evidence, even down to the tiniest detail, very well. A shift in paradigm is an extraordinary claim, which must be demonstrated by extraordinary evidence. Philosophical explanations and computer science analogies are not sufficient to convince any scientist to abandon the reigning paradigm.

New post:

Reams of typing, quotemines of Gould offered by Philip Johnson, who I think has perfected the art, an piece from Proverbs, more metaphysics, but nothing regarding the age, features or distribution of the hundreds of hominid fossils. Plus, another post in moderation for going on 3.5 hours.

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,17:17   

Ms Racktouey is on a roll but I fear the banhammer may be about to strike. Accusing Gordon of quote-mining Lewontin! I'm shocked!

ETA

I think Jemima is  trying for  a martyr's death, judging by the next few comments.

lkeithlu

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,17:25   

She can always come join us here; I am sure I am about to be banned for the 2nd time since 2006.

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,17:29   

Quote (Alan Fox @ April 06 2011,15:17)
Ms Racktouey is on a roll but I fear the banhammer may be about to strike. Accusing Gordon of quote-mining Lewontin! I'm shocked!

ETA

I think Jemima is trying for a martyr's death, judging by the next few comments.

On a roll indeed.  Dead sock walking!

Preserved while it's still here:

Here is a list of meaningless things ID proponents have invented:

bCSI, Biological Complex Specified Information
BPB, Biological Probability Bound
CSI, Complex Specified Information
DFSCI, Digital Functionally Specified Complex Information
EF, Explanatory Filter
FAI, Functional Algorithmic Information
FCT, Functional Coded elemenT
FIIRDS, Functional Incredibly Improbable Random Digital Strings
Fits, Functional Bits
FSC, Functional Sequence Complexity
FSCI, Functionally Specified Complex Information
GSP, Genetic Selection Principle
ID, Intelligent Design
IDC, Intelligent Design Creationism
IR, Irreducible Complexity
LCCSI, Law of Conservation of Complex Specified Information
PI, Prescriptive Information
TARD, The Argument Regarding Design
TE, Theistic Evolution
UPB, Universal Probability Bound
UPM, Universal Plausibility Metric

Joe, care to calculate the DFSCI of a cake? Or a baseball? What about a photon? Much DFSCI in that?

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

lkeithlu

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,17:31   

New post:
Interesting that you bring up the placental/marsupial divergence. If there was ever an actively researched and well documented evolutionary sequence, that is it. Backed by work in several areas of science, too. It's fascinating and it's all evolution. I have not seen anything using another paradigm that can explain it. Yes, the picture is not complete, but more information is coming in about the mechanisms, chronology, and changes in the genetic sequences that make these two lines different. And it's ALL evolution. No other paradigm.

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,17:35   

Quote (lkeithlu @ April 06 2011,12:25)
She can always come join us here; I am sure I am about to be banned for the 2nd time since 2006.

I get the feeling she may already be acquainted with the place. As to getting banned, well, you pretty much made your point. What choice do ID proponents have, really? It must really suck to maintain the pretence that there is a kernel of an idea when it is obvious to all and sundry there is only bluster. I wonder who, apart from themselves, they think they are fooling.

Freddie

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,17:40   

Quote (damitall @ April 06 2011,07:08)
Joseph asks:

Rather than "Always look on the bright side ..." I would suggest "The Galaxy Song" from The Meaning of Life as a more appropriate Pythonesque/Atheist anthem. The last two lines are particularly apropos UD.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'.
Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.
We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
We go 'round every two hundred million years,
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

--------------
Joe: Most criticisims of ID stem from ignorance and jealousy.
Joe: As for the authors of the books in the Bible, well the OT was authored by Moses and the NT was authored by various people.
Byers: The eskimo would not need hairy hair growth as hair, I say, is for keeping people dry. Not warm.

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: April 06 2011,17:40   

Upright Biped throws down the gauntlet!

If you could only leave aside the distractions and debate me on the core tenets of ID.

Wouldn't we all like to see a core tenet of ID.

link

15001 replies since Sep. 04 2009,16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (501) < ... 382 383 384 385 386 [387] 388 389 390 391 392 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]