RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Renier

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2006,14:17   

From UD:On a side note, I am always amazed how certain darwinists (the ones Dembski calls the “Eugenie Scott Darwinists”) try to convert the Christians to their world view.
Comment by Mats — March 26, 2006 @ 1:03 pm

There now. Good thing fundies never try and convert anyone... wait, I hear the doorbell ringing...

... just some bloke selling a "Watch Tower" magazine???... go figure. It's also ironic to note that the ID people gave Judge Jones the idea that ID is just religious peddling. Wonder why...

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2006,14:19   

Quote (Dante @ Mar. 26 2006,13:51)
jasonng:
I wonder how the Darwinists sleep at night.

On top of a pile of peer-reviewed, researched papers.

"Vit many beautiful ladies"

(another Rainier Wolfcastle reference...)

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Renier

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2006,14:26   

Let me answer by saying that I am at least willing to accept Darwinism IF it can be demonstrated by reference to the empirical data. I am also willing to accept design IF it can be demonstrated by reference to the empirical data.

...For now, I take the position that design has the upper hand.
Comment by BarryA — March 26, 2006 @ 3:19 pm

Someone get a doctor please. I just fell out of my chair laughing and think I hurt my back... If this Barry bloke is really honest, pointing him to the talkorigins archive would be a good thing. Anyone wanny try and see if they get banned?

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2006,14:50   

Quote (Renier @ Mar. 26 2006,19:18)
This new UD blogger, Barry the lawyer, is something else ...

He should stick to law. His understanding of science is frightful...

If he knew jack about science, DS would have kicked him off long ago.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Renier

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2006,14:55   

If he knew jack about science, DS would have kicked him off long ago.

Very true.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2006,14:56   

Renier, pointing him to TalkOrigins would be pointless. You're assuming that he is just ignorant of the basic evidence for evolution. But you must also notice that he is stupid enough to believe that he knows better than the overwhelming number of scientists in the relevant field. Evidence can correct ignorance, but can it correct stupidity?

Drew Headley

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2006,15:03   

Quote (stevestory @ Mar. 26 2006,20:56)
Renier, pointing him to TalkOrigins would be pointless. You're assuming that he is just ignorant of the basic evidence for evolution. But you must also notice that he is stupid enough to believe that he knows better than the overwhelming number of scientists in the relevant field. Evidence can correct ignorance, but can it correct stupidity?

I would not say he is stupid, just that he has a certain world-view preventing him from accepting evidence against his position. A lot of the ID people on Dembski's blog seem to be this way.

Edit: Then again, some might say that is the definition of stupidity.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2006,15:08   

Whatever we call it, evidence alone can't fix it.

argystokes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2006,17:47   

Tiax, your comment in the missing link blog is a thing of beauty.  And when Dembski's Hand of Justice finds out what "dt" means, you'll join us among the banned.  Congrats!

--------------
"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" -Calvin

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2006,17:53   

standing O for Tiax. My hat's off to you pal.

clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*
clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*
clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*

Tiax

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2006,18:05   

The 'dt' part isn't actually mine, it got put there by a moderator.

argystokes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2006,18:54   

Hello, Uncommon Descent denizens.  This is the place where we gather to make mockery of your blog moderaters, and sometimes your fellow commenters.  It's sort of like MST3K.

If you're sick of the antics of the crowd over there, please grab a beer, sit back, and join our little forum as we take a lighthearted look at the ricockulous antics of WAD et al.

--------------
"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" -Calvin

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2006,01:10   

LOL

Tiax,
Seems you struck a nerve. Ol' Dave couldn't come up with a response other than linking here.
Maybe he wanted to say just that, and you stole his thunder?

argystokes,
You should be ashamed of yourself. Editing your own comments, indeed! Get your act together, or pretty soon you're going to sink so low that you'll be deleting embarrassing threads whole, too... no wait

From the same thread, I saved this for posterity:

Guys help me out here... I'm confused. Seriously. Is he trying to be sarcastic, or is he a moron? Or both?

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2006,04:09   

Maybe DougMoron should ask his ID friends those questions. I mean, he is surrounded by a bunch of Galileos, isn't he?

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2006,05:00   

Wow, this is some of the most self-referential stuff I've ever seen:

It can’t be a missing link: we’ve found it.

:D

You’re going to be a missing link around here! -dt  

Tiax on Uncommon Pissant (I’m banned there) says: click me

and DaveScot replies: No. Really? A moderator you say.”  

and DaveScot replies again (inside joke here) “Argystokes you were right the first time. But hey, the edit you pulled, what can I say except You have learned well, grasshopper.

Comment by Tiax — March 26, 2006 @ 10:17 pm

Which bits here are actually yours, Tiax?

I guess our DaveTard's initial rage has subsided and this is his way of finally acknowledging the delightful new game we've constructed around him. Or something.

--------------

Tiax

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2006,05:12   

Only the first line and the smiley are mine, everything else is Dave's

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2006,05:22   

Good lord, I'd forgotten the depths of dumbitute to which DougMoran can sink...

Okay, Doug? He was a Protestant, and voted Republican most of the time. We think he worked as a claims adjustor.

This is a pretty common ID response to news items like this -- "Oh, la di dah, this is so unimportant! Who cares? Tell us something we don't know". I mean, they have nothing else to say. If they were straight YEC types they'd give us some gibberish about how it was just a species of monkey that went extinct in the Flood, but IDers have to do this whole 'pretend-to-be-scientific' thing.

Quote (Faid @ Mar. 27 2006,07:10)
LOL

Tiax,
Seems you struck a nerve. Ol' Dave couldn't come up with a response other than linking here.
Maybe he wanted to say just that, and you stole his thunder?

argystokes,
You should be ashamed of yourself. Editing your own comments, indeed! Get your act together, or pretty soon you're going to sink so low that you'll be deleting embarrassing threads whole, too... no wait

From the same thread, I saved this for posterity:

Guys help me out here... I'm confused. Seriously. Is he trying to be sarcastic, or is he a moron? Or both?

--------------

Seven Popes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2006,15:15   

I mean, GOD####, that is magnificently retarded. I mean, that post is standing at the pinnacle of a mountain, it's cape flapping in a breeze, sunset casting a golden glow across it's chiseled features, gloriously retarded. It is the ne plus ultra of tard. It is to other retarded posts as Michael Jordan was to Craig Ehlo, on a distinct plane above even the world's best.

I know  SteveStory posted this days ago (the 25th I believe), but dang!  I laughed untill i got a nosebleed. Literally.  
It is the ne plus ultra of tard.

I think I just pooped a little.  If you could somehow work in the word "Tard-gasm", it might trigger a seizure. :p

--------------
Cave ab homine unius libri - Beware of anyone who has just one book.

Renier

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2006,21:49   

I went at posted at that new Barry guy's threads. First comment I asked was what empirical evidence he was talking about.

Here

Then, based on his reply, I asked if he rejected common descent, and sort of asked in a nice way for the empirical evidence again, since he never provided any. Needless to say, second comment never made it.

My conclusion: UD is a useless blog to post at. They don't like questions and they don't like answers. They only LOVE to hear themselves sing to one another, whilst scratching each other's backs and then make funny crooning sounds. The quality of memes over there is bordering in viral infection.

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2006,23:01   

Quote (Renier @ Mar. 28 2006,03:49)
I went at posted at that new Barry guy's threads. First comment I asked was what empirical evidence he was talking about.

Here

Then, based on his reply, I asked if he rejected common descent, and sort of asked in a nice way for the empirical evidence again, since he never provided any. Needless to say, second comment never made it.

My conclusion: UD is a useless blog to post at. They don't like questions and they don't like answers. They only LOVE to hear themselves sing to one another, whilst scratching each other's backs and then make funny crooning sounds. The quality of memes over there is bordering in viral infection.

UD is awfull. Your comments get edited, trashed, written over or whatever they feel like doing.

I read it because sometimes it is incredibly funny. But posting is a nightmare.

I lasted less than a week before getting banned. Dave Scot banned somebody, then posted insulting remarks about them as a question. When I pointed out he was being dishonest I was banned as well.

thurdl01

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 28 2006,01:29   

I'm disappointed in myself.  UD is still perpetuating that the Alabama church burnings were the fault of "Darwinians" and...and I was actually surprised that he's sitting on that canard.  Why oh why did I think that DS (don't like that other abbreviation, cause it's uncomfortably similar to my own initials) would give a good darn that it's been shown there was no religious motivation (or, according to the stories I've read, ANY motivation) behind the fires.  Guess the cynicism isn't strong enough with me.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 28 2006,03:28   

given the threats against Judge Jones, you think they'd be pretending they never talked about a blog being responsible for actions.

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 28 2006,04:14   

Oh, this one is just too good...

Barry, although not to suggest your comment implies that ID does not point to a supernatural god, I believe that even an objective consideration of the facts, yes the facts, compels a conclusion that there must be a supernatural being behind ID. Also, who else/what else would be behind ID: Star Trek’s Borg, last year’s nobel prize winner for chemistry, physics or biochemistry? It amazes me that many, perhaps most in the heavy life sciences, like biochemestry for example, do not at the very least allow for the real possibility/likelihood of ID and that the ID was the product of a supernatural god. The biological facts are as follows: Every cell in our body (except for a few specilized cells) contains all of the genetic info to make a whole individual. All of this from the double helix that is DNA. All of the nuclic acids (of which there are 4 diffeent kinds in DNA) are ordered in a specific way along the DNA helix, so that when the signal comes for a transcription of the gene described by that sequence of nucleic acids (gene), via a very complex enzyme know as RNA Polymerase (of which there are more than 1 verisons) that via a biochemical signal attaches to the right spot on the DNA, and releases at the right point on DNA, so as to make the right messenger RNA that finds its way to the protein making ribosome, that then assembles the right protein by linking the right transfer RNA’s that makes the protein in the right way - just for starters. This explanation is nothing but a few word explanation of what is a stunningly complex and elegant mechanisim to create an organism, in all of its order. I am convinced by what I believe is an objective analysis, that even a not very engaged or deep analysis of this and all of the related biological processess that create (and maintain) an organism cannot be by the process of trial and/error, i.e. evolution. I think it is more likely that a Boeing 777 would spontaneously assemble itself somewhere in the universe than the mechanism for creation and maintainng life be the product of natural selection. Perhaps the biological process could be obtained by trial and error, but it would take much longer, just intuitively, than the 15 billion years (perhaps on the order of quadrillions on quadrillions of years) that the earth has been in existence, assuming that is a correct time frame for the earth’s existence. And there are many new biological processes being discovered and understood for the first time now, that add to the elegance and complexity of the biological mechanism. So I am absolutely persuaded, by even a limited understanding of just what is know as the “Central Dogma” in biology, very roughly outlined above, that life is the product of ID, and there is no ID that could create such a complex, inter-related biological processes for the creation of life other than a supernatural being. And with all of the elegance, order and beauty of the biological process it is no leap to conclude that the supernatural god must be benevolent. That is for another blog however. And if you consider the mechanisms of biological processes such as photosynthesis and energy creation for life processes, I do believe that those processes alone lead to the same conclusion that life must be the product of ID, and that ID can only be froma supernatural god.

Comment by mspeters — March 26, 2006 @ 6:37 pm

"Goddidit" is alive and well.

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 28 2006,04:45   

DaveSlot is still pushing the 'PT is responsible for burning churches' thing it seems.  There's some good gems in this as well.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/961

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 28 2006,04:55   

Quote (stevestory @ Mar. 28 2006,09:28)
given the threats against Judge Jones, you think they'd be pretending they never talked about a blog being responsible for actions.

I think the threats against Jones might be why DaveTard is perpetuating the "PT-burned-the-Alabama-churches" meme. You know, best defense is a good offense and all that. It's all the more bizarre, in that we now KNOW that the arsons were done by a bunch of maladjusted nice Christian kids who probably never heard of Darwin in their lives, but for DaveTard, it is politically absolutely necessary for those arsons to be the work of wicked evilutionist homo liberals, so that makes it true. His feeble minded followers want it to be true really badly, so they eagerly accept it all. I mean he11, it's the same way these guys do 'science', we shouldn't be surprised.

--------------

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 28 2006,05:15   

Further evidence for the case of Dave Scot being self-deluded.

I made a comment similar to Dawkin’s on Panda’s Thumb (before I was banned for making too good a case against the Darwinian narrative)
and in emails to John Davison. Davison, as you may know, argues that phylogenesis may very well be finished - a completely executed program with a terminal point just like ontogenesis. I’ve rejoined that while biological evolution may indeed be finished, it’s probably moot in any case. Moot because technological evolution has taken over. Biological evolution happens so slowly compared to genetic engineering that there is indeed a paradigm shift. One might argue about intelligent design in the past but there’s no arguing about it in the present - it’s here and it’s a mechanism that works at light speed compared to evolution in the past. One interesting related observation is indeed made by Michael Finley, one I’ve made many times as well. Intelligent designers are a possibility proven by the existence of genetic engineers today. No argument can be made that these engineers are the first or only ones to ever exist.

Comment by DaveScot — May 8, 2005 @ 9:17 am

(My emphasis)  

Considering he was banned for making threats against the site this should be staggering. The fact that it is par for the course with DS speaks loud and clear on his lack of ability to perceive reality.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 28 2006,05:25   

Dawkin’s
Just last week I saw some creationist possessivize PZ's last name as Myer's. I know possessives can get confusing in some cases, but those aren't.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 28 2006,05:43   

I think this has to be DaveTard's money quote:

Intelligent designers are a possibility proven by the existence of genetic engineers today. No argument can be made that these engineers are the first or only ones to ever exist.

No two ways about it, what DT seems to be saying here is because we have genetic engineers today, that proves that God/Yahweh/the Designer/Kang & Kodos did 'intelligent designing' in the past.

Just... wow.

He might even think he's 'proven God'.

And think about it -- this is the most prestigious ID blog on the web. This.

But wait -- if we had  'intelligent designers' in the past, how come we still have genetic engineers now?

--------------

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 28 2006,06:18   

I think the threats against Jones might be why DaveTard is perpetuating the "PT-burned-the-Alabama-churches" meme. You know, best defense is a good offense and all that.

Hmm. You've got a good point. Dave must be feeling he's stuck in defense too long. Heh.

It's all the more bizarre, in that we now KNOW that the arsons were done by a bunch of maladjusted nice Christian kids who probably never heard of Darwin in their lives

I know. When I read this, I thought "Dave pulled the evilutionist arsonists card again WHAT" and immediately checked UD... but it turns out he doesn't try to support it this time: he just left it hanging, as if the facts hadn't disproved it and its mere mention would validate it. Dave's dishonesty at its best.

but for DaveTard, it is politically absolutely necessary for those arsons to be the work of wicked evilutionist homo liberals, so that makes it true. His feeble minded followers want it to be true really badly, so they eagerly accept it all.

You're right. these people like to believe they've been prosecuted and opressed: it's actually essential to their worldview to believe they're "martyrs", because they think as (and are) religious apologetics.

...Oh, and before Lurkin' Dave starts babbling "yadda yadda I'm agnostic", maybe he should wonder why something as hilarious as FSMism makes him furious, while most (serious) Christians have no problem with it.
It's a parody of a religious movement, Davesy, not Christianity in general. Read the goshdarn link you provided for once.
So, relax and, in the words of another famous religious parody, always look on the bright side of life.

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

Sanctum

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 28 2006,07:08   

I don't agree with UD at all in the relationship it has drawn between PT and the arsonists in Alabama.

But Davescot said many times that hateful speech leads to hateful actions.
PT is littered with hateful speech toward Christian/religious/fundamentalist people.

I searched hard through the posts that mention Judge Jones on UD and found three comments where he was called foolish, and such. Unfortunately, as I was expecting to find something much worse I didn't mark where these were for reference. I also recall Jones being accused of having delusions of adequacy a month or so back, but haven't found that again.

It didn't take me two minutes on a PT thread to see where somebody wanted Christian "thugs" to have their teeth punched down their throats. (if there were such thugs doing what he said -yelling at teachers about evolution- then they are to be stopped, but not with violence)

Does someone else have something where DaveScot makes, or even condones, such a comment about Judge Jones?

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]