RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (23) < ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... >   
  Topic: AF Dave Has More Questions About Apes, Creation/Evolution Debate< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,07:48   

Alright, Dave, you turn up your nose at my "brokedown van" analogy and give us houses instead.  I'm game.

So we're strolling down the winding, branching streets of our city, each of which is lined with millions of homes, but  eventually lead to cul-de-sacs where the newest homes are.  (This is strange, but hey, maybe the area is still being developed, eh?)  All of the houses look very similar (let's go with your 97%) to other houses on the block, but very different to other streets, neighbourhoods (?and cities?).  Now we're in one neighbourhood where every front door is four feet off the ground, and every house has a porch with stairs leading up to it.  The stairs vary little -- they're all made of concrete with some slight differences in tiling, and the laticework on the railings has some variance.  But functionally, they all consist of six 8-inch concrete stairs, bordered by railings, leading from walkway to porch.  Now we come to one of the many cul-de-sacs in this neighbourhood.  With our unbiased expertise (it's purely a coincidence that we live here!;), we KNOW that this is THE BEST neighbourhood in the city -- the top of the top when it comes to real estate.  Lo and behold, on every house here, there are walkways, porches, and even railings -- but no stairs!  Almost every other house in this neighbourhood has stairs (the lone exception of which we are aware being one other group of houses on a sidestreet about 70 blocks back).  One is left to wonder how the residents in these wonderful, top-of-the-line mansions get to their front door.  (The answer seems to be that they borrow stepladders from the yards of other houses, and get by well enough doing this, though once in a while they run into ugly problems when they really need up to that porch and there is no ladder to be found.)

What do you conclude about your house designer now?

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,08:31   

(afd: ) Just as several different codons can code for a particular protein (I think that's correct, right?--help me all you genetics experts).
(CH: ) Codons code for amino acids. This isn't something only genetics experts know, it is something anyone who claims to refute genetics should know.
And yet, afdave has a copy of this rather difficult to find paper from Nishikimi's group! You have to wonder what he does with it.

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

normdoering

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,08:33   

Quote (Chris Hyland @ May 15 2006,12:43)
I would expect it to be around the same as the general genetic similarity -- 95-97%.  This would be consistent with Design Theory.
Please explain how design theory predicts this and common descent does not. Why does evolution predict that the sequences would be 100% identical?

Yes, Dave, do explain the logic behind those claims. It's like you have never in your life comprehended the first basic principles of Darwin's theory.

Divergence between samples of chimpanzee and human DNA sequences is 5%, counting indels:
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/99/21/13633

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,08:38   

Quote (afdave @ May 15 2006,11:49)
I was not referring to you.  What I said was ...    
That would be like me saying "PT and TO people shouldn't quote researchers like Nikimishi and Inai ... they should do their own research!!"

Dave, Dave... You did not call TO or PT "armchair scientists". It was us you called that way.

And how could you, after all? The majority of people who post at TO and PT are all scientists in relative fields, most with substantial work of their own to display.
(That often leads to hilarious results: More than once, some creo troll has popped up at PT trying to prove that this or that work by an established researcher does not support the conclusion evos want... and then the authors themselves turn up and show him how he's full of it.)
And when they refer to the work of others in the field of evolution, they present their results; they don't tamper with the data, witholding some, twisting and distorting the rest, trying to show how the results are disputable or different. That's what AiG does. That's all AiG can do.

You have not shown me one lie they have told.  You have shown me that Dr. Wieland was uninformed about transcription direction being unimportant.  And I agreed with you. But you have not shown me that they lie.

Well, Dave, what can I say? If you think that the reason Dr.Wieland didn't even bother to look in a genetics textbook (to see that what he argued against was common everyday knowledge in genetics), was an "understandable mistake", or that Mr. Woodmorappe somehow forgot to mention the deletions in the two genes, and so accidentaly made it look like the substitutions alone (36% of which were similar) were the entire differences between the two genes, then there's nothing I can do. I can't show you how you're being misled if you don't want to even think about it.

Or am I to understand that human and ape GLO is 100% IDENTICAL?  Can someone confirm this for me?

Hmm... That's funny. You've never said anything about this before and now, out of the blue, you ask for it as "proof" for common descent four times... No, make that five. Could it be that, after all we said, you realized that they are not identical? Who said they were? The hominidae diverged from other primates millions of years ago, and a number of mutations has accumulated independently. I never said the two broken genes are 100% identical, dave, and you can look it up if you like: I said that the differences between them are minimal. Almost identical to our nearest primate relatives, somewhat more different with the more distant ones, but minimal enough to demonstrate their common descent from a single breaking event in the past.

Don't believe me? Fine. Read the link. Come on, Dave, I'm not even going to bother posting it again, after the six times that I've asked you to. Look it up, Read the lesson, take the test, and see the answers.
I'm not even going to ask you again: If you don't address them, I'll infer that you don't want to, and I'll regard this part of the discussion ended- with you two "points" back in your scoring system.
Well ... at least I am contributing entertainment value to everyone if nothing else ... think of me a side show at the carnival that you didn't have to pay for!

Oh come on dave... I don't mean this in an ironic way... I actually think your presence here is constructive for all. In our debate against you, we dust off basic knowledge we should remember, but had half-forgotten because we never had to use it (being, you know, basic). Also, we learn a lot of new things by reading each other's arguments and exchange knowledge in different fields than our own.

Now, if only you were willing to learn as well...  ???

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,08:47   

I would expect it to be around the same as the general genetic similarity -- 95-97%.  This would be consistent with Design Theory.

Please explain how design theory predicts this and common descent does not. Why does evolution predict that the sequences would be 100% identical?
Yes, afdave, as you can tell we're all on the edge of our seats.

Meanwhile, here's another prediction from evoluton relevant to the current discussion. I don't know if there is enough data available to check it yet, but I predict - based on evolution - that the divergence of the gulo pseudogene between primates will turn out to exceed the overall rate of divergence for non-broken, protein coding genes as you compare more and more distantly related primates. What does the "common designer" hypothesis predict about this?

--------------

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,10:32   

Indeed Russel, most of the mutations that seemed convergent between guinea pig and human are not, but are specific to the rat lineage. (I did a quick comparison using sequences from rat, pig, guinea pig, human and cow.)
In fact, this doesn't mean that evolution was faster in rats, since lots of mutations occured in the guinea pig lineage only (therefore are not shared with human). I should have thought of that.
In a segment of the gene, I counted 9 mutations in the rat lineage and 10 in the guinea pig lineage, after their divergence. A was expecting the latter to exceed to former by a higher margin. Maybe the loss of function of GULO in guinea pigs was rather recent, but still...

Now, the abstract you posted (Inai et al.) was actually misealding. They clearly imply (unconsciously?) that the gene copy in rats was the ancestor of the copies in humans and guinea pigs, which was a unwarranted assumption.

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,10:41   

Dave, no one understand why you want GLO to be 100% identical between human and chimps, since that's precisely what evolution doesn't predict. This pseudogene is not selected, so it can freely accumulate mutations at a high rate.
But if you want a 100% identical gene between human and chimpanzee, I can find one for you. Would you take it?

PS:  I already posted the 97% homology between human and chimps in GLO. You could have said that a convincing evidence for common descent would be a 98% identity.  ;)

stephenWells

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,11:02   

Quote (jeannot @ May 15 2006,15:41)
But if you want a 100% identical gene between human and chimpanzee, I can find one for you. Would you take it?

Of course he'll take it. He'll take it as evidence for creationism (aka Common Design).

The rules are:

Anything that's evidence for common descent is evidence for common design.
Anything that isn't evidence for common descent is evidence for common design.
Any evidence against common design does not exist, or isn't evidence.

This is the AFDave rule set, as inferred from his posts thus far.

Dave, were the chimpanzees created before humans (Genesis 1) or after (Genesis 2)?

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,11:05   

Dave, no one understand why you want GLO to be 100% identical between human and chimps, since that's precisely what evolution doesn't predict. This pseudogene is not selected, so it can freely accumulate mutations at a high rate.

I'm pretty sure the cytochrome c gene is exactly the same (all codons identical, not just the amino acids they code for) in humans and chimps.

Given that there are in the neighborhood of 10^93 functional versions of cytochrome c, there is little chance that human and chimp versions of the gene would even remotely resemble each other. Unless, that is, humans and chimps share a common ancestor.

--------------
2006 MVD award for most dogged defense of scientific sanity

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,11:06   

StephenWells:

Any evidence against common design does not exist, or isn't evidence.

Not necessarily. Sometimes (as in unique or bad designes), evidence against common design is evidence for a curse, or for the fall, or for the Designer having an unlimited imagination.

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,11:09   

I just thought this was the whole premise of Dr. Max's argument -- that a mistake was copied identically from the common ancestor to apes and also to humans.

If this is not the case, then he does not have an argument, in my opinion.

--------------
A DILEMMA FOR THE COMMITTED NATURALIST
A Hi-tech alien spaceship lands on earth ... DESIGNED.
A Hi-tech alien rotary motor found in a cell ... NOT DESIGNED.
http://afdave.wordpress.com/....ess.com

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,11:18   

He does not have an argument, in my opinion, if the error is not copied 100%.  Remember the copyright case that Dr. Max made an analogy to?

If we are just talking about the same difference as with other genes, then this is just as easily explained by common design as common descent.

Everyone else--I'll look at your points in the morning.

--------------

Ved

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,11:22   

a mistake was copied identically from the common ancestor to apes and also to humans.

What we're looking for, to confirm common descent is that yes, that exact mistake was copied, and also that other mistakes have accumulated independently since the split.

You know, mutations, selection, evolution...

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,11:24   

Quote (afdave @ May 15 2006,16:09)

*bangs head against wall*

And here we see the...ahem...fundamental problem.  There is black and white, same and different, and nothing else.  Degree and nature of similarity and difference are apparently far too subtle concepts for afdave to wrap his head around.  We saw this earlier...if humans and guinea pigs both had broken GLO genes, then, why, that must mean they were related, right?  If humans share about 97% of their DNA with chimps, then we should expect that any given stretch of DNA will be 97% similar. If the GLO genes of humans and other primates are not 100% identical, well, then there's no argument for common descent.  Dave really can't see how lame and erroneous these "deductions" are.  There is only ally and enemy, yes sir and no sir.  But when asked what he thinks of AIG's revealed misinformation, suddenly there is a complex gradient of lies, mistakes, reasons, etc. ...

*sigh*

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,11:25   

Quote (afdave @ May 15 2006,16:09)

I just thought this was the whole premise of Dr. Max's argument -- that a mistake was copied identically from the common ancestor to apes and also to humans.

No. This assumes no mutations whatsoever after the divergence of humans and chimps from their common ancestor.

You can't look at these things in isolation, Dave. You can't draw any comparisons just looking at the genome of humans and chimps. You have to look at them in comparison to more distantly-related organisms. And guess what? When you compare the genetic differences between humans and chimps, and humans and lemurs, and humans and rats, and humans and birds, and humans and insects, and humans and bacteria, you find that the further away you get from humans, the more differences you see. This is exactly what commond descent with modification would predict.

Of course, common design could predict the same thing. But common design would also predict no pattern whatsoever. Common design is compatible with any conceivable pattern of differences and similarities between and among taxa. Which is why common design is not a theory of anything.

--------------

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,11:27   

I'm pretty sure the cytochrome c gene is exactly the same (all codons identical, not just the amino acids they code for) in humans and chimps.

No, as Jeannot pointed out in an earlier thread, the gene for cytochrome c (DNA sequence) varies slightly between Pan and Homo, but because of the redundancy in the DNA code, the same protein sequence is synthesized.

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,11:28   

Dave, you don't seem to undestand what common descent really implies.

Only one mutation broke the gene function. After that, the pseudo-gene underwent a lot of mutations that could also have altered its function (deletions, stop codons), and most of them are shared by humans and chimps (and other apes).

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,11:34   

Quote (ericmurphy @ May 15 2006,16:05)

mmm, not Cytochrome C... but I'm pretty sure that the mitochondrial 16 S rRNA gene (and all rRNA genes after all) is 100% identical between human and chimp.

EDIT: Damned, they are slightly different!  :p
Well, maybe there isn't any identical gene between humans and chimps.

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,12:03   

Quote (jeannot @ May 15 2006,16:34)
mmm, not Cytochrome C... but I'm pretty sure that the mitochondrial 16 S rRNA gene (and all rRNA genes after all) is 100% identical between human and chimp.

EDIT: Damned, they are slightly different!  :p

When you say, "identical," do you mean a nucleotide-by-nucleotide match, or "identical" in the sense that they both code for identical proteins, or that they code for homologous proteins?

I was under the impression (from Theobald) that human and chimp cytochrome c genes code for the exact same protein sequence (i.e., the same amino acids in the same order). Is this incorrect?

--------------

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,12:08   

I meant 100% identical in nucleotide sequences, since I was talking about genes, not proteins.

normdoering

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,12:15   

Quote (jeannot @ May 15 2006,16:34)

That's possible, if there were, for example, 99% similarity in DNA sequences between two species and a gene were, for example, 1,000 base pairs long, then you'll average 10 mismatches per gene -- possibly making no difference in the amino acid resulting from it.

You expect natural selection to preserve the important patterns that a creature cannot survive and reproduce without and vestigial genes to be more mutated looking. But -- I don't think you can expect to find any strings over a thousand base pairs long anywhere to go unscathed as long as critical function is preserved..

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,12:15   

(jeannot: ) Now, the abstract you posted (Inai et al.) was actually misealding. They clearly imply (unconsciously?) that the gene copy in rats was the ancestor of the copies in humans and guinea pigs, which was a unwarranted assumption.
I assume you're referring to this:  
A comparison of the remaining human exon sequences with the corresponding sequences of the guinea pig nonfunctional GULO gene revealed that the same substitutions from rats to both species occurred at a large number of nucleotide positions.
I agree. That's either poorly worded or they really did think the rat gene was a reasonable approximation of the ancestral one. This may bear some relationship to the fact it's in an obscure journal.

Anyway, there's a serious point hiding in all of this. The authors may have been so enamored of the idea that a "broken" gene would diverge more rapidly after breaking that they uncritically ignored the obvious possibility that it occurred before that. That it should decay faster to one degree or another seems like a reasonable hypothesis, but what degree that is still needs work.

[And, of course, my criticism of the article should be taken with a grain of salt, as I haven't read it!;)]

--------------

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,15:03   

Please explain how design theory predicts this [degrees of DNA homology among species] and common descent does not. Why does evolution predict that the sequences would be 100% identical?
I do hope that afdave is planning to say more on this than:
If we are just talking about the same difference as with other genes, then this is just as easily explained by common design as common descent.
The common descent explanation is pretty obvious. It's by no means obvious why common design predicts anything at all. Why would the designer not stick with one gene for earthworms, rats, monkeys and humans? And, once we allow that, for whatever reason, the designer doesn't stick with one gene, why would the designer install a set of genes that shows exactly the sort of graded homology you'd expect from common descent? And why should all the genes follow the same family tree? Why wouldn't the designer want to use, say, some bird genes - presumably designed to accommodate an aerial lifestyle - for a bat? Why do all of a bat's genes seem to indicate a close relationship with rodents, and not some of them with, say, canaries?

See, common descent pretty much explains these things. You keep saying that they're "just as easily explained"  by common design. But somehow we never actually get that explanation. It's almost as if the whole "explanation" consists of saying that it's easily explained.

Likewise, after Dr. Max's thorough examination of the "shared error" argument, for you to simply say:
He does not have an argument, in my opinion, if the error is not copied 100%.  Remember the copyright case that Dr. Max made an analogy to?
is no rebuttal at all.

Here's an hypothesis: possibly opening up multiple threads in which to not address the key questions is what leads to the exasperation of certain Wesleys that shall remain unnamed.

--------------

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,15:30   

It's almost as if the whole "explanation" consists of saying that it's easily explained.

But the problem is, *difficult* explanations require knowledge.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2006,17:06   

Re "Why do all of a bat's genes seem to indicate a close relationship with rodents,"

According to Tree of Life , bats are closer to primates than they are to rodents. Doesn't affect the argument here, but I thought it was interesting anyway.

Henry

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 16 2006,02:34   

According to Tree of Life , bats are closer to primates than they are to rodents. Doesn't affect the argument here, but I thought it was interesting anyway.
Yeah, "rodents" was not the best choice of mammals I could have made (without handy reference tools, I think I was influenced by the German word, "Fledermaus"). But, of course, the point is that they're mammals, and their genes all reflect that.

Interestingly, now that I have consulted Richard Dawkins's "The Ancestor's Tale", I see he actually puts rodents a little closer to primates (having diverged 75 mya) than bats are (having diverged 85 mya). He puts bats in a large group called "laurasiatheres", that includes a bunch of other creatures I might have thought of as rodents (shrews, moles, hedgehogs), as well as dogs, horses and whales.

--------------

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 16 2006,03:29   

(pssst... afd:
this is your cue to cluck the "you evos can't even get your story straight, phylogeny du jour" routine.)

--------------

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: May 16 2006,04:27   

OK.  It's time for a review.  I started this thread with 3 items which to me argue powerfully against common descent of apes and humans.  You can go back to the start of the thread and read them fully if you like, but here they are ...

1-Complete Absence of Hominid Civilizations Today
2-Unconvincing Fossil Record
3-Enormous Non-physical Differences Between Apes and Humans

I also mentioned 2 possible implications of common descent which to me are kind of interesting to think about, but have nothing to do with proving or disproving common descent, so I will not bring them up again.

I then brought up the Vitamin C issue which was raised to me by Renier in another thread.  Renier said that he used to be a YEC but the "broken Vitamin C" commonality between apes and humans was the major issue that made him abandon the YEC position.

I read the link that Renier referred me to, "Plagiarized Errors and Molecular Genetics" by Dr. Edward E. Max, MD, PhD at Talk Origins.  I think you all know Dr. Max's argument.  He says that in the same way that plagiarism was proven in the copyright case because an error was duplicated, so also common descent is proven with apes and humans because their genomes contain the same error, namely the broken GULO gene.

I said that Dr. Max is making an unwarranted assumption in saying this for two possible reasons.  And at that time, I did not have enough information to know which was the most probable reason for his unwarranted assumption.  The two possible reasons were (I now put them in the order that I believe most likely) ...

Scenario 1-The GULO gene could have broken independently in apes and in humans.  The Inai article shows that it did indeed break independently in guinea pigs, so why should it not break independently in apes and humans?       OR ..

Scenario 2-The "broken" GULO gene was never a functional GULO gene in either apes or humans.  It always has had some unknown function and still does to this day.  Argystokes called this possibility "pseudo-GLO" and rightly asserted that we should be able to find this gene's homologue throughout the animal kingdom--even in animals that do have a functional GULO gene.

We went through some logic exercises comparing the DNA code to relatively unknown languages, and we went down a small rabbit trail with the AIG article and the whole "humans are more closely related to guinea pigs since they both have broken GULO and 36% similar substitutions" idea that AIG seems to be promoting.  To tell you the truth, I honestly don't even know what AIG is asserting exactly, but to me it has very little bearing (if any) on the main issue that we are discussing.

We ended up yesterday determining that the "broken" GULO gene is not 100% identical between apes and humans and you say that this is not predicted by evolution anyway.  OK fine. I think we agree that there is roughly 95% similarity as is also the case for most other genes compared between apes and humans.

So now we are back to Scenario 1 (I'm not sure anyone has ruled out Scenario 2, mind you ... if anyone has info to rule this out, please say so) and your contention is that 95% similarity of the broken GULO gene is powerful evidence of common descent, right?  

Well I disagree and here is why.

1-We have already seen that the GULO gene "broke" independently in guinea pigs.  Why should it not "break" independently in humans and apes?  I think Common Descent or Common Design can explain this equally well.  It is not deterministic between the two competing views.
2-You give me analogies of houses designed without steps but this is not analogous to the situation we have.  I will explain why, but let me first review the Creationist position.

Again, my Creationist Theory regarding apes and humans is that there was one pair of human "kind" ancestors and one pair of ape "kind" ancestors.  Now I do not have a formal definition of "kind" yet and I admit there may have been a "monkey kind" pair as well, but this is not important for the present discussion.  The general idea of Creationist Theory is that there were a relatively limited number of "kinds" created by God, and that God "programmed" enough genetic information into each separate genome so that each "kind" would be able to adapt to the various environments in which they found themselves as they spread out all over the earth.  Today, of course, we find that monkeys and apes have diversified into many different species and that humans also have diversified greatly.

If Scenario 1 above is confirmed, then it is perfectly logical to assume that the Creator designed apes and humans separately, then mutations later caused the GULO gene to break independently in both.  What is so unbelievable about this?  After all, it is a creationist prediction that organisms will accumulate more and more harmful mutations with each generation.  This has been heartily confirmed with fruit flies with "evolution on fast forward."  Why should it be any different with apes and humans?  The "missing steps on the houses" analogy does not apply because no creationist is proposing that apes or humans were originally designed with a broken GULO gene.  It is also perfectly consistent with Creationist Theory that apes and humans have 95% similarity in their genomes.  After all, why shouldn't they?  They do look about 95% similar in their morphology.  But this supports Common Design just as well as it supports Common Descent.  Sure, apes and humans could have had a common ancestor.  And if they did, we would expect to see 95% similarity, an apparently fused gene, etc.  But we would then have what I consider to be 3 enormous challenges outlined above.

Now I do realize that proposing a Creator is an enormous challenge to the intellect as well.  And I do appreciate your objections to this idea that you have voiced.  I admit that I have absolutely no idea how the Creator designed these creatures.  Does he have a neat "Animal Design Software" package that he has on His computer that he can "drag and drop" different animal parts, then hit "Process" and the computer spits out the genome?  I have no idea and I know it challenges the mind to try to imagine how any Supernatural Being could achieve the designs we see in Nature.  But to me it is an even larger mental challenge to envision how it all comes about by random mutation and natural selection.  The probabilities against evolution of gross morphological changes are staggering.  The experimental evidence is non-existent.  The fruit flies get damaged or killed when we "speed up evolution."  And where did the first single cell organism come from?  I don't think anyone has a clue about that.  The proposals for how the bacterial flagellum and other innovations might have evolved are just as "Alice-in-Wonderland-ish" to me as proposing a Creator.  I have read them.  They are a joke to me. The fossil record is extremely weak.  The "evidence" that the earth is millions of years old is based on unwarranted assumptions which I will show.  The typological perception of nature shown by Denton to exist at the molecular level is powerful confirmation of the Creationist model, not the common descent model (in spite of Talk Origins lame attempt to discredit it).  It is obvious that a global tectonic and hydraulic catastrophe was responsible for the universal phenomenon of sedimentary, fossiliferous rocks, not uniformitarian processes over millions of years.  More on all of these issues on my other thread.

But just because I have no idea how the Creator might have designed these creatures does not mean that He did not.  And I admit that I am not going to be able to "prove" to you that He did with the "Scientific Method" as you understand it. This is an extremely important point.  Scientists today do not admit certain kinds of evidence into the arena and I (and Meyer, et al) believe this is an enormous mistake.  To explain this simply, what you are really saying when you say that a "God Hypothesis" is unscientific, is that you rule out the "ET Hypothesis" that maybe an advanced civilization "planted" life here, and you rule out any possibility of any kind of Intelligence that could have been responsible for life here on earth.  This to me is ultra-naive.  Why are we so proud as to think there could be no advanced civilization that is far advanced in their technology so that they would be able to sit down at their computers and design 1000 or so distinct, original "kinds" and "plant them" here on earth?  Maybe we are one big "science experiment" to them. Or maybe it's not a civilization at all. Maybe its ONE SUPER-MIND, like God, for example.  To me, it is utter folly to rule out these possibilities.  And to really explore these issues, we need a broader definition of science than your definitions.  Falsifiability and some of the other demarcation criteria proposed last century must be dispensed with.  We need a robust science that admits all possibilities.  Quackery should not be defined and dictated by a ruling elite of naturalistic scientists.  We should allow quackery to take its course and wind up on the rubbish heap of junk science all by itself through action of the free market of ideas.  Allow astrology into the arena.  It will die a quick death on its own.  Allow Scientology and "Christian Scientists" into the arena.  They will die as well.  Allow homeopathy and acupuncture and everything else you can think of into the arena.  Who cares?  They will not gain a majority if they don't have any merit.  The only reason flat earthism and geocentrism gained a majority was because the ruling elite (the Catholic Church) force fed it to the people.  In my opinion, this is why neo-Darwinism has any following at all among the people.  It is basically being force fed by the "ruling elite" of the scientific community, which I think is quite heavily funded by the government.  

Now don't accuse me of thinking there is some kind of conspiracy among scientists.  I don't think that.  I just think there is a powerfully tempting idea out there among scientists called Darwinism, or naturalistic evolution, or whatever you want to call it.  Scientists like it because it requires no Creator and that has a lot of good implications from their perspective.  Younger scientists are taught this theory and want approval from superiors and peers alike.  So naturally they overlook some of the glaring difficulties and explain them away.  And so the cycle goes in academia.  But I do not think there is some hierarchy somewhere that is somehow planning to brainwash everyone with Darwinism.  I just think there is a government funded consensus and the result is that it has a similar effect as the medieval Catholic church did in that the people are force fed some rather strange views of Origins.

Anyway, back to the Vitamin C issue.  Let's get to the bottom line.  

It appears to me that no one here has a convincing argument that favors Common Descent over Common Design to explain the "broken" gene in both apes and humans.  Either one can explain it just as well.

Am I correct?  Or am I missing something?

(Note for Faid:  I know you are trying very hard to get me to see that the AIG people are a bunch of liars, so I'll tell you what I'll do.  I'll agree with you that they are all a bunch of liars and we all know what a liar I am--I've been told this many times here--and I would add that the Talk Origins people are probably liars as well, and probably many of you are also liars, and of course, the President is a liar and all Republicans are liars.  So why don't we just agree that we are ALL a bunch of liars, then we can agree on something and get on with arguing.  What do you think?  :-)

(One more note:  As a side issue, I am interested in hearing continuing dialog about the AIG paper by Woodmorappe and what your analysis is regarding what their argument even is and the various data which may confirm or refute it.  But I am more interested in people presenting actual relevant data to me as opposed to evolutionary analysis of that data.)

(And remember ... I WILL become an evolutionist if the evidence is convincing enough to me.)

--------------

argystokes

(Permalink) Posted: May 16 2006,05:12   

AF Dave wrote:

If Scenario 1 above is confirmed, then it is perfectly logical to assume that the Creator designed apes and humans separately, then mutations later caused the GULO gene to break independently in both.  What is so unbelievable about this?

Lack of parsimony (and remember, it's not just apes but monkees too).

If you went to church and saw half a dozen kids sitting together, and all had HUGE noses (way bigger than anyone else there, except for one of the adults sitting with them), you could conclude that each kid had a separate set of parents, and just happen to all be sitting together.  Or you could bust out Occam's Razor and conclude that they are siblings.  Oh, they also look a lot alike aside from their noses as well.  And there's no such thing as a bignose club.

--------------
"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" -Calvin

Occam's Toothbrush

(Permalink) Posted: May 16 2006,05:14   

I WILL become an evolutionist if the evidence is convincing enough to me

Tautology.  Once the evidence convinces you, you will be convinced.  This ignores that you've already decided what to believe, in the face of a planet full of evidence you've already demonstrated you're not willing/able to understand or accept.

--------------
"Molecular stuff seems to me not to be biology as much as it is a more atomic element of life" --Creo nut Robert Byers
------
"You need your arrogant ass kicked, and I would LOVE to be the guy who does it. Where do you live?" --Anger Management Problem Concern Troll "Kris"

685 replies since May 08 2006,03:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (23) < ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]