RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 357 358 359 360 361 [362] 363 364 365 366 367 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 19 2007,20:46   

Alright J-Dog.. we frequent the same haunts!

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 19 2007,20:50   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ Jan. 19 2007,17:47)

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Jan. 17 2007,15:00)
then

Can one of the IDers out there explain to me what the flying saucer has to do with the genome . . . . . . . ?

(snicker)  (giggle)

Here's the caption under the same illustration inside the book:

Figure 1d.  The library shown above represents the human genome (all our genetic information).  The spaceship represents the human phenome (our entire body, including our brain).  We cannot really imagine how extensive a library would have to be if it were to specify the fictional S.S. Phenome -- complete with warp-speed engines and a holodeck.  Wouldn't if have to be much larger than the library of Congress?  Yet it can be reasonably argued that a human is still more complex than a hypothetical S.S. Phenome (what type of starship could reproduce itself?).

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,00:35   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/1978

Salvador crows about some great new ID research:

(emphasis mine)

19 January 2007
Part of the Discovery Institute’s secret research program uncovered
scordova
Through a little detective work, I found out where some of the Discovery Institute’s research funding has gone. It was an obscure comment in a paper that clued me in. The funding was for an exploration into the fundamental Speed Limits of Naturalistic Evolution. What was the plight of this exploration?

Here is what the principal researcher, Walter ReMine, had this to say regarding the ordeal his work endured (from a post at ARN):

(blah blah blah)
Being that my paper is acknowledged as correct, yet rejected at three evolutionary journals (three strikes they’re out!), it is now published in the creationist journal, TJ, and available for free here.

I don't know how you silly evolutionists confuse Intelligent Design with creationism.

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,03:45   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Jan. 19 2007,20:46)
Alright J-Dog.. we frequent the same haunts!

Yes......I've been meaning to have a word with you about that Richard.

Coming home at all hours smelling of fish guts and cats piss from hanging around in that creo alley behind the church, while they gambol away their lives on the non roll of the dice or getting blind on cool aid and staggering around making fools of themselves with outrageous statements, baring their foolishness to the passing parade.

Now I know you have a good excuse ....'collecting material'..... but I suspect there might be more in it for you. Are you plying them with dice that don't roll or cool aid laced without irony?

Come on own up. Oh ...and have a shave and change your clothes.l

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,04:08   

I think OE is being overrun by trolls. Here's a new blog post:

Evolution: An idea on the verge of extinction

Most scientists are starting to realize that the Victorian English doctrine of "Evolution" is well-past it's use-by date. Every day, thanks to sites like this, scientists are starting to discover that Intelligent Design is the only solution to all of the gaps in evolutionary theory. Scientists are starting to realize that the very concepts upon which the "science" of evolution is based just do not make sense:
| SBWillie's blog | login or register to post comments | 7 points

http://www.overwhelmingevidence.com/oe....inction

and here's a reply:

littlejon | Tue, 2006-12-26 21:44

That stops the casual reader getting to your most important point about "survival of the fittest" being a tautology. This is an exciting new argument that no-one to the best of my knowledge has ever addressed.

Littlejon, A good comment
SBWillie | Tue, 2006-12-26 23:14

Littlejon, A good comment and I can understand your skepticism, however we must have faith in the scientific process that the TRUTH will out! I cannot believe that the Intelligent Designer is playing tricks on us, so I expect that most scientists (and I mean this literally) will come over to our side of the debate. Biotech firms which study virus and bacterial behavior have invested a great deal of money in their "evolutionary" pardigm. As soon as one biotech firm realize that it is a dead end, I predict the others will follow.

The phrase "Most Scientists" is actually realistic because the majority of people who work in science do not have anything to do with biotech matters. The Computer Scientists, Physicists, Geologists etc will soon change their talk when they realze that the Evolutionary Biologists have been leading them up the proverbial garden path!

and another

Truth is truth
HeLa | Tue, 2007-01-02 09:20

I personally think that science and religion have been artificially seperated. If something is a fact then it is a fact. Religion should acknoqledge that we owe the ordered universe to the creator, and any science project that does not take account of the fact that we live in a god-ordained ordered universe is doomed to fail.
login or register to post comments | 1 point

What is going on? Are these people for reals? Or is there a silent group of you guys who've decided to troll the place into the ground?

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,04:41   

Quote (stevestory @ Jan. 20 2007,04:08)
What is going on? Are these people for reals?

These posts sound pretty silly, indeed, but I see nothing surreal.
Didn't you know a few wingnuts who thought that your country was rulled by statanists or something?

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,06:46   

I think OE is being overrun by trolls. there a silent group of you guys who've decided to troll the place into the ground?

Just going to make an observation here.  Shortly after someone here outed the user 'Helena Blavatsky' as a troll, she stopped posting.  Further, after all the conversations a few days ago about whether citizenbob was a troll, he stopped posting.

You might want to consider that Patrick, OE blog czar, may be reading ATBC and purging the suspicious characters.  

PS. No, it isn't me. Trolling isn't my style.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,07:30   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Jan. 20 2007,06:46)
I think OE is being overrun by trolls. there a silent group of you guys who've decided to troll the place into the ground?

Just going to make an observation here.  Shortly after someone here outed the user 'Helena Blavatsky' as a troll, she stopped posting.  Further, after all the conversations a few days ago about whether citizenbob was a troll, he stopped posting.

You might want to consider that Patrick, OE blog czar, may be reading ATBC and purging the suspicious characters.  

if true, the funniest thing is that they have to come over here to find out who's trolling on their own board! Again, when you can't differentiate the trolls from the actual real life "ID curious" students, satire from reality, I would say to the entire ID movement it's time to pack it in!
I'm sure 1/2 of the posters at UD are troll's who've just not outed themselves yet - gotta earn instant posting privileges first!
My post on OW was deleted in no time, just some links for trouty to read before spouting off again on subjects he not only knows nothing about but is unwilling to learn anything about! Links to TA don't really last long on OW - and I wish they post this overwhelming evidence itself they keep banging on about, or is that like the super-secret research going on too?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,08:51   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Jan. 20 2007,07:46)

Roger that.

edit: For the record, the only posting I ever did on OE was under my own name. Shortly after OE went live, I registered an account under my name, and said something like "Well, this is a site to discuss ID, you've got about 20 pro-ID people here, you can handle one critic, right?" and put up 3-4 posts examining some of the pro-ID posts of luminaries like SChen and Troutmac. My account was disabled within about an hour, and my posts deleted. Standard operating procedure for the ID community.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,09:09   

Quote (jeannot @ Jan. 20 2007,05:41)
What is going on? Are these people for reals?

These posts sound pretty silly, indeed, but I see nothing surreal.
Didn't you know a few wingnuts who thought that your country was rulled by statanists or something?

Oh, yeah, it's plenty possible that they are genuine commenters. I'm just trying to guess. There's no way to tell for sure.

lkeithlu

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,09:58   

I've got evidence that the funding for ID super-secret research is used for T-shirt silk-screening equipment (interfaced, digital state-of-the-art, I'm sure of it)

http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/1976#comments

That's only part of the  story. Some also went to really fast desktop publishing software to generate cartoons.

Who do I call to get in on the action?

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,10:06   

I once got into some creationut's super-secret creationists-only email list, by pretending to be a geocentrist.  I posted lots of cut-and-pastes from "The Biblical Astronomer".  For some odd reason, not a single creationist on the list was able to give any scientific argument why any of the geocentrist stuff was wrong.  But they ALL wanted to discuss what particular Bible verses "really mean".

So maybe *I* am trolling the IDer's playpen.

Let them find me.

If they can.

(big fat evil grin)

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,10:23   

Quote (lkeithlu @ Jan. 20 2007,09:58)
I've got evidence that the funding for ID super-secret research is used for T-shirt silk-screening equipment (interfaced, digital state-of-the-art, I'm sure of it)

http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/1976#comments

That's only part of the  story. Some also went to really fast desktop publishing software to generate cartoons.

Who do I call to get in on the action?

Troutface get's it all wrong again    
I’m more than willing to take a shot at creating such a cartoon. I’m a graphic designer and illustrator and ID “enthusiast”. Which is funny to say… can you imagine a graphic designer who is “opposed” to intelligent design? Print materials designed by such a person would likely be chaotic, unorganized and illegible!

Hey, nobody designed this snowflake! Why would
"Print materials designed by such a person would likely be chaotic"
not be certain to be chaotic? Are doubts creeping in Trout-boy? Make your mind up.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,13:17   

I am Troutmac. I do his quantum stupid stuff in Jest.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Altabin

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,13:30   

Y'know, I thought you were, Richard.  I hope that no one from OE/UD reads your post, though.  It would be a shame if you were banned.

--------------

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,13:34   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Jan. 20 2007,13:17)

Really? How cool. I am Dave Scot (just biding my time hehehehe).

No. I am Spartacus.

No! I am Brian..........and so's my wife!

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,13:44   

Quote (Altabin @ Jan. 20 2007,13:30)
Y'know, I thought you were, Richard.  I hope that no one from OE/UD reads your post, though.  It would be a shame if you were banned.

But-but

If Richard is Trout, who will be left  to ban him?

:O

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

Altabin

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,13:54   

Quote (Faid @ Jan. 20 2007,20:44)

Quote (Altabin @ Jan. 20 2007,13:30)

But-but

If Richard is Trout, who will be left  to ban him?

:O

But Richard, as Troutmac, you were never given administrative powers over OE, were you (though it would have been cool if you had been)?  I'm sure that that's left to Patrick, SChen etc.

Anyway, we should probably all keep stumm about this.  Richard/Troutmac has provided a great deal of entertainment; I don't want it to end quite yet!

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,13:59   

That's as may be, but I am the real Richard Hughes.

Checkmate.  :angry:

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,14:06   

DaveScot

01/19/2007

3:47 pm
Matt

You’re wrong about Win95. Plug & Play connectivity to the internet for the masses began with it. I know, I was a key engineer at Dell working closely with Microsoft before the Win95 rollout, I knew at the time it would open the internet floodgates, and I made millions by betting on it. Win95 Beta test versions became widely available in 1994 and by early 1995 were quite stable. It was the largest beta test program in the history of computing.

You’re also misinterpreting the graph. If you look at where the data points were plotted you’ll see it’s every two years. Something special hadn’t happened by the time the 1995 sample was plotted but when the 1997 sample was something big had happened in the prior 2 years and when the 1999 sample was plotted whatever it was had continued.

Between 1993 and 1995 there was increasing access to the World Wide Web but it was mostly confined to large corporations and academia. AOL was growing fast but it was a proprietary network much like CompuServe. These however did set the groundwork and I’d been involved with them all beginning in 1991. In 1993 I became aware of the WWW and by 1994 I realized that a Plug & Play solution for getting a PC onto the internet for home users would be the killer app to end all killer apps for home computers. I was right. The rest is history.

Wow, just friggin wow!

I haven't seen bragging like this since I was in junior school (roughly, school between age 6-11 for the colonials [and any younger-than-me Brits<which probably means most here>]).

EDIT: I can't understand why DeTards name was never mentioned in any course I ever took on data comms. I wonder, maybe he might exagerate his own importance?

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,14:13   

Quote (Stephen Elliott @ Jan. 20 2007,15:06)

DaveScot

01/19/2007

3:47 pm
Matt

You’re wrong about Win95. Plug & Play connectivity to the internet for the masses began with it. I know, I was a key engineer at Dell working closely with Microsoft before the Win95 rollout, I knew at the time it would open the internet floodgates, and I made millions by betting on it. Win95 Beta test versions became widely available in 1994 and by early 1995 were quite stable. It was the largest beta test program in the history of computing.

Did DaveTard just admit to insider trading?

Altabin

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,14:32   

Troutmac/Richard:

Well, here's how, as a Bible-believing Christian, I think humans are "better" than animals: Because God created humans to be a finite representation of Himself. He didn't create animals to represent Himself in the same way. We have a conscience… an innate concept of morality. Animals do not. It's amazing that a professor at a Christian university doesn't understand this.

This is too obvious trollery.  Remember, ID has nothing to do with religion.  Try to keep in character, Richard.  They'll be on to you.

I'll shut up now.   ;)

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,17:57   

We're friggin' BUSTED.  

20 January 2007

Bats fly uniquely.
idnet.com.au

In case any one accidentally comes to the (?obvious) conclusion that the finding of yet more evidently brilliant design in biology may support ID, everyone must include the customary clear homage to the creator of all life, NDE.

Science Daily “Kenneth Breuer and Sharon Swartz are determined to understand the detailed aerodynamics of bat flight – and ultimately the evolutionary path that created it.”

“The assumption has always been that bats evolved from some sort of flying squirrel-type animals,” says Swartz an associate professor in ecology and evolutionary biology at Brown University. “Gliding has evolved in mammals seven times…. Now it doesn’t look like bats have any relationship to these gliding things.”

“Interestingly both Breuer and Schwartz remark that it took them months to find a common language and set of expectations.”

See?

No? Maybe I can clarify.

One of the authors, Swartz, is an associate professor in ecology and evolutionary biology at Brown University, and is interested in how bats evolved their capabilities.

See?  Busted!  See?!

They are using research to challenge assumptions. They coordinated expectations as they designed their experiment.  

Assumptions.  Evolutionary biologists studying evolution.  EXPECTATIONS, for God's sake.  Oh, the italics, the italics.

(OK, OK, I don't get it either.)

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,18:15   

bFast 01/20/2007 3:50 pm    
As far as I am conserned the whole “sexual selection” hypothesis totally collapses in light of reality.
I am the adoptive father of two girls who are the product of an FAS, mentally handicapped mother. She seems to breed like a rabbit. She has no trouble finding another partner. I, on the other hand, a fellow with a good career and above average intelligence was not able to establish a solid romantic relationship until I was 40. Watching those that are low on the evolutionary totem pole breed like rabbits (and my daughters’ birth-mother is surely not the only one) has caused me to conclude that this theory is, well, full of it.

Okay, so what did we learn here?

(1) bFast adopted two kids...that's great, noble, A Good Thing ( unless bFast manages to stunt their intellectual growth to equal his).

(2) bFast thinks that HUMAN sexual selection means that the "mentally handicapped" (undefined in his example) are LESS likely to find willing casual sex partners. This is beyond ignorant.

Conversely, bFast is stating that "sexual selection" means males prefer increasingly intelligent women to have sex with.

By his reasoning, males shouldn't be lusting after Playboy models, but instead seeking out and avidly competing for Rhodes scholars. Like Pamela Anderson, Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears, or Lindsay Lohan --just to cite some current "sex goddesses?"

Or for a man of bFast's age...maybe he DIDN'T really lust after those hot babes of the 1970's and '80's -- he really wanted a tryst with Golda Meir and Madeleine Albright  

(3) bFast thinks that the less intelligent are " low on the evolutionary totem pole." in HUMAN societies, at THIS time in history.

This statement is more a reflection of bFast's own bitter, biased, ego-centric views than an honest appraisal of sexual selection. I have no real idea of the extent to which his adopted children's mother is "mentally handicapped" or how bFast is ignoring the historical, biological and social science data that downplays the role of female intelligence in MALE sexual selection. I do know, however, that  bFast is guilty of the worst sort of twisting and perversion of selection theory, game theory, human psychology, etc.

I have a very good idea of why you couldn't find a relationship up to your forties, bFast.

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,18:20   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Jan. 20 2007,13:59)

That's as may be, but I am the real Richard Hughes.

Checkmate.  :angry:

You magnificent, handsome bastard..

--------------

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,18:26   

You magnificent, handsome bastard..

Get a room and get OUTTA here, HOMOS! - ds

--------------

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,18:44   

" I am Elmer D. Scot, miwwionaiwe, I have a mansion and a yacht."

(Note:  For those unfamiliar with the reference, it's from a Warner Brothers' " Looney Tunes" cartoon, with Bugs Bunny and Elmer J. Fudd.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_Fudd http://seangaffney.livejournal.com/239653.html

--------------

Mike PSS

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,18:50   

Quote (deadman_932 @ Jan. 20 2007,19:15)
bFast 01/20/2007 3:50 pm        
As far as I am conserned the whole “sexual selection” hypothesis totally collapses in light of reality.
I am the adoptive father of two girls who are the product of an FAS, mentally handicapped mother. She seems to breed like a rabbit. She has no trouble finding another partner. I, on the other hand, a fellow with a good career and above average intelligence was not able to establish a solid romantic relationship until I was 40. Watching those that are low on the evolutionary totem pole breed like rabbits (and my daughters’ birth-mother is surely not the only one) has caused me to conclude that this theory is, well, full of it.

Okay, so what did we learn here?

(1) bFast adopted two kids...that's great, noble, A Good Thing ( unless bFast manages to stunt their intellectual growth to equal his).

(2) bFast thinks that HUMAN sexual selection means that the "mentally handicapped" (undefined in his example) are LESS likely to find willing casual sex partners. This is beyond ignorant.

Conversely, bFast is stating that "sexual selection" means males prefer increasingly intelligent women to have sex with.

By his reasoning, males shouldn't be lusting after Playboy models, but instead seeking out and avidly competing for Rhodes scholars. Like Pamela Anderson, Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears, or Lindsay Lohan --just to cite some current "sex goddesses?"

Or for a man of bFast's age...maybe he DIDN'T really lust after those hot babes of the 1970's and '80's -- he really wanted a tryst with Golda Meir and Madeleine Albright  

(3) bFast thinks that the less intelligent are " low on the evolutionary totem pole." in HUMAN societies, at THIS time in history.

This statement is more a reflection of bFast's own bitter, biased, ego-centric views than an honest appraisal of sexual selection. I have no real idea of the extent to which his adopted children's mother is "mentally handicapped" or how bFast is ignoring the historical, biological and social science data that downplays the role of female intelligence in MALE sexual selection. I do know, however, that  bFast is guilty of the worst sort of twisting and perversion of selection theory, game theory, human psychology, etc.

I have a very good idea of why you couldn't find a relationship up to your forties, bFast.

I wonder which -ism bFast is expressing here, or what his belief is based upon.

I think I recognize some mental onanism.

And his expression is compatible within fideism.  

Yeah.  That's It.  Mental onanism within a fideism framework...

In the study...

With a candlestick...

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,19:58   

In the study...

With a candlestick...

Why, does somebody need a "Clue"? ;)

Henry

Mike PSS

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 20 2007,20:09   

Quote (Henry J @ Jan. 20 2007,20:58)

In the study...