RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >   
  Topic: Galapagos Voyage, 'Cause the moon landing was faked, too!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2007,11:31   

Okay, some of my photos are up at Flickr. I'll post stuff here as well. (I'm at work, I shouldn't be doing this...) :)

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2007,12:06   

I just want to say right off that in person, Richard Dawkins is really very warm and funny. He’s just uncomfortable with people fawning over him (unlike a certain ID theorist with a bloated CV that I could mention) and only wants to relate to people as an equal and talk about what’s important to him. He has his standoffish moments but I found him to be very approachable and sweet. (He kind of sought me out a bit so I think I can say that we bonded – this was a really good group to be with but there were definitely some irritating personalities aboard.) When we were walking around Santiago (James) Island, the tide was coming in and he and Josh Timonen (webmaster for richarddawkins.net) started imitating Bill O’Reilly: “The tides go up, the tides go down” and laughing. :)

In the panga on the way back to the ship, I noticed a star in the sky and asked if it was Jupiter. Richard said that it was Venus (sorry, Richard, I still think it was Jupiter) and Marcella, our naturalist, exclaimed, “Penis?!” “No, Venus, not penis!” Richard fired back, making her laugh, and I said, “Penis – the evening star.” David, one of the guests who was sitting next to me, cracked, “For me, it’s the morning star.” We were all sniggering as we boarded the ship. :D

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2007,12:20   

Congratulations, and welcome back.  It looks like you had a GREAT time, while we wereall here fighting against the evil forces of darkness that is ID!

We managed to rid the world of Falwell, while you were off galavanting in theh Galapagos, and having a fling with The Godless King...

BUT at least you DID manage to take some good pictures of bare boobies, so thanks!

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2007,12:41   

Quote (J-Dog @ May 24 2007,11:20)

while you were off galavanting in theh Galapagos, and having a fling with The Godless King...

Don't torture me! He is, ahem, also extremely attractive - and married - and I think he thought of me as a daughter :( (a lot of people mistook me for being a lot younger than I am), but that's okay, I indulged in my silly little dreamy-dreams anyway. :)

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2007,13:07   

Quote (Kristine @ May 24 2007,12:41)

while you were off galavanting in theh Galapagos, and having a fling with The Godless King...

Don't torture me! He is, ahem, also extremely attractive - and married - and I think he thought of me as a daughter :( (a lot of people mistook me for being a lot younger than I am), but that's okay, I indulged in my silly little dreamy-dreams anyway. :)

Well.... I think you are now totally cured of your TOTALLY UNHEALTHY Dr. Dr. Dembski fixation at last!
I know that women are supposed to like bad boys, but Dembksi is soooo creepy.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2007,13:28   

Quote (Kristine @ May 24 2007,12:41)

Well, lah-de-dah! While you unkempt slobs were grubbing away in your cubicles pretending to work, *I* was down by the equator, swanning around the Galapagos, working on my tan, and drinking margaritas with Richard Dawkins and the finches holding cactus needles in their beaks. Well, LAH DE DAH!  :p

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2007,13:41   

Quote (J-Dog @ May 24 2007,12:07)
Well.... I think you are now totally cured of your TOTALLY UNHEALTHY Dr. Dr. Dembski fixation at last!
I know that women are supposed to like bad boys, but Dembksi is soooo creepy.

Dr. Dr. who? ;)

Aww, I think Arden missed me. If somebody will be nice, somebody will get shimmies.

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2007,14:01   

In this picture, I couldn't help but notice the iguanas are exactly the same color as the volcanic rocks on the beach. So like the bananas that fit my hand so well, so too does this disprove evolution! cha-CHING!

USA! USA! USA!

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2007,16:31   

Okay, smarty: explain these iguanas. They're pink.

*Dangles shimmy enticingly*

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2007,16:52   

Quote (Kristine @ May 24 2007,16:31)

Very simple!

Darwinists claim that iguanas EVOLVED to be the same color as the rocks.

But obviously those iguanas are NOT the same color as the rocks!

Therefore, Darwinism is wrong! Darwinism fails! I win again!

[pumps fist triumphantly]

USA! USA! USA!

PS: Has anyone considered the possibility that the rocks evolved to be the same color as the iguanas?

--------------

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2007,18:10   

In the picture of the "garden"...

what are the circles and cone supposed to represent?

...and who is that admiring the cone in the middle?

was there a lot of fog; seems like some serious marine layer in several of the pics.

you have a good eye, btw, (which might or might not mean something as photography is how i make my living these days).  I really liked the turtle nest shot; decent composition and colors.

was it too late to see any of the little guys up close?

I also enjoyed the Las Bachas, Santa Cruz shot.  Made me hungry for tropical beaches again.

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2007,22:00   

Quote (Ichthyic @ May 24 2007,17:10)

In the picture of the "garden"...

what are the circles and cone supposed to represent?

...and who is that admiring the cone in the middle?

Good question about what it represents; we didn't know either. The stones formed a spiral to the cone thingie and people walked it like a labyrinth. The man in the photo is George Flynn, on the trip from Chicago with his wife Rita. Rita and I were organizing a trip to the Gold Museum but unfortunately, we ran out of time.

was there a lot of fog; seems like some serious marine layer in several of the pics.

There was a lot of fog - it reminded me of being in the mountains of Jamaica. At one point the view of the caldera was completely clear and you could see the farms below (I believe this is still an active volcano!;) but I didn't have my camera out.
you have a good eye, btw, (which might or might not mean something as photography is how i make my living these days).  I really liked the turtle nest shot; decent composition and colors.

Wow. Thanks!
was it too late to see any of the little guys up close?

Or too early; we were told to keep to the path since the turtles were nesting. I would have liked to have seen the race to the surf (or maybe not, with the birds plucking them).
I also enjoyed the Las Bachas, Santa Cruz shot.  Made me hungry for tropical beaches again.

Oh yeah! I snorkled for the first time in my life and became hooked. The water is colder than in the Caribbean though.

There's more to come! :)

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2007,22:06   

I snorkled for the first time in my life and became hooked.

welcome my friend, to the show that never ends.

I highly recommend you learn to SCUBA (and when you do, I've got some suggestions for places to vist :) ).  

completely different world.

here's  a (very) few pics of mine (still working on the design):

http://home.earthlink.net/~tjneal/

btw, I know that there was a big bruhaha a while back about local and international fisherman breaking the no fishing zone laws around the preserve.

did you hear of any updates on that issue while you were there?

--------------

-CC

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2007,22:37   

Yaaaa! That's an eye! :)

Cool pics. Scubaing is expensive, but I'll consider it. Thank you. (I'm going to be paying off this trip for some time now.) ;)

Just before we left Toni at the CFI sent us a notice from the Ecuadoran government that they are clamping down on illegal fishing and immigration, but I can't find it. Yes, we heard about the problem from the naturalists, and from the captain when I dined at his table (yes, I also got to dine with the captain!;). And that shot of the fishing boat being towed gives you an idea. The problem is huge, and Ecuador doesn't have a huge navy to patrol the waters.

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: May 24 2007,23:08   

*sigh*

goddamn US govt was SUPPOSED to provide coast guard and monetary aid for this issue over 5 years ago.

most likely it will end up being too little, too late.

damnit.

--------------

-CC

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 26 2007,13:21   

Quote (Kristine @ May 24 2007,16:31)

Hey, what happened to those shimmies I was promised??  :angry:

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: May 26 2007,13:40   

Quote (Kristine @ May 25 2007,05:00)
Oh yeah! I snorkled for the first time in my life I...hook...There's more...come! :)

Quote mined!

But enough about your "interactions" with famous atheist biologists, how was you trip to the Galapagos?

{drum hit}

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: May 26 2007,23:00   

Quote (Arden Chatfied @May 26 2007 @ 12:21)
PS: Has anyone considered the possibility that the rocks evolved to be the same color as the iguanas?

Okay, okay, Arden. Since that made me laugh, you'll get shimmies, but I warn you, intelligent design gives me stage fright!

*Shimmy!* There, happy? :)

Oh, Louis, Louis. The man thought I was a kid! *Sigh* He was a dear, though.

But I'll tell you what, I got a kiss from one of the crew members! (But kissing is pretty common in Ecuador.)

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: May 27 2007,02:46   

Quote (Ichthyic @ May 24 2007,23:08)
*sigh*

goddamn US govt was SUPPOSED to provide coast guard and monetary aid for this issue over 5 years ago.

most likely it will end up being too little, too late.

damnit.

Don't count on that one working out that way. In me experience, that equals a pair of boats and a diplomat. And a few other things. Just not a ton of will there.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: May 27 2007,02:49   

Quote (Kristine @ May 26 2007,23:00)
Quote (Arden Chatfied @May 26 2007 @ 12:21)

Okay, okay, Arden. Since that made me laugh, you'll get shimmies, but I warn you, intelligent design gives me stage fright!

*Shimmy!* There, happy? :)

Oh, Louis, Louis. The man thought I was a kid! *Sigh* He was a dear, though.

But I'll tell you what, I got a kiss from one of the crew members! (But kissing is pretty common in Ecuador.)

*sigh* something happens in a guy when 35 is absolutely a kid. The smart ones hit themselves with a hammer but the rest of us just smile, write checks to wedding planners and agree with our wives.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 31 2007,09:18   

Quote (Emanuel Goldstein @ May 31 2007,09:13)
The picture of Kristine with Dawkins do not look like the pics of Kristine on her site.

A little exaggeration in advertising, perhaps. :D

Don't be snide. Jebus doesn't like it. Nor you, probably.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Rev. BigDumbChimp

(Permalink) Posted: May 31 2007,10:24   

Quote (Emanuel Goldstein @ May 31 2007,09:13)
The picture of Kristine with Dawkins do not look like the pics of Kristine on her site.

A little exaggeration in advertising, perhaps. :D

Legion the troll.

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: May 31 2007,11:49   

('Scuze me, isn't advertising by definition an exaggeration?) Well, I had some dashing competition there, bub! :)

If Lalla had been on the trip, nobody would have looked at me at all, so cut me some slack, huh? :D

At any rate, don't come, don't come, Emanuel to ransom captive bloggerette if you don't likey whaty you see! I have a sig other anyways. :p

However (just in case any of you human beings out there is feeling cheated), all the pics on my site are indeed of me. Taken recently. (I must clean up real good.)

THE REAL ME: I'm ugly, LOL!

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: May 31 2007,12:20   

Meh, I've done worse.

{runs away giggling}

Louis

P.S. I wonder how much trouble this comment can get me into. Joy!

--------------
Bye.

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: May 31 2007,12:40   

Quote (Louis @ May 31 2007,11:20)

Meh, I've done worse.

{runs away giggling}

Louis

P.S. I wonder how much trouble this comment can get me into. Joy!

You've done worse? What's that mean? Can this mysterious commenter be...

...Emanuel Louis? Heh! How's yer acting career going?

*Runs away shimmying*

Bring it. Bring it. I can take it. :)

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: May 31 2007,14:39   

Quote (Kristine @ May 31 2007,12:40)

Well,  I have too much respect for you to take any potshots, but the background vista in that picture did make me think of a new marketing slogan.

Galapagos:  Come for the boobies, stay for the large tracts of land.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: May 31 2007,23:57   

MRS CARLSONJOK. HAR HAR HAR.

SHE HAZ TEH SEXI_HAWT SHOEZ.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: June 01 2007,04:11   

Quote (Kristine @ May 31 2007,19:40)

But enough about what it says on the wall of the AtBC toilets, how were the Galapagos?

;-)

Louis

P.S. Tee hee.

--------------
Bye.

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: June 01 2007,10:03   

Well, the animals there are pretty cool.

Not snobs, like walruses, for example.

:)

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: June 05 2007,16:58   

Well I don't know if people are still interested but here are some photos of the tortoises on Santa Cruz island, taken by someone else as I was enferma on that day and huddled in my shell.

The rest are at my friend Flickr as always.

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

59 replies since May 24 2007,11:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]