RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 219 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226 227 228 229 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
someotherguy

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,10:46   

The gods smile upon those of use who are addicted to the the creationist culture wars:

Michael Behe is writing a new book!

Thinking about all the wonderfully hilarious PT and ScienceBlogs smackdowns this book will produce puts a smile on my face.

--------------
Evolander in training

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,10:58   

From Behe's new book:

Can RM and NS explain the fracterial blagella? To be honest I haven't checked. But I'm sure God would have written about it in the bible if it were true.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,11:35   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 26 2006,10:10)
Mi spelink iz impekable, Oakay?

I didnt know you were Russian...

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,11:41   

I'm barely in a hurry.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,11:59   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 26 2006,16:41)
I'm barely in a hurry.

But seriously, have we been a great audience?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,12:07   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Sep. 26 2006,16:59)
I'm barely in a hurry.

*Glares at Arden*

The 10 o'clock show is completely different.

Don't forget to tip your server.

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,13:13   

Quote (someotherguy @ Sep. 26 2006,16:46)
The gods smile upon those of use who are addicted to the the creationist culture wars:

Michael Behe is writing a new book!

Thinking about all the wonderfully hilarious PT and ScienceBlogs smackdowns this book will produce puts a smile on my face.

Continuing the important and controversial work begun in his best-selling DARWIN'S BLACK BOX, this book explores the ragged border of the most influential idea of our time—Darwinian evolution. In a nutshell, undiluted Darwinism says that life developed strictly through the interplay of chance and natural selection. Random mutations thrown up by genetic mistakes spread if they helped a lucky mutant to leave more offspring than others of its species. Incessant repetition of this simple process over eons didn't just modify the fringes of life. It built the wonders of biology from the ground up, from the intricate molecular machinery of cells up to and including the human mind.

That's the official story, anyway, which is often presented as a package deal—take it or leave it. Yet Darwin's multifaceted theory has to be sifted carefully, because it actually contains a number of unrelated, entirely separate ideas. Scientific reasoning, like many other intellectual endeavors, is simply a chain of logic built on facts and assumptions. This book assumes any well-informed, reasoning person—PhD or no—can critique the logical chain, question the supposed facts, and challenge the assumptions.

To help us see what random mutation and natural selection can really do, this book takes an unusual approach. In order to get a realistic idea of the power of Darwinian evolution, it leaves behind most of the popular images—dinosaurs, wooly mammoths, pretty Galapagos finches—to focus mainly on the invisible foundation of biology, the molecular world of the cell. There are two vital reasons for this: First, mutations—the fuel of Darwinian evolution—are themselves molecular changes, where the DNA of an organism is accidentally altered from that of its parents. Second, the most intricate work of life takes place at the level of molecules and cells. Imperceptible molecules are the foundational level of life. So, to locate the edge of evolution, we have to examine life's foundation.

"So, you tards have a theory yet?"
"Evolution is wrong!"
"We've been over this. That's not a theory. Do you have a theory?"
"Yes. Our theory is that evolution is wrong."
"...(sigh)..."

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,13:37   

OverwhelmingEvidence.com is no longer simply parked.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,13:52   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Sep. 26 2006,19:37)

i see.

Overwhelming Evidence.com! Pretending slogans are science since 2006!

Blog blog blog! We're doing too many experiments these day and not enough blogging!!!!!

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,13:53   

on the front page of the OE site:

-Score points and earn prizes

sell cookies and earn a merit badge.

*sigh*

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,13:55   

Quote (Ichthyic @ Sep. 26 2006,19:53)
sell cookies and earn a merit badge.

Act like a tard and lose in court!

Wait, forget I said that!

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,14:47   

I don't want to start a new thread for that site yet, but if it proves to be a valuable source of entertainment, I will. In any case, loitering around there introduced me to the following odd news.

Church mourns pastor
electrocuted during baptism

By John Hall

Texas Baptist Communications

WACO--Kyle Lake, 33-year-old pastor of the innovative University Baptist Church in Waco, was electrocuted and died Oct. 30 after he grabbed a microphone while in a baptistry full of water.

Eyewitnesses reported Lake grabbed the microphone to adjust it while standing in the baptismal waters. He was shocked and collapsed.

More than 800 people witnessed the event, which happened on the same weekend as Baylor University's homecoming. Doctors in the congregation tried for 40 minutes to revive Lake. He was sent to Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 11:30 a.m. The woman Lake was to baptize survived the incident.

I'm not going to comment on that.

Anyway, looking around OverwhelmingEvidence(We'reWrong).com some more...

Per Chance

It seems that there is a certain amount of confusion surrounding the word "chance." I think it is often used to refer to processes whose outcomes we do not (perhaps cannot) know with certainty. This does not however mean that the processes themselves somehow just occur without cause. But this, I think, is what many take it to mean.

Thoughts?

| TReid's blog | 1 comment | 0 points
Submitted by TReid on Mon, 2006-06-12 20:16.

You don't want to know what I'm thinking.

argystokes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,14:56   

From OE:
My name is Samuel Chen and I am a student at the Honors College at Baylor University in Waco, Texas (though I am from Pennsylvania). I direct the Intelligent Design Undergraduate Research Center (www.idurc.org) and am a representative of the Access Research Network (www.arn.org) and a member of the Intelligent Design Evolution Awareness Center (www.ideacenter.org).

They have a research center?  Full of undergraduates?  I wonder who the head PI is?

--------------
"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" -Calvin

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,14:59   

I like this part

Overwhelming Evidence is a site where high school students can network and communicate their views on intelligent design and evolution.

We believe that today's students are smarter than they are given credit for, and that rather than being told what to believe, they have the ability to explore the range of possibilities and figure out what to believe on their own.

Wow.  OE is like a teenage version of AFDave's "Lies4Kids", only even more underhanded.

This new site reminds me a lot of the old cigarette ad campaign with "Joe Camel", where teens were manipulated with things like "We say smoking is for ADULTS only, so if you're not ADULT enough , DON'T SMOKE".  Substitute ID for SMOKE and you get the picture.

Nothing like pandering to the desperate desire of adolescent kids' to be grown up to sell the product.

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"If it required a mind, planning and design, it isn't materialistic."
"Jews and Christians are Muslims."

- Joke "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest YEC.

someotherguy

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,15:24   

From "Darwinoctonus" blog at Overwhelming (lack of) Evidence:

I'm delighted that this site is up and running. I hope to see it generate much fruitful discussion. Students are systematically being disenfranchised by the powers that be, being force fed an overwhelmingly unsupported theory (Darwinism) and given no alternatives. This site represents a sea change in the current debate.

(emphasis mine)

"That word, I do not think it means what you think it means. . ."

--------------
Evolander in training

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,15:43   

Quote (someotherguy @ Sep. 26 2006,21:24)
and given no alternatives. This site represents a sea change in the current debate.

This site represents yet another ID blog, which seems to be all ID is good for.

Seven Popes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,16:38   

They have a new user, Davetard!
edit: and
pwnedbyjones
Pwned is apparently videogamer slang for "owned", to be "owned" is to be humiliated by an opponent.
Wiki
The slang term pwn (pron. pown [as in p+own] or phoned), a term used primarily in the Internet gaming culture, means to defeat an opponent with little or no competition. In this context, to be pwned can be defined as "to get your butt kicked," with the strong connotation of also having been "made a fool of." It is generally used for taunting of a player's in-game enemies, and rubbing in any victories.

--------------
Cave ab homine unius libri - Beware of anyone who has just one book.

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,17:21   

<sarcasm on> Boy, that new blog reminds me of those early days full of heady excitement when the only people who accepted relativity were Einstein and the small bunch of Swiss high school kids who formed his fan club.  Do you remember how, using nothing more than logic, simple rhetoric, and the occasional fib, they worked their ideas into high-school physics classes and thereby convinced the entire scientific establishment to change their operating paradigm? That was truly one of the great moments of intellectual history, so can you imagine how thrilled I feel to be around for the start of something even greater.  Or not.

Think how much easier it would be for the IDists to convince people of their ideas if they would just lay out a bunch of supporting evidence.  I can't imagine why they don't do that.

someotherguy

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,17:33   

Quote (Seven Popes @ Sep. 26 2006,21:38)
pwnedbyjones
Pwned is apparently videogamer slang for "owned", to be "owned" is to be humiliated by an opponent.
Wiki
The slang term pwn (pron. pown [as in p+own] or phoned), a term used primarily in the Internet gaming culture, means to defeat an opponent with little or no competition. In this context, to be pwned can be defined as "to get your butt kicked," with the strong connotation of also having been "made a fool of." It is generally used for taunting of a player's in-game enemies, and rubbing in any victories.

LOL.  Here's hoping the site gets overrun by sarcastic, Evilutionistic Darwinists! :D

--------------
Evolander in training

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,18:19   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 26 2006,17:07)

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Sep. 26 2006,16:59)

I'm barely in a hurry.

*Glares at Arden*

The 10 o'clock show is completely different.

Don't forget to tip your server.

How about a hand for William Dembski, everybody! Isn't he a great sport!

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week!

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,18:22   

Quote (Seven Popes @ Sep. 26 2006,21:38)
pwnedbyjones
Wiki

Pwned comes from the counterstrike 1.3 release where the P90 was introduced and horribly mis-balanced, allowing you to kill at will.

--------------

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,19:49   

One thing caught my attention looking at the blogs (warning: your didn't think I could sink any lower in your esteem, I'm about to disprove it).

The two most recent posts are from yesterday (the 26th).  The previous post is from July.  Similarly the posts in the fora: a couple of recent ones, and then stuff from July or earlier.

According to Dembski, the site was "not yet up and running" on the 10th August (
link).  So how could people post blog entries and forum comments?

Curious.

Bob

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,20:01   

ID book banning shock!

Yes, Pandas is a banned book, because it was removed from a Dover curriculum that it was never part of, and was removed from a library that it is still in.

I wish some of these guys would review my grant applications.

Bob

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,21:21   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Sep. 26 2006,13:37)

I followed Wesley's link after laughing at Steve's parody.

Bloody héll! It's not a parody!

someotherguy

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2006,22:26   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Sep. 27 2006,00:49)
One thing caught my attention looking at the blogs (warning: your didn't think I could sink any lower in your esteem, I'm about to disprove it).

The two most recent posts are from yesterday (the 26th).  The previous post is from July.  Similarly the posts in the fora: a couple of recent ones, and then stuff from July or earlier.

According to Dembski, the site was "not yet up and running" on the 10th August (
link).  So how could people post blog entries and forum comments?

Curious.

Bob

I wondered the same thing.  Very strange. . .

--------------
Evolander in training

bourgeois_rage

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2006,03:28   

What makes something a science? Personally, I think science is about discovering the world through observation. Sometimes, we discover things that were designed. So, if somethings in the world have been designed, it makes sense that science could include their discovery.

The have overwhelming forums!

--------------
Overwhelming Evidence: Apply directly to the forehead.

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2006,03:48   

Quote (bourgeois_rage @ Sep. 27 2006,08:28)
[The have overwhelming forums!

I think overwhelming redundancy is the correct term.

Hi all,

I am Denyse O'Leary, a Toronto-based Canadian journalist. I follow the intelligent design controversy as a major beat. From time to time, I will post news and comment.*

It seems that they just spend their days posting to each others blogs.  Something of a mutual admiration society.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2006,04:35   

Quote (Occam's Aftershave @ Sep. 26 2006,19:59)
I like this part

Overwhelming Evidence is a site where high school students can network and communicate their views on intelligent design and evolution.

We believe that today's students are smarter than they are given credit for, and that rather than being told what to believe, they have the ability to explore the range of possibilities and figure out what to believe on their own.

Wow.  OE is like a teenage version of AFDave's "Lies4Kids", only even more underhanded.

This new site reminds me a lot of the old cigarette ad campaign with "Joe Camel", where teens were manipulated with things like "We say smoking is for ADULTS only, so if you're not ADULT enough , DON'T SMOKE".  Substitute ID for SMOKE and you get the picture.

Nothing like pandering to the desperate desire of adolescent kids' to be grown up to sell the product.

Yes. Church is for teaching them independant thought also. ???

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2006,04:38   

There are currently 3 users and 7 guests online.
Online users
admin
oleary
Alan Fox

Same ol' same ol'!

--------------

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2006,05:26   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Sep. 27 2006,09:38)

There are currently 3 users and 7 guests online.
Online users
admin
oleary
Alan Fox

Same ol' same ol'!

That gave me an evil idea.  Alas, the usernames are not case sensitive, so I couldn't have Admin as a username.  But Administrator wasn't taken.  :-)

Any suggestions for what to do?  I don't want to make a total mess, but some gentle fun could be had.

Bob

--------------

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 219 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226 227 228 229 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]