RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >   
  Topic: How is the Bible consistent with science?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 22 2006,14:50   

Quote (Russell @ Jan. 22 2006,20:26)
Are you aware that in Northern Europe during the ice age the life expectancy of an adult was the same as now?
That's interesting. Not that I find it so very unlikely. I wouldn't have thought there were enough data to be very confident of it. What's your source?

A few fairly recent BBC documentaries of bodies found.

Do not forget that during the Ice age Northern Europeans lived in very small groups. Had rigorous exersice and a healthy diet. It was also a hostile environment for germs/virus.

So it does make sense.

Infant mortality was high though.

Compare that to early civilisation. Lots of people permanently settled in a place without drainage. Imagine living in a pile of human waste.

heddle

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,01:42   

STJ,

so here we clearly see that miracles are indeed subjective by definition.

why would you presume, by your own logic then, that any of the other things in the bible you currently think of as "miracles" would not also be considered in a similar fashion?
This would appear as one example of this claim. However, the whole complaint is a red herring. When the bible talks about cosmology, or in other instances of potential scientific errors—rabbits chewing cud, Noahic flood, etc,  there is no “miracle escape clause.” Miracles have a certain flavor about them i.e.,—short duration, clearly written as miracles and most importantly recognized as miracles by the witnesses.

You guys want this too-simplistic criticism—that anything that is shown to be unscientific can simply be declared a miracle—but that is unthinking.

Russell,
Your comment I quoted suggests you think there's a different reason for the interest.
Yes, a belief in biblical error reinforces your notion that the opposition is a bunch of mouth-breathing morons, and that their position would be dismissed by anyone who has married outside their own family. That’s why you want biblical inerrancy, especially scientific consistency, to be easily refutable.

Steve S,
The I&O are completely consistent with science. The parts which don't seem to be are all miracles, so they don't count.
Wrong. Argument by trivialization.

Arden,
If it's fair game in proving the 'scientific accuracy' of the Bible to say that everything that is objectively impossible is a 'miracle' (basically walling off everything difficult), then why even be a Christian apologist at all? That precise line of argumentation would serve you just as well in proving the 'scientific accuracy' of the Koran, the Vedas, Dianetics, or the Navajo creation legend.
Wrong. Another argument by trivialization. The short-term aspects of miracles means they leave little or no signature other than witnesses. Creation, however, leaves definite signatures. Any religion’s creation account must be consistent with science.

And anything said in routine dialog in the bible has to be scientifically consistent. That is why we, as apologists, are required to explain things like the pi=3 problem beyond saying “at that instant God miraculously changed pi to 3.”

What you guys are really saying is that there are no miracles. If there were no miracles, then it would make sense to ask “why even be a Christian apologist at all?”.

Russell,
Let's imagine, for the sake of argument, that some high-tech archeologist managed to locate and identify the remains of Methuselah, and proved somehow that the old guy had in fact lived to the impressive - for those days, I imagine - old age of 63. Would you (a) assume that the archeologist had to be mistaken, or (b) decide that the 900+ year age was not meant literally?
If the result was demonstrated beyond doubt, I’d say the bible was in error. You are essentially asking me, if the bible is shown to be in error, would it be in error?

Arden Chatfield ,
Since you're now 'accepting science', can you you tell us why people now live as tenth as long as they did back then? Why does this not qualify as yet another one of your miracles?
I thought I explained that in a previous post. I cannot give the detailed science, because it is in its infancy, but research is ongoing into genetic causes of aging, the cessation of cell reproduction, etc. It leaves the door open to the possibility that we were genetically altered for shorter lifespans.

Chris Hyland,
I agree its not fair to try and interpret the entire bible literally, but why then should we not just take the resurrection etc as metaphor.
That’s like asking, why can’t  you be a Christian without being a Christian? The essence of Christianity is not that everyone should love one another—that’s important but not the essence —the essence of Christianity is that the resurrection happened.

Chris Hyland,
An interesting question for further creationist research. Presumably either God altered their genes to extend their lifespan, or altered ours to shorten it.
The genetic causes of aging is an interesting, legitimate, and ongoing research topic for mainstream “normal” science.  

Stephen Elliott ,
BTW. I am only talking adults here. Child mortality was higher. But if someone made it to adulthood they could expect a long life.

I am glad someone pointed out the flaw in that “one-tenth” argument. Life expectancy at birth is almost irrelevant.

Arden Chatfield
About now we can maybe expect one or two more peevish emails from him where he snarls something about our attitude and how we're misquoting him or whatever, but without actually answering the question.
What question, specifically, have I not answered? Can you back up this allegation?

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

gregonomic

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,02:10   

Heddle wrote:
What you guys are really saying is that there are no miracles. If there were no miracles, then it would make sense to ask “why even be a Christian apologist at all?”.

Yes, that's exactly what we're saying. The belief, or not, in miracles (or the possibility thereof) is a pretty big difference in opinion, wouldn't you say, David? It renders most of our discussions with you moot.

So what do you think makes some people more inclined than others to accept miracles? Were you brought up in a religious environment?

Lord Monar

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,03:12   

The bible is not consistent with science because the writers did not know the first thing about science.

They were telling tails and explaining as best the could before the advent of what we consider science.

Most of it is a fairy tale, about as accurate as the Roman, Greek, Norse, or (insert any ancient society) mythology.  The few parts that are historically accurate are so full of bias, and second and third level sources it cannot be take literally.

The bible was written by scientifically illiterates for the purpose of educating even more illiterate people long before any serious science began.

It only shows the Funies are scientifically illiterate because they take an obviously flawed book as the "inerrant" truth of everything!

heddle

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,03:47   

Gregonomic,

If you see no difference between the positions: (1) There are no miracles, and  (2) Miracles aside, the bible is inconsistent with science, then we have nothing to talk about. I’ll only debate the second position.

So what do you think makes some people more inclined than others to accept miracles? Were you brought up in a religious environment?
I was not brought up in a religious environment. People are not “inclined” to believe the bible (which includes the miracles)—they are either given the faith (as opposed to somehow mustering the faith) or they don’t have it and can’t have it. You see, you comfort yourself that you have rationally decided against believing, but in fact that’s not the case at all—it is impossible for you to believe unless you are drawn by God.

Lord Manor,

Gee, did you think up that response all on your own! That is very impressive. You have developed a highly original, pithy comment: the bible is a fairy tale written by primitive men! I don’t imagine anyone ever considered that possibility! Kudos! You have certainly enlightened me. (btw, If you are less than 13 years old, then your argument is age appropriate, and I apologize for the sarcasm.)

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,03:48   

... a belief in biblical error reinforces your notion that the opposition is a bunch of mouth-breathing morons, and that their position would be dismissed by anyone who has married outside their own family. That’s why you want biblical inerrancy, especially scientific consistency, to be easily refutable.
Wow.

Speaking just for myself, I weigh the available evidence and use my best judgment as to what are credible and what are far-fetched claims. What I deem likely and unlikely, really, is not all about you.

Do you think my motivations for deeming the Iliad & Odyssey more fancy than fact are different from deeming other ancient works of literature more fancy than fact? Why or why not?

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,03:48   

Quote (heddle @ Jan. 23 2006,07:42)
You guys want this too-simplistic criticism—that anything that is shown to be unscientific can simply be declared a miracle—but that is unthinking.

That's too bad, since, uh, that's what you DO, David...

Congratulations, you pretty much answered exactly like we predicted.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,03:55   

You see, you comfort yourself that you have rationally decided against believing, but in fact that’s not the case at all—it is impossible for you to believe unless you are drawn by God.

Does this mean that god chooses who believes in him and who doesnt? That seems a little unfair. If people did believe but then lost their faith does this mean god abondoned them, or they didnt really believe all along?

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,03:57   

Quote (heddle @ Jan. 23 2006,07:42)
I thought I explained that in a previous post. I cannot give the detailed science, because it is in its infancy, but research is ongoing into genetic causes of aging, the cessation of cell reproduction, etc. It leaves the door open to the possibility that we were genetically altered for shorter lifespans.

Uh, extremely VAGUE there, Heddle, did you overhear someone talking about this on a bus?

1) 'we were genetically altered': by whom? why?

2) what reason is there to accept this other than that it makes it a bit easier for you to take a literalist interpretation of the Bible? Given that you can't REALLY support this at all, wouldn't it be a far far likelier explanation that it's simply a myth that those people lived to be centuries old? And more to the point, why should anyone who doesn't have a stake in the inerrancy of the bible believe this?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,04:02   

Quote (Chris Hyland @ Jan. 23 2006,09:55)
You see, you comfort yourself that you have rationally decided against believing, but in fact that’s not the case at all—it is impossible for you to believe unless you are drawn by God.

Why should we consider you an expert in what goes on inside of others' heads? And why are you an expert in what god does? How are you qualified to make these statements? Seems awfully arrogant, to me...

--------------

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,04:02   

Heddle:

If you see no difference between the positions: (1) There are no miracles, and  (2) Miracles aside, the bible is inconsistent with science, then we have nothing to talk about. I’ll only debate the second position.

I'm not sure I understand this. Are you taking the position that there ARE miracles? I can certainly understand that there's no room for debate between those who believe in miracles and those who want actual evidence. Evidence is *always* the sticking point.

But maybe you're saying that what you wish to discuss is whether the bible is consistent with science except for the miracles? Seems to me this would reduce down to a rather uninteresting exercise. Take each statement from the bible. If there is scientific support, then the bible is scientific. If there is not, then it's a miracle and you don't discuss those!

I agree that one doesn't Believe on the evidence, nor is Believing a rational or conscious choice. Once evidence enters the Temple of Mental Defense, it has impressively corrosive effects.

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,04:20   

[people] are either given the faith (as opposed to somehow mustering the faith) or they don’t have it and can’t have it. You see, you comfort yourself that you have rationally decided against believing, but in fact that’s not the case at all—it is impossible for you to believe unless you are drawn by God.
Probably this was written in haste, and otherwise would have been worded differently. When you wrote:
"in fact... it is impossible for you to believe..."
probably you meant to write  "I believe it is impossible", or something like that.

Or perhaps this points to a key difference in worldview here: I would say any statement at all about "God" has to be a belief, "faith" if you will, and not a "fact".

--------------

gregonomic

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,04:26   

Heddle wrote:
If you see no difference between the positions: (1) There are no miracles, and  (2) Miracles aside, the bible is inconsistent with science, then we have nothing to talk about.

I see the difference, David. But I agree that, given that you believe in miracles and I don't, there is nothing more to talk about.

I’ll only debate the second position.

So you keep saying. The miracles aren't up for debate. Kinda takes the fun out of it, really.

People are not “inclined” to believe the bible (which includes the miracles)—they are either given the faith (as opposed to somehow mustering the faith) or they don’t have it and can’t have it.

Are you serious? Seems a little arbitrary to me. Are you sure the time at which you were "given the faith" didn't coincide with some other milestone in your life? Maybe you met a nice girl, or someone close to you died, or you had a near-death experience, or something? Or did you just wake up one morning and say "Oh, hey God, how did you get into my bedroom?"?

You see, you comfort yourself that you have rationally decided against believing...

Yes, I do.

...but in fact that’s not the case at all—it is impossible for you to believe unless you are drawn by God.

You realise you're taking quite an extreme position here, David? It makes me wonder whether you're capable of judging what is rational and what isn't.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,04:27   

BTW, I have reviewed the correct translations of the Looney Tunes cartoons, and they are all entirely compatible with science. When Wiley Coyote walks off the ledge and doesn't immediately fall, that is simply a miracle. When the road runner speeds through a rock painted to look like a tunnel, that is also a miracle.

Isn't it amazing how infallible the Looney Tunes are?

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,04:34   

Quote (stevestory @ Jan. 23 2006,10:27)
When Wiley Coyote walks off the ledge and doesn't immediately fall, that is simply a miracle.

No, when Wiley Coyote runs off the cliff and doesn't fall right away, that's not a miracle, that's scientific. You see, I saw this article a while ago, and while I don't remember it real well, or can't explain it, and the science is in its infancy, it appears as tho back then, gravity was different from how it is now. There's reason to believe that gravity was less then, so people (and coyotes) didn't always fall right away.

Once again, Warner Brothers proves itself completely compatible with science. You guys sure seem to be obsessed with proving Loony Tunes wrong!

--------------

Paul Flocken

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,04:35   

Heddle,
On your blog there are, so far, only three posts addressing the scientific innerrancy assertians.  The Third Yom, Value of Pi, and the Bats are Birds.  Are those the only ones so far?  How deep into the archives should I dig to find anymore?  
Paul

--------------
"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie--deliberate, contrived, and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.  Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."-John F. Kennedy

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,04:40   

However, the roadrunner running through a rock painted to look like a tunnel IS a miracle.  That one's not science.

But since it's a miracle, it still doesn't disprove Loony Tunes.

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,04:45   

Oh, I forgot gravity was different then.

Indeed, arden, this discussion proves how deeply we atheists need Looney Tunes to be incompatible with science. It is crucial.

heddle

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,05:00   

Russell,

Do you think my motivations for deeming the Iliad & Odyssey more fancy than fact are different from deeming other ancient works of literature more fancy than fact? Why or why not?

Of course they are different—you have no fear that a large number of people who take the Iliad as inerrant will ever obtain vast political power. I would think it obvious that everyone on here views “fundamentalists” as a formidable cultural movement.

Aden,
Congratulations, you pretty much answered exactly like we predicted.

You should speak for yourself. I think some of you, Stephen Elliott comes to mind, while he disagrees with me, I think he (maybe I’m wrong) acknowledges that there is a meaningful question about the scientific accuracy of the bible, miracles aside, and that it is not a foregone conclusion that I’ll just declare a miracle whenever I’m forced into a corner.

Chris Hyland,
Does this mean that god chooses who believes in him and who doesnt? That seems a little unfair. If people did believe but then lost their faith does this mean god abondoned them, or they didnt really believe all along?
Yes—and yes it seems unfair—and yes it means that they really didn’t believe all along (or that they will return, as it were.) If you are actually interested in this theological position, I have started a series on it here

Arden,
Uh, extremely VAGUE there, Heddle, did you overhear someone talking about this on a bus?
Let me turn that around—are you admitting that you are unaware of research into the genetic causes of aging?

Why should we consider you an expert in what goes on inside of others' heads? And why are you an expert in what god does? How are you qualified to make these statements? Seems awfully arrogant, to me
Are you going to go Lenny on me? Can we not just assume that every theological point that I make is just my opinion based on my reading of the bible? It would be much easier if we just take that as a given.

Flint,
there's no room for debate between those who believe in miracles and those who want actual evidence. Evidence is *always* the sticking point.

But maybe you're saying that what you wish to discuss is whether the bible is consistent with science except for the miracles? Seems to me this would reduce down to a rather uninteresting exercise. Take each statement from the bible. If there is scientific support, then the bible is scientific. If there is not, then it's a miracle and you don't discuss those!

I agree that one doesn't Believe on the evidence, nor is Believing a rational or conscious choice. Once evidence enters the Temple of Mental Defense, it has impressively corrosive effects.

Have you read the other posts?—I have painstakingly stated that miracles happened, that by definition they are inexplicable, and they therefore are exempted from the debate You can join the herd and say: “well, then with that giant loophole what’s the point?” or you can think about it for a moment and consider that the bible makes many statements that (a) obviously were not describing the miraculous and (b) can be examined for scientific error.

I gather you guys really want the debate to go this way:

Heddle: no I don’t believe in miracles.
You: Then what about the parting of the Red Sea, explain THAT by science!

Gregonomic,
You realise you're taking quite an extreme position here, David? It makes me wonder whether you're capable of judging what is rational and what isn't.
It is not an extreme position. It is well known in orthodox Christianity, and usually goes by the name “Total Depravity” or, more commonly, "Original Sin".

Paul Flocken,

Those are the only ones so far. The next one will probably be the “rabbits chew their cud” criticism.

--------------

gregonomic

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,05:27   

It is an extreme position, David. If I understand you correctly, you're saying there is no correlation between whether someone was brought up in a religious environment and whether they end up having religious tendencies. That is patently false.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,05:34   

Quote (gregonomic @ Jan. 23 2006,11:27)
It is an extreme position, David. If I understand you correctly, you're saying there is no correlation between whether someone was brought up in a religious environment and whether they end up having religious tendencies. That is patently false.

I hope he doesn't believe that, but it is a position I've seen with a few evangelicals like Heddle before -- they say that they're Christians because of how truthful it is, or because God spoke to them, or because they CHOSE it for whatever reason. What they DON'T say is "I'm a Christian because my parents were and everyone else around me was". The fact that they were raised in and lived in a context and a society where Christianity is approved of and very strongly encouraged doesn't enter into it. It's the same thing as claiming that every Muslim in Saudi Arabia is a Muslim because they chose to be so, or because the religion makes so much sense.

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,05:47   

Indeed, Arden, I was sitting in Ideas Coffeehouse in Durham this very weekend and heard someone talking about that concept. He said it distinguished theologians from idiots, that when he makes that point to scholars they usually resort to some version of "well, they're all reflections of the same truth, so other religions are basically fine", but when he makes that point to uneducated people the response is more often anger and animosity.

gregonomic

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,05:49   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Jan. 23 2006,11:34)
I hope he doesn't believe that, but it is a position I've seen with a few evangelicals like Heddle before -- they say that they're Christians because of how truthful it is, or because God spoke to them, or because they CHOSE it for whatever reason. What they DON'T say is "I'm a Christian because my parents were and everyone else around me was". The fact that they were raised in and lived in a context and a society where Christianity is approved of and very strongly encouraged doesn't enter into it.

Well, Heddle claims he wasn't raised in a religious environment, so there must be some other explanation in his case.

But surely he can't be denying that religion, for the most part, gets 'em while they're young?

I guess the other possibility he might propose is that people who are brought up in religious environments are simply more likely to be leading Godly lives, and are therefore more likely to be drawn by God. That would be a tenuous argument though.

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,05:53   

I wrote:
To which Heddle replied:
Of course they are different—you have no fear that a large number of people who take the Iliad as inerrant will ever obtain vast political power. I would think it obvious that everyone on here views “fundamentalists” as a formidable cultural movement.
I think you should question your certainty about who thinks what and why. Do you think that if some bizarre turn of events brought I&O "inerrantists" to power next week, the reasons I have today for being skeptical would cease to be? I was skeptical of the "inerrancy" of your bible back when I was incorrectly confident the religious right was too fringy ever to get their hands on the reins of the federal government. But that I feel it my patriotic duty to oppose their political agenda is due, in part, to my conclusion that bible-based reality is nonsense - not the other way around.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,05:54   

Quote (heddle @ Jan. 23 2006,11<!--emo&:0)
Have you read the other posts?—I have painstakingly stated that miracles happened, that by definition they are inexplicable, and they therefore are exempted from the debate You can join the herd and say: “well, then with that giant loophole what’s the point?” or you can think about it for a moment and consider that the bible makes many statements that (a) obviously were not describing the miraculous and (b) can be examined for scientific error.

It's not 'joining the herd', Heddle. Millions of Americans take YOUR position, that impossible things in the Bible really did happen because they're miracles. Yours is not an especially brave or nonconformist position.

It is in fact a very real issue, which you're doing an amazing job of ignoring.

Bottom line: WHY examine statements in the bible for factual error, if anything that is a factual error can, as a general principle, be exempted as a miracle? MANY people think this is a valid question that you haven't answered in any meaningful way.

Seriously, Heddle, this would not be a problem, except that you do go around saying that the Bible does not conflict with science. If you actually said, "there are things in the Bible that I know conflict with science but I choose to believe them anyway", then there'd be no problem. I for wouldn't bother arguing with you, since there's no way to argue with that. I wouldn't want to emulate that position but it would at least be honest. Instead, you keep coming here and to PT over and over and over and over, for who knows what reason, making the claim that the Bible and science are compatible with no problems. Repeatedly many different extremely smart people point out to you how many conflicts there are. (BECAUSE YOU BROUGHT IT UP.) And you say the same thing -- 'that's a miracle, it doesn't count. Why can't you understand this?' Given how few converts you've made to this position, why do you still bother?

--------------

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,06:08   

And you say the same thing -- 'that's a miracle, it doesn't count. Why can't you understand this?'

Step 1: The bible is always inerrant.
Step 2: Where the bible is wrong, see step 1.

heddle

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,06:16   

That is not a valid conclusion from my position. For the bible, while it teaches that God chooses, does not teach that He does so randomly—and so a correlation is to be expected. This “extreme” position as you call it is Covenantal theology. Though the theology of the reformers, it is no longer the majority view among Protestants, but is still quite common (and appears to be on the rise again)—especially in certain denominations. You might also know it as “Calvinism”. Those, in Protestantism, who oppose covenantal theology include such well-known evangelists as Pat Robertson, Tim LeHaye,  and Jerry Falwell. So you are in agreement with them that this Covenantal theology stuff is loony.

Arden,

hope he doesn't believe that, but it is a position I've seen with a few evangelicals like Heddle before -- they say that they're Christians because of how truthful it is, or because God spoke to them, or because they CHOSE it for whatever reason. What they DON'T say is "I'm a Christian because my parents were and everyone else around me was". The fact that they were raised in and lived in a context and a society where Christianity is approved of and very strongly encouraged doesn't enter into it. It's the same thing as claiming that every Muslim in Saudi Arabia is a Muslim because they chose to be so, or because the religion makes so much sense.

I think I already stated that I was not raised a Christian. An God did not speak to me (audibly), but nevertheless he “drew” me, a la Jesus’ statement: No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. (John 6:44) The word translated here as “draws” appears two other times in the NT, in those places it is translated as “drags” or “compels”.  You get the picture. You don’t choose God and then are reborn, that’s backwards. You are reborn and then choose God. So if you are not reborn, it’s not that your vaunted intellect is saving you from the bad choice of Christianity—you in fact are incapable of choosing anything other than unbelief.

Gergornomic:
I guess the other possibility he might propose is that people who are brought up in religious environments are simply more likely to be leading Godly lives, and are therefore more likely to be drawn by God. That would be a tenuous argument though.

For once we agree. “Leading a Godly life” has nothing to do with it. Perhaps this passage will help explain my position—for background, if you don’t know it, Abraham’s son was Isaac— Isaac’s wife was Rebecca—she had twins, the older was Esau and the younger was Jacob. Jacob became a patriarch even though he was a rascal. Esau, though seemingly a man of some integrity, lost everything. The bible explains:

And not only so, but also when Rebecca had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac, though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of his call— she was told, “The older will serve the younger.” As it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.” (Rom. 9:10-13)

Before they were born, and not because of Godly living, God chose (loved) Jacob and did not choose (hated) Esau. On what basis did He chose Jacob? I have no clue.

Steve S,
Indeed, Arden, I was sitting in Ideas Coffeehouse in Durham this very weekend and heard someone talking about that concept. He said it distinguished theologians from idiots

It carries a great deal of weght with me that someone in your coffee house characterizes theologians such as Augustine, Aquinas, Luther, Calvin, Spurgeon,  Jonathan Edwards, Francis Schaeffer, etc, all of whom taught that the bible teaches  predestination (which is what we are really talking about here), idiots. That really is convincing.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,06:26   

Quote (heddle @ Jan. 23 2006,12:16)
It carries a great deal of weght with me that someone in your coffee house characterizes theologians such as Augustine, Aquinas, Luther, Calvin, Spurgeon,  Jonathan Edwards, Francis Schaeffer, etc, all of whom taught that the bible teaches  predestination (which is what we are really talking about here), idiots. That really is convincing.

Careful, you're starting to sound like Josh Bozeman. We know you're smarter than him.

--------------

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,06:29   

Yes—and yes it seems unfair—and yes it means that they really didn’t believe all along (or that they will return, as it were.) If you are actually interested in this theological position, I have started a series on it here

I have read your posts on predetermination, although I have been told many times that all of my actions are selfish and sinful, i have never been told that this is all preditermined and there is nothing i can do about it. Is a good act then defined as one that is done in pursuit of god, or one that is done by someone who is preditermined to follow god?

This does go some way to explain why a lot of people say you need religion to have morals, but it also widens the gap between religion and atheism if there are many people who simply cant be saved. And im sure you've heard this one before, but i take exception to being told that my good deeds are selfish and evil when someone else, (referring to the majority of religious people) whos primary motivation for good deeds is securing eternal life for themselves is not selfish.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2006,06:31   

I don't. Does Bozeman also believe creating and refuting obvious strawmen is going to work here? If not it might be him who's smarter.

165 replies since Jan. 04 2006,06:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]